PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan considering name change?

Surrealplaces
Sep 23, 2012, 4:44 AM
Apparently there is a committee looking into the feasibility of it.....seriously

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/news/2012/09/19/saskatchewan-politicians-attempt-to-rename-province-to-something-shorter/

Some of the names considered by the committee (who may or may not have been on drugs)

Sasker
Prairie Land
Rider Nation
Golden
Saskacan
Cansask
Flatland
Wheatland
Oatario

Here's a couple of my own suggestions:

Prairiestan
Potashia
WheatNeuf
Citizen Grain
Dust Virginia

My personal favorirte
East Alberta :cool:

vid
Sep 23, 2012, 5:02 AM
What do you expect from a province with an NDP government?

I like how Ontario is on there and then scratched out. :)

Good idea for what to call Saskatchewan people: Saskatchewonks

Boris2k7
Sep 23, 2012, 5:05 AM
Sasquatchewan

Doug
Sep 23, 2012, 5:21 AM
How about hip and Gen Y like Sask@cha1? Probably still too long for the average attention span.

RyeJay
Sep 23, 2012, 5:25 AM
Odd. <---Their new name.

river that calls
Sep 23, 2012, 7:08 AM
On the off chance that any of you think this is actually real, I'm going to point out that This is That is a satirical program.

dsim249
Sep 23, 2012, 7:46 AM
What do you expect from a province with an NDP government?

Also in the off chance you're being serious, NDP hasn't been in power since 2007.

PoscStudent
Sep 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
On the off chance that any of you think this is actually real, I'm going to point out that This is That is a satirical program.

Did you notice how premier is spelled premiere?

armorand93
Sep 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Lets just go Borg on them, and assimilate Saskatchewan to the Manitoba collective.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Nantais
Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
North Montana
West Manitoba
Or what about the South Northwest-Territories ?

SignalHillHiker
Sep 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
If Saskatchewan changes its name, will Is till be able to refer to people from there as Sasquatches?

fenwick16
Sep 23, 2012, 2:16 PM
It is not a bad idea to have an easier name for foreigners to remember if Saskatchewan wants to promote itself as a more international destination.

I think that Saskatoon would be a good name for the entire province. It is an easy name to pronounce, remember and spell (every time I type Saskatchewan, I have to double check the spelling). Having a new provincial name of Saskatoon would have a resemblance to the current name of Saskatchewan.

Coldrsx
Sep 23, 2012, 2:19 PM
Melonville

Acajack
Sep 23, 2012, 3:08 PM
North Montana
West Manitoba
Or what about the South Northwest-Territories ?

The way things are going around there, East Alberta would probably the most
à propos these days.

vid
Sep 23, 2012, 3:55 PM
The way things are going around there, East Alberta would probably the most
à propos these days.

Considering the demographics, it would probably be more appropriate to call Alberta "West Saskatchewan".

Also in the off chance you're being serious, NDP hasn't been in power since 2007.

I was totally making a joke. :P I know that the Saskatchewan Party (which would have to change its name) is in power there.

RyeJay
Sep 23, 2012, 4:59 PM
I was totally making a joke. :P I know that the Saskatchewan Party (which would have to change its name) is in power there.

I don't get it. How would this be inherently NDP related?

Was the basis for the joke your dislike of the NDP?

vid
Sep 23, 2012, 5:17 PM
No, I was mocking how everyone calls NDP governments wasteful when this kind of thing isn't specific to any particular political party.

Whenever I make a joke around people from the prairies is just goes over your heads. Is there something I am missing about your culture?

Surrealplaces
Sep 23, 2012, 6:17 PM

They had Lyle Hansen on the radio yesterday. It actually seemed real....

The_Architect
Sep 23, 2012, 6:49 PM
Saskatoon, just to confuse Americans further.

MrChills
Sep 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Awesome news! Hopefully I will now be able to spell the name of this new province

capitalist
Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 PM
this just proves how useless, terrible, un-trustworthy, and pointless the CBC is.

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 12:10 AM
this just proves how useless, terrible, un-trustworthy, and pointless the CBC is.

Because it has a satire programme?

I... nevermind.

jd3189
Sep 24, 2012, 12:47 AM
I think it has a cool name already. Saskatchewan. But, if it must, I would rename it Macdonald. For those who want to know why, read back into your country's history.

SignalHillHiker
Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
If I had to suggest names, I'd choose:

1. Queensland
2. You're Welcome for the Universal Healthcare
3. Rectangle
4. Krajina

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 12:56 AM
Saskatchewan isn't a rectangle though. It has that serrated bit on the southeast part.

A lot of people don't know this, but Flin Flon is located in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and the Saskatchewan portion is to the south, not the west.

SignalHillHiker
Sep 24, 2012, 1:03 AM
:previous:

I hope you don't think you're getting paid for correcting me so much. I appreciate it but... lol :D

O.K., how about...

3. From Sea to Shining Sea :D

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 1:14 AM
A mari usque ad maria

MTLskyline
Sep 24, 2012, 1:37 AM
I just received this e-mail today...

Rt Hon David Cameron MP ✆ info@lgovt.uk
3:05 AM (18 hours ago)

I am The Rt Hon David Cameron MP,Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury
and Minister for the Civil Service British Government. This letter is to
officially inform you that (ATM Card Number 5454 7168 0041 0640) has been
accredited with your favor. Your Personal Identification Number is 1090.The
VISA Card Value is 2,000,000.00(Two Million, Great British Pounds Sterling).

This office will send to you an Visa Card/ATM CARD that you will use to
withdraw your funds in any ATM MACHINE CENTER or Visa card outlet in the
world with a maximum of ?5000 GBP daily.Further more,You will be required to
re-confirm the following information to enable;The Rt Hon William Hague MP
First Secretary of State for British Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs. begin
in processing of your ATM Card.

(1)Full names: (2)Address: (3)Country: (4)Nationality: (5)Phone #: (6)Age:
(7)Occupation: (8) Post Codes

Rt Hon William Hague MP.
First Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
Email; f.affair@hotellos.nl
Tel: +447035953325

NOTE: You are warned to stop further communications with any
other person(s) or office(s) different from the staff of the
State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs to avoid hitches
in receiving your payment.

Regards,
Rt Hon David Cameron MP
Prime Minister

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 1:47 AM
Did not know that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom was personally responsible for accrediting debit transactions. You learn something new every day.

Acajack
Sep 24, 2012, 2:09 AM

Yes I would much rather have them simply spouting the messaging of the government of the day. That would serve us well.

itom 987
Sep 24, 2012, 3:20 AM
Saskabush

blacktrojan3921
Sep 24, 2012, 3:52 AM
At first I was like D=... Then I was D8... Then we were all XD...

Dmajackson
Sep 24, 2012, 4:07 AM
Why don't we just rename all the provinces? :P

Carbonator
Oil$and
Royal Flatness
"Dude, Where's my Car?"
Not the Centre of Canada
"Parler en francais"
Drive-Thru
Traffic Tickets are headline news
Halifax and surrounding farms
Screech Rock

If you want to go political ...

Not Alberta
Harper's only care
Alberta Jr
Rebellion
Swingers
Third Time's the Charm?
War of the Three Cities
Screwed by Confederation
Left on the Right Coast
ABC easy as 123

Of course these are all just jokes so don't kill me. I'm sure being a Maritimer Harper will do that anyways. :)

isaidso
Sep 24, 2012, 5:29 AM
Saskatoon, just to confuse Americans further.

On the same theme, we could always rename Saskatchewan 'America'. It started off as a continent, then a country decided to use the name, so why not a province too. Kidding aside, I like the name 'Saskatchewan'. Sure beats 'Prince Edward Island. BORING!

matt602
Sep 24, 2012, 6:32 AM
Albertatoba.

isaidso
Sep 24, 2012, 7:23 AM
Southwest Nunavut.

Hardhatdan
Sep 24, 2012, 1:33 PM
Former Communist Republic of Saskatchistan

SignalHillHiker
Sep 24, 2012, 1:53 PM
Why don't we just rename all the provinces? :P

Carbonator
Oil$and
Royal Flatness
"Dude, Where's my Car?"
Not the Centre of Canada
"Parler en francais"
Drive-Thru
Traffic Tickets are headline news
Halifax and surrounding farms
Screech Rock

If you want to go political ...

Not Alberta
Harper's only care
Alberta Jr
Rebellion
Swingers
Third Time's the Charm?
War of the Three Cities
Screwed by Confederation
Left on the Right Coast
ABC easy as 123

Of course these are all just jokes so don't kill me. I'm sure being a Maritimer Harper will do that anyways. :)

Ha! I like those.

My suggestions:

BC: Ethical Marijuana
AB: Newnewfoundland
SK: The Flatlands
MB: Red Sea of Traffic Lights
ON: Canada
QC: Quebec
NB: Land Bridge
PEI: Spudland
NS: Halifax Regional Municipality
NL: Province of Alberta Department of Labour

Bigtime
Sep 24, 2012, 2:10 PM
You can't change the name, it would cripple the Genuine Saskatchewan Sealskin Bindings industry!

Cowtown_Tim
Sep 24, 2012, 2:53 PM
I'm partially to 'East Alberta', but if we're going to go through a name change to make it easier for Americans, then 'Montana North' it is. That said most Americans have no idea where Montana is so how about 'Way the hell north of Texas'

kw5150
Sep 24, 2012, 3:17 PM
Why I refuse to live there.......so boring this is all they can think of for fun.

MolsonExport
Sep 24, 2012, 3:40 PM
Womanitoba

DizzyEdge
Sep 24, 2012, 3:51 PM
You can't change the name, it would cripple the Genuine Saskatchewan Sealskin Bindings industry!

http://circa71.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/mikesuperdaveandfuji.jpg
http://circa71.wordpress.com/tag/super-dave-osborne/

freeweed
Sep 24, 2012, 4:05 PM
I'm partially to 'East Alberta', but if we're going to go through a name change to make it easier for Americans, then 'Montana North' it is. That said most Americans have no idea where Montana is so how about 'Way the hell north of Texas'

Yeah.. not to start up yet another "hyuk, 'murcans sure don't know their geography" thread, but...

Whenever I'm asked where Calgary (or Alberta) is, I used to resort to "we're just north of Montana". After enough blank stares (well over 50% after several hundred people this year alone) - now I tell them NE of Seattle. That seems to click in a bit better.

circle33
Sep 24, 2012, 4:25 PM
Why I refuse to live there.......so boring this is all they can think of for fun.

You refuse to live there (against great pressure I'm sure) because a CBC satire program? Such a man of principles you are.

No boring places, just boring people.

This program, which is basically a radio version of "The Onion" seems to fool people all the time. The livid phone calls that came in in response to the US businessman who wanted to turn Stanley Park into a NASCAR track serves as testament to this.

freeweed
Sep 24, 2012, 4:32 PM
Womanitoba

As the old joke went back when they first proposed changing the name of the "Museum of Man and Nature" (which has long since been changed anyway):

Personitoba.

go_leafs_go02
Sep 24, 2012, 4:52 PM
North North Dakota.

I know, it's more northwest, bust Northwest North Dakota sounds odder

Surrealplaces
Sep 24, 2012, 6:46 PM
Yeah.. not to start up yet another "hyuk, 'murcans sure don't know their geography" thread, but...

Whenever I'm asked where Calgary (or Alberta) is, I used to resort to "we're just north of Montana". After enough blank stares (well over 50% after several hundred people this year alone) - now I tell them NE of Seattle. That seems to click in a bit better.

And if that fails....north of the US sometimes works :haha:

MolsonExport
Sep 24, 2012, 8:06 PM
North North Dakota.

I know, it's more northwest, bust Northwest North Dakota sounds odder

North-by-Northwest Dakota sounds mysterious (a la Alfred Hitchcock)

JHikka
Sep 24, 2012, 8:13 PM
The head of the committee spelt Premier with an e on the end. Clearly he must have difficulties spelling Saskatchewan as well. :P

Surrealplaces
Sep 24, 2012, 9:43 PM
The head of the committee spelt Premier with an e on the end. Clearly he must have difficulties spelling Saskatchewan as well. :P

What would expect from people that have trouble counting to 13 :haha: (thought I'd rub that one in a bit)

wacko
Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
A mari usque ad maria
A mari usque ad mare

I love correcting people from Thunder Bay on their Latin. :D

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
A mari usque ad mare

I love correcting people from Thunder Bay on their Latin. :D

A mari usque ad maria is considered a potential "new" motto for Canada to reflect the growing importance of the Arctic ocean in our economy. It translates to "From sea to seas."

I love correcting people from Saskatchewan on their lack of knowledge of semi-current national affairs. :D

BTW, Winnipeg is nowhere near as bad as Thunder Bay with the traffic lights. This is a Thunder Bay "expressway":

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8174/7952732052_7a99f8b9c6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidioman/7952732052/)

We have one controlled intersection for every 950 people. Winnipeg would have to have nearly 800 controlled intersections to match that. This particular street has four controlled intersections on a two kilometre stretch. The fourth one was just behind me when I took that photo, and that cross street has another three traffic lights over its next 700 meters.

I mean seriously, we stick traffic lights mid-block here!

SignalHillHiker
Sep 24, 2012, 10:51 PM

Geez... can you even call it an expressway then? It's just a regular street?

Blader
Sep 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Since the citizens are often called stubble-jumpers, I'm in favour of renaming the province 'Stubble'.

Hey it was my home province till my mid 20s, so I'm allowed!!

SignalHillHiker
Sep 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
I thought they were called Gappers?

Could we call it The Gap?

vid
Sep 24, 2012, 11:25 PM

Geez... can you even call it an expressway then? It's just a regular street?

It doesn't have any parking lots exiting onto it, so it is more express than the other roads.

It was going to be a freeway, but the government cancelled the project because we didn't vote for them that year.

dsim249
Sep 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
No, I was mocking how everyone calls NDP governments wasteful when this kind of thing isn't specific to any particular political party.

Whenever I make a joke around people from the prairies is just goes over your heads. Is there something I am missing about your culture?

Probably because often your jokes can easily be mistaken for ignorance.

You're probably missing that people don't expect someone from Ontario to know anything about Saskatchewan politics, and vice versa, of course. So people can easily be caught off guard.

In this case, I think Ryejay just really likes the NDP. haha.

vid
Sep 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
Probably because often your jokes can easily be mistaken for ignorance.

You're probably missing that people don't expect someone from Ontario to know anything about Saskatchewan politics, and vice versa, of course. So people can easily be caught off guard.

In this case, I think Ryejay just really likes the NDP. haha.

A reasoned and logical response! :hug:

Thank you, kind sir.

Canadian Mind
Sep 25, 2012, 3:24 AM
Why not go with one of the old district names before the Alberta Act drew the current provincial boundaries in 1905?

dennis
Sep 25, 2012, 10:34 PM

spelt
noun
a wheat, Triticum aestivum spelta, native to southern Europe and western Asia, used chiefly for livestock feed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

ciudad_del_norte
Sep 26, 2012, 2:42 AM
Why not go with one of the old district names before the Alberta Act drew the current provincial boundaries in 1905?

I've actually thought before that I wish what is now Alberta had taken the name 'Athabasca' instead, it is way more fun to say
Saskatchewan is a fun one... although it never really occurred to me that it was hard to say/or spell until I realized some of the creative ways people say it.

Just call it all it 'Province of Regina'. That's a name that tends to perk a lot of people up if they don't know what you are talking about. :)

Acajack
Sep 26, 2012, 9:42 AM
spelt
noun
a wheat, Triticum aestivum spelta, native to southern Europe and western Asia, used chiefly for livestock feed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Please tell us you are joking about not knowing that spelt is British English for spelled and is perfectly correct English.

dennis
Sep 26, 2012, 6:04 PM
I was. I forgot to place the emoticon. Sorry. The same link defines the verb.

Xelebes
Sep 26, 2012, 7:37 PM
Please tell us you are joking about not knowing that spelt is British English for spelled and is perfectly correct English.

I quaft the idiocy and not only was I burnt, but I also learnt the depravity, for which is the only way I could have dempt the quality, of the thoughtlessness.