PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco!!

urbanlife
May 23, 2008, 5:40 AM
okay, it is about that time. I am going to SF for the first time the first week of July and I would like to know where in San Fran I must go to. Like the things that, if you havent seen, then you havent been to San Francisco. Or what new pieces of architecture are a must see? Or where must I eat for cheap amazing food cause I plan on eating alot?

I plan on catching a Giants game because they will be playing the Cubs while I am there.

I know the new Federal building is on my list of things to see.

I plan on renting a bike the first day there and riding it along the coast line.

I know there is a Frank Lloyd Wright building interior that I want to check out.

But seriously, what are the things you are proud about there that I need to see. I grew up in a tourist town, so I am not a fan of touristy shit, but I do like wharfs, so I will stop by the one there, but other than that I just want to enjoy San Francisco like how a local would if they had four days off to do whatever in their own city.

So I ask you guys for suggestions to start off my trip.

danvillain
May 23, 2008, 7:17 AM
So I ask you guys for suggestions to start off my trip.
i'm not going to touch on anything else because, frankly, i feel like a tourist myself much of the time. in other words, i know jack.

but i will comment on this:

I plan on renting a bike the first day there and riding it along the coast line.
i recommend you visit the SFBC's web site (http://www.sfbike.org/?maps) and take a look at the "SF bike map & walking guide" (you can view it online for free or purchase one for $. if you plan on covering a wide area, i'd suggest you spend a few dollars and buy the print version. it's something you can tuck into your back pocket and refer to it as you go along.).

as for riding, i would definitely consider riding across the GGB. as is noted on the map, bicyclists are to use the east (city) side path (same as when walking) weekdays between 6:30 AM and 3:30 PM. just note that it can get crowded on that side. the west side path is for bicyclists at all other times, including weekends and holidays. another thing when riding on the bridge: it can get very windy (as we've seen this week), so be very careful, especially when rounding the towers.

if you're up for it, consider extending the ride from the north side of the bridge (vista point is on the marin side, on the east side of US-101; it's accessible from the west side path by stairway under the bridge at the north end) either up into the headlands (to the left, leaving the parking lot at the north end of the bridge--on the west side path) or down into sausalito. it's quaint. just remember that what goes down must go up (unless a ferry ride is in the mix). an alternative (and bike-only route, for part of the way) to alexander avenue is to take conzelman rd. (from the west side path/parking lot) down under the bridge and to fort baker. (great bay-level views afforded from here.) from there you can continue onto alexander at the south side of sausalito. the ascent to the bridge from sausalito is, i think, easier via fort baker/conzelman.

happy and safe riding!

BTinSF
May 24, 2008, 2:57 AM
- Try to get up to the top of Twin Peaks for the view of pretty much the entire Bay Area.

- Since you like wharfs, skip Fishermens Wharf itself and go out to the end of nearby Pier 39 and check out the view, then the sea lions in the harbor along the western side.

- Unless shopping gives you a rash, wander into the San Francisco Shopping Center (where Bloomingdale's is) on Market St between 5th and 4th to check out a really grand example of a creative reuse project. It used to be the 100 year old Emporium Dept. Store.

- Break down and ride a cable car. They are fun. In July, the place will be over-run with tourists so I'd ride the California St. line (which tourists don't seem to know about), getting on at either the downtown end at California and Market or the other end at California and Van Ness. Since fares on these things are outrageous, buy some kind of pass: Just a one-day pass if you don't plan to ride other forms of transit or a 3 or 7-day pass if you do: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm .

- If you do plan to use Muni, see http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/official.htm

- Consider having a drink after dark some evening at the Top of the Mark bar in the Mark Hopkins Hotel (on Nob Hill): "Located on the 19th floor of the InterContinental Mark Hopkins Hotel, the world-renowned sky-bar affords a near 360 degree vista of San Francisco including views of the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, and Alcatraz. Famed for its 100 Martinis menu, the Top Of The Mark has been rated as one of the 26 “World’s Best Hotel Bars” by Forbes.com two years consecutively."

- There are a number of neighborhoods you should explore on foot: North Beach along Columbus Ave.; The Castro (Castro & Market vicinity); the Haight; the Mission (along Valencia and Mission streets from 16th to 24th); if you have yuppie tendencies, perhaps the Marina along Chestnut; Chinatown (Grant and Stockton streets). You also might want to walk along Clement west of Arguelo, especially on Sundays.

- Don't miss City Hall (the interior). It makes my jaw drop every time I go in there.

- Architecturally speaking, the best things to check out right now might be the De Young Museum by Herzog & DeMeuron and, across the music concourse, the new California Academy of Sciences (not yet open) by Renzo Piano, both in Golden Gate Park (take the 5 Fulton bus to about 7th Ave--ask the driver to tell you when to get off).

urbanlife
May 24, 2008, 3:49 AM
wow, now that is some great info.

thanks for the pier tip, definitely will have to hit pier 39. I am not much of a yuppie, but I will probably walk though some of the expensive shopping areas. It is like when I went to Chicago, I had to walk the miracle mile even though I would never shop there. And the De Young center was definitely on my list, that is one of my favorite architecture firms. Thanks for the Piano tip, I was planning on checking that out, but wasn't sure if it was under construction yet.

I will have to check out the city hall, I was looking into that and it is suppose to be a larger dome than the US Capitol and I use to go to DC every summer when I was a kid, so it will be nice to see something like that again.

Thanks for the key streets and the cable car suggestion, who doesnt go to SF and not ride a cable car? I was planning on getting a bike for the first day, then using a 3 day tourist transit pass the rest of the time which gets me on muni and the cable cars, all I would have to pay for is the BART to and from Oakland International.

As for type of person I am, I am a nerd that enjoys good beers, comics, toys, unique areas, great areas to walk, and of course anything architecture. Oh and I almost forgot I love tshirts that you cant really find anywhere else, local companies and such.

So yeah, any good bars that you would suggest worth hitting would be cool too, not too worried about the view, but more character of the place, type of people it gathers (20 something crowds)

Yeah, I have been really nerding out on this trip.

huh, just measured out the bike path I want to do, I want to go from the piers along downtown, up the the north end of SF to Golden Gate, then over to the Land's End then over to the beach and up through the Golden Gate Park, through the Panhandle Park then back downtown. I am looking at a 16 to 18 mile bike ride...my legs will be dead after that, i will definitely need Muni after that haha.

peanut gallery
May 24, 2008, 5:48 AM
BT gave you a ton of good ideas. Here are a couple of additions:

If you do go to North Beach, make sure to wander around Jackson Square (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Square%2C_San_Francisco%2C_California). It's like walking into another time, especially if you enter from the Financial District side.

Since you like beer and are planning to catch a Giants game, you might check out 21st Amendment on Second St. It's just a couple of blocks away and they make some good beer.

On your bike ride, start just south of the Ferry Building and you'll pass several good piers to go out on even before you get to Pier 39. Some of them are wrapped around what is now office space in old shipping buildings. There's a bike rental place almost directly under the Bay Bridge. If that's where you get your bike, you'll see all of them.

BTinSF
May 24, 2008, 6:36 AM
I am not much of a yuppie, but I will probably walk though some of the expensive shopping areas. It is like when I went to Chicago, I had to walk the miracle mile even though I would never shop there. And the De Young center was definitely on my list, that is one of my favorite architecture firms. Thanks for the Piano tip, I was planning on checking that out, but wasn't sure if it was under construction yet.

So yeah, any good bars that you would suggest worth hitting would be cool too, not too worried about the view, but more character of the place, type of people it gathers (20 something crowds)

Yeah, I have been really nerding out on this trip.

Well that gives us something to work with.

Piano's Academy of Sciences is almost finished--the exterior (alas, all you can see for now) IS finished and the place opens in September. A tremendous place to see it from is the observation tower of the DeYoung Museum--be sure to go up there if you visit the museum.

If you like Miracle Mile type experiences, besides the SF Shopping Center, just wander around the Union Square area. Besides the square itself (a must-see), wander down Post St., Sutter St., Grant St. etc in that area. You'll see just about every name in upscale retailing you ever heard of. One place you may not have heard of but which is THE place in SF for top of the line men's clothing is Wilkes Bashford (375 Sutter St.)

I'll let somebody who IS 20-something tell you where the 20-something crowd drinks these days, but one place you might check out for a beer and maybe a roast beef sandwich is Tommy's Joynt at Geary & Van Ness. It's an old-style SF place called locally a "hofbrau" which is a cafeteria style restaurant/bar, typically with sports on TV constantly. Tommy's claims to have over 100 kinds of bottled beer available.

fflint
May 24, 2008, 7:09 AM
Haha, there are many different 20-something crowds in SF.

Here are some fucking awesome SF bars, each a scene of its own (and not all of them are familiar or safe):

12 Galaxies - Hipsters, scenesters, tourists
Doc's Clock - Hipsters, drunks
Zeitgeist - Total, unmitigated chaos
Lucky 13 - Rockers
500 Club - Pool sharks, drunks
Cassidy's - Drunk urban primates
Hemlock - Hipsters, scenesters, musicians
Velvet Cantina - Hipsters, yuppies
Medjool - Yuppies
Vesuvio - Mods, tourists
Specs - Hipsters, beatniks
Pop's - Drunk chaotic urban primates
Thee Parkside - Freaks, drunks, scenesters
Bottom of the Hill - Musicians, scenesters, hipsters
Truck - Gays, hipsters, drunks
Transfer - Freaks, gays, hipsters

urbanlife
May 24, 2008, 11:50 PM
sweet, now we are talking. Thanks for all the info, I have been cruising yelp.com for all its reviews as well. Definitely looking forward to all of this.

Frisco_Zig
May 26, 2008, 5:08 AM
I also think you would like walking the Mission. Check out the murals in Balmy Alley and Clarion Alley (google them if you are interested). I like the Mission around 22nd and 24th or on a sunny day check out Dolores Park

I also its a bit more touristy but I think the Filbert and Green St. Stairs and the homes around this area are pretty unique. You could walk around Green St and try to get a little away from the touristy heart of North Beach
http://www.sisterbetty.org/stairways/greenwichstreet.htm

urbanlife
May 26, 2008, 4:50 PM
oh yeah and I am gonna have to go up to the spot where they got the opening shot of Full House at...how can I pass up that?

BTinSF
May 26, 2008, 7:19 PM
Ion a sunny day check out Dolores Park

Indeed! The corner of 20th & Church at the "upper" end of Dolores Park is one of my favorite view spots in San Francisco--as shown here (with extra special "view" toward the end):

e4u28ErH4es&feature=related

AndrewK
May 27, 2008, 6:46 PM
oh yeah and I am gonna have to go up to the spot where they got the opening shot of Full House at...how can I pass up that?

that would be alamo square, and the best part about it is that its only a couple blocks away from the best beer bar in the city, Toronado, on lower haight. they have 45 rotating taps with lots of west coast micros and usually tons of belgians.

urbanlife
May 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
that would be alamo square, and the best part about it is that its only a couple blocks away from the best beer bar in the city, Toronado, on lower haight. they have 45 rotating taps with lots of west coast micros and usually tons of belgians.

yummmm, best beer in the city, now that is what I am looking for.

AndrewK
May 28, 2008, 2:22 AM
oh and theres also rosamunde sausage shop next door to toronado, its manditory that you get a sausage if you go there to drink (well not really, but youd be silly not to). best sausages in the city, and amazing burgers on tuesdays. plus you can get a beer while you wait.

if youre looking for a cool "different" type place to hang out for a drink, definitely hit up zeitgeist as listed before. they have a huge outdoor patio with picnic tables and serve bbq out there, interesting mix of bikers and hipsters. theres good beer, bartenders that look like they probably got in a fist fight the night before, and very good bloody maries (sic?).

theres millions of good places for drinks in the city, if you need more suggestions to yelp just ask. if you couldnt tell, i do a lot of drinking in the city. but i also do non-drinking stuff too i swear.

urbanlife
Jun 1, 2008, 11:40 PM
actually I was doing some research and I think I can cancel my reservations at my current hotel and book a room over at the Hotel des Arts in the French Quarter next to Chinatown. I was checking out the rooms there and it is right up my alley for type of hotel.

BTinSF
Jun 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
:previous: When I read your reference to this area as the "French Quarter" I did a double take. I'd never heard that before but I saw that the hotel does indeed say that on their web site. Just so you aren't disappointed, this area is pretty much a part of the Financial District. There are a couple of "French" things around--mostly restaurants like Cafe de la Presse. But if you have any notions about anything like the New Orleans French Quarter, you'll be very disappointed.

On the other hand, it's not at all a bad location--near Chinatown, walking distance to Union Square, the Embarcadero, Market St., even Fisherman's Wharf. And there's a project we SF forumers have our eyes on--350 Bush--practically across the street.

AndrewK
Jun 2, 2008, 4:53 AM
that hotel is almost next door to my favorite cafe in the city, cafe claude, on claude lane (just above kearny on bush). belden place just on the other side of kearny also has lots of little french restaurants.

BrianSac
Jun 2, 2008, 6:30 AM
that hotel is almost next door to my favorite cafe in the city, cafe claude, on claude lane (just above kearny on bush). belden place just on the other side of kearny also has lots of little french restaurants.

Cool, I'm so glad you posted that. I've been looking for more French restaurants in the city. I've been to the French masses at Notre Dame des Victoires, but never noticed the French restaurants nearby except for Cafe de la Presse. C'est bien comme ça, baby.

urban_encounter
Jun 2, 2008, 2:30 PM
okay, it is about that time. I am going to SF for the first time the first week of July and I would like to know where in San Fran I must go to. Like the things that, if you havent seen, then you havent been to San Francisco. Or what new pieces of architecture are a must see? Or where must I eat for cheap amazing food cause I plan on eating alot?

I think you have to stop by and see the Ferry Building. It is a wonderful market where you can pick up anything from a bite to eat, to some fresh flowers, sip a glass of wine or take a bottle with you; sample chocolate, cheese or have a cappaccino.

I think it's one San Francisco's crown jewels. Even though it's situtated on the touristy waterfront, it doesn't feel touristy.

BTW if you aren't staying with friends, I suggest the San Remo Hotel in North Beach. It's inexpensive, clean, comfortable and quiet. The bathrooms and showers are common, but it is a very European style hotel and worth the stay.

here's their link

http://www.sanremohotel.com/

urbanlife
Jun 3, 2008, 6:09 PM
:previous: When I read your reference to this area as the "French Quarter" I did a double take. I'd never heard that before but I saw that the hotel does indeed say that on their web site. Just so you aren't disappointed, this area is pretty much a part of the Financial District. There are a couple of "French" things around--mostly restaurants like Cafe de la Presse. But if you have any notions about anything like the New Orleans French Quarter, you'll be very disappointed.

On the other hand, it's not at all a bad location--near Chinatown, walking distance to Union Square, the Embarcadero, Market St., even Fisherman's Wharf. And there's a project we SF forumers have our eyes on--350 Bush--practically across the street.

Yeah, I noticed that, it is like a block long. I was more excited about its location.

zilfondel
Jun 4, 2008, 6:40 AM
Interesting, I actually know urbanlife in person, and am planning on going down to San Fran at the end of June. Still in planning tho... I have some friends who I am going to rely on to show me around. :)

And since I haven't spent much time down there, I'm going to be a total tourist. :P

One of my friends lives in Chinatown in Oakland, how easy/hard is it to get from there to San Francisco? I heard there is a bridge... lol... and a ferry? I'm carless so... any basic advice is handy!

urbanlife
Jun 4, 2008, 7:38 AM
Interesting, I actually know urbanlife in person, and am planning on going down to San Fran at the end of June. Still in planning tho... I have some friends who I am going to rely on to show me around. :)

And since I haven't spent much time down there, I'm going to be a total tourist. :P

One of my friends lives in Chinatown in Oakland, how easy/hard is it to get from there to San Francisco? I heard there is a bridge... lol... and a ferry? I'm carless so... any basic advice is handy!

Well I will be landing at Oakland International and will be taking the BART into San Fran. It looks like the easiest way to get between the two cities without a car.

fflint
Jun 4, 2008, 4:55 PM
It takes almost no effort whatsoever to get from Oakland Chinatown to San Francisco by BART. You'll only be on the train for ten minutes.

BTinSF
Jun 5, 2008, 5:33 PM
Well I will be landing at Oakland International and will be taking the BART into San Fran. It looks like the easiest way to get between the two cities without a car.

It IS the easiest (and Fflint is right), but for just a sightseeing trip or whatever there is also a ferry from the SF Ferry Building to the part of Oakland called Jack London Square. Also, there are AC transit busses from the TransBay Terminal.

urbanlife
Jun 7, 2008, 4:26 AM
actually another random question, where are good places to go to enjoy cute girls in San Fran?

POLA
Jun 9, 2008, 5:21 PM
^The Mission seems to have a lot of them. Oh, and edinburgh's castle in the TL (take a cab there).

AndrewK
Jun 10, 2008, 12:54 AM
the mission, as well as lower haight, is good if you want trendy, hipster girls. union square area for designer clothes-wearing rich girls, the marina if youre into sorority girls.

i feel like im imitating calvin harris writing this post.

citizensf
Jun 10, 2008, 5:03 PM
actually another random question, where are good places to go to enjoy cute girls in San Fran?

We have cute girls in San Francisco?

Actually, on any hot and sunny day I'll see cute girls when I go for a jog in Golden Gate Park, Crissy Field or really any public space. Less clothing always seems to help with the overall cuteness factor :-)

urbanlife
Jun 11, 2008, 7:11 PM
the mission, as well as lower haight, is good if you want trendy, hipster girls. union square area for designer clothes-wearing rich girls, the marina if youre into sorority girls.

sounds like I need to spend some time in the mission and lower haight.

CHapp
Jun 11, 2008, 10:22 PM
It IS the easiest (and Fflint is right), but for just a sightseeing trip or whatever there is also a ferry from the SF Ferry Building to the part of Oakland called Jack London Square. Also, there are AC transit busses from the TransBay Terminal.

I second bt's recommendation, urbanlife. The views from the ferry as well as from a bus over the Bay Bridge (east-west direction is better) are lovely. Plus by not crossing the Bay via the underwater transit tunnel you get an extra bonus these days, a pretty good look at this project:

http://www.baybridgeinfo.org/ :)

AndrewK
Jun 12, 2008, 2:57 AM
unfortunately getting to a transbay bus from the airport is a bit of a hassle. i would suggest just taking bart to the city when you get into town, and then taking a bus or ferry if you take a day trip to the east bay (which i recommend, assuming youre around long enough).

CHapp
Jun 12, 2008, 9:25 AM
The bus/ferry sightseeing trip TO the East Bay was recommended as an excursion from SF anyway, not as the straightforward way to reach the man's hotel in SF upon arrival at Oakland International.

But I second your recommendation for an East Bay expedition if urbanlife has the time, Andrew. Both Oakland and Berkeley are worth a visit! :)

urbanlife
Jun 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think for the amount of things I want to do, I dont think I will be getting out of san francisco. My four day trip is penciling out like this. Day one, I will get there that morning, be renting a bike and riding the coast line of the city. Day two, which will be a tuesday, will be me hitting up all the museums and different neighborhoods that they are near, possibly mission district this day too. Day three, another part of San Francisco and a Giants game that evening. Then Day four, hit up any last thing I want to do there, then fly out that evening.

But I am sure I will be back to take that ferry ride and see Oakland and Berkley. Both of those cities I would love to spend some time in.

BTinSF
Jun 13, 2008, 5:25 AM

Is, like, the Marina Safeway as far gone into history as fern bars?

sfcity1
Jun 13, 2008, 11:13 AM

If you want clean cut and cute, go to the bars in cow hollow (Union Street) and Fillmore street. It is jammed packed with Yuppie Bars and more laid back wine bars of various types.

For live bands and funkier stuff, go to the Mission which has all kinds of finds.
I highly recommend Medjool during dinner which turns into a club around 10 pm with two levels at the bottom and a rooftop bar. The wine bar Nectar on Steiner street.

Also, unique to SF is it's non-urban scenic parts. Go to telegraph hill and walk on the Filbert steps (close to Coit Tower) which takes you into an oasis in the city with great views. If you want to drive and park at Coit Tower, do so later in the day (early evening) during the weekdays or the crowds will take away from the pleasure.

Also, for great downtown views, drive half way over the bay bridge and get off half way on treasure Island (exit on left) to get a great view of downtown SF. Then drive back to SF and there will not be a bridge toll. i Stay on the right hand side when driving back from treasure island for the best views.

Also, check out the Ferry Building for great local CA produce, meats, baked goods, and prepared foods. Best to go on a Saturday morning during the Farmer's Market.

Of course, it is hard to beat Union Square for great shopping.

sf_eddo
Jun 19, 2008, 12:45 AM
^^

Hahaha, you sound like a tourist guidebook! Did you copy/paste that out of Let's Go or Frommers?

Yeah, Medjool is where you go in the Mission to hang with the funky indie types.... how about Double Dutch, Foreign Cinema, or Blondies Bar & No Grill, as well? SUNNYVALE-CHIC!

Sorry, I'm a judgmental asshole. Don't ban me flinty!

EastBayHardCore
Jun 19, 2008, 12:51 AM
Ed, you're such a bitch.

sf_eddo
Jun 19, 2008, 12:56 AM
Ok, to nullify my bitchiness, fun under-the-radar places to go in the Mission that are still white-people friendly (i.e. not a bunch of hispanic barflies who look like they've been drinking for 100+ billion years) are... Mission Bar, Lone Palm, Phone Booth, The Attic, El Rio, Argus Lounge, Knockout Room. All these places tend to be hipster central as well, although to differing degrees across the varied and colorful hipster spectrum.

Also, avoid the Mission at all costs on friday and Saturday night. And if you feel you the compelling need to be drawn to 16th/Valencia clusterfuck, try Dalva or Thieves Tavern.

BTinSF
Jun 19, 2008, 6:01 AM
if you feel you the compelling need to be drawn to 16th/Valencia clusterfuck, try Dalva or Thieves Tavern.

I'd take that as Ed's way of telling you that 16th & Valencia is the center of Mission nightlife and dining.

tech12
Jun 20, 2008, 10:07 PM

What kind of girls do you like? I'll second the mission for cute hipster girls, and hot latinas. Also if you keep going south down Mission Street to the Excelsior District you'll see plenty of hot Asian girls too. ;) Actually the Asian girl thing pretty much goes for the entire city. Go to the Marina for hot and annoying yuppie/sorority/trust fund girls...ohh yeah...Marina girls..uhh, Anyways...

The mission will be great for your cheap food fix too. Eat burritos. Lots of them. Another cheap food item I like to get in SF is vietnamese Sandwiches. There's a good place on Ocean Avenue, if you feel like venturing to SF's southern reaches...but someone else could probably recommend some more convenient spots (I'm sure there's a bunch in the tenderloin).

urbanlife
Jun 20, 2008, 10:55 PM
I definitely will have to spend some time in the Mission, wasnt an area I was originally planning, but it sounds like a good bet for me.

Well it is just over a week before I will be there. Getting all nerdy excited now.

BTinSF
Jun 23, 2008, 2:38 AM
I definitely will have to spend some time in the Mission, wasnt an area I was originally planning, but it sounds like a good bet for me.

The city is only 7 miles square and only about 1/3 of that is of interest to most out-of-towners (the rest is block after block of zero-lot-line houses built in the 20s through the 50s). In a couple of days you can "spend some time" in just about all of that part.

urbanlife
Jun 23, 2008, 3:44 AM
very true, which is why I think I am gonna like it there, so compact. So curious question, anyone up for grabbing a beer next week?

sf_eddo
Jun 23, 2008, 6:59 AM
The mission will be great for your cheap food fix too. Eat burritos. Lots of them. Another cheap food item I like to get in SF is vietnamese Sandwiches. There's a good place on Ocean Avenue, if you feel like venturing to SF's southern reaches...but someone else could probably recommend some more convenient spots (I'm sure there's a bunch in the tenderloin).

Thye're called Bahn Mi, there's one in the FiDi called Les Croissant here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/les-croissant-san-francisco

There's a bunch in the Tenderloin, off Larkin, including Saigon Sandwiches, Baguette Express, and Lee's Sandwichs (NOT Lee's Deli, which is way different)... good list of them here:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=bahn+mi&ns=1&rpp=10&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

BTinSF
Jun 23, 2008, 5:00 PM
:previous:

Isn't it Banh mi? Anyway, the best of the lot IMHO is Wrap Delight on Larkin between Golden Gate and Turk. The lady there used to work at Saigon Sandwiches but for several years she has had her own place and I think she does a better job than her old employer.

tech12
Jun 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
Lee's Sandwichs (

Do you know if this is the same as the Lee's Sandwiches in San Jose? Hold on, after reading yelp, it looks like it is, but I'm surprised to see not that many great reviews. I though it was pretty damn good...I guess my taste in Bahn Mi is just very unrefined....I guess I'll have to see about changing that...with many more sandwiches. This is something to look forward to :whip:

AndrewK
Jun 30, 2008, 5:15 PM
so when do you get into town?

urbanlife
Jul 1, 2008, 5:11 AM
got here this morning, I walked about 14 miles today.

krudmonk
Jul 1, 2008, 6:02 AM
Do you know if this is the same as the Lee's Sandwiches in San Jose?
It's a chain now, according to Wikipedia. I didn't know they existed elsewhere.

CHapp
Jul 1, 2008, 9:06 AM
got here this morning, I walked about 14 miles today.

Attaboy! Just like the good tourist, walkin' & gawkin' ...

Be grateful that you missed out on the mizzerable days closely preceding this one when the Bay Area was covered by a thick blanket of haze from all the fires.

urbanlife
Jul 1, 2008, 3:09 PM
indeed I am, actually I was a little worried that it was going to be crappy here this week, but so far the weather has turned out to be perfect.

Actually unlike a true tourist, I took an unusual walk yesterday. I got into town early morning and rode the BART in from Oakland. Checked into my hotel then walked up to the Coit Tower to take some pictures. I listened to horrible elevator music on the ride up to the top, which has a great view of the city. Then walked down the east side of Telegraph Hill, through the Levi's campus, which actually did a good job even though the architecture is bad 80's. Then walked along the pier side to fisherman's wharf. That area is funny, I hated it, but it reminded me of my hometown in Virginia. Then I walked back to North Beach to Green St to have lunch at Sotto Marie, some yummy seafood. After there, I headed west UP Lombard to see the crooked street, then worked my way over to Crissy Field to walk to the Golden Gate Bridge. Much of this walk I was surrounded by European tourist, must have something to do with the value of the Euro.

My favorite part is when I got to the base of the Golden Gate, all the tourists took a left and went up top to take a picture of the bridge, I went under to get the best picture of the bridge. I continued down the Coastal Trail with not a single tourist in sight, which was a shame because that is an awesome trail and it is filled with pockets of military stations. I took that trail to the end, and ended up in the Outer Richmond neighborhood.

I walked up El Camino to the Legion of Honors to see George Segal's Holocaust sculpture, which by the way is breaktaking to see in person. From there I went down the hill to another part of Richmond headed toward Golden Gate Park. Walked through much of that park and got a little turned around in the end, thought I would of ended up in Hiaght, but was actually on 9th in Sunset. Then took a free ride on the train back to the hotel.

Now lets see the typical tourist do that. Today is museum day for me cause I want to see the DeYoung up close and personal and I found out Frida's work is at the MOMA. Plus I will hit up the Federal Building from Mayne and the Jewish Building from Libeskind. And possibly Wright's building if I have a chance today. Then I will be finishing the evening out with a nice game of the Cubbies giving thr Giants a nice can of whoop ass.

AndrewK
Jul 1, 2008, 5:35 PM
thats a heck of a walk. ive done something similar before, but with the post-golden gate part on muni bus/metro (my tourist friends were getting tired). where you popped out of the park was the inner sunset, the part of the sunset thats close enough to the rest of the city to be hip and urban, but still a bit quiet and laid back cause its on the ocean side of the city. its just on the other side of ucsf campus from upper haight/cole valley (cole valley was the quieter more residential few blocks you went through after passing the campus on your right, before going into the tunnel that took you next to duboce park).

hope you enjoyed it and have fun today, the emerging museum neighborhood is the most exciting in terms of change and construction in the whole city.

and if you dont already have a plan set up for tomorrow, i would suggest taking the n-judah back to near where you caught it yesterday, and walking the length of the haight. from the bottom you can easily walk through the castro to the mission (maybe hang a left first and take a detour through hayes valley).

in any case, enjoy!

urbanlife
Jul 2, 2008, 6:03 AM
actually today, I went through the DeYoung. I was very impressed, but then again they are great architects. I walked the length of Haight, I might be back there tomorrow, but not sure, the Mission is on the top of my list for tomorrow. I took a hike up to Alamo Park to revisit Full House, I think Kimmy Gibler tried to sell me drugs, I asked her if she had seen the Tanners lately. After that I cut through the Hayes Valley, which turned out to be cool, I wasnt expecting much. After that, I walked down to the Federal Building and got a couple shots before my camera died. While hunting for batteries, I missed the Jewish Museum and ended up walking to the Terminal Tower, which I must say I am very disappointed in. And to finish my day off, I got to see the Cubs lose, but then again they are down a few guys and havent been playing their best lately.

Tomorrow I hope to see the rest of the key pieces of architecture I wanted to see while I was here and then do some shopping for family. Plus I need to cut back on my walking, I think I have done about 25 miles or so in two days and my feet are killing me.

CHapp
Jul 2, 2008, 7:39 AM
Thanks for the update, urbanlife. Sounds like you're doing great and have been covering a lot of territory! :tup:

So what do you think about the new SF ballpark?

I'm glad to hear you've been taking pictures, and I look forward to seeing them. :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay! :cheers:

AndrewK
Jul 2, 2008, 5:24 PM
I missed the Jewish Museum and ended up walking to the Terminal Tower, which I must say I am very disappointed in.

the ferry building?

Gordo
Jul 2, 2008, 8:29 PM
...walking to the Terminal Tower, which I must say I am very disappointed in.

Which building are you talking about here?

urbanlife
Jul 3, 2008, 5:31 AM
Which building are you talking about here?

The Ferry Building that is at the end of Market. Today was a fun day and I really like the Mission, I took almost no pictures in the Mission because nothing I could of taken could of captured how amazing that neighborhood is. It is definitely a hardcore working class neighborhood with people just trying to survive in San Francisco. I was really impressed. I finally rode the cable car, but the funny thing was not because I was trying to do something touristy, it had more to do with the fact that I was near the west end of the California line and I couldn't bare making the walk back into town because my feet were starting to hurt too much.

Also, one of my favorite buildings in town is the One Bush Tower at the end of Bush. It is an international building with an amazing handtiled elevator shaft's exterior wall. The tower doesn't try to lie to you or hide anything about it, it is easy to read the floor plans and how the weight is transfered. Plus on top of that, the courtyard area is done up in a small stone like fashion that is known for being a great stress relief when walked on without your shoes. I didn't take any pictures of it today, but will be back before I leave tomorrow.

Oh and while I have no interior shots, I walked into Frank Lloyd Wright's building. It was a beautiful building to be in and the only serious flaw that I saw with it is that the ceiling didn't provide enough natural light, so they had to add extra lighting to it.

Also another thing I love throughout the city is these tiny buildings. For example, the little white building at the corner of Sutter and Grant, I pass by it alot and I love that little building.

A rare complaint, I wish there was some order to the street names, I mean it is easy once you remember them, but I spoiled with Portland, we have numbered streets and then a large section of street names are in alphabetical order. When my trip is over, I will do a full Portland, San Francisco comparison and a photo tour of sorts. Dont worry about the comparison, it wont be a vs. thread, but I find that Portland and San Francisco have alot in common and I think I want to point out all the things I have learned from this week.

sf_eddo
Jul 3, 2008, 10:29 PM
Starting with Anza southwards you get all the way down to Yorba alphabetically (with minor disruptions at GG Park and also, is there an X St?) and it is also numbered from 2nd Ave to 48th Ave westwards.

If you go the length of Mission Street outbound, you will pass 1st Street all the way down to 30th Street.

Gordo
Jul 3, 2008, 10:35 PM
...I was near the west end of the California line and I couldn't bare making the walk back into town because my feet were starting to hurt too much.

This made me chuckle a little. It's funny to think of the corner of Van Ness and California as "out of town" ;)

AndrewK
Jul 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
Starting with Anza southwards you get all the way down to Yorba alphabetically (with minor disruptions at GG Park and also, is there an X St?) and it is also numbered from 2nd Ave to 48th Ave westwards.

If you go the length of Mission Street outbound, you will pass 1st Street all the way down to 30th Street.

true, but thats only in the sunset, richmond, and soma/mission nabes which most tourists and first-timers probably wouldnt spend much time in (though urbanlife is an exception).

BTinSF
Jul 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
This made me chuckle a little. It's funny to think of the corner of Van Ness and California as "out of town" ;)

I enjoy the idea of living in "the country". I'm allowed one pet in my condo. I'm thinking of trading in my cat for a cow.

urbanlife
Jul 4, 2008, 11:30 PM

well it is out of downTOWN. :haha:

mthd
Jul 5, 2008, 4:33 PM
well it is out of downTOWN. :haha:

glad you had a good trip - and glad you got to see one bush (most of us still call it crown zellerbach - it was built as their headquarters.) it's a building that many out of towners with interest in architecture overlook. classic SOM, classic gordon bunshaft, with a little hint of what chuck bassett would bring to the firm thrown in for good measure. it's among the most humane and interesting international style office towers. i work across the street and never tire of looking through the perfect glass box lobby, the stone pedestal that floats above the landscape, the rich wood benches, the curiously detailed garden, or the perfect proportions of the curtain wall.

fflint
Jul 7, 2008, 6:57 PM
glad you had a good trip - and glad you got to see one bush (most of us still call it crown zellerbach - it was built as their headquarters.) it's a building that many out of towners with interest in architecture overlook. classic SOM, classic gordon bunshaft, with a little hint of what chuck bassett would bring to the firm thrown in for good measure. it's among the most humane and interesting international style office towers. i work across the street and never tire of looking through the perfect glass box lobby, the stone pedestal that floats above the landscape, the rich wood benches, the curiously detailed garden, or the perfect proportions of the curtain wall.
It is also generally a nice building to work in--airy, light, quality materials and a reasonable scale. The covered pedestal is the nicest touch--I can still get some air even if I don't want to subject myself to rain or whatever. I also dig the secured, underground parking for bicycles.

There is one glaring problem with the building's design, though--it turns its back on Market Street. Leaving aside how that affects the aesthetics and functionality of this block of Market Street, and the building's non-conformity with generally-accepted planning policy regarding impermeable blank walls facing city streets, this manifests in yet another way--it is unnecessarily difficult for workers to walk from the front entrance to the subway stations and bus stops on the grand boulevard nearby.

urbanlife
Jul 8, 2008, 1:07 AM
It is also generally a nice building to work in--airy, light, quality materials and a reasonable scale. The covered pedestal is the nicest touch--I can still get some air even if I don't want to subject myself to rain or whatever. I also dig the secured, underground parking for bicycles.

There is one glaring problem with the building's design, though--it turns its back on Market Street. Leaving aside how that affects the aesthetics and functionality of this block of Market Street, and the building's non-conformity with generally-accepted planning policy regarding impermeable blank walls facing city streets, this manifests in yet another way--it is unnecessarily difficult for workers to walk from the front entrance to the subway stations and bus stops on the grand boulevard nearby.

actually I was thinking the same thing, I did not like the point where Bush and Market merged and how the building treats Market. Granted, I dont know what SF was like when this was built so it could of been like Portland's Burnside where it was no point in having any interaction with that side. There is always something that I disapprove with when it comes to international architecture because it always seemed to not worry about local problems, but from time to time, the over all design is amazing.

nequidnimis
Jul 8, 2008, 6:10 AM
HOK has its San Francisco office in that building. Why is HOK is in a building designed by SOM, instead of one of its own design? This is the architectural equivalent of Prada wearing vintage Dior.

peanut gallery
Jul 10, 2008, 9:44 PM
urbanlife - in what ways did the Ferry Building disappoint you?

PS: Glad you enjoyed the trip!

urbanlife
Jul 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
urbanlife - in what ways did the Ferry Building disappoint you?

PS: Glad you enjoyed the trip!

I didnt care for it because I was expecting something more like Pike Place in Seattle I guess. I felt the outside space around it wasnt being used well. Then on the inside, it felt more like a World Market on the inside. Plus on top of that, it never really felt like the tower was much apart of the building when you are in it. But then again, the waterfront in San Francisco seemed more for tourists anyway. The real markets I found were up and down Mission in the Mission District. Now that was a district I fell in love with.

peanut gallery
Jul 12, 2008, 9:08 AM
Interesting and fair criticisms.

The outside space is starting to get used more -- on the waterfront side. They've added more tables this year. But they could certainly do more back there. I think they avoid doing too much on the city side because this is a pedestrian/runner/biker/blader thoroughfare. People don't really hang around right out front unless they are meeting someone. And you wouldn't want them to, because a lot of people need to be able to move through here quickly, heading in different directions at peak hours. Plus there's lots of space just across the street in Justin Herman Plaza for various uses.

It would be cool if you could somehow get a sense of the tower from inside. I've never stopped long enough inside to consider that. Interesting observation.

As far as the waterfront, the area around Fisherman's Warf is certainly tourist-oriented. But I find the area around the Ferry Building through South Beach and into China Basin to be resident-oriented. It's a place people can get out and interact with the dominant natural feature of the metro. The Ferry Building itself I think is targeting commuters (and the Financial District in general) who are looking for specialty items. I don't think it's really geared for tourists, but it's definitely not a neighborhood market like you found in the Mission. If you were looking for that, I'm not at all surprised it would disappoint. They do hold a farmer's market on weekends though. I haven't been to it, so can't really characterize it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see your photo thread.

BTinSF
Jul 12, 2008, 7:19 PM
The weekend farmers market at the Ferry Building is probably the most elaborate in the Bay Area and fills most of the outdoor spaces. But like everything else about the place, it's relatively upscale. For a "down to earth" farmers' market, I use the one in UN Plaza which happens on Wednesday.

San Francisco doesn't have a real old-fashioned city market (numerous independent stalls under one roof targeting "regular" shoppers) like LA's Grand Central Market or Baltimore's Lexington Market. I sure wish it did. Everything here is just too upscale.

But I think they did an excellent job renovating the Ferry Building itself. You probably can't appreciate it if you never saw it before the renovation. As for "feeling" the tower, I just never thought much about it. Do you "feel" church steeples from inside the church? I mean this is a bell/clock tower--nobody goes up there except to maintain the clock and "bell" (which I think is electronic these days).

fflint
Jul 12, 2008, 8:09 PM
Perhaps an al-fresco restaurant atop the Ferry Building's existing roof would allow a better sense of the tower? It would also afford amazing views of the skyline, bay, East Bay, and the sweep of Market Street.

peanut gallery
Jul 12, 2008, 11:41 PM
^^^That would be very cool.

urbanlife
Jul 13, 2008, 6:03 AM
Oh yeah, I have nothing wrong with the building itself, I was just expecting more than what I got. Well, sorry I havent posted anything yet. I have had an extremely busy week this week, I havent even looked at the pics myself....yeah, it has been like that. I am hoping next week will be a bit more mild and I can get some things done. If I get the chance, I might even put up my now very old Seattle and Chicago pics too.

urbanlife
Jul 26, 2008, 2:54 AM
I just wanted to say, the pictures are coming. I have well over 500 pictures to shuffle through and have been busy with work since I have gotten back in town. But just wanted to say that I was going to post my impression of San Francisco.

I might be doing a test run with a new photo site I am gonna be trying out.

urbanlife
Jul 26, 2008, 1:34 PM
just a test to see if I like this site I was planning on using for image hosting. This was my very first shot in San Francisco.

http://static.zooomr.com/images/5413860_6e141d5b10.jpg

peanut gallery
Jul 26, 2008, 5:11 PM
Looks great. Can you post them in a larger size?

urbanlife
Jul 26, 2008, 11:39 PM
http://static.zooomr.com/images/5413860_6e141d5b10_b.jpg

I think I might just be able to.

OhioGuy
Jul 27, 2008, 12:35 AM
The first try was a little small, but the second try was a little big (at least for me on my laptop). Is there any sort of happy medium? :)

POLA
Jul 27, 2008, 1:14 AM
I gotta say... Even though I can't fit the whole picture on my screen, bigger is better.

urbanlife
Jul 27, 2008, 2:00 AM
it is a site I have never used before, but they are free with no limit, so I think that might be my only two sizes to work with, but I was planning on playing with it some more to see what the site can do before I start up loading a bunch of pictures.

peanut gallery
Jul 28, 2008, 3:56 AM
The bigger one looks great to me.

POLA
Aug 24, 2008, 7:58 PM
I'm waiting....:gaah:

urbanlife
Aug 27, 2008, 12:26 AM
yeah sorry about that...I have been busy and lazy since I have gotten back in town. But you are in luck.

Day One (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3760569#post3760569)

Day Two (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3761302#post3761302)

POLA
Aug 27, 2008, 5:38 AM
Awesome! Now, it's my turn. I'll be up in Portland in three days!

CHapp
Aug 27, 2008, 9:16 PM
yeah sorry about that...I have been busy and lazy since I have gotten back in town. But you are in luck.

Day One (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3760569#post3760569)

Day Two (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3761302#post3761302)

Wonderful show, and thanks so much for the links, urbanlife! :) Without them I'd have totally missed your photos.

EDIT: And please keep the links coming for future installments!

Amanita
Aug 28, 2008, 5:26 AM
Only a little over two weeks and I will be in San Francisco:)
Yes, I'll take lots of bridge porn for everyone!