PDA

View Full Version : North American Cities of the Future, 2007/2008

KB0679
Apr 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
On April 23, 2007 the results of nine months of independent market research work by fDi - Foreign Direct Investment magazine - were announced as the 2007 North American Cities of the Future (http://www.gdi-solutions.com/news/pr_fdi_042307.htm) selections are published in the April issue.

There were nominations from 108 cities of all sizes from the United States, Canada, and Mexico for this very competitive business location benchmarking and "short list" selection process.

2007/2008 fDi North American Cities of the Future

Major cities : over 2 million population

Chicago
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Guadalajara
Baltimore
Montreal
Mexico City
Boston
Miami

Large cities : 500,000 - 2 million

Juarez, Mexico
El Paso, Texas
Columbus, Ohio
Edmonton, Alberta
Charlotte, North Carolina
Santiago de Queretaro, Mexico
Austin, Texas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
Toledo, Ohio

Small cities : 100,000 - 500,000

Windsor, Ontario
Huntsville, Alabama
Albany, New York
London, Ontario
Waterloo, Ontario
Colima, Mexico
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Mobile, Alabama
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

austin356
Apr 26, 2007, 11:00 PM
2 Alabama cities...... We stupid rednecks might not be doing to shabby.

mhays
Apr 26, 2007, 11:02 PM
So Philly is in the second size group? Are these people morons or was that a typing error?

alleystreetindustry
Apr 26, 2007, 11:04 PM
my money is on..
1.) toronto
2.) atlanta
3.) charlotte
and 4.) austin

vertex
Apr 26, 2007, 11:08 PM
Err... I think about 180,000 threads regarding this topic have been posted in the last 3 days...:slob:

holladay
Apr 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't put one scrap of faith in these lists. Every agency publishes completely different results. It depends what spin they want to put on it. I don't know I let myself get sucked into reading them every time.

MonkeyRonin
Apr 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
Lists suck. (unless of course they have your city in a high position, such as this one - in which case, they are awesome)

jeicow
Apr 27, 2007, 12:11 AM
It's good to see Waterloo on the list. With the big tech boom, and the efforts by the UWaterloo to expand the research and technology park there, I have a feeling it will rival Ottawa for the title of Silicon North. The Google expansion there will hopefully show its power as a home for multinational corporations. I’m semi-surprised to see London on there though. Most of the expanding business there all seems to be related to Western (especially in the Heath/biomedical sector).

Shasta
Apr 27, 2007, 12:13 AM
Since when have Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, or Baltimore have more than 2 million inhabitants?

Apparently, this is talking about metro areas. So, in that case, when did Philly lose 3 million people?

Third point,,,El Paso and Juarez are literally across a "river" that a squirrel could cross without getting his/her head wet. Are we back to just cities again?

Color me confused.

Derek
Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 AM
edit sorry

Chicago2020
Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 AM
Where's Phoenix

Derek
Apr 27, 2007, 12:40 AM
Since when have Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, or Baltimore have more than 2 million inhabitants?

Apparently, this is talking about metro areas. So, in that case, when did Philly lose 3 million people?

Third point,,,El Paso and Juarez are literally across a "river" that a squirrel could cross without getting his/her head wet. Are we back to just cities again?

Color me confused.

I literally thought this same exact thing.

Modern Design
Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
"Chicago
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Guadalajara
Baltimore
Montreal
Mexico City
Boston
Miami
" very very super mega lame!!!!!where is dallas, seattle, san diego, phoenix...Pittsburgh??:yuck:

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 12:49 AM
awesome... I can't wait til my city looks like this

http://www.space-art.de/images/space-art/2/sp2_city_big.jpg

Evergrey
Apr 27, 2007, 12:50 AM
"Chicago
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Guadalajara
Baltimore
Montreal
Mexico City
Boston
Miami
" very very super mega lame!!!!!where is dallas, seattle, san diego, phoenix...Pittsburgh??:yuck:

Sorry my city offends you.

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/coburn/coburn_pittsburgh.jpg

bryson662001
Apr 27, 2007, 1:39 AM
Of all the "lists" we have ever had in this forum......this one has to be the most bizarre, ridiculous, peculiar, absurd, nonsense ever seen.

PhillyRising
Apr 27, 2007, 3:40 AM
So Philly is in the second size group? Are these people morons or was that a typing error?

Well..I guess they assume that the rate the bodies are piling up here in 'Murder City", that we'll be down that low by then! ;) :D

BnaBreaker
Apr 27, 2007, 3:52 AM
El Paso huh :haha:

volguus zildrohar
Apr 27, 2007, 4:09 AM
It would appear the constant murders have finally caught up to us.

atl2phx
Apr 27, 2007, 4:19 AM
Lists suck. (unless of course they have your city in a high position, such as this one - in which case, they are awesome)

:previous: HA! that wraps it up beautifully, well said!

Top Of The Park
Apr 27, 2007, 5:28 AM
...so absurd

shovel_ready
Apr 27, 2007, 5:37 AM
Toronto, Portland, Vancouver, Chicago, just to name a few...

Oh yeah and these lists are nothing but bullshit that more reflects an arbitrary laundry list if whatever crap can be drawn from a pile of decontextualized statistics.

BTinSF
Apr 27, 2007, 5:58 AM
Where's whatever? You can come up with any ranking you want depending on what criteria you use. These business publications (in this case, I gather, the Financial Times) all look for "business friendliness" meaning low regulation, low taxes and some entrepreneurial criteria. Often they also give points for low cost of living (because that helps attract workers). But many of these criteria result in cities like my own SF, but also LA, New York and so on rating low, in spite of the fact that they have proven business track records and are still pretty much kicking butt. So be it. We'll see who is successful as the future becomes the present.

DBR96A
Apr 27, 2007, 6:40 AM
It seems like all the U.S. cities were measured by their metros except for Philadelphia. When they listed the top "large" cities (as opposed to "major"), they listed "Philadelphia City." Maybe they only analyzed the city in Philadelphia's case, as opposed to the whole metro. Either way, that seems a bit peculiar.

JEH-NYC
Apr 27, 2007, 12:35 PM
"The future will be better tomorrow."
- Dan Quayle

sprtsluvr8
Apr 27, 2007, 2:44 PM
El Paso huh :haha:

Do you always have a condescending remark for "lesser" cities than your own? Every time there is a list of Best Cities for Whatever, you pick out a city or two and laugh about them. Chicago is a fine city and I love it...but I don't love its residents looking down their signficant noses at other cities, cities that may be smaller in size and ego, but just as good or better than Chicago. Not everyone is a size-queen...

skylife
Apr 27, 2007, 2:50 PM
very very super mega lame!!!!!where is dallas, seattle, san diego, phoenix...Pittsburgh??:yuck:

Pittsburgh is a very underrated city, and anybody who knows and appreciates cities understands that. I would MUCH rather live in Pittsburgh than Phoenix!

Alliance
Apr 27, 2007, 2:53 PM
Juarez, Mexico ??? Must have changed a A LOT since I was there last.

Marcu
Apr 27, 2007, 5:16 PM
Chicago metro is high up because Lake County (suburbs) has some of the biggest and fastest biomed and biotech companies in the world, including Abbott, Baxter, Takeda.

JManc
Apr 29, 2007, 3:24 AM
this list is just inconsistent. pittsburgh) is in the top tier while (philadelphia is on the second teir. :laugh:

HoosierGuy317
Apr 29, 2007, 3:29 AM

Killadelphia has 1.4 million people.

Modern Design
Apr 29, 2007, 3:50 AM
Pittsburgh is a very underrated city, and anybody who knows and appreciates cities understands that. I would MUCH rather live in Pittsburgh than Phoenix!

I don´t deslike pittisburgh....i just think it isn´t a "north american cities of the future".:tup:

Rail Claimore
Apr 29, 2007, 7:12 AM
How about that, my current city of residence and my hometown both at or near the top of their respective lists. ;)

liat91
Apr 29, 2007, 6:02 PM
Isn't Juarez Mexico where there is a huge drug gang war going on and
decapitated bodies are being found around the city often. City of the future huh?:jester:

Capsule F
Apr 29, 2007, 9:14 PM
Killadelphia has 1.4 million people.

Yeah and baltimore has 500k, pitssburg has 300k.

bnk
Apr 29, 2007, 11:19 PM
my money is on..
1.) toronto
2.) atlanta
3.) charlotte
and 4.) austin

Um you forgot number 1 Chicago, unless you like losing money.

Chicago was chosen based on more than 60 criteria including everything from cost effectiveness to human resources to infrastructure. An independent panel of experts looked at data submitted by each individual city, and Chicago ranks number one overall in its category of "major cities" (cities with populations greater than 2 million people) in the publication, which is distributed worldwide.

Scores were given to each city based on seven selection factors. Chicago was the only city (in any size range) to rank in the top five of all seven selection factors:
# 1 - Best Economic Potential
# 1 - Best Infrastructure
# 1 - Best Development and Investment Promotion
# 2 - Most Cost Effective
# 3 - Best Human Resources
# 3 - Best Quality of Life
# 5 - Most Business Friendly

"Chicago has the most diversified economy in the country," said Mayor Richard M. Daley. "The combination of this and our tremendous talent pool, dynamic quality of life and unmatched infrastructure have made us a truly global competitor."

"No other city has dominated any of these benchmarking exercises anywhere around the globe in the way Chicago has in the Major city category," said David East, Publisher, fDi - Foreign Direct Investment.

fDi Magazine researches and awards the honor every other year. Chicago was also awarded "City of the Future" in 2005, when there were separate award categories for the USA, Canada and Mexico. This year, being grouped together, Chicago takes the honor for the whole region, making the title more competitive. Additionally, this year fDi Magazine reported twice the number of applicants as in 2005.

Top Of The Park
Apr 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
it doesn't even include San Francisco and Seattle which literally capture every element on the list.....What the F****:frog:

bnk
Apr 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
Of all the "lists" we have ever had in this forum......this one has to be the most bizarre, ridiculous, peculiar, absurd, nonsense ever seen.

it doesn't even include San Francisco and Seattle which literally capture every element on the list.....What the F****:frog:

For further information/complaints about the rankings please contact charles.piggott@ft.com

Courtney Fingar
Editor
Foreign Direct Investment
www.fdimagazine.com

TEL +44(0) 207 775 6365 (From the USA, dial as 011-44-207-775-6365)

FT Business - The Financial Times group

One Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HL

alleystreetindustry
Apr 30, 2007, 12:02 AM

Chicago was chosen based on more than 60 criteria including everything from cost effectiveness to human resources to infrastructure. An independent panel of experts looked at data submitted by each individual city, and Chicago ranks number one overall in its category of "major cities" (cities with populations greater than 2 million people) in the publication, which is distributed worldwide.

Scores were given to each city based on seven selection factors. Chicago was the only city (in any size range) to rank in the top five of all seven selection factors:

"Chicago has the most diversified economy in the country," said Mayor Richard M. Daley. "The combination of this and our tremendous talent pool, dynamic quality of life and unmatched infrastructure have made us a truly global competitor."

"No other city has dominated any of these benchmarking exercises anywhere around the globe in the way Chicago has in the Major city category," said David East, Publisher, fDi - Foreign Direct Investment.

fDi Magazine researches and awards the honor every other year. Chicago was also awarded "City of the Future" in 2005, when there were separate award categories for the USA, Canada and Mexico. This year, being grouped together, Chicago takes the honor for the whole region, making the title more competitive. Additionally, this year fDi Magazine reported twice the number of applicants as in 2005.

um..not so much. the ones i chose would be on the list in no order for the base that they are growing like crazy while chicago is....chicago. everyone knows chicago, there is no need to put up all of these facts to support your cause. i was just stating an idea for anybody who cared.

of all of those big cities, i feel san francisco is the best. but that is in my opinon. i love chicago also. you can check this out if you want. major cities in the u.s. based on environmental and quality of life criteria. this is my central book for cities, too bad mine is later in the rankings.

http://www.sustainlane.us/overview.jsp

mhays
Apr 30, 2007, 1:06 AM

We're cities of today.

nath05
Apr 30, 2007, 1:33 AM
hmmm, I grew up in el paso and I'll let you know that if the future is as dusty, hot, obese, sprawling, and auto-centric as that, you can shoot me now.

And Juarez? Seriously? So the future is going to be full of 17 year old high school kids getting wasted in seedy bars? Sweet I guess:shrug:

Marcu
Apr 30, 2007, 1:37 AM

How does SF capture the elements of cost effectiveness and business friendliness? We're talking about a city that banned the use of plastic shopping bags...

As far as quality of life, I'm usually skeptical of any such measurements since they're completely subjective.

Master Shake
Apr 30, 2007, 2:34 AM

Amazing, when will the Mainstream Media start recognizing this?

bnk
Apr 30, 2007, 4:13 AM
um..not so much. the ones i chose would be on the list in no order for the base that they are growing like crazy while chicago is....chicago. everyone knows chicago, there is no need to put up all of these facts to support your cause. i was just stating an idea for anybody who cared.

of all of those big cities, i feel san francisco is the best. but that is in my opinon. i love chicago also. you can check this out if you want. major cities in the u.s. based on environmental and quality of life criteria. this is my central book for cities, too bad mine is later in the rankings.

http://www.sustainlane.us/overview.jsp

I did check it out and that was a fine link. But I also saw a locked thread started by you that stated "mass immigration from north to south. what is you opinion of the activities?" also.

FYI

^^

I have been following site selection magazine for about 5 years now. I was expecting Chicago Metro to top out again. Top Metros are published in the March issue every year.

Check out some of the past titles.

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2006/mar/p176/

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2004/mar/p181/

2004 was a good article. Like the title says... Chicago Dominance
More Than Mythical

Chicago is No. 1 in manufacturing, registering $59 billion in regional manufacturing output.
• Chicago is No. 1 in high-tech employment (347,100 workers).
• Chicago is the No. 1 city for air travel.

I know Atlanta Hartfeld is busier than O'Hare but not if you include the other regional airports! bnk

• Chicago is the No. 1 distribution center market, including No. 1 rankings in truck, intermodal, rail and air transport.
• Chicago is No. 1 in business professional services, experiencing 82 percent growth in employment in this sector from 1990 to 2000.
• While Chicago is the third largest metro area in the country in population, with 8.27 million people, it has the second largest work force, at 4.23 million.
• Chicago is second in the nation in research and development and testing labs employment.
• Chicago is third in communications equipment manufacturing employment.
• Chicago is third in measuring and control instruments manufacturing employment.
• Chicago was named one of the five best U.S. cities for real estate investment by the Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate.
• Chicago's $349-billion economy is larger than Switzerland, Russia or Michigan.
• Chicago is home to 30 Fortune 500 company headquarters and 107 total corporate headquarters, second only to New York.

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2003/mar/p168/

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2002/mar/p162/

Not bad coming from an Atlanta based magazine.

This stuff is not propaganda, this stuff is real.

see also

http://www.siteselection.com/

'Freaking Awesome' City
Tops All U.S. Metro Areas

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2007/mar/topMetros/images/pg195a.jpg

JUST HANGIN' OUT: Kudo Tsunado may be the vice president and general manager of EA Sports' regional headquarters in Chicago, but he's just like everyone else when it comes to enjoying all the amenities that downtown Chicago has to offer. Tsunado said the Windy City's vibrant pace and abundance of young talent led him and the other members of his executive team to select Chicago over such competing locations as Austin, Texas.

by RON STARNER
ron.starner bounce@conway.com

Chicago lures young, high- tech talent on the way to becoming the No. 1 metro in America in 2006.

Ask Kudo Tsunoda to explain why EA Sports selected Chicago for a new regional headquarters, and the executive at the global video game giant speaks in frank business terms: "The city is freaking awesome. It has such a vibe and pace to it."

At Electronic Arts, the world leader in electronic sports games, talk like that is part of everyday life in the business world – and Chicago's economic developers hope to hear a lot more of it.
By landing EA Sports' US$6 million, 200- job regional headquarters at 215 West Ohio in Chicago's River North neighborhood, the Windy City capped a remarkable year that saw the metro area secure 165 corporate facility projects totaling more than $5 billion in capital investment, according to the criteria established by the Conway Data New Plant database.

The Chicago- Naperville- Joliet area (including suburbs in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin) easily outdistanced No. 2 Washington, D.C.- Northern Virginia, which had 110 projects, and No. 3 Atlanta, which had 107.

Chicago's victory made it two years in a row and five of the last six for the MSA with more than 9.5 million residents and a work force of over 4.5 million.

Rounding out the top 10 metros of 2006 were No. 4 Dallas- Fort Worth, followed by the metro areas of Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston, Charlotte, Indianapolis and Nashville.
While Phoenix did not make the top 10 in projects, the Arizona MSA placed second in capital investment, at $3.365 billion. St. Louis came in third with $2.315 billion.
Governor's Cup victor Ohio claimed the most Top Metros in 2006, with nine, followed by Virginia and Florida with eight each; New York, Alabama, Pennsylvania and Texas with seven each; and Indiana with six.

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2007/mar/topMetros/images/pg196a.gif

Tsunoda, vice president and general manager of the Chicago office of EA Sports and producer of the new Def Jam: Icon video game, tells Site Selection that his executive team selected Chicago because the city stimulates creative minds and enables EA to effectively recruit top young talent.
"Chicago is filled with cool neighborhoods," says Tsunoda, who grew up in New York City. "There's something for any kind of lifestyle you're looking to live."
Tsunoda says the selection of the seven- story, loft- like headquarters between the freeway and Michigan Avenue was the result of a collaborative process. Tsunoda and his team scoured the central U.S. looking for a vibrant, high- tech city that provides the quality of life EA needs to recruit top- end software designers, game developers, graphic artists and computer engineers.
These are the people who make the popular Madden NFL, NBA Live, Fight Night, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, NCAA March Madness and other sports video games that rank among the top- selling games in the world.

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2007/mar/topMetros/images/pg198c.jpg

The recently renovated 600 West anchors Chicago's thriving new business hub in River North, located just minutes from traditional business centers in Chicago's downtown and Loop.

EA also owns the licensing rights to make games for NASCAR, the National Hockey League and FIFA, the international governing body for soccer.
"We looked at Austin, Texas, but it is hard to find a city that stacks up with Chicago," Tsunoda says. "I can walk from my office and see something cool just about anywhere I go. Chicago has a really good video game community already here. It is active, thriving and growing."
The new EA complex, which opened in late October 2006, is designed as a "pure game development studio," adds Tsunoda. "Eventually, we will add other publishing functions, marketing and public relations support for getting the games to market. This building will hold around 300 people, so we have plenty of room to grow."
Staubach Realty represented EA, "and they were extremely helpful in finding the locations and working through things with the city and the building," Tsunoda says. "Chicago is cutting- edge and has been very supportive of our relocation from Hoffman Estates. Both the city and the state of Illinois were very helpful in bringing us here. The hope is to make Chicago a long- term home and make it one of the premier studios within the EA world."
Paul O'Connor, executive director of World Business Chicago, calls EA Sports "a critical piece. Chicago historically has been a town of radical economic change. We had been manufacturing based, but the shift in our economy had been toward white- collar jobs and professional business services. The lagging piece was the engagement of the technology sector. To see that piece kicking in strongly, combined with our professional talent pool, means the Chicago economy can play with anybody and adapt in the global economy."
The Chicago building boom won't subside anytime soon, O'Connor says. "This city is really on fire. It is rocking and rolling. Mayor Richard Daley's transformation of the neighborhoods is making these areas a great place to live and raise a family, and that in turn has created the highest- end talent pool that is clustered within three or four miles of downtown."

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2007/mar/topMetros/images/pg205a.jpg

Corporate Attraction a
Full Contact Sport

Other major projects of the past year include United Airlines and The Big Ten Network. United invested $72 million to establish its new corporate headquarters at 77 West Wacker Drive.
Stating that "it's time to fly," United Airlines Chairman, President and CEO Glenn Tilton in July ended months of speculation by declaring downtown Chicago as the permanent world headquarters of "our hometown airline."
United had been headquartered in Elk Grove Township since 1961, but competing offers had come in from Denver and San Francisco. In the end, United decided to stay home and become part of Chicago's central city renaissance. United will consolidate several of its suburban facilities and create an operations center on its campus in Elk Grove Township. Those who support day- to- day operations now will be together in one location.
"Chicago has everything a world- class corporate headquarters could ever want – the best and the brightest people, the ability to travel virtually anywhere and a great quality of life,"
said Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich.
United will receive $5.25 million in tax increment financing from the city of Chicago and $1.35 million in grants from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity for infrastructure improvements and job training. Additionally, both the city and the state will propose legislation to cap the jet fuel tax for the next five years.
The chase for The Big Ten Network, ironically, was a preview of the Super Bowl, pitting Chicago against Indianapolis for the right to win a $23.5- million capital investment and 136 jobs.
After intense competition worthy of Roman numerals, the network announced it would locate its studios and offices in a 44,000- sq.- ft. (4,088- sq.- m.) complex at 600 West Chicago, formerly the Montgomery Ward & Co. Catalog House. The site was designated a national landmark in 2000.
"It is fitting that The Big Ten Network, a channel dedicated exclusively to collegiate athletics and university life, will make its home in Chicago, a city that is so passionate about college sports and education," said Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delaney.
O'Connor said it didn't hurt that a "very dense population of Ohio State graduates lives right here in Chicago."

Fresh off that sports win, Chicago has its sights set on landing an even bigger prize: hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. By mid- April, the United States Olympic Committee will decide which of two American cities – Chicago or Los Angeles – will be submitted to the International Olympic Committee for the IOC's final decision in 2009.

"You have to guarantee $25 million from local businesses just to cover the cost of bidding to the IOC," says O'Connor. "But if you believe in yourselves and your city, you do it."

Conway Data, Inc. Global Headquarters
6625 The Corners Parkway, Suite 200
Norcross, GA 30092-2901 USA
Tel. 770-446-6996
Fax 770-263-8825

I just love throwing out facts. :) bnk

see also

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070301005129&newsLang=en

BTW good post Mastershake.

Plain and simple, Chicago is a juggernaut. The City has been experiencing an unpredented boom for over ten years now, and with the Olympics lined up, well its just scary. Chicago is going through a metamorphisis, no other established American City is going through this level of change. As the article points out, Daley gets it done, probably for the better, but maybe not as democratically as possible. No other mature City is experiencing Chicago's level of development, and the Olympics will only fuel that fire.

firstcranialnerve
Apr 30, 2007, 6:57 AM
Where's whatever? You can come up with any ranking you want depending on what criteria you use. These business publications (in this case, I gather, the Financial Times) all look for "business friendliness" meaning low regulation, low taxes and some entrepreneurial criteria. Often they also give points for low cost of living (because that helps attract workers). But many of these criteria result in cities like my own SF, but also LA, New York and so on rating low, in spite of the fact that they have proven business track records and are still pretty much kicking butt. So be it. We'll see who is successful as the future becomes the present.

Ughh, we're talking cities of the FUTURE. If you visited and got a feel for Chicago, you would understand the huge FUTURE potential of the place in comparison to the GREATNESS that IS nyc,sf, la etc. This may be semantics, but I think people are missing the point. Places with super expensive real-estate, high density and low opportunities for massive FUTURE urban development and growth, won't do so hot on this list. Yes, I'm a Chicagoan, but let me say that being here, I see huge potential. Real estate prices in the city are extremely good value compared to the 3 cities you mentioned. There are TONS of empty lots amongst the skyscrapers for further development. There are HUGE plans on the horizon as far as development is concerned. I would direct you to the development boom rundown on the city compilations page, you will be amazed.

Financially, there is the big CBOT CME merger on the horizon and other big businesses have been moving their hq here. For example Boeing recently moved here. The street life in some parts of the city rivals anywhere on earth, whereas others parts of the city are undergoing gentrifications and changes that are improving the street-life after the exodus that took place 20 years ago.

Marcu
Apr 30, 2007, 4:56 PM
Chicago's $349-billion economy is larger than Switzerland, Russia or Michigan.

Russia's GDP is $733 billion. Switzerland's is $386 billion. This kind of analysis is ridiculous anyway since it doesn't account for population.

DenverCrow
Apr 30, 2007, 5:11 PM
Also, Chicago has one of the highest move-out rates. I like it there, but I wouldn't live there, it's just not a real friendly city for an entrepreneur, after my research.

skylife
Apr 30, 2007, 6:14 PM
How does SF capture the elements of cost effectiveness and business friendliness? We're talking about a city that banned the use of plastic shopping bags...

good on 'em for that. bring your own bag. it's not that hard.

Mr Roboto
Apr 30, 2007, 8:16 PM
I smell chi-haters... j/k.

Nice honor and all, but how can people put that much stock into it. Predicting the future is not a new phenomenon, and if it was accurate, what would be the point of living? Besides, most of these 'studies' should be taken with a big spoon of salt.

DenverCrow
Apr 30, 2007, 8:23 PM
I smell chi-haters... j/k.

Nice honor and all, but how can people put that much stock into it. Predicting the future is not a new phenomenon, and if it was accurate, what would be the point of living? Besides, most of these 'studies' should be taken with a big spoon of salt.
This is all just loose speculation, based on a bunch of "maybes". It'd be best if the whole US just started developing nicely. That benefits everyone.

skyscraper
Apr 30, 2007, 8:42 PM
this list is bullshit.
there are no experts on the future.

MolsonExport
Apr 30, 2007, 8:43 PM
No Vancouver? No NYC? No Calgary? Chatham-Kent and Toledo are "cities of the future??"

Sorry, but this list is just:
http://music-islands.com/blog/image_3/sdr10_400.jpg

Marcu
May 1, 2007, 1:13 AM
No Vancouver? No NYC? No Calgary? Chatham-Kent and Toledo are "cities of the future??"

I think we're missing the point. NYC is anything but a city of the future. It's a city of the present. This isn't a 'great cities' list. People seem to be taking this way to personally. If my city is not on here, the list must be bs.

phillyskyline
May 1, 2007, 2:22 AM
this list is bullshit.
there are no experts on the future.

Agreed! :sly:

KB0679
May 1, 2007, 2:41 AM
Some of the cities you guys mention are on the list, they just didn't make the top 10.

Alliance
May 1, 2007, 3:21 AM
Yes, but seeing Chicago's condinued dominance in these areas, I think there is somthing to talk about.

Don't get me wrong...I HATE these polls. However, something tremendous is brewing in Chicago, and this poll has repeatedly recognized it.

Feel free to knock the poll, but don't knock my city.

Marcu
May 1, 2007, 5:50 AM
Also, Chicago has one of the highest move-out rates.

Do you have the stats for that? Is it really any higher than New York, Boston, or other established northern cities? Are you sure the number doesn't represent people moving to Chicago suburbs (which very few Chicagoans really count as "moving out")?

Keep in mind Chicago metro was I believe the 5th greatest gainer in population in the US from 2000 to 2006.

Rail Claimore
May 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Do you have the stats for that? Is it really any higher than New York, Boston, or other established northern cities? Are you sure the number doesn't represent people moving to Chicago suburbs (which very few Chicagoans really count as "moving out")?

Keep in mind Chicago metro was I believe the 5th greatest gainer in population in the US from 2000 to 2006.

IIRC, domestic migration for the state of Illinois was in the negatives (like California, New York, etc) for the past few years. Most of the gain in Chicagoland's population has come from immigration and an increase in births.

Alliance
May 1, 2007, 2:40 PM
Well honestly, the climates of Chicago and NYC are not really condusive to Baby Boomers. THis is speculation, but that might account for a good portion of the loss of population.

DenverCrow
May 1, 2007, 7:23 PM
IIRC, domestic migration for the state of Illinois was in the negatives (like California, New York, etc) for the past few years. Most of the gain in Chicagoland's population has come from immigration and an increase in births.
Yep. Cities like Miami, Phoenix, Denver, and Houston have been on the upswing of migration, while the larger states are flipped.

HoosierGuy317
May 4, 2007, 3:09 AM
Yeah and baltimore has 500k, pitssburg has 300k.

Woah, I didn't even notice they were there. The list is WHACK. lol

bnk
May 4, 2007, 4:23 AM
Woah, I didn't even notice they were there. The list is WHACK. lol

One must look at the metro area. To say that Pittsburgh or Baltimore has 300k and 500k is a misnomer.

That is like saying that Minneapolis is only 380k when the metro area is 3 million plus.

I guess if your metro is not on the list than crap away.

Marrson
May 5, 2007, 3:47 AM
:cool: JACKSONVILLE Over 777,000 City Pop. not counting it's Metro Area: The Jax'ville Beaches, St. Augustine to Southeastern Georgia. Everchanging Skyline on bothsides of St. Johns River. Lots of scenic bridges connecting the downtown to southside, northside to JAX. F.Y.I. Even some Southern California Businesses moved their corporate offices, JAX International Airport Area building up, JaxPort keeps upgrading it's container port, you can take cruises from Jax'ville nowadays, & still a Major Railroad Hub & Headquarters. Aweinspiring huge natural parklands. Still Enough Room to spreadout. Once a sleepy southern city, but embracing greater changes & challenges for it's bright future. It's Florida's First Coast...and it's all about location, location, location!:yes:Where can this city fit in??? Plus WHERE IS THREAD FOR JACKSONVILLE???:rolleyes:

bryson662001
May 5, 2007, 4:07 AM
It doesn't take anything away from Chicago to point out that the list itself is way beyond ridiculous.

I know it's just more magazine fluff but wouldn't you expect them to give a thought to protecting any little credability they might have had before releasing somthing like this? People who work for magazines seem to come from the same pool where they find TV news personalites.

Marcu
May 5, 2007, 4:38 PM
It doesn't take anything away from Chicago to point out that the list itself is way beyond ridiculous.

I know it's just more magazine fluff but wouldn't you expect them to give a thought to protecting any little credability they might have had before releasing somthing like this? People who work for magazines seem to come from the same pool where they find TV news personalites.

Agreed. Also, I think lists like this have an opt-in system where cities must submit some form and possibly some data to participate.

ginsan2
May 6, 2007, 3:09 AM
Also, Chicago has one of the highest move-out rates. I like it there, but I wouldn't live there, it's just not a real friendly city for an entrepreneur, after my research.

So you chose... Denver? Colorado? :shrug: For entrepreneurship I could see one choosing San Francisco, or even Texas or Boston or something, but... I just don't think that it's possible to read those words coming from Denver.

Marcu
May 7, 2007, 6:03 AM
Don't get me wrong...I HATE these polls. However, something tremendous is brewing in Chicago, and this poll has repeatedly recognized it.

Here's more to add to the brewing

From http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2007/may/topGroups/

The Windy City – the No. 1 metro in America in corporate facility projects last year – was second in jobs with 10,138 and second in investment at $5.05 billion. World Business Chicago launched a new Web site last year that includes interviews with Chicago's top C- suite executives, interactive maps, an events calendar and new photos of the city.
World Business Chicago played a pivotal role in convincing HSBC North America Holdings Inc. to relocate and expand in the area, adding 2,400 employees and 440,000 sq. ft. (40,876 sq. m.). IMS Companies LLC added 400 workers and 255,000 sq. ft. (23,690 sq. m.); James McHugh Construction Co. announced a $112- million investment; and Blue Cross/Blue Shield is creating enough space to nearly double its occupancy to 8,000 by adding 24 floors to its downtown location, at a cost of $270 million.

Mayor Quimby
May 7, 2007, 6:44 AM
Our Mayor had a hissy fit said they were wrong, anyone elese have a city council or mayor like this ?

DenverCrow
May 7, 2007, 4:16 PM
So you chose... Denver? Colorado? :shrug: For entrepreneurship I could see one choosing San Francisco, or even Texas or Boston or something, but... I just don't think that it's possible to read those words coming from Denver.

Who said I made a choice?

I was brought here when my parents switched jobs. And believe me, it's not the best area for an entrepreneur, but it's certainly a good one. Business is still young here, and labor is rather open-faced, here. I already own a small labor union, and am gaining more and more jobs daily.

dktshb
May 7, 2007, 5:24 PM
New York City and Los Angeles are cities of the past, present and future... I am not sure why they are missing from the list. :koko:

Coldrsx
May 7, 2007, 6:20 PM
Edmonton is rightfully so...

3rd highest disposable income in canada
over 1million people
fastest growing major airport in canada
2% pop growth
3.4% unemployment rate (US conversion it would be 2.0% ish)
high quality of life
no provincial sales tax
120billion dollars in the vicinity for oil and gas development

www.movetoedmonton.com

Marcu
May 8, 2007, 3:38 AM
Edmonton is rightfully so...

3rd highest disposable income in canada

3.4% unemployment rate (US conversion it would be 2.0% ish)

www.movetoedmonton.com

Isn't it 3rd out of about six cities?

Also, I don't get the conversion.

65MAX
May 8, 2007, 5:38 AM
This list is just fluff. Nothing against Chicago or anyone else on the list, but listing Philly, a metro area of over 5 million people, as a second tier city? Sorry, not a lot of credibility there. And yes NY, LA and SF are dynamic today, but does anyone really believe that they won't be just as dynamic and vital in the future? No matter how high the property values are?

65MAX
May 8, 2007, 5:41 AM

The US counts unemployed people differently, in fact, seriously undercounts them (for political reasons).

KB0679
May 8, 2007, 6:26 AM
This list is just fluff. Nothing against Chicago or anyone else on the list, but listing Philly, a metro area of over 5 million people, as a second tier city? Sorry, not a lot of credibility there.

For some unexplained reason, with Philly, the city/county was the only thing assessed, not the entire metro area.

Marcu
May 8, 2007, 4:27 PM
The US counts unemployed people differently, in fact, seriously undercounts them (for political reasons).

All nations in the UN must comply with the System of National Accounts.
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/sna1993/introduction.asp The UN periodically audits the data to make it's in compliance.

I think what you may be referring to is the "out of the workforce rate"., or the idea that people out of the workforce are not counted in unemployment statistics. This can, in part, be measured with the employment rate. In 2003, Canada's employment rate reached a record 63.0% and surpassed the United States (62.3%) for the first time in over two decades. This may be a result of people leaving the workforce or just a product of the baby boom generation retiring. In any case the difference between the US and Canada is minimal and both countries usually follow similar trends.

Marcu
May 8, 2007, 4:31 PM
For some unexplained reason, with Philly, the city/county was the only thing assessed, not the entire metro area.

It's most likely an opt-in study. Cities must submit data on their behalf for the study so Philly might have simply not included the rest of the metro for one reason or another. But you are right in a sense that we need to consider all of Philly metro for a proper analysis.

dante2308
May 8, 2007, 9:01 PM
If anyone was wondering, Atlanta got #1 Most business friendly and was top five for three other categories. Lets keep in mind that Atlanta was a sprawlopolis with an 80's mindset kind of place until the turn of the century. Way to turn everything around so quickly. I can see so much change coming around the corner here. Phoenix is growing and all, but thats about all it's currently leading in. Just being truthful. It did come tenth in it's category (US cities 500,000-2 million)

#3 Best Economic Potential
#4 Best Human Resources
#3 Best Infrastructure
#1 Most Business Friendly

barneyg
May 9, 2007, 2:03 PM
All nations in the UN must comply with the System of National Accounts.
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/sna1993/introduction.asp The UN periodically audits the data to make it's in compliance.

I think what you may be referring to is the "out of the workforce rate"., or the idea that people out of the workforce are not counted in unemployment statistics. This can, in part, be measured with the employment rate. In 2003, Canada's employment rate reached a record 63.0% and surpassed the United States (62.3%) for the first time in over two decades. This may be a result of people leaving the workforce or just a product of the baby boom generation retiring. In any case the difference between the US and Canada is minimal and both countries usually follow similar trends.

Exactly. However if you look at the official unemployment rate, as of April 2007, it's 4.5% for the US (www.bls.gov) and 6.1% for Canada (www.statcan.ca). Looks like the OP's adjustment was about right: individual Canadian (American) city numbers need to be adjusted downward (upward) for a meaningful comparison.

Marcu
May 9, 2007, 9:52 PM
Exactly. However if you look at the official unemployment rate, as of April 2007, it's 4.5% for the US (www.bls.gov) and 6.1% for Canada (www.statcan.ca). Looks like the OP's adjustment was about right: individual Canadian (American) city numbers need to be adjusted downward (upward) for a meaningful comparison.

Oh I see what you meant. I thought you were saying that the American rate is understated and the Canadian rate is overstated. My mistake.

Coldrsx
May 9, 2007, 11:27 PM
Isn't it 3rd out of about six cities?

3rd out of say 20 major cities...