PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Mayoral Election

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

beanmedic
Oct 15, 2010, 8:55 AM
Martinus looked like the calm, cool voice of reason.

mattgrande
Oct 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
Strange that the two youngest candidates were the only two acting like adults!

Ned, Marvin, and James, what were you thinking?!

SteelTown
Oct 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
I really hope Martinus wins.

Martinus and Farr did well during the debate. It like Martinus was the facilitator during the debate.

omro
Oct 15, 2010, 2:37 PM
Are there any online streams of these debates?

SteelTown
Oct 15, 2010, 2:48 PM
Last night it was Ward 1, 2 and 3 debates.

http://www.cable14.com/mam/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=89

omro
Oct 15, 2010, 3:03 PM
Last night it was Ward 1, 2 and 3 debates.

http://www.cable14.com/mam/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=89

I don't have cable and would like to see the debate. I'd happily watch a stream with ads - is there such a thing?

Atticus
Oct 16, 2010, 4:55 AM
wow..spec poll...Bratina leads...could be a fun and wacky four years at City Wall..Rob Ford and Bob Bratina...the media will have a field day...

SteelTown
Oct 16, 2010, 2:22 PM
http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/6b/09/ffe8642d452ea6b3b1c641ab35e3.jpeg

Detail of poll results in PDF document
http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/acrobat/dd/9b/a0d4d72848f581aca0c53149c2eb.pdf

adam
Oct 16, 2010, 4:32 PM
I really hope Martinus wins.

Martinus and Farr did well during the debate. It like Martinus was the facilitator during the debate.

Farr had good things to say, but he seemed very angry and hostile during the Stinson School debate, this probably wouldn't go over very well in city hall. Ward 2 needs a facilitator to help gently yet firmly present ideas to council that are well thought out. Martinus showed that he can do that.

padthai
Oct 16, 2010, 8:20 PM
I wish some of the (relatively) younger candidates in ward 2 would drop out and back just one of their similar candidates. E.g. If two of Matt Jelly, Martinus Geleynse and Jason Farr backed one of the others, I think they could easily win. Their platforms are very similar. Although I know there's not much benefit to those that drop out - it would still be pretty cool.

emge
Oct 16, 2010, 11:58 PM
Farr's not exactly "young" except relative to the 46-55 crowd that hold a lot of the incumbent positions. I'm not too impressed by him, and it's not because of age group.

Election day will be interesting...

SteelTown
Oct 17, 2010, 9:13 PM
I've heard and seen both Di Ianni and Eisenberger platforms but I don't know about Bratina. There doesn't appear to be any platforms on Bratina's website, just general statements.

markbarbera
Oct 17, 2010, 11:54 PM
I am frustrated with the situation in Ward 2, my home ward. The field is full of johnny-come-latelies and I question their commitment to the ward itself. I suspect too many of those also-running see this opening as a political opportunity for themselves rather than a genuine desire to represent the residents of Ward 2.

I am placing my vote with Jim Novak. He's been a ward 2 resident for years and has a proven track record of community involvement. He's been on the ballot before so his desire to represent us goes beyond the current expediency of a ward with no incumbant, and he's someone I know understands the communities that make up Ward 2 from first hand experience and will serve us well.

I now step down from my soapbox.

mattgrande
Oct 18, 2010, 1:06 AM
Hamilton Seen just posted http://notlarry.com/ on Facebook with the following message:

Well thought out, but something like this without the creator's name kind of loses a bit of credibility. A quick search of whois shows the Admin Contact as Kevin Gamble, a quick look at his twitter shows him as a Larry hater and not specifically working for any particular candidate, though he is a web designer by trad...e. My favourite tweet of his : "@larryformayor It'd be good for you to remember my name, it will matter before Election Day. I guarantee it."

emge
Oct 18, 2010, 3:34 AM
I wasn't impressed by Novak when I met him... the first thing he did was bash another candidate. When I said it was nice to see his community accomplishments, but that I didn't see much of a platform, he said he wanted to "reveal that later" and didn't explain what his platform was. He also spoke against what he referred to as the "Setting SALES" plan.

I'm glad he has a history of involvement, but that's three things in one conversation that tell me he won't be much of a consensus-builder.

coalminecanary
Oct 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm liking Jelly for Ward2 - he actually cares about the entire city, has for a long time, and is the only one that I see putting the city (and ward) above any personal motivations.

He has donated a large chunk of his life to this city before an actual election run was ever in the works - and he has already personally effected more change in the last 4 years than any of our elected councillors.

Martinus seems to be coming from a good place, but he smacks of "career politician" and I fear that he will be worried far too much about his image and political future.

I believe Matt Jelly will not be afraid to put his name on the line so to speak, and confront any incumbent jokers on the tough issues. He'll call them out when necessary.

We desperately need a shake up, and any politician who sees this election as a career move is going to spend 4 years playing it safe with the status quo.

padthai
Oct 18, 2010, 1:11 PM
I can just picture it:
Bratina as mayor, Jelly in Ward 2. They don't exactly have the greatest history.

I see Matt's taken down his "Bob Bratina called me fat" post from this summer from his blog. I can't find the cached version - but it was a great, expletive-laced, back-and-forth email chain regarding arts projects. It was great seeing a concerned citizen like Matt take Bratina to task.

omro
Oct 18, 2010, 1:24 PM
I'd still like to see some of these debates, are they online anywhere at all?

coalminecanary
Oct 18, 2010, 2:08 PM
I was really on the fence with the mayor vote - Actually I was totally crippled with fear of DiIanni

But Bratina locked me in last week by voting against aerotropolis

How ANY of those jokers could vote for aerotropolis spending is beyond me. 350 million? and we are bickering over tens of millions for a stadium we don't need, but stamp a half billion on a business park we don't need and lets move on

Unreal!

bornagainbiking
Oct 19, 2010, 10:48 AM
What we got ain't working! Four yrs and still treading water, Spend spend spend on junk, airport expansion$$$$$$$$$, and heaven forbid the pan Am stadium $$$$$$$$. City Hall $$$$$$$$$$$$
Historically the RedHill was 50 yrs, half a century $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
So wipe the slate clean and start fresh, get rid of any long term do-nothings and keep the few good ones.
Ward 4 has more stop signs than some small countries.
March off the clowns.
I am looking for a leader who can make a decision,
I am leaning towards Bratina as the other two have had a kick at the cat.
Mayor Fred is OK but not strong enough to infuence or lead our dysfuntional council. Larry got caught and should not be afforded another opportunity.
I figure Bob will rattle the trees or shake the branches for at least 4 yrs.
Go Bob..... Get back to basics, Fix the city.
Do the foundation first before you buy nice furniture to sit in a living room with a leaky roof.

padthai
Oct 19, 2010, 3:00 PM
But tell us how you really feel Bornagainbiking!
$$$$$$$$

Anders Knudsen
Oct 19, 2010, 3:29 PM
so who do people think are in danger? I'd like to see a few changes - Pearson, Morelli, Mitchell, Jackson would be nice, Powers maybe. I'm betting Erik Hess in ward 2. Judi Partridge looks good in ward 15.

FRM
Oct 19, 2010, 3:47 PM
so who do people think are in danger? I'd like to see a few changes - Pearson, Morelli, Mitchell, Jackson would be nice, Powers maybe. I'm betting Erik Hess in ward 2. Judi Partridge looks good in ward 15.

I hope not, checking out his twitter feed kinda gives you an idea of what kinda person he is and what kidna job he'll do. i'm split between jelly or geleynzie

coalminecanary
Oct 19, 2010, 3:48 PM
I also feel, issues aside, that the best thing for Hamilton right now is to just turf as many old boys as possible, even if the newcomers might not be effective leaders.

One term of "shake up" is exactly what this city needs.

I say Bob for Mayor and ANY newcomer for ward councillors.

The only exception in my mind is Ward 1 since McHattie has consistently demonstrated a strong desire to work for the entire city's benefit, and both of his competitors appear to be in the race purely out of anger at parking meters and bike lanes... like, grow up.

SteelTown
Oct 19, 2010, 3:57 PM
I think Chad Collins might be in danger in this round.

I doubt we will see new faces other than in Ward 2, 5 and Ward 15. Maybe just maybe Ward 3 and 7.

coalminecanary
Oct 19, 2010, 3:58 PM
I hope not, checking out his twitter feed kinda gives you an idea of what kinda person he is and what kidna job he'll do. i'm split between jelly or geleynzie

We need young blood in council and Ward 2 will hopefully deliver.

Erik Hess knocked on our door despite the Jelly sign and said that he has similar views to Matt's but we might want to consider voting for someone with more experience.

He seemed nice and all but I will be honest - after years and years of old white men and backroom deals, what I am looking for is LESS political experience and MORE passion for the city. We need to drag this city out of the past and hurl it into the future because we have a lot of lost ground to make up. This is only going to happen with fresh faces and fresh ideas.

I like both Matt Jelly and Martinus but as I said before, I am backing Jelly because he truly has the interests of the city, and especially the core at heart and his political motivations are tiny compared to his civic motivations. I believe this has been made clear through his past selfless actions (starting years before he even thought about campaigning)

Martinus on the other hand seems to be heading down a career politician path and I also get a feeling of self-promotion from him, almost as if he is using the election to promote himself as a businessman just as much as himself as a candidate and worry that the city's interest would take a back seat to self interest down the road. Of course this is all just my feeling, I could be wrong.

Jelly gives me a much better feeling as far as city-interests-above-all-else

This will be an interesting race indeed!

SteelTown
Oct 19, 2010, 4:05 PM
Who do you think the Spec will endorse on Saturday?

I have a hunch it might be Bratina.

padthai
Oct 19, 2010, 5:04 PM
after years and years of old white men and backroom deals, what I am looking for is LESS political experience and MORE passion for the city.

Wholeheartedly agree with you there, coalminecanary. I'll be voting for one of the fresh faces in Ward 2.

SteelTown
Oct 19, 2010, 7:13 PM
There's currently a Mayoral debate at the McMaster student centre. Top three is in attendance, actually all lumped together on one side of the table.

mattgrande
Oct 19, 2010, 7:29 PM
I also feel, issues aside, that the best thing for Hamilton right now is to just turf as many old boys as possible, even if the newcomers might not be effective leaders.

YES, exactly! I hear so many people talking about experience... How long will it take to get used to the format of council meetings? How long will it take to learn how to properly phrase a motion? I'm guessing a few months, tops. Experience isn't the most important thing, the ideas are. (Also, being a people-person).

Mitchell's not going anywhere. His two competitors are from Winnona, and won't pick up many votes in Glanbrook / Mount Hope. I don't like Mitchell's ideas usually, but I do like his no-bullshit, let's-get-this-done, attitude.

markbarbera
Oct 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
We need young blood in council and Ward 2 will hopefully deliver.

Erik Hess knocked on our door despite the Jelly sign and said that he has similar views to Matt's but we might want to consider voting for someone with more experience.

He seemed nice and all but I will be honest - after years and years of old white men and backroom deals, what I am looking for is LESS political experience and MORE passion for the city. We need to drag this city out of the past and hurl it into the future because we have a lot of lost ground to make up. This is only going to happen with fresh faces and fresh ideas.

I like both Matt Jelly and Martinus but as I said before, I am backing Jelly because he truly has the interests of the city, and especially the core at heart and his political motivations are tiny compared to his civic motivations. I believe this has been made clear through his past selfless actions (starting years before he even thought about campaigning)

Martinus on the other hand seems to be heading down a career politician path and I also get a feeling of self-promotion from him, almost as if he is using the election to promote himself as a businessman just as much as himself as a candidate and worry that the city's interest would take a back seat to self interest down the road. Of course this is all just my feeling, I could be wrong.

Jelly gives me a much better feeling as far as city-interests-above-all-else

This will be an interesting race indeed!

Wholeheartedly agree with you there, coalminecanary. I'll be voting for one of the fresh faces in Ward 2.

I don't buy into the reasoning that a fresh face somehow equates with how young the candidate is. If you want to replace council with a new perspective, this can be done regardless the age of the candidate. For me it is far more important to have a proven track record of community service within the ward. And I certainly won't be voting for someone who does not live in my ward.

Back in the day, Chad Collins and Sam Merulla were considered young and fresh-faced when first voted to office. Collins is the epitome of career politician, being the second generation representative for that ward, leaving the Collins clan with a slight whif of establishment and entitlement. IMO the career politician is what is rendering council ineffective, as they are not likely to make the difficult calls and are inclined to defer decision ad naseum to preserve their hold in office - or will make decisions to preserve popularity within the ward even if it is at the expense of the good of the entire city. Then you have Merulla, classic grandstander and chaser of the sound bite. I really don't think we should be sending another another grandstander or career politician to council, unless of course we want to maintain the status quo.

Jon D
Oct 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
So I'm not a resident of hamilton....yet. But I will be as of October 28th, that's when the deal on a condo I bought closes. Anyone know if I'd be eligible to vote in the election?

realcity
Oct 20, 2010, 1:47 AM
I think You'll at least have to show a hydro or gas bill to vote...

Anders Knudsen
Oct 20, 2010, 1:57 AM
the main thing we need is leadership. Bratina was always the guy suggesting we do X when everyone else was debating A vs B. I was increasingly impressed by Eisenberger in this respect.

The biggest obstacle is the entrenched, career politician mentality Mark describes. It's epitomized in the councilors who could care less about the city and only want to fill potholes in their ward to maintain their salaries. I'd be all for term limits if there was actually any viable competition for some of these spots, but when overachievers like Pasuta or Mitchell can glide through then you know that'll never work. Who will replace Collins? Rukavina doesn't live in the ward and appears to be hoping conservative affiliations will carry him through. Stacey and Bedi don't set off any fireworks for me.

matt602
Oct 20, 2010, 2:05 AM
I don't think so. You'll at least have to show a hydro or gas bill to vote... I think. I don't have my voting card yet either. I'm ward 3 for just over a year. So who knows? please tell us.

If you don't get a voter card, bring proof of residency (utility bill @ Hamilton address) and photo ID to a polling station.

Anders Knudsen
Oct 20, 2010, 2:08 AM
So I'm not a resident of hamilton....yet. But I will be as of October 28th, that's when the deal on a condo I bought closes. Anyone know if I'd be eligible to vote in the election?

you need to be a resident as of Oct 25! So close! You'd need something showing your qualifying address, like your mortgage agreement.

http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/CorporateServices/Clerks/MunicipalElection/tf.htm

realcity
Oct 20, 2010, 2:10 AM
As of today. I'm voting Tetley and Bratina.

realcity
Oct 20, 2010, 2:18 AM
my current school trustee... Simmons... has yet to respond to my email on Oct 17 regarding his position on a downtown Board of Ed Square. It doesn't seem like he'll reply.

Jon D
Oct 20, 2010, 2:53 AM
you need to be a resident as of Oct 25! So close! You'd need something showing your qualifying address, like your mortgage agreement.

http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/CorporateServices/Clerks/MunicipalElection/tf.htm

Well I do already have the mortgage agreement - but it's dated 3 days too late! Maybe I'll just show up to a polling station on the 25th and keep my thumb covering the date...shhhh, don't tell anyone.

emge
Oct 20, 2010, 3:41 AM
Ward 2 will be interesting. Different parts will have a preponderance of different names -- and I find it really hard to determine who might win.

I was most impressed by Paul Casey and least impressed by James Novak so far, though I've met a few more. Erik Hess has done good stuff for the BIA but I don't think beyond a certain geographical area he has the votes, and Hess Financial's clients generally don't live in the ward.

While I think both would do well as councillors and shake things up, I'd pick Gelesyne over Jelly in Ward 2 for me... both nice guys, both good platforms, both with leadership qualities -- but Gelensye has more expertise in areas that matter to me on the business side.

mattgrande
Oct 20, 2010, 4:12 AM
I wasn't impressed with Casey, and I find Novak, Caplan, and Janjic to be very irritating.

I'm voting for Matt Jelly, mostly for his previous works (Garbage Crawl, Bylaw Crawl, etc). Martinus seems like a politician to me, and if we want to "shake things up," maybe we shouldn't vote for a future career politician?

emge
Oct 20, 2010, 5:07 AM
Fair enough. I guess I see Martinus as better able to build consensus - but more importantly as someone better poised to build creative business, specifically within Ward 2

There's other, valid reasons to prioritize Jelly and vote for him over Gelensye but I made my choice based on the single area I think matters most within the next four years. However, Jelly's platform is well-articulated and very ambitious.

markbarbera
Oct 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
Truth be told, there is very little difference between the platforms presented by Jelly, Gelynse and Novak.

I find Martinus likeable but I find him too pre-packaged. I haven't been able to clarify in my mind if he is motivated to serve on council or to serve ward 2 residents as his councillor - to me there is an important difference between the two. I would feel better about him if he had the years of commitment to the ward behind him like Novak does. Does he even live in Ward 2? I thought he was a Ward 1 resident.

For me, image engineering is a big turnoff. When Matt Jelly lost the beard and donned the business suit I felt like he was compromising who he was to try to achieve more 'voter appeal'.

IMO Jim Novak's years of actual active community involvement within Ward 2 give him an advantage over the others with regards to understanding and representing the needs unique to the people that live here. I want someone not only with the right ideas, I want someone who knows what has to be done to make those ideas a reality, which is why I am voting Novak.

SteelTown
Oct 20, 2010, 1:04 PM
There's obviously going to be a lot of split voting during this election, especially for Ward 2.

Jelly, Gelynse, Hess, Marvin and Novak will all split the votes. You'll need name recognition to get a head and that's why I'm predicting Farr might pull ahead in Ward 2.

Same for the Mayoral race, Di Ianni may be third in the polls but Eisenberger and Bratina will split the votes and Di Ianni could sneak right up to the front. It'll all come down to getting your people to the polls to win.

BrianE
Oct 20, 2010, 1:07 PM
As of today. I'm voting Tetley and Bratina.

Me too.

I'm pretty sure Morelli will still win this year however. It takes time and real community involvment to over turn a candidate that got 75% of the vote in the previous election and I'm not sure that can be done in the ver next election.

Also anybody that's giving up on Morelli is splitting their votes between Sean Gibson, Paul Tetley and Mark Demillio.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised on the 25th but appathy runs rampant in Ward 3.

markbarbera
Oct 20, 2010, 1:13 PM
There's obviously going to be a lot of split voting during this election, especially for Ward 2.

Jelly, Gelynse, Hess, Marvin and Novak will all split the votes. You'll need name recognition to get a head and that's why I'm predicting Farr might pull ahead in Ward 2.

Same for the Mayoral race, Di Ianni may be third in the polls but Eisenberger and Bratina will split the votes and Di Ianni could sneak right up to the front. It'll all come down to getting your people to the polls to win.

Given the dynamics of the ballot in Ward 2, a winner can theoretically emerge with less than 10% of the vote - in a riding where voter turnout is already disturbingly low at just under 32%. Now that's depressing.

BrianE
Oct 20, 2010, 1:13 PM
Same for the Mayoral race, Di Ianni may be third in the polls but Eisenberger and Bratina will split the votes and Di Ianni could sneak right up to the front.

I'm seeing it the opposite way. People who are dissenfranchised with Eisenberger (me) and know that you can't replicate the past with a vote for Dianni are going to the valid 3rd option. And the chances are that if anybody has a beef with voting for Dianni they most likely can't stand Eisenberger either.

markbarbera
Oct 20, 2010, 1:22 PM
I'm seeing it the opposite way. People who are dissenfranchised with Eisenberger (me) and know that you can't replicate the past with a vote for Dianni are going to the valid 3rd option. And the chances are that if anybody has a beef with voting for Dianni they most likely can't stand Eisenberger either.

Agreed. There is a real desire for change in the mayor's seat, and Di Ianni is already identified as somene who has already had his chance in that seat. While there is some merit to the argument that Bratina and Eisenberger may split the inner city vote, Bratina has strength in the outer ring that will work to his advantage. Once more, he is comfortably leading the others in the demographics of older voters, who also happen to be the group most likely to actually vote.

SteelTown
Oct 20, 2010, 1:55 PM
Mayor Fred's platform

http://www.votemayorfred.ca/blog/freds-platform

SteelTown
Oct 20, 2010, 1:57 PM
JRl5rxoqpw4

SteelTown
Oct 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
So what do you think of Bob Bratina's position of advocating a North-South LRT (Downtown to Airport (even though he voted against employment land around the Airport)) first over the East-West LRT (B-Line)?

matt602
Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 AM
I think it has confirmed my decision to vote for Fred again.

markbarbera
Oct 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
Why? How can north/south LRT be a bad thing? Bob may have voted against AEGD, but he recognizes it has now been adopted by council and is a reality. Proper transit to serve the employment area should be part of the overall plan for the district. A sophisticated transit connection will help attract a sophisticated employment market. And LRT from the mountain to downtown will help bring people into the city and acts a a urban/suburban connect (both physically and psychologically).

I don't think Bratina is suggesting north/south LRT should be built instead of or before the east/west line is built. I have heard him suggest A-line should also be considered for LRT as well as B-Line. I'll fire off an email to his campaign to ask for clarification and will post any response I get here.

highwater
Oct 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
Why? How can north/south LRT be a bad thing?

I think you're being disingenuous. Bratina has advocated prioritizing the A line over the B line. That would be a bad thing.

Anders Knudsen
Oct 21, 2010, 1:09 PM
So what do you think of Bob Bratina's position of advocating a North-South LRT (Downtown to Airport (even though he voted against employment land around the Airport)) first over the East-West LRT (B-Line)?

More pie in the sky. Put city hall in the civic centre. Tear down John A for a new stadium. De-amalgamate. Sell the Lister and Federal buildings to Vrancor. At least there'll be a big party in Hess village if he wins.

markbarbera
Oct 21, 2010, 1:44 PM
I think you're being disingenuous. Bratina has advocated prioritizing the A line over the B line. That would be a bad thing.

As I have said, my interpretation of Bratina's comments was that his desire to consider LRT on A-line is not at the expense of the B-line as his opponents are trying to portray. I have asked for clarification from the Bratina campaign on his position on LRT and will post the response here. Why not allow me to get a clarification from the Bratina campaign before accusing me of being disingenuous?

Frankly, the other mayoral campaigns are scambling to represent Bratina as some east/west LRT killer in a frantic attempt to make something negative stick to Bratina's campaign. Not sure why they would go with this topic though, seeing that the voting public is completely disinterested in the LRT as it stands.

Bratina has always been the strongest advocate for higher order rail transit on council, long before Eisenberger and Di Ianni discovered its sexiness. To try to protray him as a transit killer is, well, disingenuous, and is an act of desperation from the other candidates' campaigns.

paleale2
Oct 21, 2010, 7:55 PM
Mark.........

Bob does appear to be advocating the A line first, over the B line.
I watched the cable 14 broadcast of the prospective mayors debate on Bill Kelly's CHML show Tuesday night , and he said exactly that.

His words were in a nutshell......why are we considering and east west line, when future employment lands will be at the airport. He certainly sounds like this is now his preferred initial LRT line for Hamilton........

......perhaps we should wait until tomorrow though......there is a fairly good chance Bob will change his mind!!!!!!!!

markbarbera
Oct 22, 2010, 2:55 AM
While I haven't heard from the Bratina campaign for clarification yet, I did manage to contact Dan Nolan, who covered Tuesday's debate at the convention centre for the Spec (http://www.thespec.com/news/elections/article/268902--bratina-for-airport-rail-line), the debate where Bratina suggested that the A-Line should be LRT.

I asked him to clarify if Bratina had suggested that east/west LRT be scrapped and be replaced with a north-south LRT route, if he had said the north-south route should be a higher priority than the east-west route, or if he said the route should be considered as well as the east-west route. Nolan replied that Bratina was referring to both routes.

Is everyone clear on that now? Not LRT on A-Line instead of B-Line, not LRT on A-Line before B-Line, but LRT for both routes.

It looks like the sleazy campaign tactic of fear mongering is rearing its ugly head. I imagine dailies for the other campaigns must be pretty bleak for them for this to creep up - and it is sad to see the misinformation propogated online.

Hopefully this will lay to rest the unfounded allegation that Bob is looking to kill LRT on the B-Line and put it on A-Line instead.

SteelTown
Oct 22, 2010, 3:17 AM
Don't believe anyone is suggesting that Bratina wants to kill the B-Line LRT.

markhornich
Oct 22, 2010, 5:57 AM
isn't that the plan anyways? if they spent all the time and money on BLAST, why should it be a topic of discussion that the A line should go next after the B line.

I thought the BLAST plan dictated B line and A line are top priorities, and then the Mohawk line someday, then Rymal/Centennial someday later, and then possibly Waterdown some far away day.

I feel like it's all in Metrolinx's power at the end of the day anyways.

markbarbera
Oct 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
The city's BLAST routes were all originally planned to be a series of BRT routes, not LRT, so no LRT along all these routes was never the plan. LRT has only been discussed along the B-line. Bratina wants to review it for A-line as well.

markbarbera
Oct 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
Don't believe anyone is suggesting that Bratina wants to kill the B-Line LRT.

Jason Leach wrote a column on the RTH site claiming that Bob Bratina stated at the October 19 all candidates' meeting that we "should consider scrapping the planned east-west LRT and do a north-south line instead". This statement is at best disingenuous. Shortly after that article was posted there, the misinformation has propogated here as well.

I sought out and received clarification from a "real" journalist who covered the debate for the Spec so to set the record straight here. Whether anyone at RTH seeks to correct the misinformation there is their perogative, but I hope for the sake of their journalistic credibility they do move to clarify exactly what Bob said at that meeting.

SteelTown
Oct 22, 2010, 1:00 PM
I've met two councilors and both have told me they too would like to see the A-Line built first over the B-Line.

mattgrande
Oct 22, 2010, 1:29 PM
Any thoughts on how the LRT will scale the escarpment? I'd love to see something like the old incline rail lines, but I kinda doubt it.

ryan_mcgreal
Oct 22, 2010, 1:56 PM
Is everyone clear on that now? Not LRT on A-Line instead of B-Line, not LRT on A-Line before B-Line, but LRT for both routes.

First of all, it's already the City's position that LRT will go on the east-west and north-south line, with the east-west line built first and the north-south line built after. Bratina is hardly proposing anything new. The Ontario Liberals ran for re-election back in 2007 with the promise of two light rail lines in Hamilton (http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2007/12/c8111.html), and the City's Rapid Transit site (http://www.hamilton.ca/ProjectsInitiatives/RapidTransit/) clearly identifies the B-Line as the first rapid transit priority and the A-Line as the second priority.

Second, I listened to the CHML mayoral debate and Bratina clearly said that he wants to build the north-south first, given that Council has approved the AEGD.

The important thing to remember is that staff are already a couple of years into the planning, development and design process on the east-west line, supported this year with a $3 million provincial grant. The proposed routing already has the benefit of extensive research by experienced, professional third-party transportation planners.

If we decide now to shift focus and prioritize a north-south line first, that means going back to square one - and moving way down in the Metrolinx priority list.

A decision to prioritize a north-south line over an east-west line is effectively a decision to kill LRT in Hamilton for the forseeable future.

Nords
Oct 22, 2010, 1:57 PM
So if Bratina thinks both A and B are both priorities, that's fine and a good position. However, it is pretty clear that the B line gives us the most immediate gains (existing density, already high ridership, connections from McMaster, linkages to other major activitiy centres like Eastgate, Innovation Park, maybe close to the stadium, etc.). My concern is that if we present to Metrolinx that now we demand funding for both lines then we won't get anything. With funding now tight at all levels of government, there's no chance of getting immediate funding for both lines. Besides, didn't Council already vote to study in detail first the B line? I think A line studies are coming along though, but if we wait until A line catches up we could lose the momentum we have on the B line.

I know Bob is trying to differentiate him from Eisenberger and all, but it is a bit of a confusing position and any further delay in Hamilton for more studies could mean we lose the next round of Metrolinx funding.

markbarbera
Oct 22, 2010, 6:01 PM
First of all, it's already the City's position that LRT will go on the east-west and north-south line, with the east-west line built first and the north-south line built after. Bratina is hardly proposing anything new. The Ontario Liberals ran for re-election back in 2007 with the promise of two light rail lines in Hamilton (http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2007/12/c8111.html), and the City's Rapid Transit site (http://www.hamilton.ca/ProjectsInitiatives/RapidTransit/) clearly identifies the B-Line as the first rapid transit priority and the A-Line as the second priority.

Second, I listened to the CHML mayoral debate and Bratina clearly said that he wants to build the north-south first, given that Council has approved the AEGD.

The important thing to remember is that staff are already a couple of years into the planning, development and design process on the east-west line, supported this year with a $3 million provincial grant. The proposed routing already has the benefit of extensive research by experienced, professional third-party transportation planners.

If we decide now to shift focus and prioritize a north-south line first, that means going back to square one - and moving way down in the Metrolinx priority list.

A decision to prioritize a north-south line over an east-west line is effectively a decision to kill LRT in Hamilton for the forseeable future.

To be quite clear, what Bob Bratina said in the CHML debate (available for viewing here (http://www.900chml.com/VideoChannel/View.aspx?PostID=31934)- about 6 mins into segment 4) is that, given the recent adoption of AEGD by council, the city should "re-examine the routing and determine that a link to the airport, if that's where we're going with our employment lands, has to be the priority". He is not saying to scrap the east-west line and build the north-south line instead.

If it should be determined that a link to AEGD should be given priority, why is it being assumed this means the B-Line would be ditched in favour of the A-Line? Routing of the first phase of LRT development in Hamilton does not (nor should it be) restricted exclusively to either an east-west or a north-south route. IMO it makes much more sense to have the first phase of LRT incorporate portions of both the A-Line and B-Line.

For example, the first phase can build LRT along the B-Line from Mac to downtown (or as far east as Ottawa Street), and along the A-Line from downtown to the airport. This would also allow for the positioning of maintenance facilities at or near the existing HSR maintenance facility on the mountain. A second phase can then complete the eastern leg of the B-Line, and extend B-Line north from downtown.

I don't agree with the defeatist mindset that a reassesment of route priorities will kill LRT in Hamilton. Frankly, there too many instances of this city doing on-the-fly planning. There are new realities that have to be considered, and transit planning for AEGD must not be ignored simply because planning for the B-Line is already underway.

highwater
Oct 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
Sat Oct 23 2010

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/columns/article/269880--the-best-man-to-be-mayor

The difficulty in deciding who to endorse for the job of mayor of Hamilton is not the absence of credible candidates. Of the 15 people seeking the job, three are credible, experienced and qualified. Others in the field have demonstrated potential, but lack the background to lead a $1.2-billion nonprofit corporation.

Outgoing Ward 2 Councillor Bob Bratina, former mayor Larry Di Ianni and incumbent Fred Eisenberger do have the requisite experience. But who is best suited to lead the city for the next four years? We examined platforms and drew on our editorial board meetings with each, as well as our understanding and interpretation of their respective track records.

Bob Bratina has strong populist appeal. But his platform is long on generalities and platitudes. He will “provide real and effective leadership,” create “employment opportunities”, and demonstrate “fiscal responsibility …” Specifically, he wants to promote the development of the north industrial corridor to spur economic growth. He would pursue light rail, but wants it to run to the airport rather than downtown ...

markbarbera
Oct 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
The Spec editorial department is entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong or misinformed it may be.

And what a ridiculous comment that is, conveniently highlighted in red for all to see! The A-Line may have the airport at one end, but it has the downtown at the other. This is systematic scare mongering sleaze politics. Thank goodness no-one really cares what the editorial board of the Spec has to say anymore.

Anders Knudsen
Oct 23, 2010, 2:02 PM
I think it's a well argued stance. The A line does have downtown at one end, but at the other end is an underused airport that will be surrounded by warehouses housing very few workers. The AEGD is a shaky proposition on its own terms, much less an argument for a major transit line. It would be the equivalent of prioritizing a Toronto to Pearson transit line when you don't have a Yonge-University-Spadina line yet. It doesn't matter if Bratina's not arguing for ditching the B line, as long as he's arguing for prioritizing the A line then he's just mouthing more of the same flutterballs he's been pitching for the last 6 years.

markbarbera
Oct 23, 2010, 3:25 PM
Richard Koroscil, CEO of Hamilton Airport, sits on the Board of Directors of Metrolinx. Including the airport in initial LRT plans could very well aid in getting initial LRT cash flowing from Metrolinx.

LRT serving the AEGD will aid in it developing into something more sophisticated than just warehousing, decent employment like like the Ornge Transport Medicine Centre of Excellence that's on its way to YHM. (Of course this would work against the desires of AEGD distractors who would very much rather see it fail - all the while embracing one of its biggest supporters, Mayor Fred Himself)

If this is what you consider flutterball, then I say mouthe on!

emge
Oct 24, 2010, 12:41 AM
If the AEGD gets built (and it will) going ahead with LRT as planned isn't much of a stretch.

Bratina's comments on prioritizing an A-line over a B-line are fairly vague/innocuous at this point.

However, if he gets in as mayor and decides to pursue prioritizing the A-line, that could be a piece works towards compromising the entire funding picture for LRT.

A-line is a good idea, and with the AEGD it does correlate even better, but the concept of building it first over a B-line has pretty shaky support.

SteelTown
Oct 24, 2010, 6:06 PM
Now that an election is nearing the end anyone want to make predictions for the next Mayor and councilor?

omro
Oct 24, 2010, 7:14 PM
If it's not Bratina, I will be shocked. Fred will be second choice.

As for councillor most of the old faces will be back. I expect to see Tetley replace Morelli. Ward 2 will be a name no one suspects.

bornagainbiking
Oct 24, 2010, 8:51 PM
Bratina I hope, we need someone to stand up to the three amigos (3,4,5). If Tetley gets in tow to go.
Bratina is or appears to be passionate, the other two had a crack at it and we seem no further along.:tup:

matt602
Oct 25, 2010, 2:24 AM
It'll be Bratina or Fred again. I doubt Larry has much of a chance. A lot of voters jumped ship on Fred but I doubt too many switched to the DiIanni camp. For councilors I think McHattie will retain Ward 1, Ward 2 is honestly anyone's guess. I can't really see any solid lead by anyone. Ward 3 will almost undoubtedly be Morelli, incredibly unfortunately. Merulla will keep Ward 4 as well, which I think is also unfortunate but there isn't really anyone competent running against him.

Not sure about the other city wards as I don't frequent those areas.

bigguy1231
Oct 25, 2010, 3:06 AM
When it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter who gets elected as Mayor, he is only one vote on council. With Mayor it's a matter of who you want to be the frontman for the city. Essentially the face of the city to the outside world.

I like Fred, and fully intended to vote for him, but when I voted at the advance poll last week I changed my mind and voted for DiIanni. Not because I think his policies are any better than anyone elses, but because I prefer him as the frontman for this city. Plus he has more connections to the upper levels of government than the other 2 frontrunners which could benefit this city. Fred is just too laid back and Bratina is just too over the top.

As for councillors, I think there will be a few surprises, but for the most part things will remain the same. We will have a couple of new councillors for sure, due to openings created by Bratina and McCarthy and I think a couple of the incumbants will go down to defeat. The majority will get re elected.

Things usually don't change much in municipal elections unless someone screws up bad enough to get people out to vote. Other than the stadium issue that has been blown way out of proportion there really isn't anything else that will get people out to vote.

Jon Dalton
Oct 25, 2010, 4:41 AM
Fred Eisenberger for mayor
Brian McHattie for ward 1
Matt Jelly for ward 2
Paul Tetley for ward 3

paleale2
Oct 25, 2010, 5:59 AM
The best man to be mayor
EISENBERGER
Fred Eisenber has been endorsed by the Hamilton Spectator.

The difficulty in deciding who to endorse for the job of mayor of Hamilton is not the absence of credible candidates. Of the 15 people seeking the job, three are credible, experienced and qualified. Others in the field have demonstrated potential, but lack the background to lead a $1.2-billion nonprofit corporation.

Outgoing Ward 2 Councillor Bob Bratina, former mayor Larry Di Ianni and incumbent Fred Eisenberger do have the requisite experience. But who is best suited to lead the city for the next four years? We examined platforms and drew on our editorial board meetings with each, as well as our understanding and interpretation of their respective track records.

Bob Bratina has strong populist appeal. But his platform is long on generalities and platitudes. He will “provide real and effective leadership,” create “employment opportunities,” and demonstrate “fiscal responsibility …” Specifically, he wants to promote the development of the north industrial corridor to spur economic growth. He would pursue light rail, but wants it to run to the airport rather than downtown.

Our big issue with Bratina is his commitment to revisit amalgamation. He is quick to say he only wants to “confront the divisions created by forced amalgamation …” But he also told columnist Andrew Dreschel that “deamalgamation is one of the possible outcomes of how we review the municipality’s structures …,” and has made other references that suggest he thinks unscrambling the egg is quite possible. That might be good politics, but it’s bad public policy. There are issues with equity in the city, and they need to be addressed. But deamalgamation is not the answer. Bratina wants to be mayor of the city, but is willing to consider dismantling it. That makes no sense.

Larry Di Ianni calls for more collaboration on brownfield redevelopment, a hotel incentive program, an arm’s-length private-public economic development corporation, aggressive pursuit of light rail and a freeze on property taxes. We like much of what Di Ianni has to say, but it breaks down in a couple of key places. Poverty remains one of the most serious issues facing Hamilton, as evidenced in the Code Red report, which shows active poverty reduction and mitigation efforts are critical. Di Ianni’s platform does not mention poverty. We understand the appeal of a tax freeze, but share the view that an outright freeze is impractical, and would result in service cuts, some of which would target our most vulnerable citizens. We also don’t agree with the creation of an arm’s-length economic development corporation. Hamilton’s economic development department has demonstrated much improvement and tangible results. It has been recognized as one of the best in the country. Quite simply, it’s not a model that needs to be fixed. Another sticking point is that Di Ianni would revisit the one-garbage bag per household policy, taking a step backward by raising that limit. The policy is a sign of success and progress that should not be set aside.

Fred Eisenberger lacks Bratina’s folksy appeal. He doesn’t have Di Ianni’s charismatic, easy charm. But leading Hamilton in this day and age isn’t about style. It’s about substance, and on that score, Eisenberger is the best option available, in our view.

His platform and track record reflect, for the most part, what our editorial board believes. He believes in the fight against poverty in Hamilton, which continues to be a major hurdle in the city’s evolution, and pledges to develop a universal nutrition program in schools, a practical and praiseworthy step in that fight. He, too, will vigorously pursue LRT and other prosperity-driving opportunities. He can share in the credit for recent successes enjoyed by the economic development department, such as the $100-million Canada Bread investment at Red Hill Business Park and full occupancy at Ancaster Industrial Business Park. He presided over the hiring of the city’s first integrity commissioner and the resolution of the Lister Block restoration project.

Eisenberger’s approach to the tax issue would see a gradual reduction, beginning with a 1.5 per cent increase in 2011, 1 per cent in 2012 and zero after that. While all of us would appreciate a quicker move to zero, this one has the best chance of succeeding, and without resulting in traumatic cuts to service delivery.

Eisenberger’s critics argue he hasn’t handled the stadium mess well, and that’s true. While he was correct in crusading for the west harbour location, he was too slow to recognize the site won’t work if the Tiger-Cats refuse to do business there, regardless of the merits of their position. But timing is everything. Bad as the stadium mess is, it’s no worse than the Maple Leaf Foods debacle in 2005, when the company wanted to establish a processing plant in Glanbrook that would have created hundreds of jobs, about $9 million in annual tax and revenue benefits, $1.5 million in one-time permit and development charges. A split city council, led by then-mayor Di Ianni, could not come together to support the opportunity, and it was lost. Then-councillor Bratina was against the proposal. About the only difference in these two failures is the Maple Leaf plant would have been of more economic benefit to the city than a stadium, and the embarrassing episode didn’t take place on the eve of local elections.

Eisenberger has flaws as a leader. But they are not as bad as his critics argue. And while the first year of his mayoralty was shaky, he grew into the job in the second, third and most of the fourth year, until the stadium issue blew up. His track record other than that is solid and showing signs of getting better. In our view he has earned another term.

Howard Elliott

emge
Oct 25, 2010, 6:28 AM
My guess is either Eisenberger or Bratina for mayor, there's been a lot less DiIanni support than I thought this go-round and Bratina's given an alternative to disgruntled voters they like better, especially with the deamalgamation talk.

Ward 2's a crapshoot. Maybe James Novak if his past involvement in the ward gives him an advantage, maybe Matt Jelly. Possibly Martinus (who got my vote) but I don't think so. It'll be a surprise and possibly none of these 3. Jason Farr has a modicum of name recognition but next-to-no platform or local involvement, I'd be surprised if he won.

Ward 3 will likely be Morelli though I'd like to see a change.

That's all I've got for predictions... we'll see!

markbarbera
Oct 25, 2010, 10:51 AM
Predicting the next Mayor is difficult to say. Conventional wisdom at the start of the race would say Di Ianni and Bratina will split the vote of discontent, giving Eisenberger the opportunity to slip up the middle. But Fred's support level is way down from the last go. The Spec poll shows the swing vote is away from him leaving him with mainly his core supporters and little room for growth (mind you he has the largest group of core supporters of the three leaders).

It's pretty clear there is palpable dissatisfaction with city hall has performed the past four years, and how that dissatisfied vote spreads itself will be the deciding factor. The question is how much of the swing vote has kept with Bratina since the Spec poll and how much has shifted elsewhere. Bratina held his own in the past week campaign-wise, and neither of the other two have had a breakawy advantage materialize, so not much has happened to make those Nanos poll numbers shift.
It's going to come down to who has the machine to get the vote out. If Bob had not run, this would have been the Di Ianni comeback story. Instead it's going to be an interesting night, and the vote is too close to call. But I am going to go out on a limb and predict Bratina will top the heap. But I am prepared for the possibilty of having to eat crow in 14 hours' time.

padthai
Oct 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
I can tell you that Matteo Gentile hasn't exactly been endearing me to him in Ward 2 with the robo-calls I've received from him over the course of this campaign...

I'm on the Do Not Call Registry...how is that allowed?

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 1:10 PM
Election calls are exempt from the Do Not Call list.

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 1:13 PM
You can see where Di Ianni is really putting all his effort with signs and flyers, West Mountain. Signs even on the Linc.

Nords
Oct 25, 2010, 1:49 PM
It was cute to see Mr. Tony waving at cars this morning at Main and Dundurn. Even though I'm voting for McHattie, it's still impossible not to see that man's moustache and wave back!

McHattie for sure in Ward 1, I hope Martinus in Ward 2 (Jelly is fine too), but I think there will be too much vote splitting. Maybe someone like Eric Hess would take advantage of that? I hope it's Tetley in Ward 3 but I can't see Morelli losing. I guarantee this will be his last term though. I'm sure he'll retire after this. I'm happy if Powers and Duvall come back. Pearson is the best sitting councillor we have so I really really hope she wins. Whitehead, Collins and Merulla I'm sure will be safe (all unfortunately). Jackson I like more then most of those guys so I wouldn't lose sleep if he wins again. Lloyd's lets build a bunker around Ancaster to keep poor people out is tiresome, but he'll win for sure and he deserves too actually, as he is at least smart at city wide matters.

I'm not following ward 11, but that's a ward that if a decent candidate ran, then Mitchell would lose. He is out of touch with urban voters. With all the residential growth in Binbrook, north of QEW and south of Rymal in his ward you'd think he'd be vulnerable. But I don't know who is running against him. Clark rubs me the wrong way too. He is way too smug. But I don't know how his competition is.

mattgrande
Oct 25, 2010, 1:51 PM
I can tell you that Matteo Gentile hasn't exactly been endearing me to him in Ward 2 with the robo-calls I've received from him over the course of this campaign...

I'm on the Do Not Call Registry...how is that allowed?

I emailed him (and another candidate, don't remember who) to inform them I wouldn't be voting for them because of that.

How hard is it to get out there and talk to people? I've had Matt Jelly, HooJung Jones, and Jason Farr come to my door personally, and volunteers for Marvin Caplan, Martinus Gelensye, and James Novak. If you're going to just leave a message on my machine, don't bother.

Going back a few weeks, was anyone surprised by the lack of candidates at Supercrawl?

padthai
Oct 25, 2010, 2:18 PM
Going back a few weeks, was anyone surprised by the lack of candidates at Supercrawl?
Very much so. I only saw Matt Jelly and a booth for Eisenberger. I had heard Martinus was there earlier in the day. With 19 candidates, you'd think they'd all be scrambling to get some exposure there.

Going back a bit further, Di Ianni was the only candidate I saw at the Locke Street Festival.

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 2:20 PM
I've had Whitehead at my door three times. Some may not like him but he definitely stands up for his ward, either right or wrong on the issue.

Ward 8 got most of the stimulus money and obviously Whitehead had a lot to do with it. Westmount will have a new rec centre, finally we aren't paying for Ancaster's fire service, Rymal and Stone Church Road west has sidewalks!, Omni roundabout (a beauty!), I like how he's approachable by setting up a booth each month at Westcliffe to meet with people and he fought the good fight over Flamborough's casino money to the rest of the City.

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 2:24 PM
Going back a bit further, Di Ianni was the only candidate I saw at the Locke Street Festival.

Eisenberger was definitely at the Locke Street Festival so was Martinus. He's part of the AGH World Film Festival.

mattgrande
Oct 25, 2010, 3:05 PM
Very much so. I only saw Matt Jelly and a booth for Eisenberger. I had heard Martinus was there earlier in the day. With 19 candidates, you'd think they'd all be scrambling to get some exposure there.

I saw Jason Farr as well. One mayoral candidate and three councillors? At the biggest festival in the Ward? Dismal...

drpgq
Oct 25, 2010, 3:31 PM
I voted for Jelly for Ward 2 and have seen support for him online at sites like the Hamilton subreddit, but I have no idea how groups like older people in the North End are going to vote. There's just so many candidates. Personally I like it and see Ward 2 as an endorsement for term limits.

Anders Knudsen
Oct 25, 2010, 4:56 PM
drpgq, exactly, I think Jelly and Geleynse will suffer greatly from age and lack of experience in most eyes. There are enough signs for Hess north of Herkimer, where people actually vote that I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get it. Caplan has been a nutjob and Farr comes across as a likable goof.

Anyone else hoping Powers gets tossed? I don't have a clue if there's a chance, but looking through his voting record I note that he's voted for the airport expansion and AEGD, against any changes to area rating, and he's absent all the time. Dundas could benefit from a more progressive voice I think.

oldcoote
Oct 25, 2010, 5:12 PM
Ward 2 will be fun to watch.

Less than 6000 total votes in that ward in 2006. Will Jelly and/or Geleynse inspire those that may not have voted in 2006 to do so in 2010? Will less than 1000 votes take this ward?

markbarbera
Oct 25, 2010, 6:00 PM
No matter who wins the Mayor's seat and the 15 ward races, the only certainty is that women lose big time in 2010. With few women among the candidates there is a strong chance there will be at best just one female voice on council. And absolutley no visible minorities.

Am I the only one who finds it a little disconcerting that we have basically an exclusively white male council in the making?

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 6:08 PM
It'll be equal number of females on council. We had Pearson and McCarthy. New session it's likely Pearson and Partridge.

padthai
Oct 25, 2010, 6:18 PM
Am I the only one who finds it a little disconcerting that we have basically an exclusively white male council in the making?

Yes! But this seems to be the norm around us. Burlington - 1 female, rest white males. Oakville - 11 of 13 are white males. Niagara Region - 8 females, 22 white males...
Hopefully this will change as we continue to see more a population shift.

I'm even surprised to see Toronto have only 3 white males as the leading candidates given their multicultural reputation. Interesting article in the Globe last week about Toronto being jealous of Calgary's new Muslim mayor...http://bit.ly/cxfym3

oldcoote
Oct 25, 2010, 6:42 PM
Women are too smart to go into politics. ;)

emge
Oct 25, 2010, 6:47 PM
Of course it's disconcerting not a lot of women are running, but I run off my mouth too much to go into politics.

Then again, it seems to be a prerequisite these days...

SteelTown
Oct 25, 2010, 7:04 PM
I'd love to see the day we get a female Mayor. There isn't a shortage of qualified female candidates such as Marie Bountrogianni, Teresa Cascioli, Sheila Copps, etc.

omro
Oct 25, 2010, 7:26 PM
It'll be equal number of females on council. We had Pearson and McCarthy. New session it's likely Pearson and Partridge.

You may get a shock and HooJung Jones may get elected in Ward 2