PDA

View Full Version : In which Canadian cities have you lived?

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 7:08 PM
I'm curious to see which cities have, for whatever reasons, pulled you in. Share any details you wish about how long you lived in each city, what brought you there, and so on.

Hopefully, there will be some surprises. For example, Ayeronaut's existence - an Albertan going to university in St. John's - surprises me, ha!

So, here is mine. It's a list that, until now, I've not admitted fully because I don't like to acknowledge how many years I was away from my home.

For my own purposes, I'll list only those cities I lived in for more than two months, where I either worked or went to school. This list doesn't include a few places where I lived, even for more than two months, without finding work.

I've noted some of the longest ones away from home... I'm aware I've lied a little in some past posts - for example, posting pictures I took of Winnipeg and saying they were from business trips. Sorry for that. I just didn't want to share this list.

I moved back home relatively recently (pretty much JUST before joining this forum) and wanted to forget about where I'd been and pretend I hadn't been. But it's all good now.

Newfoundland
Placentia - my first few months of life, ha!
Marystown - school
St. John's - home
Corner Brook - school
Stephenville - school

Nova Scotia
Halifax - work
Dartmouth (Cole Harbour) - work
Churchpoint - school

New Brunswick
Moncton (Dieppe) - work, 4 years

Quebec
Quebec City (Ste-Foy) - school

Ontario
Toronto - work
Kenora - work

Manitoba
Winnipeg (Fort Rouge) - work, 6 years

LeftCoaster
Nov 1, 2012, 7:13 PM
which* :)

I'm only three, Vancouver, Toronto and Kingston... if Kingston counts as a city.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 7:17 PM
:previous:

Damn it! Bahaha... and I had just gotten over the shame of my last horrifically-grammared title, which has thankfully drifted off the main page.

Is there any way I can fix it?

which* :)

I'm only three, Vancouver, Toronto and Kingston... if Kingston counts as a city.

Buddy, I listed Placentia, and Marystown, and Stephenville... and, for that matter, Newfoundland. You're safe listing Kingston.

Calgarian
Nov 1, 2012, 7:27 PM
All the places I have lived have something in common...

Calgary, AB
Cornwallis, NS
Oromocto, NB
Suffield, AB
Medicine Hat, AB

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 7:29 PM
All the places I have lived have something in common...

Calgary, AB
Cornwallis, NS
Oromocto, NB
Suffield, AB
Medicine Hat, AB

Armed Forces?

I have a cousin (former lingerie model, which makes it hilarious to me that she's done something so stereotypically masculine) in the army. She has lived in Oromocto... so?

headhorse
Nov 1, 2012, 7:34 PM
first 18 years in Drayton Valley, AB; next 2.5 years in Edmonton (downtown and Oliver); next 2 years in Victoria (Fairfield and Fernwood); and now I'm in Winnipeg (Osborne Village). for good. :)

Calgarian
Nov 1, 2012, 7:35 PM
That is correct, the old man was in the Army for 25 years so I moved every 3 years or so growing up. Need to get back to the east coast, haven't been since '91

suburbanite
Nov 1, 2012, 7:38 PM
Lived in Oakville for my entire childhood, and now I go to school in Waterloo. Not sure where I'll do my MBA when it comes to that, but I imagine I'll eventually end up in Toronto once I'm done all my schooling.

Rico Rommheim
Nov 1, 2012, 7:40 PM
Montreal - moved here from Argentina in '87, haven't looked back since.
Edmonton - 2004-2005. Wasn't my cup of tea, came back home.
Vancouver - moved there in 2010-2012. I love Vancouver as a city, but sadly, I had a dismal time there.

:)

Dmajackson
Nov 1, 2012, 7:43 PM
Anyways for me its simple enough;

Nova Scotia: Halifax, Bedford, & Lawrencetown (Annapolis Valley)
Alberta: Calgary (NW and soon-to-be SW)

But I've also been to the North' Shore (NS), Moncton (NB), Sackville (NB), and PEI enough to have basically lived there.

240glt
Nov 1, 2012, 7:45 PM
New Westminster BC (74-76)
Vernon BC (76-94)
Kelowna BC (94-98)
Nelson BC (98-00)
Vancouver BC (00-01)
Calgary AB (01-04)
Edmonton AB (04-present)

le calmar
Nov 1, 2012, 7:47 PM
For my part:

I am originaly from Sherbrooke and moved back there 2 months ago.
I spent 4 years in Montreal, 6 months in Ottawa and one summer in Banff. I also lived in France for 2 years, in Lyon and Grenoble.

Coldrsx
Nov 1, 2012, 8:07 PM
Ottawa
Edmonton
Vancouver
Edmonton

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 8:10 PM
From west to east:

Vancouver
Banff
Calgary
Sarnia
London
Oakville
Mississauga
Toronto
Montreal
Halifax

The U.S. for 2 years- Chattanooga TN, Houston TX
Australia for 1 year- Melbourne VIC, Perth WA
Edinburgh Scotland for 5 months (caught working without a visa)
Berlin Germany for 2 months- tried like hell to figure out a way to get a job/collect bottles/become a prostitute- in order to stay longer. Will definitely give it another shot.

SHOFEAR
Nov 1, 2012, 8:11 PM
Edmonton 84-91
St Johns 91 (probably the only people in history to move to nfld for work)
Clarenville 91-93
Edmonton 93-Present

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 8:13 PM
Edmonton 84-91
St Johns 91 (probably the only people in history to move to nfld for work)
Clarenville 91-93
Edmonton 93-Present

Especially in 1991. Did the moratorium end it or you needed to get back to the mainland for your own sanity/preferences?

Boris2k7
Nov 1, 2012, 8:13 PM
1987-1994: Edmonton, AB
1994-2010: Calgary, AB
2010-2011: Lawrencetown, NS
2011-2012: Calgary, AB

go_leafs_go02
Nov 1, 2012, 8:20 PM
Chatham, ON
London, ON
Hamilton, ON
Niagara Region, ON
Chilliwack, BC
Surrey, BC

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2012, 8:22 PM
ft st john, bc
courtenay, bc
nanaimo, bc
burnaby, bc
coquitlam, bc
belleville, on
kingston, on
rainbow lake, ab
grimshaw, ab

circle33
Nov 1, 2012, 8:41 PM
Actual home bases:

Sarnia
Waterloo
Toronto
Saskatoon

2 month + stretches:
Prince Albert
Geraldton
Ft. Nelson
Dawson City

Far more 1 - 2 month jaunts than I care to mention.

SHOFEAR
Nov 1, 2012, 8:49 PM
Especially in 1991. Did the moratorium end it or you needed to get back to the mainland for your own sanity/preferences?

I might have been a couple years off....We were there when the moratorium was started. even though alberta wasn't in great shape during that era the poverty and crap in nfld was like nothing i could ever comprehend.

We moved there because my fathers company was involved with Hibernia. I actually had a really interesting talk with him and some newfies about that recently. Even though Hibernia wasn't a big money maker for the province, they strongly believed the massive amount of training they were forced to do with locals is what gave the first wave of newfies the skills to work in northern Alberta and is responsible for the large amounts of second generation newfies now working in the alberta oil patch.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 8:56 PM
I might have been a couple years off....We were there when the moratorium was started. even though alberta wasn't in great shape during that era the poverty and crap in nfld was like nothing i could ever comprehend.

We moved there because my fathers company was involved with Hibernia. I actually had a really interesting talk with him and some newfies about that recently. Even though Hibernia wasn't a big money maker for the province, they strongly believed the massive amount of training they were forced to do with locals is what gave the first wave of newfies the skills to work in northern Alberta and is responsible for the large amounts of second generation newfies now working in the alberta oil patch.

Just so you know, the term Newfie is consider offensive by some. It's not as blatantly offensive as the N-word, but it probably is comparable to using the one-syllable term for the Japanese to at least 50% of the population.

I don't doubt we were shockingly poorer than the rest of Canada at that time - but it was still the 1990s. We had a normal, Canadian standard of living at that time. Especially on the island, as compared to Labrador. We would have seemed, at that time, like the Jetsons compared to First Nations reserves still today, for example.

And I never thought of that, about Hibernia. Because it would make sense. I've never wondered before why so many Newfoundlanders have the necessary skills to work on the oil sands, ha! I just assumed it was no/low skill work. Except for the higher-ups. I have a few cousins in Alberta, one of whom went there with her husband, who is an engineer. So he, obviously, got the skills in school but the John Doe's in fishing village B who go... maybe it was Hibernia.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2012, 9:11 PM
my brother lived in nfld in the 90's he can talk about poor people, he was telling me about the one family he knew, they robbed people's cabins to stay alive and all sorts of things

of course it was hibernia - my brother moved out that way to work on it from Alberta even though he is from BC

rousseau
Nov 1, 2012, 9:19 PM
Berlin Germany for 2 months- tried like hell to figure out a way to get a job/collect bottles/become a prostitute- in order to stay longer. Will definitely give it another shot.
Why not just go back to Toronto? It's a lot like Berlin, isn't it?

lubicon
Nov 1, 2012, 9:22 PM
All in Alberta:

Worsley
Fawcett
Grande Cache
Edmonton
Hay Lakes
Peace River
Edmonton (university)
Red Deer
Lloydminster
Edmonton (work)
Beaumont
Calgary

Pavlov
Nov 1, 2012, 9:23 PM
Just so you know, the term Newfie is consider offensive by some. It's not as blatantly offensive as the N-word, but it probably is comparable to using the one-syllable term for the Japanese to at least 50% of the population.

Really? After considering the stark differences between the experiences and status of Japanese Canadians and Newfoundlanders in Canadian history (Alberta has so far resisted the temptation to implement Newfoundlander internment camps, for example), it seems a little silly to equate the words "nip" and "newfie", no? Maybe there is a history to the word "newfie" that I don't understand?

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:23 PM

What? In Newfoundland? That's just... comically out of touch with the reality I knew.

It just strikes me as unbelievable because I've had an identical, but opposite, conversation with my parents relatively recently.

When my parents would visit me in Winnipeg, Mom would always, at some point, say something to the effect of, "This is disgusting, Ryan. You have to come home out of this, please. We were poor when I was growing up in Quidi Vidi, probably the poorest in St. John's, but we never lived like this. This is poverty. We always had a fresh coat of paint on the house, always clean clothes on. We had pride. We never lived like this, never."

I just.. the type of poverty you're describing goes against Newfoundland's culture to show publicly. I've lived on the mainland, I've seen modern ghettos. And nowhere in Newfoundland is like Winnipeg's North End, or has since the 60s.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:26 PM
Really? After considering the stark differences between the experiences and status of Japanese Canadians and Newfoundlanders in Canadian history (Alberta has so far resisted the temptation to implement Newfoundlander internment camps, for example), it seems a little silly to equate the words "nip" and "newfie", no? Maybe there is a history to the word "newfie" that I don't understand?

I've never heard of "Nip" before, sorry. I was referring to "Jap". I didn't know there was another term someone might think I meant instead. I apologize for that.

That said... it's not a competition. Lots of Newfoundlanders find the term offensive. We don't need to back it up with suffering. The origin the term is offensive enough (invented by American servicemen as a term for what they perceived to be lazy, unreliable Newfoundlanders who would leave their jobs on U.S. army bases to return home to do the tremendously difficult work of catching enough food for winter.).

Pavlov
Nov 1, 2012, 9:28 PM
Fair enough. Obviously, if people find it offensive, it shouldn't be used (without some good reason anyway.). I was more curious than anything.

DAVEinEDMONTON
Nov 1, 2012, 9:29 PM
1961 to 2012 - Edmonton - always maintained a home in Edmonton while working in other cities in western Canada
1990 to 1992 - Calgary - for work
2003 to 2005 - semi-retired at 40 and spent 6 months each winter in Puerto Vallarta
2006 to 2007 - Chilliwack - for work
2008 to 2009 - Abbotsford - for work

Doug
Nov 1, 2012, 9:29 PM
Too many:
Edmonton
Lloydminster, AB
Calgary
Sylvan Lake, AB
London, ON
Toronto
Ottawa
Vancouver

Doug
Nov 1, 2012, 9:32 PM
I've never heard of "Nip" before, sorry. I was referring to "Jap". I didn't know there was another term someone might think I meant instead. I apologize for that.

That said... it's not a competition. Lots of Newfoundlanders find the term offensive. We don't need to back it up with suffering. The origin the term is offensive enough (invented by American servicemen as a term for what they perceived to be lazy, unreliable Newfoundlanders who would leave their jobs on U.S. army bases to return home to do the tremendously difficult work of catching enough food for winter.).

I have lots of friends from Newfoundland and never did I pick up any offense. Guess I learned something.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:35 PM
I have lots of friends from Newfoundland and never did I pick up any offense. Guess I learned something.

Oh, you've lucked out. Generally, if you know two Newfoundlanders, you'll know one who's offended, ha!

Joking, of course. Offense to the term tends to be centered among the middle class and up in St. John's. These aren't the people who usually end up on the mainland... so it's very likely your friends in Canada may never take offense. But in Newfoundland, where a majority of the population is middle class and up and lives in St. John's, it's a risky word.

But do a Google search for:

"The N Word" AND Newfie

You'll find lots of articles more or less like this one:

http://www.themuse.ca/articles/29914

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 9:44 PM
Why not just go back to Toronto? It's a lot like Berlin, isn't it?

Oh yeah, almost identical lol!!

Difficult to tell but I'll just assume that you're joking!

Ayreonaut
Nov 1, 2012, 9:54 PM
1989 - Calgary (three months or so when I was born)
1989-2010 - Turner Valley, AB
2010-present - Split my time between Calgary, Turner Valley, and St. John's

Aside from perhaps doing a masters in Germany or Austria, I'll be going back to Calgary sometime around 2015 and will likely never permanently leave.

Townie709
Nov 1, 2012, 9:55 PM
Only St. John's NL for now! Guess I have a pretty boring life compared to most people here :haha:

And as Newfoundlander, I can honestly say I, and many others I know, don't take offense to the term "Newfie". I just consider it a part of my heritage! I think the older generation are the bulk of those who dislike the term, but I don't take offense to it!

Lenin
Nov 1, 2012, 9:56 PM
I bounced around between Lethbridge, Calgary, Vancouver, and Winnipeg for perhaps twelve years, and also spent time in Europe for a long-ish spell (mainly Germany). One year ago today I moved into the first house I've ever purchased, and it's in the West End of Winnipeg. I dig it here, and intend to stay a while.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:57 PM
Aside from perhaps doing a masters in Germany or Austria, I'll be going back to Calgary sometime around 2015 and will likely never permanently leave.

Love it, and Calgary.

I mentioned before that I was there for a business trip and fell in love. Which is odd because I hated where I was prior to that, which was also on the prairies and, objectively, similar. But going to Calgary felt like what I imagine it is to cross from northern Mexico into the United States as an illegal immigrant.

I returned home recently, as you know... and several times I have thought: ooh... should I just do a couple of years in Calgary before I settle into my "NOW I'm NEVER leaving again... even if I have to work at Walmart" mindset.

But do come back and visit us. :D At least once more in your life.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 9:57 PM
Only St. John's NL for now! Guess I have a pretty boring life compared to most people here :haha:

And as Newfoundlander, I can honestly say I, and many others I know, don't take offense to the term "Newfie". I just consider it a part of my heritage! I think the older generation are the bulk of those who dislike the term, but I don't take offense to it!

Aren't you older than me? :D (30 here, nearing on 31).

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 10:02 PM
1989 - Calgary (three months or so when I was born)
1989-2010 - Turner Valley, AB
2010-present - Split my time between Calgary, Turner Valley, and St. John's

Do your masters at Humboldt University in Berlin. Great school and a beautiful campus right off Unter den Linden. Berlin is super inexpensive compared to much of Germany (and Austria for sure). I met up with quite a few international students who had nothing but good things to say about it.

Vertigo3000
Nov 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
Pickering, Toronto, and Collingwood

kool maudit
Nov 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
london, ontario - as an infant. whatever. it's london, ontario.
toronto, ontario - as a little kid, still love the city
halifax, nova scotia - i have my problems with it as a (cramped, supercilious, unlovely) mental space, but as a city it can be lauded.

montreal, quebec - home.

ottawa, ontario - outdoorsy, functional, not my scene.

Townie709
Nov 1, 2012, 10:22 PM
Aren't you older than me? :D (30 here, nearing on 31).

Nope! Only late teens xD

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Nope! Only late teens xD

Holy crap. Well, you've had VERY intelligent comments in the SJs threads. I automatically assumed you were in your 50s. Keep it up!

The Gibbroni
Nov 1, 2012, 10:38 PM
whatever. it's london, ontario.

Yup, that's London, in a nutshell.

Vaillant
Nov 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
Montreal
toronto

Townie709
Nov 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
Holy crap. Well, you've had VERY intelligent comments in the SJs threads. I automatically assumed you were in your 50s. Keep it up!

Haha, thanks I try! I generally steer clear of age because I find a lot of adults treat teens, even late-teens as kids and basically void their opinions. Lets hope you're not those people :haha:

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 10:53 PM

Oh no, not at all. Promise. :)

(EDIT: And I should have said experienced, not intelligent, sorry!)

MonctonRad
Nov 1, 2012, 11:21 PM
1957-60: Mount Stewart PEI (population 500)
1960-79: Charlottetown PEI
1979-84: Halifax NS
1984-85: Summerside PEI
1985-89: Halifax NS (again)
1989-present: Moncton NB

I have lived for short stints (2-3 months) in:
- Sydney NS
- Saint John NB
- Washington DC

isaidso
Nov 1, 2012, 11:25 PM
Halifax
Montreal
Toronto

FrAnKs
Nov 1, 2012, 11:42 PM
Very simple :

Born -> Laval, Qc : 1988-1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laval,_Quebec

Raised -> St-Eustache, Qc : 1997-2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Eustache,_Quebec

Home -> Quebec, Qc : march 2011 to now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City

SignalHillHiker
Nov 1, 2012, 11:43 PM
St-Eustache, Qc.

I always read that as "Saint Mustache".

FrAnKs
Nov 1, 2012, 11:51 PM
St-Eustache, Qc.

I always read that as "Saint Mustache".

LOL same here! I always name that place ''Ste-Moustache'' myself for fun :D ... glad to see im not alone :P .... it's definitely not a sexy name.

kwoldtimer
Nov 2, 2012, 1:06 AM
Kitchener-Waterloo: Born, raised and undergrad degree
Toronto: 5 years (school)
Ottawa: 30 years, off and on (work)
Back to K-W (retired and finally back home!)

Mixed in with the time in Ottawa, I also lived in:
New Delhi: 2 years
Cape Town: 2 years
San Salvador: 2 years
Washington D.C.: 4 years
and most recently:
Panama City: 2 and a half years

jeddy1989
Nov 2, 2012, 1:07 AM
I was born and I live in St. John's

(these might not be canadian but it's where i've lived)

I've lived in
Caracas, Venezuela- work/school
Viña del Mar, Chile- School
La Coruña, Spain- (a couple of courses with School)

I'm sure I'll be in other cities for short amounts of time living (lots to be learned from the world).. hey I'm still in my 20s but St. John's is home base ;)

:notacrook:

Townie709
Nov 2, 2012, 1:08 AM
(EDIT: And I should have said experienced, not intelligent, sorry!)

Haha, That's better! :P

thomax
Nov 2, 2012, 1:23 AM
I've lived in the same house my whole life, but I've lived in 2 different cities :cool:
Stoney Creek: 1993-2001
and then Stoney Creek became a part of Hamilton so...
Hamilton: 2001-Present

codyLawrenceDylan14
Nov 2, 2012, 1:38 AM
Mine aren't really worth mentioning but anyway!

Long Beach ,NL first two years of my life! 1997-1999 pop: ~130-150

Hodges cove ,NL From 1999-present pop: ~200-250

I will start doing more moving around when I graduate I guess :)

giallo
Nov 2, 2012, 2:02 AM
Victoria - 2 1/2 years
Kelowna - 18 years
Calgary - 4 months
Vancouver - 4 years

I've been out of Canada for the last decade. Might be coming back to Vancouver next year.

Smevo
Nov 2, 2012, 2:48 AM
I understand Signal's apprehension in admitting to living somewhere. I hesitate every time I say I've lived in Fredericton because there's a large period of that time I'd rather forget, not because of the city but for personal reasons. Here's my list:

1982 - Rockdale, NS (small village on the south coast of Cape Breton Island)
1982 to 2000 - Sydney, NS (Whitney Pier the whole time)
2000 to 2008 - Fredericton, NB (2000-2001 on campus, 2001-2002 Forest Hill just east of the old TCH, 2002-2003 Devon, 2003-2006 Downtown on Northumberland St, 2006 Priestman St, 2006-2007 Biggs St, 2007-2008 Nashwaaksis)
2008 to present - Calgary (2008-2012 Panorama Hills NW, 2012 and for the forseeable future Sage Hill NW)

Jarrod
Nov 2, 2012, 5:40 AM
1987-2003: Prince Rupert, BC
2003-2005: Black Creek/Courtenay, BC
2005-2007: Victoria, BC
2007: Calgary, AB
2007-2008: Comox, BC
2008-present: Edmonton, AB

citizen j
Nov 2, 2012, 5:58 AM
Edmonton
Ottawa
Detroit
Ottawa
Chile (3 cities in the south)
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto,
in that order.

someone123
Nov 2, 2012, 6:02 AM
I've lived in Vancouver, Toronto, and Halifax.

MolsonExport
Nov 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
Montreal (QC)
St. Laurent (QC)
St. Lambert (QC)
Edmonton (AB)
Kirkland (QC)
Kelowna (BC)
Vancouver (BC)
Richmond (BC)
Kirkland (QC)
Montreal (QC)
London (Ont)

Johnzz
Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 PM
Regina
Saskatoon
Vancouver
Toronto
NY
London, UK (current)

JHikka
Nov 2, 2012, 2:45 PM
Saint John....:(

oiler-dude
Nov 2, 2012, 5:36 PM
(1989 - 1990 - Stuttgart, Germany)

1990-1996 - Edmonton, AB (immigration to Canada)
1996 - 2008 - Vanderhoof, BC (parents bought a fishing resort)
2008 - Present - Edmonton, AB (needed to get out of a small town, went to school, and now living my "real" life!)

flar
Nov 2, 2012, 6:08 PM
Only listing cities:
London 1994-2002
Hamilton 2002-2009
Ottawa 2009-present

Pavlov
Nov 2, 2012, 6:13 PM
Victoria, BC: 1.5 years;
Calgary, AB: 27 years;
Beijing, China: 2 years;
Saskatoon, SK: 3 years;
Regina, SK: 2 years; and
Kingston, ON: 2 months and counting...

West_aust
Nov 2, 2012, 6:29 PM
Pointe-Claire (QC)
Brossard (QC)
Montreal (QC)

1ajs
Nov 2, 2012, 7:01 PM
winnpeg since i was 4 befor that a small town in northern manitoba called lynn lake

closest i've come to living any where els would be summers in calgary

Bankview
Nov 2, 2012, 9:27 PM
1992-1995 - Regina, Saskatchewan.
1995-2010 - Waldeck, Saskatchewan (a village, not a city.) :D
2010-2011 - Calgary, Alberta
2011- - Vancouver, British Columbia

And off to Toronto in 2013! :notacrook:

Xelebes
Nov 2, 2012, 9:29 PM
1985-1987 Saskatoon, SK
1987-1988, 1992-. . . Edmonton, AB
1988-1990 Devon, AB (Town, not city)
1990-1992 Hepburn, SK (Hamlet, not city.)

harls
Nov 2, 2012, 11:12 PM
Brandon MB
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Toronto
Regina
Montreal
Gatineau

manny_santos
Nov 3, 2012, 12:45 AM
London, Toronto, and Kingston. Kingston is my favourite of the three.

manny_santos
Nov 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
London (Ont)

More specifically, the land of Liver & Onions :D

AuxTown
Nov 3, 2012, 1:21 AM
Regina and Ottawa

FrAnKs
Nov 3, 2012, 2:04 AM
Regina and Ottawa

It rhythm

bulliver
Nov 3, 2012, 2:46 AM
From birth to present:

Kamloops BC
Cache Creek BC
Edmonton AB
Penticton BC
Summerland BC
Burnaby BC
Penticton BC again
Edmonton AB again.

Mininari
Nov 3, 2012, 3:42 AM
Port Moody (Birth, raised)
Coquitlam (move away from the parents; go to University)
Nelson (co-op job)
Port Moody (again)
Winnipeg (wife got into medical school there; I tagged along... ended up with an excellent opportunity in my field of study for a PhD).
(including short stints in Dauphin, Brandon, Steinbach and Morden for my Wife's rural placements)
Now planning for an actual move to Steinbach next Summer.

Medicineline
Nov 3, 2012, 4:55 AM
58-75 Winnipeg, ( proud northender )
76-82 Calgary
82-86 Colorado Springs
86-87 Vancouver
88-12 Calgary

MolsonExport
Nov 3, 2012, 6:21 PM
More specifically, the land of Liver & Onions :D

Indeed. The banner is still there at the Lord Gainsborough Restaurant.

Antigonish
Nov 3, 2012, 9:10 PM
Antigonish NS born and raised.
Halifax NS for University
Vancouver BC (Lived in South Surrey, East Van, Queensborough - New West)
Exshaw AB
Lawrencetown (Annapolis Valley) NS for school.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 3, 2012, 9:22 PM
Ottawa born and raised, with periods in Hull/Gatineau with my dad. Lived in North Bay for college, and now I'm living/working in Dorval/Montreal.

Wharn
Nov 4, 2012, 3:15 AM
1991-1995 Former Metropolitan Republic of Scarberia
1995-1998 Northyorkistan
1998-2009 The United Imperial City of Toronto and her Dependencies
2009-2012 London... just London.

My address didn't change in 1998, but since Metro was dissolved and the City of North York ceased to exist as a separate political entity, I technically lived in a third city. As for London, I want to stay after university but the long-term employment situation here is grim. I'm probably going to end up moving back to Toronto :yuck:

kwoldtimer
Nov 4, 2012, 2:02 PM
1991-1995 Former Metropolitan Republic of Scarberia
1995-1998 Northyorkistan
1998-2009 The United Imperial City of Toronto and her Dependencies
2009-2012 London... just London.

My address didn't change in 1998, but since Metro was dissolved and the City of North York ceased to exist as a separate political entity, I technically lived in a third city. As for London, I want to stay after university but the long-term employment situation here is grim. I'm probably going to end up moving back to Toronto :yuck:

I lived in Northyorkistan for three years a long time ago, specifically in Downsvoid. I still have nightmares ..... :D

The_Architect
Nov 7, 2012, 2:46 AM
I split my growing up between Toronto (specifically East York) and Oakville, and go to school in Waterloo.

softee
Nov 7, 2012, 4:09 AM
Wallaceburg, Cochrane ON, North Bay, and currently Toronto.

Copes
Nov 7, 2012, 1:39 PM
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia (1989 - 2001)

Born here, and spent elementary school on the South Shore. This is where my family is from so I return often.

Wolfville, Nova Scotia (2001 - 2007)

Dad got a transfer, moved here, this is where I "grew up". This is also where I consider "home" to be, although recent news is that Dad got a transfer to Toronto to finish his career on Bay Street, so visits to my "hometown" may be few and far between as of 2013. :( That being said... hell yeah to excuses to visit Toronto multiple times a year! Maybe a move there permanently is in my future? I wouldn't be opposed.

Also note that throughout all this, Halifax was the city I associated with. I was in there at least once a month, and after moving away to University I would travel there all the time to visit friends. Halifax is, by and large, my "home city". Both Wolfville and Bridgewater are an hour or so outside the city. I know people who commute to work in Halifax from Wolfville. Love me some Halifax.

St. John's, Newfoundland (2007 - Present)

Moved to St. John's for school, despite Acadia being in my hometown. Wanted a change of scenery, and a larger city. Didn't want to be in Halifax, too familiar. I also still wanted to be close enough that I'd be able to travel home for Holidays and even some long weekends, because my family is close. Love St. John's, and after graduating in May, I managed to find work here. I'll undoubtedly be in this city for at least a few more year.

As for the future, I very much want to live in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Los Angelas, and somewhere in Europe before my days are done. I've got a really good buddy from Ecuador, so maybe some South America as well. Los Angelas has the school that I want to do my masters program at, so that's hopefully in the not too distant future (assuming I make it in!).

I'm only 23, so the sky is the limit!

kool maudit
Nov 7, 2012, 2:10 PM
The Architect

Where is your avatar from? It's very familiar...

isaidso
Nov 7, 2012, 2:12 PM
London, England
Halifax
Montreal
London, England
Toronto

The_Architect
Nov 7, 2012, 3:18 PM
The Architect

Where is your avatar from? It's very familiar...

It's The Architect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_(The_Matrix)) from The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I was watching the movie when I made my UT account, so I just went with it here too.

Dmajackson
Nov 7, 2012, 5:02 PM
I split my growing up between Toronto (specifically East York) and Oakville, and go to school in Waterloo.

You should get out and explore! :tup:

There's a lot more to Canada than Southern Ontario. I personally suggest Calgary (if you like long work-days and long weekends), Vancouver (high-quality of life), or Halifax (down easy lifestyle but need to have a good work-ethic to make it).

If you are an architect in real life then any of the three should be easy to move to. I can't speak for Vancouver but Calgary and Halifax are boom towns right now!

(Pst don't tell Calgary Halifax is booming right now ... they'll tattle to the federal government on us)

The_Architect
Nov 7, 2012, 6:39 PM
Oh I know, and I definitely plan to move around once I have a bit more dough to do it. Haven't really had the chance to yet.

GreatTallNorth2
Nov 7, 2012, 6:48 PM
London, Ontario
Bath, England (last 13 months)