PDA

View Full Version : The Midwest and Northeast brings new cachet to living and working in the Rust Belt

Pages : 1 [2]

Buckeye Native 001
Feb 19, 2011, 12:49 AM
On and on, and I bet Cincy and Baltimore (maybe in a different way) is similar. Tiny empires.

Well, at one point Cincinnati was considered the playing card capital of the world, but I'm not sure how true that is anymore ;)

Centropolis
Feb 19, 2011, 12:54 AM
Well, at one point Cincinnati was considered the playing card capital of the world, but I'm not sure how true that is anymore ;)

The saying for St. Louis was "first in shoes, first in booze, and last in the American League." That's almost as fucked up sounding now as being the playing card capital. :D

Of course Baltimore took our American League team - I guess they wanted some blood after some investments didn't pan out!

Thundertubs
Feb 19, 2011, 1:19 AM
Peoria: Flyswatter Capital of America.

Seriously.

Buckeye Native 001
Feb 19, 2011, 1:28 AM
The saying for St. Louis was "first in shoes, first in booze, and last in the American League." That's almost as fucked up sounding now as being the playing card capital.

DC had a similar slogan when they still had the Senators: "First in war, first in peace, last in the American League"

Centropolis
Feb 19, 2011, 1:33 AM
DC had a similar slogan when they still had the Senators: "First in war, first in peace, last in the American League"

What? Good lord, as much as I love D.C., it doesn't mix with baseball.

Peoria: Flyswatter Capital of America.

Seriously.

I love Peoria, I'm lucky enough to be a contractor for Cat. The good people of central Illinois are some of my favorite people anywhere.

Which makes me wonder why I haven't done a Peoria thread...April-May...

hudkina
Feb 19, 2011, 3:56 AM
Uh... You do realize that D.C. has the Nationals...;)

TarHeelJ
Feb 20, 2011, 7:32 AM
Uh... You do realize that D.C. has the Nationals...;)

The Nationals don't mix well with baseball either...:cool:

Buckeye Native 001
Feb 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
About 85% of the current teams (excluding the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cards and Phillies) don't mix well with the current incarnation of baseball.