PDA

View Full Version : "Places Rated Almanac" ranks America's Most Livable Cities (2007)

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 1:00 AM
yeah... I always complain about these lists being lame... but I can't help feeling a cheesy sense of pride when my own city ranks first... plus this gives people a chance to say... "PITTSBURGH!?!?!? What a dump!"

On a personal note... I REALLY like the Top 10... whatever methodology they used seems to really favor cities with fantastic urban environments... also interesting that most of the Top 10 metros are either extremely slow growing or shrinking in population... so I guess Americans don't have the same priorities for "livability" as PlacesRated Almanac...

1. Pittsburgh, PA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Seattle, WA
4. Portland, OR
5. Philadelphia, PA
6. Rochester, NY
7. Washington, DC
8. San Jose - Sunnyvale, CA
9. Boston, MA
10. Madison, WI

379 (and last). Goldsboro, NC

PlacesRated used to be published by Rand McNally... they came out with a new edition every 4 years starting in 1981... this time they're self-published and it's the first ranking since 1999...

"About the Book
Oh, for San Francisco’s ambience, the job market in Las Vegas, for Miami’s winters and the safe streets of St. Paul. What about Salt Lake City skiing and Topeka’s affordable homes? Or, for that matter, Pittsburgh’s Carnegie Museums and Washington’s convenient METRO? If you could snap your fingers and suddenly find yourself living somewhere else, would you?

This 7th (and 25th anniversary) edition of Places Rated Almanac is meant for people thinking of moving as well as for anyone who enjoys learning about cities and towns and what they have to offer.

Every one of America’s 379 metro areas is rated by things that are important to anyone considering a move. Places Rated Almanac has nine main sections:

Ambience compares cultural assets. Diversity, religion, and politics; historic districts; good bookstores; and good restaurants also go into the mix. Quick Takes:

• Most liberal: Yuma, Arizona
• Youngest: Jacksonville, North Carolina
• Most historic: Baltimore, Maryland

Housing reports prices for Starter, Move Up, and Elite houses, property taxes, and utilities. Also considered: Recent price appreciation and typical apartment rents. Quick Takes:

• Slowest home price appreciation: Lafayette, Indiana
• Most expensive Starter home: San Francisco
• Cheapest Elite home: Brownsville, Texas

Jobs reports local unemployment risks and job growth forecasts to the year 2015 in basic industries, especially the higher-paying ones like manufacturing, transportation, communications, and government. Quick Takes:

• Brightest forecast: Austin-Round Rock, Texas
• Blue-collar Blues: Danville, Virginia

Crime reports the average annual number of violent and property crimes per 100,000 people over the past 10 years and whether the trend is upward, downward or unchanged. Quick Takes:

• Dangerous resort: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
• Car theft capital: Fresno, CA

Transportation details commuting time, public transit, and how easy it is to get into and out of each metro area by air, rail, and interstate highway. Quick Takes:

• Shortest commute: Grand Forks, North Dakota
• Busiest International Gateway: LAX Los Angeles

Each metro area's public and private schools, its collection of colleges and universities, and its public libraries produce an Education rating. Quick Takes:

• Highest library use: Portland, Oregon
• Highest % parochial school pupils: Dubuque, Iowa

Health Care counts the supply of accredited hospitals and patient-treating physicians, plus special services like open-heart surgery and sports medicine. Quick Takes:

• Medically specialized metro: Rochester, Minnesota
• Medically generalized metro: Duluth, Minnesota
• Osteopathic metro area: Lansing, Michigan

Recreation also rates assets, from public golf courses and movie theatres, to zoos, professional sports, ocean coastlines, and national parks, forests, and wildlife acreage. Quick Takes:

• Top golf spot: Monroe, Michigan
• Most protected recreation land: Bellingham, WA
• Best metros for zoos: Chicago and San Diego

Climate is rated on mildness, that is, how close temperatures remain to 65° Fahrenheit throughout the year. Brightness and stability also are part of the rating. Quick Takes:

• Highest metro: Santa Fe, New Mexico
• Not for depressives: Bremerton, Washington
• Great summers: Portland, Maine and Oregon

662 pages, multiple maps, index, and a personalized quiz to help you determine the factors most important to you."

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Telephone: 781/986-0732 or Email: sjmiller@bookpr.com

Déjà vu All Over Again?

The 25th Anniversary Edition of Places Rated Almanac Identifies the Best
Metropolitan Area in the United States!

“It’s Pittsburgh again,” sighs David Savageau, editor of the 25th Anniversary Edition of Places Rated Almanac: The Classic Guide for Finding Your Best Places to Live in America. “That’s the best metropolitan area in the United States. I was pulling for New York this time around, but it wasn’t to be. Alas.”

Don’t misunderstand Savageau. He’s fond of Pittsburgh. In 1985, when the almanac ranked it No. 1, the New York Times sent a reporter out to investigate the fuss: “With its breathtaking skyline, its scenic waterfront, its cozily vibrant downtown, its rich mixture of cultural amenities, its warm neighborhoods and its scrubbed-clean skies, it no longer is the smoky, smelly, gritty milltown of yesteryear,” he wrote back.

There are few places in the United States that Savageau — who has produced six editions of Places Rated Almanac before this one — hasn’t enjoyed visiting. “Each city is appealing in its own way. But there’s something special about New York,” he asserts. “It’s packed with polite people, and there’s always something to do there. And New Yorkers’ response to 9/11 was, of course, heroic and set an example for everyone else in the country. I do wish that New York had won the distinction of being the ‘best metropolitan area in the United States.’ But the statistics speak for themselves. Pittsburgh comes in first place, and New York – as well as New York’s fans and supporters — will have to settle for being number 18.” Savageau refuses to manipulate statistics to rig the outcome, but he’s glad to explain how the rating system works. There are 379 officially-defined metropolitan areas. Four out of five of us live in one of them.

Each of those metro areas is rated and ranked on nine factors that influence the quality of a place: ambience, housing, the local economy, transportation, education, health care, crime, recreation, and climate. For example, the “ambience” category includes such factors as good restaurants and bookstores, historic districts, cultural and artistic assets, and “people” features like diversity and politics that contribute to a place’s look and feel. The “transportation” category assesses commuting time, public transit, and how easy it is to get into and out of each metro area by air, rail, and Interstate Highway. When Savageau sifts through all the categories, and all of the rankings, he comes up with his Top 40 metropolitan areas by mean score. The top ten are:

1. Pittsburgh, PA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Seattle, WA
4. Portland, OR
5. Philadelphia, PA
6. Rochester, NY
7. Washington, DC
8. San Jose-Sunnyvale, CA
9. Boston, MA
10. Madison, WI

That ranking system is unique to the Places Rated Almanac. This year’s almanac, like its predecessors, provides what Savageau calls “a snapshot of a moving target.” That is, major areas are dynamic and don’t sit still for statistical portraits. Everyone loved to hate New York – until September 11, 2001. And everyone loved Louisiana and Mississippi – until Hurricane Katrina. “The dynamic nature of the metropolitan areas keeps Places Rated Almanac fresh, year after year,” Savageau explains. “And, since this is the first edition that I’m self-publishing, this might be my personal favorite edition of all. Of course, I’m still hoping that New York earns the number one metropolitan area slot in the future. Who knows? Maybe it will happen in the book’s next edition.”

Places Rated Almanac:
The Classic Guide for Finding Your Best Places to Live in America, 7th Edition
By David Savageau
Places Rated Books LLC/ISBN: 978-0-9793199-07
ISSN: 1526-517X
$24.99
www.placesrated.com "

*cheesy homerism mode on*

Behold the splendour of America's Most Livable City!
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/UrbaniDesDev/3Rivers4.jpg
photo credit: UrbaniDesDev

mhays
Apr 27, 2007, 1:41 AM
Pittsburgh is a cool city and seriously underrated.

But this list is still BS...well, one guy's idea of objective, but questionable a thousand times over. You can look at any one of their criteria (what little they tell you) and pick it apart. Also, you might not like the criteria to begin with.

I still don't mind that Seattle ranked #3.

pj3000
Apr 27, 2007, 1:58 AM
#1 !!

Even though these lists are crap (just like the Steelers last Super Bowl), I'll take it.

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 1:59 AM
#1 !!

Even though these lists are crap (just like the Steelers last Super Bowl), I'll take it.

ha... good analogy... i never felt good about that victory...

btw, NYC is #18... don't know the rankings for any other city between 10 and 379

it would be neat to see where Erie ended up ;)

pj3000
Apr 27, 2007, 2:18 AM
^I would think Erie is probably around 11 or so. :cheers:

M. Brown
Apr 27, 2007, 2:22 AM
I thought pitts was high on crime. What are the crime figures there?

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 2:27 AM
I thought pitts was high on crime. What are the crime figures there?

actually, we're one of the lowest-crime major cities in the US

BnaBreaker
Apr 27, 2007, 3:13 AM
I'm remember looking at these books awhile ago and recall the top ranks being dominated by sunbelt cities. It's encouraging to see them pick more traditional urban cities for once.

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 3:22 AM
I'm remember looking at these books awhile ago and recall the top ranks being dominated by sunbelt cities. It's encouraging to see them pick more traditional urban cities for once.

indeed... 5 Northeast, 4 West Coast, 1 Midwest, 0 Sunbelt... but let's not turn this into a Traditional Urban America vs. Sunbelt thread... I think we're all getting a little sick of those lol

Interestingly, Atlanta did rank 1st in the first edition of this list back in 1981.

1981: Atlanta
1985: Pittsburgh
1989: Seattle
1993: Cincinnati
1996: Orange County
1999: Salt Lake City
2007: Pittsburgh

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 3:29 AM
It's refreshing to see the Northeast dominate one of these lists for a change!

Pittsburgh is indeed one of America's most livable cities. How about Philadelphia coming in #5. Not bad for "Murder City with Trash all over the place"....;) :haha:

Our new state motto should be...SMILE..YOU'RE IN LIVABLE PENNSYLVANIA!

Time to pick up my poms poms...Go Philly! Go Pittsburgh! Yay for Pennsylvania! I'd do a Cartwheel but I fear I would break something....

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 3:31 AM

But this list is still BS...well, one guy's idea of objective, but questionable a thousand times over. You can look at any one of their criteria (what little they tell you) and pick it apart. Also, you might not like the criteria to begin with.

That could be said for any of these lists that come out...

volguus zildrohar
Apr 27, 2007, 3:33 AM
No love for Gwinett County?

Trash.

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 3:36 AM
No love for Gwinett County?

Trash.

:lmao:

VZ...Your sense of humor kills me sometimes!

BnaBreaker
Apr 27, 2007, 3:40 AM

True, but at least they actually have criteria and some kind of a process. lol

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 4:39 AM
well, the local newspaper is tickled pink... this isn't without truth though... the smokey city image of Pittsburgh still endures for so many people... the collective perception of the place seems to be a mix of the worst of 1920s Pittsburgh (smoke, hellhole, etc.) with the worst of present-day Pittsburgh (population decline, exaggerations of economic collapse, etc.)...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07117/781412-192.stm

Someplace special: Let's drive a stake through the smoky-city myth

Friday, April 27, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When "Places Rated Almanac" ranked Pittsburgh as America's most livable city in 1985, it was a tonic to people reeling from the grim retrenchments in a steel industry that had given the region its identity. At the same time, it confirmed that the Steel City persona was giving way to a new reality.

It was big news back then -- and shocking, especially to those who lived elsewhere. It seemed inconceivable to some outlanders that what they viewed as a smoky, rust-belt relic could be tapped as the most desirable place to live. Local residents knew the truth about Pittsburgh's strengths, of course, but the disrespect at large fed an inferiority complex at home.

This week the almanac, no longer published by Rand-McNally but still respected, gave a fresh boost to civic morale by ranking Pittsburgh No. 1 once more, ahead of such shining cities as San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and Philadelphia (the rest of the top five). That's excellent company.

While this recognition remains big news, it's not as thundering as it once was. That's not because the Pittsburgh area is in the pink -- that can't be said with two financial oversight boards in the city and a population loss in the region outstripped only by hurricane-ravaged New Orleans. But at least the great fear of the future experienced after Big Steel's collapse is no longer felt as keenly in a re-invented place. This, after all, is a region where three pro sports teams were saved by building new facilities; where arts, libraries and recreation are supported with a regional-assets tax; and where county government has begun to reform itself.

This rating isn't as shocking now because, in a way, it is validation. Although Pittsburgh's ranking has fluctuated over the years, it is the only city to finish in the top 20 in seven editions of the almanac. Plus, other top ratings regularly come this way. This week, for instance, a readers poll in American Style Magazine placed Pittsburgh first in the mid-sized cities category for destinations favored by art lovers. Last month, a study rated Pittsburgh No. 1 for baby boomer love, apparently a case of livability affecting libido.

Still, the "Places Rated Almanac" is a much bigger deal and should be seized upon by local marketing officials because, despite the stream of good publicity in recent years, the smoky-city image hangs around like a foul odor. This new ranking should be a stake to drive through that old monster's heart.

There's another opportunity to be found in contemplating how Pittsburgh became No. 1 in the almanac. The 379 metropolitan areas are surveyed in nine categories: housing affordability (cost of living). transportation, jobs, education, climate, crime, health care, recreation and ambience.

The amazing thing is that Pittsburgh did not finish in the top 20 in any category. It was 21st in recreation, 29th in education, 111th in housing and 135th in climate, for example, but the sum of these parts added up. The lesson is that if it wants to keep being No. 1, it should be alarmed whenever its individual strengths -- say, public transit -- are whittled away.

Sulley
Apr 27, 2007, 4:56 AM
OMG this list is seriously flawed! THE ATLANTA BIRMINGHAM MEMPHIS NASHVILLE CHARLOTTE RALEIGHOPOLIS ISNT #1!!!!!!1!1!!!!11!1

These are pure junk... nothing more.

(plays right into PN's fantasies...)

Derek
Apr 27, 2007, 4:58 AM
So now there is like 8 most livable cities in the US?

holladay
Apr 27, 2007, 5:06 AM
Poor old Goldsboro in last place... that town does suck but i still feel bad for it.

Nah, it's not really that bad. Just dried up and slow.

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 5:10 AM
well at least Goldsboro is going to get a lot more publicity than whoever landed in 378th place...

holladay
Apr 27, 2007, 5:33 AM
so any pub is good pub, even if you're dead last??

holladay
Apr 27, 2007, 5:33 AM
in this case id say #378 is lucky

Omaharocks
Apr 27, 2007, 5:36 AM
By the time I move to Boston this fall, I will have lived in 3 of the top 10 on this list....I do happen to like most these cities - about 7 of them would likely make my list of favorite 15 cities.

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 12:57 PM
OMG this list is seriously flawed! THE ATLANTA BIRMINGHAM MEMPHIS NASHVILLE CHARLOTTE RALEIGHOPOLIS ISNT #1!!!!!!1!1!!!!11!1

These are pure junk... nothing more.

(plays right into PN's fantasies...)

I bet seeing Rochester up there got your goat! :haha: They probably got that ranking just for giving the world the Wonderful World of Wegmans!

rockyi
Apr 27, 2007, 1:05 PM
... don't know the rankings for any other city between 10 and 379

it would be neat to see where Erie ended up ;)

I'd like to see how low the Quad Cities placed this year. We were dead last on a few of the "Forbes" best/worst cities lists back in the 90's.

Urban Zombie
Apr 27, 2007, 1:17 PM
indeed... 5 Northeast, 4 West Coast, 1 Midwest, 0 Sunbelt... but let's not turn this into a Traditional Urban America vs. Sunbelt thread... I think we're all getting a little sick of those lol

Interestingly, Atlanta did rank 1st in the first edition of this list back in 1981.

1981: Atlanta
1985: Pittsburgh
1989: Seattle
1993: Cincinnati
1996: Orange County
1999: Salt Lake City
2007: Pittsburgh

Strange how Pitts has headed the list a few times, but still has such a bad rep throughout the country. Ah, to be an American is to be a walking contradiction I guess.

Anyway, this list is frakin' bullschidtt!! Where the hell are Flint, MI, Ebola, FL and Springfield, USA?!!! Total Shite!

sprtsluvr8
Apr 27, 2007, 4:12 PM

I'm sure you're not saying that sunbelt cities are not urban...heaven forbid you would make such a comment.

BnaBreaker
Apr 27, 2007, 5:00 PM
I'm sure you're not saying that sunbelt cities are not urban...heaven forbid you would make such a comment.

Ugh. No, that is not what I was implying. Stop being so sensitive about everything homie! I swear, I have no problem with you or the south. It is my home afterall. Just be easy.

holladay
Apr 27, 2007, 6:46 PM
[QUOTE=AntonAusTirol;2799097] Where the hell are Flint, MI, Ebola, FL and Springfield, USA?!!! QUOTE]

Ebola, Fl... now there's a town with a name that's hard to beat

Alliance
Apr 27, 2007, 7:36 PM
How does one define "livable"

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 8:29 PM
I just realized that every city in the top is on the northern tier of both coasts and the Midwest...which is wierd since climate is one of the factors and most of these cities do not have the supposed ideal climate found in the Sunbelt.

Grumpy
Apr 27, 2007, 8:38 PM
I have been waiting ages to see this posted , thank you !

skylife
Apr 27, 2007, 8:41 PM
I just realized that every city in the top is on the northern tier of both coasts and the Midwest...which is wierd since climate is one of the factors and most of these cities do not have the supposed ideal climate found in the Sunbelt.

I could never stand anything hotter than here.

nobody
Apr 27, 2007, 8:53 PM
As someone who as lived in 3 of the top 10 I can say without hesitation:

What the balls at Rochester? Seriously? I went to highschool in a Rochester suburb and my trips into the city were generally the opposite of pleasant. Wowsers.

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 9:05 PM
As someone who as lived in 3 of the top 10 I can say without hesitation:

What the balls at Rochester? Seriously? I went to highschool in a Rochester suburb and my trips into the city were generally the opposite of pleasant. Wowsers.

Wegmans! :yes:

AaronPGH
Apr 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
Wegmans! :yes:

I do not have the pleasure of this. :( So close....yet so far.

Evergrey
Apr 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
I do not have the pleasure of this. :( So close....yet so far.

Wegmans is almost exactly the same as the Giant Eagle Market District in Shadyside... so while Wegmans is fabulous... you're not missing out.

shovel_ready
Apr 28, 2007, 3:57 AM
Wegmans is almost exactly the same as the Giant Eagle Market District in Shadyside... so while Wegmans is fabulous... you're not missing out.

Weggies is certainly fabulous!

Have you ever been to a Wegmans ....... in BUFFALO?

Evergrey
Apr 28, 2007, 4:04 AM
Weggies is certainly fabulous!

Have you ever been to a Wegmans ....... in BUFFALO?

No... I've only been to the Wegmans in State College, PA... it even had a miniature train that traveled around the store... is there something special about Wegmans stores in BUFFALO?

dktshb
Apr 28, 2007, 6:39 AM
So in 1996 Orange County was #1 as America's most livable city? :haha:

Tombstoner
Apr 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
I've lived in a lotta cities, and yep, Pittsburgh's the best. Hands down.

AZheat
Apr 28, 2007, 2:58 PM
I have quite a few of these Places Rated Almanacs from past years and they have alot more credibility than some of these magazine lists. They have a few major categories like climate, crime, housing, cost of living, arts and recreations, etc. and each one of the categories gets an individual rating for every city. Then finally everything is tallied together and you get a list of winners. If certain things are more important to you then you can research your cities of interest with more emphasis on your particular needs. For me, climate and housing costs are very important. I also think their choice for the best ratings is a good one. Pittsburgh is a great town and I've always felt it was underrated. Anyway, I highly recommend these books because they really get into statistics and details to back up their choices.

Sulley
Apr 28, 2007, 3:20 PM
No... I've only been to the Wegmans in State College, PA... it even had a miniature train that traveled around the store... is there something special about Wegmans stores in BUFFALO?

Of course. I shop at them.

Buckeye Native 001
Apr 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
So in 1996 Orange County was #1 as America's most livable city? :haha:

Yeah, I mean I live here and I did a double-take when I saw that. :sly:

JManc
Apr 29, 2007, 3:15 AM
yeah...a big WTF at rochester being up there.

PhillyRising
Apr 29, 2007, 5:04 PM
yeah...a big WTF at rochester being up there.

Easy...it scored well enough in every category (ok..mayb enot for climate) to add up to a top 10 score. Pittsburgh didn't rank higher than 21 in any of the categories and it finished in 1st.

I guess this list is bullshit to many cos the vaunted Sunbelt got shut out.

JManc
Apr 29, 2007, 7:36 PM
Easy...it scored well enough in every category (ok..mayb enot for climate) to add up to a top 10 score. Pittsburgh didn't rank higher than 21 in any of the categories and it finished in 1st.

I guess this list is bullshit to many cos the vaunted Sunbelt got shut out.

pittsburgh makes sense but rochester is a different story. it's a pretty city but it doesn't have the most stable economy and it gets dumped on every winter.

PhillyRising
Apr 30, 2007, 2:37 PM
pittsburgh makes sense but rochester is a different story. it's a pretty city but it doesn't have the most stable economy and it gets dumped on every winter.

I guess you should buy the book and see why and how they did so well. I know Philly scored low on crime...probably middle of the road on housing affordability, jobs and climate. Philly probably ranked high on education because of the numerous local colleges...recreation, health care and transportation to get it's #5 ranking.

Antares41
May 1, 2007, 3:12 PM
Hooray! for Pittsburgh, I had the pleasure of living there from 1985 to 1994 and it is indeed very livable and IMO deserving of it ranking. But, the fact is that the criteria regarding job growth/economy trumps all other criteria in terms of Pgh steming it population decline. Until that issue rights itself it ranking remains a fascinating curosity! but unfortunately, as being vote most livable in 1985 has proven, not necessarily a bankable one. Still I love the place.