PDA

View Full Version : What I Like about OKC

stranger
Feb 16, 2008, 9:16 PM
I saw a thread asking for "the seven wonders of your city", so I thought I would give a little bit of an in-depth tour of Oklahoma City, just for those of you who aren't too familiar with it. I think the real reason that I am doing this is because I will only be in the area for another year and I am trying to embrace it while I can. I'm probably not going to include any of the places that people see normally, such as the Memorial. Feel free to add your own "attractions". Here we go:

Cattlemen's Steakhouse (http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com)

In my friend's copy of "The 1000 Places to See Before You Die", this is the only item listed from Oklahoma. His copy may be a couple years old but I'm pretty sure it still remains this way. Also, George H. W. Bush ate here and recommended the t-bone steak. It is in the heart of the stockyards so you really get the cowboy feel while you're eating there. Bring your boots and your cowboy hat though, or you'll feel out of place.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/3540748-Cattlemens_Steakhouse-Oklahoma_City.jpg
Picture from Virtualtourist.com

Makers Straight Up (http://www.makersokc.com)

Located in the heart of Bricktown, this is a somewhat hidden cigar lounge that, in my opinion, has the best live local jazz in Oklahoma City. Although drinks are a bit pricey, this is a great place to take a date or to just go and relax by the fireplace.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of Makers.

Pearl's Oyster Bar (http://www.funfresh.com/pearls-oyster-bar)

Although there are several locations in Oklahoma City, the best Pearl's is located at Lake Hefner. And, while OKC is not really known for its seafood, I can truly say that it tastes fresh here. On top of the seafood you get a great view of the lake. I would recommend going during the Spring or Summer and sitting outside on the patio.

http://www.funfresh.com/Websites/funfresh/Images/nwestscenerypearls%20004.JPG
Photo from the Pearl's Oyster Bar website

Western Ave. (http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/)

North of Downtown, Western Ave. is an urban district that contains fine restaurants, bars, and shopping. I would recommend eating at Sushi Neko, Deep Fork, Tokyo Sushi, and Cafe Nova. As you can tell, I enjoy sushi here. Much of Western Ave. is experiencing urban gentrification right now and I plan to snap a bunch of pictures soon.

Red Pin Bowling (http://www.bowlredpin.com)

Here's a creative idea: a bowling alley, catered to Bricktown, with a full liquor bar. This place is brand new and actually quite nice on the inside. In fact, since they make a lot of their money on the weekends from their alcohol sales, the prices to bowl are actually very cheap. I think I paid like $3.00 for my shoes and $5.00 for a lane. And, it's not like most bowling alleys where you have to sit on hard seats with neon-colored carpet that smells like cockroaches and urine -- it's more like a bowling "lounge".

http://www.bowlredpin.com/images/template/hero.jpg
Image from the Red Pin website.

That's all I have for now. Please add on to this! There are probably many places that I haven't seen yet that I need to before I leave for good.

Architect2010
Feb 17, 2008, 11:07 PM
I havent been to a lot of the places you posted, But I agree with your choices of Western Avenue and Red Pin. Very chic and have very urban upscale atmospheres to them and I love that feeling.

Major AWACS
Feb 18, 2008, 2:44 AM
Get rid of Pearls and I would say they are fine. Maybe add the pearls at the lake or Nikz if you are talking about restaurants with views.
I have done a lot of time at Maker's over the years, not bad.
I fly into OKC Thursday night to work a rent house I own there Friday and I hope to check out that Red Pin Thursday night since I fly out Friday night.
Thanks for the update on that one.

Ciao,
AWACS

stranger
Feb 26, 2008, 8:56 PM
Pearl's at the Lake was the one I meant to post. I've never been to Nikz but I want to go. How much is a meal there?

Raining Inside
Feb 28, 2008, 3:32 PM
Yay! I got my first Okie quarter today!

worthy cook
Feb 28, 2008, 4:19 PM
I'm sorry but I hate our quarters. A bird and flowers? No one outside OK even knows what a scissortail is. It should have either had a native american theme or an oil derrick or a mix of the two. That would have been better in my opinion.

urbanactivist
Feb 28, 2008, 7:12 PM
Nice thread about OKC (I'll probably steal one for houston ;) ). Definitely have to say that bricktown is a great area. I also like the Federal Building Memorial-- I visited it at night and it was very effective.

stranger
Feb 28, 2008, 9:09 PM
Here's one I can guarantee nobody has checked out:

Paw Paw's Hotdog Shack (Norman, OK)

It's a little hot dog stand off of 24th Ave. and Main. It is run by an old man with a huge white beard which I am speculating is fake. You can order any number of different hot dogs including Chicago-style, Mexi-dogs, or Kraut dogs. They're better than any hot dogs I have ever had and they have constant bluegrass music playing. Sitting in a suburban parking lot and eating hot dogs... What more can anybody ask for?

KevinFromTexas
Feb 29, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry but I hate our quarters. A bird and flowers? No one outside OK even knows what a scissortail is. It should have either had a native american theme or an oil derrick or a mix of the two. That would have been better in my opinion.

I know what a scissortail is. I've actually seen a few down here in Texas. Neat birds.

shane453
Mar 2, 2008, 11:36 PM
Cool list- I agree that the best place is Cattlemen's if you want to experience what OKC is all about. You get the strangest mix of people which really is representative of OKC- your true cowboy, your urban western people with their expensive fashion purchased in the Stockyards, regular joes, people conducting business deals, people showing their out-of-town guests the hotspot of the city... You're always going to run into all of these groups at Cattlemen's. It's hard to go to Cattlmen's and not see a local business celebrity.

Raining Inside
Mar 7, 2008, 12:42 AM
I think the coolest thing OK could have done for their state quarter would have been to put a tornado on it. Too many states have done boring things like birds and other animals.

jbrown84
Mar 13, 2008, 4:28 PM
1. Oklahoma City National Memorial
This site is a shrine to those who perished on April 19th, 1995, and a symbol of the hope that helped Oklahoma City overcome this horrific tragedy. The grounds are best viewed at night, when the crowds are thinner and the atmosphere more peaceful. Visit the indoor museum for a small fee to see more of the history behind the fateful event. This is absolutely the one thing you cannot miss whether you are just passing through or visiting for a week or two.

2. Oklahoma City Museum of Art
www.okcmoa.com
This museum is housed partially in a restored art deco movie theatre in OKC's downtown Arts District. The highlight of the museum is the permanent Chihuly: The Exhibition, the most comprehensive collection of work by the world's most renown glass artist. The permanent collection also includes a wide array of art from classical to modern, portrait to sculpture. Keep an eye out as well for the latest traveling exhibition on display. Past exhibits have included Egyptian art from the British Museum and artifacts from Napoleon's estate.

3. Western Avenue
http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/
Western Avenue is the hub of Oklahoma City's local shopping and dining scene. North of downtown, Western cuts through historic Crown Heights, past the rapidly expanding campus of Chesapeake Energy, and into posh Nichols Hills. The street is lined with unique shops, cafes, and restaurants. Highlights include The Coach House, Irma's Burger Shack, Sushi Neko, Cafe Nova, Iron Starr Urban BBQ, Salon W, Shoe Gypsy, and Kamber's Gifts. Watch for one of the best neon signs in OKC at the restored Will Rogers Theatre.

4. Bricktown
No one can visit Oklahoma City without a visit to its most popular entertainment district. Once an abandoned group of warehouses, the area became gentrified beginning in the early 80's. The big catalyst came in the 90's with the addition of a man made canal with water taxis, and the Bricktown Ballpark, home of the AAA Oklahoma Redhawks. The area now has a mix of chain restaurants such as Abuelo's and Spaghetti Warehouse, and local favorites like Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse and Pearl's Crabtown. Bricktown is also home to a bevy of entertainment options, including numerous dance clubs and bars of all types, a bowling lounge, a comedy club, a Harkins movie theatre, and various live music venues. Flaming Lips fans will want to make sure and get a snapshot in Flaming Lips Alley, on the north side of the ballpark.

5. State Capitol
The Oklahoma State Capitol for many years was domeless, a casualty of WWII-era funding shortages. In 2001, a dome was finally dedicated and topped with a new statue--The Guardian, a Native American in warrior garb. A replica can be seen inside the rotunda, along with art depicting famous Oklahomans including Olympian Jim Thorpe and entertainer Will Rogers. The west wing is home to the State Art Collection, which showcases works of Oklahoma artists. Don't forget to look up, as the inside of the dome is a brilliant display of color, angles, and patterns.

6. RED Prime Steak
http://www.redprimesteak.com/
RED Prime Steak, in downtown's up-and-coming Automobile Alley district, is housed in an historic Buick dealership built in 1911. The restaurant's modern design using red neon and LED was created by internationally known architect Rand Elliot. The atmosphere and fine food make this Oklahoma City's best restaurant, but it's also among the most expensive. The restaurant is just a short walk from downtown hotels, and provides valet service for those coming by car.

7. National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum
Western culture may not be on everyone's top 10 list, but you can't go wrong with a visit to this fine museum. The art alone is worth the price of admission. Most notable is James Earle Fraser's statue "The End of the Trail", depicting a downtrodden Indian on the Trail of Tears. The museum also has several areas that are great for kids, like the Children's Cowboy Corral and Prosperity Junction, a replica of a turn of the century frontier town.

8. Paseo Arts District
http://www.thepaseo.com/
The Paseo, in uptown off 23rd Street, is Oklahoma City's most active artist community. The residential area consists of small bungalows and 2-story brick 4-plexes, most of which are restored and house young professionals and more bohemian types. In the center of the district is the home of over 60 working artists displaying their art in historic galleries all within walking distance. The Paseo is also home of several bars and restaurants, as well as gift shops, a yoga studio, and an experimental theatre company. The best times to visit are the First Friday Gallery Walks once a month--when the galleries stay open late and serve wine and snacks--and the Paseo Arts Festival, held every May.

9. Hilton Skirvin Hotel
www.skirvinhilton.com
Even if you don't stay here, it is well worth a visit to the lobby of this grand historic hotel. After sitting empty for nearly 2 decades, developers revived the hotel in 2007 as a Hilton property. The lobby has wood paneling, original tile, and several crystal chandeliers. Just off the lobby is The Red Piano, a wonderful lounge with live jazz, and the Park Avenue Grill, a fine addition to the OKC restaurant scene. Off the west side of the lobby is a hallway with various historical artifacts from the hotel, including pictures of celebrities' visits and an original bell-hop uniform.

10. Civic Center Music Hall
http://www.okcciviccenter.org/index.html
If you get a chance, try to see a performing arts event in the remodeled art deco Civic Center Music Hall, home to The Oklahoma City Philharmonic, Canterbury Choral Society, Ballet Oklahoma, Lyric Theatre, Oklahoma City Theatre Company, City Rep Theatre, traveling Broadway shows, and more. The Thelma Gaylord Performing Arts Center, with 2481 seats and three balconies, is the city's grandest venue. Check calendars, as there's something going on almost every night at the Civic Center.