PDA

View Full Version : New 45 Story Tower - Century City - Jean Nouvel Designed

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 8, 2008, 6:18 AM
The Century City / Beverly Hills Corridor is going to be pretty nuts in a couple of years with all these interesting projects...

New heights of luxury in Century City
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Imyurdada/35360824.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Imyurdada/35360884.jpg
Jean Nouvel
Email Picture
Mark Segal / Ateliers Jean Nouvel
Artists rendering showing a 45-story condo building proposed for 10000 Santa Monica Blvd. on the edge of Century City. SunCal Cos. plans to build the 177-unit tower designed by architect Jean Nouvel. It would cost $400 million.
A garden-ringed condo tower is proposed for one of the Westside's most coveted available parcels.
By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 8, 2008
Plans for a 45-story, wisp-thin tower of ultra-luxury condominiums between Beverly Hills High School and Los Angeles Country Club are set to be unveiled today. Developers say it would be one of the most expensive residential buildings in the West.

The $400-million tower along one of the area's toniest corridors would be the first building in California designed by renowned Paris architect Jean Nouvel, known for his daring designs. He is proposing a narrow glass structure with sweeping views through the building and extensive greenery ringing each floor.

Jean Nouvel
Jean Nouvel
click to enlarge

The developer predicts the project will attract European and Asian globe-trotters as well as local empty-nesters ready to move from sprawling Westside mansions to roomy condominiums complete with concierge services, a private club, first-run movie screenings and valet parking.

Even at a time of economic uncertainty when Southern California employers are trimming payrolls, stock prices are falling and home values are dropping, the demand for luxury housing continues nearly unabated in the Westside. And with it has come more traffic and growing homeowner resentment about constant construction and congestion.

Prices have not been set for the proposed condos at 10000 Santa Monica Blvd. But units in the ultra-luxury Century tower being built in nearby Century City are being offered at a range of $3.2 million to $30 million, and the Nouvel condos are expected to be even more pricey.

Two top-drawer projects are also being planned around the intersection of Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards in Beverly Hills. Last year British developers paid $500 million for the former Robinson-May department store there where a 252-unit condo and retail complex designed by prominent architect Richard Meier has been proposed.

"How much can high-end product can the market bear in such a close proximity?" asked real estate broker Gary Weiss of Madison Partners, who called the planned Nouvel building "extraordinarily ambitious."

Nouvel's developer, SunCal Cos., said it was undeterred by slumping home sales In Southern California and hoped to break ground in 2009. The company said it expected to start seeking formal city approvals next week.

"What we are really doing is addressing an underserved component of the market," said Frank Faye, chief operating officer of SunCal. "We are confident we would be able to sell these units today and we will be able to sell them quite rapidly once they're made available."

Considered one of the most desirable locations for development in the country, the vacant lot was the subject of a high-profile bidding war in 2006 when Irvine home builder SunCal finally topped New York developer Donald Trump with a $110.2-million offer for just 2.4 acres.

Ever since, the site has been eyed with curiosity and suspicion in an area where homeowners have already expressed alarm about the rapid pace of development. "The truth is that people are happy in their neighborhood and they don't want to see it change," said Kevin Hughes, president of the Cheviot Hills Homeowners' Assn.

Plans call for 177 units, with two to six condominiums per floor. Elevators would serve every condo directly so there would be no corridors between units.

"Each residence is designed as a home in the sky surrounded by an abundance of plants and flowers but with no visual limits to the spectacular views of the city, mountains and ocean," Nouvel said.

In Los Angeles, "We have to build buildings especially for this climate," he said. "From the boulevard it will look like a vertical garden."

City Councilman Jack Weiss, who represents Century City, said he supported Nouvel's concept. "We have never had someone of this caliber designing something residential on the Westside," he said.

"My public-policy goal has been to make Century City a world-class residential destination," Weiss said. "That creates benefits because people can live near where they work and traffic is generated at off-peak hours."

But some neighborhood residents are skeptical about how beneficial ultra-luxury housing would be.

"To make Century City truly livable you need housing for people who work there who aren't presidents of their companies," said Barbara Broide, president of the Westwood South of Santa Monica Boulevard Homeowners Assn. "That's what we need to take car trips off the street."

The mayor of Beverly Hills echoes Broide's concern about how the building might add to congestion. "It will not be easy to digest for Beverly Hills people who are already getting a lot of traffic that is not Beverly Hills traffic."

Faye, the developer, however, said that the residential tower would generate less traffic than the office building that used to occupy the site. The previous owner demolished the building that once housed several tenants, including Jimmy's restaurant.

Faye also said he thought the Nouvel building would be set apart from rivals both in price and amenities. But competition lurks with many other pricey units coming to market.

Westfield, the owner of Century City's shopping center, plans to build 262 upscale condos or apartments to complement its recent $170-million makeover of the mall. And Century City landlord JMB Realty Corp. plans to build 483 units on Constellation Boulevard.

Owners of the Beverly Hilton Hotel also plan to add upmarket condos as part of a major upgrade and expansion on the property. Other high-end condos overlooking Los Angeles Country Club and at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills are being built.

The Nouvel design of SunCal's planned tower is intentionally ambitious, Faye said. "This is an exciting opportunity," he said. "The worst thing we could do is under-deliver."

edluva
Feb 8, 2008, 7:40 AM
goes to show, the westside is where the pretty stuff continues to go up. DTLA continues building orsini's, glow's, and buildings around LED signs (and not the other way around) in vain efforts of "downtown's arrival", meanwhile the real good stuff continues popping up randomly throughout the westside without the civic-minded pretensions. I can barely tell from the rendering, but I'm already interested in this one because of the architect.

Steve2726
Feb 8, 2008, 2:55 PM
Wow! :eeekk: I Hope it gets built.

Here is a link to the project on the company's website:

http://www.suncal.com/community/?id=28

LAMetroGuy
Feb 8, 2008, 5:08 PM
goes to show, the westside is where the pretty stuff continues to go up. DTLA continues building orsini's, glow's, and buildings around LED signs (and not the other way around) in vain efforts of "downtown's arrival", meanwhile the real good stuff continues popping up randomly throughout the westside without the civic-minded pretensions. I can barely tell from the rendering, but I'm already interested in this one because of the architect.

I know, right... its just so fetch! :haha:

sopas ej
Feb 8, 2008, 5:52 PM
Elevators would serve every condo directly so there would be no corridors between units.

Sounds like it'd be a bitch to visit your next door neighbor. I'm sure the mailman will have fun too.

Echo Park
Feb 8, 2008, 8:18 PM
Well there will probably be a mailroom I assume. But yeah personal elevators for your condo sounds like insular pandering to wealthy buyers and a disregard for community--in other words, pefect for the westside!

sopas ej
Feb 8, 2008, 9:19 PM
Well there will probably be a mailroom I assume. But yeah personal elevators for your condo sounds like insular pandering to wealthy buyers and a disregard for community--in other words, pefect for the westside!

That's right, a mailroom. Then the concierge or whoever can bring the mail to each individual unit. And I would assume that emergency exits have been worked out, too.

Insular pandering, sure. But it's L.A. Who here really knows their neighbors? And actually, that kinda sounds cool; can you imagine not ever having to bump into your neighbor? I always felt that the best neighbors are the ones that leave you the hell alone.

ksep
Feb 9, 2008, 1:32 AM
the tomahawk building in downtown also has an elevator that drops you off INSIDE your apartment. that's right, each unit has its own private elevator lobby. how cool is that?

DJM19
Feb 9, 2008, 1:38 AM
well if you really want to visit your neighbor you can hop in the elevator and go down a floor. I guess they arent really your neighbor...but whatever.

edluva
Feb 9, 2008, 3:04 AM
I know, right... its just so fetch! :haha:

like, totally (i had to look that up)

friedpez
Feb 9, 2008, 6:13 AM
Yeah, individual elevators aren't as uncommon as they sound. When we were in the market for a condo on the Westside a lot of buildings had unit-specific elevators. I thought it was a little lame, but hey, different strokes for different folks. This building looks pretty interesting, tho. I hope it gets built.

yeah215
Feb 9, 2008, 2:28 PM
It would be a bummer to have such a great view of the city and just look out over a cactus 40 stories in the sky.

sopas ej
Feb 9, 2008, 3:55 PM
It would be a bummer to have such a great view of the city and just look out over a cactus 40 stories in the sky.

That crossed my mind too... I'm sure the homeowner's association wouldn't like it if someone ripped out the plants outside of their window, even though it might make for a better view.

The plants on the outside is the thing I don't like about this building. Perfect for Century City, though... the buildings there look like they were designed to be a backdrop while driving through it, not something to be admired up close. Century City is so car-oriented, you never see people walking there, it always feels like a sterile ghost town while driving down Avenue of the Stars.

WonderlandPark
Feb 10, 2008, 2:02 AM
please___please___please___please___please
___please___please___please___please___
___please___please___please___please___ build it

DowntownCharlieBrown
Mar 31, 2008, 3:52 AM
French architect Jean Nouvel wins Pritzker Prize
Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:32pm EDT

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN3033960020080330?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - French architect Jean Nouvel has been awarded the 2008 Pritzker Prize, the highest honor for architecture, for his creative experimentation and buildings that speak to their surroundings, the Pritzker jury said on Sunday.

In nearly four decades, Nouvel has designed more than 200 projects in his native France, around Europe, in Asia and the United States, fighting what he calls "generic architecture."

"His inquisitive and agile mind propels him to take risks in each of his projects, which, regardless of varying degrees of success, have greatly expanded the vocabulary of contemporary architecture," the jury said in its citation.

Nouvel, 62, said he was surprised at winning the $100,000 prize this year since he is not inaugurating any major work, but felt "very honored" to join the elite group of 32 Pritzker laureates. He is the second French architect to win the prize.

"I am very happy to be in a club of good friends, like Frank Gehry, Renzo Piano, Zaha Hadid," Nouvel told Reuters by telephone from Paris.

Nouvel gained international prominence with his Institut du Monde Arabe (Arab World Institute), built in Paris in 1987 and famous for using adjustable metal lenses on a glass facade to control interior light -- a modern take on traditional Arab latticework.

The layering of light and transparency and opacity are recurring themes in Nouvel's work, most recently in his Tour Verre, a 75-story tower to be built in New York City, and in the Suncal Tower, a high-rise planned for Los Angeles.

Nouvel said he enjoys playing with the reflections of clouds and vegetation on the surfaces of his buildings.

"These games of light and depth of field are here to create a question about the reasons for this building in this world," he said.

'A FORM OF RESISTANCE'

The jury praised Nouvel for making each building different and relevant to its environment and circumstances.

"For Nouvel, in architecture there is is no 'style' a priori," jury chairman Lord Palumbo said. "Rather, a context, interpreted in the broadest sense to include culture, location, program and client, provokes him to develop a different strategy for each project."

The jury made special mention of Nouvel's 2006 Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, which created "a dialogue" with the waters of the Mississippi River and the historic mills.

"All my life, I have fought against generic architecture and fought for specific architecture," said Nouvel, whose other buildings include the sleekly curved Dentsu Tower in Tokyo and the gherkin-shaped Torre Agbar in Barcelona.

"When you travel around the world, in the big cities, you see exactly the same buildings," he added. "I think it is important in this globalization to consider that architecture is a form of resistance to this uniformization of the world."

The Pritzker Prize was created by the Chicago-based Pritzker family, owners of the Hyatt hotel chain. He will receive the prize on June 2 in Washington.

"When you have the Pritzker Prize, you have another responsibility," Nouvel said. "It is one more reason to do the best building and could, in some situations, probably help to convince people to do better architecture."

JDRCRASH
Apr 3, 2008, 6:42 PM
^
Good for him!:D

As for the tower; build it, BUILD IT!:hyper:

LosAngelesBeauty
Apr 3, 2008, 7:14 PM
"When you travel around the world, in the big cities, you see exactly the same buildings," he added. "I think it is important in this globalization to consider that architecture is a form of resistance to this uniformization of the world."

Yeah, tell me about it.

edluva
Apr 8, 2008, 4:54 AM
resistance to uniformization is an idealistic concept that ultimately never holds true, but it's romantic nonetheless.

LosAngelesBeauty
Apr 8, 2008, 7:08 AM
^ Yeah tell me about it

zaphod
Apr 11, 2008, 5:29 AM
I guess it is only sinking in now that this would be one weird ass building, how many highrise structures do you know have "exterior cacti detailing"...but then it's cool I guess

Steve2726
Apr 28, 2008, 4:43 PM
There is another render available here:

http://www.archpaper.com/news/2008_0330.htm

It is flash, I don't know how to post and need some help. Scroll thru the photos to get to "Green Blade".

Quixote
Apr 28, 2008, 11:41 PM
And here's a larger version of the rendering posted on the first page...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/trolltoast/pic2.jpg

Quixote
Apr 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
There is another render available here:

http://www.archpaper.com/news/2008_0330.htm

It is flash, I don't know how to post and need some help. Scroll thru the photos to get to "Green Blade".

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/2450052151_4e8165fa19_o.jpg

Echo Park
Apr 29, 2008, 1:33 AM
damn. wish it were in downtown!

JDRCRASH
Apr 29, 2008, 5:19 PM
damn. wish it were in downtown!

But it isn't.

Echo Park
Apr 29, 2008, 11:20 PM
amazing insight, JDR.

bjornson
Apr 29, 2008, 11:46 PM
^I really wanted to say the exact same thing in a more light hearted tone, but I just didn't have the heart; you summed it up so eloquently.

Steve2726
Jun 20, 2008, 2:49 PM
New render:

http://bustler.net/index.php/article/winners_of_the_38th_annual_los_angeles_architectural_awards/

http://bustler.net/images/uploads/38_la_arch_awards_32.jpg

The Model
Oct 9, 2008, 7:11 PM
Looks like the Grand Hyatt in San Antonio, nothing I would be proud of.
Go Spurs Go:notacrook:

LAsam
Oct 9, 2008, 8:59 PM
I'd be surprised if this project isn't dead. Wasn't Lehman a major financer?

LosAngelesBeauty
Oct 9, 2008, 9:20 PM
Looks like the Grand Hyatt in San Antonio, nothing I would be proud of.
Go Spurs Go:notacrook:

I'm sorry I don't see the resemblance?

http://www.nbia.org/nbia_events/conf2008/images/P_HYATT.jpg
from nbia.org

http://www.csweek.org/Conference32/images/GrandHyatt200.jpg
from csweek.org

JDRCRASH
Oct 14, 2008, 7:19 PM
:haha:

The Model
Oct 15, 2008, 7:19 PM
The resemblence, is that its a big and tall wall of windows.
Very thin on the sides. Building materials are different.