PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Hopes for a Renaissance After Exodus in St. Louis

Evergrey
Apr 18, 2007, 3:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis.html

Hopes for a Renaissance After Exodus in St. Louis

By SUSAN SAULNY
Published: April 17, 2007

ST. LOUIS — Cities, like most living things, have sensitive spots. Here in the old “Gateway to the West,” the subject of population loss is one of the touchiest.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis1.large.jpg
Stephanie S. Cordle for The New York Times
On the north side of St. Louis, near the Mississippi River, abandoned and rotting buildings are symbols of the city’s population loss.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/17/us/0417-nat-STLOUIS.jpg

From a peak of nearly 860,000 residents in 1950, St. Louis had lost more than half a million people by 2000, a depopulation not unlike the devastating postwar exodus from Detroit. Since the 2000 census, St. Louis has kept shrinking, the Census Bureau estimates, while most old cities have added people.

Population is a critical indicator of any city’s health, but the sinking numbers here are particularly unwelcome as the city has spiraled from one woe to the next.

In the past few months, the public schools were stripped of accreditation and taken over by the state; the city was designated the most dangerous in the country in a national crime survey; and 15 police officers and supervisors were disciplined for giving World Series tickets seized from scalpers to friends and family.

“These things are absolutely not helpful,” said John Haul, an assistant professor of architecture at Washington University who has been involved in numerous municipal planning projects. “We have to redevelop the city regardless; this just makes it harder.”

City officials question the accuracy of the census calculations and suggest the city has turned the corner. Their optimism is based on a flurry of downtown development since 2000, including hundreds of loft condominiums, boutiques and restaurants.

“We’re actually doing very well,” said Rollin B. Stanley, director of the city’s planning and urban design agency, which puts the population at 354,000, about 6,000 higher than the Census Bureau.

But the effort to put a positive spin on the population debate — and with it, the hope for a long-awaited renaissance — comes against a difficult backdrop.

In March, the Missouri State Board of Education took over the public schools for consistently poor performance. Teachers and parents, who largely opposed the takeover, said the district had been starved for resources to care for some of the neediest students in the country.

“Without financial and human resources, we’re set up to fail,” said Chip Clatto, an assistant principal at a school on the north side. “I’m wondering if people on the outside realize that not only are we trying to educate these kids, we’re trying to turn them into citizens when their society has failed them.”

Signs of a looming disaster for the district of 35,000 students, mostly poor and black, had been clear for years. In 2004, a national education advocacy group found that only 5 percent of 11th graders in city schools were proficient in reading.

“They’ve had a revolving door in and out of the superintendent’s office for some time,” said Michael Casserly, the executive director of the group, Great City Schools. “They’ve had a lot of turmoil, and it’s made it almost impossible for the system to gain any momentum.”

In October, St. Louis was identified as “America’s most dangerous city” by a private research firm that publishes an annual crime ranking. Though city officials and some experts criticized the ranking as simplistic, aggravated assaults with guns, considered one of the best gauges of a city’s level of violence, were up more than 30 percent over the past two years, according to the Police Executive Research Forum.

“A few people are responsible for most of the crime, and we’re targeting those people,” said Barbara A. Geisman, the city’s director of development. “The vast majority of St. Louis is as safe as any place in the suburbs.”

But recently there was more bad news from law enforcement in the case of the World Series tickets. One of the best moments of civic pride in recent years — the Cardinals’ victory last fall — was tainted. Chief Joe Mokwa recommended that 8 of the 15 officers be suspended for two weeks and be reduced in rank for a minimum of one year.

“They’re not thieves,” Mr. Mokwa said when announcing the punishment. “They made a mistake.”

Even the weather got the better of the city last summer, when a storm knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of customers for more than a week. Tempers flared as the power company was unable to restore service quickly, with utility workers from as far away as Arizona ultimately enlisted to help.

Rebuilding, and rebranding, St. Louis when some basic quality of life indicators point in the wrong direction has not been easy. And while the city’s population has shrunk, its sprawling suburbs have grown. The metropolitan area’s population is more than 2.6 million.

“This is a city that at one point was the fourth largest in the United States,” said Richard B. Rosenfeld, a professor of criminology at the University of Missouri, St. Louis. “The distance we’ve fallen from the status of being a major national city does affect St. Louisans.”

The city has retained attractions like Forest Park, excellent universities and a vibrant arts scene. But vast sections of North St. Louis show what happens when people leave town in big numbers: What is left is a shell of a city, boarded up, rotting, populated by the most impoverished. Residents, mostly black, are still fleeing these parts of town.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis2.large.jpg
Peter Newcomb for The New York Times
Chris Termini lives downtown, in an area unfit for comfortable living 10 years ago.

For years, experts said, as the population dwindled, there was no sense of urgency about how the city could come back. Now there is. Last year, for instance, the city developed a new land use plan for the first time since 1947. And a state tax credit program has been spurring investment in some forgotten parts of the city.

Some neighborhoods, like Lafayette Park, are even thriving.

Since 1999, according to the Downtown St. Louis Partnership, a civic group, 62 historic buildings have been redeveloped for residences and businesses, 12 are currently being remodeled and about 20 conversions are in the planning stages. And according to the city, the two-square-mile downtown area has over 9,000 residents — 6,300 more than in 2000.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis3.large.jpg
Peter Newcomb for The New York Times
Chip Clatto is an assistant principal at a north side school.

“There’s a young middle-class movement beginning,” said James Neal Primm, a retired professor and author of “Lion of the Valley,” an extensive history of St. Louis. “My overall reaction is that there should be a lot more. But there is something going on.”

Dr. Primm’s grandson, Chris Termini, 29, lives in one of the new downtown lofts, in an area that was unfit for comfortable living just 10 years ago. At night, the sidewalk cafes are full. Joggers pass; dog walkers idle.

“We walk everywhere for food and entertainment,” Mr. Termini said. “It’s great.”

Mr. Stanley, the city planner, had all this in mind when he challenged the Census Bureau’s 2003 population estimate. St. Louis won that dispute, successfully arguing that it did not lose 17,000 people between 2000 and 2003 — rather 50. “That’s five-zero,” said Mr. Stanley, a Canadian by birth with great love for St. Louis.

This year, he said he had a feeling that the bureau would say St. Louis was down again. And it did, giving the city an estimated population of 347,180 — slightly less than the 2000 population count of 348,200.

That is just plain wrong, Mr. Stanley said, adding that his challenge of the estimate is ready to go.

Win or lose, officials will probably not know with any certainty who lives in St. Louis until the next national count, in 2010, because interim figures are based on less accurate estimates.

“We have to wait,” Professor Rosenfeld said. “I think it’s clear that the rate of decline we’ve seen through the last decades is not going to continue. The question is whether we’ll see a net increase.”

He added, “Sensitive subject.”

pico44
Apr 18, 2007, 4:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis.html

Hopes for a Renaissance After Exodus in St. Louis

By SUSAN SAULNY
Published: April 17, 2007

subject.”

Good to see St Louis joining the country's urban renaissance.

LMich
Apr 18, 2007, 4:48 AM
I'd say more they've done more than just joined the club. They joined the club years ago. I'm kind of surprised that the article seems to paint them as a latest comer to the game. I'm also surprised they said that most older cities are now gaining population. That's just not true. St. Louis is actually pretty unique in that it's been able to stop its population decline in recent years.

I'm really kind of surprised at the tone the New York Times took. They are usually more accurate when discussing city revitalizations. They get an "A" for effort, but to tell you the truth, they did a much better job describing Detroit's revitalization, which is years behind St. Louis's.

pdxtex
Apr 18, 2007, 9:39 AM
ummm, maybe this is part of the problem....

"Last year, for instance, the city developed a new land use plan for the first time since 1947."

just a thought....

JivecitySTL
Apr 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
I agree, it was a bit disappointing considering how far the city has come in recent years. There are entire neighborhoods that are completely unrecognizable from their condition 10 years ago. The city is back in a big way, and I think the article was way too ambiguous in its presentation.

PhillyRising
Apr 18, 2007, 2:36 PM
I agree, it was a bit disappointing considering how far the city has come in recent years. There are entire neighborhoods that are completely unrecognizable from their condition 10 years ago. The city is back in a big way, and I think the article was way too ambiguous in its presentation.

Don't ever expect much praise from the New York based media......

Crawford
Apr 18, 2007, 3:07 PM
I don't want to get bashed by the many great St. Louis SSP forumers, but I would be really surprised if St. Louis was actually gaining population. In the U.S., the overwhelming driver of urban population growth is immigration. If Chicago, a huge immigrant center, does not appear to be growing, how can St. Louis be growing?

Outside of NYC and DC, pretty much every single older city in the Northeast and Midwest has a stable or declining population. What factor makes St. Louis unique? Perhaps the previous population numbers were dramatic undercounts, and so the population isn't growing but the reporting is better?

Gentrification doesn't really do much for population growth citywide. Has St. Louis received a recent mega-uptick in immigration?

Evergrey
Apr 18, 2007, 3:16 PM
I don't want to get bashed by the many great St. Louis SSP forumers, but I would be really surprised if St. Louis was actually gaining population. In the U.S., the overwhelming driver of urban population growth is immigration. If Chicago, a huge immigrant center, does not appear to be growing, how can St. Louis be growing?

Outside of NYC and DC, pretty much every single older city in the Northeast and Midwest has a stable or declining population. What factor makes St. Louis unique? Perhaps the previous population numbers were dramatic undercounts, and so the population isn't growing but the reporting is better?

Gentrification doesn't really do much for population growth citywide. Has St. Louis received a recent mega-uptick in immigration?

I agree. I think the more likely scenario is that St. Louis, like most urban areas, has been undercounted for a long time. The Census Bureau recently made a correction that is perceived by most as a "population gain", because it is an increase in the official count. However, I believe that the trend of population loss most likely continues... it's just that StL has always had a higher population than the Census has reported.

That's just merely my speculation. I do know that StL has been a center for Bosnian immigration.

pico44
Apr 18, 2007, 4:15 PM

What do you want from the Times? A proclamation that St Louis has reclaimed its title as the midwest's greatest city. Admittedly I haven't been to St Louis in 3-4 years, but unless the last three years have been the most productive in the history of cities; St Louis has a long way to go yet. When I was there I saw miles and miles of gorgeous neighborhoods boarded up and crumbling. And I saw sprawl that would make a Californian blush. And it sounds as if the schools are just awful. Not ten years ago but right now. I think the Times got it right: one of Americas greatest cities of yore producing rumblings of a comeback. Let's hope it continues.

st steven
Apr 18, 2007, 4:35 PM
Bah. Screw 'em.

Three, four, five years ago, when I felt insecure and uncertain about the city's comeback, I would have huffed and hawed over this. Now, frankly, I don't give a shit what anyone writes, NYT or otherwise.

Now in Saint Louis, it's not a question of if or will a renaissance happen, it's a question how long will it take.

If you haven't been here in 3-4 years, you would be impressed by how far we've come. Not knock-you-on-your-ass impressed, but definitely impressed. We're at that critical mass stage where the knock-you-on-your-ass impressed will happen in the next two years.

Tell ya what. Come back in 2010 when it's all fait accompli, when we're in our baroque phase. In the meantime, I will be basking in the renaissance.

JivecitySTL
Apr 18, 2007, 4:39 PM
^You wouldn't even recognize those once-crumbling neighborhoods today. Sure, we have plenty of work left to do, but the city's renaissance is in full swing. Vacancy rates are plummeting, people are restoring old homes and buildings and moving back.

I agree that that doesn't necessarily translate into net growth, but it sure helps stem the decline which has plagued the city for half a century.

As for immigration-- St. Louis, like most cities, is indeed experiencing higher rates of immigration than in years past. Still, it's not considered a major destination for immigrants, but the increase does account for something.

Steely Dan
Apr 18, 2007, 4:48 PM

comparisons to chicago might not be very apt. chicago is like 4 or 5 times the physical size of st. louis. it's entirely plausible that st. louis has bottomed out and is now on the population incline while chicago might still be bleeding displaced families. also, in chicago, gentrification is bring about lower populations. a 3 flat on the near west side that may once have held 3 immigrant families with a total of 18 people living in it now has 6 yuppies living in it after being "condo-ized". chicago is undoubtedly getting healthier and more neighborhoods are becoming stabilized, but that doesn't neccessarily mean the population of the city is going up.

also, as is well knwn on this forum, the census bureau has a history of not having a friggin clue as to how to go about estimating chicago's popualtion ( their estimates were off by over 200,000 people (8%) when they last counted in 2000). so it's also well within the realm of possibility that chicago is increasing in population now as well and that the census bureau is just getting it all wrong once again.

trvlr70
Apr 18, 2007, 5:24 PM
I hope St. Louis' upturn continues. IMHO, St. Louis is the Midwest's 'Second City' and the city is just too amenity rich, graced with terrific infrastructure, and filled with too many positive spirits to continue to squander.

pico44
Apr 18, 2007, 6:20 PM
I hope St. Louis' upturn continues. IMHO, St. Louis is the Midwest's 'Second City' and the city is just too amenity rich, graced with terrific infrastructure, and filled with too many positive spirits to continue to squander.

There was a time when St Louis was the first city of the midwest. Oh how the mighty have fallen. What a treat it would be to see St Louis reclaim some of its former glory.

pdxstreetcar
Apr 18, 2007, 7:23 PM
The last 5 years has probably been the best time for US cities since the 1920s. The whole urban living movement has taken off in this time and in all cities from NYC to Seattle to LA to Detroit. Neighborhoods that were boarded up are coming alive with small businesses. I think perhaps what the article is getting at is that most people think the revival is just in certain existing vibrant cities but rather it is in all cities including many that were absolutely devastated in the last 40 years.

Go St. Louis!

LMich
Apr 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it's not beyond belief that St. Louis has stopped its population loss. In fact, not only is it not beyond belief, but I feel considerably comfortable in saying that with a city as physically as small as St. Louis, it's most likely bottom out in its population loss like Steely pointed to.

I'd bet that if you'd shrink Detroit's borders down to St. Louis's size, we'd see a much, much slower population bleed. St. Louis City is really the size of some larger cities 'Inner-city' core neighborhoods. For instance, Old Detroit (inside the Grand Boulevard Loop) is just 15-20 or so square miles smaller than St. Louis, and I'd imagine this area has posted a very small population loss since 2000. With a city like St. Louis being able to focus all of its energies on an area the size of many cities inner cities, I'd not unlikely the city is growing, or, at the very least, has stagnanted.

st steven
Apr 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
Not following, LMich. Why would we "bottom out" at 360,000? Why not 200k or 100k, or fail completely? Just seems like a write off to me.

LMich
Apr 18, 2007, 11:55 PM
Why would it bottom out a zero? If that it did, that would point to the city being a complete failure. I think it's quite clear developers and communities have done enough to at least stop the massive bleeding, and plug some of the existing holes. A bottoming out at nothing would literally mean that no one developer or community, was doing anything to stop the loss.

SuburbanNation
Apr 19, 2007, 1:12 AM
Admittedly I haven't been to St Louis in 3-4 years, but unless the last three years have been the most productive in the history of cities; St Louis has a long way to go yet.

3-4 years, huh? then you won't recognize the city by 2010...

JivecitySTL
Apr 19, 2007, 1:38 AM
I totally agree with Lmich's summation. I think St. Louis's relatively compact physical size is both a hinderance and an opportunity. When the city closed its borders in 1876 and became an independent city, it thought it was being progressive. But that was long before suburbanization transformed America. But today, there is a movement back to cities underway, and compact urban cities like St. Louis stand to gain the most from the trend. It's big enough to offer the urban amenities that people are seeking again, yet managable enough to really notice and affect the changes.

This is a very, very exciting time in St. Louis.

Chicago103
Apr 19, 2007, 11:55 PM
Please dont tell me there are NIMBY's in St. Louis that complain about overcrowding, traffic and parking considering the city used to hold more than twice the amount of people?!!!!

Arch City
Apr 22, 2007, 2:06 AM
I didn't like the tenor of the NYT article either. If you were in St. Louis 4 or 5 years ago - especially downtown - it is clearly not the same city. Surely St. Louis has lots of work to do, but what has been done over the 7/8 years is mind-boggling. New infrastructure, new schools, new housing, rehabs, new retail etc. etc. - real critical mass.

If you are a reporter/visitor visiting St. Louis for the first time, you might wonder what all of the fuss is about, which gives birth to an ambiguous article like this. They don't know how bad the city had suffered with depopulation, decay and demolition.

Also, the article does not mention that Missouri's take over of the St. Louis Public Schools was supported by many people. As strange as it may seem, it is another sign of change in St. Louis. People were tired of the dysfunctional board and leadership at the SLPS. People realize that the public schools have to get stronger in order to lure more residents and properly educate the students already there.

And check out the two pictures below. The vacant house the NYT included in its article is in a neighborhood that is booming with rehabs (homes and commercial) and new infills. New developments are under construction and planned.

New York Times, photo

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/17/us/17stlouis1.large.jpg

Just one block away are rehabs and infills. Below, notice the house in the background. It is the house in the NYT's photo.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_GkDLXsCetg8/RigBI3nRjCI/AAAAAAAAAFc/PdLGtYGNjiA/s400/041907+002.jpg

Source: What's New in Old North St. Louis Blog (http://newoldnorth.blogspot.com/2007/04/almost-too-much-to-report-in-old-north.html)

Hat Tip: DeBaliviere