PDA

View Full Version : Taxis for Public Transportation? Houstons New Idea!

Double L
Jun 11, 2012, 1:26 AM
2NL-kYK3gYI

Rizzo
Jun 11, 2012, 3:35 AM
Okay, despite that this video is absolutely silly, I'm going to attempt to take it seriously.

$6 is not a good deal....it's average. In fact in cities with the lowest rates where cabs are the most frequent...like Chicago and NYC you're going to pay something around $2 to $2.50 per mile traveled respectively.

But $6 is only reasonable (in comparison to other cities) when you take the two most remote points of downtown Houston which is about 3 miles apart.

I'm sorry but I don't see low income folks rushing to take cabs here in Chicago, despite that we have the lowest rates in the country and you can get anywhere in most large American downtowns for less than $6. Meanwhile a bus costs around what....$2 + .25 cent transfer to go anywhere you want?

Furthermore, most US transit authorities offer vanpools and call and rides that are practically identical and affordable.

I would consider removing the video and providing credible links and sources which are in-line with the posting policies on this website.

Roadcruiser1
Jun 11, 2012, 3:44 AM
If Houston is serious about improving and expanding mass transit then they should look into bus rapid transit, expanding current light rail service, and build new light rail lines. They should not be looking into a taxi as a solution. Also I suggest that they look into commuter rail and more commuter rail lines for the people in the suburbs to bring them off cars.

TechTalkGuy
Jun 11, 2012, 5:10 AM
When I saw the video, I thought -- huh?
NYC has taxis everywhere!
This is not unique in any way whatsoever.

Double L
Jun 11, 2012, 6:59 AM
What it is is that it is a six dollar flat rate to take the taxis anywhere downtown so it is a public transit option which allows for much more freedom for anybody traversing downtown on foot. http://www.houstontx.gov/downtowncab/

Tyler Xyroadia
Jun 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
If Houston is serious about improving and expanding mass transit then they should look into bus rapid transit, expanding current light rail service, and build new light rail lines. They should not be looking into a taxi as a solution. Also I suggest that they look into commuter rail and more commuter rail lines for the people in the suburbs to bring them off cars.

BAH!

Don't you know anything, THAT would involve [hushed tones] Spending Money! This is TEXAS we are talking about! When you have slashed money for schools, public works programs, education, utilities... How could you possibly think they would do something as unthinkable as SPEND to make their city better?

miketoronto
Jun 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Using Taxis for transit is nothing new, and Canada, and specifically Quebec is the leader in Transcab(Taxibus) service.

Usually Taxibus routes are used in lower density low demand areas, to connect riders with regular route bus service.

McBane
Jun 11, 2012, 1:53 PM
Shared taxis are very common in Israel.

These are minivans that gather at high density areas (can be the main bus station of a small city), gather passengers, and depart when full. Passengers are then dropped off at their desired stop. Cost is in between the price of a taxi and a bus. I believe passengers can be picked up along the way (as passengers start to depart).

For certain trips, it's a great way to get around. When traveling from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, the shared taxi is only a bit more expensive than a bus.

Private Dick
Jun 11, 2012, 1:55 PM
So you have to walk to a particular "station" to hail a cab? Convenient.

Rizzo
Jun 12, 2012, 2:38 AM
What it is is that it is a six dollar flat rate to take the taxis anywhere downtown so it is a public transit option which allows for much more freedom for anybody traversing downtown on foot. http://www.houstontx.gov/downtowncab/

You're missing the point....$6 is expensive for low income folks. A millionaire pays the same fare as a 85 year old disabled woman living off social security checks. Just a go a few blocks for that price is outrageous. There's similar solutions. They cost less.

I hope you realize I can travel 50 miles on a train and back for $7. For me that's a weekend trip. According to that website, it's getting one way to a place for lunch. I'm sure low income folks do that right? Take a one-way cab a few blocks downtown for the nearly the same price as their lunch?

bobdreamz
Jun 12, 2012, 6:11 AM
How big is downtown Houston that you can't traverse it by foot? Also the guy in the video says it doesn't cost taxpayers anything but the city must somehow subzide this. Why would private taxis agree to a $6 flat rate if they weren't being subzided?

J. Will
Jun 13, 2012, 6:29 AM
30 locations from which you can hail a cab?

Why do some cities do this crap? You should be able to hail a cab from anywhere. I can walk 75 seconds from my apartment to Bloor Street, and there is a steady stream of cabs 24/7/365 to hail. I've never understood this idea of cities having dedicated taxi stands being the only places you can catch a cab (unless you call for one).

This whole idea sounds like a lame excuse for Houston to continue to have piss-poor transit. Build a proper transit system that doesn't cost $6 per use. Don't come up with excuses not to.

Nouvellecosse
Jun 13, 2012, 8:03 AM
How big is downtown Houston that you can't traverse it by foot? Also the guy in the video says it doesn't cost taxpayers anything but the city must somehow subzide this. Why would private taxis agree to a $6 flat rate if they weren't being subzided?
Doesn't make sense...