PDA

View Full Version : The Retail Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

SpongeG
Sep 16, 2011, 5:36 AM
they just opened a top shop capsule inside the bay here in vancouver - quite nice stuff - only ladies though - you can order mens online - they will making the basement level into a top shop store next year here

it opened today i stopped by quickly - had a lot of browsers, nice stuff, not bad prices should do well in canada

YYCguys
Sep 16, 2011, 1:52 PM
I went to the Top Shop Capsule in Toronto at the beginning of July and bought a lot of stuff then, and when they opened in the Bay in Toronto in early fall, I bought some more! Great stuff! Seems to fit me well, which is always a challenge for a person of shorter stature! Looking forward to shopping there in the Calgary location!

Innersoul1
Sep 16, 2011, 4:53 PM
Top shop is great. It's a place where I like to shop in the UK. Kind of like a high end H&M but the quality is outstanding!

Innersoul1
Sep 16, 2011, 5:07 PM
For you gents the mens version of Topshop is Topmen if you are google searching.

freeweed
Sep 16, 2011, 6:11 PM
high end H&M

Heh.

*filler*

DizzyEdge
Sep 16, 2011, 6:36 PM
I still have yet to go to H&M. I always got the idea it was like a Swedish Le Chateau.

freeweed
Sep 16, 2011, 9:19 PM
I still have yet to go to H&M. I always got the idea it was like a Swedish Le Chateau.

It makes Le Chateau look very, very high end.

A great place for the young'uns to get some cheap dispose-after-one-fashion-season skankwear though, so it serves its purpose.

DizzyEdge
Sep 16, 2011, 9:53 PM
It makes Le Chateau look very, very high end.

A great place for the young'uns to get some cheap dispose-after-one-fashion-season skankwear though, so it serves its purpose.

Wait, I thought that was Le Chateau? Although,.. I do think that the men's clothing at Le Chateau might be longer lasting than the women's.

Jay in Cowtown
Sep 16, 2011, 11:06 PM

more of a European American Eagle Outfitters, about the same shit quality!

SpongeG
Sep 17, 2011, 4:45 AM
H&M sizes are pretty bad - if you are an L-XL here you are outta luck at H&M their XL is like a medium at most other places and their socks are ridiculous - the heel comes up way past the ankle

Calgarian
Sep 26, 2011, 6:47 PM
I like H&M, you can get some pretty decent clothes from there at a very good price. It's not the best store ever, but nothing wrong with the mens wear aside from the very limited selsction.

Calgarian
Sep 26, 2011, 6:49 PM
I was on Stephen Ave on Saturday night and it was really busy, every patio was packed and there were a ton of people walking up and down the street. I wonder if Stephen ave will replace 17th as the main retail / entertainment street in Calgary

DizzyEdge
Sep 26, 2011, 7:05 PM
I was on Stephen Ave on Saturday night and it was really busy, every patio was packed and there were a ton of people walking up and down the street. I wonder if Stephen ave will replace 17th as the main retail / entertainment street in Calgary

I found the same thing, and even the streets and aves away from Stephen Ave weren't completely dead. I was going to an event at Art Central at 7th ave and Centre, and all on-street parking for blocks in all directions was full.

Ferreth
Sep 27, 2011, 1:30 AM
I found the same thing, and even the streets and aves away from Stephen Ave weren't completely dead. I was going to an event at Art Central at 7th ave and Centre, and all on-street parking for blocks in all directions was full.

Part of Stephen Ave's charm is the street level outdoor seating. On a nice night, everyone is outside drinking/eating. It's a nice change from outdoor seating off of a road with loud exhausts roaring by. People seem to be spreading out - I see more people walking around downtown in general on a Saturday night now than I used to see on Stephen Avenue a few years back.

freeweed
Sep 27, 2011, 1:36 AM
I'd love it if 17th Ave could be turned into a pedestrian mall. Stephen Ave is just too "downtown" in many respects - I imagine the high rents are a deterrent to really seeing it blow up.

Me&You
Sep 27, 2011, 2:20 AM
I'd love it if 17th Ave could be turned into a pedestrian mall. Stephen Ave is just too "downtown" in many respects - I imagine the high rents are a deterrent to really seeing it blow up.

What's your definition of "blow up"?

I can't think of a vast void of businesses... What exactly are the high rents deterring?

freeweed
Sep 27, 2011, 2:52 AM
Well, Stephen Ave isn't exactly a hotbed of activity like 17th is. If anything, that's demonstrated by the fact that people specifically are pointing out it having a busy day. I can't imagine anyone coming here to post that "wow, 17th Ave was really busy the other day!". It's busy every day.

Hell, don't we still have empty storefronts on Stephen? Is the old A&B building occupied finally?

I dunno, it just seems that 17th is much more full of the type of thing that attracts people. It'd be nice to see Stephen Ave compete, but it's had 20+ years and still struggles. It needs a little kick to really turn it into the major destination in Calgary - deservedly so, because pedestrian malls are 10x nicer to hang out in at night than a busy street.

fusili
Sep 27, 2011, 4:15 AM

I would agree in part. Perhaps not a fully pedestrian mall, but if traffic could be reduced somewhat and better, wider sidewalks and pedestrian facilities put in- I would be all for it.

MichaelS
Sep 27, 2011, 4:34 AM
Well, Stephen Ave isn't exactly a hotbed of activity like 17th is. If anything, that's demonstrated by the fact that people specifically are pointing out it having a busy day. I can't imagine anyone coming here to post that "wow, 17th Ave was really busy the other day!". It's busy every day.

Hell, don't we still have empty storefronts on Stephen? Is the old A&B building occupied finally?

I dunno, it just seems that 17th is much more full of the type of thing that attracts people. It'd be nice to see Stephen Ave compete, but it's had 20+ years and still struggles. It needs a little kick to really turn it into the major destination in Calgary - deservedly so, because pedestrian malls are 10x nicer to hang out in at night than a busy street.

Have you read any of KW150's posts? (just some good natured ribbing KW, not meant as an insult). ;)

MalcolmTucker
Sep 27, 2011, 6:29 AM
Doing a pilot project where street parking is removed and one lane becomes an extended sidewalk protected by large but moveable planters would be a good test for a weekend or two. If traffic doesn't come to a standstill and retail traffic doesn't drop, you could even offer patio space if made semi permanent (Friday 6 pm till monday 6 am perhaps) The pilot could even use simple m-barriers to save some cash.

DizzyEdge
Sep 27, 2011, 9:26 AM
I think 17th would benefit most from having all the many gaps filled in.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 2:04 PM
Doing a pilot project where street parking is removed and one lane becomes an extended sidewalk protected by large but moveable planters would be a good test for a weekend or two. If traffic doesn't come to a standstill and retail traffic doesn't drop, you could even offer patio space if made semi permanent (Friday 6 pm till monday 6 am perhaps) The pilot could even use simple m-barriers to save some cash.

If you tried to eliminate parking on 17th, people and businesses would freak out and the surrounding streets would become even more congested. I think 17th is fine the way it is, and I agree that more of the retail space needs to fill in before we try anything.

The biggest appeal of Stephen Ave is the lack of cars, but they still allow them after 6PM.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 2:06 PM
New market open in Casel http://www.market17.ca/

fusili
Sep 27, 2011, 3:08 PM
If you tried to eliminate parking on 17th, people and businesses would freak out and the surrounding streets would become even more congested. I think 17th is fine the way it is, and I agree that more of the retail space needs to fill in before we try anything.

The biggest appeal of Stephen Ave is the lack of cars, but they still allow them after 6PM.

There is a crazy amount of parking around 17th, just parking that people don't notice. Mount Royal Village has essentially 3 levels of public parking that is virtually empty for most of the day and night. I imagine the building where classic Jacks is located is the same. Many parking lots in the area are in fact empty after office hours, which is when demand for parking on 17th goes up. I think removing one lane, or just parts of a lane, for more public space and patios would be a great move. San Francisco did just this and it works incredibly well. Check it out: http://sfpavementtoparks.sfplanning.org/

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 3:15 PM
A pilot project like Malcolm suggested would be a good idea, I could just see a lot of opposition initially.

5seconds
Sep 27, 2011, 3:36 PM

I could see extending the side walks by removing the parking lane on the north side. Then keep 1 lane of parking on the south side, and then do a lane reversal to keep 2 lanes going in the direction of rush hour traffic, and 1 lane against.

3 through lanes (reversible), 1 parking lane and larger side walks. If it became successful and there were calls for more pedestrian accommodation, then extend the sidewalk on the south side into the remaining parking lane, and maintain a 3 lane, no-parking road?

bigcanuck
Sep 27, 2011, 3:43 PM
I could see extending the side walks by removing the parking lane on the north side. Then keep 1 lane of parking on the south side, and then do a lane reversal to keep 2 lanes going in the direction of rush hour traffic, and 1 lane against.

3 through lanes (reversible), 1 parking lane and larger side walks. If it became successful and there were calls for more pedestrian accommodation, then extend the sidewalk on the south side into the remaining parking lane, and maintain a 3 lane, no-parking road?

The problem with lane reversal (or even removal of one lane) is that most intersections do not have designated left turn lanes. If traffic in one direction is down to one lane, movement grinds to a stop. A solution to the above would be to restrict left turns during designated hours but these signs always seem to go unnoticed by a select few drivers.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 3:51 PM
No lane reversal on 17th, that would signal that the street is for commuting, not shopping / entertainment IMO. I think that street should be discouraged as a commuter street if at all possible, 11th works much better in that regard anyway.

5seconds
Sep 27, 2011, 4:17 PM
No lane reversal on 17th, that would signal that the street is for commuting, not shopping / entertainment IMO. I think that street should be discouraged as a commuter street if at all possible, 11th works much better in that regard anyway.

I disagree. Just because lane reversals are currently used on commuter roads, that does not mean they should be used for that exclusively. It's a potential tool to maintain usefulness to peak time road users, while at the same time allowing the street to re-purpose part of itself for other uses. It's about striking a balance.

People will naturally use the most appropriate road. If 11th works much better, then it will naturally be utilised more. Unless you are proposing a significant reduction in the usefulness of 17th (Making it a 1 lane road, or closing links to roads such as McLeod or Crowchild for instance), it will continue to be a well-used road for car traffic unless better alternatives present themselves.

Saying that, I was looking for a balance between road and foot traffic. If there is a case to be made to severely cripple car access to the road, then I could get behind that too. I can't see it happening, so I was offering a balance, but might be interesting.

The problem with lane reversal (or even removal of one lane) is that most intersections do not have designated left turn lanes. If traffic in one direction is down to one lane, movement grinds to a stop. A solution to the above would be to restrict left turns during designated hours but these signs always seem to go unnoticed by a select few drivers.

I agree, but with better notice, I think it could be mitigated (large painted no-turn signs on the outside lanes, better enforcement etc).

I guess this is part of the same question. How far do we tip the scales to favour one mode of transportation over another? On a road like 17th, do we favour cars (as we kind of do), do we totally favour pedestrians (like an Stephen Ave style road) or do we try to get the balance in the middle? (Or any degree in between?) Is the improved access for pedestrians at the detriment of car access worth it? I think so, for certain roads.

I can think of dozens of roads that have totally eliminated pedestrian traffic for the benifit of the road user (all expressways, freeways etc) but I can think of only one that does the opposite (Stephen Ave). I think a well-rounded city should have certain roads made available to the benefit of pedestrians only, and 17th would be at the top of the list.

DizzyEdge
Sep 27, 2011, 4:41 PM

That's the thing, the time of day we're all excited that Stephen ave is busy, is once cars are allowed in anyway.
The thing with Stephen Ave, or any turn of the century relatively unadulterated retail street, is a high number of establishments per block. 17th ave could have twice as many retail bays within it's existing length if all the gaps between buildings were filled in.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 5:24 PM
Like I said, I think a lane reversal will encourage people to commute using 17th and will deter people who are going there to make use of all the street has to offer. Once you get past about 14th Street, then it becomes a thoroughfare again.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 5:26 PM
That's the thing, the time of day we're all excited that Stephen ave is busy, is once cars are allowed in anyway.
The thing with Stephen Ave, or any turn of the century relatively unadulterated retail street, is a high number of establishments per block. 17th ave could have twice as many retail bays within it's existing length if all the gaps between buildings were filled in.

I think Stephen Ave could be as successful if they banned cars at all times. 17th definitely has more room for retail though.

DizzyEdge
Sep 27, 2011, 5:38 PM
Patios could certainly be bigger with cars banned all the time, since they could extend right to the 'curb'

MalcolmTucker
Sep 27, 2011, 5:53 PM
I think Stephen Ave could be as successful if they banned cars at all times. 17th definitely has more room for retail though.

I'm not sure, maybe for a while, but the teaser parking and drive by capacity is a powerful pshycological effect I think. To bring new people down, it helps provide a bit of an incentive, a nudge.

Since it failed in the past as totally pedestrian, unless the current situation is failing in a different way (safety, pedestrian capacity ), why try to change it.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 5:54 PM
Patios could certainly be bigger with cars banned all the time, since they could extend right to the 'curb'

I think the size of most patios is fine, if they want to expand them, then use he roof.

DizzyEdge
Sep 27, 2011, 5:56 PM
I think the size of most patios is fine, if they want to expand them, then use he roof.

Have a rooftop sidewalk where you can patio hop without ever coming back to earth :haha:

fusili
Sep 27, 2011, 6:00 PM

Several problems with that. First, most buildings on 17th are built to property line or close enough to it, so patios are small, if not impossible. Second, most buildings built on 17th were not built to structurally support weight on the roof. The roof has to be able to hold all the people that will be on it, plus furniture etc, while the storey underneath is on fire. Building a rooftop patio involves a considerable amount of structural engineering, and a lot of money (beams and joists may have to be replaced etc etc).

Putting them on the street keeps activity on the street and makes the sidewalk also more inviting and safe.

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 6:15 PM
Several problems with that. First, most buildings on 17th are built to property line or close enough to it, so patios are small, if not impossible. Second, most buildings built on 17th were not built to structurally support weight on the roof. The roof has to be able to hold all the people that will be on it, plus furniture etc, while the storey underneath is on fire. Building a rooftop patio involves a considerable amount of structural engineering, and a lot of money (beams and joists may have to be replaced etc etc).
I realize all that is required to have a patio on the roof, I just like roof top patios. :cheers:

Putting them on the street keeps activity on the street and makes the sidewalk also more inviting and safe.
Sort of. If you try and walk by the patio at the ship or Melrose, there are a lot of people standing in the way smoking or talking to the people on the patio, and some can get hostile when you ask them to move so you can get by. I get your point though, it definitely adds to the vibrancy and feel of the street.

5seconds
Sep 27, 2011, 6:47 PM
Like I said, I think a lane reversal will encourage people to commute using 17th and will deter people who are going there to make use of all the street has to offer. Once you get past about 14th Street, then it becomes a thoroughfare again.

All a lane reversal (in my scenario) would do is maintain 2 lanes in the direction of rush hour traffic. It would not add an additional lane as most reversals do. It would mitigate the worst effects (hopefully) of closing a lane. I doubt that maintaining the status quo would encourage anything...?

And wider sidewalks would encourage "making use of all the street has to offer", not deter it, no?

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 7:08 PM
All a lane reversal (in my scenario) would do is maintain 2 lanes in the direction of rush hour traffic. It would not add an additional lane as most reversals do. It would mitigate the worst effects (hopefully) of closing a lane. I doubt that maintaining the status quo would encourage anything...? Agree to disagree I guess.

And wider sidewalks would encourage "making use of all the street has to offer", not deter it, no? Absolutely! narrow sidewalks are one of my pet peeves about this city.

5seconds
Sep 27, 2011, 7:21 PM
Agree to disagree I guess.

Genuinely curious, why do you think going from a 2 lane road (with 2 lanes oncoming) to a 2 lane road (with 1 lanes oncoming) would increase commuter use?

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 7:24 PM
Genuinely curious, why do you think going from a 2 lane road (with 2 lanes oncoming) to a 2 lane road (with 1 lanes oncoming) would increase commuter use?

Because it would be telling motorists that you want to help them get through the area as fast as possible, which in my mind would go against what the area is intended to be used for, and could be to the detriment of the businesses in the area.

17th avenue is the destination, not the route one should take to get to the destination.

5seconds
Sep 27, 2011, 7:33 PM
17th avenue is the destination

agree

not the route one should take to get to the destination.

partially disagree

Because it would be telling motorists that you want to help them get through the area as fast as possible, which in my mind would go against what the area is intended to be used for, and could be to the detriment of the businesses in the area.

agree to disagree

Calgarian
Sep 27, 2011, 7:35 PM
agree to disagree

Agreed! :cheers:

Ferreth
Sep 28, 2011, 2:23 AM
I'm not fond of 17th as it is right now - it's a mediocre pedestrian environment and a piss-poor car environment. I'd like to see the road reduced to 2 lanes, with left hand turning lanes left at intersections AND traffic lights with scramble crossings for pedestrians similar to 3rd Ave and 3rd St. SW. Left hand turns only on left signals(for 17th Ave, and major streets), no right hand turns on red either. That's the best situation I can think of to make things easy for pedestrians, while allowing traffic to keep going during green lights. It certainly would decrease car traffic, which would improve the environment for everyone NOT in a car. I'd also consider raised intersections with some sort of cobblestone roughness to remind cars to slow for intersections.

The extra space would be used for enhanced sidewalks, patios etc. I'm sort of thinking of something like Stephen Avenue, just slightly more tuned toward having car traffic. I might be coming off as a bit anti-car here, but I'm not really - I like the bit of traffic allowed on Stephen avenue at night - the design of the road really seems to limit speeding and engine gunning (pedestrians could jump out at any moment) and it seems to have become a bit of a hot spot for parking your "classic car" or exotic. A few strategically placed parking spots could be accommodated along 17th too, come to think of it.

lineman
Sep 28, 2011, 3:18 AM
Wouldn't strangling traffic on 17th divert traffic through Mission, Lower Mount Royal, and Connaught?

jeffwhit
Sep 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
I'm not fond of 17th as it is right now - it's a mediocre pedestrian environment and a piss-poor car environment. I'd like to see the road reduced to 2 lanes, with left hand turning lanes left at intersections AND traffic lights with scramble crossings for pedestrians similar to 3rd Ave and 3rd St. SW. Left hand turns only on left signals(for 17th Ave, and major streets), no right hand turns on red either. That's the best situation I can think of to make things easy for pedestrians, while allowing traffic to keep going during green lights. It certainly would decrease car traffic, which would improve the environment for everyone NOT in a car. I'd also consider raised intersections with some sort of cobblestone roughness to remind cars to slow for intersections.
Scrambles are the most underused traffic/pedestrian strategy.. I like your thinking here.

Calgarian
Sep 29, 2011, 12:43 AM
Aren't scrambles less efficient for both traffic and pedestrians? they just increase safety (assuming everyone knows it's a scramble and is paying attention).

jeffwhit
Sep 29, 2011, 12:49 AM
How are they less efficient? The fact that pedestrians don't interfere with turning vehicles makes traffic flow better since cars aren't just stopped trying to make right turns.

lineman
Sep 29, 2011, 1:11 AM
Considering many pedestrians don't understand the concept of the flashing don't walk, this might help out.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 29, 2011, 1:44 AM
In Toronto they allow pedestrian movements on all light phases at their scrambles - it really holds up traffic.

freeweed
Sep 29, 2011, 2:16 PM
How are they less efficient? The fact that pedestrians don't interfere with turning vehicles makes traffic flow better since cars aren't just stopped trying to make right turns.

I only regularly encounter one scramble intersection here and it takes FOREVER to cross. Both as a pedestrian and vehicle. If it actually saw a lot of traffic it would be perpetually backed up.

A big part of this is the inability to make right turns on red, even when there's no reason not to (ie: zero pedestrians).

YYCguys
Oct 19, 2011, 8:21 AM
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/10/17/walmart-canada-will-just-keep-growing/

Walmart Canada will just keep growing

Hollie Shaw Oct 17, 2011 – 10:34 AM ET

Walmart Canada will keep growing long after its rollout of grocery superstores is complete given how it operates in the fairly saturated U.S. market, according to analyst Keith Howlett of Desjardins Securities.

“Canadian retailers should not expect that Walmart Canada’s ambition will be less expensive or less intense,” he said in a note to clients, and investors and grocers should expect the Arkansas-based mass merchant to roll out new formats in this country even before it is done building grocery supercentres, which will take an estimated four to five years at the current pace.

Mr. Howlett predicts the mass merchant will bring its new 15,000-square foot Walmart Express format into the country within three to five years. “Canadian grocers are going to need to begin playing offence against Walmart Canada, not merely defence. …We expect that the risks related to Canadian grocery stocks will begin to escalate after 2013, as Walmart Canada introduces new formats into Canada and Target Canada fine-tunes its offering.”

Walmart’s focus on growing market share was underscored by its acquisition of 39 Zellers locations from Target, which will open as Walmart outlets in late 2012 — just a few months before the March 2013 opening of Target in Canada.

Yikes! This would most likely ruin unique shopping streets like 17th Ave and the like!

DizzyEdge
Oct 19, 2011, 10:35 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but a Save-On-Foods will be part of the Seton development.

http://sinsblog.com/2011/10/02/overwaitea-announces-save-on-foods-expansion-to-calgary/

Can anyone tell me where this chain fits in the increasingly crowded grocery scene?

Calgarian
Oct 19, 2011, 2:30 PM

It's because you have to wait for both directions of traffic to go if you are a pedestrian, and one direction of traffic and the pedestrians if you are a motorist. Basically, it takes longer to get through the intersection for both cars and pedestrians.

5seconds
Oct 19, 2011, 2:51 PM
Mr. Howlett predicts the mass merchant will bring its new 15,000-square foot Walmart Express format into the country within three to five years. “Canadian grocers are going to need to begin playing offence against Walmart Canada, not merely defence. …We expect that the risks related to Canadian grocery stocks will begin to escalate after 2013, as Walmart Canada introduces new formats into Canada and Target Canada fine-tunes its offering.”
![/I]

In London, all of the supermarket chains have urban 'express' style stores (Tesco Metro, Co-op Local, Sainsbury's Express, I think) And I can't help but wonder why that isn't happening to some extent here.

The stores focus on lunch and quick take-dinner-home-after-work kind of shopping (as well as serving basic groceries to local residents) and I was thinking that since Co-op already has a kind of 'Market Place' theme, they should run with that. If they opened a 'Co-op Marketplace' in that new building in Inglewood, they would do really well. There is no local supermarket anyway, and there are enough daytime workers in the area to make it worth their while.

I would shop there.

DizzyEdge
Oct 19, 2011, 4:02 PM
Two food trucks, Blam!wich and Alleyburger will be in the West Canadian parking lot 11:30 - 2pm today

1601 9 Ave SE

Ramsayfarian
Oct 19, 2011, 4:16 PM
Two food trucks, Blam!wich and Alleyburger will be in the West Canadian parking lot 11:30 - 2pm today

1601 9 Ave SE

I saw that earlier. Kind of an odd location if you ask me. JoJo's is going to be at Manchester, which seems like a better spot. Too bad I had BBQ yesterday.

DizzyEdge
Oct 19, 2011, 4:21 PM
I saw that earlier. Kind of an odd location if you ask me. JoJo's is going to be at Manchester, which seems like a better spot. Too bad I had BBQ yesterday.

I think it's a combination lunch for the ~200 people in the WC building, plus a promotion in a sense (I think they were invited by WC as they will be in the WC parking lot)

Ramsayfarian
Oct 19, 2011, 4:26 PM
I think it's a combination lunch for the ~200 people in the WC building, plus a promotion in a sense (I think they were invited by WC as they will be in the WC parking lot)

WC might have greased their wheels to show up.

MichaelS
Oct 19, 2011, 6:26 PM
In London, all of the supermarket chains have urban 'express' style stores (Tesco Metro, Co-op Local, Sainsbury's Express, I think) And I can't help but wonder why that isn't happening to some extent here.The stores focus on lunch and quick take-dinner-home-after-work kind of shopping (as well as serving basic groceries to local residents) and I was thinking that since Co-op already has a kind of 'Market Place' theme, they should run with that. If they opened a 'Co-op Marketplace' in that new building in Inglewood, they would do really well. There is no local supermarket anyway, and there are enough daytime workers in the area to make it worth their while.

I would shop there.

I think the problem is land is still too cheap (especially compared to London) and therefor easier to build the larger centres, even in a central location like Co-op and Safeway in the Beltline. I also don't think we have any neighbourhood (except maybe the Beltline) that has a population density high enough to justify the type of market you are describing unfortunately.

5seconds
Oct 19, 2011, 7:24 PM
I think the problem is land is still too cheap (especially compared to London) and therefor easier to build the larger centres, even in a central location like Co-op and Safeway in the Beltline. I also don't think we have any neighbourhood (except maybe the Beltline) that has a population density high enough to justify the type of market you are describing unfortunately.

I hear what you are saying, and it probably is the reason. I'm just thinking about places like right downtown, in the base of an office building, for the lunch crowd etc, or Inglewood where there is no supermarket already. They really are aimed at the working person, not strictly the local resident.

MichaelS
Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
Well there is the Sunterra in the base of Keynote (and in Banker's Hall and TCPL). I don't know if Inglewood has enough people working there in the day to justify it (maybe, don't know the numbers).

AB Born
Oct 21, 2011, 5:33 AM
All of the Flat Iron Grill signs at Centennial Place & Chinook have been removed, anyone know what's going on?

Ramsayfarian
Oct 21, 2011, 2:26 PM
All of the Flat Iron Grill signs at Centennial Place & Chinook have been removed, anyone know what's going on?

The signs at Centennial have been down for sometime now. They did have a construction blog for Chinook, which I can't seem to find anymore either.

I'm only speculating but I think they bit off more than they could chew and had too many projects on the go which divided their focus. They also spent way too much money prepping their Lucid Square property which has also stalled out.

5seconds
Oct 21, 2011, 3:30 PM
I am doing some design work for a restaurant client, and I was literally just told that the Flat Iron Grill site at Chinook is going to be available because they are going out of business. This was second hand, so I'm not sure if the company is going down or just if that location is just being pulled, but I know our client want's that spot for a new location.

YYCguys
Oct 21, 2011, 3:34 PM
Their website lists Barlow Trail as their only location (next to the Toad n Turtle).

cityscape_enthusiast
Nov 17, 2011, 8:20 PM
Heard a rumour the other day that they are putting a Brick Furniture Store on 17th ave. Anyone know any truth to this? Does that mean there will be a best buy, sleep country and a brick all on 17th?

kw5150
Nov 17, 2011, 9:06 PM
Heard a rumour the other day that they are putting a Brick Furniture Store on 17th ave. Anyone know any truth to this? Does that mean there will be a best buy, sleep country and a brick all on 17th?

Interesting.......I guess we need to shop for stuff.......although, there isn't much at The Brick that fits into a small condo....

cityscape_enthusiast
Nov 17, 2011, 9:20 PM
Interesting.......I guess we need to shop for stuff.......although, there isn't much at The Brick that fits into a small condo....

Totally, very true, was more surprised about the info. I guess. I heard it's supposed to be a "Brick Urban" store, never seen/heard of one but it's supposed to compete with places like urban barn.

nick.flood
Nov 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
delete

kw5150
Nov 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
interesting......Well, the Brick is Albertan so its not half bad..........

DizzyEdge
Nov 17, 2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone know where? first floor of Best buy building?

fusili
Nov 17, 2011, 11:28 PM

Won't be there. There are a bunch of retail bays there and a restaurant IIRC.

MichaelS
Nov 18, 2011, 12:28 AM

Perhaps the new 1 storey building at 4th and 17th?

DizzyEdge
Nov 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

good call.

Calgarian
Nov 18, 2011, 6:15 PM
Question for some of the people here with some legal knowledge.

If you are at a bar that charges an automatic gratuity on large groups (usually 18%), and the service is terrible and definitely undeserving of that kind of gratuity, do you have to pay it?

Rusty van Reddick
Nov 18, 2011, 6:43 PM
Question for some of the people here with some legal knowledge.

If you are at a bar that charges an automatic gratuity on large groups (usually 18%), and the service is terrible and definitely undeserving of that kind of gratuity, do you have to pay it?

If you go to a restaurant and the food's terrible, do you have to pay for it? Same scenario. It's on the bill. If you want to argue it you take it to the manager and complain and hope he comps you or gives you something in recompense, but you can't just refuse to pay any more than you can refuse to pay for any good or service you're not happy with.

Also- tips support the entire staff, not just the servers. Customers need to understand this.

freeweed
Nov 18, 2011, 6:57 PM
Yeah, I don't think you can get out of this. The restaurant has told you up front what the cost is going to be, so legally you're obliged to pay it. You can discuss with management of course, and in many cases they'll work something out with you - but as Rusty mentions this is no different than the price of the food if you don't like it.

Unless there's some sort of fraud involved. Say they claim to be selling some fancy expensive dish but substitute a cheaper ingredient without your knowledge. You might be able to do something there.

Calgarian
Nov 18, 2011, 6:59 PM
I usually tip 15%, unless the service is terrible. If it's bad enough, then the rest of the staff can thank the waitress' poor attitude and preference to talking to her friends over doing her job, for the poor tip. Usually it will also include a talk with the manager, who can then explain it to the rest of the staff.

Calgarian
Nov 18, 2011, 7:01 PM
It is usually on the menu that they charge an automatic gratuity for groups larger that say, 8 people. But from my experience, the waitress never tells you, ever!

Innersoul1
Nov 18, 2011, 8:00 PM
I am doing some design work for a restaurant client, and I was literally just told that the Flat Iron Grill site at Chinook is going to be available because they are going out of business. This was second hand, so I'm not sure if the company is going down or just if that location is just being pulled, but I know our client want's that spot for a new location.

It would appear that the signange for Flatiron at Chinook is down. I wonder who will be going in. Also it would appear that a pub by the name of McSoreley's is taking over the Eastside Mario's space

DizzyEdge
Nov 18, 2011, 8:02 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01161/arts-graphics-2005_1161314a.jpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3640844/Cinemas-greatest-opening-scenes.html

fusili
Nov 18, 2011, 8:05 PM
Also- tips support the entire staff, not just the servers. Customers need to understand this.

I usually tip 15%, unless the service is terrible. If it's bad enough, then the rest of the staff can thank the waitress' poor attitude and preference to talking to her friends over doing her job, for the poor tip. Usually it will also include a talk with the manager, who can then explain it to the rest of the staff.

Thank for that. I worked as a server for 5 years getting myself through university and (part of) grad school. If you don't tip, the server loses money because they pay out everyone else (kitchen staff, hostesses, bartenders). Different restaurants have different tip out rates, but it usually works out to around 5%. Anything less than that and the server is basically paying you.

That being said, and having being a server for 5 years, I know what it actually takes and how much some servers bitch about the simplest tasks or any amount of actual work. If the food is bad, I don't punish the server with a bad tip (kitchen tips are automatic, they get them no matter the quality or speed of the food), nor if I have to wait (people who don't tip because they had to wait for a table are gigantic assholes), nor if they are busy (again, expecting fantastic service when the server has 8 tables and is getting smoked is kind of ridiculous). But if the service is obviously terrible, and if the server isn't busy and couldn't care less, I don't tip at all.

mersar
Nov 18, 2011, 10:41 PM

Unlikely. The rules allow the zero parking rule for ground floor CRU's in the Beltline, but only when the units are below a maximum size (200 square meters I believe). All the units in the new building at 17th and 4th are below this and as such the building requires no parking, but if they were to combine any two units it would exceed it and I can't see an Urban Brick store being only 200 sq meters.

kw5150
Nov 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
My range of tipping runs from 17 - 24% (love the %tip option). There is some really good service in Calgary. It's funny because I am the guy that rarely orders a drink with my meal and I just opt for water; so, immediately servers sometimes pass judgment and think I am a shitty tipper. Those servers still get their 17% but the ones who arent phased by me ordering a water get my full tip. Sometimes I just dont want a giant glass of sugar with my meal.

Innersoul1
Dec 15, 2011, 5:10 PM
I noticed a bus add today indicating that Victoria's Secret is going into Southcentre in the new year. I am curious to see if Market Mall will get a VS. The old Tommy Hilfiger seems like the perfect high profile location.

Doug_Cgy
Dec 15, 2011, 5:46 PM
I noticed a bus add today indicating that Victoria's Secret is going into Southcentre in the new year. I am curious to see if Market Mall will get a VS. The old Tommy Hilfiger seems like the perfect high profile location.

The Victoria's Secret in Southcentre is already open. It opened Nov. 3. I could see them set up shop in Market & Crossiron. Crossiron already has the PINK brand there, so it would seem like a good fit.

Innersoul1
Dec 15, 2011, 5:52 PM
The Victoria's Secret in Southcentre is already open. It opened Nov. 3. I could see them set up shop in Market & Crossiron. Crossiron already has the PINK brand there, so it would seem like a good fit.

I=Idiot.

I was thinking as I typed my original post: why would VS miss the bus on the Christmas rush lol

freeweed
Dec 15, 2011, 6:33 PM
My range of tipping runs from 17 - 24% (love the %tip option). There is some really good service in Calgary. It's funny because I am the guy that rarely orders a drink with my meal and I just opt for water; so, immediately servers sometimes pass judgment and think I am a shitty tipper. Those servers still get their 17% but the ones who arent phased by me ordering a water get my full tip. Sometimes I just dont want a giant glass of sugar with my meal.

I'm a 95% water drinker, and I drink a lot of it. My tipping habits really come down to how often they refill it when empty. Because I'm spending $0 on drinks, a good server who keeps my glass full gets a pretty damned large tip from me. But yeah, occasionally I get someone who assumes I'm just cheap and basically ignores me - welp, they'll learn eventually. I'm known to tell them to their face at the end of a meal.

Keep my water glass full and don't be surprised with a 50% tip. I've even had servers come back and double check that I haven't made a mistake. :haha:

SpongeG
Dec 16, 2011, 2:18 AM
has express opened yet? how is it?

Innersoul1
Dec 16, 2011, 5:09 PM
has express opened yet? how is it?

Yeah it's open! Pretty impressive although not as cheap as in the US and A. But pretty easy to drop $300 in a heartbeat!

SpongeG
Dec 17, 2011, 9:59 PM
nice, doesn't seem like they will be coming to vancouver anytime soon, i guess we have to stick with bellingham

AB Born
Dec 18, 2011, 12:47 AM
The 2 level Le Chateau at The CORE is now open.

jeffwhit
Dec 18, 2011, 2:44 AM
I am constantly amazed how much you guys care about women's fashion.

Jimby
Dec 18, 2011, 3:35 PM

because we have heard from afar that there is more to women's fashion than sweatpants and fleece jackets and ball caps, and we want to be encouraging to our womenfolk to step up their game!

freeweed
Dec 18, 2011, 3:54 PM

1. These stores sell men's clothes as well.

2. Some of us aren't single/gay. Trust me, you learn pretty fast to care about what stores the wife has available. :haha:

Innersoul1
Dec 18, 2011, 6:57 PM
The 2 level Le Chateau at The CORE is now open.

WOW! 2 whole floors of polyester!!?:jester:

SpongeG
Dec 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
how does that store survive - their pricing is way out of whack - i haven't checked in a couple years but last time i was there they had t-shirts for $45 same style/type/quality at H&M was $14.95

Plus15
Dec 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
Actually the new two-floor location of Le Chateau carries womens wear only - there is a separate Le Chateau Mens shop on +15. The two level store has a pretty nifty staircase inside with glass treads.

Other retail 'news' in Calgary:

-Birks has opened its renovated store at The Core - including a Rolex boutique with a separate storefront entrance.
-True Religion Jeans is opening an Outlet at Crossiron Mills
-Free People (a division of Anthropologie) is hiring for a new Calgary store which will be the first location in Canada, location unspecified
-The Bay at Market Mall and Southcentre have installed Coach sections