PDA

View Full Version : What is the event of greatest global significance to happen in your city?

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 8:42 PM
What do you believe is the event of greatest global significance that happened in your city?

There are handful for St. John's that I struggle to choose between because I believe they're all reasonably significant globally and I don't know whether to go with historical, shaping-the-world significance, or blatantly contemporary significance.

So, I'll narrow it down to two, one example I consider closer to each:

1. August 5, 1583: Sir Humphrey Gilbert sailed into St. John's, pushed the Basque, Breton and Normans aside, and claimed Newfoundland for Queen Elizabeth I. We became Britain's first colony, the beginning of a global empire that has shaped everything - from national borders, to sports and language, to this day.

2. December 12, 1901: Guglielmo Marconi arranged and, on Signal Hill in St. John's, received, the very first trans-Atlantic wireless signal. It was the beginning of modern communications, from computers to mobiles.

Nicko999
Nov 1, 2012, 8:47 PM
May 17, 1642...

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2012, 8:53 PM
february 2010 - winter olympics

SHOFEAR
Nov 1, 2012, 8:54 PM
Probably Leduc #1 just on the outskirts of Edmonton.

Rico Rommheim
Nov 1, 2012, 8:55 PM
May 17, 1642...

Haha. not sure that date will go down in history....but its a nice gesture :tup:

Calgarian
Nov 1, 2012, 8:57 PM
You sure like starting threads don't you.

1988 Winter Olympics.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 8:58 PM
You sure like starting threads don't you.

1988 Winter Olympics.

Ha! So it would seem.

Nicko999
Nov 1, 2012, 9:01 PM
Haha. not sure that date will go down in history....but its a nice gesture :tup:

What do you mean nice gesture? This should be the most important event in every single city around the World.

Acajack
Nov 1, 2012, 9:05 PM
What do you mean nice gesture? This should be the most important event in every single city around the World.

No, but... an event in Montreal of GLOBAL significance.

Like Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10.

Or the bed-in with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2012, 9:08 PM
i have no idea what may 17 1642 even means or signifies

Acajack
Nov 1, 2012, 9:09 PM

The foundation of the City of Montreal by Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve.

DizzyEdge
Nov 1, 2012, 9:10 PM

Founding of Montreal

Acajack
Nov 1, 2012, 9:11 PM
Ottawa

Ottawa global landmine treaty (sometime in the 90s or 2000s I think)

Ottawa accords of the 1930s that led to the Westminster statute and independence for several British colonies

Birth of the future Queen of the Netherlands on Dutch soil gifted temporarily to the Netherlands during WW2.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2012, 9:12 PM
they don't teach that kind of stuff in history class

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 PM
Ottawa

Ottawa global landmine treaty (sometime in the 90s or 2000s I think)

:worship:

Nicko999
Nov 1, 2012, 9:26 PM
No, but... an event in Montreal of GLOBAL significance.

Like Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10.

Or the bed-in with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Ok then...

Expo 67: Not only was that the most successful World Fair ever (with people around the world visiting), but we build the two artificial islands because of it, Ile Notre-Dame and Ile Sainte-Helene. Fair to say that without these islands we possibly don't have an F1 track and an F1 GP. Today, F1 is the #1 event of GLOBAL significance in Canada.

The 1976 Summer Games: Can't really get more significant than that.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:27 PM
Ok then...

Expo 67: Not only was that the most successful fair ever (with people around the world visiting), but we build the two artificial islands because of it, Ile Notre-Dame and Ile Sainte-Helene. Fair to say that without these islands we possibly don't have a F1 track and F1 GP. F1 is the #1 event of GLOBAL significance in Canada every year.

Most famous Expo ever. I don't think most of the modern world would even know ANY Expos existed if not for Expo 67.

suburbanite
Nov 1, 2012, 9:42 PM
Wasn't the first transatlantic message sent in 1858 about Buchanan's victory? Technically it was in Heart's Content, not St. Johns, but I think it's close enough.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:44 PM
Wasn't the first transatlantic message sent in 1858 about Buchanan's victory? Technically it was in Heart's Content, not St. Johns, but I think it's close enough.

I believe you are correct (I know for a fact you are right about the year and Heart's Content, but I've never learned what the subject was).

BUT: This is first trans-Atlantic message. It was transmitted by cables. Marconi's claim to fame is that it was wireless.

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Ok then...

Expo 67: Not only was that the most successful World Fair ever (with people around the world visiting), but we build the two artificial islands because of it, Ile Notre-Dame and Ile Sainte-Helene. Fair to say that without these islands we possibly don't have an F1 track and an F1 GP. Today, F1 is the #1 event of GLOBAL significance in Canada.

The 1976 Summer Games: Can't really get more significant than that.

I'd argue that Expo was more important than the Olympics. It was kind of an international coming out party for the entire country. It was also probably the last time that we all got along together as a nation and shared anything resembling a common goal.

There is also the Montreal Protocol, the treaty that resulted in the world-wide banning of CFC's and halted the depletion of the ozone. Pretty much the last time the world was ever able to successfully cooperate on any environmental initiative. I'm not sure if that level of consensus will ever be possible any time in the near future.

vid
Nov 1, 2012, 10:38 PM
The event of greatest global significance to happen in Thunder Bay was Neil Young meeting Stephen Stills in 1965, forming Buffalo Springfield, and then becoming famous.

Nicko999
Nov 1, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'd argue that Expo was more important than the Olympics. It was kind of an international coming out party for the entire country. It was also probably the last time that we all got along together as a nation and shared anything resembling a common goal.

Even though we all know what happened, the Summer Olympics are in a league of their own when it comes to SIGNIFICANCE. This is not the Winter Olympics where only half of the World (or even less I don't know the exact numbers) participates.

I understand your point though.

Here is the impact of these 2 events today...
Expo 67: Were able to build the F1 track and have F1, attracting 100k tourists spending money in the city.
Olympics: Big O. We love to hate on the Big O but it's still the biggest stadium in Canada...

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 11:14 PM
Even though we all know what happened, the Summer Olympics are in a league of their own when it comes to SIGNIFICANCE. This is not the Winter Olympics where only half of the World (or even less I don't know the exact numbers) participates.

I understand your point though.

I agree Nicko, the Summer Olympics are very significant, but they happen every 4 years and will continue to happen every 4 years. Expo 67 occurred in a time and place when such international expositions had reached the zenith in their ability to 'wow' people. International air travel was still rather exclusive, foreign foods were still exotic, Soviet Russians were all 'Ooooh! I talked to one!'

Not to mention that it was the first time that Canada had ever hosted an international event of such caliber and that it was Centennial year.

Expos have lost their lustre in this day and age where we can follow live cams, get instant youtube videos and pop over to anywhere, anytime. Nobody cares about Expos any more. Anybody remember Shanghai 2010? Way bigger than Expo 67 but the world today is a much smaller place and there are any number of international events everywhere, all the time. Not so in 1967.

The Summer Olympics- today- is a much more significant event, but historically, Expo 67 was THE event. Because it can never be replicated.

artvandelay
Nov 1, 2012, 11:18 PM
I wasn't around back then, but from talking to family members from Montreal I'd say that the Expo was more significant than the Olympics. World's Fairs at that time were still very popular events, and Expo 67 was probably the point where Montreal reached it's peak (or near it) in global prominence. Whereas the '76 Olympics were plagued with issues and the province was in a bit of social and economic turmoil by that point.

For Calgary I'd say the '88 Olympics for sure. I can't think of any other significant global events other that the 2002 G8 Summit, but I don't think anything substantial cam out of it.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 11:21 PM
:previous:

I'd say Canada reached a certain peak then, via Montreal - not to take away from Montreal, but just to add to the event's importance.

It's the Expo everyone remembers. And the Expos were a HUGE deal for decades.

sparky212
Nov 1, 2012, 11:22 PM
1968 Johnny Cash proposed to June Carter at the old ice house

shreddog
Nov 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
For Calgary ...

The Olympics?? Nah!
G8?? Nah!
The Red Mile?? Hardly.

The event of greatest global significance that ever happened in Calgary occured in 1969 at the Owl's Nest in the Calgary Inn ... by the one and only Mr Chell ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Caesar_Cocktail.JPG/727px-Caesar_Cocktail.JPG

That this for what's it worth ...

artvandelay
Nov 1, 2012, 11:38 PM
For Calgary ...

The Olympics?? Nah!
G8?? Nah!
The Red Mile?? Hardly.

The event of greatest global significance that ever happened in Calgary occured in 1969 at the Owl's Nest in the Calgary Inn ... by the one and only Mr Chell ..

:haha: Well either that or the invention of Ginger Beef (at the Silver Inn in 1974)....
http://blogchef.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ginger_beef_1.jpg
Link (http://blogchef.net/ginger-beef-recipe/)
:slob:

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 11:43 PM
For Calgary ...

The Olympics?? Nah!
G8?? Nah!
The Red Mile?? Hardly.

The event of greatest global significance that ever happened in Calgary occured in 1969 at the Owl's Nest in the Calgary Inn ... by the one and only Mr Chell ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Caesar_Cocktail.JPG/727px-Caesar_Cocktail.JPG

That this for what's it worth ...

Yeah! I've introduced many foreigners to the Caesar (additional dash of pickle juice and horseradish my personal preference). Most loved it, and I continue to keep in touch with them to this day. The Others? I wish them well on their life journey...

Idea: Post your best Caesar recipe!

Ayreonaut
Nov 1, 2012, 11:50 PM
I miss a good caesar. Anyone in St. John's reading this thread that knows a good place to get one? I suppose I could just learn to make them myself, in which case, yes please, people, post your recipes!

Motts' bottled ones aren't great.

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 11:55 PM
:previous:

I'd say Canada reached a certain peak then, via Montreal - not to take away from Montreal, but just to add to the event's importance.

It's the Expo everyone remembers. And the Expos were a HUGE deal for decades.

Oooh... the beloved s'pos

I was such a dedicated fan until 1994- the Year Of Darkness. After that, I was still a fan but I soured on MLB and professional sports in general. The money won. So sad..

SignalHillHiker
Nov 2, 2012, 12:00 AM
I miss a good caesar. Anyone in St. John's reading this thread that knows a good place to get one? I suppose I could just learn to make them myself, in which case, yes please, people, post your recipes!

My father makes a great one. Otherwise... and it shames me to say this... Irving Big Stop in Goobies. But it won't be Calgary's. Something will always seem a little off for you... just like fries, dressing and gravy made by the most well-intentioned BFs on the mainland was never quite right to me.

The Gibbroni
Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 AM

Noooooo bottled shite!

And don't kill it with too much vodka.

For a 20 oz glass:
Mott's Clamato- plastic bottle, shake well
2 shots vodka (don't waste money on expensive vodka, the ingredients nullify the taste)
Goodly amount of 'Where's your sister?' sauce- to taste (a bunch is good)
Goodly amount of Tabasco- to taste (not too much, but a bunch)
Rim glass with lime wedge (not lemon, that's for Bloody Mary's!)
Rim glass with celery salt
Dash of pickle juice- to taste
Splop of horseradish- to taste
Minimal ice- cube or two
Run lime wedge (sliced) along edge to gather celery salt, squeeze lime juice into Caesar and drop into drink
Stir, enjoy!

Garnish with celery or pickle or both!

Of course the pickle is dill.

kwoldtimer
Nov 2, 2012, 12:45 AM
In the case of Toronto, I'd say it was the discovery and successful testing in January 1922 of insulin by Banting and Best.

kw5150
Nov 2, 2012, 2:19 AM
God, this is depressing. I think Canadians get along just fine.....well out west anyway.

There is also the Montreal Protocol, the treaty that resulted in the world-wide banning of CFC's and halted the depletion of the ozone. Pretty much the last time the world was ever able to successfully cooperate on any environmental initiative. I'm not sure if that level of consensus will ever be possible any time in the near future.

kool maudit
Nov 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
I think Canadians get along just fine.....well out west anyway.

perfection. this is who we are.

Xelebes
Nov 2, 2012, 1:04 PM
Something else to consider for Montreal is the Rutherford's Golden Plate Experiment at McGill. The first demonstration of the nucleus.

For Edmonton:

Leduc No. 1 is a posibility.
Having trouble thinking of anything else.

MonctonRad
Nov 2, 2012, 1:32 PM
OK, I'll bite. I imagine the popular view will be that nothing of historical significance has happened in Moncton or southeastern NB, but I'll throw in a few notable possibilities.

The first two actually happened in Sackville (Aulac), but in many ways Sackville is an exurb of Moncton and is less than a half hour away by car.

Battle of Fort Beausejour (1755) - This was the first substantial battle of the Seven Years War in North America (little skirmishes like Jumonville Glen don't count), and was really the only English victory in the first couple of dark years of that conflict. The victor was Robert Monckton, for whom our fair city is named.

Battle of Fort Cumberland (1776) - The culmination of the Eddy Rebellion, which was the only serious threat to Nova Scotia remaining loyal to the English cause during the Revolutionary War. This was another British victory, but in some ways this was a near thing. If Nova Scotia had fallen and become the "14th colony" (a very real possibility because there were a large number of New England Planters in the region), then it is conceivable that Canada as we know it today would not exist.

Sommet de la Francophonie (1999) - the francophone version of the Commonwealth, this summit was held in dowtown Moncton and was attended by 56 member states and governments from around the world.

Kitchissippi
Nov 2, 2012, 2:51 PM
Ottawa, September 5, 1945: Igor Gouzenko defects from the USSR's embassy with 109 documents on Soviet espionage activities in the West, effectively "triggering" or exposing the Cold War out in the open.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 2, 2012, 3:04 PM
In the case of Toronto, I'd say it was the discovery and successful testing in January 1922 of insulin by Banting and Best.

Ooh, wow. I like that.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 2, 2012, 3:11 PM
perfection. this is who we are.

I think that was my favourite exchange I've ever read on a forum, ha!

flar
Nov 2, 2012, 4:46 PM
1896- world's first long distance power line built from St. Catharines to Hamilton

1ajs
Nov 2, 2012, 5:18 PM
implementation of the worlds first 911 calling system

Biff
Nov 2, 2012, 6:07 PM
I would have to say for Winnipeg is would be the opening of the Panama Canal in 1914. This arguably killed the city's chances of developing into the Chicago of the north and all future city argument threads of Toronto is bigger, better, more tall buildings than Winnipeg (such as all the Toronto vs Chicago threads).

Surrealplaces
Nov 2, 2012, 7:12 PM
Well for Calgary obviously the Olympics. Looks like someone already beat me to the Ginger Beef and the Caesar :)

freeweed
Nov 2, 2012, 7:23 PM
While everyone will say the Olympics for Calgary, I'd argue a different event: the day oil went high enough that the Oilsands became profitable on a large scale.

And while many of you may debate its global significance, I suggest that most of us really haven't considered the long-term implications. Let's re-convene this thread in 50 years.

I suppose it's arguable whether or not it happened IN Calgary though. I'm thinking more in terms of the day the financial types went to the various towers here and said "heeeeeeey, there's something here after all!"

SignalHillHiker
Nov 2, 2012, 7:31 PM
While everyone will say the Olympics for Calgary, I'd argue a different event: the day oil went high enough that the Oilsands became profitable on a large scale.

And while many of you may debate its global significance, I suggest that most of us really haven't considered the long-term implications. Let's re-convene this thread in 50 years.

I suppose it's arguable whether or not it happened IN Calgary though. I'm thinking more in terms of the day the financial types went to the various towers here and said "heeeeeeey, there's something here after all!"

I'd consider that to be attributable to Calgary (or Edmonton, for that matter). I'd certainly have no trouble crediting the Newfoundland fishery to St. John's if I'd chosen that as something of significance.

And I also think it's a great choice, the oilsands.

Surrealplaces
Nov 2, 2012, 7:44 PM
Good point Freeweed. While traditional oil and gas has always been a driver for Alberta, the oil sands has global potential and has put Canada on the map.... Some may say in negative ways, but definitely a higher profile in the business world.

The oil sands represent over half of the world's still 'invest-able' oil market. It's drawing the attention the global business world. It's had a big effect on Calgary as a global city.

touraccuracy
Nov 2, 2012, 9:41 PM
Most important? Led Zeppelin recorded some of the harmonica tracks on Led Zeppelin II here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_II#Background

Lenin
Nov 2, 2012, 10:14 PM

lake of the nations
Nov 3, 2012, 2:08 AM
In 1976, during the Olympics, Sherbrooke was the largest competition site out of Montréal. It is probably the most significant event that ever happened here.

eemy
Nov 3, 2012, 2:15 AM
Something else to consider for Montreal is the Rutherford's Golden Plate Experiment at McGill. The first demonstration of the nucleus.

I think that that work was done in the UK. He did conduct most of his research into radioactivity that led to him winning the Nobel Prize in Chemistry at McGill.

bulliver
Nov 3, 2012, 2:38 AM
For Edmonton:

Leduc No. 1 is a posibility.
Having trouble thinking of anything else.

May 24, 1938...birth of Tommy Chong :)

le calmar
Nov 3, 2012, 2:42 AM
In 1976, during the Olympics, Sherbrooke was the largest competition site out of Montréal. It is probably the most significant event that ever happened here.

I was not aware of this. Do you know what competitions were held there, and where?

Nicko999
Nov 3, 2012, 6:40 AM
Sherbrooke Stadium-Football (soccer:P) preliminaries
Sherbrooke Sports Palace-Handball preliminaries

other venues outside Montreal used during the 1976 Games.

Olympic Shooting Range, L'Acadie – Modern pentathlon (shooting), Shooting
Olympic Archery Field, Joliette – Archery
Olympic Equestrian Centre, Bromont – Equestrian (all but jumping team), Modern pentathlon (riding)
Pavilion de l'éducation physique et des sports de l'Université Laval, Quebec City, Quebec – Handball preliminaries
Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, Kingston, Ontario – Sailing
Varsity Stadium, Toronto, Ontario – Football preliminaries
Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, Ontario – Football preliminaries

lake of the nations
Nov 3, 2012, 2:27 PM
I was not aware of this. Do you know what competitions were held there, and where?

Here is a very interesting report of the event. You can learn more about "Sherbrooke Stadium" and the "Sports Palace" (Palais des Sports) from page 208 to 215.

http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1976/1976v2.pdf

jodelli
Nov 3, 2012, 7:42 PM
August 1812. Based out of Sandwich across the river, Isaac Brock captures Detroit, disabusing the American notion that any invasion of Canada in 1812 would be a cakewalk.

"The acquisition of Canada this year, as far as the neighborhood of Quebec, will be a mere matter of marching, and will give us the experience for the attack on Halifax, the next and final expulsion of England from the American continent."

Thomas Jefferson

The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict
By Donald R. Hickey

nas1787
Nov 3, 2012, 8:25 PM
My hometown of Brantford, ON

The very first long distance phone call was made from Alexander Graham Bell's homestead in Brantford to Paris, ON on August 10, 1876.

armorand93
Nov 3, 2012, 9:06 PM
Winnipeg...

Red River Rebellion - 1870
Winnipeg General Strike - 1919
Monty Hall - 1960s/1970s
Telebus system - 1986
Bus driver giving out his shoes - 2012

Anyone else?!

Antigonish
Nov 3, 2012, 9:17 PM
The Antigonish Movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonish_Movement

My Grandfather, and now my Father work for the Coady Institute. Never really realized it's significance when I was younger.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 3, 2012, 9:23 PM
Ottawa, revelation/confirmation of the existence of a Cold War between the Soviet Union and the West.

The_Architect
Nov 7, 2012, 3:00 AM

And there it is.

Echoes
Nov 7, 2012, 3:48 PM
For Saskatoon, it would have to be from 1951, when the Cobalt 60 Therapy Unit (the "Cobalt Bomb") developed by a team of researchers at the University of Saskatchewan went into operation, pioneering the treatment of cancer using radiation therapy that soon spread worldwide.