PDA

View Full Version : SFO Terminal 2 Renovation

FourOneFive
May 14, 2008, 3:47 AM
SFO's old international terminal to fly again

George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2008/05/12/BUES10L1SS.DTL

The old international terminal at San Francisco International Airport, which has had a forlorn, abandoned main lobby since the terminal was closed in 2000, will bustle again with domestic passengers by the end of 2010, airport officials said Monday.

A renovation costing an estimated $383 million is planned for Terminal 2, along with a new control tower that will replace the current, seismically unsound structure, built in 1983.

Only one airline, Virgin America, is confirmed as a tenant for the refurbished terminal when it opens, late in 2010, but others will be announced as agreements are reached, said John Martin, director of SFO.

Operations ceased at Terminal 2 in December 2000 when the new International Terminal was opened, at a cost of $950 million, as part of a $2.5 billion airport master plan. Office space is still in use at Terminal 2 - for the San Francisco Airport Commission staff, Federal Aviation Administration staff and others - and it is home to the airport's medical clinic. The lobby still has counters but no travelers.

"No airport director wants to have a vacant terminal, and it will be nice to get this open after seven years," Martin said.

Gensler is architect

Gensler, the San Francisco architecture, design, planning and consulting firm, is the primary architect, and Turner Construction Co., headquartered in New York, is the contractor.

The new International Terminal opened in December 2000, and the airport intended to convert Terminal 2 to domestic use by fall 2001. But the downturn in airport traffic after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, deferred the project indefinitely.

"The approach we followed for the last seven years was to invest in new facilities only when required, a just-in-time approach, and that is why we delayed remodeling the terminal," Martin said.

But a spike in passenger travel in recent years justifies the project, he said.

Since 2003, SFO has experienced a 22 percent growth in passenger traffic, and three new domestic carriers began operations in 2007: Virgin America, JetBlue and Southwest, which operated at the airport from 1982 to 2001, then pulled out before returning in August.

Even with airline consolidation anticipated and amid an industry financial crisis largely caused by a sharp increase in jet fuel prices, the airport is confident demand will continue apace.

"We expect some steady growth over the next couple of years," added Mike McCarron, the airport spokesman.

International travel has passed pre-Sept. 11 numbers at SFO, although domestic travel is about 12 percent less than what it was when travel fell off dramatically after the terrorist attacks, McCarron said.

Face-lift for old lobby

Terminal 2 was opened in 1954. The face-lift will change much in the old lobby, including accommodating more and more paperless transactions, McCarron said.

Paper boarding passes will be going away in the airports of the future, he noted, with information electronically sent to cell phones or PDAs.

McCarron added there will be an effort to make the terminal "as environmentally friendly as possible," to include not having aircraft use engines or auxiliary power units at the gate, so they can save fuel. Vendors will be required to obtain green business certificates from San Mateo County, and there will be preferential parking for hybrid cars.

The old Terminal 2 had 10 gates; the new one will be reconfigured for 14.

Virgin America and JetBlue now use the International Terminal; Southwest is in Terminal 1.

Home for Virgin America

Virgin America, which began flying here in August, was the first of the three domestic airlines to make a commitment at SFO - in addition to establishing its headquarters in Burlingame - "and so we made a commitment to them at that time that Terminal 2 would be their permanent home," Martin said.

Also Monday, Virgin America said it plans to seek Department of Transportation approval to serve O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. The carrier said that with the major, or legacy, airlines representing 99 percent of the domestic departures at O'Hare "and low-cost airlines only representing 1 percent, Virgin America intends to add some healthy competition to the market."

David Cush, Virgin America's chief executive officer, said Monday he hopes to get a response from the government within 45 days. "Given the competition with United Airlines and American Airlines, we hope to begin marketing services as soon as possible."

Virgin America must apply because of the hourly flight restrictions that are now in place at O'Hare, said Ian Gregor, an FAA spokesman. During peak hours, a maximum of 88 domestic arrivals are allowed at O'Hare. If Virgin America is looking to add domestic service, the carrier would have to do so during any hours in which the 88 maximum flights have not been reached, or during off-peak hours, Gregor said.

Restrictions to be lifted

The restrictions are scheduled to be lifted on Oct. 31, and the government asked airlines about their intentions on serving O'Hare, prompting Virgin America's application.

In Chicago, Jean Medina, a spokeswoman for United Airlines, said, "We welcome the competition and look forward to flying our customers to the hundreds of locations they don't fly to."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm excited that SFO is finally moving forward with the renovations to Terminal 2. It appears Terminal 2 will be home to the "discount carriers": Virgin America, JetBlue, and Southwest. This will leave Terminal 1 for the SkyTeam (Delta, Northwest, Continental) airlines, and Terminal 3 for the oneworld (American) and StarAlliance (United, Air Canada, and US Airways) airlines.

After this renovation, I'm hoping SFO will reexamine the possibility of extending its runways to reduce delays during bad weather. :D

Reminiscence
May 14, 2008, 5:52 AM
I'm glad to hear they are finally getting underway with this terminal. I still remember it from when I was like 10 or so years old. There were times when my flights to Chicago were delayed and I wandered the airport killing time. This place sure brought back memories. Its also good to see a local architect in the works (Although SOM did wonders for the International Terminal, in my opinion). Also, if I'm not mistaken, is not Turner Construction the contractor for 555 Mission?

rs913
May 14, 2008, 6:40 AM
You can actually still wander through the old Terminal 2. Even though the space is completely empty (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sfo+terminal+2+abandoned&sourceid=mozilla-search%22), it's still open to the public. Walking through it at night is a surreal experience...the lights are on, but you're the only person in a huge, abandoned space.

With Virgin America expanding, though, it's about time this thing gets turned into a working terminal again.

peanut gallery
May 14, 2008, 3:45 PM
I've been wondering when this would proceed. I'm a little surprised that right now is the time. The economy is heading south, airline contraction is on the rise and with fuel costs going through the roof I wonder how many people will be priced out of flying in the not too distant future. I hope their forecasting models are accurate because I'd like to see this completed and in use again.

After this renovation, I'm hoping SFO will reexamine the possibility of extending its runways to reduce delays during bad weather. :D

Isn't it actually the distance between the runways, not the length, that causes the delays?

Reminiscence
May 15, 2008, 7:07 AM
Walking through it at night is a surreal experience...the lights are on, but you're the only person in a huge, abandoned space.

Thats actually when I did most of my wandering! I have to admit that at first it looks a little spooky, like in those movies where the guy wakes up and he's the only one in like the whole world left alive ... until something jumps at him from behind :haha:

I do love the quiet though, a man could really get some thinking done in that environment.

Reminiscence
May 15, 2008, 7:09 AM
Isn't it actually the distance between the runways, not the length, that causes the delays?

I had heard that as well. I thought it was because of our foggy nature that when it got a little too thick they would use only one runway in fears of a wing collision or something.

urbanflyer
Jul 4, 2008, 1:05 AM

That's correct. SFO's main runways used for landing, 28L/10R and 28R/10L, are physically only 750 feet apart. The FAA requires greater than 4000 feet of separation for parallel runway landing operations when visibility is at instrument flight minimums.

Currently inclement weather delays have been significantly reduced at SFO due to implementation of an ILS (Instrument Landing System) - PRM (Precision Radar Monitoring) system, in which ATC computers and on-board aircraft collision avoidance radar are used in conjunction to reduce dangers incurred by lack of adequate separation.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/projects/prm/images/prm2.gif

However the system still requires a lot of high-stress human involvement whereas the FAA separation standard is intended to reduce ATC and pilot workload. It would still be ideal to have runways farther apart but as others have mentioned the economic necessity may no longer be there.

peanut gallery
Sep 20, 2008, 1:31 AM
Now we can see the actual plans. From Today's Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/19/BA0U130LDA.DTL):

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/09/18/ba-airport19_ph__0499163437.jpg

SFO releases terminal renovation plans
Erin Allday, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, September 19, 2008

(09-18) 19:44 PDT -- How's this for a possible stress reliever - flying out of San Francisco International Airport.

Designs for the refurbished Terminal 2 were released Thursday, with a focus on details that would promote relaxation. Architects working on the project said they're well aware that flying in these high-security days is about as soothing as a drive across the Bay Bridge at 8 a.m.

"The security line is not a cattle processing area," said Terence Young, design director for Gensler of San Francisco, the project architects. "It should be calm and comfortable."

Terminal 2, the airport's original international terminal, opened in 1951 and was refurbished in 1981. It closed in 2000 when the new International Terminal opened, and has been shuttered since.

But with airport traffic growing about 8 percent a year, officials said it is time to reopen. Two international carriers - Emirates and Kingfisher airlines - will begin offering flights this fall, which will bring more traffic to the International Terminal. Domestic carriers Virgin America and JetBlue already are forced to operate out of the international terminal.

The renovation of Terminal 2 will cost about $383 million and take 2 1/2 years, with a planned opening in late 2010. Virgin America is expected to use 10 of the planned 14 gates, and about 5.5 million passengers are expected to travel through the terminal each year.

Plans for Terminal 2

-- The nearly 50,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space for local vendors will have a Main Street look. The restaurants will use sustainable food sources and feature slow food meals as much as possible. The retail area will include a spa for stressed-out travelers.

-- The security line area will focus on calm and comfort - both to lower the stress of passengers and make it easier for security employees to identify problem travelers.

-- Terminal lounges will include a variety of seating arrangements - including armchairs, small sofas and coffee tables - plus two children's play areas.

-- Art will be on prominent display throughout the terminal. Designers are commissioning new pieces and reinstalling art that has been in storage since the terminal closed in 2000. The baggage claim areas could be their own forms of kinetic art, with see-through casings allowing passengers to watch the machines operate while they wait for their luggage.

-- The ticketing area, with subdued colors and lots of windows to calm passengers, will have a large display board with arrival and departure times, and possibly a national weather map. The terminal will also include a "passenger recomposure" area for travelers to collect themselves after the security check and space for family and friends to meet after a flight.

peanut gallery
Sep 20, 2008, 1:33 AM
BTW, they've started demolition, photos of which are at the link above.

hi123
Dec 27, 2008, 8:54 PM
Is this project still moving along?