PDA

View Full Version : What building is this in Houston?

KevinFromTexas
Dec 27, 2007, 6:05 PM
I've been trying to add the photo to Emporis, and look for the building's name there, but I haven't seen it.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/KevinFromTexas/Houston/P1090973EDIT.jpg

totheskies
Dec 27, 2007, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the diligence Kev...

Not sure, but I want to say it's part of the Harris County government bldgs. I wish I were in town so I could drive by :(

JAM
Dec 27, 2007, 8:39 PM
Is it showing up on here:

http://www.houstondowntown.com/Home/GeneralInfo/GettingAround/Maps/AboveBelow/Above%20&%20Below%20Map.PDF

Shasta
Dec 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
That's the old Cotton Exchange Bldg (not to be confused with the really old Cotton Exchange Bldg which is a 3 story red brick that became home to the Cotton Bar a few years ago). It is now a Harris County Count Annex Bldg.

Wattleigh
Dec 27, 2007, 11:41 PM
If you're logged into the extranet, you should be able to directly upload it to this page: https://community.emporis.com/wm/bu/?lng=3&id=174397

KevinFromTexas
Dec 28, 2007, 5:53 AM
Thanks guys. WesternGulf says it's the Anderson Clayton Building, and I was able to find it at Emporis with that name. I added the photo. I took that picture during the forum meet back in July figuring I'd be able to find its name, and so far it was the only one I had trouble with. Look for my pictures once they're rendered in a few days. I took several pictures of some of the older smaller buildings in that area from a parking garage along Texas Street. Boris and I ran up there for a quick shoot while the other forumers had a drink. ;)

JAM
Dec 28, 2007, 4:24 PM
Houston Emporis building count seems a little low, doesn't it? I haven't looked over there for a while, but remembered Minneapolis having about the same number of buildings if not more, which doesn't seem accurate.

Wattleigh
Dec 28, 2007, 5:30 PM
Houston Emporis building count seems a little low, doesn't it? I haven't looked over there for a while, but remembered Minneapolis having about the same number of buildings if not more, which doesn't seem accurate.

Houston = 1,039 Structures
Minneapolis = 909 Structures

KevinFromTexas
Dec 28, 2007, 6:34 PM
Minneapolis has at least two very dedicated editors who actually live there. That's the reason for the high number there. Basically editors at Emporis can work on any city they want to, but obviously the one they call home will get the most attention and be most complete. I do what I can for other cities, mostly through the internet, but sometimes it's best to actually be there for certain things.

I'm sure if someone from Houston who was serious about being an editor at Emporis, and gathering and adding info wanted to, they could join up and contribute to the city's database.

Wattleigh
Dec 28, 2007, 6:38 PM
I'm sure if someone from Houston who was serious about being an editor at Emporis, and gathering and adding info wanted to, they could join up and contribute to the city's database.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the only one on there who lives in the area and takes the time to update, add and correct from what I know of and see around town. Takes a fair bit of time, but it's worth it. :)

JAM
Dec 28, 2007, 7:33 PM
Minneapolis has at least two very dedicated editors who actually live there. That's the reason for the high number there. Basically editors at Emporis can work on any city they want to, but obviously the one they call home will get the most attention and be most complete. I do what I can for other cities, mostly through the internet, but sometimes it's best to actually be there for certain things.

Yeah, I was guessing it was something like that. I guess the boys in Houston don't feel like they have anything to prove.

BTW - I was mistaken on where I saw the data, it was http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?10=1

I'm guessing Houston a few more buildings than 188!

KevinFromTexas
Dec 28, 2007, 7:48 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much the only one on there who lives in the area and takes the time to update, add and correct from what I know of and see around town. Takes a fair bit of time, but it's worth it. :)

That's cool. I didn't know we actually had any resident Houston editors. I didn't know you live there.

I'm guessing Houston a few more buildings than 188!

Yeah, that number is way off. Emporis lists 1,038 buildings in all for Houston, and 457 of those are highrises. Also the databases at Emporis and SkyscraperPage a lot different from each other. They count buildings differently, and Emporis tends to be more thorough about things.

Tex1899
Dec 29, 2007, 2:35 PM
Thanks guys. WesternGulf says it's the Anderson Clayton Building, and I was able to find it at Emporis with that name. I added the photo. I took that picture during the forum meet back in July figuring I'd be able to find its name, and so far it was the only one I had trouble with. Look for my pictures once they're rendered in a few days. I took several pictures of some of the older smaller buildings in that area from a parking garage along Texas Street. Boris and I ran up there for a quick shoot while the other forumers had a drink. ;)

The Anderson-Clayton Co. was a cotton company of sorts. The Anderson and the Clayton? M.D. Anderson and Will Clayton (one of the routes into IAH). I only know this b/c my dad's a member of the Humble-Intercontinental Rotary Club and one of their speakers mentioned it - they meet at the Humble Civic Center on Will Clayton Pkwy.

totheskies
Dec 29, 2007, 6:03 PM
Wow, Houston only has 188 buildings!!!! Thanks SSP, we can always count on you (and your forumers) to give Houston the ultimate amount of support:tup: :tup: :koko:

Slowly but surely, I'm learning how to work on these programs, and I will try to edit/update this info on SSP. But it's kind of silly... downtown is stuck in 2001 at best, and at least 1/4th of the med center is not listed!!

KevinFromTexas
Dec 29, 2007, 6:49 PM
Yeah. I love SSP to pieces, been coming to this website for 10 years, but I really don't like the way their database is setup. I do however like the templates at Emporis. It just seems more tidy. Believe me, I've been bringing up this issue for a long time.

Xeelee
Dec 31, 2007, 4:09 PM
cool pic