PDA

View Full Version : The Great Canadian Transportation Costs Thread

vid
Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
In the Car-Free living thread we can't decide how much Canadians pay to own cars. So let's get some input. You can include what you want or don't want. To bring my numbers up to the big-boys club I am going to be as liberal as possible:

All-in, from bus passes to intercity bus tickets to the occasional chipping in for gas, transportation has cost me: (All numbers are projections to end of December)

Public transit: $720 for monthly passes; about $25 or so while using the bus in Winnipeg or that week back in May after I lost my bus pass; so total $745.
Greyhound tickets to Winnipeg and back, on two occasions: $320
Chipping in for car rental/gas on that trip: $85
Gas to family members to pay for rides/trips: $120 (or so)
The portion of my rent that goes to my building's portion of property taxes that goes to road maintenance: Approximately $200 through rent over the course of the year (our taxes are about $5,600 and the roads budget is about 5% of the city budget; the storefronts below us pay much higher rent so they're picking up the bigger share of our tax bill)
Miscellaneous: In case I forgot something, let's add another $100 just for kicks.

Total cost to transport myself to and fro within this great nation of ours: $1,570; or about 6% of my annual income.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
Fixed monthly costs:

Car payment: $417
Insurance: $119

Gas costs:

Full tank: $55
Use: 4 tanks per month

Total: $756/month or $9,072/year

oiler-dude
Nov 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
Fixed Costs:

Car Payment: $334 /mo
Insuarnce: $196 /mo
Gas (average): $100 /mo

Yearly "fixed" cost: $7,560 /yr

Varied Costs:

Public Transit: $180 /yr
Cabs: $100 /yr
Airfare: $700 - $1,500 /yr

Ayreonaut
Nov 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
No car for me at the moment, but it sounds like I might get mine back on the road next summer.

For now though, I take the bus about one round trip a month (so, $4.50/month). Negligible. But more in Calgary when I'm on the train quite often.

Flying is by far my greatest transportation expense. Just going to/from Newfoundland twice a year totals about $2000. Then there are other flights during the summer, which, this year probably cost me another $2000 or so.

My car insurance was $1800/year, but the accident was my fault, so it'll be more than that now. We'll see what that comes to. I don't even know in which province I'll register/insure it.

MTLskyline
Nov 16, 2012, 1:50 AM
I take the RTL buses and Montreal Metro. I pay $94 a month for that privilege (student fare)... $1,128/year. It would be $117/month if I wasn't a student. In 2013, I'll pay $97/month (and $122/month after I graduate)....

What is annoying is that I live within walking distance of the Longueuil metro station but to use it, I must pay for an AMT Zone 3 pass... To compare a student on Montreal Island (even if it's in the much further away West Island) pays $43.75/month, and a non-student pays $75.50...

I live in a fairly dense area of the south shore, with a downtown area nearby, so I can do most errands on foot. I only really use the Longueuil buses to get to and from the Metro station even though it's a really short ride (figure I might as well since I'd pay for it anyways...)

Aylmer
Nov 16, 2012, 2:21 AM
Student bus pass - it comes out to about $60 a month with taxes, so $720 a year. I occasionally take the train, but not more than $150 a year.

feepa
Nov 16, 2012, 2:43 AM
Fixed Costs:

Car Payment: $570/mo
Insuarnce: $125/mo
Gas (average): $250/mo

Yearly "fixed" cost: $11340 /yr

Most of that is expensed.

I have no idea how much I spend on airfare, mostly fly for work, and its all paid for by work.