PDA

View Full Version : Katy Tigers headed to state

Trae
Dec 16, 2007, 12:25 AM
The Katy Tigers just completely destroyed San Antonio Madison 66-21. I'm going to be at the game in SA against Pflugerville. Katy will win!

TexasBoi
Dec 16, 2007, 12:39 AM
I think Texas is the only state where the suburban high school teams far outclass the inner city teams. I mean, when's the last time an inner city school from both Dallas and Houston won state in 5A or 4A. I think Lincoln came close in 2004 and it was big news in Texas.

JManc
Dec 16, 2007, 2:54 AM
becuase the suburban school districts spend big bucks on their high school football programs. cy-fair as a bigger and better stadium than most colleges.

Trae
Dec 16, 2007, 2:58 AM
Katy I.S.D. will be building a new stadium near Cinco Ranch. It will be complete by 2010 I heard. Here is the Berry Center in Cy-Fair that you are talking about:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/301703443_6e553d9b32.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/301703440_04874c0150.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/301703437_e03ae5232c.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/301705814_2da644f01b.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/301705822_cee28d57fe.jpg?v=0

TexasBoi
Dec 16, 2007, 4:03 AM
becuase the suburban school districts spend big bucks on their high school football programs. cy-fair as a bigger and better stadium than most colleges.

Yeah true and I show people here in DC and NOVA these stadiums and they are shocked at the way these stadiums look.

sirkingwilliam
Dec 16, 2007, 4:19 AM
Madison was missing the best RB in the city of SA. They've actually haven't had him on the team for over a month (injury) but were still able to advance deep into the playoffs. Had Green been there, who knows what would have happened. Good Job anyway Madison!

On another related note: Judson (Converse) beat North Shore to advance to the 5A division I finals against either Plano or Trinity, both DFW suburban schools. From what I gather it's amazing that Judson is still capable of being this good since Judson ISD built a second high school (Wagner) that opened in 2005. It caused the pool of football players to split up. What's interesting is that Wagner themselves have a pretty good team.

Dragonfire
Dec 16, 2007, 5:02 PM
One of the things I always say to people is that you know you're in Texas when high school football stadiums are bigger than college football stadiums.

The Round Rock ISD Athletic Complex here in Round Rock (known as The Palace), was built a few years ago, and it's amazing. Picture of The Palace (http://209.184.141.5/athletics/Stadium/newsta2a.jpg)

Anyways, Pflugerville will win the championship in San Antonio. I wish I could go but I have other plans that day. What's strange is that earlier in the season Pflugerville lost to Leander, Stony Point, and Round Rock (all Austin-area schools), which are all out of the playoffs. There's also two other Central Texas teams (Lake Travis and Liberty Hill) in the playoffs.

I'm not that surprised that the suburban teams are better than the inner city teams, as they have more money. But usually, the small-town rural teams are the best.

BSofA04
Dec 16, 2007, 5:12 PM
That stadium is ridiculous, but pretty bad ass.

My picks for State Champions at 5A
Katy and Trinity

Mopacs
Dec 16, 2007, 7:05 PM
Go P'ville!

TexasBoi
Dec 17, 2007, 1:45 AM
I'm not that surprised that the suburban teams are better than the inner city teams, as they have more money. But usually, the small-town rural teams are the best.

It's just a complete 180 from the state of Florida in 6A and 5A. In that state, especially 6A, the inner city schools win state over the suburban schools. Suburban schools such as Plantation play pretty good up until they meet the Dade County (Miami) Schools in the playoffs and get blasted.

Trae
Dec 23, 2007, 3:39 PM
The Katy Tigers destroyed Pflugerville 28-7. Bo ad a crazy ass pass to end the half. Tossed it into the endzone, Joey (Fuda) then tipped it back into Brian's hands. That tied it 7-7 and Katy never looked back.

Tex1899
Dec 23, 2007, 6:17 PM
Dallas Carter had a good team in '88, and Kimball had good teams in the 90's. That being said, I still think of my years in elem. school ('84-'90) as being just a few years ago.

In Texas, I've found suburban schools to be better all around (athletics, academics, etc) than inner-city schools due to parental involvement. Case in point: I attended junior high in Mineral Wells; we had an open house in 7th grade and 5 parents showed up (granted, it was raining). I graduated from Kingwood H.S. and open house was always full.

As for other states, well I can't really speak for them, for the most part. I lived in Indianapolis 2003-2004 while working for my fraternity. I met guys from all over the country. It seems that in the midwest and northeast a lot of kids attend private school - same thing in Louisiana. If these kids lived in Texas they'd probably attend schools in the suburbs. It may be how school districts exist in Texas. Take Houston, for example. How many school districts are in the area? At least 10. In other parts of the country all of Harris County might be one school district (along with parts of Ft. Bend, Montgomery, etc.).

So let's consider this example: let's assume HISD is a lousy school district, across the board (honestly I don't know if it is or not). Let's also assume Cy-Fair, Humble, Ft. Bend, Clear Creek, Pearland, North Forest (ha ha...yeah right), Alief, and Aldine ISD's are top-notch, across the board. And let's assume you have kids. Where are you going to choose to live? If you live in HISD, and if you can afford it, your kids will probably wind up in a private school. Most likely you'll choose to live in a suburban area.

Now, let's assume all of the schools in Harris County are in 1 district...call it Harris County ISD. Same attitude, management, etc, as HISD from the other example. No matter where you live, if you can afford to, you'll send your kids to private school.

Go through USA Today's list of top 25 football teams...without going through it I'm going to guess that least half are either private, small town, or Texas suburban. I can't explain Miami Northwestern having a dominant team, aside from maybe having several guys who meshed well growing up and have continued to play (East St. Louis in the late 80's early 90's). But that's why you don't see as many suburban schools winning annually in other states.

Actually, here's the best reason: Permian does this, Southlake does this, and I think Judson does, or did do this: you start playing football in 4th grade. You run the I-formation (for example) or you have 4 receivers and your QB's in the shotgun. In junior high you run the I-formation or you have 4 receivers and your QB's in the shotgun. What formations are you going to run in high school? Easy! You just take the best players and put them together. They already know the plays, they just have to learn to play together. It's an easy concept and very few schools utilize it.

Tex1899
Dec 23, 2007, 6:19 PM
By the way, I'd hear people on talk radio talk about this palace that Cy-Fair ISD built (Berry Center). Wow!!! That's nice.

Football's king in Texas. It's got more competition in Virginia, Maryland, etc (field hockey, lacrosse). We may have bigger high schools, too.

TexasBoi
Dec 23, 2007, 7:47 PM
Well in Florida, the schools that win most of the 6A (highest classification in Florida) championships are inner city schools. Miami Northwestern, Jackson, Killian, and Central have pretty good football. Than you have schools that many do consider inner city such as Norland and Carol City. They aren't in Miami but they consider themselves Miami schools.

Now you have schools those schools in the western portions of Broward county like Plantation and Flanagan who runs all over Broward during the season, but when they play the Miami schools, they get blasted. Than they play Orlando inner city schools in state championship games it seems.

But for Florida, it probably is meshing. They grow up playing pop-warner football from various camps throughout South Florida and eat sleep and live football more than the suburban areas of Miami.

It's just interesting to me because Floridians say Texans haven't seen this type of speed before and I tell them all the time we have that type of speed in Texas. But in Texas, coaching and execution negates speed.