PDA

View Full Version : Canada Science & Technology Museum | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

agrigentum
Nov 15, 2007, 2:29 PM
This just in, 9 cities will have the opportunity to bid for the proposed re-location of the Canada Science and Technology Museum!

;) j/k

We have the technology ... but nowhere to show it off
In 1967, Canada's national science museum opened in a bakery. Four decades later, it's still there.
(http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=46d499f5-b5b6-4782-8b82-ef555a69a086&p=2)
Tom Spears
The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, November 15, 2007

You think you know the Canada Science and Technology Museum -- sprawling lawn, red and white tower, big trains inside, all on a commercial strip with McDonald's handy. But the real museum is hidden.

Yes, you can tour through the main building anytime. But close to 98 per cent of what the museum owns, the full collection of Canada's scientific and technological history, is in warehouses.

It's called the Reserve Collection, and there's nowhere else to put it.

This bugs the boss, Claude Faubert.

"I used to think about five per cent (of the overall collection) was on display," he says. But a closer look shows it's much worse than that: Less than two per cent of the full collection, from early X-ray machines to a Popemobile, is in public view.

"And that's a shame," says Mr. Faubert, the museum's director-general. "We've got everything in there: Dentists' chairs, fire trucks, little computers, cars. If you could just walk through there."

Maybe, in fact, that's a solution. The current warehouses can't be turned into public buildings. But if the museum played its cards right, he thinks that 10 to 15 per cent of the collection could be viewed -- if a new site could open up storage space for public viewing.

That's been the big "if" in the museum story since it opened on Nov. 15, 1967.

This Saturday, the museum will celebrate its 40th birthday, and it is still searching for a new home.

The cramped building you know today used to be the warehouse for the Morrison Lamothe bakery. It was a temporary solution in 1967, and still is, on paper.

It had about 118,000 square feet of floor space and 12 hectares of land, and one more attribute: It was available for a 1967 opening.

The first visitors found 16 main displays, with a heavy dose of transportation. Seven steam locomotives. Five aircraft and a number of carriages, automobiles and railway cars. Then came aircraft engines, plows, harvesting equipment, an Amoskeag fire engine reputed to have been used during the Great Fire of 1900 in Hull and smaller displays on meteorology, atomic energy, surveying, communications, and astronomy.

In Canada's Centennial year, this meant a lot. It was a Centennial demonstration of Canadian culture and history.

Great timing. But not such a great building, says Del Muise, a history professor at Carleton University with particular expertise in museums. (He used to work for what is now the Canadian Museum of Nature).

"They need a purpose-built building," he said.

"It would give them a broader range to do the kind of programming and interpretive work than they can do on those bare concrete floors.

"These guys for the last 30 years have been looking for a better building. They've been retrofitting that building over and over again so that it's beyond its capacity to support what it's doing."

What's wrong with an old bakery warehouse?

"The staff is spread all over the place. The collections are in a variety of different buildings," Mr. Muise says.

"The big highlight is that they've got big stuff. Everybody likes to go and see the railway engines and various other things. But when it gets down to their detailed programming, whether it's printing or the canoe exhibit or other things, they're squished into tiny little spaces and there's very little opportunity to do anything with that.

"They've been doing their best with what they have, and a lot better than we have the right to expect them to do, I think."

The stuff out back in warehouses is spectacular, and the odd visitor (supervised) gets to see airplane wings from the first days of flight in Canada, a railway car that carried King George VI and Queen Elizabeth across Canada ("Sometimes the story of where a thing came from is more interesting than the item itself," Mr. Faubert says) and Ski-Doo No. 1,000,001, in its original crate.

Also parts, from compressors to hex bolts, piled to the ceilings. "It's all about the shelving," he notes.

A site search is under way now, he says. A lot of the planning went on in 2002 and 2003, and the museum has narrowed its wishlist to three sites: One on the western section of LeBreton Flats, one in Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau, and one just south of the Canada Aviation Museum.

He won't be pinned down on what a new building would look like; that depends on the site, and the budget. It would have to be bigger than they have now, though, and able to put on bigger displays.

The problem remains money. In January, then-Treasury Board president John Baird said the country can't afford $400 million for a new science and tech museum. (That figure, he said, was half the original proposal.) He promised that the Conservatives would reassess the situation. It's a road the museum has been down before.

Museums are expensive, Mr. Muise notes, and politically, he believes this project "is nowhere.

"They're way way down on anybody's political agenda at the moment -- beyond museums that are going to look at human rights or beyond even what they now call the National Portrait Gallery of Canada," he said.

"What you need is a political will," and this would require "multi-multi-million-dollar" spending that no party feels is very urgent.

In the meantime, there's a "modest" birthday party coming: Cake and balloons during regular hours Saturday (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and a bring-your-own-artifact event on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The museum will have experts ready to tell you all you wanted to know about Aunt Mathilde's funny old kitchen gadgets, or perhaps the 1950s equipment salvaged from an early TV station.

What there won't be is a stunning announcement about a new building.

"It's a bakery, it's a bakery, it's a bakery," Carleton's Mr. Muise says, "and no matter how much you retrofit it, it's going to be problematic, I think."

Mille Sabords
Nov 15, 2007, 2:52 PM
As a country that has given the world so much in terms of new technology, we should have the biggest science and technology museum in the world. It should be in a prominent location in a central part of Ottawa. That should be one of our city's claims to fame - the world's most massive Sci-Tech museum (and I mean by far the most massive, nothing any other country could come even close to matching unless they make a gigantic effort).

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 15, 2007, 3:31 PM
:previous: So in other words, Ontario Science Centre times five?

I don't think that LeBreton, Rockliffe or Jacques Cartier Park has that kind of space! :haha:

movebyleap
Nov 15, 2007, 4:56 PM
:This just in, 9 cities will have the opportunity to bid for the proposed re-location of the Canada Science and Technology Museum!"

OMG - you almost gave me a heart attack with that! But you know what? I wouldn't be surprised!

p_xavier
Nov 15, 2007, 5:01 PM

I don't think that LeBreton, Rockliffe or Jacques Cartier Park has that kind of space! :haha:

City Centre, that is all.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 15, 2007, 5:54 PM
:previous: I believe that there are already plans for the City Centre site, but hey, whatever works! :)

Mille Sabords
Nov 16, 2007, 1:42 PM

More like Science Centre times ten.

It depends how one builds a museum. The latest efforts have been pretty big-box like renditions (the War Museum is a big box, a stunning one but a big box nonetheless).

Lots of modern museums around the world build up, are linked to rapid transit and have limited underground parking. I visited the Baltimore Aquarium this year and it is 3 storeys tall with a different theme on each storey.

All of the sites you mentioned could easily accommodate the largest Sci-Tech Museum on the world in a multi-storey format. I would see an urban site like the Turpin Dealership and the little Bank of Montreal branch at the corner of Montreal Rd. and St-Laurent. Nine museum storeys above one ground floor of museum shop, restaurant and science-tech related retail.

This would be an impetus for a Rideau-Montreal transit line, plus it would strengthen the fabric between the older and suburban sections of Montreal Road, as a springboard for further urbanization of that Mainstreet eastward. And it would be a good chance to animate a stretch of that street that has a cemetery on the other side.

the capital urbanite
Nov 16, 2007, 2:07 PM
I'd like to see it at the old Domtar site on the Gatineau side (not Victoria Island)....that site is huge and lends itself to a unique architecture.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 16, 2007, 3:47 PM
I'd like to see it at the old Domtar site on the Gatineau side (not Victoria Island)....that site is huge and lends itself to a unique architecture.

That's another great location, but the City of Gatineau is looking for another tenant. Preferably an Industrial minded one.

cityguy
Nov 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
Speaking of City Centre,does anyone know what those plans might be?

Aylmer
Nov 29, 2007, 2:03 AM
they could build it on one of the chaudière islands...
there is lots of space!

adam-machiavelli
Nov 29, 2007, 3:36 AM
Chaudiere Islands are for the Aboriginal museum.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 29, 2007, 4:29 AM
Speaking of City Centre,does anyone know what those plans might be?

From some brief ghosts of plans past, it seems that it would be an office complex. Not sure what the current plans are.

Mille Sabords
Nov 29, 2007, 2:03 PM
From some brief ghosts of plans past, it seems that it would be an office complex. Not sure what the current plans are.

The City Centre, thankfully, doesn't have any active plans. At this point in its evolution it would probably get the wrong plan, something too suburban. It needs to bridge West Centretown with Hintonburg across the O-Train line in an urban way. The office tower proposals that have been floated for the site do anything but. In the meantime, nothing wrong with a little industry in the heart of the city... and the Orange Monkey still has a few good years left!

waterloowarrior
Dec 3, 2009, 4:38 AM
Science museum wants to replace front-yard park with storage facility
Lighthouse, train would go
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Science+museum+wants+replace+front+yard+park+with+storage+facility/2296010/story.html

BY MARIA COOK, THE OTTAWA CITIZENDECEMBER 2, 2009 11:24 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA — The Canada Science and Technology Museum will offer the park in front of its St. Laurent Boulevard building for private development in exchange for a new building on the site to store museum artifacts.

Denise Amyot, president and CEO of the museum, said she plans to seek a public-private partnership next spring to develop the land, about 3.4 hectares that is currently used to display a lighthouse and locomotive.

“What I want to offer to the private sector is access to my prime land,” she said in an interview yesterday.

“It means they could build my building and I would pay so much rent per year and eventually own it. I would lease that piece of land for development,” said Amyot.

“What I would love is if it would be someone involved in science and technology,” she said. “Then we could create a hub.”

Meanwhile, the museum is developing concept plans for a new museum building and gearing up for fundraising.

“The government told me it’s not ‘if’ but ‘when’ we are getting a new museum,” she said, adding: “I do not yet have the green light.” The museum has decided to separate the public building from the structure that will house the reserve collection.

“In order to be ready when funding for construction becomes available (for a new museum building), the Canada Science and Technology Museum is proceeding with the functional program for the building that will house the reserve collection,” says a project description.

“The decision to move ahead on this building also responds to the auditor general’s recent report on the corporation’s need to properly house this national science and technology collection,” it says.

The museum currently rents three warehouses for storage. Only two per cent of the million objects in the collection are on display. “I’m already at 125 per cent capacity and I have a piece of land where I can build,” said Amyot. “The (federal) government is really encouraging people to do public-private partnership. I think the time is good to do something like that.”

The museum recently hired Toronto museum consultants Lundholm Associates to establish what the museum’s needs will be in a new storage building.That will in turn determine its size and height.

City zoning allows eight storeys, but Amyot doubts they will build that high. “The facility should adequately house the current collection with room for a 25-year growth, as well as offer storage space that could be leased to other national museums,” says the project description.

It “should also have sufficient space for collection related services (conservation lab, collection management, archives) and corporate services,” it says.

“Finally, this new reserve collection facility will have a public accessible collection component, where visitors will be able to view significant objects from the collection and to learn about the collection as a whole.”

The consultants’ study is expected to be finished next March, followed by a request for proposals from the private sector.

Amyot says two unnamed museums have expressed interest in renting space in the building as have three associations related to science and technology.

She envisions a floor of office space available for rent to organizations or start-ups, possibly a high-tech incubator. “Our library and all the staff that is now in the warehouses would be housed there,” she adds.

She hopes the new building could be ready in 18 months, but admits that’s optimistic. “Maybe two-and-a-half years.”

Since opening in 1967, the museum has been housed in a former bakery. The location was meant to be temporary.

“It looks like a dollar store,” she said. “I’m ashamed of that. It’s not functional like it should be. “I do not think we should celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada (in 2017) at that location.”

Amyot has been travelling across Canada to get public input on what Canadians want for the museum, as well as to build support for cross-country exhibitions and shared projects such as distance education. A public consultation session was held in Ottawa on Wednesday.

“I do not want to be a local museum,” she said. “I am a national federal museum.”

Three locations have been identified as suitable: beside Place Jacques Cartier near the Canadian Museum of Civilization, behind the Canadian War Museum and beside the Canada Aviation Museum. A fourth — the former E.B. Eddy site — is being studied.

“No decision has been taken,” said Amyot. “It will be a decision of government. We are pushing to be downtown in Ottawa or the Outaouais.” As a Crown corporation, the museum is not eligible for federal stimulus funds.

Amyot said she was told by government officials that it was important to get funding from individuals as well as the private sector to supplement a federal contribution.

She says they have developed three options for a new museum building, varying by cost and features. These options and costs are not yet public information, she said. But, the idea is to have a “contemporary, elegant” building with open flexible spaces and built to high standards for environmental sustainability.

Exhibition halls will be divided into theme galleries, theatres and discovery centres as well as space for temporary exhibitions.

“The museum will function much like a theatre, with its stage, sets, lights, grid and other built-in systems allowing for a relatively economical change (from show to show),” says a statement of the vision.

“The exhibitions and the collection will be placed in the forefront, rather than the architecture,” it says. “The intent is not to spend excessive funds to create an architectural monument, but to make a lasting impression of the impact of science and technology on visitors of all ages.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

eternallyme
Dec 3, 2009, 5:46 AM
How about the area just north of Bayview Station and just east of the railway line leading to the Prince of Wales Bridge? A direct transit access could be provided by a short bridge to the new Bayview LRT station...

Richard Eade
Dec 3, 2009, 3:30 PM
Ah, the game continues and this could be 'Check and Mate': By removing the front lawn, the existing site will be made totally unsuitable. There will be no expansion options for that location and the Museum will be 'hidden' in the back. Thus, the Museum will have to be moved before the 150th celebration.

Also, the choice of a huge artifact storage facility for the site is a good one. Having other Museums house artifacts there is an even better one - especially since it is to include all the technical support for those collections. Once the Museum is moved, the original building can be removed and that space also used for a new (second) warehouse, consolidating most of the area's needed artifact storage and handling facilities into one place. It is unfortunate that the rail link isn't there any more, though. It was a short-sighted move to remove is since it should have been known that the Museum would have to move some day.

As one of the 'compatible' uses of the new front lawn's building, perhaps schools could set up Museum/Curator education facilities there. Maybe archive facilities could also be included.

I hope that there is sufficient 'work' space included in the warehouse to allow full new displays to be created before being moved to the various Museums. This could help reduce the 'fit-up' time required at the Museums, maximizing the useful time of the public galleries.

Richard Eade
Dec 3, 2009, 3:33 PM
How about the area just north of Bayview Station and just east of the railway line leading to the Prince of Wales Bridge? A direct transit access could be provided by a short bridge to the new Bayview LRT station...
If we had chosen something like Mag-Lev for our rail back-bone, then the train could have run right through the Museum as part of one of its exhibits.

eemy
Dec 3, 2009, 4:14 PM
I like the idea of the EB Eddy plant.

eternallyme
Dec 3, 2009, 4:18 PM
I do like the idea of clustering most or all of the national museums in one area from Jacques Cartier Park down to Tunney's Pasture - making a mini-Smithsonian of sorts and the ability to visit multiple museums in one day possible...

lrt's friend
Dec 3, 2009, 4:55 PM
Ah, the game continues and this could be 'Check and Mate': By removing the front lawn, the existing site will be made totally unsuitable. There will be no expansion options for that location and the Museum will be 'hidden' in the back. Thus, the Museum will have to be moved before the 150th celebration.

Also, the choice of a huge artifact storage facility for the site is a good one. Having other Museums house artifacts there is an even better one - especially since it is to include all the technical support for those collections. Once the Museum is moved, the original building can be removed and that space also used for a new (second) warehouse, consolidating most of the area's needed artifact storage and handling facilities into one place. It is unfortunate that the rail link isn't there any more, though. It was a short-sighted move to remove is since it should have been known that the Museum would have to move some day.

As one of the 'compatible' uses of the new front lawn's building, perhaps schools could set up Museum/Curator education facilities there. Maybe archive facilities could also be included.

I hope that there is sufficient 'work' space included in the warehouse to allow full new displays to be created before being moved to the various Museums. This could help reduce the 'fit-up' time required at the Museums, maximizing the useful time of the public galleries.

I am looking at Google maps sattelite image and the rail line still reaches as far as the Museum.

Richard Eade
Dec 3, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am looking at Google maps sattelite image and the rail line still reaches as far as the Museum.
From the City's 2008 aerial photos:

http://REade.fileave.com/Misc/ST-Museum-Rail-Gone.jpg

This shows that the old rail corridor has been sold off in chunks. (The black lines are property boundaries.) I think the objects I point to near the bottom right are stored rail cars, so the track might still run that far. This is, however, a 2008 photo so things could have changed since then.

rakerman
Dec 4, 2009, 12:25 AM
they definitely should try to get a location near the downtown where most of the museums and galleries already cluster

Dado
Dec 4, 2009, 2:38 AM
If the tracks were lifted, then it was entirely the fault of the Museum itself.

Colin Churcher's last note on the subject is from 2002:
"2002, July - rails are removed from the South Freight Shed Lead between the Alta Vista Freight Terminal and the switch leading to the Canada Science and Technology Museum. It was part of the Canada Atlantic Railway main line opened in 1882. By this time, the North freight Shed Lead has been removed from the Alcan siding, between Walkley Road and Leeds Avenue, to the Alta Vista Freight Terminal. This was part of the former Ottawa and New York Railway (later New York Central) main line which was opened in 1898."
http://www.railways.incanada.net/candate/ottawa.htm#2000

There's nothing further on his page about further rail lifting along the South Freight Shed Lead and, as above, the rail that was left went as far as the Museum, presumably for the Museum's benefit.

From the City's 2008 aerial photos:

http://REade.fileave.com/Misc/ST-Museum-Rail-Gone.jpg

This shows that the old rail corridor has been sold off in chunks. (The black lines are property boundaries.) I think the objects I point to near the bottom right are stored rail cars, so the track might still run that far. This is, however, a 2008 photo so things could have changed since then.

There's something not quite right about these property boundaries... look at the parcel in which you've written "gone forever": it has no road access by itself, so it would have to have been acquired by an adjacent landowner, and that also would have required that the larger parcel be subdivided. The other possibility is that the parcels were always this way; railways are not always unbroken tracts of land and this particular one was once two side-by-side railway corridors as well.

The only real answer is to go out there and take a look (and Google Streetview doesn't help).

waterloowarrior
Dec 4, 2009, 3:32 AM
Are you sure Richard, when I look at EMAPS it looks like the tracks are still there located on the outside of the white dots (fence for the snow dump?)

almostfamous
Dec 4, 2009, 4:16 AM
check out BING maps...in birds eye view... you can see all the work they have been doing. looks like the rails are gone for good.

waterloowarrior
Dec 4, 2009, 4:20 AM
MPs envision Science and Technology Museum beside aviation museum, NRC
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Four+stimulus+projects+behind+schedule/2300376/story.html

BY TOM SPEARS, THE OTTAWA CITIZENDECEMBER 3, 2009 11:02 PM

OTTAWA — Two Ottawa MPs, a Liberal and a Conservative, say they’re ready to support a new building and site for the Canada Science and Technology Museum.

Both Royal Galipeau and Mauril Bélanger want it next to the Canada Aviation Museum and National Research Council, making a science and technology “campus.”

But Galipeau, the Tory for Ottawa-Orléans, says that in a post-stimulus, post-recession era of overspent budgets, the museum should not expect a quick move.

The Mulroney government used NRC land for the CSIS building at Blair and Ogilvie Roads, he said. It would be appropriate to give back land to the NRC by taking some from the former CFB Rockcliffe.

“In that campus, as far as I’m concerned, should also be the Museum of Science and Technology,” Galipeau said.

The museum has been looking for a new site for years. It’s in a former bakery now, and can’t show off 98 per cent of its collection.

On Wednesday, museum CEO Denise Amyot said the current building looks like a dollar store. She plans to let a private developer have its front lawn on St. Laurent Boulevard in exchange for constructing a new museum storage building.

“I’d love to be the advocate for that cause” (of moving to a new site), Galipeau said Thursday. “I would not want it to be politicized, and for that purpose I would probably like to form a consensus with parliamentarians of all parties.

“The idea of a national science campus, involving a museum of science and technology, is full of sense.”

The inter-party work likely begins, he said, with Mauril Bélanger. He said he might approach local NDP and Bloc Québécois MPs, as well.

Galipeau said stimulus money couldn’t have been used for the museum because it wasn’t ready for construction. “So I didn’t go to bat at that particular time.”

Now, he argues, governments have to get their spending back under control. “So is it going to happen while I’m an MP or after I’m an MP? I don’t know.”

Bélanger, the Liberal MP from Ottawa-Vanier, said he has already suggested to Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the new museum should open in 2017, Canada’s 150th anniversary. (On Wednesday, Amyot also called for a new building by 2017.) To open by 2017, Bélanger said, “you got to start thinking about it now.”

“Countries, when they celebrate their centennial or 150th, accompany that with an envelope of money … What size of envelope, that remains to be seen. But if indeed there was political will to use such projects to celebrate Canada’s 150th, I certainly would support that.

“The concept that Mr. Galipeau and I have talked about, and I think we see pretty well eye to eye, is that there’s an opportunity with the Rockcliffe air base being declared surplus, to create what I call la cité scientifique, the science campus.”

The site would be in his riding, on the border of Ottawa-Orléans.

He’s less happy about letting the current site’s “front yard” be turned over to private development as a partnership to provide storage for the present museum, “especially if down the road you’re going to be moving anyhow.”

Galipeau said he hasn’t raised the matter in caucus. “I guess they’ll find out my views by reading your newspaper.”

RTWAP
Dec 4, 2009, 3:06 PM
I do like the idea of clustering most or all of the national museums in one area from Jacques Cartier Park down to Tunney's Pasture - making a mini-Smithsonian of sorts and the ability to visit multiple museums in one day possible...

Me too, although having a few clustered locations is fine too. I don't think city transit is likely to be a viable option unless they can really get the locations closely clustered. Maybe an hourly shuttle-bus service between museums would work.

Dado
Dec 4, 2009, 3:54 PM
check out BING maps...in birds eye view... you can see all the work they have been doing. looks like the rails are gone for good.

They're still there in the BING bird's eye view; you can clearly see that the track defines the edge of the snow pile that occupies much of the rest of the right of way. A short length of the track is covered with snow that is being moved around to melt it.

Based on other projects around the city (and the huge amount of snow still around), these pictures are from the spring of 2008, not 2009.

So we still don't know.

Ottawan
Dec 4, 2009, 4:06 PM
The right location for the Science and Tech Museum is in downtown Ottawa or Gatineau, on Confederation Boulevard, not out near the Aviation Museum. Otherwise, it may as well just build a better, more impressive building where it is.

rakerman
Dec 4, 2009, 4:16 PM
MPs envision Science and Technology Museum beside aviation museum, NRC
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Four+stimulus+projects+behind+schedule/2300376/story.html

“The concept that Mr. Galipeau and I have talked about, and I think we see pretty well eye to eye, is that there’s an opportunity with the Rockcliffe air base being declared surplus, to create what I call la cité scientifique, the science campus.”

The site would be in his riding, on the border of Ottawa-Orléans.

Translated from politician speak: "The concept that Mr. Galipeau and I have talked about is getting a pile of money for a giant building on the border of our ridings, because cutting ribbons in front of giant buildings looks good in the flyers we send to our constituents."

Last time I checked there was some science about cities that said we should stop sticking things out in the suburbs because otherwise, you know, our climate would destabilise. Even IF we have trams ("LRT") to Blair and you put it right next to Blair Station you wouldn't get that many tourists trekking out from downtown. You put it in the yet-to-exist green community of Rockcliffe and people are what, going to take the #12? Or are we going to imagine rapid transit will serve Rockcliffe too? Or do you expect people to take the #190 from Blair? How about you put museums near the hotels and transit services that visitors will actually use downtown?

Plus which, "science campus"? The only time you see people on the NRC "campus" is when they walk from their cars in the "free" parking lots to their buildings. This whole "campus" idea is some 1960s fantasy that if you stick a bunch of buildings containing people who do vaguely-related things together in the woods far away from downtown, it will somehow magically turn into a university. It doesn't work.

rakerman
Dec 4, 2009, 4:18 PM
The right location for the Science and Tech Museum is in downtown Ottawa or Gatineau, on Confederation Boulevard, not out near the Aviation Museum. Otherwise, it may as well just build a better, more impressive building where it is.

I agree.

Richard Eade
Dec 4, 2009, 5:50 PM
Are you sure Richard, when I look at EMAPS it looks like the tracks are still there located on the outside of the white dots (fence for the snow dump?)
I stand corrected. There does appear to be a spur into the Museum remaining. I had walked across the bridge over Innes and through the trucking lot (where there are definitely no tracks), but I guess I wasn't as far south as I thought. The 'white dots' are probably concrete blocks since those are used in other spots around there.

lrt's friend
Dec 6, 2009, 2:34 AM
Took a look today. There are two sets of tracks. One goes through a gate. I could not tell if it continued beyond there but presumably it does. The second set headed over to a building to the east of the museum. There were rail cars on the tracks including a vintage one belonging to the Bytown Railway Society.

acottawa
Dec 6, 2009, 3:24 PM
A new science museum would be nice, but the project has been "just around the corner" for decades (I think the NAC sits on a site expropriated for the purpose of a new science museum). Unless some billionaire steps up offering major funding, I doubt it is going to happen anytime soon. It lacks the prestige of an art gallery or history museum and the national support of a war museum. Since almost every major city in Canada has a science museum, it primarily caters to locals and schoolchildren. And for some reason, the cost estimates are (ironically) astronomical.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Dec 6, 2009, 8:14 PM
Frankly, I find it appalling that the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto is better than what's supposed to be a National Institution.

RTWAP
Dec 7, 2009, 9:10 PM
They should just call it Canada Exploratorium Canada, and put it somewhere central. And do everything they can to copy the San Francisco Exploratorium. They focus on great exhibits, and on outreach for science teachers and a significant web presence.

rakerman
Jan 30, 2010, 3:02 PM
Hull/Gatineau speculation continues

"The plan to redevelop downtown Hull during the next 15 to 20 years includes a cultural district on Montcalm Street with a municipal art gallery and central public library, new shops and possibly a Museum of Science and Technology on Laurier Street."

Ottawa Citizen - Dreaming big in Gatineau (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Dreaming+Gatineau/2503271/story.html) - January 30, 2010

reidjr
Jan 30, 2010, 3:16 PM
Am i understanding this right they could start in 2010 or 2011.

Kitchissippi
Jan 30, 2010, 3:57 PM
:previous: for the boardwalk on Jacques-Cartier (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.455585,-75.694535&spn=0,359.990033&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.455933,-75.696955&panoid=yHpEpk0zcQ_oWTi1ASpdhg&cbp=12,275.12,,0,5), not on any of the stuff in the downtown waterfront

reidjr
Jan 30, 2010, 4:28 PM
:previous: for the boardwalk on Jacques-Cartier (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.455585,-75.694535&spn=0,359.990033&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.455933,-75.696955&panoid=yHpEpk0zcQ_oWTi1ASpdhg&cbp=12,275.12,,0,5), not on any of the stuff in the downtown waterfront

Is there a web site where i can find more info on the boardwalk.

Kitchissippi
Jan 30, 2010, 4:58 PM
it is in the NCC's website (http://ncc-ccn.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16300-20466-35369&lang=1)

Concept (2006) (http://ncc-ccn.ca/data/2/rec_docs/21994_Jacques-Cartier-Summary.pdf)

reidjr
Jan 30, 2010, 5:18 PM
Is there a time frame set for the downtown upgrades.

Kitchissippi
Jan 30, 2010, 7:00 PM
I doubt it, the Domtar land has not even been acquired by the government yet.

If you want to speculate and pretend that this might be done by the sequicentennial in 2017, maybe a theoretical time line comparing it to the last mega-museum building phase: Both the Museum of Civilization and the National Gallery were announced in 1983/84, and opened in 1988, a five year timeline. Maybe we'll hear something by 2012?

As for the Kruger site beside the CMC, the NCC bought that in 2003 and leased it back for 25 years, so we'll be lucky to see anything happen there before 2028, but who knows?

waterloowarrior
Jul 19, 2012, 2:13 AM
Feds won't build new Science and Technology Museum
$500M project seeks to create 'Smithsonian of the north'
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/18/feds-wont-build-new-canada-science-and-technology-museum
BY JON WILLING ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 2012 07:27 PM EDT | UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 2012 08:18 PM EDT

With the Domtar complex on the Ottawa River being the preferred choice for a half-billion-dollar relocation of the Canada Science and Technology Museum, managers are knee-deep in planning and hoping taxpayers foot most of the bill.

Turns out, it might all be castles in the air.

A spokesman for Heritage Minister James Moore says the feds won’t fund it.

“We will not be building a new science and technology museum,” Sebastien Gariepy wrote in an e-mail to the Sun.

That could leave the museum running a colossal fundraising campaign or reaching out to the private sector for a partnership. Internal museum documents suggest capital costs could be as high as $700 million.

The museum has banked on raising $150 million from philanthropic donors, the documents say.

But as museum public affairs VP Yves St-Onge pointed out in an interview this week, the private sector often wants to see a public funding commitment before signing on.

“It’s chicken and egg,” St-Onge said.

A stack of 2011-2012 museum meeting minutes and reports obtained by the Sun shows a lot of thought going into moving the museum downtown Ottawa or Gatineau.

In June 2010, the museum went public that it was looking at four sites, including Domtar. The other three sites are LeBreton Flats, Rockcliffe Park and Jacques-Cartier Park.

The Domtar complex, north of the Canadian War Museum, is the top-ranked site.

“It is an incredible location because it is at the hub of many things in town,” St-Onge said. “It spans over two cities, spans over two provinces.”

The museum — famous for its crazy kitchen display and more recently for its sex exhibit — is in southeast Ottawa and there’s a burning desire to find a bigger space somewhere in the core to create, as one document says, a “Smithsonian of the north.”

Only 2% of the museum’s collection can be on display at once because of space constraints. The museum has operated since 1967 in what was once a bakery warehouse.

A business case commissioned by the museum — at a cost of $174,000 — suggests visitor attendance is being hampered by lack of space and outdated exhibits.

Several heavy-hitters have been consulted during the museum’s planning, including leaders of other Canadian museums, industry bigwigs and university presidents. Ten students from University of Ottawa’s Telfer School of Management were also invited to the table.

And there has been political jockeying, too.

Minutes from a meeting last May say two NDP MPs requested to meet with museum CEO Denise Amyot about building the new museum in Gatineau.

Mayoral offices in Ottawa and Gatineau have been kept in the loop, too.

Meanwhile, there remains a faint hope the museum can somehow snatch the Domtar property.

Domtar spokesman Stuart Lister noted the company sold its hydro assets recently to Hydro Ottawa, but the rest of the property is still for sale.

“We are actively looking for a buyer,” Lister said, but he declined to say if the museum is factoring into any discussions.

“We don’t comment on past, future or current negotiations.”

The museum’s internal documents were obtained for the Sun by access specialist Ken Rubin.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @JonathanWilling

eternallyme
Jul 19, 2012, 2:30 AM
The Domtar site is an excellent one, I totally agree, both sides of Booth Street can be used as well!

As for funding it, there should be a 33-33-33 partnership, between the federal government, private sector companies and private donors. Maybe with two-thirds funded elsewhere, the federal government can return to the table.

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2012, 4:52 AM
They didn't have a problem funding the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg. They could at least give us the new Science and Tech as a 150th legacy project. It would very appropriate since the St-Laurent location was a "temporary" 100th legacy project.

Harley613
Jul 19, 2012, 6:10 AM
It will happen. This is just some skycraperpage ottawa like-minded journalist digging up old documents and shit to try to stir the pot, and I love it... I bet $20 of hard earned cash ground will break in five years on the new Science & Tech at the Domtar site.

JeffB
Jul 19, 2012, 1:12 PM
They didn't have a problem funding the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg.

How much did that one cost?

jaydog0212
Jul 19, 2012, 1:15 PM
How much did that one cost?

The cost was $310 million.

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2012, 2:28 PM
Went up to 351 million.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/human+rights+museum+cost+jumps+to+351+million/6442547674/story.html

Not that it's a huge difference than 310 million.

The last museum built in OT was the War museum at a pretty budget friendly at 137 million and before that, they built the National Art Gallery at 122 million in 1988 and the Civilization for 340 million in 1989. According to the Bank of Canada inflation calculator, that would amount to 777,312,676$ in 2012 (from 1988).

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/

We are long overdue for a new national museum in the Canadian Capital for the 2017 celebrations.

jaydog0212
Jul 19, 2012, 2:54 PM
Went up to 351 million.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/human+rights+museum+cost+jumps+to+351+million/6442547674/story.html

Not that it's a huge difference than 310 million.

The last museum built in OT was the War museum at a pretty budget friendly at 137 million and before that, they built the National Art Gallery at 122 million in 1988 and the Civilization for 340 million in 1989. According to the Bank of Canada inflation calculator, that would amount to 777,312,676$ in 2012 (from 1988).

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/

We are long overdue for a new national museum in the Canadian Capital for the 2017 celebrations.

No matter how you break it down its a fair amount of money.

adam-machiavelli
Jul 19, 2012, 3:03 PM
I thought those 2 islands were reserved for First Nations cultural facilities and the paper mill on the north side of the river would get the Science and Tech Museum.

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2012, 3:22 PM
I thought those 2 islands were reserved for First Nations cultural facilities and the paper mill on the north side of the river would get the Science and Tech Museum.

The old stone mill mid-way down the Portage Bridge (east side) that was recently renovated was supposed to be an Aboriginal centre of sorts. The rest of the Islands are up for grabs.

And yes jaydog0212, it is a lot of money, so was the investment in designing the Portrait Gallery, cancelling it, doing a competition and cancelling that too since the bidder that was guaranteed a win (Calgary) couldn’t get their act together. Oh, and then we have the 800 million military truck RFP that was cancelled (lawsuits anyone?) and those jets, how much for those jets? Oh yeah! They don't know! (Or they’re lying to us)

I could keep listing a lot of a tax dollars wasted by the Harper Government, but I won’t waste my time.

Ottawan
Jul 19, 2012, 3:46 PM
It will happen. This is just some skycraperpage ottawa like-minded journalist digging up old documents and shit to try to stir the pot, and I love it... I bet $20 of hard earned cash ground will break in five years on the new Science & Tech at the Domtar site.

You're so right about the provenance of this story, and I love it too! That said, I only hope you're right about the rest (breaking ground in five years).

I place 0 value in the political staffer's statement that the Federal Government will not fund this museum - until there is an announcement that they will fund it, this is the only logical talking point for the Heritage Minister's aide.

I do believe that money is particularly tight right now for this sort of cultural investment, whether due to economic conditions, perceptions of economic conditions, or this government's particular set of priorities. That said, this project could go forward with significantly less apparent investment if stakeholders could come together with creative solutions:

-The museum corporation owns significant real estate at its current location, and if the city upzones that land, could make a significant windfall off of it.

-Domtar may wish to sell all their land to a single buyer in order to dispose of it efficiently. The museum corporation could buy it all, then parcel it and sell off unneeded portions at a profit for those parcels to offset costs.

-The municipal governments (City of Ottawa & City of Gatineau) could agree to forego their taxes (actually payments-in-lieu of taxes from the Federal government) for some number of years (a decade?) on the condition that that money is still paid by the Feds, just allocated to the construction budget, a portion of which could be amortized over this period.

-Some money could come directly from at '2017 commemoration fund', which would offset the amount of direct investment in the museum.

-Some infrastructure investments which the Museum may currently feel they need to make (roadway improvements, pedestrian bridges, etc) could instead be undertaken and paid for by the NCC, which would likely be willing to take this on in order to have a greater say in the planning of the area, and which sees itself as having a vested interest in this land which is considered part of the 'national interest land' inventory, and is located on or near Confederation Boulevard.

Using these or other creative funding means, along with the private fundraising campaign, could make the building a reality.

lrt's friend
Jul 19, 2012, 4:00 PM
This government has no interest in legacy projects for Ottawa. It is reflection of current economics and party ideology.

eternallyme
Jul 19, 2012, 4:33 PM
The old stone mill mid-way down the Portage Bridge (east side) that was recently renovated was supposed to be an Aboriginal centre of sorts. The rest of the Islands are up for grabs.

And yes jaydog0212, it is a lot of money, so was the investment in designing the Portrait Gallery, cancelling it, doing a competition and cancelling that too since the bidder that was guaranteed a win (Calgary) couldn’t get their act together. Oh, and then we have the 800 million military truck RFP that was cancelled (lawsuits anyone?) and those jets, how much for those jets? Oh yeah! They don't know! (Or they’re lying to us)

I could keep listing a lot of a tax dollars wasted by the Harper Government, but I won’t waste my time.

In the case of the Human Rights museum, the Liberals started it and it was continued by the Conservatives, so both parties are guilty.

J.OT13
Jul 19, 2012, 4:42 PM
In the case of the Human Rights museum, the Liberals started it and it was continued by the Conservatives, so both parties are guilty.

I thought it was 2008.

But to be fair, the Liberals we're ready to build the Portrait Gallery in the old US Embassy and the Conservatives killed it, moved it to Calgary, developer backed out, competition followed, Calgary wouldn't get their act together, competition cancelled.

I think all National Museums should be in the Federal Capital like all Provincial Museums should be in the Provincial Capital.

jaydog0212
Jul 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
This government has no interest in legacy projects for Ottawa. It is reflection of current economics and party ideology.

Then they should not be funding things such as the Pan Am games.

eternallyme
Jul 20, 2012, 9:24 PM
I thought it was 2008.

But to be fair, the Liberals we're ready to build the Portrait Gallery in the old US Embassy and the Conservatives killed it, moved it to Calgary, developer backed out, completion followed, Calgary wouldn't get their act together, competition cancelled.

I think all National Museums should be in the Federal Capital like all Provincial Museums should be in the Provincial Capital.

I generally agree, although regional museums could be set up. For example, a Western Agricultural Museum could be set up in Regina, or a Maritime Museum in Halifax or Victoria.

J.OT13
Jul 21, 2012, 4:07 AM
I generally agree, although regional museums could be set up. For example, a Western Agricultural Museum could be set up in Regina, or a Maritime Museum in Halifax or Victoria.

I agree, if a museum is specific to a region that makes sense.

Uhuniau
Jul 22, 2012, 5:32 AM

More so the latter than the former.

eternallyme
Mar 23, 2013, 9:08 PM
Back to the museums idea...

Since Civilization is being converted to History, how about a new First Nations-themed museum? That would free up the first floor for that purpose AND give the First Nations a dedicated museum.

Most suitable location? The stone mill adjacent to the Portage Bridge on Victoria Island (presumably with significant expansions as well). It could have a large outdoor component as well.

citydwlr
Aug 9, 2013, 1:35 AM
There's a good commentary on the state of the Science and Tech museum in the Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Sutcliffe+Tired+science+tech+museum+deserves+better/8765167/story.html

Like a faded, dog-eared snapshot, the science museum is an eroding artifact from another time. In fact, the facility itself belongs in a museum: it’s an astonishingly accurate depiction of what such institutions were like in the 1970s. That’s a remarkable accomplishment given that its mandate is to celebrate innovation and progress.

:D

The current state of this museum is very sad. I also feel like the Space and Aviation museum has sort of stolen it's thunder in recent years, especially when it acquired the Canadarm, and the recent Star Wars exhibit (which, in my opinion would have suited the Science and Tech museum a bit better...). Maybe the city/government should consider merging the two museums into one behemoth museum on the Aviation Parkway? It's a bit out of the way, but I'd consider going there over the old bread factory off St. Laurent :S

We should really have something in the same vein as Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry (http://www.msichicago.org/)...

Capital Shaun
Aug 9, 2013, 1:46 AM
Many of the exhibits haven't changed much since when I was my boys' age.

And I agree, having the Canadarm and various space related exhibits at the Aviation museum has certainly not helped the Science & Tech museum.

gjhall
Aug 9, 2013, 2:13 AM
Maybe Windmill can incorporate it and/or form a partnership for the Museum of Science and Tech? Maybe a landswap as part of it?

kwoldtimer
Aug 9, 2013, 3:22 AM
According to the Citizen article that preceded the one above, the Museum is no longer planning for a move or a new museum. If they were, I'd like to see it on the site that's available next to the Aviation Museum.

Harley613
Aug 9, 2013, 3:27 AM
The bread factory is an absolute joke. I went there two years ago and they had an exhibit about the history of data storage that ended with DVD-R and DVD+R. They don't even try anymore. It's a national disgrace. I often imagine Aussies and Brits and people of the world coming and getting a room at the Ottawa Jail hostel and taking a bus to the Science and Tech Museum and being like 'what...the...fuck...'

OTSkyline
Aug 9, 2013, 12:28 PM
I agree, the state and location of the current Science and Tech museum is pretty embarassing. I love the idea of merging it with the space and aviation museum, I mean Where would Aviation and Space be without Science and Technology? And in general, it's always better to visit nice, big museums then having 3-4 small random museums.

So if I had my way, it would be 1 big museum called the Science & Space Museum (or something like that) and it would be located either at:
A) Bayview Yards
B) Carling (close to Dow's Lake/Little Itally and O-train)
C) Hurdman Station (They could build a nice big museum there and they are already planing on redevelopping and adding condo's and stuff around so it could become a great vibrant area.

Harley613
Aug 9, 2013, 12:48 PM
How about at the old Rockcliffe Base? It could have a bridge to the existing Aviation Museum which could be an off-site just like the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Washington is to the Smithsonian Air & Space except a LOT closer.

http://i.imgur.com/bAeJgyA.jpg

McC
Aug 9, 2013, 2:17 PM
one challenge: there's no train tracks for moving the locomotives.

gjhall
Aug 9, 2013, 3:05 PM

Now that would be a challenge.

OTSkyline
Aug 9, 2013, 3:59 PM
I think one thing to consider with location is that probably the bulk of the visitors will be tourists or people from out of town. Therefore if they took the plane or train and don't have a car, it has to be easily accessible.

Hence why I suggested Bayview Yards (close to downtown and right on the Confederation Line), Carling (Confederation & O-train) and Hurdman (Confederation). All easily accessible from downtown and from buses/train. The location at Rockliffe is fine but not close to downtown nor accessible (unless you drive there)... On the other hand, both the existing Space & Aviation AND the Science and Tech are out there with no good transit connections as we speak.. but if we are to relocate shouldn't we try to fix this issue?

J.OT13
Aug 9, 2013, 4:07 PM

Bayview it is! Not only is there the obvious fact that it is the only desirable location where a freight grade train track is still there (move your asses before it is converted to electric LRT, Gatineau's likely out because the POW bridge is probably in no shape to support any kind of train ) but it is right on the crossroads of our two rapid transit lines. There is plenty of room, it is on the water (waterfront cafés)... Rockliffe base, Hurdman and Dow's Lake are also good spots, but I think the museum deserves the most central location possible with direct rapid transit access to downtown. The Aviation and Space museum shouldn't move; it needs an airport like the Science and Tech needs a rail line (maybe, temporarily, at least for the move).

Harley613
Aug 9, 2013, 5:15 PM
Here's a hackjob I whipped up: Canadian Tire Centre & the world's most visited Science museum in Paris to scale on Bayview:

(unfortunately, according to this article from 6 days ago, we aren't going to see this any time too soon: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Science+museum+longer+looking+location/8743583/story.html)

http://i.imgur.com/Q3DsdlJ.jpg

citydwlr
Aug 10, 2013, 12:19 AM
How about at the old Rockcliffe Base? It could have a bridge to the existing Aviation Museum which could be an off-site just like the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Washington is to the Smithsonian Air & Space except a LOT closer.

http://i.imgur.com/bAeJgyA.jpg

Actually, I like this idea. There's tons of land there that could be developed for this purpose. Instead of a bridge, and in keeping with the Science and Tech theme, how about a monorail? ;)

In terms of it being centrally located, I don't know if that is a major issue for tourists so long as there is a relatively easy way to get there (simple connections on public transport, for example). The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is at least 15-20 minutes outside of the downtown core by bus (away from all of the hotels, in a residential museum), and that place is always busy (I've been there on 2 separate occasions). Also, the Toronto Science Centre is quite far out (Don Mills area, I believe) and it always draws tourists and locals. It's not super easy to get to without a car (takes a Subway and a bus usually), but it still draws the crowds, and it gets some pretty decent exhibits.

With that said, the other suggestions (Bayview, Hurdman, etc...) aren't bad options either and definitely benefit from easier transport connections. I've mentioned it before, but I seriously think that baseball stadium could/should be converted to something else (non-baseball-ish), and the Science and Tech museum could fit the bill... Alternatively, when talk spread of Tunney's being redeveloped, I also thought that might make a good spot for it, and a solid draw for people to go into that area outside of business hours.

J.OT13
Aug 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
Here's a hackjob I whipped up: Canadian Tire Centre & the world's most visited Science museum in Paris to scale on Bayview:

(unfortunately, according to this article from 6 days ago, we aren't going to see this any time too soon: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/Science+museum+longer+looking+location/8743583/story.html)

http://i.imgur.com/Q3DsdlJ.jpg

Good thinking super imposing the museum in France. We should take inspiration from that place.

Looking at this, the Science and Tech could be integrated with the City's innovation complex. The Corel Centre might take up to much space; better put it at Hurdman.

rocketphish
Sep 11, 2014, 11:59 PM
Canada Science and Technology Museum remains closed due to mould
Museum's reopening date not yet known

CBC News Posted: Sep 11, 2014 7:27 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 11, 2014 7:27 PM ET

The Canada Science and Technology Museum (CSTM), which was closed earlier this month for annual maintenance, will remain closed for an undetermined length of time after the discovery of airborne mould.

Mould was found in the south wall of the museum and air tests performed since then have found "unacceptable" amounts of airborne mould, said a news release issued Thursday.

"Management has thus decided the CSTM would remain closed until remedial work is performed," the release said. "Museum management is currently examining options with its contractors, and the length of time the museum will remain closed is currently unknown."

The museum was set to be closed to the public until Friday. Staff working inside were evacuated from the building on Thursday when the air tests were disclosed to management.

Some birthday parties, group visits and other previously booked events could be cancelled depending on the length of time the museum remains closed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-science-and-technology-museum-remains-closed-due-to-mould-1.2763839

waterloowarrior
Sep 12, 2014, 12:45 AM
Embarrassing

Harley613
Sep 12, 2014, 5:42 AM
Embarrassing

The museum in general is embarrassing. The last time I went there around four years ago there was a display proclaiming the CD-ROM as the pinnacle of human achievement in data storage.

eemy
Sep 12, 2014, 9:09 AM
It would be an excellent candidate to locate in another city, if a museum had to be chosen. (Rather it than the portrait gallery)

YOWflier
Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
The Science and Tech museum belongs in Ottawa. We should be building a new facility in this town worthy of its title.

phil235
Sep 12, 2014, 1:33 PM
The Science and Tech museum belongs in Ottawa. We should be building a new facility in this town worthy of its title.

Yes and yes.

EdFromOttawa
Sep 12, 2014, 2:03 PM
Embarrassing

The museum is the worst in Ottawa which is saying something. Tear it down and put it in a real, somewhat accessible place.

1overcosc
Sep 12, 2014, 2:07 PM
The museum in general is embarrassing. The last time I went there around four years ago there was a display proclaiming the CD-ROM as the pinnacle of human achievement in data storage.

Ouch.

Nepean
Sep 12, 2014, 2:23 PM

I agree. The museum is doing the best that it can with terrible resources.

In Washington D.C. they have the wonderful Smithsonian complex, with 19 museums, 9 research centers, and affiliates around the world.

In contrast, we can't turn the abandoned U.S. embassy on Wellington into a museum -- Mayor Watson has said this building should become a Canadian Smithsonian -- or use the obvious space in Lebreton Flats to build a Science and Tech centre.

drawarc
Sep 12, 2014, 2:33 PM
The museum has been housed in a former bakery for almost 50 years now, time to build a new one.

daud
Sep 12, 2014, 3:29 PM

I have never written an MP about any issue. Today i wrote my MP about the Science Museum. What has been allowed to not happen is a total disgrace and reflective of a developing nation, not a first world country.

This may sound a bit dramatic, but seriously-what message are we sending our youth? our tourists? Total embarrassment. How can the province of Ontario fund 2 amazing Science institutions (Ontario Science Centre and Science North) and the Government of Canada can only muster what we currently have?

YOWflier
Sep 12, 2014, 4:13 PM
It's a matter of awareness and priorities ... squeaky wheel.

If the Feds receive enough pressure/incentive to escalate this file, they will.

bikegypsy
Sep 13, 2014, 3:53 AM
That thing was a dump the last time I set foot in it 30 odd years ago. Thankfully, all the other museums of national importance in town are now up to date if not pretty awesome, such as the National Gallery. I'm quite optimistic that we'll see a new building for the science and tech museum pop up somewhere in Lebreton in the next decade.

Harley613
Sep 13, 2014, 5:56 AM
It's a complete travesty. I would NEVER recommend a visit there to out of town friends. It's a national embarrassment and it needs to be replaced ASAP.

rocketphish
Sep 16, 2014, 12:01 AM
For imagination’s sake, save the Science and Tech Museum

Emma Godmere, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 15, 2014, Last Updated: September 15, 2014 4:11 PM EDT

I stood in awe. I’d never before seen anything so large in such a small space. I craned my neck so far I bent backward, sizing up the gigantic steam locomotives that towered just past the Canada Science and Technology Museum’s entrance; they made the surrounding exhibits look like rooms in a dollhouse. Awe turned to anxiety as my imagination ran wild: could these trains spring to life, bowling over my seven-year-old frame, bursting through the museum’s walls, speeding toward St. Laurent Boulevard?

My father saw my face turning white and whisked me away to the radio and television exhibits; my unexpected introduction to the science of the world in which I immerse myself daily. My imagination ran a much less frightened course as I learned how voices and images are transmitted through the air. A new kind of awe rooted me to the spot. I daydreamed about working in media someday. Even standing among the trains, I was spellbound. I didn’t want to leave.

To anyone else, I was just another suburban Ottawa kid ambling around a museum on a quiet, admission-free evening. But what no one else could see was that I — along with hundreds, even thousands of unsuspecting students before and after me — was discovering a whole new dimension, one that computer screens and elementary school science classes could never quite reach.

Last week’s story that detailed the indefinite closure of the Science and Technology Museum due to mould contamination was hard to believe. Not because anyone thought that building could last forever — incredibly, its current location, an old bakery, was only meant to be a temporary home for the museum when it opened in 1967 — but because this better-than-a-classroom laboratory of learning has been cast aside for so long, left to cope with a crumbling building and no concrete plans for a brighter future. The museum is so despondent, and so desperate to hold on to what little infrastructure it currently has, that it effectively trashed its plans to seek out a new home and instead spend its limited funds on urgent building maintenance.

Meanwhile, the newly rebranded Canadian Museum of History enjoyed a $25-million investment from the federal government in 2012; the Canadian Museum of Nature concluded a spectacular renewal project in 2010, one that took six years and $216 million to accomplish; and the Canadian War Museum moved into its stately LeBreton Flats home in 2005, at a final cost of about $135 million. Of course, each was not without its issues: public criticism, government concerns and hefty price tags were only a few among many obstacles that set these projects back on several occasions. But now they stand before us, gleaming and new, ready to enjoy and explore, while its forgotten sibling remains stranded in a space unfit for use.

There is some hope: the National Capital Commission may soon be considering plans for new developments on LeBreton Flats, one of the oft-cited potential locations for a new Science and Technology Museum. And the Ottawa-area federal minister in charge of the NCC, John Baird, recently stated his support for a new museum — though he still quickly noted that, “obviously it’s a question of money.”

That pure, independent, curiosity-driven discovery that the Science and Technology Museum provides for a kid — especially a modern-day, Internet-burdened kid — is priceless. I was lucky that those trains never actually sprang to life. But my imagination did, in a way that it never quite has again in the time since I last walked through those derelict doors.

Emma Godmere is a writer, radio producer and host living in Toronto.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/emma-godmere-for-imaginations-sake-save-the-science-and-tech-museum

acottawa
Sep 16, 2014, 1:26 AM
I can't find the feasibility study that was done about a decade ago, but I recall when it came out that it was a huge number (for some reason $700M rings a bell). I think part of the problem is that a new museum is off the scale of what governments (of any political stripe) have been willing to pay for museums recently.

eternallyme
Sep 16, 2014, 2:18 AM
Could the private sector and donors help out? Maybe if they get enough donations, they could lower - or eliminate - admission costs.

rocketphish
Sep 16, 2014, 5:08 PM
Museum mould repair likely to take weeks: Spokesman

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 16, 2014, Last Updated: September 16, 2014 11:54 AM EDT

Repairs at the Canada Science and Technology Museum will likely take a number of weeks, according to the first estimate since the building was evacuated last Thursday.

There’s still no formal time estimate. But on Tuesday, a museum spokesman contacted the Citizen by email to say that “we now know that the Museum will remain closed at least for a few weeks, although even that is tentative and may be revised going forward.”

The museum was already closed last week for annual maintenance, and should have reopened on Saturday.

But on Thursday, workers found mould inside the south wall of the building on St. Laurent Boulevard.

Air tests followed, and these showed mould levels were unacceptable. Mould is a health hazard that causes mainly respiratory problems.

Officially the museum remains closed “indefinitely.” Tuesday’s announcement is the first time management has given any indication of the expected time for repairs.

All staff remain out of the building. Repairs have not yet begun.

tspears@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/museum-mould-repair-likely-to-take-weeks-spokesman

c_speed3108
Sep 16, 2014, 5:26 PM
I can't find the feasibility study that was done about a decade ago, but I recall when it came out that it was a huge number (for some reason $700M rings a bell). I think part of the problem is that a new museum is off the scale of what governments (of any political stripe) have been willing to pay for museums recently.

I forget the exact numbers as well but this was exactly the problem. Those running the museum swung for the home run ball, instead of maybe asking for say $250m - $300m or something and making the design such that it is easily expandable later. A smaller number and the deal would have been much more likely to happen....right down to the smiling ministers cutting the ribbon. :shrug:

J.OT13
Sep 16, 2014, 6:01 PM
If Trudeau gets elected in 2015, let's hope he takes from his father and builds up cultural institutions in the Federal Capital.

hwy418
Sep 16, 2014, 7:51 PM
If Trudeau gets elected in 2015, let's hope he takes from his father and builds up cultural institutions in the Federal Capital.

... and that would most likely mean the Museum would move to Gatineau. :yuck:

J.OT13
Sep 16, 2014, 9:12 PM
... and that would most likely mean the Museum would move to Gatineau. :yuck:

I'd say 50/50. Trudeau did build the national Art Gallery in Ottawa.

As much as I would prefer it stayed in Ottawa, Gatineau is a better alternative to moving it out west or spreading the collection across the country.

acottawa
Sep 16, 2014, 10:29 PM

If he is like his father he will do nothing for cultural institutions in the capital for his first 14 years in office (minus the Joe Clark era) and then go nuts just before retirement and leave his successors with the bill.