PDA

View Full Version : Dining, restaurant and food news and updates

Pages : [1] 2 3

coolmillion
Jan 19, 2013, 3:51 PM
I'm starting a new thread for restaurant and food updates. The other main restaurant thread is for "favorites" and opinions so this is more for news.

First up: someone mentioned this another section a while ago, but I heard news again that a restaurant is opening in the Creative Crossing building on Agricola and Charles. It is a "brasserie", which suggests French food but may just refer to the atmosphere they are trying to create.

BravoZulu
Feb 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
Fid resto is closing

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/779067-high-end-halifax-eatery-fid-shutting-down

Keith P.
Feb 26, 2013, 2:32 AM
Fid resto is closing

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/779067-high-end-halifax-eatery-fid-shutting-down

Never understood the appeal.

eastcoastal
Feb 26, 2013, 10:37 AM
Fid resto is closing

That's too bad. I appreciated the french take on local food. I hope something else interesting fills the void.

Haligonian88
Mar 21, 2013, 2:43 AM
New wings place opening in Cole Harbour next weekend, not sure it has been mentioned on here yet.

Wingdings draws franchise interest before first store opens
March 20, 2013 - 9:10pm BY JOANN ALBERSTAT BUSINESS REPORTER

A new Cole Harbour wing restaurant hasn’t even opened yet, but the owner says he has already had calls about franchising opportunities.

Wingdings is slated to open its doors on the Easter weekend in the Cole Harbour Shopping Centre, located at 4 Forest Hills Pky.

“If this goes like we’re hearing it will go, and we’re anticipating it will go, we’re hoping to have a second store before the end of the year,” owner Jerry Thibeault said in an interview Wednesday.

He said he and his wife, Pam, may open a second location in the Halifax region. Thibeault said he also plans to franchise Wingdings once the restaurant is up and running.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1076509-wingdings-draws-franchise-interest-before-first-store-opens

coolmillion
Mar 21, 2013, 1:01 PM
The Barrington location of Just Us! is moving into the old Oddjects space across from Parade Square. This is an excellent move - the new space has amazing west-facing windows (and nothing to block the light!) which can be opened when it's warm. It's also much more visible. Their current location is small and dark and would be better suited as a bar. Oddjects wasn't my favourite store. I'm sorry to see any place downtown close but a cafe is a much better fit for this location.

coolmillion
May 13, 2013, 3:36 PM
I'm not 100% certain but I think the new restaurant on Gottingen called Edna had a soft opening this past weekend. I saw people there on Saturday night when I walked by. I was told by the staff of Jane's next door that they would be opening this week, but maybe they opened early quietly to avoid being overwhelmed. Both the storefront and the interior look great.

someone123
May 15, 2013, 2:20 AM
Local Source Market is going to expand and move into 2543 Agricola Street (Creative Crossing building), plus the owner is opening a cafe at 2347 Agricola. A vegan restaurant is also in the works for Creative Crossing.

HalifaxRetales
May 15, 2013, 2:53 PM
I'm not 100% certain but I think the new restaurant on Gottingen called Edna had a soft opening this past weekend. I saw people there on Saturday night when I walked by. I was told by the staff of Jane's next door that they would be opening this week, but maybe they opened early quietly to avoid being overwhelmed. Both the storefront and the interior look great.

on the weekend it was by invite for testing
they officially soft opened last night

HalifaxRetales
May 16, 2013, 1:27 AM
Hamachi Dartmouth closed

Aya_Akai
May 16, 2013, 5:25 AM
Hamachi Dartmouth closed

That doesn't come as too much of a surprise, rather unfortunate, though.

HalifaxRetales
May 16, 2013, 2:09 PM
That doesn't come as too much of a surprise, rather unfortunate, though.

But D-Side still has Sushi Nami and Genji

and just up the Hill from Hamachi Que Tal Mexican is open now

and a 2nd Finnbars is opening beside that

visualman57
May 16, 2013, 3:40 PM
interesting.... if this had been about a restaurant closing in downtown Halifax, I suspect there would have been numerous comments on how this is just one more sign of the deterioration and death of the downtown. But, it's about a restaurant in Dartmouth, so we are serenaded with a joyful recounting of all the wonderful new places open or opening soon.
Is this a double standard? I wonder........

Haligonian88
May 17, 2013, 1:28 AM
interesting.... if this had been about a restaurant closing in downtown Halifax, I suspect there would have been numerous comments on how this is just one more sign of the deterioration and death of the downtown. But, it's about a restaurant in Dartmouth, so we are serenaded with a joyful recounting of all the wonderful new places open or opening soon.
Is this a double standard? I wonder........

You're trying to compare somewhere on Portland Street outside the circ to downtown Halifax? Hardly a double standard in my books.

visualman57
May 17, 2013, 3:16 AM
the only point I am attempting to make, is how, whenever something closes in downtown, there is a gaggle of responders who rush to point out how this is another nail in the coffin of downtown Halifax. This, despite the fact that our downtown is not dis-similar to the downtowns of most cities across the country, businesses open, close, move or expand on a regular basis. I am happy that suburbia is successful in attracting a variety of food establishments, but in the last couple of months, there have been new places, Tempo at the Delta, Harbour Stone at the Marriot, the new Bertossi Group place on Spring Garden Rd, to name a few, that are opening in downtown. Just my thought that we need to celebrate the positive events in our entire community when ever we can. And now, I'll jump of my soapbox so I don't upset anyone else.

Haligonian88
May 17, 2013, 9:51 AM
the only point I am attempting to make, is how, whenever something closes in downtown, there is a gaggle of responders who rush to point out how this is another nail in the coffin of downtown Halifax. This, despite the fact that our downtown is not dis-similar to the downtowns of most cities across the country, businesses open, close, move or expand on a regular basis. I am happy that suburbia is successful in attracting a variety of food establishments, but in the last couple of months, there have been new places, Tempo at the Delta, Harbour Stone at the Marriot, the new Bertossi Group place on Spring Garden Rd, to name a few, that are opening in downtown. Just my thought that we need to celebrate the positive events in our entire community when ever we can. And now, I'll jump of my soapbox so I don't upset anyone else.

Fair enough, I for one don't believe in the whole demise of downtown whenever a restaurant closes, but I would think the business situation in downtown versus other places in HRM is significantly different. In the end, a lot of the closings come down to poor management so it's easier to blame the 'poor economic climate' than owning up to the fact they aren't cut out for running a business. You're right, we should celebrate the positive events throughout.

Keith P.
May 17, 2013, 10:16 AM
the only point I am attempting to make, is how, whenever something closes in downtown, there is a gaggle of responders who rush to point out how this is another nail in the coffin of downtown Halifax. This, despite the fact that our downtown is not dis-similar to the downtowns of most cities across the country, businesses open, close, move or expand on a regular basis.

Well, there are a lot of stupid people out there. :shrug:

someone123
May 18, 2013, 1:20 AM
Well, there are a lot of stupid people out there. :shrug:

Atlantic Canada has a terrible case of "tall poppy syndrome". People there love to root against perceived power and wealth. There are many manifestations of this: the obsession with Halifax "getting everything", the perverse desire to see it fail, the far-fetched "rival" towns in the rest of the region (whether it's suburbs in HRM or other places farther afield), the Coast railing against basically anything or anybody who is economically successful, HCAP, and so on.

From an outside perspective it's all totally crazy. The phenomenon is not as strong in other parts of Canada, and I think it really holds the Maritimes back. There's a huge amount of waste and duplication there that exists not because it makes economic sense but because nobody of a politically-driven desire to drag everybody down to the same level. As a result, every part of the region has an economic handicap compared to the rest of the country and the region is stuck permanently in low gear. Had the Maritimes gotten their act together long ago they might have remained competitive and ended up with a major city like Vancouver or Calgary. Sadly, I think it's too late for that now.

coolmillion
May 21, 2013, 12:05 PM
Laura's Cafe at the south end of Barrington has closed and a sushi joint is preparing to open in its place. I think Laura's was the only Russian restaurant in the city.

HalifaxRetales
May 22, 2013, 7:54 PM
its going to be a 2nd location of Sakura Sushi from Bedford in that Barrington St spot

there is a strip mall on Parkland that is becoming a food destination
it has 9+Nine which is quickly being hailed as the best authentic Chinese in HRM
and I tried Tako the Ramen is delicious and the sushi was great, and deep fried ice cream

also there is DaddyO's which is a 60s diner that I hear good things about but haven't tried myself yet

same plaza has Dominoes so you cant win them all

Haligonian88
May 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
This just showed up on the CH:

New business planned at former Irish pub
May 27, 2013 - 7:26pm REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/B97188105Z.120130527192337000GCR32FNF.11.jpg
The now closed Pogue Fado bar on Barrington Street. (ERIC WYNNE/Staff)

An announcement on the future of the former Pogue Fado site appears to be imminent and could happen as soon as this week.

The popular Barrington Street pub closed at the end of April after 10 years of operation.

When it closed, Jeff Webber of AR Webber Properties Ltd., owner of the 130-year-old property at 1581 Barrington St., said he would search for a new tenant for the space.

It appears that search could be coming to an end, although Webber remained tight-lipped Monday on what type of business could occupy that space.

“It’s not in the stages, right now, that I could comment on, but hopefully within the next couple of days I will be able to,” he said when contacted Monday.

Webber had a handshake agreement with the former bar owners that allowed them to pay rent monthly for the last seven years.

The company immediately seized the property once Pogue’s owners pulled the plug, and soon after, several signs adorned the windows, alerting passersby to Stay Tuned! We Hope to be Back, Bigger & Better.

But Richard Stevens, one of the Irish bar’s five owners, said he and his partners had “nothing to do with that sign whatsoever.”

“That sign was put up by the landlord when he papered over the windows,” Stevens said.

He reiterated that while the bar remains remains a turnkey operation for interested parties, complete with refrigerators and its distinctive Irish decor, he isn’t interested in returning to the business.

“I haven’t heard of anything going in there … but I just know that the Pogue and its owners, we’re stepping away from the industry, and there will be no reincarnations of any kind.”

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1131619-new-business-planned-at-former-irish-pub

Duff
Jun 5, 2013, 12:20 PM
This has been open for a couple weeks, but here is a picture of EDNA, which is the restaurant opened by the daughter of Janes on the Commons. Corner of Gottingen and Portland.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/8957578503_a8afb300b4_b.jpg

coolmillion
Jun 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
Edna is doing really, really well so far. I was there last night (Tuesday) and the place was packed, as it appears to be every night. On the weekends there were line ups (they don't take reservations). This bodes well for future restaurants on this stretch.

Jonovision
Jun 5, 2013, 2:01 PM
I've driven by a few times every day of the week at around 11pm and there is always a good crowd in there. I'm really excited to go try it out.

JET
Jun 5, 2013, 2:42 PM
the corner looks great; looks like a place where I ate in ottawa.

HalifaxRetales
Jun 5, 2013, 2:44 PM
it's really good stuff, been there a couple times now and Jenna is always there over seeing things and helping with what needs helping with

q12
Jun 5, 2013, 8:27 PM
2 new Starbucks opened up this month.

Halifax Ferry Terminal

http://mackaygroup.ca/assets/0621-300x225.jpg
Source (http://mackaygroup.ca/assets/0621-300x225.jpg)

Circumferential Highway and Pleasent Street (Dartmouth Gate)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzk5WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJHJFcE-lwk9D7HBPtkM4k6Ug~~48_20.JPGSource (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzk5WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJHJFcE-lwk9D7HBPtkM4k6Ug~~48_20.JPG)

That makes 17 Starbucks locations in HRM.
I've heard that the 18th Starbucks location is under construction in front of the Guardian Pharmacy on Larry Uteck Blvd.
Once the 3 Targets open in late summer/early fall, that will make 21 Starbucks locations.

haligonia
Jun 5, 2013, 9:13 PM
[B]
I've heard that the 18th Starbucks location is under construction in front of the Guardian Pharmacy on Larry Uteck Blvd.

I've heard that as well, but that building (which is under construction) still has "for lease" signs all around it.

q12
Jun 10, 2013, 2:54 PM
I've heard that as well, but that building (which is under construction) still has "for lease" signs all around it.

Well if that's not a Starbucks, I found another Starbucks location opening on Windmill Rd. in Burnside next to the Sleeman brewery.

https://wfa.kronostm.com/index.jsp?LOCATION_ID=40108625603&locale=en_US&applicationName=StarbucksNonReqExtCanada&SEQ=locationDetails&APPLYALLJOBS=true

mcmcclassic
Jun 13, 2013, 1:55 PM
There is going to be a higher end coffee shop opening in the retail level of that newly finished building on Gladstone St. It should be done in the next couple of months.

coolmillion
Jun 28, 2013, 5:58 PM
Two little updates:
1) I walked past Agricola and Charles and noticed a liquor license notice in the window of the soon-to-open "En Vie" vegan restaurant. It seems they are applying for a lounge license. Also on the notice is the size of the establishment (144 sq f!) and the capacity (12!). Intriguing!

2) I heard through the grape vine that the bar (not sure if it is also a restaurant) slated for the old Captain Sub place on Barrington is aiming for a Labour Day weekend opening. I also heard that Breakhouse is doing some design work for them. Also intriguing!

Wishblade
Jun 28, 2013, 6:11 PM
Two little updates:
1) I walked past Agricola and Charles and noticed a liquor license notice in the window of the soon-to-open "En Vie" vegan restaurant. It seems they are applying for a lounge license. Also on the notice is the size of the establishment (144 sq f!) and the capacity (12!). Intriguing!

2) I heard through the grape vine that the bar (not sure if it is also a restaurant) slated for the old Captain Sub place on Barrington is aiming for a Labour Day weekend opening. I also heard that Breakhouse is doing some design work for them. Also intriguing!

Just for the record, it can't possibly be 144sqf. Theres no way to even fit 12 people in a space that small. For perspective, it would be about the size of the average household bathroom.

haligonia
Jun 28, 2013, 7:07 PM
Two little updates:

Both very exciting! I can't wait to see the new bar on Barrington. It'll add a lot to that strip, and Breakhouse always does excellent work.

coolmillion
Jun 28, 2013, 7:26 PM
Just for the record, it can't possibly be 144sqf. Theres no way to even fit 12 people in a space that small. For perspective, it would be about the size of the average household bathroom.

I thought the same thing and did a double take. Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it's halifax's first walk-in closet sized vegan restaurant and lounge :-)

Duff
Jul 11, 2013, 3:53 PM

This is confirmed. It's going to be called Stillwell Beer Bar - https://www.facebook.com/stillwellhfx Apparently it will have a big focus on Craft Beer.

Drybrain
Jul 11, 2013, 4:14 PM
This is confirmed. It's going to be called Stillwell Beer Bar - https://www.facebook.com/stillwellhfx Apparently it will have a big focus on Craft Beer.

AWESOME. Halifax is lacking good, casual, craft-focused bars. Lotsa old-timey ale houses and the like, but not much of this. And a way better use of a great storefront space in a great building than the take-out sandwich joint.

OldDartmouthMark
Jul 11, 2013, 4:17 PM

Awesome! :tup:

Thanks for the link! :):cheers:

someone123
Jul 13, 2013, 8:49 PM
Here's a Herald article on Stillwell: http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1141421-beer-bar-about-local-craft-brew

haligonia
Jul 13, 2013, 10:03 PM
I can't wait to try it!

HalifaxRetales
Jul 15, 2013, 12:25 PM
Narrow Espresso (owned by Steve o Renos) opened beside Darrells on Fenwick

Sakura Sushi Express appears open on South End of Barrington where Laura's was

HalifaxRetales
Jul 15, 2013, 5:18 PM
The Former Arby's in Woodside is being renovated and becoming an All you Can Eat Chicken and Ribs joint

HalifaxRetales
Jul 17, 2013, 1:40 PM
Notice that Bite Me food truck has been setting up in the Forum MPC parking lot the last couple days

scooby074
Jul 17, 2013, 2:37 PM
The Former Arby's in Woodside is being renovated and becoming an All you Can Eat Chicken and Ribs joint

That should really help Nova Scotia's obesity rates ;)

HalifaxRetales
Jul 24, 2013, 2:15 PM
Wasabi House is opening Wasabi Asian Cuisine All You can eat, on Sackville Drive

someone123
Aug 1, 2013, 2:15 AM
A new restaurant called Agricola Street Brasserie is opening up this fall at 2540 Agricola.

Design 360 is working on the project. Here's another restaurant interior they did in Halifax: http://www.d360inc.com/bistro_lecoq.htm

coolmillion
Aug 1, 2013, 5:15 PM
A new restaurant called Agricola Street Brasserie is opening up this fall at 2540 Agricola.

Design 360 is working on the project. Here's another restaurant interior they did in Halifax: http://www.d360inc.com/bistro_lecoq.htm

I don't love the design of Le Coq but I think this the new restaurant on Agricola will be great. It's a fantastic space which used to be a dance studio. It has very high ceilings and is basically a large blank slate inside. The chef-owner has worked at some of the top restaurants in the city and seems to have a great vision. It's also right next to En Vie which is opening this week.

If the proposed residential buildings in the area are built there will be even more of a market for places like this in the North End.

HalifaxRetales
Aug 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
Morris East opened on Larry Uteck

HalifaxRetales
Aug 7, 2013, 6:53 PM
The Dome is refocusing and taking the space that once housed Lawrence of Oregano and converting it into a "higher end" pub

The trend continues to go against the kids and cater to a more adult audience

with Pogue and Palace closing

and Stillwell and Stubborn Goat opening

scooby074
Aug 8, 2013, 12:05 AM
The Dome is refocusing and taking the space that once housed Lawrence of Oregano and converting it into a "higher end" pub

The trend continues to go against the kids and cater to a more adult audience

with Pogue and Palace closing

and Stillwell and Stubborn Goat opening

Follow the $$$

Older patrons arent chasing the multiple $2.50 draughts, and are more than happy to spend $7.00+ on a "Premium" local beer.

Not to mention all the expensive appetizers, and the fact that generally speaking older patrons are more orderly and not as destructive as the 19 yr old crowd.

As someone who is a long time Pub-o-phile that loves local beer, any new pubs are great.

coolmillion
Aug 8, 2013, 1:22 PM
There is another new restaurant opening on Gottingen. It will be located in the same building as Ratinaud, in the corner space at Falkland - just across the street from Edna and from where the Food Wolf truck often parks.

More info:
http://www.thecoast.ca/RestaurantandBarNews/archives/2013/08/07/flip-for-field-guide

Also, I noticed the other day that the Cellar Bar and Grill is reopening in its original location in the basement of the house on Clyde Street. I can't remember when it closed but I think at least a couple of places have opened and closed in that location since. I only saw posters in the window so I'm not sure if it's the original owners or what the deal is.

HalifaxRetales
Aug 8, 2013, 2:31 PM
Follow the $$$

Older patrons arent chasing the multiple $2.50 draughts, and are more than happy to spend $7.00+ on a "Premium" local beer.

Not to mention all the expensive appetizers, and the fact that generally speaking older patrons are more orderly and not as destructive as the 19 yr old crowd.

As someone who is a long time Pub-o-phile that loves local beer, any new pubs are great.

oh agreed even when I was 19-25 I often sought out quality

but some nights it was quantity

scooby074
Aug 8, 2013, 4:45 PM
oh agreed even when I was 19-25 I often sought out quality

but some nights it was quantity

Fair enough... I was once 19-25 myself;)

However, I cant fault bar owners from moving away from all the trouble and expense of that crowd. Looking back to those days, I dont think I would have wanted myself as a patron, let alone anyone else:D

HalifaxRetales
Aug 13, 2013, 9:33 PM
http://halifax.retales.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IMG_0390-Medium.jpg
Landmark Robie Food about to be destroyed

teddifax
Aug 13, 2013, 10:53 PM

Is there a plan for this site?

ILoveHalifax
Aug 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Is there a plan for this site?

Where is the heritage trust when you need then. That place has been there for decades and should be preserved.

HalifaxRetales
Aug 13, 2013, 11:41 PM
Where is the heritage trust when you need then. That place has been there for decades and should be preserved.

LOL I thought the same thing

Aya_Akai
Aug 14, 2013, 5:20 AM

This actually depresses me terribly :( .. My grandmother used to live on Merkel St just up from there, and we would always go there when I was younger, then I started to get a little older myself and it became a regular spot for my friends and I.. even my mother enjoyed going there even when she was younger. 'tis sad times :(

HalifaxRetales
Aug 15, 2013, 6:21 PM
now I hear Robie food is just getting gutted
and turned into a CashMoney

ILoveHalifax
Aug 15, 2013, 9:25 PM

So we can still eat there, just got to take our own lunch.

scooby074
Aug 15, 2013, 10:41 PM

Ugg. More outrageous payday loans

W.Sobchak
Aug 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
The old Dofsky's location has been reno'd and is under new ownership/management. The new name is Canvas. Their Halibut is phenomenal, and my date had the duck which was a beautiful medium. Nice atmosphere, the service was impeccable too.

Big redommendations.

Josh73
Aug 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Moncton Frozen Yogurt company "Goji's" is looking to expand to Charlottetown, as well as Halifax. I don't know how familiar you guys are with the company, but they are a huge hit. They opened about 6 months ago with one location in Dieppe and now they already have 3 locations I think and are opening a fourth later in the year. A location on the waterfront or something should be a huge hit!

I hope this is the right place to post this...

coolmillion
Aug 30, 2013, 5:20 PM
I noticed a liquor board notice on the windows of one of the ground floor spaces of the Theatre Lofts on Gottingen. It looks like the plan is for a cafe with a lounge license called "The Nook Espresso Lounge." There seem to be renovations happening in the other space as well.

It's really interesting to see new restaurants and bars opening along Gottingen. I think that a few years ago entrepreneurs would have worried about the reputation of the area but Ratinaud and Edna have really paved the way and have shown that people from all over the city will patronize businesses along this stretch. Field Guide is another restaurant-lounge opening at Falkland and Gottingen pretty soon.

someone123
Aug 31, 2013, 2:06 AM
It's really interesting to see new restaurants and bars opening along Gottingen. I think that a few years ago entrepreneurs would have worried about the reputation of the area but Ratinaud and Edna have really paved the way and have shown that people from all over the city will patronize businesses along this stretch.

I hope the street has hit a tipping point. Gottingen could add a lot to the city as an equally vibrant but more affordable counterpoint to Spring Garden Road.

When some of the new developments were being built I wondered if there would be demand to fill the commercial spaces but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think the downtown area really was held back by bad development and bad planning and that there is now a lot of pent-up demand for housing in the area. The housing is finally getting built now and the other stuff will follow.

Keith P.
Aug 31, 2013, 2:50 PM
I hope the street has hit a tipping point. Gottingen could add a lot to the city as an equally vibrant but more affordable counterpoint to Spring Garden Road.

When some of the new developments were being built I wondered if there would be demand to fill the commercial spaces but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think the downtown area really was held back by bad development and bad planning and that there is now a lot of pent-up demand for housing in the area. The housing is finally getting built now and the other stuff will follow.

The revival, if you want to call it that, is only at the southern end. North of Cornwallis St it is still a wasteland and not a place you want to be.

Hali87
Sep 1, 2013, 2:11 AM
I actually feel like the stretch between Cornwallis and Prince William is anchoring the street's momentum right now, and I think the trend of new businesses opening up will spread up to North Street over the next few years as a result. Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.

someone123
Sep 1, 2013, 6:05 PM
Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.

There is a plan in the works to develop that lot and the former Met and Enviro Depot sites. It seems like all of that would have a big positive impact on the street, particularly if the new buildings bring in more businesses.

They are a bit farther afield but the Citadel Hotel buildings might have a positive impact on Gottingen too, both in terms of new residents and new businesses within walking distance. It also cuts down on the size of the dead zone between Gottingen and the parts of downtown that are interesting to walk around.

Keith P.
Sep 2, 2013, 7:19 PM
I actually feel like the stretch between Cornwallis and Prince William is anchoring the street's momentum right now, and I think the trend of new businesses opening up will spread up to North Street over the next few years as a result. Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.

Putting a park there would just be creating a venue for crime and drug dealing. That lot needs buildings on it.

Aya_Akai
Sep 3, 2013, 6:03 AM
Putting a park there would just be creating a venue for crime and drug dealing. That lot needs buildings on it.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Keith.. but he's right.. :shrug:

coolmillion
Sep 4, 2013, 11:05 PM
Another interesting bit of restaurant news from Agricola Street: Local Source market has moved around the corner from Charles to Agricola. They are renovating a space connected to their new shop to open a cafe that will be a bar/restaurant at night. I had thought that they were going to take over the old laundromat but apparently that's not happening.

This will make three in a row in that one block: En Vie, Local Source shop and cafe and Agricola Street Brasserie. :cheers:

I wonder what will happen to the old NSLC store front across the street? From what I understand the owner considered a redevelopment but decided against it, instead keeping the strip-mall-like format. With the NSLC in the back, the street-front will be ripe for a new retail tenant.

All these restauranteurs are smart to be investing in this neighbourhood with condos and apartment developments in the pipeline.

q12
Sep 12, 2013, 1:38 AM
Seattle based chain Taco del Mar taking over the old Quizno's spot on Dresdon Row.

First Taco del Mar east of Ontario. :dancingtaco

http://www.tacodelmar.com/

http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Business/2013-08-29/article-3369061/Bajainspired-Taco-del-Mar-to-open-on-Dresden-Row/1

Drybrain
Sep 12, 2013, 2:02 AM
Here's an interesting item from the halifaxlovahate blog (http://halifaxlovehate.com/north-enders-need-your-support-for-the-agricola-brasserie-asap/): Some persons unknown have been stuffing mailboxes in the North End with warnings that the Agricola Street Brasserie will get a licence enabling them to basically act as an entertainment venue with amplified music seven nights a week. That's not their business plan at all, but the licensing doesn't really allow a resto-bar to have a distinct licence--it's all or nothing. So some neighbours are getting a bit NIMBY about it, fearing that a future business could get the licence transferred and open up, I dunno, whatever they want, I guess.

The post here is a request for people to send letters of support in advance of a meeting with residents, which has already passed, but it provides some interesting background.

Reminds me a bit of Parkdale and Ossington in Toronto, where in recent years the city has brought down the hammer with a stupidly simplistic "interim control bylaw." The law prevents all new liquor licenses from being granted for a period of one year, because too many bars opened all at once in those neighbourhoods--a situation which could have been prevented with a smarter licensing regime, like only so many licenses on one block, different licenses for bars, restaurants, and nightclubs, etc. There's little nuance in Canadian cities, it seems, with granting bar licenses. (In the case of Parkdale, there was one really loud, annoying bar-restaurant-rock club place that wanted an outdoor patio about five feet from some people's bedrooms across the alley, but the rest were pretty innocuous.)

someone123
Sep 12, 2013, 3:12 AM
Once those issues get politicized I think you get councillors who try to earn votes by "taking a stand". It becomes about manipulating base emotional responses rather than solving problems.

The complaints are really related to concrete things like noise levels that vary tremendously based on the hours, design of the buildings, etc. If a building is soundproofed well there might be very little impact on neighbours. Building heights are often like this too; wind effects aren't a necessary consequence of tall buildings, for example. They are a solvable problem.

halifaxboyns
Sep 12, 2013, 5:35 PM
What is wrong with bars in neighbourhoods? It brings life and vitality to the area...some people are just dumb. I read about Agricola somewhere else, I was so annoyed.

halifaxboyns
Sep 12, 2013, 6:36 PM
Question: Has anyone tried Rock Bottom Brew pub? I went with some friends who had a groupon and then again for their wing night - was awesome!

HalifaxRetales
Sep 12, 2013, 7:54 PM
I'd love a pub in every neighbourhood

Drybrain
Sep 12, 2013, 8:41 PM
What is wrong with bars in neighbourhoods? It brings life and vitality to the area...some people are just dumb. I read about Agricola somewhere else, I was so annoyed.

I think people are worried about suddenly finding Agricola turning into a nightlife strip full of clubs rocking loud music until 2 a.m. and then disgorging hundreds of drunks, right next to their houses. I don't think the fears are warranted at all in this case (they're being stoked by obvious NIMBYs) but it's reasonable for people to take an interest in what's happening in their neighbourhood vis-a-vis noise pollution, etc. (I mentioned that Parkdale patio licence in Toronto, which was quite rightly contested by locals). We need more complex licensing so the city can grant a liquor license for a restaurant/bistro kind of place, without fearing it'll turn into a dance club.

Anyway, I hope the Brasserie gets its licence.

mcmcclassic
Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
Question: Has anyone tried Rock Bottom Brew pub? I went with some friends who had a groupon and then again for their wing night - was awesome!

I've been there a couple of times. The food is really good and not as expensive as I was expecting. Lots of awesome craft beers too.

coolmillion
Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 PM
I find the liquor licensing issue super interesting. As soon as the anonymous letter (re: the Brasserie) was circulated to neighbours and foodies there was a tremendous outpouring of support for the business. The fact that the letter was anonymous makes it difficult to reach a satisfactory outcome. It is difficult to have a dialogue with concerned neighbours (and their concerns are valid) if they won't identify themselves.

I agree that every neighbourhood should have a pub but if several open on one block then I also agree this may result in excessive noise and affect the quality of life of neighbours who likely invested in the neighbourhood knowing it was urban but not expecting nightlife to appear next door. Can a neighbourhood by urban without nightlife? That's another question. I have been on Ossington after midnight, and while I don't think there is any danger of Agricola going the same route, it is a huge scene, cheek by jowl with single family homes.

Fortunately I don't think the complainers have a leg to stand on with Gus' pub (no doubt much louder than any eventual future at the Brasserie) a block away. Yet even Gus' was responsive to the concerns of neighbours and installed soundproof covers over windows to prevent noise pollution during shows. I think the best route is for neighbours to talk to one another... (perhaps over a drink) :cheers:

scooby074
Sep 12, 2013, 11:11 PM

Yes, its great!!

Nice atmosphere, and their craft beer is awesome.

HalifaxRetales
Oct 1, 2013, 2:34 PM
RCR closes Q BBQ, and is moving Onyx into that space on Argyle

scooby074
Oct 1, 2013, 2:56 PM

Seems like a sudden closure for Q. They were still aggressively advertising for the place in the last couple weeks. Q had a short run IMHO. What 2 years?:shrug: I guess the BBQ fad must be on the way out.

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 1, 2013, 3:14 PM

That's a surprise to me. I know that Q had been closed for awhile due to a building issue (water heater in apartment above leaking down into their space or something along those lines), but noticed it was open for business when walking by Sunday night. Not sure if moving Onyx to this location is a great idea as there is already lots of bistro-type competition in this neighborhood.

Time will tell, I guess.

I liked Q and hope that the BBQ movement wasn't just a fad, as you can't beat real honest to goodness slow-cooked BBQ.

q12
Oct 1, 2013, 8:01 PM
I just had Boneheads BBQ at their Dutch Village rd location, and it was fantastic.

I would say between their 2 locations and the 2 Woody's BBQ locations BBQ is here to stay.

HalifaxRetales
Oct 2, 2013, 11:49 AM
Q was OK , Woody's is garbage
I think the spot was too big for BBQ
and the superior Boneheads isn't that far away

HalifaxRetales
Oct 4, 2013, 3:57 PM
La Perla has closed,

the Owner/Chef has moved to the Colby Bistro

mcmcclassic
Oct 10, 2013, 4:47 PM
Looks like a new craft beer bar will be opening on Barrington St. sometime in the near future (in the Marble building aka where Greco used to be).

Link: http://atlanticcanadabeerblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/stillwell-beer-bar/

HalifaxRetales
Oct 10, 2013, 5:32 PM
yeah Stillwell should be awesome the owner operated volo in Toronto for years it was great brew pub

Burrito Jax expanding
new shops next Month
Kempt & Young and Cole Harbour

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 10, 2013, 8:06 PM
Q was OK , Woody's is garbage
I think the spot was too big for BBQ
and the superior Boneheads isn't that far away

Agreed. Boneheads is the best.

coolmillion
Oct 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
The downtown Flipburger location opened yesterday on Argyle in the former Opa (then Ela) space. It has late hours - open until 4am Thursday to Saturday. Design-wise it looks pretty slick.

Wishblade
Oct 11, 2013, 1:02 AM
The downtown Flipburger location opened yesterday on Argyle in the former Opa (then Ela) space. It has late hours - open until 4am Thursday to Saturday. Design-wise it looks pretty slick.

Very good decision on staying open until 4am. They are going to make a TON of business.

HalifaxRetales
Oct 28, 2013, 2:00 PM
So last week The Works suddenly closed
and then yesterday it was suddenly opened again, with full hours resuming tomorrow

ah the joy of franchising

eastcoastal
Oct 29, 2013, 10:42 AM
So last week The Works suddenly closed
and then yesterday it was suddenly opened again, with full hours resuming tomorrow

ah the joy of franchising

I heard that it has reopened as a corporate store now - no longer a franchise

eastcoastal
Oct 29, 2013, 10:47 AM
I walked past the site for Agricola Street Brasserie yesterday (Agricola St., between Charles St. and Willow St.), light fixtures were hung, and, from peeking in the windows, it looks like most of the major work is finished. Hopefully this place is opening soon. Looked pretty nice from what I could see.

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 29, 2013, 1:14 PM
I heard that it has reopened as a corporate store now - no longer a franchise

From The Coast:
Updated Friday, October 25

The plot thickened yesterday when The Coast received the following statement from The Works' head office.

The WORKS, the full-service gourmet burger bistro chain, learned at the same time as its guests yesterday of the closing of its franchised-operated location in Halifax.

“We were extremely surprised to learn about the closing of our Halifax location,” said Andy O'Brien, president and CEO of The WORKS. “We love the Halifax market and wholeheartedly want to continue feeding Haligonians. The decision to close was not ours and we want our guests to know that it’s our intention to reopen for business as soon as possible with our great local Halifax team.”

The WORKS Halifax, located at 5431 Doyle Street, opened earlier this year and had gained popularity, reaching very respectable sales figures and a loyal customer base.

The company is devoting its full attention to this sudden closing.

The Garners were just as surprised to hear of this response from head office, reiterating that the choice to close wasn't rash on their part.

"We had been asking for assistance for months in the form of marketing of the brand and construction repairs to offset the high operating costs. In the last few weeks of operations we advised that our priority was our guests and our employees," said the Garners via email. "The only way they would help was if we signed away our legal recourse to hold them accountable for their construction blunders. We then offered them the store at a price that was over a quarter million less (than our personal investment) if they would keep the store open and rescue our 30 staff/family from unemployment."

After giving the company one week to respond, the Garners say O'Brien called last Friday night too reject the offer.

"Our sales were well below brand average here in Halifax, and there are several other stores WELL below us. The Works reported that average sales are $1,575,000. We were on track to make less than a million," said the Garners. "For months we personally funded the restaurant to keep us afloat....We made the business decision to close as we quite simply couldn't afford to continue to fund a brand that wouldn't help fund itself."

Updated Sunday, October 27

And it looks like The Works' head office has officially re-opened the restaurant. A release states that the restaurant is operating with its existing local staff.

Source: http://www.thecoast.ca/blogs/RestaurantandBarNews/

HalifaxRetales
Oct 29, 2013, 1:35 PM
Kel's in Dartmouth is closing on Nov 10

mcmcclassic
Oct 30, 2013, 12:44 PM

It's up for sale currently. The building can be YOURS for the low low cost of $595,000

JET
Oct 30, 2013, 1:29 PM

I will have to get there for a mixed meat, they were on Ochterloney, then Wyse, I wonder if they will open in a new location?

HalifaxRetales
Nov 4, 2013, 7:14 PM
Wyse Rd KFC/ Taco Bell is closed
Cole Harbour Rd closing

so many Mothers Day's will be ruined now!!!

JET
Nov 4, 2013, 8:01 PM
Wyse Rd KFC/ Taco Bell is closed
Cole Harbour Rd closing

so many Mothers Day's will be ruined now!!!

interesting that Kels and KFC are closing at the same time. Be nice if that few blocks could be fixed up.