PDA

View Full Version : Philly | The Big Green Building | Broad & South

theWatusi
Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.biggreenbuilding.org/

The Urban Green Partnership, a nonprofit organization, in cooperation with its partners is poised to construct a beacon of green technology in the heart of Philadelphia. Located at the corner of Broad and South Streets, the Big Green Building (or BGB) will be a living, breathing, fully operational, interactive, mixed-use structure where consumers can see and experience the next generation of energy-conscious buildings.

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, the Big Green Building will demonstrate how alternative energy tools such as solar, geothermal, wind, and green roof technologies can work together to make any urban building less dependent on fossil fuels.

BGB’s most unique feature will be the world’s first ‘eco-product’ testing lab where proprietary data will be gathered from all five of the building’s distinct energy-consuming environments (office space, commercial kitchens, residential apartments, retail establishments and research facilities), as well as independent testing of new green technology products to understand their durability, sustainability, practicality and lifecycle. This data will then be synthesized and made available through a real-time database, allowing consumers to see for themselves how saving the environment and saving money go hand-in-hand.

In addition to the exciting and innovative approach to interconnected green technologies, the Big Green Building will provide incubator space for new eco-oriented businesses, helping to position Philadelphia as a world leader in alternative energy development and implementation.

The next economic revolution, the green American revolution, will be born in Philadelphia.

The Project team
Project Manager Randy White
Systems Support is being provided by Bill Ryczek
Electrical Support is being provided by Hua Yan
Real Estate services are being provided by Town Land & Country Realty
Industrial Design services being provided by Drew Decker Design
Bird Control services being provided by PiCAS UK Ltd
Development support being provided by Dalmatian Development

The Architects
Green Building Deisgn Architecture Re-Vision
Green Building Documentation Architect & Architect of Record Ballinger
Green Building Architecture Support M2 Architecture

The Engineers
Structural Engineering Support Provided By Ballinger Engineering
Civil Engineering Support Provided By Pennoni Associates Inc
Mechanical Engineering Support Provided by Ballinger Engineering
Project Commisioning services provided by Bala Engineering

The Contractors
Contracting Services provided by A&E Construction
Contracting Services Provided by Bedwell Company

The Developers
To Be Announced at a Later Time

The Independant Review Team
Architecture reviews will be provided by Organic Architect
Engineering reviews will be provided byAKF Engineers
Architecture Leadership will be provided by William Marston

Lincolndrive
Jul 21, 2007, 5:54 PM
http://www.biggreenbuilding.org

I wonder how far off this project is? Anyone know? Very interesting though... thanks for the post.

Seely32
Jul 23, 2007, 7:58 PM
I also wonder on what the size of this building would be and where would it get its funding.

philliesphinest
Jul 24, 2007, 1:39 AM
Unfortunately this building will never be built in Philly. It sounds like something for the west coast.

volguus zildrohar
Jul 24, 2007, 2:12 AM
This has been floating in the air for a few months. I'm a little excited at the prospect - and never say never, phinest.

relnahe
Jul 24, 2007, 5:30 AM
Unfortunately this building will never be built in Philly. It sounds like something for the west coast.

Huh...I don't get it? West Coast?

Maybe it was the west coast that also just had the largest green building built.

Foolish comments should stay in your McMansion.

philliesphinest
Jul 24, 2007, 11:33 PM
I said unfortunately IMO I did not think it would be built. I would like to see it built but I just don't think it will happen in Philly. I am pleased that Comcast decided to be environmentally friendly and I welcome future green projects.

Rufus
Jul 25, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah I don't get the "west coast" comment.:shrug:

DanJ
Jul 26, 2007, 1:49 PM
The next economic revolution, the green American revolution, will be born in Philadelphia.

That's a rather funny comment.

I think its great that a green research lab such as this would be built, but I'm a little confused about the different parts within it. Would it just have empy apartment and kitchen and retail space used in testing, or would these spaces actually be occupied by people living and working there?

Either case, the research hub is a good idea, and i would luv to see it in Philly!

giamomj
Nov 2, 2007, 7:31 PM
Yes - it's aleady designed and ground will be broken in Spring 2008 at 33rd St. between Market and Chestnut Sts., filling a boring parking lot with a VERY nice, large new structure. Drexel's Planning, Design & Construction Office took down the pic, but it's been plastered around a few publications....very nice indeed. There will be a huge atrium with a green "living wall" of vegetation that will recycle much of the building's air.

Gia

:notacrook: