PDA

View Full Version : How to Behave on Public Transportation

fflint
May 15, 2012, 8:50 PM
Rules to live by no matter where you live!

How to Behave on Public Transportation (http://sfist.com/2012/05/14/sf-muni-bart-etiquette-rules.php)

Jay Barmann
SFist.com (http://sfist.com/2012/05/14/sf-muni-bart-etiquette-rules.php)
May 14, 2012

http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Jay/muni-etiquette-sf.jpg

To kick off National Etiquette Week here at SFist, we're going to tackle a topic which we're sure is close to many of your hearts: The unspoken rules for entering, exiting, and riding Muni and BART, which many a visitor and newly arrived citizen of our fair city do not always understand.

* Stay to the Right on Escalators and Stairs

* Step In To the Middle of the Car or the Back of the Bus at Rush Hour

* Step Out of the Door Briefly If You Are Blocking It at Rush Hour

* Always Offer Your Seat to a Lady Of a Certain Age or Elderly Gentleman

* Do Not Audibly Groan or Otherwise Protest When the Bus Stops for a Disabled or Wheelchair-Bound Person

* Take Off Your Damn Backpack Or Enormous Purse

* Singing Is Never Allowed

ChiSoxRox
May 15, 2012, 9:25 PM
One of my pet peeves: the people who need to be continually talking to anyone who will listen. There's quite a few here on the buses in Iowa City, and it's uncomfortable for everyone except the talker.

pip
May 16, 2012, 1:36 AM
* Shut the cell up

MonkeyRonin
May 16, 2012, 1:40 AM
* Take Off Your Damn Backpack Or Enormous Purse

And don't sprawl it over the next two seats beside you (when busy of course).

http://i.imgur.com/hafxV.jpg

Chicago3rd
May 16, 2012, 1:54 AM
DON'T wait until the Bus or Train stops at your stop to get off the seat and start heading towards the exit. Head towards the door the stop before you are suppose to get off.

Reiterating....if your butt is parked at the door you may have to get off to let people off then re-board when they are done. If you don't then I will push through full force....no excuse if you are texting or have ear phones on.

Have your PASS and or money ready...don't wait until you get to the gates or to the bus driver to pull out. I will call you a moron.

Reiterating...take back packs and big purses off and carry in front of you when walking through a train or bus...I will push ALL backpacks and purses that hit me back with full force. I have a sack I move to the front of me in the bus...or train (normally is on my side when walking). Backpacks can sit at your feet or in your lap. I have met no one who is good at making sure they don't hit others with their backpacks when in tight situations.

Two seats available one empty and one holding a back pack...I go for the backpack one...you self centered country bum.

I'm a nice guy...but if you are self centered and can't be civilized when in a city then stay in the burbs...move back.

vid
May 16, 2012, 2:00 AM
"* Take Off Your Damn Backpack Or Enormous Purse"

And put it where?

min-chi-cbus
May 16, 2012, 2:21 AM
DON'T wait until the Bus or Train stops at your stop to get off the seat and start heading towards the exit. Head towards the door the stop before you are suppose to get off.

Reiterating....if your butt is parked at the door you may have to get off to let people off then re-board when they are done. If you don't then I will push through full force....no excuse if you are texting or have ear phones on.

Have your PASS and or money ready...don't wait until you get to the gates or to the bus driver to pull out. I will call you a moron.

Reiterating...take back packs and big purses off and carry in front of you when walking through a train or bus...I will push ALL backpacks and purses that hit me back with full force. I have a sack I move to the front of me in the bus...or train (normally is on my side when walking). Backpacks can sit at your feet or in your lap. I have met no one who is good at making sure they don't hit others with their backpacks when in tight situations.

Two seats available one empty and one holding a back pack...I go for the backpack one...you self centered country bum.

I'm a nice guy...but if you are self centered and can't be civilized when in a city then stay in the burbs...move back.

I don't find that the suburban folks are the rude ones....here in Cleveland, the only people I see taking up the outside seat (train with an aisle separating 2 two-seat sections, like a plane) are older folks who CLEARLY arer used to taking the train (usually black folks here in Cleveland). I get the impression that these people feel that they are entitled because [fill in the blank excuse] and even though they know it's rude not to move over and it's the rules, they are openly against the system. I don't get that attitude, but maybe it's because I'm not old and crotchety.

Also, and this may be just locally here again, but people start lining up to get out of the train at the last stop downtown WELL before the train stops, so by the time it actually does stop there is a line half the train long that is blocking me from getting out of my seat. Then when I get up to (presumably) be let into this line nobody willingly lets me in -- I have to cut someone off. Yet in almost every other scenario in society, anytime there is a merge or something like this the rule is almost uniformly the "zipper effect". -- or one person goes in at a time, but never two and never 0 -- but not on a train I guess.

Jonboy1983
May 16, 2012, 2:36 AM

And put it where?

in my lap or on the floor at my feet has always worked for me. That's what I did with my briefcase when I worked for the City of Philly and took the R5/Paoli-Thorndale train each day...

How about the asshole who has to take up more than one seat (i.e. using a 2-or-3-seat bench as his/her own personal sofa or loungechair to sleep.) Sit upright like the rest of us. If you want to rest your head, then try to get a window seat. That big backpack? Yeah, here's another option. Use it as a makeshift pillow and put it against the window to rest your head. Yeah, did that, too.

Oh, and another pet peeve...

My wife and I were in Pittsburgh one time about to ride the Mon Incline from Station Square to Mt. Washington. We were about to get in the front to get the best view of the city, and some pain-in-the-ass bitch cut right in front of us with her brat kids! I didn't get a chance to react. If that were to happen now, she'd get an earful from me!!

brickell
May 16, 2012, 2:48 AM
transit snobs with all your rules.

Here's the only rule you need. Be respectful to your surroundings and fellow passengers. Apparently that doesn't occur to most people so you have to spell it out for them, but some of you city folk act like your late for your own wedding. Get over it already.

I actually don't mind the occasional singer or rapper or otherwise self styled performer on the train. Some of them are quite good.

Swede
May 16, 2012, 4:28 AM
So much win in this thread. Love the TTCC poster.

I've been thinking of making a series of short films on this topic, to be run on screens in the subway, at the central station and at schools from elementary to university.

fflint
May 16, 2012, 5:08 AM

And put it where?
Hold it down in front of your legs when standing in a jam-packed train or bus. There's lots of room down there, but no room at shoulder level when everyone is cheek to jowl.

Chef
May 16, 2012, 5:47 AM
I think people should have fewer pet peeves when riding transit. The only thing that bothers me is when people talk at strangers who obviously don't want to talk to them, and loud conversations by supid/crazy people in general. And the 50 year old guy hitting on the 20 year old girl and not giving up after 10 minutes? You don't have a chance, she is mortified, and the rest of us wish you would shut up so we don't have to listen to this crap.

LMich
May 16, 2012, 7:01 AM
It goes for more than on transit -- but especially on transit -- don't yell into your cellphone, and cool it on gratuitous profanity. If you havin' girl problems I feel bad for you son...

pdxtex
May 16, 2012, 7:14 AM
holy ffudge, dont get me started. come to portland, oregon, home of the most retarded transit riders in the country....

don't bring your uncaged large pet on to the bus or train. happens all the time.

don't start fights on the train with your rival high school gang. happens all the time.

bus fare is not negotiable, don't expect a free ride dumbass!!

dont put your clearly dirty feet up on the seat in front of you.

dont get on board with a lit cigarette, take a puff then chuck it out on the platform.

don't smoke a joint 5 minutes before you get on the train shaggy, and then sit behind me.

oh and my recent favorite, hey occunut, please do not openly sharpen your fffking MACHETE on the rush hour commute home......this really happened....

fflint
May 16, 2012, 7:26 AM
transit snobs with all your rules.

Here's the only rule you need. Be respectful to your surroundings and fellow passengers. Apparently that doesn't occur to most people so you have to spell it out for them, but some of you city folk act like your late for your own wedding. Get over it already.

When so many people are packed like sardines into small, stuffy spaces, and everyone is literally touching and being touched by strangers, and everyone is in everyone else's way, things can get way out of hand without some basic rules of behavior.

This is Muni at rush hour
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2177/2323378668_530e62cc43_o.jpg

And this is BART at rush hour
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6208/6047806155_65dfe964fb_z.jpg

By the way, the man's backpack is all up on somebody. Lame. Some basic rules can help facilitate movement and minimize conflict, and most people on both systems follow most the rules SFist listed. These people aren't "transit snobs." What a weird thing to say.

I actually don't mind the occasional singer or rapper or otherwise self styled performer on the train. Some of them are quite good.
"One stop, I'm just playin' one stop!"

min-chi-cbus
May 16, 2012, 1:23 PM
When so many people are packed like sardines into small, stuffy spaces, and everyone is literally touching and being touched by strangers, and everyone is in everyone else's way, things can get way out of hand without some basic rules of behavior.

This is Muni at rush hour

And this is BART at rush hour

By the way, the man's backpack is all up on somebody. Lame. Some basic rules can help facilitate movement and minimize conflict, and most people on both systems follow most the rules SFist listed. These people aren't "transit snobs." What a weird thing to say.

"One stop, I'm just playin' one stop!"

Look at the expression of that man in the 1st picture glaring at the guy trying to get on the train! You can clearly see it in his eyes: "you don't seriously think you're getting on this train, do you?....I WILL fight you!" I love (not really though) that expression, because it tells me that once the guy gets on the train then he makes it his business who else gets on or doesn't -- even though it's not his business.

Obviously, I don't really know what's happening in that picture, but I've seen that look before in many other circumstances besides getting on a packed train!

brickell
May 16, 2012, 2:13 PM
Some basic rules can help facilitate movement and minimize conflict, and most people on both systems follow most the rules SFist listed. These people aren't "transit snobs." What a weird thing to say.

No, I agree. And it helps to put these things out in public so the occasional rider or tourist now what's going on. But I was more responding to Chicago3rd, and types like him that I've met before. They seem to think that they have every right to run somebody over just because they're not following some "unwritten rule" that everyone is supposed to know. Yes it can be annoying, but most people I find are just trying to get home, to work, to the ballgame etc with the least hassle possible. You don't have to be rude to them.

Parkway
May 16, 2012, 3:55 PM
Here's one I haven't seen yet,

No one wants to listen to your shitty music off your shitty cell phone speakers. What ever happpened to headphones?

M II A II R II K
May 16, 2012, 3:59 PM
On British Commuter rail lines they also ban cell phones ringing and even talking on them for a quiet ride.

Steely Dan
May 16, 2012, 4:07 PM
* Shut the cell up

amen.

i don't mind the quick cell call like "hey, i'm running 15 miutes late, but i'll be to the meeting as quick as i can", but the morons (usually women) who just yak on and on and on about stupid-ass mundane shit at way too loud a volume should be rounded up and summarily shot in the head.

do these idiots ever have a single fucking thought of their own that they don't utter out loud?

TarHeelJ
May 16, 2012, 4:28 PM
The use of some basic common sense should cover all of these rules, although a good-sized portion of the population doesn't have much to drawn on.

Standpoor
May 16, 2012, 5:34 PM
It is all just common sense that isn't very common. My faves.

1. You know there are people behind you, I've seen you look at me, why stop two inches inside the door.

2. My favorite cell phone conversations follow this format:
"Hello"
"What"
"No, what"
"I can't hear you I am on the train"
No kidding, why did you pick up in the first place.

3. If you are crazy but entertaining I do not mind. Scary crazy, pan handling, and preaching that is annoying. One of the classics that I have heard was from a woman who for awhile berated the entire car about our sexual activities but then right when I was about to get off stated this classic with no segue, "I did not know what pizza was, how was I supposed to know. I just thought it was bread with some mayonnaise."

From HBO Veep, "I've met some people, real people, and I've got to tell you, a lot of them are f****** idiots.

photoLith
May 16, 2012, 5:36 PM
I always hate it when some ghetto person gets on the light rail and is listening to some crappy rap song and feels the need to loudly rap the lyrics thinking he is the only person alive on the planet. I see this at least twice a week riding the light rail here and its really annoying; I just dont see how anyone could be so inconsiderate like that. I also hate it when someone is talking their girlfriend or boyfriend on the cell phone and gets into a heated argument with them right in front of you, yelling and screaming. Nobody wants to hear your dramma. Many people are just blind to basic human decency when in public.

About a year ago I was sitting at one of the light rail stops on Main Street and a hobo was next to me, he proceeds to get up, pulls his schlong out and take a leak right on the seat he was just sitting on and then sits right back down again.

Jonboy1983
May 16, 2012, 8:28 PM
amen.

i don't mind the quick cell call like "hey, i'm running 15 miutes late, but i'll be to the meeting as quick as i can", but the morons (usually women) who just yak on and on and on about stupid-ass mundane shit at way too loud a volume should be rounded up and summarily shot in the head.

do these idiots ever have a single fucking thought of their own that they don't utter out loud?

"Can u pick me up? Can-can u pick me up? Can you pick me up?"

Too bad Stewie Griffin is fictional...

tech12
May 16, 2012, 9:34 PM
One thing I hate is when people sit on the outside seat and then expect you to slide by them in the 3 inch space between their legs and the seat in front of them. If there's an empty window seat next to you, and someone wants to sit, don't make them scrape your ass into your face and/or fall on someone else as the bus moves, just because you're too fucking lazy/selfish to give up your edge seat. Same deal if I'm in a window seat and want to get off. Just get out of your damn seat, so i don't have to rub my ass/nuts into your face as i exit.

Unless that's what you want, of course. But it's still kind of weird and inconvenient for me.

I like sitting on the edge seat myself because I'm tall and fit better on the edge, but if someone wants to sit/exit, i'll still move over into the empty window seat and let them have the edge, or I'll get up and stand in the aisle for a second while they exit, instead of making them climb over me. I've noticed that the worse offenders for this seem to be old chinese ladies. They seem to pile up the offenses on MUNI in fact, such as when they go into total-war/bulldozer mode while entering/exiting the bus in chinatown. The NFL should start drafting little old chinese ladies from MUNI.

amen.

I once was on the bus with a woman who was LOUDLY talking on the phone about her and her friend's previous night's sexual escapades, on a very crowded bus.

"WAS IT PENETRATION? WAS IT PEN-E-TRATION?? GIRL THEN THAT MEANS YOU HAD SEX"
"OHHH DAMN I GOT THE SEXIEST LINGERIE I SHOWED MY MAN LAST NIGHT HE LOVED IT"

etc. The best part was the very uncomfortable looking mother with a little kid who was sitting right next to the phone lady.

I also once witnessed a dude going through a very whiny, pathetic, drawn-out, phone break-up, on a crowded bus, complete with him calling her back multiple times in a row to whine some more.

But I don't mind all the time if people talk loudly on the bus. Where else are you going to hear discussions about Rambo and the totally awesome fact that he has a med kit in his thermos? Other noise can be cool too, like the one time there was a guy on the bus who looked kind of like Jimi Hendrix, who was dressed up like Jimi Hendrix, and who was playing Jimi Hendrix songs on an electric guitar that was hooked up to a mini-amp in his backpack.

Policy Wonk
May 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Here is one from a few weeks ago... please take your urine filled starbucks frappuccino cup with you when you leave the c-train.

downtownpdx
May 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
... and wait for people to get the hell off the train/bus before you start piling in!!! (don't know if that was brought up, but that's one big pet peeve)

Cirrus
May 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
Earbuds do not mean you can turn your music up to max. I can still hear it. Keep that shit low.

How do folks feel about women applying makeup?

pdxtex
May 17, 2012, 12:09 AM
Earbuds do not mean you can turn your music up to max. I can still hear it. Keep that shit low.

How do folks feel about women applying makeup?

^^i could care less. but don't cut your damn nails and chuck them on the floor. gnarly....i've seen that alot....id hate to see some bus drivers' blog, im sure those get really bad....

mhays
May 17, 2012, 12:54 AM

Yes, the most common annoyance.

Chicago3rd
May 17, 2012, 1:05 AM
No, I agree. And it helps to put these things out in public so the occasional rider or tourist now what's going on. But I was more responding to Chicago3rd, and types like him that I've met before. They seem to think that they have every right to run somebody over just because they're not following some "unwritten rule" that everyone is supposed to know. Yes it can be annoying, but most people I find are just trying to get home, to work, to the ballgame etc with the least hassle possible. You don't have to be rude to them.
Dude it is tongue and cheek for the most part.

Rude...we are talking about rude people on transportation...look at all the points that have been made by countless folks on here....and my issue with rude people on mass transportation is that they often makes all those around them on the train/bus miserable....because they come from their little bubble world and refuse to adjust to culture in an urban environment....something those of us who live in a true urban dense environment thrive on (my stay in Houston....is a vacation....lol).

Each one of the issues I brought up causes delays and can effect countless people. Holding the door on the train open...nice to one person...but you just wasted time of close to 1,000 people on the train. Seconds add up.

Cities from a pedestrian's point of view including mass transit are filled with tons of timing....be it smooth or not. That is what I love....the RHYTHM of a city which for the most part on most days works. Missed bus 145 then in a blink of an eye I can ride the next 147 and backtrack on the redline...so many options..all depending on schedules and connections. Again it is this rhythm I love.

Most of my tongue and cheek is in response to the bubble people. Someone pushes their back pack into me then I will say "sir...please watch your back pack...you are hitting other people with it." Pointing at a seat with a backpack on it "ma'am, which seat do you want to sit on?" The same goes for the rest of it.....:D Every one who breaks a rule gets one notice.

Chicago3rd
May 17, 2012, 1:12 AM
About space for backpacks...there were times on the Muni Underground that it got so tight from the Castro to downtown that people had to be pulled in and we had to hold our bags up over us...wall to wall tight....faint...you would just remain standing.

One time on the commute to work we stood stuck between stations right after Van Ness and before Civic Center in one of the old un-airconditioned orange Boeings and we heard someone say..."don't touch me" and we all just started laughing.

zilfondel
May 17, 2012, 1:51 AM

And put it where?

In your lap.

Sometimes when I get on the bus in Portland, half the seats are occupied by purses, backpacks and messenger bags. And people won't move them until you sit on 'em.

Which is usually quite funny when they realize you are sitting NO MATTER WHAT. :whip:

zilfondel
May 17, 2012, 1:57 AM

nope! :tup:

... and wait for people to get the hell off the train/bus before you start piling in!!! (don't know if that was brought up, but that's one big pet peeve)

Thats when I go into bulldozing mode. Commuters downtown @5pm are terrible about rushing the train doors when they open to get in. Its more fun when you have a bike getting off, as they really get out of your way. :P

pyropius
May 17, 2012, 1:58 AM
When you're in a tight space and can't move, strong scents of any kind can be discomforting. This includes both obviously offensive smells and smells that might be nice in another setting, such as hand lotion or take-out. Please don't apply scent or eat take-out on the train.

pip
May 17, 2012, 2:49 AM

I totally understand. Next time I rent a car travelling in another city I am putting that thing in Park at a Green Light to figure out which way I want to go. I'm sure especially during rush hour everyone will understand and not honk, yell, speed around me pissed off or glare!

HowardL
May 17, 2012, 3:01 AM
The most civilized Metro riding populace that I have ever experienced in my life was in São Paulo. The system is massively (over)crowded and constantly (ultra)busy but I don't once recall encountering the typical North American pushiness or European shoviness. To ride that system day after day after day, you forget the crass, selfish, ghetto element that stinks up systems in the rest of the world.

pdxtex
May 17, 2012, 5:50 AM
at least with comparatively low ridership when compared to japan, american systems generally do not have a groping problem!! so i guess it could be worse...

hauntedheadnc
May 17, 2012, 7:54 AM
A tip from an incident that occurred here earlier this year:

--It is considered rude to attempt to hail a bus if you are covered in the blood of the three people you just stabbed to death. It is considered even ruder to block the path of the bus, pounding on the windows and demanding to be let in, long enough for a crowd from the bar where you just murdered those three people to catch up to you and beat you to death. When you do this, you just make everyone on the bus late. If you must murder people in a bar, arrange to have a taxi waiting outside and just leave the transit system out of it altogether.

min-chi-cbus
May 17, 2012, 1:21 PM

--It is considered rude to attempt to hail a bus if you are covered in the blood of the three people you just stabbed to death. It is considered even ruder to block the path of the bus, pounding on the windows and demanding to be let in, long enough for a crowd from the bar where you just murdered those three people to catch up to you and beat you to death. When you do this, you just make everyone on the bus late. If you must murder people in a bar, arrange to have a taxi waiting outside and just leave the transit system out of it altogether.

If I had a NICKLE....

Yesterday on the bus here a group of teens (each way) got on and you could hear their conversation from (presumably) the next block! These kids don't shut up and all they really say is "n*gga this" or "fuck that" half the time -- and then will outwardly make fun of other people on the bus and laugh at them (not at me.....in case it came off that way). Also on the SAME bus, there were two guys next to me talking about getting out of jail and how they were upset that they couldn't carry firearms anymore, then proceeded to talk about which firearms they had or loved the most -- continually in disbelief that the Man was taking "their rights" away from them while on probation. I was in utter disbelief!!

Misterfreeman87
May 17, 2012, 3:07 PM
I love the public transport system in Tokyo, people actually follow the rules brought up int his thread.

brickell
May 17, 2012, 5:59 PM
The same goes for the rest of it.....:D Every one who breaks a rule gets one notice.

Ok, Ok. I'll lighten up. I'll admit that I don't have to deal with this stuff too often. A busy train or bus does happen on occasion, but it's nothing like major transit cities. I have been on those systems too and I can sympathize. But I've met and seen some douche bags in real life that... maybe transit snob isn't the right word for them, but they definitely need to relax. But I'm a far from a Type A personality anyway. Running down escalators to catch the next train just isn't my style.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it. Besides the obvious (urinating on the bus) I think my biggest pet peeve is the smells. Strong perfume and cologne smells give me headaches and that cigarette smell just lingers on some people. The other issue I have is teenagers and hoodlums who claim whole sections of cars so they can hang out, wrestle or just intimidate people.

fflint
May 17, 2012, 9:10 PM

I can beat that!

It is rude to sit down and pass out on the shoulder of another passenger, especially when you are covered in blood and the train isn't allowed to leave the station until the police find you. You don't escape justice, and you just end up staining some poor schmuck's nice work shirt with your blood.

Yes, that really happened to me on BART in downtown Oakland. No idea what the guy did or whose blood that was on my shirt.

ChiSoxRox
May 17, 2012, 9:31 PM
I love the public transport system in Tokyo, people actually follow the rules brought up int his thread.

With a subway system that has stations rivaling the entire New York Subway system in ridership, I'd imagine Tokyoites have to be courteous and efficient or else the whole system would just be hopelessly clogged.

vid
May 17, 2012, 10:41 PM

Tokyo is the city where the problem of businessmen molesting girls on subways has gotten so bad, that there are now female-only trains.

tech12
May 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Since we're including the extremely obvious (don't bleed on people, etc), I'll add another few rules:

1. Don't kick people in the seat in front of you in the back of the legs.
2. Don't beat an old man because he told you not to kick him in the back of the legs.
3. Don't yell at the old man for bleeding on your bag, after some punk just smashed his face in.

Witnessed on the 14, in the Mission District in SF.

Jonboy1983
May 18, 2012, 2:46 AM
:previous: Sounds like something that would happen just about anywhere on SEPTA within the Philadelphia border...

Actually, someone was mugged and shot in a subway station. I can't remember if it was on the Broad Street line or the Market-Frankford line...

It seems to me that just about half of the violent crimes committed in Philadelphia stem from stupid shit. Last month some guy was shot because his neighbor didn't want his dog pissing on his yard!

Shawn
May 18, 2012, 3:25 AM
With a subway system that has stations rivaling the entire New York Subway system in ridership, I'd imagine Tokyoites have to be courteous and efficient or else the whole system would just be hopelessly clogged.

A single line - the Yamanote - sees more riders per day than the entire NYC subway system combined. Upwards of 20 million rides per day here, it's staggering.

People generally follow the rules, but after a certain time at night, everything starts deteriorating as all the drunk salarymen stumble home.

You can legally drink alcohol on transit in Japan. Most people don't abuse this, but it only takes a few memorable exceptions to ruin it for everyone. It's not uncommon to see middle aged men throwing up on the train and subway platforms. And then you have the whole groper/chikan situation.

J. Will
May 18, 2012, 5:19 AM
don't bring your uncaged large pet on to the bus or train. happens all the time.

I see people with dogs on the subway all the time. What's the problem with that? If you are your dog want to go somewhere are you expected to take a taxi every time? That'd be mighty expensive.

Misterfreeman87
May 18, 2012, 6:34 AM
Tokyo is the city where the problem of businessmen molesting girls on subways has gotten so bad, that there are now female-only trains.

True, have never witnessed it myself though, so I cant judge that.

tech12
May 18, 2012, 8:57 AM
:previous: Sounds like something that would happen just about anywhere on SEPTA within the Philadelphia border...

Actually, someone was mugged and shot in a subway station. I can't remember if it was on the Broad Street line or the Market-Frankford line...

I've read about armed robberies, stabbings and shootings on MUNI too. Though just judging by Philly's violent crime rate vs. SF's, I'd guess it probably happens more often in Philly.

Don B.
May 19, 2012, 8:01 AM
Or you can just drive and avoid all of the crankiness evident in this thread. I can have the wind in my face in my convertible, with my music cranked as loud as I want it. :)

--don

Standpoor
May 19, 2012, 3:48 PM
Or you can just drive and avoid all of the crankiness evident in this thread. I can have the wind in my face in my convertible, with my music cranked as loud as I want it. :)

--don

But then we would have a thread about all the things people do that make driving bad. Cutting people off, driving slow in the fast lane, no turn signal, failure to yield, failure to leave a note when hitting a car in a parking lot, car keying, smashed windows, getting mugged in a dark parking lot, getting pulled over for your music being too loud, etc. People are just as cranky on the road.

relnahe
May 19, 2012, 4:53 PM

I ride SEPTA all the time and have never had anything happen to me. Of course the typical stuff like whats been documented on here but nothing too crazy. I've experienced more threatening situations taking the RTS buses in Rochester or the #5 train through the Bronx. I understand Downington is probably a dull place but that is a bit of hyperbole in your statement.

It seems to me that just about half of the violent crimes committed in Philadelphia stem from stupid shit. Last month some guy was shot because his neighbor didn't want his dog pissing on his yard!

What does this have to do with public tranist?

mhays
May 19, 2012, 5:44 PM

--don

Don't get me started on loud car stereos. Particularly with a convertible...how is that not incredibly rude.

Columbusite
May 19, 2012, 10:57 PM

Stupid people talk so much, yet have so little to say.

pdxtex
May 20, 2012, 2:53 AM
I see people with dogs on the subway all the time. What's the problem with that? If you are your dog want to go somewhere are you expected to take a taxi every time? That'd be mighty expensive.

im talking BIG dogs, not little chihuahas and dumb accessory pets. portland has quite the gutter punk problem in the summer months and those kids like to bring their huge and equally mangy half breed dog on to the train. sorry man, not into it.....

J. Will
May 20, 2012, 2:59 AM
im talking BIG dogs, not little chihuahas and dumb accessory pets. portland has quite the gutter punk problem in the summer months and those kids like to bring their huge and equally mangy half breed dog on to the train. sorry man, not into it.....

Yes, I'm talking about big dogs too. And you never answered my question. How is someone and their big dog supposed to get across town if they don't own a car (if they owned a car they would probably be taking it)?

I see big dogs on the subway all the time. I don't see the problem. They're used to lots of people, so they just sit there and behave.

pdxtex
May 20, 2012, 3:51 AM
Yes, I'm talking about big dogs too. And you never answered my question. How is someone and their big dog supposed to get across town if they don't own a car (if they owned a car they would probably be taking it)?

I see big dogs on the subway all the time. I don't see the problem. They're used to lots of people, so they just sit there and behave.

well i guess that where we differ in opinion then. i see large dogs on transit the same way i see them in restaurants or bars, not appropriate. official policy for our transit agency is pets are to be transported in a carrier unless its a service animal. im not saying they are necessarily ill behaved but they are large pets none the less. so yeah, if you must travel across town with your large pet, be it well behaved dog, chicken or show pony, yeah id rather you take a cab. where do you live that large dogs on the subway isn't considered a big deal? last i checked most transit agencies feel the same way. and im not some pet hater, i love dogs but im not taking our big rottie on the train and im sure my neighbors would appreciate it....

J. Will
May 20, 2012, 4:40 AM
well i guess that where we differ in opinion then. i see large dogs on transit the same way i see them in restaurants or bars, not appropriate. official policy for our transit agency is pets are to be transported in a carrier unless its a service animal. im not saying they are necessarily ill behaved but they are large pets none the less. so yeah, if you must travel across town with your large pet, be it well behaved dog, chicken or show pony, yeah id rather you take a cab. where do you live that large dogs on the subway isn't considered a big deal? last i checked most transit agencies feel the same way. and im not some pet hater, i love dogs but im not taking our big rottie on the train and im sure my neighbors would appreciate it....

So if there's a park 15 miles away on the other side of town, you and your dog should take a cab there AND back every time you want to go there? That would probably be $70-$80 round-trip. That's absurd. What if you like to go there every Saturday afternoon? And do taxis even allow large dogs that might shed all over their backseat?

so yeah, if you must travel across town with your large pet, be it well behaved dog, chicken or show pony, yeah id rather you take a cab.

Why? If the pet is well-behaved how is it any different from a well-behaved person? From my experience most dogs on the subway are more well-behaved than the people on the subway.

And if Portland transit doesn't allow large dogs, how do they suggest you and your pet get around town if you don't have a car? Taxis are prohibitively expensive, especially if you are going to be using them regularly and for long distances.

I've actually never even heard of a transit agency anywhere in the country that doesn't allow leashed pets. The very idea seems silly to me:

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Frequently_Asked_Questions/Service_Information.jsp

Can I bring my dog, my pets, on the TTC?

Leashed pets or pets secured in an enclosed container are welcome to travel on the TTC during weekday off-peak periods - that is before 6:30 am; 10:00 am to 3:30 pm; after 7:00 pm. A Service Animal may accompany a passenger at any time. See the TTC By-law, Section 3, for full details.

Like I said, I see large dogs on the TTC all the time, and not once has it been an issue. I've never seen them bite someone or even bark. They just sit there well-behaved and other passengers often pet them.

pdxtex
May 20, 2012, 6:12 AM
well in the litigious happy united states, big pets on public trans and not in a container is a no no...

a 2 minute google search of MTA, CTA and Bart pet policies all came up with the same thing, service animals only or pets in a crate. and as far as owning a pet in the city, thats an elective choice that comes with elective expenses. in our country, you'd have to take a cab. so call it what you will but the official policy of transit authorities in new york, chicago and san fransisco are all the same.....

Nouvellecosse
May 20, 2012, 6:29 AM
I guess if people want to get a large dog, they need to make sure they either have private transportation for it, or live somewhere that has a park fairly handy so they don't need to go across town just to walk it.

J. Will
May 20, 2012, 7:09 AM
That's crazy. I've never heard of such a rule. To me a well-behaved dog is no worse than a well-behaved person.

pdxtex
May 20, 2012, 6:27 PM
well all of you wacky kanucks with your outlandish ideas like subsidized university, clean safe cities, and apparently dogs on trains! honestly, i wouldn't mind a nice well behaved house pet now and then, but all of the dogs brought on to trimet trains are usually mangy street dogs with a group of traveling gutter punk kids. this i take it is probably just a west coast phenomenon.

J. Will
May 20, 2012, 7:54 PM
Are these mangy street dogs well-behaved, or do they cause a scene every time you see them?

Chef
May 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
In my experience gutterpunk dogs are well behaved because they are used to being in public all the time.

BTW pets are prohibited from the insides of bars and restaurants for health code reasons. Food isn't served on public transit so that wouldn't be a reason to ban them there.

pdxtex
May 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
i dont think there is a big pet conspiracy in the US, its just how it is, better to ban them outright and not be liable for any potential consequences. sure 9 out of 10 dogs may be friendly but the one dog that bites somebody is going to entirely be the financial responsibility of the transit agency that allowed it. peoples' pets are an absolute 2nd or 3rd consideration in a American transit agency's list of considerations. apparently toronto reallly loves dogs. edit, boston and seattle love dogs too, only during off peak hours and on a leash. so there you go.

bunt_q
May 21, 2012, 1:17 AM
Even the best behaved dog takes the occasional big dump. And only the best behaved owner picks up after them. I'd prefer they stay off trains.

J. Will
May 21, 2012, 2:03 AM
i dont think there is a big pet conspiracy in the US, its just how it is, better to ban them outright and not be liable for any potential consequences.

MAYBE better for the transit agencies. Not better for the people with big dogs and no car who would like to be able to get from point A to point B at a reasonable cost.

apparently toronto reallly loves dogs. edit, boston and seattle love dogs too

No, it's not Toronto. I don't know of a single transit agency in the country that bans leashed dogs outside of rush hours.

pdxtex
May 21, 2012, 3:22 AM
and now for something completely different, brought to you by the city of los angeles....and finally, don't KILL the bus driver.....

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/20/1-detained-following-fatal-shooting-of-mta-bus-driver-in-west-hollywood/

Nouvellecosse
May 21, 2012, 5:00 AM
No, it's not Toronto. I don't know of a single transit agency in the country that bans leashed dogs outside of rush hours.
I had to double check, but as I suspected, Halifax doesn't allow them.

"Animals

With the exception of Seeing-Eye Dogs and other trained working dogs, animals are not allowed on Metro Transit vehicles, unless properly restrained in a closed cage so the animal will not cause a disturbance or damage to the vehicle."

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/policies.html

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, if the dog is properly behaved, it wouldn't matter much, but on the other hand I've often found in other situations people aren't very courteous with their dogs' behaviour. They expect other people to have the same patience and make the same allowances for the animal's "cute" indiscretions as one would make for a child and not everyone is willing to do that. Also, not everyone will agree on what constitutes as good behaviour. Some would consider almost anything outside of pooping, peeing, or biting as ok, while others would expect the dog to practically be a perfect statue.

To be honest though, all the times I've had a dog, the issue never came up. The dog lived at home, I walked it in the neighbourhood, and I don't recall ever taking it anywhere outside of walking range other than the vet in which case I used a taxi.

someone123
May 21, 2012, 8:02 AM
In Vancouver as far as I know dogs must be in a crate at all times. It's not enough to have them on a leash. I think they also only allow dogs up to a certain size.

vid
May 21, 2012, 3:15 PM
When I had to transport my cat to the vet, I got a ride from a relative. As long as you plan ahead it's possible. $10 for gas is a lot cheaper than a $25 round trip in a cab.

Its likely that I could have brought the cat to the vet on the bus (our rule is "small animals in cages are allowed at the driver's discretion", though I have seen people carry cats and small dogs without cages on board before) but I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Driving took half as long.

brickell
May 21, 2012, 4:24 PM
Yeah, a lot of people are afraid of dogs down here. I've never seen one on public transportation. Besides that, they smell, shed and a lot of people are allergic to them. Just keep your dog at home or find a closer park.

TarHeelJ
May 21, 2012, 8:23 PM
Yeah, a lot of people are afraid of dogs down here. I've never seen one on public transportation. Besides that, they smell, shed and a lot of people are allergic to them. Just keep your dog at home or find a closer park.

I am not aware of a transit system that allows non-service dogs on leashes. It's crazy to think of allowing them, and this is from a dog owner who treats his pet like his child. :) I would totally trust her on public transit because I would make sure she has done her business prior to boarding and I know she wouldn't harm anyone, but she is also a big dog and people are often afraid of her. In addition, not all pet owners are responsible.

Nouvellecosse
May 21, 2012, 9:10 PM
Yeah, I was seriously surprised when I heard about the TTC being so liberal about it. I would not expect most transit agencies would be so lenient.

J. Will
May 21, 2012, 10:14 PM

The park thing I was using as an example, not the only reason you might want to take your dog on the transit.

J. Will
May 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
I am not aware of a transit system that allows non-service dogs on leashes.

If youve read this thread you are. I already mentioned that the TTC allows them, and even linked to the page that explicitly says they are.

Segun
May 22, 2012, 5:51 PM
I really don't mind noise on public transit, as long as its not too overbearing. If you're singing or rapping, be good at it, sing in key and rap good lyrics. People rapping horrible songs out loud:

...............cocaine on the nose
............b**tch f**kin wit her main ho
.............calll that s**t DRAINO

I'm like really, are those lyrics so profound, you chose to share them out loud? WTF

I also don't mind phone conversations or loud face to face conversations, once again, as long as they're not too profane or deal with illegal activity (great way to get caught). I don't want to hear about how good you were f**cked last night. I guess its from being in Chicago, which is one of the more raucous systems in North America.

I have this strange ability to be able to read with all sorts of commotion and noise going on around me. I once watched (what I thought looked like) a new rider on the CTA reading a book and visibly annoyed at the little high pitched noise that came out of a fellow passnger's earbuds. He was relieved when that passenger left, but the next station was Addison, packed after a Cubs game, LOL. The train ain't a library buddy, you might as well give up.

ardecila
May 22, 2012, 8:08 PM
The other day I was on a CTA bus. A woman sits down next to me and starts hacking and sneezing. A friend/relative calls her up, and she proceeds to describe all the disgusting symptoms she encountered last night - vomiting, diarrhea (inc. the type/color of the stool), cold sweats, etc.

If I was a doctor I probably could have diagnosed her right there from the detailed descriptions and given a prescription, but it was effin' nasty. I'm far from a germaphobe, but seriously... if you're grappling with something like that, don't ride the bus and definitely don't talk about it out loud.

Fortunately I was close to my destination and I got off two stops early.

vid
May 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
I also don't mind phone conversations or loud face to face conversations, once again, as long as they're not too profane or deal with illegal activity (great way to get caught). I don't want to hear about how good you were f**cked last night. I guess its from being in Chicago, which is one of the more raucous systems in North America.

This is what helps make my public transit trips feel short. "Eavesdropping" on other people's conversations. On a couple occasions I intentionally went past a stop to hear the end of some story that someone was telling another person. People involved in illegal activity usually have the most interesting stories to tell.

tech12
May 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
I also don't mind phone conversations or loud face to face conversations, once again, as long as they're not too profane or deal with illegal activity (great way to get caught)

I especially don't understand the part about people bragging about illegal stuff, especially highly illegal and socially unaccepted stuff...like the time I heard a dude bagging about the murder charge he beat, against his expectations (so it seems that he did in fact do it, as he implied to a bus full of people). I guess it's just to feel extra tough/bad ass and everything (or they just don't care who hears), but damn, how stupid can you be, loudly talking about stuff like that in public? It's eventually gonna bite you in the ass in some way or another.

Segun
May 26, 2012, 9:32 AM
I especially don't understand the part about people bragging about illegal stuff, especially highly illegal and socially unaccepted stuff...like the time I heard a dude bagging about the murder charge he beat, against his expectations (so it seems that he did in fact do it, as he implied to a bus full of people). I guess it's just to feel extra tough/bad ass and everything (or they just don't care who hears), but damn, how stupid can you be, loudly talking about stuff like that in public? It's eventually gonna bite you in the ass in some way or another.

I think most people are compensating for being insecure.