PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Raiders eye Dublin site for stadium

urban_encounter
Jan 12, 2008, 7:52 AM
Oakland Raiders eye Dublin site for stadium
by Jessica Saunders East Bay Business Times

Oakland Raiders officials have proposed building a new football stadium on 180acres at Camp Parks in Dublin currently being marketed by the U.S. Army Reserve and NASA, the East Bay Business Times has learned.

Dublin Mayor Janet Lockhart was cool to the idea when team representatives spoke with her on Thursday at a day-long presentation for developers interested in the proposed land exchange and sale.

Speaking with the Business Times on Friday, Lockhart said Mark Davis, son of team owner Al Davis, and Tom Blanda, the team's director of finance and technology, told her the National Football League team wanted to build a stadium on the land. The Raiders' contract at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland expires in 2010.

According to the mayor, Davis and Blanda said, "'We think the Raiders belong out here. We think we should put a stadium on this land,' and I told them I didn't agree with them."

Lockhart said a professional football stadium is an inappropriate development to locate in the heart of a small suburban community. Dublin's population was 43,630 in January 2007 and is expected to grow to no larger than 65,000 at build-out in 10 to 15 years. The Camp Parks land is located in the center of town along Dublin Boulevard, one exit from the junction of Interstate 580 and Interstate 680 and directly opposite the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and transit center.

"You are talking about the middle, the very heart of our community," Lockhart said. "If we were to build a stadium on that property, it would affect every resident in our community. We have only Dublin Boulevard and the (I-580) freeway to connect the east and west sides of our community. We are a long, narrow city."

Lockhart said she understands everyone is looking for the last big piece of land to develop, but when it is in the heart of the city, putting a stadium there "doesn't make sense."

"My personal opinion is it would destroy the city of Dublin if we even considered it," the mayor said.

At the Thursday "Industry Day" event at Camp Parks, Davis and Blanda said they were gathering information about the land exchange concept and how it works. Davis did not return telephone calls seeking comment Friday.

The Raiders' contract to play games at the Oakland Coliseum expires at the end of the 2010 football season, said Ann Hale, executive director of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority.

The city of Dublin developed five mixed-use concepts for the 180 acres at Camp Parks two years ago, and has recommended one of them to the Army. The recommended use is a mix of retail, housing and public uses like parks and an elementary school. A stadium was not in any of the plans.

But the City Council did not formally adopt it, according to a city planner's presentation Thursday. The city must first amend its General Plan to include the property, work out a development agreement with the chosen developer and then re-zone the acreage, which is currently agricultural.

"We did not specify that anyone has to follow one of those plans," Lockhart said. "The message we were trying to convey to those interested in doing the land exchange is, these are the uses and densities we would like to see on the land."

The Army Reserve controls about 171 acres of the 180-acre parcel and NASA holds the rest.

Because the Army cannot sell land, it is proposing to exchange it for construction of buildings and structures at Camp Parks. NASA would sell its approximately eight-acre parcel to the same developer.

krudmonk
Jan 12, 2008, 8:01 AM
Cue all the BART-dependents bitching about suburbs a la A's-to-Fremont...

Gordo
Jan 12, 2008, 5:46 PM
Cue all the BART-dependents bitching about suburbs a la A's-to-Fremont...

"The Camp Parks land is located in the center of town along Dublin Boulevard, one exit from the junction of Interstate 580 and Interstate 680 and directly opposite the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and transit center."

krudmonk
Jan 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
"The Camp Parks land is located in the center of town along Dublin Boulevard, one exit from the junction of Interstate 580 and Interstate 680 and directly opposite the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and transit center."
You mean I have to read everything? What a chore...

Next time I won't be so eager to mouth off. ;)

Frisco_Zig
Jan 13, 2008, 6:22 AM
You mean I have to read everything? What a chore...

Next time I won't be so eager to mouth off. ;)

Also football and baseball totally different. I really have no problem with football teams playing 10 games per year in a suburban site as urban land might be to dear for football

Baseball in a strip mall though is a damn shame and a disgrace

krudmonk
Jan 13, 2008, 6:05 PM
Also football and baseball totally different. I really have no problem with football teams playing 10 games per year in a suburban site as urban land might be to dear for football

Baseball in a strip mall though is a damn shame and a disgrace
The importance of the ritual of tailgating came to light when the 49ers SC proposal mentioned a parking garage. Football fans like to have their open lots, so maybe suburban settings are even better (except Santa Clara). It's also not a crowd that hits the town after the game.

roadwarrior
Jan 13, 2008, 7:04 PM
Not sure how the affluent residents of the tri-valley area would like having the riff-raff Oakland fans invading their neighborhoods multiple times per year.

Frisco_Zig
Jan 13, 2008, 9:07 PM
Not sure how the affluent residents of the tri-valley area would like having the riff-raff Oakland fans invading their neighborhoods multiple times per year.

Actually comes from places like Livermore, and Dublin and Roseville and not really Oakland

krudmonk
Jan 13, 2008, 9:36 PM
Would there be any way to expedite this move and knock down Mt Davis for a revamped baseball venue with views of the hills? If Dodger Stadium can get by as a 1960s "classic", so can the Coliseum.

roadwarrior
Jan 13, 2008, 10:33 PM
Actually comes from places like Livermore, and Dublin and Roseville and not really Oakland

Even so, the new parts of Dublin are very much upscale. I'm not sure if the Raiders fan base fits in well with that.

krudmonk
Jan 13, 2008, 11:15 PM
Even so, the new parts of Dublin are very much upscale. I'm not sure if the Raiders fan base fits in well with that.
I can't tell if you're buying into stereotypes of Raider fans or if you're wary of Dublin doing so, but I would that such is not an issue when the matter comes into serious consideration.

roadwarrior
Jan 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
I can't tell if you're buying into stereotypes of Raider fans or if you're wary of Dublin doing so, but I would that such is not an issue when the matter comes into serious consideration.

Well, I'd say it is a combination of my views and what I'd expect to see from residents of Dublin. I have been to a Raider game before, so I can speak from experience. While not all Raider fans fall into this mold, a significant percentage do. Certainly more than what I've seen from other NFL teams that I've seen games at (Niners, Chargers, Cardinals). If you want to bash me for not being 100% PC and because you disagree with me on other issues, that is your perogative. However, my assessment is based on what I've personally witnessed.

Then again, money talks. Dublin may be willing to put up with some less appealing visitors for the additional revenue generated.

krudmonk
Jan 14, 2008, 1:45 AM
Well, I'd say it is a combination of my views and what I'd expect to see from residents of Dublin. I have been to a Raider game before, so I can speak from experience. While not all Raider fans fall into this mold, a significant percentage do. Certainly more than what I've seen from other NFL teams that I've seen games at (Niners, Chargers, Cardinals). If you want to bash me for not being 100% PC and because you disagree with me on other issues, that is your perogative. However, my assessment is based on what I've personally witnessed.

Then again, money talks. Dublin may be willing to put up with some less appealing visitors for the additional revenue generated.
I'm not bashing you because I agree that the crowd is less than desirable, but it's largely over-dramatized by many people who have never immersed themselves in the experience. Images of lowriders and tattoos dance in their heads.

tuy
Jan 14, 2008, 3:31 AM
I would much rather see the dense villages concept for this land. There is some info here on a Dublin Blog.

http://arounddublin.blogspot.com/2007/11/here-we-grow-again.html

Gordo
Jan 14, 2008, 6:26 AM
I would much rather see the dense villages concept for this land. There is some info here on a Dublin Blog.

http://arounddublin.blogspot.com/2007/11/here-we-grow-again.html

I dunno...that's some pretty valuable land close to the core next to a BART station that the current stadium sits on. How about we move the Raiders to Dublin, then redevelop the Coliseum area with high density residential - Oracle Arena is used much more often (or will be after the A's move too) and could stay as a centerpiece of the area.

dimondpark
Jan 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
Actually I heard at a city council meeting once that most of the season ticket holders live in the Stockton and Modesto Areas-Oaklanders themselves are a small percentage of people who attend games.

I hope they move and Oakland builds the Warriors a downtown arena than converts the entire Coliseum Area to something that attracts more revenue like finally moving the B'Way auto row to 880.

Coliseum Lexus of Oakland(as its called) and Infiniti of Oakland are both among the top tier dealerships in sales in their respective brands nationwide, and that's primarily due to their location along the very busy 880 freeway. Move all the underperforming dealerships from DT to the Freeway and I think sales will soar-thus generating far more revenue than the Raiders and As did.

Then we can totally redevelop Broadway and add hundreds if not thousands of high density housing units.

Either that or I say build a University along 880. That's something I've heard Dellums mention in the past.

Daydreaming is fun.

Gordo
Jan 15, 2008, 12:17 AM
:previous: Both excellent ideas. Certainly the land that the Coliseum is now on could be put to much higher use - and the idea that we have a place right next to a BART station further out is very intriguing.

peanut gallery
Jan 15, 2008, 4:50 AM
On the other hand, football stadiums aren't cheap and the Coliseum is halfway done for football. Once the A's move, they could demolish the old bowl and build a mirror to Mt. Davis. I think that would have to be cheaper than starting from scratch somewhere else.

tuy
Jan 15, 2008, 7:09 AM
They should move to the Central Valley. A good location would be just North of Stockton so they would draw from Sacramento.

Both Stockton Raiders and Central Valley Raiders have a good ring to them.

rs913
Jan 15, 2008, 5:28 PM
Raiders to Dublin sounds pretty good. It would be more convenient for a lot of their fans. Suburban location but close to BART is a good combination. The area is still fairly low-density and could absorb a stadium easily.

As for Raider fan stereotypes, my cousin once rode BART on the way back from a Raiders game and sat next to a fan in full-on face/body paint, spikes, leather, the whole bit. They got to chatting, and he turned out to be this soft-spoken accountant type (who knew a lot about football). The team's fanbase definitely has an image, but I'll bet a lot of it's just for show and they have their share of yuppie fans just like every other NFL team. I'd be curious if there are any stats as to whether there are more fights, arrests, etc. at Raider games vs the rest of the league.

Then again, being a NIMBY has always been about irrational fear rather than logic anyway... :rolleyes:

BigKidD
Jan 15, 2008, 8:45 PM
Well, at least a new stadium would be near a Bart station. And the fans are not too bad, the Coliseum atmosphere has gotten a lot better in recent years. Not many fights or scuffles anymore and profanity uttered at least where I sit.

Ronin
Jan 17, 2008, 12:15 AM
Seriously, if all the fans were really like their image of a thugged out punk causing trouble, I doubt they would be able to shell out the $$$ it takes to watch a football game. It sure ain't cheap.

As for the stadium, I think it's a great idea. It's close enough for the East Bay fans to just go over the hill, while also catering to the folks out in the Valley. Plus, Bart access is always a plus. I give it the :tup:

tuy
Jan 18, 2008, 7:12 AM
The A's also looked at a site near the Dublin BART station a few years back. I seriously doubt that this will happen for the Raiders.