PDA

View Full Version : Galway - St. John's Newest Development

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

NewfBC
Jun 19, 2019, 4:07 PM
The newest video describes the new store as a hybrid business centre, what does that mean?

Not really sure but in larger markets Costco has separate stores geared just to business services.

Costco has one such store in Canada, in the Toronto area. They carry a lot of business type stuff including industrial cookware, larger selection of food service packaged products, uniforms, etc.

More info here:
https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/

Ron.

Malreynolds
Jun 21, 2019, 8:35 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2WqYwsf7aJeAPEyG9
Someone posted these on Facebook pictures of the inside of the new Costco

Tommyswally
Jun 23, 2019, 3:22 PM
Are the gas pumps crowded at Galway Costco

MrX
Jun 24, 2019, 11:15 AM
I went through on Sunday. No lines at all, and several pumps with no cars at them in fact. Sunday was a half crappy day though, so that may need to be factored in. I overheard the attendant there saying that over the weekend they'd had just as many cars as Costco in the east end and hadn't a lineup at any time.

jjavman
Jun 24, 2019, 1:47 PM
Are the gas pumps crowded at Galway Costco

I also went thru, and noticed that the pump I was using surged and gurgled a few times while filling. Like there was air in the lines. Could be fine tuning or low tanks.

:shrug:

Kessel Run
Jun 24, 2019, 11:11 PM
I pulled right up to the pump, maybe only 3 or 4 cars total there yesterday.

statbass
Jun 25, 2019, 4:11 PM
I pulled right up to the pump, maybe only 3 or 4 cars total there yesterday.

Savor it while it lasts I say. Once Costco is fully operational I would imagine the lines will be a little bit longer.

Crisisnf
Jun 26, 2019, 12:52 AM
Less thsn half the pumps in use after work today. They are having some troubles with a wierd message appearing on the pump when you insert your payment card. They are hoping to have the kinjs worked out before the warehouse opens.

Larla77
Jun 27, 2019, 12:11 PM
What other shops are confirmed for Galway? I think I saw Michaels, Dollarama and Starbucks listed here (not including Marshalls, Homesense and Pet Smart). See all sorts of things online this morning that pretty much every store on Stavanger is either going to move or close.

Marty_Mcfly
Jun 27, 2019, 12:20 PM
Don't listen to rumors like that, this city is insanely reactionary. Stavanger drive isn't shutting down.

I think right now the confirmed stores for Galway are Marshall's, Home Sense, and Pet Smart. Things like Micheals, Dollarama, and Starbucks are just speculation at this point in time.

Larla77
Jun 27, 2019, 1:52 PM
Don't listen to rumors like that, this city is insanely reactionary. Stavanger drive isn't shutting down.

I think right now the confirmed stores for Galway are Marshall's, Home Sense, and Pet Smart. Things like Micheals, Dollarama, and Starbucks are just speculation at this point in time.

Thanks! I'm an east ender and it was bothering me this morning. Knew this board would talk some sense.

MrX
Jun 27, 2019, 2:54 PM
Starbucks is most certainly opening a location in Galway. I know a person that is working on the building. There is also a hair cutting place opening, same company as First Choice but for the life of me I don't remember the name of it. The one in Galway wont be called First Choice.

J_Murphy
Jun 27, 2019, 3:22 PM

With all the new office space on Hebron Way, I don't see how Stavanger Drive will become any less attractive for retailers.

statbass
Jun 27, 2019, 4:50 PM
Thanks! I'm an east ender and it was bothering me this morning. Knew this board would talk some sense.

Death to the East End!!!! I'm kidding of course.

I completely agree with Marty here. This is "the sky is falling" rumour that's flying around social media now that Costco is operating in their new location. As mentioned, with all the office space moving into the area and more development likely to come, Stavanger isn't going anywhere any time soon. Plus there's a significant population in the area (and also many high income earners). One could suspect the opposite may happen in which Stavanger aggressively pursues new tenants and we see some new retail.... who knows?? Seems plausible. :cheers:

Larla77
Jun 27, 2019, 5:15 PM
Starbucks is most certainly opening a location in Galway. I know a person that is working on the building. There is also a hair cutting place opening, same company as First Choice but for the life of me I don't remember the name of it. The one in Galway wont be called First Choice.

I would have been shocked if Starbucks didn't open out there. I would imagine there will be one of the Cara brand restaurant or something like a Baton Rouge. Probably a McDonalds at some point as well.

wmemeadusjr
Jun 28, 2019, 10:51 AM
What is confirmed or being built in Galway besides Costco is Marshall's, Homesense, PetSmart, Michael's, Dollarama, Starbucks, Scotiabank, plus 5 other smaller places such as First Choice, a shoe store and a dance school.

Also, I just found out that Princess Auto will be opening up in Galway.
Unfortunately, they won't be going the route of Marshall's and PetSmart and making a duplicate store.....they will be going the route of Costco and uprooting from Stavanger.

jjavman
Jun 28, 2019, 3:36 PM
What is confirmed or being built in Galway besides Costco is Marshall's, Homesense, PetSmart, Michael's, Dollarama, Starbucks, Scotiabank, plus 5 other smaller places such as First Choice, a shoe store and a dance school.

Unfortunately, they won't be going the route of Marshall's and PetSmart and making a duplicate store.....they will be going the route of Costco and uprooting from Stavanger.

Wow, if that's confirmed it will be another shock to Stavanger area.
Princess Auto parking lot usually full!

Wonder what the reasoning is there? Bigger potential from CBS/CBC area perhaps?

Arrakis
Jun 28, 2019, 6:24 PM
So it begins.

Larla77
Jun 28, 2019, 7:01 PM

I saw someone on Twitter say that yesterday but i dont know her source.

KDMusic
Jun 28, 2019, 10:45 PM
So with the opening of Costco it appears they have finally updated the Shoppes at Galway website, including a list of all the stores confirmed so far.

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Supercuts
School of Rock

Larla77
Jun 28, 2019, 10:59 PM
So with the opening of Costco it appears they have finally updated the Shoppes at Galway website, including a list of all the stores confirmed so far.

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Supercuts
School of Rock

That's 12 and I believe Danny said 13 on the news the other night. So either a moved Princess Auto, a gas station, Cineplex or a CARA brand restaurant for number 13

Tommyswally
Jun 28, 2019, 11:55 PM
That's 12 and I believe Danny said 13 on the news the other night. So either a moved Princess Auto, a gas station, Cineplex or a CARA brand restaurant for number 13

Maybe a Bass Pro

Marty_Mcfly
Jun 29, 2019, 2:01 PM

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Supercuts
School of Rock

How revolutionary. Certainly makes me want to buy an overpriced house in the middle of nowhere.

djslue
Jun 30, 2019, 12:33 AM
Would LOVE to see a Bass Pro or Cabelas

Downtown_1
Jul 2, 2019, 2:28 PM
Lowes will be setting up shop next to Costco

jjavman
Jul 2, 2019, 3:04 PM
Where is that stated?

statbass
Jul 2, 2019, 5:39 PM
Where is that stated?

I also heard this but pure speculation at this point. It'd be nice to know if there is any truth to this.

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 2, 2019, 6:02 PM

I also heard this but pure speculation at this point. It'd be nice to know if there is any truth to this.

The thing that I used to like about SSP was that there were seldom any unsubstantiated rumors posted to this subforum, unlike literally every other forum of social media.

If you're going to post something like this, then please cite your source. Hearing through the rumour mill isn't a source.

jjavman
Jul 2, 2019, 6:04 PM

All sorts of rumours abound. Common sense dictates that if anything is confirmed, Galway would promptly put it on their website as it helps sell.

statbass
Jul 2, 2019, 6:18 PM
All sorts of rumours abound. Common sense dictates that if anything is confirmed, Galway would promptly put it on their website as it helps sell.

Here's a link to the Shoppes at Galway site plan. It's hard to say but from this plan it doesn't seem there's a building large enough to be a hardware store. Maybe building C1 but based on Costco square footage that too looks to be too small.

http://shoppesatgalway.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Galway-Site-Plan.jpg

Downtown_1
Jul 2, 2019, 6:22 PM
Here's a link to the Shoppes at Galway site plan. It's hard to say but from this plan it doesn't seem there's a building large enough to be a hardware store. Maybe building C1 but based on Costco square footage that too looks to be too small.

http://shoppesatgalway.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Galway-Site-Plan.jpg

C1 is the location

Larla77
Jul 2, 2019, 8:04 PM

Someone I know who is a lawyer thinks Lowes would have to wait a few years before opening a store in Newfoundland due to union issues with former RONA employees. He thinks former RONA employees could have a case regarding jobs at Lowes or any unionization of the store if a certain amount of time hasn't passed since RONA closed. If true I would think a Lowes announcement after at least 2 years has passed. If this lawyer is wrong about the contract former RONA employees had it could be sooner of course.

I have no doubt that opening a Lowes in Galway was part of closing the RONA stores. I also think Cineplex will open a theatre out there in a few years. Both of those are just my opinion and not fact. I've also heard a Colemans may be going out there. Again rumor.

Engibeer
Jul 2, 2019, 8:17 PM
The thing that I used to like about SSP was that there were seldom any unsubstantiated rumors posted to this subforum, unlike literally every other forum of social media.

If you're going to post something like this, then please cite your source. Hearing through the rumour mill isn't a source.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be a source for every piece of information posted on here, especially if that info. is confidential and/or preliminary.

In my opinion, lack of a public source doesn't equate to falsity. A lot of times it may be a rumor but more often it seems to be someone spreading the word, semi anonymously, before plans are released to the public. I would imagine the latter is the case in this situation. :poke:

A hardware store in Galway definitely makes sense, I can't think of many big box centers in Calgary or Edmonton that doesn't have a Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware.

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 2, 2019, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately there isn't going to be a source for every piece of information posted on here, especially if that info. is confidential and/or preliminary.

In my opinion, lack of a public source doesn't equate to falsity. A lot of times it may be a rumor but more often it seems to be someone spreading the word, semi anonymously, before plans are released to the public. I would imagine the latter is the case in this situation. :poke:

A hardware store in Galway definitely makes sense, I can't think of many big box centers in Calgary or Edmonton that doesn't have a Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware.

What is the definition of confidential? ;)

Rumors are often times just that, with no true basis on anything. Sometimes they are true, you're right, but most times in this province rumors tend to be nothing of truth. I would prefer if we were able to keep this sub-forum gossip free. If rumor were often true, St. John's would have 5 H&M's plus a Banana Republic by now.

jjavman
Jul 2, 2019, 11:16 PM
What is the definition of confidential? ;)

Rumors are often times just that, with no true basis on anything. Sometimes they are true, you're right, but most times in this province rumors tend to be nothing of truth. I would prefer if we were able to keep this sub-forum gossip free. If rumor were often true, St. John's would have 5 H&M's plus a Banana Republic by now.

I agree with Marty. There are enough rumours at Tim Hortons. I don’t think he’s accusing anyone of falsity. Just that a lot of us come here for bonafide info when it’s available, not conjecture.

I’m sure Danny Williams will have anything that’s signed, out in the public as quick as it’s fact. It helps his project greatly to do so.

:cheers:

Pearlie_Steve
Jul 3, 2019, 5:44 AM

Costco
Marshalls
HomeSense
PetSmart
Michael’s
Urban Shoes
Scotiabank
Dollarama
Starbucks
Supercuts
School of RockThat's a disappointing list. I was hoping that some new stores,and restaurants,would open in Galway that would make it different from the other three centers,instead of it being "Stavanger West".

J_Murphy
Jul 3, 2019, 10:49 AM
I agree with Marty. There are enough rumours at Tim Hortons. I don’t think he’s accusing anyone of falsity. Just that a lot of us come here for bonafide info when it’s available, not conjecture.

I’m sure Danny Williams will have anything that’s signed, out in the public as quick as it’s fact. It helps his project greatly to do so.

:cheers:

We could just move this conversation to the Development Rumours thread :uhh:

statbass
Jul 3, 2019, 10:50 AM
That's a disappointing list. I was hoping that some new stores,and restaurants,would open in Galway that would make it different from the other three centers,instead of it being "Stavanger West".

Yes, you and many others (including me) I would imagine. If you look at the site plan there are many more buildings to construct. So I think there's still some hope we will see some new retailers. Let's keep our finger's crossed!

thevan
Jul 3, 2019, 8:34 PM
That's a disappointing list. I was hoping that some new stores,and restaurants,would open in Galway that would make it different from the other three centers,instead of it being "Stavanger West".

Three?

IronMan
Jul 3, 2019, 11:19 PM
Three?

Stavanger, Kelsey and Merchant Drive.

wmemeadusjr
Jul 4, 2019, 12:30 PM
C1 is the location

C1 is way to small to be Lowe's. My guess is that C1 would be Princess Auto.

KnightFury
Jul 4, 2019, 3:32 PM
I've thought for a while that Cineplex may open in Galway.

Before Empire was bought by Cineplex they were supposed to open a cinema on Hebron Way. Cineplex cancelled those plans.

Shortly after the take-over, I received a survey from Cineplex about their VIP theatres. Like Costco, Galway would be a prime area for a theatre.

My prediction is that they'd open in Galway and then close down Mount Pearl to renovate it into a VIP Cinema.

wmemeadusjr
Jul 4, 2019, 4:00 PM
I've thought for a while that Cineplex may open in Galway.

Before Empire was bought by Cineplex they were supposed to open a cinema on Hebron Way. Cineplex cancelled those plans.

Shortly after the take-over, I received a survey from Cineplex about their VIP theatres. Like Costco, Galway would be a prime area for a theatre.

My prediction is that they'd open in Galway and then close down Mount Pearl to renovate it into a VIP Cinema.

Danny commented on the news last year that they were in negotiations with Cineplex when being asked about potential tenants for Galway. I have heard nothing since. I'd much rather a theatre I can drive up to than to walk through the mall.

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 4, 2019, 5:14 PM
I think that ultimately a cinema in Galway is likely, possibly as a replacement for Mount Pearl Cinema. It's probably not in the immediate plans though. I think I've said this on here before, but I suspect with Cinneplex pumping so much money into the Rec Room that they'll want to funnel as many potential customers through there as possible. I'd say in 2 years or so when the hype has died down and there has been decent ROE that Cinneplex could look into a new west-end location.

wmemeadusjr
Jul 4, 2019, 7:00 PM
I think that ultimately a cinema in Galway is likely, possibly as a replacement for Mount Pearl Cinema. It's probably not in the immediate plans though. I think I've said this on here before, but I suspect with Cinneplex pumping so much money into the Rec Room that they'll want to funnel as many potential customers through there as possible. I'd say in 2 years or so when the hype has died down and there has been decent ROE that Cinneplex could look into a new west-end location.

I'd have to agree.

Larla77
Jul 5, 2019, 1:54 PM

Totally agree. The Galway retail area will be more established then as well.

I would say all these types centres have a grocery store and a hardware store. At least the ones in this province. So I would imagine Galway will have 1 of each as well.

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 5, 2019, 3:23 PM

I would say all these types centres have a grocery store and a hardware store. At least the ones in this province. So I would imagine Galway will have 1 of each as well.

Colemans would be the most logical of the three grocery stores; Sobeys and Dominion both have locations just across the highway in Mount Pearl. There's a Colemans in Mount Pearl too, but it's relatively small and away from the rest of the "big box" stores so it could stand to benefit the most from the move.

Hardware stores: Could see another Home Depot pop up as the St. John's CMA is edging on the population to handle 2 (Saskatoon and Regina both have 2). Otherwise Home Hardware has been doing a decent job expanding it's urban footprint recently.

IronMan
Jul 5, 2019, 6:32 PM

What about the Kent, Sobey's, Dominion, Wal-Mart, etc, etc, etc that are right next door to this development at Merchant Drive area? Usually you don't see a new Power Center set up so close to an existing, established retail area. This must have an impact as it makes it an atypical development imo.

Offshore1
Jul 5, 2019, 11:53 PM
Confirmed it would seem?

http://ntv.ca/princess-auto-leaving-stavanger-drive-for-galway/

jjavman
Jul 8, 2019, 1:13 AM
Confirmed it would seem?

http://ntv.ca/princess-auto-leaving-stavanger-drive-for-galway/

A successful wooing by Galway. Kudos to them.

Larla77
Jul 8, 2019, 12:18 PM
What about the Kent, Sobey's, Dominion, Wal-Mart, etc, etc, etc that are right next door to this development at Merchant Drive area? Usually you don't see a new Power Center set up so close to an existing, established retail area. This must have an impact as it makes it an atypical development imo.

I've been thinking that the whole time. Merchant Drive along with Kent and Sobeys are literally across the highway. WalMart, Dominion, Canadian Tire along with the forementioned Kent and Sobeys are right there. If the WalMart on Merchant hadn't just renovated I'd imagine they would move across Pitts.

My Colemans suggestion came from a coworker who lives in Mount Pearl. She heard a rumor ages ago about Colemans building a store in Southlands. Also Frank Coleman is a friend of Danny I believe.

Lowes or another Home Depot for a building supplies store. Prob in a 2-3 years.

I'm still sad about Stavanger as its my local shopping district. Hopefully something happens with one of the empty spaces soon. We have the old Costco (hopefully the UHaul rumors are true), most of the old Target building, the old RONA building, Wicker Emporium space, the Source space, Bombay space, Bowring space and soon the Princess Auto Space (which I think is the perfect size for a Giant Tiger).

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 8, 2019, 12:21 PM
^ The problem with a lot of the empty space in Stavanger right now is that it's just too darn big to do anything with. Anything that would need the size of say Target already exists in the city or have no intentions of ever moving here. Princess Auto store size is more moderate and should be easily filled by something.

Larla77
Jul 8, 2019, 1:33 PM
^ The problem with a lot of the empty space in Stavanger right now is that it's just too darn big to do anything with. Anything that would need the size of say Target already exists in the city or have no intentions of ever moving here. Princess Auto store size is more moderate and should be easily filled by something.

Totally. I don't believe any large retailers are expanding at the moment to fill something the size of the Target or RONA spaces. The Princess Auto space is more reasonable in terms of size.

rthomasd
Jul 18, 2019, 7:18 PM
I've heard there's a construction delay with the Michael's store at Galway and they now won't OPEN till December / January.

EDIT - This is a second location, not a move.

wmemeadusjr
Jul 19, 2019, 10:52 AM
I've heard there's a construction delay with the Michael's store at Galway and they now won't move till December / January.

I thought the Michael's store was a second location and not a move as you mentioned. With the current exodus on Stavanger, that might have changed. Who knows.

IronMan
Jul 19, 2019, 12:04 PM
I thought the Michael's store was a second location and not a move as you mentioned. With the current exodus on Stavanger, that might have changed. Who knows.

It was my understanding as well that the Galway Michaels is a second location, and that the Stavanger location is staying.

rthomasd
Jul 19, 2019, 12:58 PM
Sorry, you're right. It's a second location not a move. The person I was talking to will be moving to the new store not the store moving.

IronMan
Jul 19, 2019, 2:58 PM
Sorry, you're right. It's a second location not a move. The person I was talking to will be moving to the new store not the store moving.

Phew! Was a little worried there for a second!
:)

MrX
Jul 23, 2019, 4:31 PM
There's rumours flying around that Boston Pizza is pulling up from the east end to move to Galway. Take that for what it is. The same rumour mill is saying there are 5 re-locations from stavanger to galway.

Larla77
Jul 23, 2019, 6:00 PM
There's rumours flying around that Boston Pizza is pulling up from the east end to move to Galway. Take that for what it is. The same rumour mill is saying there are 5 re-locations from stavanger to galway.

There's how many in town now? 3 - Stavanger, downtown and Kelsey. Don't think I missed any. I could see a 4th location. The one on Kelsey and downtown do fine without a Costco.

KDMusic
Jul 23, 2019, 10:13 PM
https://www.roostersmgc.com/

Galway's newest business according to the Shoppes website.

Pearlie_Steve
Jul 27, 2019, 1:03 AM
Is the Marshall's opening in Galway a move or a second location? Also, does anybody happen to know what will be moving into the old Winners location,in the mall?

Larla77
Jul 28, 2019, 5:58 PM
Is the Marshall's opening in Galway a move or a second location? Also, does anybody happen to know what will be moving into the old Winners location,in the mall?

As far as I know Marshalls, Michaels and PetSmart are all second locations. There's been nothing on what is opening in the old Winners location.

MelH
Aug 9, 2019, 6:15 PM
As far as I know Marshalls, Michaels and PetSmart are all second locations. There's been nothing on what is opening in the old Winners location.

Would bet that some/all of the new stores announced the other day (H&M, BR, ON, GAP) will be going into that space - previous plans posted on this site showed it being sub-divided.

wmemeadusjr
Aug 14, 2019, 5:47 PM
Marshall's/HomeSense has bumped their grand opening ahead one week and is now opening on August 20th.

wmemeadusjr
Aug 20, 2019, 10:28 AM
Marshall's/HomeSense is now open. Tim Horton's has just been added to the directory as well.

NewfBC
Aug 20, 2019, 3:42 PM
Marshall's/HomeSense is now open. Tim Horton's has just been added to the directory as well.

I received an email from TJX with a contest to celebrate the opening of their 500th store in Canada - the Galway location of Marshalls/HomeSense.

Ron.

wmemeadusjr
Aug 29, 2019, 10:35 AM
According to the Shoppes At Galway website, Dollarama is now open.

J_Murphy
Aug 29, 2019, 11:00 AM
According to the Shoppes At Galway website, Dollarama is now open.

That would be #11 for the St. John's area.

statbass
Aug 29, 2019, 11:40 AM

That has to be a saturation point for the city and surrounding area.

wmemeadusjr
Aug 29, 2019, 11:56 AM

That is 11 with one more slated for the old Dooly's/Post Office downtown. I keep thinking they've reached saturation but they keep opening more. I can see one going in Churchill Square to serve the MUN crowd. Maybe the Goulds as well?

Each location seems to be only staffed with 2 or 3 people so payroll is not a big expense for them opening more stores lol

techguy123
Aug 29, 2019, 2:35 PM
That is 11 with one more slated for the old Dooly's/Post Office downtown. I keep thinking they've reached saturation but they keep opening more. I can see one going in Churchill Square to serve the MUN crowd. Maybe the Goulds as well?

Each location seems to be only staffed with 2 or 3 people so payroll is not a big expense for them opening more stores lol

What I don’t understand is why there are two dollaramas so close together on Topsail Road! There’s one behind the new Tims where dominion used to be, and then 3 minutes down the road there’s another one in the Village 😂

wmemeadusjr
Aug 29, 2019, 3:44 PM
What I don’t understand is why there are two dollaramas so close together on Topsail Road! There’s one behind the new Tims where dominion used to be, and then 3 minutes down the road there’s another one in the Village 😂

Several Dollaramas are within close proximity to other locations. For example ...Avalon/Kelsey/Ropewalk as well as Torbay/White Rose/Elizabeth.

As for Topsail Road and the Village, there were once 2 Dominion supermarkets at both those sites, so I guess a Dollarama is not that unusual.

Larla77
Aug 30, 2019, 12:26 PM
Hearing rumplings of Five Guys for Galway
One of the store fronts looks like a five guys. A lot of talk on twitter.

Marty_Mcfly
Aug 30, 2019, 12:54 PM
Hearing rumplings of Five Guys for Galway
One of the store fronts looks like a five guys. A lot of talk on twitter.

There was an announcement last year about them opening a location in Halifax and Saint John's. Further information pointed towards the actual city being Saint John, NB, however there was no confirmation. So in theory it's possible.

I would guess though if they were confirmed long enough in Galway that they could make a store front look like their restaurant, then the Galway website would be advertising them as a tenant.

EDIT: Just saw the Twitter post. Very interesting....

jjbnl
Aug 30, 2019, 1:32 PM
I can only speak for the larger locations, but they spend as little on staffing as they possibly can. One of the biggest volume stores, Kelsey Drive, has to split 400-500 hours a week between a Manager, 8 "full time" staff/team leads, and 6 part timers.

That being said, there's usually 5 to 8 people there at any given time. They don't wear uniforms so they're hard to spot sometimes!

Marty_Mcfly
Aug 30, 2019, 1:37 PM
And the 5 guys rumors are dead, that store front is Urban Shoes.

Crisisnf
Aug 31, 2019, 1:59 AM
And the 5 guys rumors are dead, that store front is Urban Shoes.

What store front is this? I was in the area today and wondered what is going on the end if Danny Drive at the roundabout.

cdotr
Aug 31, 2019, 3:51 PM
What store front is this? I was in the area today and wondered what is going on the end if Danny Drive at the roundabout.

Right next to the roundabout is a Scotiabank. I don't know if this will replace Centennial Sq. or be in addition to that location.

There is another building that backs onto Danny Drive and faces Marshall's etc., it appears there are 2-3 small units in the building. I'm curious what is going here.

I know up across from Costco the building is (from what I've read) to house Starbucks and Expedia Cruise Centre.

Larla77
Sep 4, 2019, 2:54 PM

My husband had someone write him during the rumors and say it was definitely 5 Guys. Then it turned out that guy was full of crap when Urban Shoes claimed the spot people were speculating on lol.

wmemeadusjr
Sep 12, 2019, 5:06 PM
The latest announcement for the Shoppes at Galway is "The Dentists at Galway". Not very exciting I know. It is assumed however that the people of Galway will have teeth and will eventually require dental work. lol

jjavman
Sep 12, 2019, 6:30 PM
The latest announcement for the Shoppes at Galway is "The Dentists at Galway". Not very exciting I know. It is assumed however that the people of Galway will have teeth and will eventually require dental work. lol

... and probably very good teeth :-)

:notacrook:

Marty_Mcfly
Sep 13, 2019, 10:28 PM

Hey now, that's just hearsay! Bring that to the development rumors thread.

:tup:

J_Murphy
Sep 20, 2019, 12:21 PM
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the Shoppes at Galway. I was kind of expecting the layout of the development to be a bit different than Stavanger, Kelsey...

It is exactly the same.

wmemeadusjr
Sep 20, 2019, 2:10 PM
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the Shoppes at Galway. I was kind of expecting the layout of the development to be a bit different than Stavanger, Kelsey...

It is exactly the same.

I agree, Danny said it would resemble Dartmouth Crossing....it certainly does not. Even the fancy lamp posts end at the roundabout and are replaced by the standard St. John's street light poles as you move towards the Shoppes. There are more trees than in other developments, but they will only last if they are planted properly and looked after properly.

In related news, Easy Financial has been added to the Shoppes. We can't get a Five Guys or a Bass Pro, but we can get a 5th Easy Financial. Yay!

J_Murphy
Sep 20, 2019, 3:19 PM
I agree, Danny said it would resemble Dartmouth Crossing....it certainly does not. Even the fancy lamp posts end at the roundabout and are replaced by the standard St. John's street light poles as you move towards the Shoppes. There are more trees than in other developments, but they will only last if they are planted properly and looked after properly.

In related news, Easy Financial has been added to the Shoppes. We can't get a Five Guys or a Bass Pro, but we can get a 5th Easy Financial. Yay!

I just don't understand why there needs to be so many separate buildings, sprawling parking lots and weird little side roads. Walking between different stores almost isn't an option. And good luck making a left turn out of a parking lot without a traffic light or roundabout. Drives me absolutely crazy.

jjavman
Sep 20, 2019, 7:03 PM
I just don't understand why there needs to be so many separate buildings, sprawling parking lots and weird little side roads. Walking between different stores almost isn't an option. And good luck making a left turn out of a parking lot without a traffic light or roundabout. Drives me absolutely crazy.

I've wailed on this before, but St. John's needs to get progressive and have dedicated turnarounds or u-turn intersections like in a lot of bigger cities.
Left turns across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic are not only unsafe, but in the case of single lane outlets, frustrating for those turning right.

Kenmount Road probably the worst, followed by Topsail & Torbay Rds.
Also CBS Highway in Manuels.

J_Murphy
Sep 20, 2019, 10:46 PM
I've wailed on this before, but St. John's needs to get progressive and have dedicated turnarounds or u-turn intersections like in a lot of bigger cities.
Left turns across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic are not only unsafe, but in the case of single lane outlets, frustrating for those turning right.

Kenmount Road probably the worst, followed by Topsail & Torbay Rds.
Also CBS Highway in Manuels.

I just don’t get why you can’t have just one, or a few large parking lots, and combine all the buildings to result in less land used, and make it easier to walk between all stores. In other words, a shopping mall. Where is the logic behind this type of land use? Why does the City continue to allow it?

wmemeadusjr
Sep 23, 2019, 5:02 PM
Scotiabank and Tim Horton's are now completely framed up and ready for cladding and windows. I'm guessing a December opening for both. I'm thinking October for Urban Shoes and November for Starbucks. (As I said....all guesswork....judging by what's completed)

elizabethf1985
Oct 1, 2019, 3:30 PM
Scotiabank and Tim Horton's are now completely framed up and ready for cladding and windows. I'm guessing a December opening for both. I'm thinking October for Urban Shoes and November for Starbucks. (As I said....all guesswork....judging by what's completed)

Maybe I missed it in an earlier message but where's the Starbucks going in Galway?

wmemeadusjr
Oct 1, 2019, 6:17 PM
Maybe I missed it in an earlier message but where's the Starbucks going in Galway?

It's across from the Costco gas bar.

Nltownie
Oct 7, 2019, 7:39 PM
When is the new princess auto suppose to open?

wmemeadusjr
Oct 8, 2019, 10:35 AM
When is the new princess auto suppose to open?

According to this article....September :haha:

https://vocm.com/2019/07/06/princess-auto-moving-to-galway/

Sctttmmy
Oct 17, 2019, 8:08 PM
From Paul Lane via Facebook:

Paul Lane
Conversation Starter · 3 hrs
Update re Southlands Boulevard
As you know, earlier this summer I contacted the City on behalf of residents and was told that the connection to Galway at the top of Southlands Blvd was tentatively scheduled to occur this fall. As I have seen no activity since that time, I contacted the City again today and was disappointed to learn that due to a number of delays with the developers, it WILL NOT be happening until sometime next construction season.

Here are the details on the Southland Blvd connection to Galway as posted in the comments:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/files/atipppublication/PB%20362%202019%20-%20Southlands%20Blvd.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1x_ffE-larGstSPhbwgz5JT-1ANxwHvmmJNqRad0cLBmo49MhCZ1vpu7E

Offshore1
Oct 18, 2019, 12:09 PM
From Paul Lane via Facebook:

Paul Lane
Conversation Starter · 3 hrs
Update re Southlands Boulevard
As you know, earlier this summer I contacted the City on behalf of residents and was told that the connection to Galway at the top of Southlands Blvd was tentatively scheduled to occur this fall. As I have seen no activity since that time, I contacted the City again today and was disappointed to learn that due to a number of delays with the developers, it WILL NOT be happening until sometime next construction season.

Here are the details on the Southland Blvd connection to Galway as posted in the comments:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/files/atipppublication/PB%20362%202019%20-%20Southlands%20Blvd.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1x_ffE-larGstSPhbwgz5JT-1ANxwHvmmJNqRad0cLBmo49MhCZ1vpu7E

So... not until next fall - maybe.

wmemeadusjr
Oct 21, 2019, 10:49 AM
What I like about Galway is the underground electrical. Overhead wires have always been a pet peeve of mine. It's an aesthetic mess. What puzzles me is that the developers have gone through great lengths burying the utilities in the Shoppes area, and now NL Power is running a pole line right through the middle of it all. I noticed this last week when I was up there. I just don't understand why they would do this.

BPKE
Oct 22, 2019, 1:20 PM
I can't believe there is still no public transit in Galway (or any concrete plans to introduce it beyond the idea of getting rid of the downtown part of Route 6 and using those service hours).

wmemeadusjr
Oct 28, 2019, 10:59 AM
Urban Shoe is now listed as OPENING SOON on the Shoppes website.

Just this morning, it was listed as JUST OPEN. The site was updated this afternoon and changed it back to OPENING SOON.

Darkfire
Oct 29, 2019, 2:04 PM

Scotiabank base build isn't scheduled to complete until Dec 1 ish, fitup should be complete by end of January-ish.

wmemeadusjr
Oct 30, 2019, 2:05 PM
Scotiabank base build isn't scheduled to complete until Dec 1 ish, fitup should be complete by end of January-ish.

The Scotiabank building will house Orangetheory Fitness as well.