PDA

View Full Version : Beaverton Beavers Ballpark Rendering

PacificNW
Sep 4, 2009, 12:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/PacificNW/Dump/Screenshot2009-09-03at51337PM.png

http://beavers2beaverton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Beaverton-Stadium-S.JPG

Okstate
Sep 4, 2009, 1:02 AM
From the looks of it, it appears to seat around 9-10,000. Not a bad looking park from the rendering.

Snowden352
Sep 4, 2009, 3:24 AM
Wait, so are the Beavers moving to Beaverton? Haven't been following and I'm kinda lazy/busy.

PacificNW
Sep 4, 2009, 3:48 AM
It looks as though Clackamas County is also making a play for the team...

urbanlife
Sep 4, 2009, 7:53 AM
in case anyone is wondering, this rendering is just a rendering of what the ballpark would look like next to a MAX stop, it is not the rendering of any one specific site.

Heck, looking at the rendering closer, it doesnt even look to be proportioned right...the ball field looks really small compared to the size of the people in the perspective...but that is just a critic of a general image of a ballpark.

RoseCtyRoks
Sep 16, 2009, 9:05 AM
A potential deal between Beaverton and Portland Beavers owner Merritt Paulson for a $45 million baseball stadium would include an upfront contribution of at least $8 million and annual rent payments of at least $500,000, according to the city.

Public money could fit the rest of the bill--whatever that may be.

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2009/09/beaverton_baseball_stadium_to.html

ad hoc
Sep 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
i think it is implied to go where the old cinema was:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rkfqr64rzcg2&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=5575735&encType=1

MR. Cosmopolitan
Sep 16, 2009, 1:35 PM
WHAT??? a sports team is moving to a nother town?, how can that be?

cab
Sep 16, 2009, 2:12 PM
http://djcoregon.com/news/2009/09/15/beaverton-mayor-no-commitment-on-bg-plaza-site/

"Did he or didn’t he? That’s the debate that’s apparently cropped up over a claim by the owners of BG Plaza in Beaverton that Mayor Denny Doyle during a private meeting Friday told them the city is no longer interested in condemning the property to make room for a baseball stadium.".....

pdxhome
Sep 16, 2009, 2:56 PM
I think the westgate site and the site across from Beaverton TC make the most sense. It look like the Beaverton TC site would potentially displace several residential units (50 trailers and maybe 60 apartment units). The westgate site would displace 16-18 businesses...

Either way, there aprears to be enought political will to get this done.

urbanlife
Sep 16, 2009, 9:15 PM
http://djcoregon.com/news/2009/09/15/beaverton-mayor-no-commitment-on-bg-plaza-site/

"Did he or didn’t he? That’s the debate that’s apparently cropped up over a claim by the owners of BG Plaza in Beaverton that Mayor Denny Doyle during a private meeting Friday told them the city is no longer interested in condemning the property to make room for a baseball stadium.".....

Actually the correct statement is for now the city is not interested in condemning...basically they would rather try negotiating first before making that an option.

If you were in negotiation with your city that wanted your property, you would be much more angry if they started the negotiations off with, "if you dont sell to us, we will just condemn your property, so how can we make this work?"

If the Briggs family doesnt budge over negotiations, they I could see that becoming an option by the end of the year.

Also, I was over in that part of Beaverton today and I have to say, a ballpark there would definitely change the feel of that area and could be what the city needs to make the Round more a part of the city...they really do need to push for a better urban core to their city anyway.

eric cantona
Sep 17, 2009, 5:18 AM
adding an influx of cars into an already deplorable system would be insane. drive around this part of Beaverton during rush hour sometime, and ask yourself what 1,500 or so more cars might do to it.

the Lents option (EZ freeway access and a MAX stop) made 1,000 times more sense than this site, and Lents was a stupid idea. yes, MAX is nearby, but if you think that the majority of beaver fans are taking mass transit you're crazy.

RED_PDXer
Sep 17, 2009, 5:43 AM
adding an influx of cars into an already deplorable system would be insane. drive around this part of Beaverton during rush hour sometime, and ask yourself what 1,500 or so more cars might do to it.

the Lents option (EZ freeway access and a MAX stop) made 1,000 times more sense than this site, and Lents was a stupid idea. yes, MAX is nearby, but if you think that the majority of beaver fans are taking mass transit you're crazy.

The solution to suburban sprawl is not vacant lots and lower density, it's a more ped/bike/transit friendly place and includes more things to easily walk and take transit to. Trip generators like public stadiums belong near transit for this very reason since they allow for shorter trips and more trips to be taken via transit that otherwise would be taken via the highway or arterial road system.

On a side note, if traffic's already so bad on the west side, then perhaps 33,000 more acres of land incorporating into the UGB isn't the best thing for Washington County because it will only spread out more origins and destinations and require even more driving..

RED_PDXer
Sep 17, 2009, 5:51 AM
Actually the correct statement is for now the city is not interested in condemning...basically they would rather try negotiating first before making that an option.

If you were in negotiation with your city that wanted your property, you would be much more angry if they started the negotiations off with, "if you dont sell to us, we will just condemn your property, so how can we make this work?"

I think the city recognizes that this is less than an optimal use of condemnation. A baseball stadium is hardly supporting a "public purpose". I'm sure many of you would argue otherwise, but you're probably part of that minority that really cares about sports.

urbanlife
Sep 17, 2009, 4:55 PM
I think the city recognizes that this is less than an optimal use of condemnation. A baseball stadium is hardly supporting a "public purpose". I'm sure many of you would argue otherwise, but you're probably part of that minority that really cares about sports.

Personally I feel the land is underused and for being in an area that the city wishes to make its "new downtown" then I could see it being justifiable for condemnation for the betterment of the city....but doing it just for a ballpark is not a good enough reason for the city to condemn the property.

ad hoc
Sep 17, 2009, 7:13 PM
i used to live right there. the area is quite quiet north of the highways and could really use an infusion of activity. by the way, dozens of bus routes pass thru the area, plus two lrt lines and commuter rail. how's that for transportation options...

RoseCtyRoks
Oct 30, 2009, 7:42 PM
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_103009_sports_beavers_beaverton_paulson.26a073553.html

Uh-oh..... I have a feeling this whole thing just may not be happenin'. Period.

urbanlife
Oct 30, 2009, 7:59 PM
That is a shame, he was basically hoping the city of Beaverton would just rush into this plan, condemn the needed property and start building right away...what he didnt realize is that the city council has no balls to take on dramatic projects which is why Beaverton's downtown is a sorry excuse for a downtown.

But on the other end, I think Paulson was too quick to want to move the Beavers out of PGE Park, I doubt that MLS would be against giving some grace time with the renovation while plans for the Beavers are worked out in a much more normal fashion instead of the shitstorm that we have witnessed.

As of now, the worst that could happen is that Paulson pulls the deal for the Timbers and we are left with what we currently have...there is also that possibility that another metro will jump at the Beavers and Paulson will move them out of the city so that the MLS can move in.

Either way, I think it is still important for a growing metro to continue looking at the possibility of getting a MLB team, which I would be in much greater support for because not only would it be a pro baseball team, but with the Beavers, I could care less about the Padres...hell, Tacoma's team attracts a higher attendance because of who their pro team is than the Beavers can.

On the hopeful side, I hope this is a nice wake up for the city of Beaverton that has informed them that if they wish to redevelop their downtown into something usable, then they will need to pull their heads out of their asses and actually do some leg work rather than hoping magical developers will fly in and do all the work for them.

Also, I figured this was gonna be dead in the water when I heard the city council talking about sending this to a vote...not because it would lose in a ball of flames, but because the vote would probably have to happen in May and Paulson needed this to be a done deal by Thanksgiving so that stadium construction could begin in February.

pdxf
Oct 30, 2009, 8:51 PM
Hopefully they can get this figured out, it would be a shame to lose the Beavers, and I definitely don't want to lose the Timbers.

My mind keeps going on alternate locations (you may remember the OMSI site (http://www.liquidosity.com/baseballatomsi/) idea), but I noticed the other day that the Doubletree motel on Jantzen beach is vacant, and a quick check says that it would be large enough not only for a minor league stadium, but also potentially a MLB sized stadium (for the future). Could be a pretty sweet location right along the Columbia, with a new MAX stop at it's front door, and the center of a redeveloped community at Jantzen Beach...

Quick Site Plan Rendering (http://www.io9.us/articles/Portland-Beavers-Baseball-Stadium)

PacificNW
Oct 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have a feeling the Beavers will be sold and relocated...

twofiftyfive
Oct 30, 2009, 11:18 PM
As of now, the worst that could happen is that Paulson pulls the deal for the Timbers and we are left with what we currently have...

Actually, that isn't the worst that could happen at all. With Vancouver and Portland going to MLS in 2011, the westernmost teams in the Timbers' league (USL-1) will be Minnesota and Austin. Travel costs are a big deal for minor leagues, so staying in USL might not be financially feasible. On top of that, the league is extremely unstable right now, with eight of the fourteen(?) teams threatening to break away and form their own league.

Basically, to insure that Portland has a pro soccer team after next year, we need this to work out.

ProTram
Oct 31, 2009, 12:31 AM
which will be a damn shame because Portland NEEDS a baseball team. But I feel they also need a major league soccor team as well so we are in a bit of a conundrum eh?

urbanlife
Oct 31, 2009, 5:39 AM
I have a feeling the Beavers will be sold and relocated...

You are probably right, but I cant figure out why the Paulson doesnt just tell the MLS that he needs time to move a team that is using the stadium and the city doesnt want to rush into anything...thus the Beavers would have to share PGE for a couple years while the right home is found...I doubt it would kill MLS in Portland.

Though I know Paulson has been using the "find a new home for the Beavers or else" as a negotiating move, which has blown up in his face...this region like to work with developers and such, not be told by them what we have to do...if he went about this as being apart of the community and got the region involved with finding a new home for the Beavers at the beginning, he probably wouldnt be in this situation now, but clearly Paulson does not know how to do business in Portland.

MightyAlweg
Nov 1, 2009, 11:21 AM
My mind keeps going on alternate locations (you may remember the OMSI site (http://www.liquidosity.com/baseballatomsi/) idea), but I noticed the other day that the Doubletree motel on Jantzen beach is vacant, and a quick check says that it would be large enough not only for a minor league stadium, but also potentially a MLB sized stadium (for the future). Could be a pretty sweet location right along the Columbia, with a new MAX stop at it's front door, and the center of a redeveloped community at Jantzen Beach...

Quick Site Plan Rendering (http://www.io9.us/articles/Portland-Beavers-Baseball-Stadium)

I love the idea of a Columbia River stadium, but that site only has space for a hundred or so parking space for cars. And that's with the smaller minor league stadium; expanding it to MLB would not leave any parking. Even a minor league stadium seating 10,000 is going to need several thousand parking spaces within 10 minutes walking distance.

ProTram
Nov 1, 2009, 2:14 PM
Creative minds could come up with something. How about they build a one or two floor parking garage UNDERNEATH the stadium? Build the stands and the field right on top of it. The parking could either be underground and the stadium would be at surface level or the parking at surface level and the stadium would be elevated. Does that sound crazy? After seeing certain projects come to life, I don't think it would be that improbable and would certainly look pretty cool. Then they could get by with only needing enough space for the stadium...

Also, where exactly were you proposing for the Columbia River spot? I think a river location would be essential.

pdxf
Nov 1, 2009, 5:33 PM
I love the idea of a Columbia River stadium, but that site only has space for a hundred or so parking space for cars. And that's with the smaller minor league stadium; expanding it to MLB would not leave any parking. Even a minor league stadium seating 10,000 is going to need several thousand parking spaces within 10 minutes walking distance.
Parking could potentially be absorbed by the neighborhood, there are lots of parking lots around the area that I'm sure a few property owners wouldn't mind charging baseball goers for. Eventually, there is likely the possibility of absorbing quite a bit of parking into parking garages.

Also, where exactly were you proposing for the Columbia River spot? I think a river location would be essential.

The location is directly west of I-5 (Quick siteplan here (http://www.io9.us/articles/Portland-Beavers-Baseball-Stadium))

urbanlife
Nov 1, 2009, 7:13 PM
The issue with using Janzen Beach is the fact that there is only one exit for the island, so basically every game day it would be a nightmare for anyone driving...which I am guessing the light rail stop that would happen there is still a good number of years away.

Sioux612
Nov 1, 2009, 9:56 PM
I still think the best option for is somewhere in the core. I'd hate to see Portland's MLB stadium out in a suburb or out of the way from downtown.

urbanlife
Nov 2, 2009, 10:59 AM
I still think the best option for is somewhere in the core. I'd hate to see Portland's MLB stadium out in a suburb or out of the way from downtown.

PPS site is still and will always be the best site for a MLB stadium.

Sioux612
Nov 2, 2009, 11:05 AM
PPS site is still and will always be the best site for a MLB stadium.

The 'bring-MLB-to-Portland' group brought in the owner of the Oakland A's this summer and toured (only) this site.

pdxf
Nov 2, 2009, 3:35 PM
I agree, PPS is the best site for the stadium, but it's fairly doubtful that at this point they will actually move the the functions of the building to a new location, and it also seems as though this one has been off the radar, probably for that reason. I guess the the strategey at this point may be just to lose the beavers and baseball in general until we can land a MLB team (5-30 years away), and then hopefully have the financial resources to go after the PPS site. It's a shame though, and I don't even care for baseball.