PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Weather Central

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

go_leafs_go02
Oct 16, 2012, 6:57 PM
I agree the weather in Vancouver is the one singe most important reason its not a place I want to live, but obviously there are other reasons why I do live here right now. No mater how anyone feels about it, it cant change the fact that low amount of sunshine is responsible for a whole bunch of health issues and depression, specifically low amounts for extended periods of time like Vancouver gets.

Toronto as someone pointed out gets 110 more sunshine hours per year, that is a huge difference. BUT more importantly during winter when we already have short days to begin with the difference is even larger, and thats where the problem is.

Believe it or not Vancouver gets allot more sunshine in the summer months then Toronto, but those are the months we need it the least from a health point of view. Once we get to the winter months Toronto gets 30-40% more sunshine hours, thats is huge especially when your are talking about our latitude for those months.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?stnID=5051&lang=e&dCode=1&StationName=TORONTO&SearchType=Contains&province=ALL&provBut=&month1=0&month2=12
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?stnID=889&lang=e&dCode=1&StationName=VANCOUVER&SearchType=Contains&province=ALL&provBut=&month1=0&month2=12

Due to Toronto being as south as Southern Oregon, the City also gets an average of 45 minutes of extra daylight in the winter months due to the latitude it it found (43 degrees north compared to 49 degrees north in Vancouver). For example, it gets light by 7:15 AM on the shortest day, and still is light at 5:00 PM in Toronto or southern Ontario.

Obviously in the summer, this turns around and Vancouver has 45 minute longer days than Toronto does, but when the sun shines all day long in both cities, it's not a large factor.

WaxItYourself
Oct 16, 2012, 9:56 PM
People complaining about the amount of rain here should also realize that the amount of rain we receive is another product of the same reason why we have such a wonderful climate year round in the area. That reason being that we are near the ocean and weather travels from west to east in Canada. We often have to take the bad along with the good. But I would much rather live here than some place where it goes down to -20C in the winter with 5 feet of snowfall and +35C in the summer.

renthefinn
Oct 20, 2012, 5:38 AM
Rain is great, get used to it. It rains here (Vancouver) more than in Victoria where I grew up, but more or less the same. Rainstorms can be awesome, one thing I loved as a kid was watching the water accumulate into puddles, pools and streams, it's fascinating to watch water flow....

Klazu
Oct 20, 2012, 10:33 PM
So great to see first snow on North Shore Mountains this morning! Also, perfectly aligned with my tire change this forenoon. :tup:

p78hub
Aug 30, 2013, 6:40 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's at least one big thunderstorm every year now? I remember there being years in a row where there were no thunderstorms.

jlousa
Aug 30, 2013, 6:55 AM
It's crazy d/t right now, never seen rain this heavy for this long. The amount of lightning strikes is incredible as well. Right now there are literally a hundred people down on street level dancing in the streets getting drenched, cops and firetrucks everywhere. It's like it's out of a movie.

Metro-One
Aug 30, 2013, 6:57 AM
Having an amazing number of lighting strikes in south van, had an extremely loud one just shake the house!

p78hub
Aug 30, 2013, 7:05 AM
At one point, there was the combination of high winds, heavy rain, and lightning that made it look like a typhoon was hitting the city.

Metro-One
Aug 30, 2013, 7:21 AM
And it is also relatively warm out for heavy rain in Vancouver.

whatnext
Aug 30, 2013, 2:37 PM
It's crazy d/t right now, never seen rain this heavy for this long. The amount of lightning strikes is incredible as well. Right now there are literally a hundred people down on street level dancing in the streets getting drenched, cops and firetrucks everywhere. It's like it's out of a movie.

Hey, its just another night in the DTES, right? ;)

whatnext
Sep 6, 2013, 3:05 AM
Yet another thunder & lightening storm. Lots of cancellations/delays at YVR tonight.

Bcasey25raptor
Nov 15, 2013, 7:45 PM
I find it highly improbable but it seems we might get our first snow this weekend.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Snow+Metro+Vancouver+Environment+Canada/9160515/story.html

p78hub
Nov 16, 2013, 2:26 AM
Hmm... the Environment Canada weather forecast is sun and a high of 8 tomorrow. Pretty sure it's not going to snow this weekend.

p78hub
Dec 20, 2013, 5:31 PM
There we go. First big snowfall of the winter, and in typical Vancouver fashion, it'll probably be rain by afternoon.

theKB
Dec 20, 2013, 5:52 PM
It's enraging and funny to watch people with all seasons and summers attempt to get around. I don't care if we only get 2 days of snow a year, it should be mandatory to have proper tires on your car at all times.

officedweller
Dec 20, 2013, 11:35 PM
I have all seasons, but just don't drive when there's snow on the ground.

s211
Jan 23, 2014, 5:05 PM
I just got to thinking... isn't it fortuitous that Vancouver is not hosting the winter olympics this year, given that our snow conditions are practically a write off this year. The alpine temps are far too high. Have you seen Whistler's freezing levels lately? The number of days the freezing level has been over a thousand metres above the mountain peaks is unbelievable.

p78hub
Feb 23, 2014, 3:51 PM
Looks like the ski season's been saved. I went to Cypress at the end of January when most of the snow was man-made and it was terrible, but look at the conditions now! There's almost 3 metres of snow now.

Klazu
Feb 23, 2014, 7:04 PM
I know, it's amazing! Just wish it sun would return next weekend to hit some runs. :cheers:

p78hub
Feb 24, 2014, 6:25 PM
Isn't weather forecasting wonderful? More snow!

Bcasey25raptor
Jun 23, 2014, 9:25 AM
Any predictions for this summer?

Think we'll hit any 30s?

Porfiry
Jun 23, 2014, 9:01 PM

Think we'll hit any 30s?

Looks possible.
http://weather.gc.ca/saisons/prob_e.html

Pinion
Jun 23, 2014, 9:04 PM

Think we'll hit any 30s?

Two months of uncomfortable humid heat followed by 11 months of rain. Book it.

WaxItYourself
Jun 23, 2014, 11:18 PM
Warmer waters off the coast due to the freakishly strong upcoming El Nino along with rather warm land-based temps followed by a dry winter with very little snow.

Klazu
Dec 10, 2014, 3:19 PM
Quite a rainstorm this week!

On the east coast of Vancouver Island, the City of Courtenay declared a state of emergency because of flooding. According to the city's website, Courtenay has been walloped with 200 mm of rain in the 36-hour period since the rainfall began Monday.

The city also said the Comox Lake Reservoir had risen about 1.5 metres by noon Tuesday, with water flowing into the reservoir at about 1,000 cubic metres per second — the equivalent of water from an Olympic-sized swimming pool entering the reservoir every 2.5 seconds.

Although B.C. Hydro has moved to lower the reservoir levels, the city said that at the current rate of rise, water will likely begin to spill over the dam Tuesday night.

Also very high tide expected today.

Crews in Vancouver are also sandbagging low-lying areas around Jericho Beach to prepare for a storm surge expected during a "king tide" Wednesday morning.

The B.C. Ministry of Environment said king tides are extreme high tides that happen about twice a year when the sun and moon's gravitational forces reinforce each other. The next king tide is expected to hit just as southwestern B.C. is being hammered by high winds and rain.

City spokesman Brian Crowe said king tides can approach five metres in elevation, or about one metre higher than a typical high tide, and can form storm surges when they are combined with low-pressure systems.

He said the sandbag work is a precaution because Wednesday's king tide is forecast for 5.5 metres, which is the same elevation of water that flooded a local park but spared nearby homes in 2012.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-storm-puts-courtenay-delta-in-state-of-emergency-thousands-without-power-1.2865656

Klazu
Jun 29, 2015, 10:36 PM
How about that sun, eh? Did anyone catch any rain last night? Just few drops in Yaletown. No thunder.

CBeats
Jun 29, 2015, 11:08 PM
It was super windy on the North Shore. Trees came down and branches were everywhere.

Klazu
Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 PM
Yeah, i saw that in the morning news. Was there any rain or just wind?

Pinion
Jun 29, 2015, 11:17 PM
There wasn't any wind or rain in Lower Lonsdale. Seemed to be only around Capilano river.

I was at Greek Days in Kits yesterday and it almost got rainy enough to chase people inside towards the evening.

Data right now have the eastern half of the north shore a full five degrees hotter than downtown. That's rare.

GeeCee
Jun 29, 2015, 11:44 PM
It's been over 30 quite frequently out here in Port Coquitlam. BC Hydro is gonna have a nice big bill for me next time around.

trofirhen
Jun 29, 2015, 11:56 PM
Things are a bit wacky over this side of the Atlantic, too.
Here in Paris, from Wednesday through Saturday, highs are forecast to be 39°C, with lows between 19°C and 26°C. That's hot !!
And the Climate Change is happening now, it seems, not a future event, open for debate. (Tell that to the Republicans in 2016)

logicbomb
Jun 30, 2015, 1:59 AM
Things are a bit wacky over this side of the Atlantic, too.
Here in Paris, from Wednesday through Saturday, highs are forecast to be 39°C, with lows between 19°C and 26°C. That's hot !!
And the Climate Change is happening now, it seems, not a future event, open for debate. (Tell that to the Republicans in 2016)

It is happening now. Anyone thinking otherwise is ridiculous.

We'll likely see the driest April-June period on the West Coast. Rivers and streams are running at historic lows.

With the addition of June, we have now gone 15 months with warmer than normal monthly average temperatures. That's even with the Environment Canada skewing the averages to eliminate any data from the 1970's.

Mankind may not be directly responsible (that's open for debate) but we should at least be doing our best to perhaps remedy anything that may be accelerating this change.

csbvan
Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 AM
Yeah, I don't think climate change's existence is at all controversial in Canada right? We (citizens of course, not certain governments) tend to be better at accepting data that is glaringly obvious...

As for the weather, it is hard to believe that later this week will be ever warmer than today and Saturday. With the added humidity today it was actually quite uncomfortable, especially for Vancouver. And that warm wind storm last night without any real rain was pretty bizarre. I'm wondering how many street trees will be lost with this dry stretch.

WarrenC12
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 AM
Yeah, I don't think climate change's existence is at all controversial in Canada right? We (citizens of course, not certain governments) tend to be better at accepting data that is glaringly obvious...

October 2015 will be the true test. We have a federal government in absolute denial, so if we re-elect them, what does that say?

logan5
Jun 30, 2015, 2:49 AM
Doesn't canada actually benefit from global warming?

csbvan
Jun 30, 2015, 3:12 AM
October 2015 will be the true test. We have a federal government in absolute denial, so if we re-elect them, what does that say?

True enough

Pinion
Jun 30, 2015, 3:31 AM

It might say our first past the post voting system is undemocratic garbage, again. All of us voting NDP or Liberal would much rather have an NDP or Liberal prime minister than Harper again, but we have to collectively decide who's more likely to win based on what the media says.

WaxItYourself
Jun 30, 2015, 5:44 AM

That is a common belief among the public. However certain areas of Canada are, and will in the future, have more severe droughts. With this comes things such as increased wildfires, greater tree losses, and so on. I don't really consider this a positive. And along with the bark beetle infestation due to a warming climate there will be a greater number of trees lost due to this.

http://www.crc.uqam.ca/Publication/2011/Peng%20et%20al_Nature_CC_Nov20_2011.pdf

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1190&context=barkbeetles

Others areas of concern involve loss of fresh drinking water due to an increase in flooding in some areas. British Columbia for instance where precipitation is like to increase and has been. Loss of some fresh water fish populations due to this as well. And so on. One of the positive things in Canada under a warmer, CO2 increased, atmosphere is increased crop production.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Brian_Grant3/publication/256577950_Assessing_the_effects_of_climate_change_on_crop_production_and_GHG_emissions_in_Canada/links/00b7d523748a443013000000.pdf

Pinion
Jun 30, 2015, 6:34 AM
That's why they like to call it climate change instead of warming. It leads to unpredictability and extreme weather, not good for anyone.

WarrenC12
Jun 30, 2015, 2:09 PM
Global human civilization has arisen in part because of climate stability. The holocene era has kept the climate (and carbon) levels stable for the last ~12,000 years. This has allowed us to have predictable weather patterns, perfect for agriculture and setting up towns and cities.

Chaotic climate will turn us back into hunter-gatherer nomads... ok not really, but you get the point.

Klazu
Jun 30, 2015, 4:14 PM
That's why they like to call it climate change instead of warming. It leads to unpredictability and extreme weather, not good for anyone.

Bingo! And this is something we are already seeing more and more from around the world.

I personally think that we are already past the tipping point and we cannot prevent this change anymore. It is now all about trying to mitigate the impacts it will have on our civilization. Europe will see millions of climate refugees and we will see more extreme weather and droughts. Nobody will be better off in this global event.

Vin
Jun 30, 2015, 4:21 PM

On the backs of the rest of the world in ruins?

Vin
Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 PM
Huge forest fires are happening right now at the Cascades in Washington State, destroying properties and 23 homes. I've heard severe fires down in California, but in Washington State at the onset of summer? Man, this is out of whack! This can easily happen anywhere in B.C. too, especially in the interior towns and cities.

Klazu
Jun 30, 2015, 4:39 PM
Someone posted a BC drought map on the Canada section. I was surprised that Interior has lower fire hazard than Lower Mainland which is the worst drought are together with Vancouver Island right now.

I suppose in Interior they have been getting at least some rain despite the high temperatures.

Jun 30, 2015, 7:42 PM
It is happening now. Anyone thinking otherwise is ridiculous.

“We’re not scientifically there yet. Despite what you may have heard in the media, there is nothing like a consensus of scientific opinion that this is a problem. Because there is natural variability in the weather, you cannot statistically know for another 150 years.”
— UN IPCC’s Tom Tripp, a member of the UN IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] since 2004 and listed as one of the lead authors and serves as the Director of Technical Services & Development for U.S. Magnesium.

“Please remain calm: The Earth will heal itself — Climate is beyond our power to control…Earth doesn’t care about governments or their legislation. You can’t find much actual global warming in present-day weather observations. Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.”
— Nobel Prize-Winning Stanford University Physicist Dr. Robert B. Laughlin, who won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1998, and was formerly a research scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal. Science is too important for our society to be misused in the way it has been done within the Climate Science Community.” The global warming establishment “has actively suppressed research results presented by researchers that do not comply with the dogma of the [UN] IPCC.”
— Swedish Climatologist Dr. Hans Jelbring of the Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics Unit at Stockholm University.

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. There appears to have been money gained by Michael Mann, Al Gore and UN IPCC’s Rajendra Pachauri as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”
— South African astrophysicist Hilton Ratcliffe, a member of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa (ASSA) and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and a Fellow of the British Institute of Physics.

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote an Open Letter to the UN Secretary-General rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) Council decided to review its current climate statement via a high-level subcommittee of respected senior scientists. The decision was prompted after a group of over 80 prominent physicists petitioned the APS [to] revise its global warming position and more than 250 scientists urged a change in the group’s climate statement in 2010. The physicists wrote to APS governing board: ‘Measured or reconstructed temperature records indicate that 20th – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”

WaxItYourself
Jul 1, 2015, 5:32 AM
“We’re not scientifically there yet. ..."

Taking, sometimes, out-of-context quotes or quotes that have been changed from their original source by a third party and so on is not how one does science. Heck even quoting someone truthfully is not how a discussion concerning science occurs. I could quote mine many people and make it seem like they are saying that which they are not. I could quote specific thinkers that think a certain way and make the claim that what they say is absolute truth while those that disagree are being paid for their statements or have some alterior motive. Science is not done through selective quotes of others. Science is shared and debated in the scientific literature by people that have a greater understanding on what they are talking about than the common internet user.

trofirhen
Jul 1, 2015, 6:17 AM
“We’re not scientifically there yet . . Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.”
— Nobel Prize-Winning Stanford University Physicist Dr. Robert B. Laughlin, who won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1998, and was formerly a research scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal..... (even Sweden!!)
— Swedish Climatologist Dr. Hans Jelbring of the Paleogeophysics & Geodynamics Unit at Stockholm University.

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. ........ as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”
— South African astrophysicist Hilton Ratcliffe, a member of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa (ASSA) and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific and a Fellow of the British Institute of Physics.

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote back, rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”(sic)

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) .......... – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”
That hypocrisy just blows your mind. Cool quote list! The BS and lies speak for themselves. And certain researchers say that we are already past the point of no return.
The extreme weather events, bizarre jet stream patterns, broiling hot, sometimes crazy cold, tornadoes, hurricanes, in greater power and frequency, all speak for themselves.
And they aren't going to slow down any, either.

I wouldn't mind taking a case like this to The Hague, the above-listed individuals and organisations on charges of fraud, misleading the public, falsified resarch, you name it. The defendants.

As we now meet in one of the great courts of the world .... who takes on the role of prosecution? (that's more or less us in this case,folks).

Who will be "our" attorneys? Which groups or individuals could possibly
represent the case for charges of fraud, misleading information, lack of, or incorrect research.

This or something like it is truly vital, so where do we start the kick-off?
Who would represent the prosecution,
Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Caliplanner1
Jul 1, 2015, 2:47 PM
“We’re not scientifically there yet. Despite what you may have heard in the media, there is nothing like a consensus of scientific opinion that this is a problem. Because there is natural variability in the weather, you cannot statistically know for another 150 years.”
— UN IPCC’s Tom Tripp, a member of the UN IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] since 2004 and listed as one of the lead authors and serves as the Director of Technical Services & Development for U.S. Magnesium.

“Please remain calm: The Earth will heal itself — Climate is beyond our power to control…Earth doesn’t care about governments or their legislation. You can’t find much actual global warming in present-day weather observations. Climate change is a matter of geologic time, something that the earth routinely does on its own without asking anyone’s permission or explaining itself.”

“The dysfunctional nature of the climate sciences is nothing short of a scandal. Science is too important for our society to be misused in the way it has been done within the Climate Science Community.” The global warming establishment “has actively suppressed research results presented by researchers that do not comply with the dogma of the [UN] IPCC.”

“The whole idea of anthropogenic global warming is completely unfounded. There appears to have been money gained by Michael Mann, Al Gore and UN IPCC’s Rajendra Pachauri as a consequence of this deception, so it’s fraud.”

“In December 8 2009, 166 scientists from around the world wrote an Open Letter to the UN Secretary-General rebuking the UN and declaring that ‘the science is NOT settled.’”

“On May 1, 2009, the American Physical Society (APS) Council decided to review its current climate statement via a high-level subcommittee of respected senior scientists. The decision was prompted after a group of over 80 prominent physicists petitioned the APS [to] revise its global warming position and more than 250 scientists urged a change in the group’s climate statement in 2010. The physicists wrote to APS governing board: ‘Measured or reconstructed temperature records indicate that 20th – 21st century changes are neither exceptional nor persistent, and the historical and geological records show many periods warmer than today.’”

Have you ever heard of man-made "nuclear winter"??????

Prometheus
Jul 1, 2015, 3:15 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a case like this to The Hague, the above-listed individuals and organisations on charges of fraud, misleading the public, falsified resarch, you name it. The defendants.

As we now meet in one of the great courts of the world .... who takes on the role of prosecution? (that's more or less us in this case, folks).

Who will be "our" attorneys? Which groups or individuals could possibly
represent the case for charges of fraud, misleading information, lack of, or incorrect research.

This or something like it is truly vital, so where do we start the kick-off? Who would represent the prosecution?

Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

My feedback: your proposal is disgusting and asinine.

trofirhen
Jul 1, 2015, 7:57 PM
My feedback: your proposal is disgusting and asinine.
I guess I did write it a bit too quickly, and it shows a great ignorance on my part. Sorry about that:oops:

trofirhen
Jul 1, 2015, 8:53 PM
Wednesday night, Paris time, towards 11 pm.
Official temperature at 10 pm: 32°C / 90°F
Humidity 35%
Winds west at 16 kph

Metro-One
Jul 2, 2015, 12:49 AM
Someone posted a BC drought map on the Canada section. I was surprised that Interior has lower fire hazard than Lower Mainland which is the worst drought are together with Vancouver Island right now.

I suppose in Interior they have been getting at least some rain despite the high temperatures.

I have long studied climate and weather in BC, time for some information.

While June, July, August, and September are the driest months of the year along the south coast of BC, June is actually the wettest month of the year for most of the southern interior.

This is because of convection cell storms. June is warm (and sometimes hot, such as this year) in the BC interior, but it is not as stable as July and August, therefore there is a lot more convection activity.

Kamloops this June actually may have had the most rain of anywhere in the province (82.5mm, much higher than their average 37.4) thanks to 3 weak disturbances that all spawned major thunderstorms. West of Kamloops has remained much drier (Ashcroft recorded 24.2mm, Lytton 12.9), and south of Vernon the Okanagan has had almost spot on average rainfall (30 to 40mm). The heart of the interior forest fire season does not start until mid July or August. That being said, the interior is a dry location even during the wettest of times, therefore forest fires in June are not uncommon, some forest fire seasons start early, some start late.

For contrast Victoria has only had 6.6mm of rain since May 1st!

Now, I am not here to debate climate change (climate change is happening, and much of it is man made, but not every single weather event is due to climate change, and even with all the man made aspects, there is still some natural elements at play. Hence I am against extreme measures being proposed by some, such as purposely dimming the atmosphere with suspended particles to reflect sunlight in an attempt to mitigate C02, such practices will likely just fuck things up even more).

As for forest fires, they are very very very natural in BC. Climate change is not causing more forest fires! I based my thesis at SFU on the damage forest fire supression has done to the BC ecosystem. On an average year only 10% of the pre-fire supression historical norm of land area burns in BC. Even the great 2003 Okanagan Mountain year only saw 50% of the historical average burn...

Before fire supression any given spot in the bunchgrass zone of the Okanagan / Thompson would burn every 5 to 10 years. The lower Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir forests every 10 to 20 years. The vast majority of these areas have not burned now for 80 or 90 years! The forests are becoming crowded with sick trees and countless saplings. This has chocked the once open parkland nature of those forests. It has also lead to "forest creep" where we are actually losing our grasslands to forests. The next time you are in the interior just look at the ratio of young saplings to mature trees, there are way, way, way too many saplings! (This crowded mono population of trees was the key reason to the pine beettle problem, not warmer winters, since the pine beettle itself lives in much warmer climates all the way to Mexico, yet the epidemic started in its coldest location where forest fires are much easier to control...).

Think of it this way, the Okanagan Mountain is a mix of Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir parkland forests, which should burn once every 10 to 20 years. The fire in 2003 was the best thing to happen there and now that mountain is more healthy than it was before. That fire was super intense (because so much fuel built up for so many decades) but now it has been equalized. That was in 2003, therefore on average without fire supression that same mountain should burn again before 2023... (of course this time, such a fire would be a more traditional surface fire burning out saplings and dead branches) creating a healthy environment for the more mature trees.

Sadly the media always likes to pain forest fires as evil and some crazy event only happening because of climate change, when in reality that is the most lazy sensationalist reporting possible.

ahhh, done, I hope some of you actually read all that, and please feel free to ask me any questions you have on BC biogeoclimate zones and the cylce of fire in the interior.

Klazu
Jul 2, 2015, 3:46 AM
Great and informative comment, thanks.

Quite a flash flood in Kamloops last night. Are those how common in Interior?

Klazu
Jul 29, 2015, 8:40 PM
Cold night in Vancouver last night. They were still plowing some snow in Gastown this morning.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/lunta_kesalla1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/lunta_kesalla2.jpg

Klazu
Aug 28, 2015, 10:59 PM
With all the drought in past four months, I wanted to see the water levels in Vancouver's reservoirs for myself. There is no public access to Coquitlamn Lake (as far as I know), but I visited both Seymour Lake and Capilano Lakes yesterday and this is how they look like four months into the drought.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/2015_sademaara.jpg

Things are actually not looking bad at Seymour Lake. I was surprised to see the water levels being down by maybe only a meter.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/seymour_reservoir1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/seymour_reservoir2.jpg

They seem to be some summer maintenance at the dam.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/seymourin_padon_huoltotoita.jpg

There were fire fighting choppers whirring over the lake. Not sure which nearby fire they were attending to. :shrug:

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/palohelikopteri.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/seymour_reservoir_panoraama.jpg

It's a completely different story at Capilano Lake. There the water level is down my over 10 meters. As a result a lot of new shoreline has emerged. They should use the opportunity to remove some of those logs.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/alhainen_capilano_reservoir1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/alhainen_capilano_reservoir2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/alhainen_capilano_reservoir3.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/alhainen_capilano_reservoir4.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam1.jpg

There is almost no water facing the Cleveland Dam!

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam3.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam4.jpg

Strange to think that the other side of this dam wall is currently empty.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/avoin_cleveland_dam3.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam5.jpg

The lake surface is low that there is absolutely no water passing through the dam eventhough it is wide open. Never seen it like this.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam6.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/avoin_cleveland_dam2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/avoin_cleveland_dam1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_cleveland_dam7.jpg

Canyon below is just ponds.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_capilano_canyon1.jpg

No more waterslide.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/tyhja_capilano_canyon2.jpg

This is how it normally looks like.

OPGJBHeBjRI

So yeah, it looks pretty bad and water levels are currently at around 53-54%. The rain this weekend will help to regain some of lostwater, but unless we will see a normal rainy winter, next summer might be even more challenging and water restrictions will kick in even sooner. Sad sight. :(

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/capilano_reservoir_panoraama.jpg

trofirhen
Aug 29, 2015, 12:21 AM
Wow, those shots of a dried-up Cleveland Dam are freaky!!!!
The forecast says you're in for a couple of rain days next week, although that's cold comfort, I admit.
Apparently the "blob" part of the El Niño in the North Pacific is responsible for the drought, and this North Pacific Niño development is a first-time phenomenon.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Scary stuff.

Klazu
Aug 30, 2015, 6:24 AM
Reading about all the storm destruction today I am amazed. I think the wind was blowing from the other side of the building and we didn't notice almost anything in our apartment. It looked a bit windy outside, but nothing like what was shown on television.

Highway 1 was looking quite interesting with full of branches and leaves, and the huge flag in Surrey torn apart. SkyTrain car was also hit by a falling tree. Wow.

Klazu
Aug 30, 2015, 6:53 AM
Interesting piece of news regarding the main road to Cultus Lake having been closed today due to downed power lines. The only detour was through some band land, where they had set up a gate and were charging people $20 to pass through. Like what the heck??!? :koko:

SpongeG
Aug 30, 2015, 9:55 AM
it's their land, someone saw an opportunity

s211
Aug 30, 2015, 4:21 PM
it's their land, someone saw an opportunity

I can only hope you're being sarcastic. If, IF, the story is true, then it shows a group of people to be the equivalent of ghouls, feasting on the misfortune of others. Who do they think they are, lawyers or politicians?

Klazu
Aug 30, 2015, 7:58 PM
I can only hope you're being sarcastic. If, IF, the story is true, then it shows a group of people to be the equivalent of ghouls, feasting on the misfortune of others. Who do they think they are, lawyers or politicians?

Yeah, I also found that case quite unreasonable on their side considering the situation.

osirisboy
Aug 30, 2015, 11:40 PM
Yea that's absolutley disgusting. Friggin pathetic

SpongeG
Nov 12, 2015, 2:23 AM
big storm headed vancouver way thursday, stay safe

GeeCee
Nov 12, 2015, 5:48 AM
E-Uu7EK0ezQ

go_leafs_go02
Feb 12, 2016, 5:06 PM
I've never seen it get that dark during the day - absolutely torrential rainfall right now. Looks like thunder/lightning could happen as well.

csbvan
Feb 12, 2016, 11:22 PM
I've never seen it get that dark during the day - absolutely torrential rainfall right now. Looks like thunder/lightning could happen as well.

And then sunshine and mid-teens :D Nice turnaround I would say!

Klazu
Apr 21, 2016, 12:19 AM
Summer temperatures in Mid-April are just beautiful. :)

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/420_vancouver.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/aikainen_kesa1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/aikainen_kesa2.jpg

p78hub
Jun 14, 2016, 5:33 PM
Some pretty weird weather these days. There have been more than a few days now in the last month where we've gotten some real heavy, movie rain, soaked-in-one-minute downpours. And this morning, thunder!

Klazu
Jun 16, 2016, 4:08 AM
Yeah, quite an on/off weather with everything in between during a day. :)

It is actually quite fun to observe the isolated heavy rains moving across the Lower Mainland from our penthouse. As we can see everything from Lougheed to Surrey to White Rock to Richmond to Downtown and all the way to North Vancouver and even Brentwood (some 300 degrees!), we have it easy to predict if it will be raining where and when. Sometimes rain clouds hang so low that they pass through our tower.

A weather geek's paradise. :)

trofirhen
Jun 16, 2016, 11:28 PM
Some pretty weird weather these days. There have been more than a few days now in the last month where we've gotten some real heavy, movie rain, soaked-in-one-minute downpours. And this morning, thunder!
It's been pretty weird here in Paris, too: all of France, in fact. Rains and flooding, causing $$$ damage. Always still very changeable, sunny one moment, pouring the next.
... as an afterthought, it surprisesme a little that youy're surprised by morning thunfer there. In earlier years, I often recall thunder and a blast of hail in March, signalling spring, lightning and rainsqualls in April, then sometimes heat and thunder in May.

p78hub
Oct 12, 2016, 7:37 PM
Heads up if you haven't been following the news. We're about to get walloped by a series of low pressure monsters.
http://www.weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42#1740011741490216572201610120502ww1171cwvr
I was looking at some of the forecasts and the centre of the Saturday storm could go as low as 955 mbar. That's tropical hurricane territory, minus the wind strength.

Pinion
Oct 12, 2016, 8:51 PM
Yay, looking forward to my usual giant headache.

Klazu
Oct 13, 2016, 5:04 AM
Will get windy up here... Interesting days ahead. :)

Klazu
Oct 15, 2016, 12:33 AM
So when is the storm going to peak? It is pretty damn wind up here already. Had to move all patio furniture in safety for the first time while living in here...

p78hub
Oct 15, 2016, 1:07 AM
http://www.news1130.com/2016/10/14/student-dead-after-being-hit-by-tree-in-surrey/

How terrible :(

Third and biggest storm to hit tomorrow night and it's likely going to be a doozy. A lot of comparisons being thrown around to the Dec 2006 windstorm. Stay safe everyone.

Klazu
Oct 15, 2016, 1:12 AM
Damn, I hope Stanley Park won't see same destruction as at that time.

I will surely take some video of how crazy it will be.

mcminsen
Oct 15, 2016, 7:28 AM
I posted some storm pics in the Canada forum here (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7594271#post7594271).

s211
Oct 15, 2016, 5:39 PM
On Friday afternoon, I saw a very large diameter boulevard tree that had fallen over a house on Valley Drive, roughly around 20th/21st going from memory. The house was one of the vintage monster houses built back in the 80s.

Klazu
Oct 16, 2016, 12:43 AM
Dying light ahead of the big storm.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/auringonsateet_richmondin_ylla.jpg

Klazu
Dec 6, 2016, 1:07 AM
It seems that Burnaby was the epicenter of the snowstorm today. I chose to walk to work which was a good decision as no buses could get up or down from Metrotown. So many cars stuck in snow along the way and many crashes. Same when heading back home this afternoon, but Translink had got some of the bus lines running.

Ice bombs experienced on Alex Fraser Bridge. Port Mann Bridge seem to have been okay, but the whole Highway 1 was packed all day. Google Maps bright red all day. Surprisingly North Shore seem to have be dealing with the snow very well.

There is some 20cm of snow accumulated on our patio from the day, so quite a heavy snowfall during the day.

Metro-One
Dec 6, 2016, 3:13 AM
Metrotown, due to being 200 meters in elevation, and a bit from the water, tends to get more snow than many other parts Metro-Van (especially those west and south of it)

SpongeG
Dec 6, 2016, 8:52 PM
apparently thursday is going to be snowmageddon down there

NbsImGCvuOs

trofirhen
Dec 6, 2016, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=SpongeG;7643659]apparently thursday is going to be snowmageddon down there

• Video Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbsImGCvuOs)
Is he a weatherman in Halifax? Does he get paid for this? :koko:

Klazu
Dec 7, 2016, 1:30 AM
Oh shit! If Frankie is predicting it to be bad, it's going to be one for the books! :(

Today roads in Metrotown were open and salted. No problems for the buses and man it was beautiful with snow-top mountains and blue skies! :yes:

csbvan
Dec 7, 2016, 1:33 AM
Oh shit! If Frankie is predicting it to be bad, it's going to be one for the books! :(

Today roads in Metrotown were open and salted. No problems for the buses and man it was beautiful with snow-top mountains and blue skies! :yes:

It's looking like 6 straight days with snow and temperatures barely cracking above 0

Klazu
Dec 7, 2016, 1:43 AM
Since I am from Finland, people always think that I must LOVE winter and snow. Yeah, I can deal with the cold, but even one day of coldness like today is a good reminder how much I like the normal Vancouver weather. I like my meter of snow on the mountains, but nothing beats having no ice or slush on the valley ground. :rolleyes:

SpongeG
Dec 7, 2016, 2:17 AM
[QUOTE=SpongeG;7643659]apparently thursday is going to be snowmageddon down there

• Video Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbsImGCvuOs)
Is he a weatherman in Halifax? Does he get paid for this? :koko:

i don`t think so, but he is a little internet famous, he predicted the last big earthquake in new zealand just a few weeks ago

bluefox
Dec 9, 2016, 4:59 PM
It appears crews are doing a much better job today compared to last week in keeping on top of road conditions (at least here in the CoV). Any other municipalities falling behind this morning?

SpongeG
Dec 9, 2016, 6:43 PM
so it did snow?

my facebook was full of posts by people whining that the snow didn't come as expected

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2016, 6:43 PM
[QUOTE=trofirhen;7643781]

i don`t think so, but he is a little internet famous, he predicted the last big earthquake in new zealand just a few weeks ago
Yikes!!!!! :uhh: He predicted the earthquake in NZ !!????? I'm heading down there in 9 days. Christmas in midsummer!!:)

whatnext
Dec 9, 2016, 6:48 PM
:haha:so it did snow?

my facebook was full of posts by people whining that the snow didn't come as expected

Not much, it was media snowverkill.

Klazu
Dec 9, 2016, 10:28 PM
Don't discount it yet. Today's snowfall seems to be very regional, but here in Metrotown it has been snowing pretty heavily at times and accumulation is already 5+ centimeters and it keeps falling.

csbvan
Dec 9, 2016, 10:40 PM
It's dumping downtown. I think the storm was delayed not cancelled!

Stingray2004
Dec 9, 2016, 11:00 PM
Light snow out here in WR.

Brought this up earlier this week in the CA weather thread... but puts things into context... Snowmageddon 1996... snowed Christmas Eve... sunny Christmas Day... then on the afternoon of Boxing Day it started and continued to snow and snow and snow and snow... until about December 30 before it changed over:

1996: B.C. digs out from huge blizzard

CBC News

Over four long days in late December "The Blizzard of '96" dumped an improbable 150 cm of snow (nearly five feet) on the traditionally temperate lower B.C. area, crippling public transit and paralyzing day-to-day life.

In this clip, CBC Television reporter Terry Milewski checks in with bewildered west coast residents as they deal with their biggest bout of winter in nearly 80 years.B.C.'s snowstorm began on the evening of Dec. 26, coating Victoria, Vancouver and parts of the lower Fraser Valley with nearly a metre of snow.

The province's capital received the biggest wallop, with 65 cm of snow in just 24 hours, smashing a record set in 1916. But the worst was far from over for the region. With more snow in the forecast, the records would continue to
break as the temperature continued to drop.

CBC News clip from Dec. 27, 1996 on just the first days snowfall with many more snowfall days to come:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1719444359

Spork
Dec 10, 2016, 5:06 AM
Rain started to fall downtown at about 3pm, and was falling when I left downtown at 7. When I arrived home near Central Park, it was still snowing at the higher elevation, and just stopped about 15 minutes ago - probably about 10cm all day. Kingsway and Joyce both look to be in bad (but not terrible) shape.

nname
Dec 10, 2016, 5:53 AM
Still snowing hard in Coquitlam Centre area. Currently about 17cm so far for today.

Travelling back home on SkyTrain.. the snow seems to be falling really hard at the Lougheed-Burquitlam area...

Klazu
Dec 10, 2016, 6:29 AM
Yeah, definitely some 15+ centimeters fell today in Metrotown and we have some 30cm on our patio. Enough to make a human-size snowman. :)

Snow will be turning to rain overnight. We might be back to green grass again in few days.

nname
Dec 10, 2016, 6:51 AM
Snow will be turning to rain overnight. We might be back to green grass again in few days.

Not according to the forecast... It will be raining at 2 or 3 degrees over the weekend, and then the temperature will drop and stay below freezing all week next week, going as low as -11 :uhh:

RichmondOval
Dec 10, 2016, 7:12 AM
Richmond was really bad around 7pm to 8pm. Water on the ground mixed with the fresh snow caused many cars to lose traction (combination of hydroplaning, incorrect tires, underestimating the severity, and Richmond drivers). Even the city centre (No.3 and Westminister) was not ready, as all the streets accumulated a layer of snow atleast 1-2cm thick.

GeeCee
Dec 10, 2016, 7:26 AM
The roads around Surrey Memorial were sure pretty lousy to drive on at about 9pm tonight. I drove home at about 25km/h but only lost traction a couple times.