PDA

View Full Version : Seattle ~ South Downtown

mSeattle
May 31, 2008, 3:44 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20080530/450sodo_development_1.JPG

New vision for South downtown
City wants to squeeze more homes, businesses into Pioneer Square, International District

By ANGELA GALLOWAY
P-I REPORTER

Seattle planners unveiled their strategy Thursday for squeezing more homes and employers into some of the city's oldest and most culturally significant neighborhoods, including Pioneer Square and Chinatown.

The sweeping proposal of land-use and other policy changes seeks to make room for 6,000 new housing units and enough office space to support 16,000 additional jobs by 2030 in an area bureaucrats have dubbed "South Downtown," which includes Little Saigon east of Interstate 5 and the northern tip of Sodo near Qwest Field.

"It's a good place for growth, but it needs to be managed very sensitively," said Alan Justad, spokesman for the Seattle Department of Planning and Development. "We're working hard to make that the keynote of this.

"It's also next to a major transit hub. So it's going to be a great place to live, in terms of getting to work and services."

Officials said the plan, more than two years in the works, would protect historic buildings and districts while giving developers more leeway to build taller, denser buildings in some communities, especially if they include housing, open space or public amenities in their plans.

City planners had considered numerous alternatives, four of which are spelled out in a final environmental impact statement also released Thursday by the Department of Planning and Development. In the end, they settled on one vision as a preferred option, which was described in the other report.

Mayor Greg Nickels is expected to propose legislation based on the planners' recommendations early next year, Justad said. The City Council would consider those changes. In the meantime, officials plan to hold an open house on the package next week.

Continue: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/365170_southdowntown30.html

seaskyfan
May 31, 2008, 5:24 AM
Looks like a pretty thoughtful approach. Nice to see the increased height limits.

urbanizer405
May 31, 2008, 8:13 AM
I noticed in one of the renderings there would be a mixed-use tower above the train platforms (north of Weller Street, I think). Could be a good opprotunity to redevelop that entire station area into something like our neighbors up north have planned for one of their stations...

Aleks
May 31, 2008, 8:16 PM
Yes, it would be great! That area is very beautiful and it needs an uplift. I always imagined Chinatown with tall residential buildings and if this plan proceeds I would get to see it.

I also like the idea of adding height to buildings if they add residential units above the office space. I've always thought Pioneer Square had some of the best views in Seattle. To the North there's the giant office skyscrapers, to the South you can see Mt. Rainier, to the East we have Harborview and the Amazon Building, and to the East we have Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.

OhioGuy
Jun 1, 2008, 7:55 PM
KING5 has a video news report about this.

Nickels unveils 'Liveable South Downtown' plan (http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_053008WAB_liveable_south_downtown_LJ.43721d01.html)

I like development that occurs around sports stadiums. They generally seem to have a good lively atmosphere to them. So this plan looks good to me. It'll be even better with the light rail connecting that area of the city to downtown and eventually Capital Hill & the University District. I really like Seattle's future prospects! Such a great city with a lot to look forward to over the coming years. :tup:

(btw, weren't there plans/renderings released sometime in the past couple of years for redevelopment of the industrial cargo/containers area that's right along the water front due west of the stadiums?)

seaskyfan
Jun 1, 2008, 9:19 PM
^ Yes. Here's a link to an article about it.

http://www.nitze-stagen.com/WaCEO2.pdf

I haven't heard anything about the container terminal redevelopment lately, but I think the "Seattle South Downtown Vision" plan mentioned in the article has been a big influence on the proposed zoning changes contained in the plan released last week.

Aleks
Jun 2, 2008, 1:47 AM
I think I posted some of those renderings in the Seattle Compilation Thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=73539&page=80) but I'm not sure if it's the same project you're taking about.

All these projects would create havoc during game seasons. Light-rail will lighten the amount of cars but there will still be a significant number of cars around that area. A tunnel from the ground part of the viaduct to the Safeco and Qwest parking lots would be nice. Like an airport drop-off zone kind of thing and maybe an underground parking level added West of safeco.

Too much money though. Would not be built in the near future.

Black Box
Jun 4, 2008, 5:38 AM
I'm looking forward to it, especially the street scape plans for the ID.

arbeiter
Jun 26, 2008, 6:12 AM
It's appropriate for the area, although Seattle still kind of baffles me in how it's very reluctant to gentrify certain areas. Fundamentally, the boundaries of the not-so-nice areas barely moved compared to east coast cities. In any east coast city, this area wouldn't need zoning help to be redeveloped.

sequoias
Jun 26, 2008, 7:12 PM
Nice to see South Downtown area to become even denser. :)