PDA

View Full Version : Seattle: Smith Tower condo conversion needs one more city approval

seaskyfan
Jul 19, 2007, 2:53 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/324145_smith19.html

Smith Tower condo conversion needs one more city approval

By AUBREY COHEN
P-I REPORTER

Owners of the Smith Tower have one of two key city approvals needed to convert the Pioneer Square landmark from offices into condominiums.

Walton Street Capital, a private real estate investment company based in Chicago, filed an application with the city in February to build 150 homes in Seattle's first skyscraper, which was completed at 506 Second Ave. in 1914. On Monday, city planner Lisa Rutzick approved the plan with several conditions, including that it get a required approval from the Pioneer Square Preservation Board.

The board has not set a date to consider the plan. Rutzick's other conditions include limits on construction hours and a requirement for a plan to handle car, truck and pedestrian traffic during construction.

Walton Street bought the Smith Tower and the adjacent two-story Florence Building from the Samis Foundation for about $48 million in April. The foundation bought the tower a decade earlier for $7.6 million, then spent $28 million on renovations and updates.

The tower rebounded after the dot-com crash, getting up to about 90 percent occupancy last year from 74 percent five years earlier. But two tenants, Providence Health & Services and Disney Internet Services, are pulling out, vacating about 150,000 square feet.

In February, Walton Street operating partner Michael Allmon said the firm was "beginning to explore the opportunity" of converting to condos and would make a decision in four to six months.

Pioneer Square's neighborhood plan, which was last updated in 2003, calls for more housing, particularly private development for middle-income residents, to help revitalize the area.

Black Box
Jul 19, 2007, 5:16 AM
I am so excited about this!

destroybananas
Jul 19, 2007, 5:17 PM
That's one cool place to live now! I'm sure they're going to be pretty expensive. :(

Symi81
Jul 20, 2007, 11:30 PM
It would be sweet to live in the Smith Tower. Too bad the surrounding neighborhood is so unlivable.

Skian
Jul 20, 2007, 11:43 PM
Once Ron Sims cures homelessness (like he said he would), the neighborhood will be as friendly as Mayberry!

mhays
Jul 21, 2007, 12:22 AM
The neighborhood is getting better. A rental mid-rise just opened across the street. A mixed-use building might happen next year a 1.5 blocks south at Occidental. The Alaska Building might become a hotel. The Triad/Foster project just uphill will add more residents and workers. The north stadium parking lot might add 900 housing units -- kind of far, but those people will walk right past on their way to work.

Ex-Ithacan
Jul 26, 2007, 1:05 PM
Hope the Smith Tower and the surrounding area return to their original glory. For many years of my youth, that Tower represented Seattle to me. Love to see it shine again (even though it could get lost in the sea of scrapers ;) )

Aleks
Oct 9, 2007, 5:21 AM
Anybody have any information on this?
It's been a while since we last heard about this proposal.

I think it's a good sign that the area will improve, hopefully these residences will be luxurious which I expect will. Maybe the Ritz should buy this tower, they know how to make things fancy. And they don't have to do exterior work (much) because the Smith Tower is taken care of by Seattle-lites.

arbeiter
Oct 10, 2007, 12:14 AM
Once Ron Sims cures homelessness (like he said he would), the neighborhood will be as friendly as Mayberry!

God, if Belltown is bad, Pioneer Square is worse! Sometimes I wonder if there is a secret Hooverville behind one of the condo buildings.