PDA

View Full Version : No Reports Anyone Felt Earthquake West Of Vancouver Island

SpongeG
Apr 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
NO REPORTS ANYONE FELT EARTHQUAKE WEST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND

Apr 27, 2008

A 4.8 MAGNITUDE QUAKE HAS HIT THE SEABED OFF THE WEST PART OF THE ISLAND

NATURAL RESOURCES CANADA SAYS THE QUAKE, THAT HIT ABOUT 150 KILOMETERS WEST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND AROUND 2:20 TODAY, WAS TOO SMALL TO BE FELT ON LAND.

THE QUAKE STRUCK CLOSEST TO PORT HARDY BUT THERE ARE NO REPORTS ANYONE FELT IT.

THE PACIFIC GEOSCIENCE CENTRE IN SIDNEY SAYS THE QUAKE HIT AT ABOUT A DEPTH OF 10 KILOMETERS BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH.

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=5185

SpongeG
Apr 29, 2008, 4:46 AM
Moderate earthquake rumbles off B.C. coast, but no one notices

VICTORIA — An earthquake measuring about 4.8 on the Richter scale shook the seabed off the northern tip of Vancouver Island Sunday afternoon.

The Pacific Geoscience Centre says the quake moved the earth at a depth of about 10 kilometres and wasn't enough to set off a tsunami warning.

The closest point of land to the quake was Port Hardy on the northwest tip of Vancouver Island.

Stephanie Thompson, the front desk clerk at Port Hardy's Seagate Hotel, says she didn't feel a thing but did notice the lights flickering for a few seconds around the same time as the quake.

An earthquake measuring between 3.5 and 5.4 on the Richter scale is often felt, but rarely causes damage to property.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ilzx8qLLhIbwVY3FEVZD7fI0Yedg

SpongeG
Apr 29, 2008, 4:48 AM
and they must keep this story around the newsroom...

Quake could happen any time: Seismologists

Updated: Mon Apr. 28 2008 18:36:38

ctvbc.ca

Seismologists warn Sunday's earthquake off the northern tip of Vancouver Island is a reminder that a major quake could occur at any time.

Seismologist John Cassidy said Sunday's quake occurred at a boundary between two oceanic plates pushed beneath Vancouver Island.

"It's a very active fault zone where this earthquake occurred," he said. "But not the same fault as where big magnitude nine would strike in the future."

One large magnitude quake was in Sumatra in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami throughout the Indian Ocean.

Vancouver Island experienced a quake of that magnitude in the year 1700. That sent a tsunami that traveled all the way to Japan.

Perhaps only felt by the fishes, Sunday's shakeup only measured 4.8 on the Richter scale.

"[During a 4.8 quake] you'd see items falling from shelves, you'd see things shaking, you might run outside because of the shaking," Cassidy explained. "It would be a good shake if you were close to that earthquake."

"We've had no reports of [Sunday's earthquake] even being felt on Vancouver Island," he said.

Seismologists cannot predict when earthquakes will occur, but say yesterday's event should serve as a reminder to be prepared.

"This is one of the most seismically active areas in Canada, just off on Vancouver Island," Cassidy said.

http://www.ctvbc.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080428/BC_Earthquake_080428/20080428/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Mike K.
Apr 29, 2008, 4:09 PM
I was actually up there at the time and didn't feel a thing, either.

240glt
Apr 29, 2008, 6:16 PM
I remember an earthquake in 2001. I was working in my Burnaby office which was located over our warehouse (Truss & Q deck construction.. very vulnerable to vibration) I was estimating a job when the big heavy 19" monitor above my plan table started to shake & I thought to myself "Who's jumping down the stairs to the warehouse ?" It took about 5 seconds to realize it was an earthquake & by that time it was over.

It was very strange sensation to say the least.

SpongeG
Apr 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
i was sitting on the floor of our apartment, it was the top floor of a 3 storey, and the floor literally felt like jello

it got all wiggly and moved

i ran out to the living room and my dad was in there and he didn't even notice

but stuff was shaking on the shelves and i really felt the movement

i never understood how it could feel like jello as people would say until that one

the last two i can remember i totally missed - the big one in seattle a few years back i was walking across the floor and didn't notice but our manager did and evacuated us all until we knew what was going on

and the one before that i think i slept through it but my room mate at the time who wasn't too long here from ontario was at work and he kinda freaked out as he had never felt one before