PDA

View Full Version : less Spires and more Absolutes?

WhipperSnapper
Oct 14, 2007, 5:50 PM
I appreciate the Spires out there especially considering the earlier schlock they replaced but, with every now second tower seemingly coming from the same architect, it's getting a tad repetitive. I'm not saying Absolute is all that great (compared to the Ritz's and L's) but, I don't exactly find Clewes to be that exceptional either.

TOBoy
Oct 16, 2007, 12:11 AM
You are right. At the beginning, Spire was different and offered something new. All glass and no precast, and while having a simple design, showed that a little creativity could make a box exciting again.

Now however, it seems the design has gone the way of the slab appartment. Most often I need to look up the name of the preliminary reports as I can't tell which one is which. It's like everything in life where the same design is rehashed over and over again until evenually you hate them and they move onto the next one.

Maldive
Oct 16, 2007, 12:30 AM
... for a minute there I thought you were complaining about Australian architecture!

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Oct 21, 2007, 7:39 PM
I wouldn't worry to much. Our city has enough highrise mass that even 50 more Spires thrown in the mixture would still look good. I'm actually finding the style is now somewhat shifting to more of a Mosaic style. Lumier, 22, Montage, and one like it by Tridel on Jarvis. Just be glad we have so many Spire look a likes and not a city full of Absolutes. I see room for plenty more goodlookin :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1284/1198498470_7ae608444b_o.jpg

Canadian Mind
Oct 23, 2007, 5:39 AM
one thing I don't understand about Downtown Toronto is how industrial it appeared (same with New York) some of the buildings I saw appeared to be more like some of those industrial buildings you'd see popping up in sim city, with exposed metal framing and duct-work. seemed rather odd to see from street level in downtown. one such industrial looking structure is a giant chimney looking thing just north of city-hall (centre-left of this picture). I spent about ten minutes looking at the thing, and couldn't possibly find out what it was, or what it was for..

miketoronto
Oct 23, 2007, 8:27 PM
I think that chimney thing has something to do with steam heating for the downtown buildings or hospitals or something like that.

WhipperSnapper
Oct 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
I spent about ten minutes looking at the thing, and couldn't possibly find out what it was, or what it was for..

a gas fired power plant provding heat to dozens of downtown towers (more efficeint than each tower having its own furnace)

WhipperSnapper
Oct 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
for a minute there I thought you were complaining about Australian architecture

hey man ... only had a few minutes to come up with something that might create discussion. And, yeah, I don't like vibrant colours or spires for the sake of colour and poles.