PDA

View Full Version : Austin | RiverSouth (425 Riverside) | 234 Feet | 15 Floors | Complete

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The ATX
Mar 31, 2017, 10:18 PM
We've known about this project since last year, but it's worthy of it's own thread now. This is the Hooters site. It's good to see projects like this south of the river.

http://www.mystatesman.com/rf/image_medium/Pub/p8/MyStatesman/2017/03/31/Images/newsEngin.18240566_schulzrendering.jpg
http://www.mystatesman.com/business/high-rise-planned-for-hooters-site-near-downtown-austin/OdWFas2Gug9CC6T7DEJnGN/?ref=cbTopWidget

The ATX
Mar 31, 2017, 10:29 PM
Here's the site plan. It was posted in the update thread a while back. The attachments have a lot of info - a better word may be minutiae.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=11652029&t_selected_propertyrsn=664784

KevinFromTexas
Mar 31, 2017, 10:57 PM
It reminds me of the Jawa transport. This looks like it'll be a pretty sweet building.

drummer
Apr 1, 2017, 1:44 AM
Man, I like that one. I think it'd do great on an oddly-shaped lot as well. If my interpretation of things is correct, it appears that this one is facing S. 1st....is that correct?

Jdawgboy
Apr 1, 2017, 2:13 AM
It reminds me of the Jawa transport. This looks like it'll be a pretty sweet building.

Haha I was thinking the same exact thing.

wwmiv
Apr 1, 2017, 3:28 AM
21k sq.ft. of retail. That's good to hear.

the Genral
Apr 1, 2017, 10:35 PM
All glass, 21k retail space, nice shape, great location, winner. Taking over a year just getting through the process to get to ground breaking, per the AAS today, not so winning.

lzppjb
Apr 1, 2017, 10:52 PM
It's pretty, but it's going to make the traffic there even worse. Maybe someday it'll house a bunch of car-less people.

drummer
Apr 2, 2017, 1:03 AM
It's pretty, but it's going to make the traffic there even worse. Maybe someday it'll house a bunch of car-less people.

Unfortunately that will probably be the case until Austin folks wake up and realize that mass-transit is necessary in so many ways.

austlar1
Apr 2, 2017, 3:24 AM

What large new building put up anywhere in Central Austin is not going to make for increased traffic? Don't be like those NIMBYS up in Bouldin who are already having a cow about this or any other project for that area. All these new projects do is make the single family homes and property in Bouldin more valuable and more desirable.

The ATX
Apr 2, 2017, 4:07 AM

My first thought was did you move into the Bouldin neighborhood? :) This project only has 10 residential units so it can't house too many people with or without cars.

H2O
Apr 2, 2017, 1:42 PM
All glass, 21k retail space, nice shape, great location, winner. Taking over a year just getting through the process to get to ground breaking, per the AAS today, not so winning.

I predict ground breaking is at least two years away.

futures
Apr 3, 2017, 12:33 AM
I love this! What an amazing improvement to one of the most ugly lots in town. I hope this kicks off more development in the South Shore District.

Also, I live in Bouldin. Everyone I know in the neighborhood loathes the hooters sitting there now. Yes, it will slightly increase traffic around the neighborhood, but so does every building in and around downtown. Fighting development like this is not only selfish, but it's a loser's battle. This development will happen.

I'll be showing up to BCNA meetings to vocally support this project.

the Genral
Apr 3, 2017, 1:09 AM
I predict ground breaking is at least two years away.

Maybe not quite that long, if they get the green light, and it takes about a year, I would think they would have all their ducks lined up so they can get started and would want to get started right afterward. I do hate waiting for ground breaking on projects I like, and I do like this one. I'm not getting any younger. :oldlady:

paul78701
Apr 3, 2017, 6:08 PM
I love this! What an amazing improvement to one of the most ugly lots in town. I hope this kicks off more development in the South Shore District.

Also, I live in Bouldin. Everyone I know in the neighborhood loathes the hooters sitting there now. Yes, it will slightly increase traffic around the neighborhood, but so does every building in and around downtown. Fighting development like this is not only selfish, but it's a loser's battle. This development will happen.

I'll be showing up to BCNA meetings to vocally support this project.

I always get the feeling that when opposition arises to something like this, it's from a very loud minority. I'd bet that surveys would show that, in most cases, most of the people in the neighborhood are okay with it or simply ambivalent/unaware of it.

H2O
Apr 4, 2017, 10:40 AM
Maybe not quite that long, if they get the green light, and it takes about a year, I would think they would have all their ducks lined up so they can get started and would want to get started right afterward. I do hate waiting for ground breaking on projects I like, and I do like this one. I'm not getting any younger. :oldlady:

This project needs PUD zoning. Despite the South Shore Central Framework Plan, it will remain controversial with Bouldin and their ANC allies. The zoning process alone could take a year. They will then need to get site plan approval, which will likely take at least a year as well. They could start site plan right away while zoning is pending, but if the zoning does prove to be controversial, Stream will be reluctant to invest too much money in the site plan process until they know they have their zoning. That is why I am predicting at least two years. How many recent projects (with appropriate zoning) broke ground within two years of announcement? With the exception of White Lodging hotels, not very many.

KevinFromTexas
May 5, 2017, 4:23 PM
This is from the print edition of today's Biz Journal. It shows the Schulz site development in context with its neighbors. http://www.bizjournals.com/austin

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/AusTxDevelopment/ABJ_5-5-17_Blurb_w_Massing_zpsrzjw15ja.jpg

Cross-posted from the update thread.

Geckos_Rule
May 5, 2017, 4:45 PM
Cross-posted from the update thread.

Well maybe it's the angle, but that looks a lot worse, and generally more plain than the other renderings we've seen....

the Genral
May 6, 2017, 1:31 AM
Well maybe it's the angle, but that looks a lot worse, and generally more plain than the other renderings we've seen....

Its definitely the angle. The interesting angles are still there, just not as noticeable because of the reflective glass and glare. This is going to be the sexiest building in that part of town imo.

KevinFromTexas
May 6, 2017, 5:22 PM
It's the same. The balcony in the upper left corner is still there, and the angled facade is still there (note the difference in the reflection on it). This also seems to show some kind of overrun on the roof, either a lattice-type structure or a glass screen wall above the roofline. This is really going to be one of the nicest new buildings we'll have. I think it's really modern.

Sigaven
May 8, 2017, 3:41 PM
Finally something to hide that disgrace 422 At The Lake at least a little bit.

starboy92
May 8, 2017, 6:30 PM
It looks like the angles create a shaded overhang for the sidewalk?
I cant wait for this one

The ATX
Jun 8, 2017, 11:28 PM
They're drilling core samples on the site today.

The ATX
Jun 16, 2017, 9:02 PM
A permit was filed today to close lanes around the site for utility work. This is my second favorite mid-rise. SXSW's HQ is my favorite.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=11741600&t_selected_propertyrsn=2019329

The ATX
Aug 26, 2017, 1:34 PM
This Bisnow article could also be posted in the South Shore Central Vision thread, but it focuses on 425 Riverside:

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-antonio/news/commercial-real-estate/south-central-78046

From the article:
If all goes well, the zoning change could be before city council members by December.

The ATX
Nov 19, 2017, 2:54 AM
This project keeps getting punted around to different boards and commissions. These are from a presentation to the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board.

The presentation: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=286430

From the presentation:

https://i.imgur.com/rHLXpiE.png
https://i.imgur.com/qveGAxC.png
https://i.imgur.com/FwOyOEH.png

IluvATX
Nov 19, 2017, 4:06 AM
Wow it has 4 Retail spots. I really like this one.

drummer
Nov 19, 2017, 8:43 AM
Yeah, it really seems like the did a great job with the footprint of the ground floor. I also like the angle fronting South First. It's a nice touch.

We vs us
Nov 19, 2017, 1:55 PM
I like it, too. I like the shape, I like retail, I love that bulge in the curtain wall there. Totally cool project. I really hope it finally gets the nod.

futures
Nov 19, 2017, 3:58 PM
Love it! The retail/restaurant space on the corner of Riverside and S 1st would be a great spot for a cafe. There's a shocking lack of walkable cafe options for the thousands of people walking around town lake and auditorium shores.

drummer
Nov 19, 2017, 11:34 PM
Love it! The retail/restaurant space on the corner of Riverside and S 1st would be a great spot for a cafe. There's a shocking lack of walkable cafe options for the thousands of people walking around town lake and auditorium shores.

Yeah, hopefully that will continue to change with more development in that area. This is one area that can use as much ground-level retail/restaurants/etc. as possible.

Jdawgboy
Nov 20, 2017, 7:36 AM
Love it! Can't wait to see that Hooter's cleared out to make way for this.

It still looks like that thing from Star Wars. Lol

KevinFromTexas
Dec 16, 2017, 9:42 AM
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/180104/PLANS/AULCC_425%20West%20Riverside%20Drive_PLANS.pdf

Site plan, but no elevations included.

The ATX
Dec 30, 2017, 9:53 PM
A site plan was filed earlier this month. The previous permit filings were for a zoning change.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=11832517&t_selected_propertyrsn=664784

MichaelB
Dec 31, 2017, 1:00 AM
Finally.... that has been an underutilized block for decades!

KevinFromTexas
Feb 23, 2018, 11:19 PM
A drilling rig was on site this afternoon actively doing soil testing.

The ATX
Feb 24, 2018, 2:03 AM
A drilling rig was on site this afternoon actively doing soil testing.

I saw that too. The Planning Commission looks to finally be voting on the PUD at their next meeting - Tue., 02/27 - barring another last minute punt to the next month's meeting. Staff is recommending approval, and this may just be a consent item. Since it's a PUD the City Council has the final say. So this is far from a done deal. Long live Hooters and a dirt lot in the middle of the city.

KevinFromTexas
Feb 24, 2018, 2:22 AM
That seems like such an odd place for a Hooters. I always think of them more like Texas Roadhouse or Logan's Roadhouse - what I like to call highway food. The only time I've eaten at Hooters was at the one in San Antonio on the riverwalk with my brother, and at that Hooters on Barton Springs with a friend and fellow skyscraper nerd from Chicago who said he has a tradition of eating at Hooters in every city he visits.

The ATX
Feb 28, 2018, 8:55 PM
This passed the Planning Commission and moves to City Council. There was a comment made about the approval process taking another six months as it moves to City Council.

StoOgE
Feb 28, 2018, 9:01 PM
That seems like such an odd place for a Hooters. I always think of them more like Texas Roadhouse or Logan's Roadhouse - what I like to call highway food. The only time I've eaten at Hooters was at the one in San Antonio on the riverwalk with my brother, and at that Hooters on Barton Springs with a friend and fellow skyscraper nerd from Chicago who said he has a tradition of eating at Hooters in every city he visits.

It used to make sense when downtown was smaller and the South Shore didn't really exist as a concept beyond a couple of hotels right on the water.

There was a Bennigan's catacorner from there with Aussie's across the street it was sort of a crappy sports bar area. Most of South Congress and Riverside was strip mall style junk.

AusTxDevelopment
Apr 3, 2018, 6:17 PM
They passed the first round of PUD approval.

‘Snoopy PUD’ wins first-round approval
https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/04/snoopy-pud-wins-first-round-approval/

Council approved a complicated set of Planned Unit Development regulations at their March 22 meeting for the piece of property at Riverside Drive and South First Street currently occupied by a Hooters and a surface parking lot.

As Planning and Zoning Assistant Director Jerry Rusthoven explained to Council, “We have renamed this PUD the Snoopy PUD,” because Charles Schulz, the creator of the cartoon “Peanuts,” once owned the property. It is directly across the street from One Texas Center.

The PUD zoning won unanimous approval on first reading, with Council members Ellen Troxclair and Leslie Pool absent. At Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo’s request, the public hearing will remain open so citizens can comment when the item comes back for second and third reading.

The ATX
Apr 4, 2018, 12:41 AM
They passed the first round of PUD approval.

‘Snoopy PUD’ wins first-round approval
https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/04/snoopy-pud-wins-first-round-approval/

That's good news. But I'm still only cautiously hopeful because the second and third readings are where things sometimes get ugly and political.

KevinFromTexas
Apr 12, 2018, 10:52 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/04/12/plans-change-for-waterfront-high-rise-on-snoopy.html

Plans change for waterfront high-rise on 'Snoopy PUD,' which will replace Hooters near downtown Austin
Plan comes as office market booms

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
Apr 12, 2018, 8:02am CDT Updated 2 hours ago

Nicknamed the “Snoopy PUD,” the proposed planned unit development made it through the first reading at City Council March 22. After some tweaking, it’s expected to again be up for Council consideration April 26 for a second reading, according to city staff.

Under the proposal, the floor-to-area ratio — which determines how much square feet of space can be built on the property — would also bump up to 6:1 from 2:1 currently, Moore said.

Originally Stream had planned to build a 275,5025-square foot office tower with 21,045 square feet of retail space and 10 residential units, according to city zoning documents.

However, plans have changed and now there are no residential units involved and the office square footage has grown to 289,000 square feet, Moore said.

The ATX
May 11, 2018, 12:53 AM
Finally. The creation of the Snoopy (I prefer Hooter's) PUD passed on third and final reading a few minutes ago.

Jdawgboy
May 11, 2018, 1:55 AM
Finally. The creation of the Snoopy (I prefer Hooter's) PUD passed on third and final reading a few minutes ago.

I've never liked hooters but Snoopy is cute!:D

Glad it's moving toward.

We vs us
May 11, 2018, 3:07 AM
Yes, this is good.

Nickelplate
May 13, 2018, 5:33 AM
Im an advocate for large chested women, cold beer and a sports viewing sensory overload but the food sucks. Plow it and bring this tower into existance.

The ATX
May 29, 2018, 1:53 AM
Build it already.

https://i.imgur.com/8eEt8y7.png
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139854637@N07/28344012088/in/photolist-KbEtiA-Kfdo8U-26hp8bb-24ySxjo-261viYi-HEroGp-HErkrX-27fsf5Y-HJsx98-26afaSo-Kfx6yo-264pSQo-26aGuAU-K8wLjy-27chcwj-HBfBne-24h9rP5-HBfzQg-25TP9HF-24qri5E-25DKw8g-JToRKy-JToRPb-JToRSN-JToRR5-25DKwbx-25DKwjP-25VFHHS-Hw3D2v-Hw3CbT-25NfcSn-HB62TZ-25VuQS4-25QnadC-25MpwkT-25qPfzT-25qnznz-JDoreU-JKfLGG-25MxeYC-He22bX-2493S5j-2493S8f-GRuCoZ-oppPFH-25SDpUY-26MZsEN-25KSDQ9-JCQDUs-26LxbGT

Jdawgboy
Jun 1, 2018, 8:54 PM
Seeing as how it will be known as the Snoopy PUD, they need to put a 20 foot tall statue of Snoopy with an 8 foot accompanying Woodstock somewhere on the premises. It only makes sense...:tup:

KevinFromTexas
Jun 1, 2018, 9:34 PM
And some Jawa statues, too.

The ATX
Aug 23, 2018, 5:48 PM
The site plan is posted for the 09/06 AULCC meeting. The elevations are on pages 57-60. The height of the rooftop mechanical and lowest point at ground level are not listed. So the overall height has to be estimated. But 215' seems about right. The start of construction is listed as 10/01.

https://i.imgur.com/lqPUEUS.png
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/180906/

StoOgE
Aug 23, 2018, 8:10 PM
Do we know if the four retail spots (and hopefully a cafe/restaurant) survived the buildings move to office? Seems like a ripe spot for a nicer spot near the Long center.

urbancore
Aug 23, 2018, 8:29 PM
It would be cool to see a new RunTex store. I miss that place.

StoOgE
Aug 23, 2018, 8:43 PM
It would be cool to see a new RunTex store. I miss that place.

I mean, unless someone wants to pony up a couple 100K in back taxes I don't think that's gonna happen :p

KevinFromTexas
Aug 24, 2018, 5:58 AM
The site plan is posted for the 09/06 AULCC meeting. The elevations are on pages 57-60. The height of the rooftop mechanical and lowest point at ground level are not listed. So the overall height has to be estimated. But 215' seems about right. The start of construction is listed as 10/01.

https://i.imgur.com/lqPUEUS.png
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/180906/

That's about what I got on the height.

The elevations note that 1/16 of an inch equals 1 foot. If you look, the lowest elevation is the northwest corner of the lot. At that point, it drops 3 feet below the baseline 100 foot number. So, the main roof height, which appears to be the slab height, should be 197 feet. I measured the mechanical penthouse to be 19 feet above that line, so the overall height I got is 216 feet.

Either way, if this is a foot over 209 feet that'll make it the tallest south of the river - beating The Catherine.

The ATX
Aug 24, 2018, 1:36 PM
That's about what I got on the height.

The elevations note that 1/16 of an inch equals 1 foot. If you look, the lowest elevation is the northwest corner of the lot. At that point, it drops 3 feet below the baseline 100 foot number. So, the main roof height, which appears to be the slab height, should be 197 feet. I measured the mechanical penthouse to be 19 feet above that line, so the overall height I got is 216 feet.

Either way, if this is a foot over 209 feet that'll make it the tallest south of the river - beating The Catherine.

We'll go with 216' then. I just guessed; you spent some time on determining the number. :)

corvairkeith
Aug 24, 2018, 2:21 PM
Do we know if the four retail spots (and hopefully a cafe/restaurant) survived the buildings move to office? Seems like a ripe spot for a nicer spot near the Long center.

Maybe the Hooters could take one of the retail spots.

Jdawgboy
Aug 24, 2018, 10:31 PM
So 10/01, we are talking another 2 and a half+ years before they start. That's a long time to wait.

clubtokyo
Aug 25, 2018, 12:37 AM
So 10/01, we are talking another 2 and a half+ years before they start. That's a long time to wait.

Wait, what? I thought 10/01/2018?

The ATX
Aug 25, 2018, 12:54 AM
Wait, what? I thought 10/01/2018?

Yes, it is 10/01 meaning this October 1st. Not 10/21 (October 2021) as I think Jdawg was hinting at.

KevinFromTexas
Aug 25, 2018, 2:12 AM
We'll go with 216' then. I just guessed; you spent some time on determining the number. :)

I had a ruler/paint sturrer laying around on my desktop. :D

I'm looking forward to this one. I think it's going to be a pleasant surprise at how good it looks.

Jdawgboy
Aug 25, 2018, 2:37 AM
Yes, it is 10/01 meaning this October 1st. Not 10/21 (October 2021) as I think Jdawg was hinting at.

Which clearly my brain was in outer space when I posted earlier. Would have been 2001 not 2021 even if the last number indicated the year. Lol.

Glad it's starting this October..

The ATX
Sep 14, 2018, 3:14 PM
Here's a new rendering and an update from the Statesman:

https://www.mystatesman.com/business/statesman-exclusive-new-details-south-shore-office-tower/nzwL5RnCQKlb1P0CSPRvfO/

https://www.mystatesman.com/rf/image_medium/Pub/p9/MyStatesman/2018/09/14/Images/newsEngin.23020565_River-South-looking-downtown.jpg

Infinitely better than a Hooters and a parking lot.

The ATX
Sep 14, 2018, 3:24 PM
The ground breaking has moved to "2019". Still plenty of time to grab some of that fine Hooter's food.

AusTxDevelopment
Sep 14, 2018, 3:43 PM

https://www.mystatesman.com/business/statesman-exclusive-new-details-south-shore-office-tower/nzwL5RnCQKlb1P0CSPRvfO/

https://www.mystatesman.com/rf/image_medium/Pub/p9/MyStatesman/2018/09/14/Images/newsEngin.23020565_River-South-looking-downtown.jpg

They have a website now, with more detail and a downloadable brochure. It's called River South. http://www.riversouthaustin.com/

We vs us
Sep 14, 2018, 3:56 PM
I'm such a sucker for panoramas like this.

So many things to note -- not the least of which is how undeveloped the south shore really is. So many surface parking lots left!

Also -- that north shore view is going to get so much more bulky in the next couple of years . . . it's really amazing!

http://www.riversouthaustin.com/images/building/Image006_RiverSouth_Finalcut_NoCallouts_00173.jpg

masonh2479
Sep 14, 2018, 9:01 PM

An update from ABJ as well.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/09/14/first-look-plans-crystallize-for-office-tower-on.html

the Genral
Sep 15, 2018, 12:27 AM
I'm such a sucker for panoramas like this.

So many things to note -- not the least of which is how undeveloped the south shore really is. So many surface parking lots left!

That is a great shot. But I have to admit, the surface parking lots are not as offensive as 801 Barton Springs, and the disjointed Long Center. The gleaming glass on 425 Riverside offers some architectural relief to the south shore area. It pleases me. The 2019 start does not however.

The ATX
Sep 15, 2018, 2:43 AM
The website that AusTxDevelopment linked to as a lot of renderings and a nice video promoting this project and Austin. This will have a nice street level presence. The Gallery section has the video and renderings.

http://www.riversouthaustin.com/

KevinFromTexas
Sep 15, 2018, 3:01 AM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41807197_2047209001967152_345622413515423744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ae5f8ea5bc78d9cd0ebfe8e97b268297&oe=5C28996F

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41788388_2047209135300472_5004639555660283904_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1b70cfbe158b3a6e5d9a5c0a864e93a1&oe=5C2687E0

the Genral
Sep 15, 2018, 3:01 AM
The website that AusTxDevelopment linked to as a lot of renderings and a nice video promoting this project and Austin. This will have a nice street level presence. The Gallery section has the video and renderings.

http://www.riversouthaustin.com/

This one is really sweet, I definitely approve, especially if they keep those ginormous Tribbles on the roof.

NYC2ATX
Sep 15, 2018, 5:31 AM
http://www.riversouthaustin.com/images/building/Image006_RiverSouth_Finalcut_NoCallouts_00173.jpg

UM...I don't care that it's a rendering, it's my new desktop. This town is hotter than an egg-frying patch of sidewalk. I remember waiting for the 20 East Riverside bus across the street a few years back and being like "Hooters? Really?"

422 at the Lake was under construction back then. :P:D

lzppjb
Sep 15, 2018, 8:58 AM
When Threadgill's gets replaced with something similar, it's going to be a pretty cool little area.

futures
Sep 15, 2018, 3:23 PM
This has to be one of the best office views in Austin. And it will stay unobstructed.

https://i.imgur.com/Jjv2mjd.jpg

urbancore
Sep 15, 2018, 5:17 PM
I dig it. It's like the building has botulism on one side. Which I think looks cool.

I also agree with the surface parking lots, what a waste.

KevinFromTexas
Sep 20, 2018, 11:21 PM
Soil retention plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/181004/PLANS/AULCC%20-%20425%20West%20Riverside%20Retention%20System%20-%20PLAN%20-%2001.pdf

Sigaven
Sep 22, 2018, 4:57 AM
The one wide rendering with downtown in the background has me a little concerned that the parking garage won't be screened well enough. Are there any renderings that show the garage from closer to street level with the parking podium in view?

Geckos_Rule
Nov 28, 2018, 4:47 PM
They've already started pre-leasing this building, and I'm hearing that at least one company is planning to take a full floor of it already.

Austin_ez_wider
Nov 28, 2018, 10:47 PM
Soil retention plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/181004/PLANS/AULCC%20-%20425%20West%20Riverside%20Retention%20System%20-%20PLAN%20-%2001.pdf

Appears that this project will be incorporating diaphragm walls into their retention system. Nice to see contractors implementing out of the ordinary techniques to hopefully accelerate this project

eskimo33
Jan 22, 2019, 9:49 PM
I saw some really, really preliminary drainage and grading plans late last week. They did not look to be very far along, but it is more than I had seen in a long time.

The ATX
Jan 22, 2019, 10:05 PM
I saw some really, really preliminary drainage and grading plans late last week. They did not look to be very far along, but it is more than I had seen in a long time.

The site plan still hasn't been approved either. They made a big media push late last year as if the groundbreaking was imminent. But it may be a little while yet. Although I think groundbreaking was planned for this Spring which is still possible.

futures
Jan 25, 2019, 3:57 PM
Demo permit for Hooters was filed today. :cheers:

427MM
Jan 25, 2019, 3:59 PM
Demo permit for Hooters was filed today. :cheers:

Woohoo! They should be moving dirt within the next month. That site has sat undeveloped for far too long.

Jdawgboy
Jan 25, 2019, 8:14 PM
This has to be one of the best office views in Austin. And it will stay unobstructed.

https://i.imgur.com/Jjv2mjd.jpg

Hence why the office workers are lounging about and drinking glasses of wine because the view is just too nice to do any work.

Jdawgboy
Jan 25, 2019, 8:18 PM
On a serious note they should really consider a rooftop restaurant or bar/lounge. Would be the best public viewing spot. Sure the Hyatt has top floor event space but it's not really open to the public.

AusTxDevelopment
Jan 25, 2019, 8:35 PM
Some of you may know this already, but a great downtown view is from the men's room at the Headliners Club on top of Chase Tower. The view from the urinals is amazing, particularly at night. No, I am not kidding.

StoOgE
Jan 25, 2019, 8:58 PM
Some of you may know this already, but a great downtown view is from the men's room at the Headliners Club on top of Chase Tower. The view from the urinals is amazing, particularly at night. No, I am not kidding.

The mens restroom at the Hotel Century Southern in Tokyo is my favorite view of that city as well. It's hard to tell people "go to this kind of crappy lobby bar and pee if you really wanna see the city at its best"

At some point *some* building in Austin is going to do a rooftop space. I know the Line hotel has one coming, but that's not going to have great views. Same with Boiler Nine.

My money is at some point in time that Hyatt ballroom will get (at least partially) turned into a cocktail lounge/restaurant.

The ATX
Jan 25, 2019, 11:32 PM
We're good to go now. A tower cranes (plural) permit was filed today.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=12125330&t_selected_propertyrsn=664784

The ATX
Jan 28, 2019, 7:03 AM
Last chance for Hooter wings. No thank you, please. Towers is reporting demo is starting next week (Mon. 02/04).

https://austin.towers.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/riversouth_hooters-1170x800.jpg
https://austin.towers.net/

The ATX
Feb 5, 2019, 4:53 AM
Well, the Hooters demo didn't happen today. All the chairs are put up like they cleaned up the place and plan on opening up again tomorrow. :(

corvairkeith
Feb 5, 2019, 2:08 PM
I drove by yesterday and noticed that the signage has been removed from the building.

427MM
Feb 5, 2019, 2:49 PM
Yup--all the signs are gone, the B-cycle station has been removed, feels like it's about to go. Bye-bye, Hooters!

the Genral
Feb 5, 2019, 4:27 PM
Yup--all the signs are gone, the B-cycle station has been removed, feels like it's about to go. Bye-bye, Hooters!

All those booby-doos out of work, I wonder if Twin Peaks is hiring??? All for a good cause. I used to eat at the prior restaurant that was there but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it before it became Hooters. It was basically a seafood place I believe.

urbancore
Feb 5, 2019, 4:38 PM
All those booby-doos out of work, I wonder if Twin Peaks is hiring??? All for a good cause. I used to eat at the prior restaurant that was there but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it before it became Hooters. It was basically a seafood place I believe.

Jaliscos's?

KevinFromTexas
Feb 5, 2019, 7:15 PM
It was Pelican's Wharf. Here's a Statesman article from 2011 about the lot.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20111112/BUSINESS/311129727?template=ampart

zrx299
Feb 5, 2019, 8:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/p5ncKMW.jpg

the Genral
Feb 5, 2019, 8:47 PM
Ah yes...thanks guys. I thought the place was pretty cool with decent food. I remember beating crab claws with a wooden mallet and coating the wall next to me in crab meat. Cool find with the matchbooks zrx299.

The ATX
Feb 6, 2019, 5:46 AM
They won't be getting any more horrible reviews.

https://i.imgur.com/rDVszcy.png

Jdawgboy
Feb 6, 2019, 7:59 AM
They won't be getting any more horrible reviews.

https://i.imgur.com/rDVszcy.png

Oh now I know what I'm going to spend the next hour doing. Love reading negative reviews for entertainment purposes lol. You already know there are going to be some jems..

StoOgE
Feb 7, 2019, 12:44 PM
I used to do my fantasy drafts at that Hooters in college. One of my buddies was dating a waitress there and we got cheap beer.

Nothing about it will be missed.