PDA

View Full Version : Municipal Election (September, 2013)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

PoscStudent
Jun 25, 2013, 6:00 PM
Online article regarding "O'Leary accusing Mayor of political plagiarism". http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/06/25/nl-sheilagh-oleary-dennis-okeefe-crime-625.html

Take a look at some of the top comments. I'm glad people aren't buying into her hypocrisy. :tup:

Thought the same thing.

Townie709
Jun 25, 2013, 9:25 PM
Is Tom Hann officially running for deputy mayor? I just got a phone survey (the voice sounded like Geoff Chalk) and Tom Hann and Ron Ellsworth were the two candidates listed for Deputy Mayor. So is he officially running or was that placed in the survey out of speculation?

Marty_Mcfly
Jun 26, 2013, 1:31 AM
Is Tom Hann officially running for deputy mayor? I just got a phone survey (the voice sounded like Geoff Chalk) and Tom Hann and Ron Ellsworth were the two candidates listed for Deputy Mayor. So is he officially running or was that placed in the survey out of speculation?

What is this robocall I'm hearing of?

PoscStudent
Jul 2, 2013, 1:05 PM
Fred Winsor is running At Large.

PoscStudent
Jul 10, 2013, 9:34 PM
Geoff Chaulk seems to be getting some attention for completely bizarre blog posts on his website.

http://geoffchaulksblog.simplesite.com/196529496/1258717/posting/poor-patricia-daly-i-mean-patty

Townie709
Jul 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
What a douchebag. He seems to be quite obsessed with paddy's balls.. Although he is mentally unstable, it does not give him the right to be a little arrogant prick. Lock him up in the waterford where he belongs.

PoscStudent
Jul 10, 2013, 11:30 PM
^ did you also go to the "WatchingOurMedia" tab?

Townie709
Jul 11, 2013, 12:37 AM
^ did you also go to the "WatchingOurMedia" tab?

Ohmy... A real winner this guy is!

Copes
Jul 11, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah, he's out to lunch. I'd bet money he gets under 500 votes. He's not even going to be a factor.

J_Murphy
Jul 25, 2013, 3:08 PM
Another candidate has stepped forward for the St. John's municipal election. Scott Fitzgerald is running for Ward 2. Fitzgerald has volunteered as a coach over the past several years with St. John's Soccer and Youth Soccer, and with Avalon Celtics Minor Hockey.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=36685&latest=1

SignalHillHiker
Jul 25, 2013, 9:23 PM
The St. John's Municipal Election group on FB makes me want to kill myself.

Marty_Mcfly
Jul 25, 2013, 9:45 PM

:yes: X1000

Copes
Jul 26, 2013, 11:14 AM

^ This

PoscStudent
Jul 27, 2013, 5:45 PM
I'm kinda thinking that Dave Lane would have been the best pick for mayor

Townie709
Jul 27, 2013, 10:44 PM
I'm kinda thinking that Dave Lane would have been the best pick for mayor

But isn't this his first time running for public office? He would make a great mayor, but I think he made the right decision to serve a term as councillor to become a better known public figure and prove he can be an asset to the city. Dave Lane 2017!

PoscStudent
Jul 27, 2013, 10:49 PM
But isn't this his first time running for public office? He would make a great mayor, but I think he made the right decision to serve a term as councillor to become a better known public figure and prove he can be an asset to the city. Dave Lane 2017!

He wouldn't have won, but he seems to probably be the best candidate in the race.

mrjanejacobs
Jul 29, 2013, 5:37 AM
I think he would have had a very good shot if it was just Doc vs. him.

Sheilagh and him share a lot of similar values so a three way race would surely give it to doc.

Anyway - Sarah Colbourne Penney

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/02/22/nl-westend-snf-school-222.htmlhttp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/02/22/nl-westend-snf-school-222.html

I stumbled upon this interview of her chatting about the new school on Topsail Road. She is very well-spoken and articulate. I was impressed.

However, she totally has the housewife platform in her campaign = kids. safe road crossings. green space.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not that 'fresh'.

mrjanejacobs
Jul 29, 2013, 8:05 PM
There was an "ask Sarah" question box on her website. I asked the question below and she responded within hours with a very thoughtful and in-depth response:

--

The Northeast Avalon is growing rapidly and the demand for modernized and enhanced transportation infrastructure has never been higher. How do you see public transportation evolving in the City and in the metro area? Do you have ideas as to how we can improve our current service while making meaningful additions to what is already offered?

Thank you for your questions. I don’t know if you are familiar with them, but I really like what Happy City has to say on this topic. I have included a link to two of their blog posts:

http://www.happycity.ca/blog/?tag=Transit

I believe public transportation is essential and must be improved, and in order to achieve this, we should be looking at public transportation from a regional perspective. Thousands of people on the Northeast Avalon do not have access to public transit; however, at the same time, this same area is experiencing unprecedented growth. The status quo is untenable, and the City must engage all stakeholders to come up with solutions. I believe a challenge is an opportunity, and this is clearly an opportunity to do public transit right.

I am interested in improving public transit’s efficiency and convenience while still maintaining a cost-effective service. To do this, public transit should be an important part of planning and development – not an afterthought. I am interested in the creation of “neighbourhoods not subdivisions”, in which residents can live, work, and engage in leisure activities without having to drive long distances. We need to engage in “intelligent development” – being mindful of the future environment we are creating today. The extension of infrastructure to accommodate low-density developments is wasteful of tax dollars.“More roads” is not the answer; instead we must try to alleviate our over-reliance on cars by being mindful of creating communities, and by making public transit a more attractive alternative.

Currently public transit in the City of St. John’s suffers an image problem, as well as some lack of convenience-to-riders issues, (lack of routes, long commute times, etc), which create barriers for its more widespread use. Public transit is essential, as it increases accessibility to City and other services, and aids in alleviating traffic congestion. As the City develops, we need to make a conscious effort to try to reduce our reliance on cars and utilise more environmentally-friendly modes of transportation.

With regard to parking downtown, for example, it should not be financially advantageous to drive into the City and park all day as compared to the cost of taking public transit. “The monthly cost to park in a municipal lot is $10.00 cheaper than a transit pass, and for this solution to be effective, parking costs should be greater than or equal to a transit pass.” (Dillon Consulting Limited, St. John’s Transportation Commission Metrobus, Market Assessment and Strategic Directions Study – Part D, 2011)

We need an animated and strong downtown core that is vibrant and pedestrian friendly. I am open to exploring “park and Ride” terminals as these would help achieve this goal, as well, I would be open to designating some “pedestrian only” areas in the downtown core.

(Sorry if I have rambled a bit, but this is a big topic I feel strongly about.)

In conclusion, an efficient regional transportation system would allow for continued growth and sustainability, and it is one of my goals. As a Councillor, I would not only focus on the issues in Ward 3, but also be mindful of the City as a whole and the interconnectedness of all components.

Feel free to contact me for follow-up questions or a chat.

Sarah

Sarah Colborne Penney
Our Voice. Our City. Our Future.

PoscStudent
Jul 30, 2013, 1:05 PM
Tom Hann has decided to seek re-election as an At Large candidate. So Ron Ellsworth won't likely face much competition for Deputy Mayor!

J_Murphy
Jul 30, 2013, 2:36 PM
Tom Hann has decided to seek re-election as an At Large candidate. So Ron Ellsworth won't likely face much competition for Deputy Mayor!

Does he currently have any competition?

BigRedSpecial
Jul 30, 2013, 2:56 PM
Wow, Sarah's response to your question is the best thought out, logical response I've ever heard from a politician. Colour me impressed.

Scott Fitzgerald
Jul 30, 2013, 5:24 PM
Still 10 months away but I'm hoping the municipal election kicks off early next year. I think it would be great to see the mayoral campaign go on several months, with a number of debates.

As was announced by them both several months ago neither Debbie Hanlon or Gerry Colbert will be seeking re-election. I've also heard that Shannie Duff will not be seeking re-election, not sure if she will quit early after her recent health issues.

Andrew Harvey announced in September that he would run, again, in Ward 2, I think Frank Galgay made some comment implying he'd be running again.

I've also heard in recent days that Ron Ellsworth will be a making a political comeback and run Deputy Mayor again.

Of course Sheilagh O'Leary is expected to run for Mayor and Dennis O'Keefe has said he intends to also seek re-election.

Mayor
Dennis O'Keefe
Sheilagh O'Leary
Geoff Chaulk

Deputy Mayor
Ron Ellsworth (www.Ellsworth2013.com)

Ward 1
Danny Breen (www.dannybreen.ca)

Ward 2
Andrew Harvey (www.voteandrewharvey.com)
Jonathan Galgay (http://www.galgayward2.ca/)
Simon Lono (www.Lonoward2.ca)
Scott Fitzgerald (www.whynotscott.ca)

Ward 3
Bruce Tilley
Walter Harding (http://walterharding.com)
Sarah Colborne Penney (http://sarahcolbornepenney.weebly.com/)

Ward 4
Bernard Davis (http://www.bernarddavis.ca)
Lou Puddister

Ward 5
Wally Collins

Councillor At Large
Tom Hann (incumbent)
Sandy Hickman
Dave Lane (www.votedavelane.ca)
Art Puddister (www.artpuddister.ca)
Derek Winsor
Fred Winsor
Cecil Whitten

Scott Fitzgerald's Website Address - whynotscott.ca

SignalHillHiker
Jul 30, 2013, 5:28 PM
Just wwanted to say great job keeping the first post of this thread up to date, PoscStudent. Excellent resource.

mrjanejacobs
Jul 30, 2013, 6:23 PM
Wow - Ward 2 is going to be hotly contested. Too bad no one is running against Breen or Collins... It would be nice to see Hann run against one of those shmoozers.

Sarah Colborne Penney seems like a great alternative to Walter Harding... haha

Copes
Jul 30, 2013, 6:46 PM
I wish I was in Ward 3 so that I could vote for Sarah Colborne Penney after that response.

SignalHillHiker
Jul 30, 2013, 7:11 PM
I hope Sarah gets in for one term to raise her profile and then is elected Mayor.

mrjanejacobs
Jul 30, 2013, 8:05 PM
You can sign up as a supporter on her website.

If you are living in ward 3, I am sure she would be happy to hear from you. She is also looking for volunteers.

Spread the word!

PoscStudent
Jul 30, 2013, 9:45 PM
I wish I was in Ward 3 so that I could vote for Sarah Colborne Penney after that response.

She's up against the excellent Bruce Tilley though.

Townie709
Jul 31, 2013, 2:54 AM
She's up against the excellent Bruce Tilley though.

Don't forget Walter Harding! That guy is a real force to be reckoned with, so I hear :rolleyes: :haha:

AllBlack
Jul 31, 2013, 11:47 AM
I see that campaign signs and banners are starting to go up. None for Mayor's race yet though.

Good to get early exposure I think, especially for the low-information voters. My 6-year old daughter says she's definitely voting for Art Puddister! :D

PoscStudent
Jul 31, 2013, 2:15 PM
I hate Puddister's signs, and love Dave Lane's.

Scott Fitzgerald
Jul 31, 2013, 3:57 PM
Wow - Ward 2 is going to be hotly contested. Too bad no one is running against Breen or Collins... It would be nice to see Hann run against one of those shmoozers.

Sarah Colborne Penney seems like a great alternative to Walter Harding... haha
Hi folks. Just thought I would pop in and let everyone know that I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I'm running in Ward 2 again having run in 2009. Feel free to contact me through this forum or via my website whynotscott.ca or on Twitter @scottyfitzNL. Cheers.

Architype
Aug 1, 2013, 1:38 AM
Here's a good article about the questions people should be asking, in this column from the chairman of the St. John’s Board of Trade:

The question to ask your candidates when they come knocking for your vote is. what their plans are in terms of using existing infrastructure. How do they plan to effectively grow the city without sprawling out?

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Columnists/2013-07-30/article-3332768/Lets-build-something-together/1

PoscStudent
Aug 2, 2013, 11:56 AM
Deanne Stapleton has announced she's running at large. Not much on her website though. I'd say she will have a good chance of getting in if she ends up being the only woman running At Large.

PoscStudent
Aug 2, 2013, 12:29 PM
I just heard Lou Puddister on OpenLine. He was discussing how we need park and ride for the downtown, with parking lots in the fringes of the downtown. He thought the Oceanex lot where the new cars are parked would be a good location for a park and ride. I believe he then mentioned having the trolley permanent for the park and ride

Townie709
Aug 2, 2013, 6:45 PM
I just heard Lou Puddister on OpenLine. He was discussing how we need park and ride for the downtown, with parking lots in the fringes of the downtown. He thought the Oceanex lot where the new cars are parked would be a good location for a park and ride. I believe he then mentioned having the trolley permanent for the park and ride

Sounds like somebody reads these forums :P fantastic ideas though! I hope this isn't just spewing out coral to get elected though

SignalHillHiker
Aug 3, 2013, 9:10 PM
I was making fun of his slogan ("I am asking for your vote") as possibly to worst political slogan I've ever heard... but I like this guy now. :) Good for him.

Townie709
Aug 4, 2013, 2:38 AM
I was making fun of his slogan ("I am asking for your vote") as possibly to worst political slogan I've ever heard... but I like this guy now. :) Good for him.

No, that's Art Puddister's slogan. Maybe it's Lou's as well, idk. I haven't seen any Lou Puddister signs around. Are they brothers or something??

PoscStudent
Aug 4, 2013, 12:15 PM
No, that's Art Puddister's slogan. Maybe it's Lou's as well, idk. I haven't seen any Lou Puddister signs around. Are they brothers or something??

Yes.

SignalHillHiker
Aug 4, 2013, 9:50 PM
Oh, wow. I never even noticed there were two.

Townie709
Aug 5, 2013, 3:29 PM
A candidate in ward 3 in St.John's says it's time to change our mindset about driving in the downtown. Sarah Colbourne Penney says they need to make the downtown more pedestrian friendly through the use of public transit. Colborne Penney also says it's time to explore such things as park and ride east and west terminals, making both Water and Duckworth Streets one way with angled parking, and having pedestrian-only areas in the downtown.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=37060&latest=1

SignalHillHiker
Aug 5, 2013, 3:33 PM
Dear God... I LOVE this woman. I hope she made the right decision by running in a ward and not at large. Council needs more people like this.

eastcoastCFA
Aug 6, 2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=37060&latest=1

Yup, same stuff Lou Puddister brought up this past Friday on Open Line. Talking about park & ride as a way to alleviate car traffic congestion downtown. This is good!

Copes
Aug 6, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hearing these comments is very refreshing.

SignalHillHiker
Aug 7, 2013, 1:35 PM
Build UP, not OUT, Board of Trade Says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/08/07/nl-board-of-trade-urban-sprawl-2013-08-07.html

PoscStudent
Aug 7, 2013, 2:40 PM
The council should set a per km density requirement for all new developments in the city.

Architype
Aug 7, 2013, 3:00 PM
The council should set a per km density requirement for all new developments in the city.
That would eliminate most high end single family housing, or it would just have to be balanced accordingly.
To bring in denser forms of housing as the new standard, the whole system of infrastructure supporting it needs to be re-imagined.
The conventional types of developments (in St. John's, etc.) are not suited to higher density, as it exists now.
There needs to be more mixed use, and pedestrian oriented planning, cars are better seen served as a lesser priority.

PoscStudent
Aug 7, 2013, 3:13 PM
That would eliminate most high end single family housing, or it would just have to be balanced accordingly.
To bring in denser forms of housing as the new standard, the whole system of infrastructure supporting it needs to be re-imagined.
The conventional types of developments (in St. John's, etc.) are not suited to higher density, as it exists now.
There needs to be more mixed use, and pedestrian oriented planning, cars are better seen served as a lesser priority.

Though there will not be a lot of them built in the city anymore, I was thinking more or less having this standard for new larger subdivision developments. For instance an area like Kenmount Terrace (though already mostly built), or Glencrest. I think there needs to be compromise so that some smaller areas can still be developed without meeting strict standards.

Here are some questions I would like councillors to answer.

1) Do you use Metrobus Transit on a regular basis, why or why not? Would you be in favour of a complete overhaul of Metrobus Transit and the creation of a regional transit system in the Northeast Avalon?

2) Would you support making GoBus and Metrobus essential services to prevent disruption in service by strikes?

3) Would you support making future subdivision developments in the city meet a certain per kilometer density requirement?

4) Do you support reconfiguring the roadways downtown to make Duckworth Street and Water Street one-way streets, in opposite directions, and having diagonal parking instead of parallel parking?

Architype
Aug 7, 2013, 3:20 PM
I'm not sure if the one way street concept would work, I think it requires a dense street network with lots of cross streets. It is worth looking sat though, by professional traffic engineers. I don't know if the streets are wide enough for angled parking.

PoscStudent
Aug 7, 2013, 4:10 PM
Angled on one side, that may create more than parallel on both sides. Who knows? Should be researched though.

AllBlack
Aug 8, 2013, 5:10 PM
Student makes website to cover St. John's election

CBC News

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 12:51 PM NT

Last Updated: Aug 8, 2013 1:46 PM NT

A new website created by a local student aims to help residents understand the upcoming municipal election process in St. John's.

Sherwin Flight, an information technology student at Eastern College, said his interest in municipal politics was first sparked while he was following city issues and sitting in on city council meetings.

He said while he was trying to find more information about the candidates for the fall election, he had a difficult time finding relevant information.

"I'm kind of interested in municipal politics myself and I found that when I was looking for information on who was running and what their platform was, it was quite a bit of work to search out each candidate individually and read about them," Flight said.

"So I figured if we could put together a website where it was all in one place it would make it so much more easier and convenient for people to find out what's going on."

Flight said there is a lot of information contained on his website to help people get involved in the voting process.

"You can find the information you need on how to vote and how to get on the voters list," he said.

"You can find a list of the candidates running in each ward and for the different positions of mayor, deputy mayor and at-large councillors and you can get a summary of what their platform is and what their contact information is."

Flight said he included social media links for the candidates in each of the profiles.

The 2013 St. John's municipal election will take place on Sept. 24.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/08/08/nl-st-johns-municipal-election-website-808.html

Here's the website:

http://www.stjohns2013.ca/

PoscStudent
Aug 8, 2013, 8:02 PM
Wow, it's really well done. Cool.

eastcoastCFA
Aug 10, 2013, 2:28 AM
What are people's thoughts on candidates "representing" residents on issues?

Sheilagh O'Leary's twitter feed complimented Bernard Davis (Ward 4 candidate) for weighing in on the issue of the vacant Loblaw space in Churchill Square. His website says he had written to Loblaws and "On behalf of the residents of Churchill Park area, Davis is hoping to receive a response to his letter in a timely manner."

For sure that space is a concern for residents and store owners. But why is a candidate who isn't on council writing to Canada's largest food retailer "on behalf of" residents?

eastcoastCFA
Aug 10, 2013, 6:19 AM
Here's the website:

http://www.stjohns2013.ca/

This website has really taken the work out of searching for candidate info. One stop shopping!!! Awesome job.

Marty_Mcfly
Aug 10, 2013, 3:18 PM
What are people's thoughts on candidates "representing" residents on issues?

Sheilagh O'Leary's twitter feed complimented Bernard Davis (Ward 4 candidate) for weighing in on the issue of the vacant Loblaw space in Churchill Square. His website says he had written to Loblaws and "On behalf of the residents of Churchill Park area, Davis is hoping to receive a response to his letter in a timely manner."

For sure that space is a concern for residents and store owners. But why is a candidate who isn't on council writing to Canada's largest food retailer "on behalf of" residents?

May be getting ahead of himself there :P I do admire the attempt, but in reality Loblaws can't be forced to do anything with their abandoned properties. At most someone can try to ask real nicely for them to consider selling.

techie
Aug 11, 2013, 11:56 PM
Loblaws doesn't own these properties. AFAIK they are owned locally, but Loblaws has long term leases signed on them. The owner is still getting rent paid, and the supermarket doesn't have to deal with competition. You won't see anything in those spaces soon.

PoscStudent
Aug 12, 2013, 10:09 AM
Lorne loder has announced he's running at large.

Townie709
Aug 12, 2013, 3:31 PM
Lorne loder has announced he's running at large.

Is that Jeddy's real name??? :laugh:

jeddy1989
Aug 12, 2013, 3:39 PM
Is that Jeddy's real name??? :laugh:

no lol
Sorry but I don't think it's happening for me this time around :(

Townie709
Aug 12, 2013, 4:10 PM
Oh well.. That just means you'll be extra prepared for the next election :tup:

jeddy1989
Aug 12, 2013, 6:19 PM
Oh well.. That just means you'll be extra prepared for the next election :tup:

that's the plan

PoscStudent
Aug 12, 2013, 8:57 PM
Lionel West has announced he's running for councillor at large,ma third attempt at council. www.westatlarge.com

sherwin_flight
Aug 27, 2013, 7:52 AM
I announced my campaign for Ward 5 last week. You can find my website here http://www.sflight.ca and my Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/VoteFlight

Sherwin Flight

J_Murphy
Aug 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
I announced my campaign for Ward 5 last week. You can find my website here http://www.sflight.ca and my Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/VoteFlight

Sherwin Flight

Excellent job on the website and best of luck in your campaign.

In other news, Jennifer McCreath is now running against Ron Ellsworth for deputy mayor:

It looks like there will be a race for the deputy mayor's job in St. John's after all.

Transgender activist Jennifer McCreath said she will file nomination papers on Tuesday.

Ron Ellsworth has so far been the only declared candidate for the position. Shannie Duff, the current deputy mayor, is retiring from politics after the Sept. 24 election.

Last week, McCreath said she was dropping plans to run for council because she could not find enough people willing to sign her nomination papers.

On her blog, McCreath wrote that she discovered “the harsh reality, that not even [my] closest friends are willing or able to step forward and publicly nominate [me].”

She said that changed when she went public with her problem.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/08/27/nl-jennifer-mccreath-city-council-827.html

SignalHillHiker
Aug 27, 2013, 12:05 PM

Sherwin Flight

Congratulations! :D

Copes
Aug 27, 2013, 12:14 PM

Sherwin Flight

Best of luck Sherwin!

SignalHillHiker
Aug 27, 2013, 7:24 PM
The City's recent Facebook status update:

Nomination period for the City of St. John’s municipal election has closed and we have a candidate roster as follows:

Mayor
Chaulk, Geoff
O’Keefe, Dennis
O’Leary, Sheilagh

Deputy Mayor
Ellsworth, Ron
McCreath, Jennifer

Ward 1 Councillor
Breen, Danny - Acclaimed

Ward 2 Councillor
Fitzgerald, Scott
Galgay, Jonathan
Harvey, Andrew

Ward 3 Councillor
Colborne Penney, Sarah
Harding, Walter
Tilley, Bruce

Ward 4 Councillor
Davis, Bernard
Holmes, Tracy
Puddister, Lou

Ward 5 Councillor
Collins, Wally
Flight, Sherwin

Councillor at Large (four positions open)
Badcock, Tom
Hann, Tom
Hickman, Sandy
Lane, Dave
Loder, Lorne
Manuel, Steve
Puddister, Art
Sears, Paul
Stapleton, Deanne
West, Lionel
Whitten, Cecil
Winsor, Derek
Winsor, Fred

PoscStudent
Aug 27, 2013, 8:49 PM
Here's the list with links to their websites. Still searching for sites for the new candidates.

Mayor
Dennis O'Keefe (www.dennisokeefe.ca)
Sheilagh O'Leary (www.sheilaghformayor.ca)
Geoff Chaulk (www.geoffchaulksblog.simplesite.com)

Deputy Mayor
Jennifer McCreath (www.jennifermccreath.com)

Ward 1
Danny Breen (www.dannybreen.ca) Accalimed

Ward 2
Andrew Harvey (www.voteandrewharvey.com)
Scott Fitzgerald (www.whynotscott.ca)

Ward 3
Bruce Tilley (www.votetilley.nlweb.ca)
Sarah Colborne Penney (http://sarahcolbornepenney.com/)

Ward 4
Bernard Davis (http://www.bernarddavis.ca)
Lou Puddister (www.loupuddister.com)
Tracey Holmes

Ward 5
Wally Collins
Sgerwin Flight (www.sflight.ca)

Councillor At Large
Tom Baddcock
Tom Hann (www.tomhann.ca)
Sandy Hickman (www.sandyhickman.com)
Lorne Loder (www.lorneloder.ca)
Steve Manual
Art Puddister (www.artpuddister.ca)
Paul Sears
Deanne Stapleton (www.DeanneStapleton.com)
Lionel West (www.westatlarge.com)
Cecil Whitten (www.cecilwhitten.ca)
Derek Winsor (www.derekwinsor.com)
Fred Winsor (www.votefred.ca)

Townie709
Aug 28, 2013, 1:07 AM
My predictions, as of now, are as follows..

Mayor: Doc O'Keefe. He is a generally well liked guy. He may not be the most charismatic political figure, but he does a respectable job. From what i'm hearing most people realize the political games O'Leary is playing and do not trust her, while Geoff Chalk belongs in the loony bin. I don't see any real competition here..

Deputy Mayor: Ron Ellsworth Pretty much acclaimed at this point. He is a well known businessman with a good head on his shoulders. (Edited)

Ward 1: Danny Breen Acclaimed.

Ward 2: Jonathan Galgay Not sure about this one.. could go either way but from what I've seen, Jonathan has done the more campaigning than most other candidates

Ward 3: Bruce Tilley Well known. Sarah seems like she has some good idea but people do not know her. Walter is an idiot. we allknow that. :haha:

Ward 4: Lou Puddister Intelligent man with a true vision for the city. Seems to have connections to many organizations. Although his face might not be on every single street corner like Bernard Davis (where does he get the funding for all those signs every 4 years? haha)Puddister is the right man for the job!

Ward 5: Wally Collins Well known and I don't believe it's likely he will lose his seat in this election. I just don't think people will have time to get to know the other candidate before the election and will vote for the status quo.

At Large: Dave Lane, Lorne Loder, Tom Hann, Sandy HIckman

J_Murphy
Aug 28, 2013, 1:20 AM

Mayor: Doc O'Keefe. He is a generally well liked guy. He may not be the most charismatic political figure, but he does a respectable job. From what i'm hearing most people realize the political games O'Leary is playing and do not trust her, while Geoff Chalk belongs in the loony bin. I don't see any real competition here..

Deputy Mayor: Ron Ellsworth Pretty much acclaimed at this point. He is a well known businessman with a good head on his shoulders. (Edited)

Ward 1: Danny Breen Acclaimed.

Ward 2: Jonathan Galgay Not sure about this one.. could go either way but from what I've seen, Jonathan has done the more campaigning than most other candidates

Ward 3: Bruce Tilley Well known. Sarah seems like she has some good idea but people do not know her. Walter is an idiot. we allknow that. :haha:

Ward 4: Bernard Davis Personally, I would much rather Lou Puddister win as he seems to have some great ideas and a good head on his shoulders, but Bernard seems to have done more campaigning. I've met bernard and I don't want him representing my ward. My vote goes to Lou, but I'm not sure how the popular vote will go.

Ward 5: Wally Collins Well known and I don't believe it's likely he will lose his seat in this election. I just don't think people will have time to get to know the other candidate before the election and will vote for the status quo.

I agree with most but have to disagree with Ward 4. I think Lou may have more business connections in the city is better known by more people. I haven't done much reading on Bernard Davis, but he seems a lot younger and I think that is why he will be defeated.

Also, I would love to see Sarah Colbourne Penney win in Ward 3.

Chew
Aug 28, 2013, 2:36 AM
Paul Sears is making another run? I had forgotten how irritating that guy was during his time on council before. I don't think people will put him back in. I sure hope not.

Also, I'm in Ward 5 - Sherwin, you have my vote. Mostly because I am very unimpressed by Collins, but also cause you seem to have some good ideas. I also saw you interviewed on TV about your website and you are way better spoken than the current councilor! Anyways, good luck!

eastcoastCFA
Aug 28, 2013, 3:11 AM

Ward 4: Bernard Davis Personally, I would much rather Lou Puddister win as he seems to have some great ideas and a good head on his shoulders, but Bernard seems to have done more campaigning. I've met bernard and I don't want him representing my ward. My vote goes to Lou, but I'm not sure how the popular vote will go.

Davis has been campaigning since he announced in the spring (winter?), long before anyone cared about the election. A pretty early start IMO.

Hopefully supporters like Townie709 will be vocal in the next 2 weeks to help Puddister take Ward 4. I'm sure Davis is a nice guy but I question his logic and political savvy.

He door-knocked with an NDP MHA. Campaigns with Hickman. Has a brochure testimonial from known Tory Ellsworth (inappropriate for a DM candidate to do, but that's another thread). And I'm pretty sure his giant light-up mobile campaign sign is on the front lawn of Liberal leadership candidate Danny Dumeresque!! I'm sure they all think he's a nice guy, but all these public political alignments are bizarre. Point being, he's all over the map.

Ads on buses that run across the city at a cost of $1500. For mayor or DM that's normal. For a Ward candidate, it's excessive. How a candidate spends during a campaign speaks to his/her fiscal management abilities.

Wrote a letter to Canada's largest national grocery retailer on behalf of Ward residents, but he's not on Council so he doesn't actually represent them.

Ran in the last 2 elections and was defeated both times. Not even 35 years old. Why not wait 4 or 8 years and give it another go?

Personally, I think he's getting bad advice from somewhere ...

Townie709
Aug 28, 2013, 3:41 AM
Davis has been campaigning since he announced in the spring (winter?), long before anyone cared about the election. A pretty early start IMO.

Hopefully supporters like Townie709 will be vocal in the next 2 weeks to help Puddister take Ward 4. I'm sure Davis is a nice guy but I question his logic and political savvy.

He door-knocked with an NDP MHA. Campaigns with Hickman. Has a brochure testimonial from known Tory Ellsworth (inappropriate for a DM candidate to do, but that's another thread). And I'm pretty sure his giant light-up mobile campaign sign is on the front lawn of Liberal leadership candidate Danny Dumeresque!! I'm sure they all think he's a nice guy, but all these public political alignments are bizarre. Point being, he's all over the map.

Ads on buses that run across the city at a cost of $1500. For mayor or DM that's normal. For a Ward candidate, it's excessive. How a candidate spends during a campaign speaks to his/her fiscal management abilities.

Wrote a letter to Canada's largest national grocery retailer on behalf of Ward residents, but he's not on Council so he doesn't actually represent them.

Ran in the last 2 elections and was defeated both times. Not even 35 years old. Why not wait 4 or 8 years and give it another go?

Personally, I think he's getting bad advice from somewhere ...

I'm rooting (and voting) for Puddister 100%. He seems to be a much more knowledgeable man with a true vision for the city. I personally hadn't heard of him until a few weeks ago, but from checking out his website he has been involved with a lot of great organizations and hopefully will have many connections (votes) there. Hopefully people won't vote for those whose signs have been up the longest! Besides, lots of signs do not make for a successful campaign.. a good candidate makes for a successful campaign!

No disrespect to Bernard, It's great that he wants to get involved and is passionate, and i'm sure he's a great guy, but it just seems to me that Puddister is the more qualified man for the job.

Edit: Since I've seen his website and all the possible connections he has, i'm gonna change my prediction. Who know's maybe there is some reader out there who will vote for my predictions hahahaha :haha:

eastcoastCFA
Aug 28, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'm rooting (and voting) for Puddister 100%. He seems to be a much more knowledgeable man with a true vision for the city. I personally hadn't heard of him until a few weeks ago, but from checking out his website he has been involved with a lot of great organizations and hopefully will have many connections (votes) there. Hopefully people won't vote for those whose signs have been up the longest! Besides, lots of signs do not make for a successful campaign.. a good candidate makes for a successful campaign!

No disrespect to Bernard, It's great that he wants to get involved and is passionate, and i'm sure he's a great guy, but it just seems to me that Puddister is the more qualified man for the job.

Edit: Since I've seen his website and all the possible connections he has, i'm gonna change my prediction. Who know's maybe there is some reader out there who will vote for my predictions hahahaha :haha:

Tell your friends and neighbours who live in Ward 4! Request a lawn sign from Puddister! Hire a sky-writer! More people need to understand that, while they're both "nice guys", they need to elect the guy more qualified to do the job.

As for the At-Large predictions, Dave Lane and Lorne Loder definitely have the potential to mobilize the "young vote" -- likely bringing out a couple thousand who have never voted municipally before. I'd say those votes are the ones that will put those two guys over the top! Good for them. City Council needs fresh faces and fresh perspectives.

SignalHillHiker
Aug 28, 2013, 1:06 PM
My predictions:

Mayor
Sheilagh O'Leary (www.sheilaghformayor.ca)

She got more votes than Doc last time around and people who are angry about everything or afraid of the future will flock to her.

Deputy Mayor

They should just acclaim him. He has no credible competition - just one that will probably bow out with a wide-eyed, uncomfortably awkward 18-minute Youtube video with 15 minutes of silence.

Ward 1
Danny Breen (www.dannybreen.ca) Accalimed

I predict Danny wins Ward 1. :haha:

Ward 2

I want Scott, but I think Jonathan's got it.

Ward 3

Sarah is awesome, and so is Walter. Can't lose here, but I think Walter has it.

Ward 4
Lou Puddister (www.loupuddister.com)

How could a Puddister not win in Ward 4? Come on...

Ward 5

I have no idea.

Councillor At Large
Tom Hann (www.tomhann.ca)
Sandy Hickman (www.sandyhickman.com)
Lorne Loder (www.lorneloder.ca)

PoscStudent
Aug 28, 2013, 2:00 PM
O'Leary got more votes than Doc but people had four choices, one on one is quite different. I do think she has a good shot, sadly. Doc running on leadership is smart though. O'Leary isn't a leader, she's an activist.

Walter Harding won't win, I don't understand anyone voting for him him either.

I agree with your other choices. I think ward 4 will be close, though I'd choose Puddister myself. I want to see Lorne Loder and Dave Lane win bit I think this will be an interesting race. Art Puddister started early and has name recognition. Tom Hann and Sandy Hickman have the incumbency advantage, though I don't think either of them would be big losses.

Copes
Aug 28, 2013, 2:43 PM
Since we're all having fun with this...

Mayor
Sheilagh O'Leary

It guts me to say this but I think Sheilagh is going to take it. Social media is representative these days and I am just not seeing mass support for Doc like I am for Sheilagh. I hope I'm wrong. I hope that Doc supporters are just older and less inclined to actively be on social media. It's going to be close.

Deputy Mayor
Ron Ellsworth

Credible, well respected, well spoken, has not been back and forth on what he wants and how he wants to do it. I don't think this one will be a challenge.

Ward 1
Danny Breen

I know its a long shot but I believe in Danny.

Ward 2
Jonathan Galgay

I think little Galgay will take it because of name recognition. This Ward is the biggest toss up for me but we will see.

Ward 3
Sarah Colborne Penney

I think she's smart, I think she's savvy, and I think that when people start listening to her they will like what she is saying. I also think a lot of people will be able to relate to her. If not Sarah, Bruce will take it. I see Walter as a distant, distant third.

Ward 4
Lou Puddister

I expect Puddister to win his Ward. We shall see.

Ward 5
Sherwin Flight

I think people in Ward 5 want something different, and I think Sherwin got his name out there with his website, BEFORE he was running. I think he is well spoken, and if he engages people properly he will take it.

Councillor At Large
Tom Hann
Sandy Hickman
Dave Lane
Lorne Loder

Seems everyone agrees on these four around here. Dave and Lorne I think will be very fresh faces with different opinions. These are probably the four I'll be voting for as well, so I'm game.

SignalHillHiker
Aug 28, 2013, 2:58 PM
I thought Walter Harding was the guy profiled on the cover of the free business magazine that's always in restaurants beside the Scope. He was saying awesome things (so, BTW, was Doc on the cover AND the Board of Trade president in the back, amazing stuff we REALLY need to hear more of here).

But Copes informs me that Walter Harding is CBC comment guy. :haha: TOTALLY not who I was thinking of.

Rooting for Sarah.

Townie709
Aug 28, 2013, 3:07 PM
I thought Walter Harding was the guy profiled on the cover of the free business magazine that's always in restaurants beside the Scope. He was saying awesome things (so, BTW, was Doc on the cover AND the Board of Trade president in the back, amazing stuff we REALLY need to hear more of here).

But Copes informs me that Walter Harding is CBC comment guy. :haha: TOTALLY not who I was thinking of.

Rooting for Sarah.

Thank God! I thought you had gone completely off your rocker :haha:

While I am rooting for Sarah in Ward 3, and believe she's probably the best candidate, I just don't think she is well known enough to take the popular vote. We'll see how it goes

Scott Fitzgerald
Aug 28, 2013, 4:50 PM
[QUOTE=SignalHillHiker;6247042]My predictions:

Ward 2

Hey folks. Its interesting to hear the predictions. I know I'm fighting the instant name recognition of one of my competitors as well as the popularity of the other but I have been campaigning hard and will continue to do so.

I know that my background as a business owner and community volunteer as well as my passion for and commitment to Ward 2 make me the best candidate for the position.

There is no other area of the city I would rather live or raise my family and I want nothing but the best for Ward 2.

If you want Scott, spread the word and make it happen!

Thanks
whynotscott.ca

Copes
Aug 28, 2013, 6:19 PM
My predictions:

Ward 2

Hey folks. Its interesting to hear the predictions. I know I'm fighting the instant name recognition of one of my competitors as well as the popularity of the other but I have been campaigning hard and will continue to do so.

I know that my background as a business owner and community volunteer as well as my passion for and commitment to Ward 2 make me the best candidate for the position.

There is no other area of the city I would rather live or raise my family and I want nothing but the best for Ward 2.

If you want Scott, spread the word and make it happen!

Thanks
whynotscott.ca

Best of luck. I'm in Ward 1 so I haven't heard much about Ward 2 candidates (or any Ward candidates given the acclamation here). I wish you the best of luck. The concern is of course the Galgay name recognition down there, but if you're out there spreading your word than certainly anything can happen. Ward 2 is one of the two Wards I really haven't talked to anyone about.

Go get it my friend!

PoscStudent
Aug 28, 2013, 11:30 PM
The Scope has endorsed candidates for the election, even though the final list was not available. They also sent out surveys for each to complete and they can all be viewed here (http://thescope.ca/city/2013-st-johns-election-endorsements). I'm still checking them out and I'm impressed with a lot of what I've read.

SignalHillHiker
Aug 29, 2013, 2:07 PM
I'm so excited for this election. People seem to be taking it much more seriously this time around - or is it just me?

It's amazing to daydream about what it could be like if we had a council that blends heritage protection (especially in the Downtown East End) with development (especially in the Downtown West End) and increasing density (and consequently affordability) throughout the city, wherever appropriate.

There seems to be a lot more vision among the candidates this time. You have far fewer people than usual running because of a single annoyance they want to fix, but rather running because it's an exciting time for our city and they want to make sure we take advantage of the opportunity.

I can't wait to see how council shapes up.

PoscStudent
Aug 29, 2013, 4:11 PM
I think it was Sandy Hickman who kind of alluded to this on his website, but is like to hear more on what we could do to make the west end, near Fortis, would pedestrian friendly and livelier over all. Right now it's still a good distance from the core of the downtown, where all the restaurants, banks and what not are too. If you work in the west end it will take ~10 minutes just to get to a restaurant at lunch time, so you're looking at around 20 minutes walking just to get lunch. We need to encourage small business, retail and restaurants in this area. It also needs to be cleaned up, there's a few sketchy areas around there. Also Water Street up that way is now great for pedestrians, I've found it difficult getting up that way due to the weirdness of sidewalks.

Marty_Mcfly
Aug 29, 2013, 4:34 PM
I think it was Sandy Hickman who kind of alluded to this on his website, but is like to hear more on what we could do to make the west end, near Fortis, would pedestrian friendly and livelier over all. Right now it's still a good distance from the core of the downtown, where all the restaurants, banks and what not are too. If you work in the west end it will take ~10 minutes just to get to a restaurant at lunch time, so you're looking at around 20 minutes walking just to get lunch. We need to encourage small business, retail and restaurants in this area. It also needs to be cleaned up, there's a few sketchy areas around there. Also Water Street up that way is now great for pedestrians, I've found it difficult getting up that way due to the weirdness of sidewalks.

I think that area of Water Street West would be ideal to begin promoting more pedestrian-friendly businesses/restaurants/coffee shops. The roads are wide (4 lanes) allowing for heavier traffic flow. The whole area right now is a big wasteland of sketch and doesn't really promote much activity (honestly motor repair shops and 24-hour tattoo parlors don't do much for the area). Maybe a few proposed high-density apartment/condo complexes in west downtown would help get this area up and running.

PoscStudent
Aug 29, 2013, 5:01 PM
Council candidates are talking about affordable housing, what a perfect place to promote some higher-rise affordable housing. The city could help create a plan for the area and work with a developer to get it built. They could figure out some kind of way, probably with lower taxes, to get a developer willing to build a condo or apartment building.

Architype
Aug 30, 2013, 1:59 AM
Livability will attract people to St. John’s: Board of Trade
The St. John’s Board of Trade wants voters to think about livability as they consider how to vote in next month’s municipal election.

“The concept of an ideal place to live is subjective at best; however, there are common underlying themes that are proven by research to create a place people are attracted to live,” said board chairman Denis Mahoney, according to a news release from the board Tuesday.

. . .

The board also pointed to a 2012 ranking by MoneySense Magazine of the best places to live in Canada on factors including transportation, crime and affordability.

St. John’s placed 148th on the list of 190 Canadian cities. Calgary was No. 1.

. . .

Continue to full article: http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/2013-08-28/article-3366487/Livability-will-attract-people-to-St-Johns-Board-of-Trade/1

J_Murphy
Aug 30, 2013, 1:03 PM
So....is Geoff Chaulk doing any campaigning whatsoever? I haven't heard a peep from him nor have I seen one sign in the City.
After reading the blog post to Pady Daly, I cannot for one second consider voting for him.

Townieandproud
Aug 31, 2013, 1:17 AM
I am a long time lurker and first time poster on this forum. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the debate over councillors running for ward 4. I was turned off by Mr. Puddister's comments about addressing issues with parking and busing downtown. Not that I have any doubt that this is an issue that needs to be addressed but I think that if this is something he is campaigning on, shouldn't he be running in ward 2 instead? I want someone representing my ward whose primary issues are issues within the ward itself. I mean, if I were running in the provincial election for a St. John's district, and I was talking about building fish plants on the west coast, It would certainly raise a few eyebrows and turn a lot of people off!

PoscStudent
Aug 31, 2013, 1:37 AM
I am a long time lurker and first time poster on this forum. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the debate over councillors running for ward 4. I was turned off by Mr. Puddister's comments about addressing issues with parking and busing downtown. Not that I have any doubt that this is an issue that needs to be addressed but I think that if this is something he is campaigning on, shouldn't he be running in ward 2 instead? I want someone representing my ward whose primary issues are issues within the ward itself. I mean, if I were running in the provincial election for a St. John's district, and I was talking about building fish plants on the west coast, It would certainly raise a few eyebrows and turn a lot of people off!

Don't people in ward 4 park downtown?

SignalHillHiker
Aug 31, 2013, 8:17 AM
Don't people in ward 4 park downtown?

I agree. Downtown parking is a more important issue everywhere except Ward 2, especially in neighbouring municipalities like Mount Pearl, Paradise and CBS. These are the people who choose to live suburban, commuter lifestyles. These people are the reason we need more parking.

Townieandproud
Aug 31, 2013, 11:09 AM
Yes, some people living in ward 4 park downtown, but not all of them. A ward councillor needs to focus on his/her ward primarily, and issues in the city as a whole secondarily.

PoscStudent
Aug 31, 2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, some people living in ward 4 park downtown, but not all of them. A ward councillor needs to focus on his/her ward primarily, and issues in the city as a whole secondarily.

His website focuses issues in ward 4, and doesn't even mention anything about parking in the downtown. While he might be a ward councillor he'll be making decisions regarding every ward. I think most people would be interested in knowing where candidates stand on issues facing the entire city and not just their ward.

krc321
Aug 31, 2013, 8:49 PM
I'm really surprised that people feel that Lou would make a good councillor. He has little to no council experience and his volunteer experience is really inadequate to Bernie Davis.

Bernie has been a clear voice for several years now and has been involving himself in issues. I think it's outrageous to say he's trying too hard. Since when has going door to door been a bad thing? I think Bernie will appeal to more ward 4 citizens.

PoscStudent
Aug 31, 2013, 9:30 PM
Both of them seem fine to me. However, after reading Lou's website and his answers to The Scope's questioner I think he's a far better candidate.

eastcoastCFA
Sep 1, 2013, 12:20 AM
I'm really surprised that people feel that Lou would make a good councillor. He has little to no council experience and his volunteer experience is really inadequate to Bernie Davis.

Bernie has been a clear voice for several years now and has been involving himself in issues. I think it's outrageous to say he's trying too hard. Since when has going door to door been a bad thing? I think Bernie will appeal to more ward 4 citizens.

To clarify, Davis and Puddister are both without council experience. Neither one has served on council before.

A review of website bios makes it clear that neither one’s volunteer experience is “really inadequate”. Both have been recognized for outstanding service: Davis by the Guards Athletic Association, Puddister by two international service organizations. Both began volunteering as teens and continued through their adult lives. So Davis has volunteered for approx. 20 years and Puddister for approx. 30 years.

http://www.bernarddavis.ca/index.php/about-bernard

http://www.loupuddister.com/who-is-lou.html

Both have a B. Comm. Puddister also has an MBA. Davis has 9 years of career experience in the not-for-profit sector. Puddister has over 20 years of business experience including HR and government relations.

Hopefully Ward 4 residents will not just compare community volunteer resumes. Because the fact is, being a City Councillor isn’t a community volunteer gig.

It’s a municipal governance role. Councillors make decisions about multi-million dollar budgets. Decisions affecting over 1200 employees. Decisions affecting the city’s relationship with federal and provincial governments, some of which have significant financial implications. Industry relations decisions. Regulatory decisions. And the list goes on.

Based on experience, who is best suited to make those decisions?

Townie709
Sep 1, 2013, 12:24 AM

Volunteer experience does not necessarily make a good Councillor. I would much rather someone with a credible business history running my city than someone who picks up litter on the side of the highway and works part time at the soup kitchen.. not to belittle volunteer work in any way, but there are many other factors in deciding who is the best option for councillor. Someone with a good local reputation who knows how to manage finances/balance a budget and has a vision for the city, in my eyes is the ideal candidate. I see all those things in Puddister and few of those in Bernie.

Just my opinion :P

(Side note: Ward 4 seems to be the most hotly contested spot on council this time around! I've heard more discussion about Ward 4 than who will be the next mayor! But most people I've talked to are voting Puddister so I'm hoping I already know the outcome!)

SignalHillHiker
Sep 1, 2013, 12:53 PM

That doesn't really work, though. Take this exact issue...

There is already more than enough parking in Ward 2 for the residents of Ward 2. Hundreds and hundreds of surplus parking spaces.

So... if we're keeping this a ward-specific issue, there is no parking problem. In fact, we should probably try to reduce the number of parking spots since they far exceed what we actually need in Ward 2.

SignalHillHiker
Sep 1, 2013, 3:45 PM
BTW, all - with Dave Lane's permission, jeddy1989 shared with me a transcript of a Facebook conversation they had about Dave's positions regarding heritage preservation and development.

He's definitely for preserving our heritage, of course, but he's also very supportive of many of the types of developments we want to see in the neighbourhoods where we'd most like to see them happen.

I was going to vote for him as one of my four at-large positions anyway, because his big issues - engagement, transparency, public transit, etc. - are also big ones for me. And I love Happy City. Just think about that Doctor who came to talk about the importance of place... imagine a council that has someone who knows and believes in that stuff? It'd be great.

But anyhow, here's a little bit of it (just in case anyone isn't aware, La Defense (The Defense) is Paris' defense against losing its heritage. basically, it's an area of the city separate from the old town core that has been set aside for modern towers. So instead of having a blend of everywhere everywhere, like Halifax, it has a strict protected zone with office towers concentrated in one area, like Quebec City on steroids):

In short, I do like the idea of a "La Defense" approach, and that's basically what our heritage zones were trying to achieve. I think we have to renew them and update them to enable modern development through adaptive reuse and appropriate design incentives.
I would really like to hold a city-sponsored series of public workshops (charettes) to build an informed and collaborative vision for the downtown. We should have 3D (physical and virtual) models of what the downtown can be and they should be readily available for all to engage with.
As for specifics, my main thoughts are that we need to increase the Water Street vibe that enables lots of walkability, small retail, cafes, pubs, etc. The west end of Downtown can certainly have some dense office towers, but all the space around it should be a thriving little commercial and public space. So much potential.

SignalHillHiker
Sep 1, 2013, 3:48 PM
As for re-opening the heritage zone debate... I'm all for it.

jeddy1989's cousin did her thesis on 6-floor wooden buildings, which are completely normal in much of the world and allowed in B.C. - just not here because we still use Canada's outdated standards (which will soon be resolved). So allowing up to 6-floor wooden buildings will be great for in-fill in the old town.

Then we could even adjust the height restrictions in the Downtown West End, require heritage fascades to the fourth floor on Water Street but still allow more (and modern) floors above in certain areas.

On and on...

I'm sure the new heritage zone rules would be quite a passionate fight but at least they'd be updated and reflect the will and concerns of the city's most passionate residents.