PDA

View Full Version : My City has the ___________ In the World!

Pages : [1] 2

SpinoC66
Apr 16, 2007, 12:40 AM
What does your city have?

Biggest?
Longest?
Shortest?
Deadliest?
Scariest?
Prettiest?
Etc...

In the world. Was your city the first to have _____________? The last?

Represent your city!

ctman987
Apr 16, 2007, 3:01 AM
Hartford, CT

The Wadsworth Atheneum is the oldest public art museum in the country

The Old State House is the oldest state house in the country

The Travelers Tower when it was built was the tallest skyscraper in New England

G. Fox & Company which closed in 1993 and now houses a college was one of the 6 largest department stores in the country and the largest in New England

mhays
Apr 16, 2007, 3:14 AM
Biggest building by volume (Boeing Everett), richest person (Gates), and largest charitable foundation (Gates).

I'm talking metro of course.

JManc
Apr 16, 2007, 3:20 AM
houston:

largest medical complex in the world (texas medical center)
tallest suburban office building in the world (williams tower)

Xelebes
Apr 16, 2007, 3:55 AM
Edmonton

Largest Park Space within a city (River Valley is about 13 times the size of NYC's Central Park.)

I'll think of more later.

Peanut
Apr 16, 2007, 4:39 AM
My City (Syracuse, NY) has the 2nd most polluted lake in the world and the most polluted lake in the US. Im so Proud!

CommercialRealtor
Apr 16, 2007, 4:40 AM
Orlando -

Cinderella's Castle. It could be the single best-loved structure in the world.

bjornson
Apr 16, 2007, 4:44 AM
Orlando -

Cinderella's Castle. It could be the single best-loved structure in the world.

There's one in Tokyo.

bnk
Apr 16, 2007, 4:56 AM
What does your city have?

In the world. Was your city the first to have the birth of the modern skyscraper.

The last? American city to represent the USA in the 2016 Olympics.
!

Minato Ku
Apr 16, 2007, 9:31 AM
Paris is the smallest Top 4 global cities
Paris is the third largest office space estate in the world after Tokyo and New York :
49 million m² (527 sq ft) built and 2 million m² (21 million sq ft) under in constrution
Paris has the most office space under in construction in Europe
The largest office building in Europe : Coeur Defense tower with 350,000 m² (3.77 million sq. ft) of offices.
The largest district specifically built for business in Europe : La Defense with 150 000 daily workers and 3.5 million m² (38 million sq. ft) of office space
The biggest CBD in Europe : QCA (Quartier Central des Affaires) with 420,000 employees and 8.5 million m² (91 million sq. ft) of office space
The biggest museum in the world : le Louvre
The densest subway in the world.
The most international business conferences
The busiest and the biggest underground station in the Europe Maybe in the world : Chatelet-les-Halles
The biggest subway exchange in Europe formed by 5 stations, linked by underground passage, under the the CBD : St Augustin - St Lazare - Hausmann - Havre Caumartin - Auber - Opera Maybe also the biggest in the world
The busiest terminal railway station in Europe : Gare du Nord
The busiest urban line in Europe : RER A)
The busiest subway system in western Europe
The busiest suburban system in the western world
The biggest cube in the world (La Grande Arche)
The most jewishs in Europe
The most muslims in Europe
The most taoist in Europe
The most boudhist in Europe
The biggest chinese community in Europe.
The biggest chinatown in europe
The largest concentration of manga consumers in the western world :haha:

muppet
Apr 16, 2007, 9:43 AM
London

biggest international airport (Heathrow)

biggest transport hub (130 million air passengers pa)

most international airports (5)

most major rail termini (9)

biggest bus network

biggest ringroad (wa-hey!)

biggest ferris wheel

biggest decorative arts museum (V&A 4 million exhibits)

biggest natural history msueum (20 million? exhibits)

biggest antiquities museum (British Museum 6 million exhibits)

biggest club scene (500,000 - 1 million clubbers a night)

biggest underground network (in route km)

biggest dome

biggest fashion store

biggest modern art gallery

biggest er, river barrier

most languages spoken (350)

most minorities represented majorly (85)

biggest student population

most protected buildings (25,000)

oldest underground network

most open space/ parkland (87 sq. miles)

most pubs (8000)

most churches (4000)

most international visitors (we beat Paris last year!)

2nd biggest stadium

2nd biggest castle

2nd biggest carnival (after Rio)

most expensive house

most expensive apartment

most expensive office rents (West End)

most expensive ground (Clerkenwell)

most banks and banking HQ

biggest hedge funds sector

biggest insurance sector

biggest international finance sector

most expensive transport fees

most professional football clubs

most cinema screens (600)

most markets (300)

most galleries (320)

most theatres (120)

most theatre groups (1500) and dance troupes (600)

most museums (350)

oldest zoo

biggest private art collection (the Royal Collection)

biggest arts fair

biggest auction houses

biggest Chinese New Year celebrations outside China (300,000 crowd)

biggest marathon (over 30,000 runners)

biggest boat race (2 boats, 250,000 crowd)

biggest Millennium celebrations (over 3 million crowd)

Minato Ku
Apr 16, 2007, 9:59 AM
London

I am not sure of this, because with 30 million international visitors Paris is not bad.

JivecitySTL
Apr 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
St. Louis has:

-the world's tallest man-made monument (Gateway Arch)
-the largest brewery in the world (A-B)
-more stop signs per capita than any other city in the United States
-more Bosnians than any other city in the United States
-the world's largest single collection of mosaic art (Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis)

glowrock
Apr 16, 2007, 1:20 PM
St. Louis has:

-the world's tallest man-made monument (Gateway Arch)
-the largest brewery in the world (A-B)
-more stop signs per capita than any other city in the United States
-more Bosnians than any other city in the United States

When you say the largest brewery in the world, you're referring to corporate headquarters, correct? If you're referring to the largest individual brewery in the world, that would be the Coors brewery here in metro Denver, err, Golden... ;)

Aaron (Glowrock)

eemy
Apr 16, 2007, 1:41 PM
Biggest building by volume (Boeing Everett), richest person (Gates), and largest charitable foundation (Gates).

I'm talking metro of course.

Unfortunately, while you are correct in principle, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is only the second largest in the world after the Dutch charitable foundation, Stichting INGKA Foundation, in place "to promote and support innovation in the field of architectural and interior design." It is the owner of INGKA Holding, which is the parent company of IKEA. It's largely assumed to be a tax-avoidance and anti-take over scheme. (http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6919139)

I don't know if Kitchener-Waterloo has the biggest or best of anything, though I think it may have the largest Oktoberfest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener-Waterloo_Oktoberfest) celebration in North America, and in a related note, possibly the most tacky building (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hans_Haus.jpg) in the world. Ottawa allegedly has the longest skating rink in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rideau_Canal#The_Skateway), but I understand that Winnipeg is challenging that claim to fame. Apparently the Chamber Music Festival (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Chamber_Music_Festival) there is the largest in the world, and they have the largest beach volleyball tournament (http://www.ottawafestivals.ca/showevents.cfm?EventId=16) and hockey tournament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_International_Hockey_Festival) in the world as well.

Peanuthead
Apr 16, 2007, 2:05 PM
Cool idea for a thread!

Edinburgh...

-World's oldest purpose-built student union building(University of Edinburgh), Teviot Row House, built 1889

-World's largest arts festival, the Edinburgh Fringe

-World's most extensive collection of Georgian and neo-Classical Architecture, mainly in the New Town

-World's densest city (back in the 1700's) :)

-World's oldest school, the Royal High School, early 12 C, very debatable!

-The view from Princes Street is the prettiest urban scene on Earth, IMO...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/10/13801222_4fdccba15c_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/119785045_f33eef5e58_o.jpg

keninhalifax
Apr 16, 2007, 3:26 PM
During the winter months, Ottawa has the longest skating rink in the world, the Rideau Canal.

Ottawa has the largest Chamber Music Festival in the world.

SteveD
Apr 16, 2007, 3:36 PM
well, perhaps just to get started for Atlanta....

...busiest airport

...largest aquarium

Buckeye Native 001
Apr 16, 2007, 3:47 PM
Los Angeles has the largest percentage of women with boob jobs in the world!

Steely Dan
Apr 16, 2007, 4:01 PM
chicago has the leakiest river in the world. ;)

and to the best of my knowledge, chicago has the only human-engineered backwards-flowing river in the world as well.

SteveD
Apr 16, 2007, 4:23 PM
chicago has the leakiest river in the world. ;)

and to the best of my knowledge, chicago has the only human-engineered backwards-flowing river in the world as well.

:previous: :haha: Oh, I forgot for Atlanta...

...most Waffle Houses per capita??

ColDayMan
Apr 16, 2007, 5:32 PM
Columbus has more Wendy's per capita than any city IN ZEE WORLD!!!

The Chemist
Apr 16, 2007, 5:35 PM
Calgary has the LRT system with the highest ridership in North America.
Calgary has quite possibly the largest CBD (by floor space) of any comparably sized city in the world (currently 32.5 million square feet - will be over 40 million square feet by the end of the decade).

DecoJim
Apr 16, 2007, 6:24 PM
Detroit, Michigan
These days it is difficult to come up with any superlatives for this city.

* The first city in (western hemisphere) to loose 1 million in population!

Back in its golden age (about 1900-1929), Detroit did establish a number of firsts:

* First paved road for automobiles (Woodward Ave from 6 to 7 mile roads).
* First traffic light.
* First moving assembly line for automobiles.
* Largest autofactory in the world (first Highland Park plant and then Ford Rouge plant which was so big it had to be built on 2 square miles of land just outside the (current) city limits in Dearborn).
* Highest home ownership percentage of any major city (currently it is about 70% and a few other cities such as Indianapolis are comparable).
* Ambassador Bridge was the longest main span suspension bridge in the world from 1929 until 1931.

bricky
Apr 16, 2007, 7:05 PM
Paris is the smallest Top 4 global cities
The largest concentration of manga consumers in the western world :haha:

Is it true? I'm about 10 years too old to know first-hand, but when I walk into a Barnes & Nobles bookstore in Manhattan at around 3 or 4pm, a bit after school lets out, I see tons of high school kids in the manga section. I'd guess the same thing is true in Los Angeles, another large American metro. Not that I think manga awareness is much to brag about

bricky
Apr 16, 2007, 7:09 PM
Los Angeles has the largest percentage of women with boob jobs in the world!

When it comes to plastic surgery, a little known fact outside of East Asia is that South Korea has the highest rates in the whole world. But I think plastic surgery is mostly to the face (and especially eyes) over there. No immediate reference to back this up, but I do remember reading somewhere that about 40% of young women in S Korea had one form or another of plastic surgery.

Buckeye Native 001
Apr 16, 2007, 7:29 PM
My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously, these type of threads are usually just "dick measuring" contests and I was being facetious.

Minato Ku
Apr 16, 2007, 9:01 PM
Is it true? I'm about 10 years too old to know first-hand, but when I walk into a Barnes & Nobles bookstore in Manhattan at around 3 or 4pm, a bit after school lets out, I see tons of high school kids in the manga section. I'd guess the same thing is true in Los Angeles, another large American metro. Not that I think manga awareness is much to brag about
:yes:
France is the second consumer of manga in the world. (After Japan obvious)

cornholio
Apr 16, 2007, 9:15 PM
New Westminster a suberb of Vancouver has the largest Tin soldier in the world.

the94112
Apr 17, 2007, 12:35 AM

nerds.

rockyi
Apr 17, 2007, 1:41 AM
Quad Cities

First railroad bridge across the Mississippi (1856)
First four-lane bridge across the Mississippi River (1940)
First chiropractic adjustment (1890something)
First chiropractic college (Palmer 1897)
Oldest continuously occupied High School building in country? (or so I have been told - Davenport Central 1904)

there's probably more but that's all I can think of.

MNdude
Apr 17, 2007, 2:29 AM
Minneapolis: First wood frame house built west of the Mississippi

SpinoC66
Apr 17, 2007, 2:30 AM
I think i heard that Atlanta has the biggest jumbotron thing in Turner Field in the Nation, and Atlanta was the biggest airport radio tower in the world

dktshb
Apr 17, 2007, 2:44 AM

Yes Manga is and has been quite popular in Los Angeles... my favorite Mangaka is ... never mind.

Xelebes
Apr 17, 2007, 6:32 AM
Minneapolis: First wood frame house built west of the Mississippi

Mmmm... date?

Nutterbug
Apr 17, 2007, 3:22 PM
Probably the most prostitutes turned pig feed in the world.

Monetto
Apr 17, 2007, 8:46 PM
tallest free standing structure :)

Ronin
Apr 17, 2007, 11:31 PM

I noticed that French pop culture pays much homage to Japan. For example, there is that movie, Wasabi, about a French guy who fathered a child with a Japanese girl, and I notice many French hip hop album covers with pictures of samurais and ninjas. Also, the guys who founded parkour had a movie called something Urban Samurais.

Buckley
Apr 18, 2007, 12:03 AM
Cawker City, KS---Biggest ball of twine

Minato Ku
Apr 18, 2007, 1:00 AM
Also, the guys who founded parkour had a movie called something Urban Samurais.

Yes, the Yamakasi and the movie Banlieue 13 or District B13, in your localisation profile. :tup:

JManc
Apr 18, 2007, 1:06 AM
houston: biggest asshole in the world.
houston: more escalades and hummers per capita in the world
houston: most taco trucks and stands in the world.
houston: most CVS's per capita in the solar system.

KevinFromTexas
Apr 18, 2007, 1:12 AM
For Austin:

Largest urban bat colony in North America - 1.5 million bats under the bridges around downtown. The largest bat population anywhere in North America resides in the caves to the west of Austin and San Antonio - up to 20 million in all.

Oldest urban lighting system in the United States. 31 "Moonlight Towers" were constructed in 1895 to provide enough light for a person to read their pocketwatch from 1,500 feet away from the tower. The first tower was finished in 1894. Each tower is 165 feet tall and they were placed in downtown, Central Austin, East Austin and a few in South Austin. 17 of the 31 towers remain. Probably the most famous is the one in Zilker Park in South Austin where since 1965 the City of Austin has constructed the Zilker Park Big Christmas Tree. It was also the shooting location for the American cult classic film Dazed and Confused in which the kids have their party at the end of the movie. The towers were placed on the national list of historic places list in 1976.

First recorded serial killer in the US. Between 1884 and 1885 Austin had a rash of murders in which victims were killed with an axe. Some people think the "Austin Axe Murderer" is none other than the infamous Jack the Ripper who just three years later terrorized London. Atleast 7 women were killed in Austin during a 2 year period. It was these murders that ultimately helped promote the construction of the Moonlight Towers as mentioned above.

Oldest kite contest in the United States. The Zilker Park Kite Contest has been going on since 1928. Contestants have to build their own kites. There are 8 classes one can choose to pick. Highest flying, highest angle, largest kite, smallest kite, steadiest flying, strongest pulling kite, most unusual kite. Anyone can enter for the contest, but people are also encouraged to bring store bought kites and fly them, too. Typically the contest draws hundreds of kites to the park.

Largest State Capitol. Some people think Texas has the tallest Capitol, which isn't true, our's is the 5th tallest. When it was constructed in 1888, it was the 2nd tallest state capitol behind the Illinois Capitol which was built the same year and is 50 feet taller. The Capitol in Austin was the tallest building in Texas for 35 years, and the first 300 footer in Texas. It was also the tallest building in Austin for 84 years from 1888 to 1972.

Largest dormitory complex in North America. For a while the Jester Center Dormitory Complex at the University of Texas was the largest student dorm in North America with 2,945 students living there. The complex is made up of a 14-story and 10-story tower as well as lowrise residential in the podium level. The entire complex covers 4 blocks. When it was constructed in 1970 the complex was the largest building in the city and it's the largest building that UT has ever built. The complex also contains a 400 seat auditorium.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 18, 2007, 1:36 AM
What's up with those moonlights? Ugly!

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/uu0io5f5.jpg

KevinFromTexas
Apr 18, 2007, 1:38 AM
1895 industrial design. :yes:

They're actually not that bad, and since they are tall you can't even really see what the top looks like. That picture is definitely zoomed in.

Hoplite330
Apr 18, 2007, 1:41 AM
Hazleton, Pa

3rd city to have citywide electric grid
one of the highest elevation cities east of Mississippi

not much...

foxmtbr
Apr 18, 2007, 2:09 AM
Sac-o-tomatoes, home o' the biggest almond shelling plant in the world! (as listed on emporis, for some odd reason)

Yee-haw!

MolsonExport
Apr 18, 2007, 6:08 PM
My city has the least original name in the world.

London, Ontario.

hauntedheadnc
Apr 18, 2007, 8:50 PM
My city...

...is home to Biltmore House, largest house in the United States.

...was the birthplace of modern forestry in the United States. A European forester was hired by Biltmore Estate to guide the reforestation of the spent farmland upon which the estate was built.

...is home to the Basilica of St. Lawrence, which sports the largest dome of its kind in North America. Also, the last project of architect Rafael Guastavino, who is most famous for his work on Grand Central Station.

...is the largest city on the French Broad River, which is the third-oldest river on Earth.

...is home to the largest repository of weather information in the world, at the National Climatic Data Center in the Federal Building downtown.

SteveD
Apr 18, 2007, 9:16 PM
:previous: hey! not bad! Great and interesting info about Asheville!

donybrx
Apr 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hazleton, Pa

3rd city to have citywide electric grid
one of the highest elevation cities east of Mississippi

not much...

Judi Giuliani.......er, Judith....and Rudith.......

volguus zildrohar
Apr 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
Philadelphia, PA has or had (from the Wikipedia entry I made months ago):

The Standard List:

-The nation's first botanical garden, public library, hospital, fire engine, fire company, fire insurance company, medical school, pediatric hospital, cancer hospital, eye hospital, secular university, art school & museum, municipal water system, bank, stock exchange, mint, zoo, modern suspension bridge, computer and modern American skyscraper.

-World's largest pipe organ, single arch train shed (twice, still does), masonry supported building and statue atop a building.

-Nation's largest government building and second most registered historic sites (after New York).

-Only other city (post-Revolution) to be America's largest.

-Third oldest subway.

-However it does not have the world's longest straight street and does not have the largest landscaped city park.

I could do some great industrial stuff too. But that's enough dick-wagging for now.

raggedy13
Apr 18, 2007, 10:54 PM
Vancouver:

- Most northwesterly metropolis in the western hemisphere
- birthplace of Greenpeace
- birthplace of Adbusters
- consistently ranked one of the top 3 most livable cities in the world by international surveys
- ranked top city in the Americas by Conde Nast Traveler last two years in a row
- home of the world's largest air-supported domed stadium
- 3rd largest movie production centre in North America after LA and NY
- home to the second largest Chinatown in NA
- home to the second largest trolley bus fleet in NA
- home to the largest port in Canada, second largest on NA west coast, and most diversified port in NA
- home to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the highest and longest suspended footbridge in the world
- home to the first Sikh school in NA, Khalsa
- home to Canada's first shopping centre, Park Royal Mall (1950)
- home to Gastown's Steam Clock, the first modern steam-operated clock in the world
- home to the world's thinnest commercial building, the Sam Kee Building (1913) at 1.5 meters (6 ft)
- in the 1950's, had the most neon signs per capita in the world after Shanghai and was home to the largest neon company in the world

Hoplite330
Apr 19, 2007, 12:09 AM
Judi Giuliani.......er, Judith....and Rudith.......

O yeah forgot that and also birth place to Sarah Knauss previous oldest person alive until her death 33 hours before the year 2000.

donybrx
Apr 19, 2007, 12:58 AM
Philadelphia, PA has or had (from the Wikipedia entry I made months ago):

The Standard List:

-The nation's first botanical garden, public library, hospital, fire engine, fire company, fire insurance company, medical school, pediatric hospital, cancer hospital, eye hospital, secular university, art school & museum, municipal water system, bank, stock exchange, mint, zoo, modern suspension bridge, computer and modern American skyscraper.

-World's largest pipe organ, single arch train shed (twice, still does), masonry supported building and statue atop a building.

-Nation's largest government building and second most registered historic sites (after New York).

-Only other city (post-Revolution) to be America's largest.

-Third oldest subway.

-However it does not have the world's longest straight street and does not have the largest landscaped city park.

I could do some great industrial stuff too. But that's enough dick-wagging for now.

First advertising agency...N.W Ayer..... a source of great pride? well...

KCtoBrooklyn
Apr 19, 2007, 1:06 AM
Kansas City claims to have:

The second most fountains in the world (after Rome)
The second most boulevards in the world (after Paris)

It also has the first modern shopping center designed to accomodate cars (the Country Club Plaza)

Shawn
Apr 19, 2007, 7:07 AM
houston: most CVS's per capita in the solar system.

Ever been to Providence? CVS and Dunkin own like half the property in Rhode Island.

Nutterbug
Apr 19, 2007, 7:18 AM
My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously, these type of threads are usually just "dick measuring" contests and I was being facetious.

Speaking of which, this city probably has the smallest average outside of Asia. :D

JEH-NYC
Apr 19, 2007, 1:00 PM
I believe that NYC has the largest subway rats in the world.

BANKofMANHATTAN
Apr 19, 2007, 2:25 PM
Pittsburgh, PA

has/had the:

First Heart, Liver, Kidney Transplant - December 3, 1989
The first simultaneous heart, liver and kidney transplant was done at Presbyterian-University Hospital.

The First Internet Emoticon - 1980: The Smiley :-) :)
Was the first Internet emoticon, created by Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist Scott Fahlman.

First Robotics Institute - 1979
The Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University was established to conduct basic and applied research in robotics technologies relevant to industrial and societal tasks.

First Mr Yuk Sticker - 1971
"Mr Yuk" was created at the Poison Center at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh after research indicated that the skull and crossbones previously used to identify poisons had little meaning to children who equate the symbol with exciting things like pirates and adventure.

First Night World Series Game - 1971
Game 4 of the 1971 World Series was the first night game in World Series history, a series that Pittsburgh went on to win, 4 games to 3.

First Retractable Dome - September 1961
Pittsburgh's Civic Arena boasts the world's first auditorium with a retractable roof.

First U.S. Public Television Station - April 1, 1954
WQED, operated by the Metropolitan Pittsburgh Educational Station, was the first community-sponsored educational television station in America.

First Polio Vaccine - March 26, 1953
The polio vaccine was developed by Dr. Jonas E. Salk, a 38-year-old University of Pittsburgh researcher and professor.

First All-Aluminum Building - ALCOA - August 1953
The first aluminum-faced skyscraper was the Alcoa Building, a 30-story, 410 foot structure with thin stamped aluminum panels forming the exterior walls.

First Zippo Lighter - 1932
George G. Blaisdell invented the Zippo lighter in 1932 in Bradford, Pennsylvania. The name Zippo was chosen by Blaisdell because he liked the sound of the word "zipper" - which was patented around the same time in nearby Meadville, PA.

First Bingo Game - early 1920's
Hugh J. Ward first came up with the concept of bingo in Pittsburgh and began running the game at carnivals in the early 1920s, taking it nationwide in 1924. He secured a copyright on the game and wrote a book of Bingo rules in 1933.

First U.S. Commercial Radio Station - November 2, 1920
Dr. Frank Conrad, assistant chief engineer of Westinghouse Electric, first constructed a transmitter and installed it in a garage near his home in Wilkinsburg in 1916. The station was licensed as 8XK. At 6 p.m. on Nov. 2, 1920, 8KX became KDKA Radio and began broadcasting at 100 watts from a make-shift shack atop one of the Westinghouse manufacturing buildings in East Pittsburgh.

Daylight Savings Time - March 18, 1919 (Oh Geez! :sly: )
A Pittsburgh city councilman during the first World War, Robert Garland devised the nation's first daylight savings plan, instituted in 1918.

The First Gas Station - December, 1913
In 1913 the first automobile service station, built by Gulf Refining Company, opened in Pittsburgh at Baum Boulevard and St. Clair Street in East Liberty. Designed by J. H. Giesey.

The First Baseball Stadium in the U.S. - 1909
In 1909 the first baseball stadium, Forbes Field, was built in Pittsburgh, followed soon by similar stadiums in Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and New York.

First Motion Picture Theatre - 1905
The first theater in the world devoted to the exhibition of motion pictures was the "Nickelodeon," opened by Harry Davis on Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh.

First Banana Split - 1904
Invented by Dr. David Strickler, a pharmacist, at Strickler's Drug Store in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.

The First World Series - 1903
The Boston Pilgrims defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates five games to three in baseball's first modern World Series in 1903.

First Ferris Wheel - 1892/1893
Invented by Pittsburgh native and civil engineer, George Washington Gale Ferris (1859-1896), the first Ferris Wheel was in operation at the World's Fair in Chicago. It was over 264 feet high and was capable of carrying more than 2,000 passengers at a time.

Long-Distance Electricity - 1885
Westinghouse Electric developed alternating current, allowing long-distance transmission of electricity for the first time.

First Air Brake - 1869
The first practical air brake for railroads was invented by George Westinghouse in the 1860s and patented in 1869.

The fountain at Point State Park, right at the tip of the golden triangle (downtown Pittsburgh) is fed by a glacial formation and sprays 6,000 gallons per minute.

The Carnegie Museum of Art
opened in 1895 as the world's first museum of modern art.

Allegheny County
has more than 1,700 bridges, 720 within city limits, and 15 major bridges crossing downtown Pittsburgh alone.

Movies filmed in Pittsburgh:
The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
Wonder Boys (2000)
Dogma (1999)
Inspector Gadget (1999)
Desperate Measures (1998)
Diabolique (1996)
Kingpin (1996)
Boys on the Side (1995)
Houseguest (1995)
Sudden Death (1995)
Milk Money (1994)
Only You (1994)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Money for Nothing (1993)
Striking Distance (1993)
Hoffa (1992)
Lorenzo's Oil (1992)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh (1988)
Dominick & Eugene (1988)
Robocop (1987)
Gung Ho (1986)
Flashdance (1983)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh (1979)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Angels in the Outfield (1951)

Famous Pittsburgh Products:
Clark Bar
Devonshire Sandwich
Heinz Ketchup
Iron City Beer
Isaly's Chipped Ham
Klondike Bars
Primanti Brothers

Yeungling Brewery, in Pottsville, PA is America's oldest brewery.

pronkjewail
Apr 19, 2007, 4:08 PM
Groningen (182000 inhabitants) has:
-On average the most dutch girls on earth within its boundaries :cool:
-Most cycling on it's streets (at least 40% of all traffic is by bike)
-Bussiest cyclepath of at least the western world.
-Tallest people (together with the surrounding provinces) on earth with an average of 1,88 m.
-Biggest cafe/bar of at least Europe (not proud of that one).:yuck:

Coyett
Apr 19, 2007, 4:47 PM
Taipei Metro:

- World's largest WI-FI network
- World's tallest skyscraper
- World's largest collection of ancient Chinese artifacts
- World's largest sculpture park (1800 pieces)
- World's largest tea museum.
- World's largest gold ingot
- Asia's largest bookstore
- Asia's longest highway tunnel
- Asia's fastest intercity train

http://baba.astro.cornell.edu/images/JuMing.jpg
copyright: Steve Drasco

villelumiere
Apr 19, 2007, 5:16 PM
London

biggest international airport (Heathrow)

biggest transport hub (110 million air passengers pa)

most international airports (5)

most major rail termini (9)

biggest bus network

biggest ringroad (wa-hey!)

biggest ferris wheel

biggest decorative arts museum (V&A 4 million exhibits)

biggest natural history msueum (20 million? exhibits)

biggest antiquities museum (British Museum 6 million exhibits)

biggest club scene (500,000 - 1 million clubbers a night)

biggest underground network (in route km)

biggest dome

biggest fashion store

biggest modern art gallery

most popular art gallery

biggest er, river barrier

most languages spoken (350)

most minorities represented majorly (85)

biggest student population

most protected buildings (25,000)

oldest underground network

most open space/ parkland (87 sq. miles)

most pubs (8000)

most churches (4000)

2nd biggest stadium

2nd biggest castle

2nd biggest carnival (after Rio)

most expensive house

most expensive apartment

most expensive office rents (West End)

most expensive ground (Clerkenwell)

most banks and banking HQ

biggest hedge finds sector

biggest insurance sector

biggest international finance sector

most expensive transport fees

most professional football clubs

most cinema screens (600)

most markets (300)

most galleries (320)

most theatres (120)

most theatre groups (1500) and dance troupes (600)

most museums (350)

oldest zoo

biggest private art collection (the Royal Collection)

biggest arts fair

biggest auction houses

biggest Chinese New Year celebrations outside China (300,000 crowd)

biggest marathon (over 30,000 runners)

biggest boat race (2 boats, 250,000 crowd)

biggest Millennium celebrations (over 3 million crowd)

With great respect muppet several of those are tendentious to say the least.

Most popular art gallery? Louvre perhaps slightly more popular than any UK museum.

Nutterbug
Apr 19, 2007, 6:30 PM
http://baba.astro.cornell.edu/images/JuMing.jpg

This sculpture would look better holding a goalie stick.

Coyett
Apr 19, 2007, 6:54 PM
This sculpture would look better holding a goalie stick.

Perhaps this explains Montreal's fascination with Ju Ming's work. ;)

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=1576,4321944&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

jimthemanincda
Apr 19, 2007, 7:09 PM
Coeur d'Alene, ID (small city, but it has a couple claims to fame...)

-The world's only floating golf green (The five million pound man-made island is moved via steel cables attached to the lake bottom to vary the yardage from 75 to more than 175 yards. After teeing off, a boat ferries golfers out to the green):
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/jamesahailiii/resort-golf-course.jpg

-The world's longest floating boardwalk (It stretches 3/4 of a mile around the Coeur d'Alene Resort):
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/jamesahailiii/untitled.jpg

-The world's longest single-stage gondola (Length of 3.1 miles; at Silver Mountain Resort, 35 minutes east of Coeur d'Alene in Kellogg, Idaho):
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/jamesahailiii/Gondola_Silver-Mnt.jpg

-One of the 5 most beautiful lakes in the world according to National Geographic Magazine:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/jamesahailiii/57e3dcb4.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/jamesahailiii/boat-on-lake-coeur-dalene.jpg

-Home to the first pair of water skis, tested back in 1920

Cirrus
Apr 19, 2007, 7:44 PM
For DC (off the top of my head)...

... Largest building in the world (the Pentagon)

... Tallest pre-Eiffel tower building in the world, & still tallest stone building in the world (Washington Monument)

... 3 of the top 5 most visited museums in the world, including #1 (Air & Space, + #4 Natural History and #5 American History)

... #1 business hotel in the world according to whatever magazine ranks that stuff (Mandarin Oriental)

... First streetcar suburb in America (Chevy Chase), the most well-known New Deal garden city (Greenbelt), the two most well-known 1960s New Towns (Columbia, Reston), and the first non-resort New Urbanist neighborhood (Kentlands).

... Nation's (and probably the world's) foremost university for the deaf (Gallaudet), arguably its foremost historically black university (Howard), and its oldest Catholic university (Georgetown).

... Second most heavily-ridden subway in America.

... Most wealthy majority black county in America (Prince George's)

... Fastest growing (Loudoun) and richest (Fairfax) counties in America for most of the latter 1990s and early 2000s.

... 3rd largest downtown office market in the country and largest suburban activity center (Tysons Corner).

... Chesapeake Bay is the largest estuary is the US.

... And of course, perhaps the most impressive: The most streets named after American states in the world!!!!

muppet
Apr 19, 2007, 11:58 PM
With great respect muppet several of those are tendentious to say the least.

Most popular art gallery? Louvre perhaps slightly more popular than any UK museum.

sorry, youre right most popular modern art gallery - my orginal post had been 'biggest and most popular modern art gallery' but then I divided it and forgot to add 'modern' twice.

Ive re-edited the mistake.

btw those stats took about 3 years worth to accumulate (i kid ye not). Some of them have even gotten bigger in that time eg protected buildings now number over 30,000 not 25,000.

London999
Apr 20, 2007, 12:24 AM
You can also add the world's tallest hospital, the 143m Guy's Hospital, to that list. Our 5 int'l airports handle 138 mppa, not 110.

scguy
Apr 20, 2007, 1:54 AM
Ugliest gay people. Thats just the first thing that came to mind.

Minato Ku
Apr 20, 2007, 9:39 AM
sorry, youre right most popular modern art gallery - my orginal post had been 'biggest and most popular modern art gallery' but then I divided it and forgot to add 'modern' twice.

Ive re-edited the mistake.

btw those stats took about 3 years worth to accumulate (i kid ye not). Some of them have even gotten bigger in that time eg protected buildings now number over 30,000 not 25,000.

Actually Pompidou center is more popular with 5,133,506 vistors. ;)

Defiant6
Apr 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
For Wichita, KS:

Birthplace of Pizza Hut and the first hamburger chain in North America (if not the world at the time), White Castle.

Birthplace of Rent-A-Center

For a long time, largest Boeing presence outside of Seattle.

At one time produced 60% of the world's aircraft.

Home to the largest privately owned company in the US, Koch Industries, which moved ahead of Cargill last year with its acquisition of Invista. Not sure what it ranks in the world stage.

Can't think of anything else world shattering :haha:

Mossonné
Apr 20, 2007, 12:49 PM
Coeur d'Alene, ID (small city, but it has a

-One of the 5 most beautiful lakes in the world according to National Geographic Magazine:

Can you tell what are the other 4, please ?

donybrx
Apr 22, 2007, 12:51 AM
More Philly:

--Oldest continuously inhabited street: Elfreth's Alley.

--Oldest opera house in continuous use; the sumptuous Academy of Music (1857);

--Oldest theater in continuous use: The Walnut Street Theater (1830s);

--first world's fair---the Centennial Exposition of 1876; one amazing building remains in Fairmount Park, being readied to house the children's Please Touch Museum.....

first commodities exchange.....

lawsond
Apr 22, 2007, 1:21 AM
toronto: tee-dot:

the tallest free standing structure in the woooorld....FOR ABOUT SEVEN MORE MONTHS.
dang.
that's about it.
oh...the largest annual fair in the world...the CNE..i think.
and maaaybe...the most multicultural city in the world...over 50,000 cultures represented! ok, i made that up. sue me...us.
most SARS deaths on earth? that's likely.
the second biggest concentration of asians outside...pittsburgh..no, asia, no, san fran...no...new york...forget it.
the biggest NUMBER of chinatowns in north america...we have 6!
the largest city west of oshawa.
equidistant from beijing and beijing (going the other way)
the largest city as far north as us.

daftmax
Apr 22, 2007, 5:10 PM
My city is most beautiful in the world :P ;) .

Actually our city is not as famous as other cities...

=dba=Ronin
Apr 25, 2007, 4:09 AM
Milwaukee has the worlds biggest four-face clock tower at the Allen Bradley complex...yes, even bigger than Big Ben. Plans to install chimes were canceled to allow Big Ben in London, England to remain the largest CHIMING four-faced clock in the world

Also home to the worlds largest drunk...errrm...music fest in the world each summer...Summerfest.

Birthplace of the typewriter, and home to the national bowling headquarters

Pretty sure there is some account of having more cream-colored bricks than anywhere else too, but really, whos counting?

muppet
Apr 25, 2007, 11:15 AM
Actually Pompidou center is more popular with 5,133,506 vistors. ;)

bastards. :cry: Ill have to take it off .

Tate used to be 6 million, its gone down to 4.5 million now.

Pillsbury Doughboy
Apr 25, 2007, 1:17 PM
Augusta has the world's most famous golf club.

alleystreetindustry
Apr 27, 2007, 1:01 AM
hahahaha. atlanta having the most waffle houses per capita. thats funny because today in class, 1/4 people went to a waffle house after prom, including me at 3 in the morning. that makes 300 *drunk teenagers storming every waffle house in east and central atlanta. im going again. and it does seem if you are in the city or out in the suburbs there is a waffle house after every corner you take.

alon504
Apr 27, 2007, 1:12 AM
My City has "the prettiest" neighborhoods in the United States...we have the French Quarter, the Garden District, Audubon Park Area, and Mid-City...all unique and can only be found in New Orleans. I've searched high and low and can not find any comparison.

M. Brown
Apr 27, 2007, 2:24 AM
Manchester, NH has the longest dead end on both ends main street in the United States. (its called Elm St.)

Also Manchester, NH used to have the largest textile mills in the world.

Nutterbug
Apr 27, 2007, 3:43 AM
Apparently, we have the world's largest particle accelerator at TRIUMF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumf

We also apparently have the world's only remaining swiss water decaffeination facility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination#Swiss_Water_Process

Derek
Apr 27, 2007, 5:01 AM
San Diego is the site of the largest naval fleet in the world.

stranger
May 1, 2007, 4:48 AM
Dallas: Biggest airport. Right?

Oklahoma City: Ummm.... that's tough. Most boring city layout? (Streets are all numbered and exactly one mile apart)

jwt86
May 30, 2007, 5:41 AM
Austin -

Largest university art museum in the country (world?) - Blanton Museum of Art at UT-Austin (180,000+ sq ft, over 17000 works of art)

(Soon to be) Fastest academic supercomputer in the world - 'Ranger', the 400+ Teraflops supercomputer at UT-Austin's Texas Advanced Computing Center

World's first photograph - "View from the Window at Le Gras", Joseph Nicephore Niepce, 1826, Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

Oldest printed book in the World/Most expensive printed book in the world - Gutenberg Bible, 1454 (valued at $20-$30 million) - Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

First book printed in English - "Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye", 1473, Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

Shakespeare's First Folio - (3 copies!) - Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

First edition suppressed 'Alice in Wonderland' (1 of 23 surviving copies), The $1 million "India Alice", Ransom Humanities Center at UT-Austin

Largest collection of James Joyce's 'Ulysses' holdings in the world, Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

Largest Modern French Collection in the world (outside the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris) - Carlton Lake Collection; including a priceless first edition 'Les Fleurs du mal' by Baudelaire among many others, Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin

Largest collection of 19th and 20th century British manuscripts and rare books in the world outside the British Library - Ransom Humanities Research Center at UT-Austin (per the London Times, London Independent, and New York Times)

Largest collection of rare books on a university campus (larger than Harvard's Houghton and Yale's Beneicke) - UT-Austin's 1 million rare book, 30 million manuscript, $1 billion appraised (per the NY Times), Ransom Humanities Research Center

Largest rare book and manuscript Latin American collection in the world on a university campus (encompassing all regions of Central and South America) - UT's Benson Latin American collection

Largest performing arts complex on a university campus - Performing Arts Center, UT-Austin (complex of 6 venues of varying size from 200 to 3000 seats)

Most visited presidential library in the US - Lyndon Baines Johnson Library, UT-Austin

Rusty van Reddick
May 30, 2007, 6:13 AM
My City has "the prettiest" neighborhoods in the United States...we have the French Quarter, the Garden District, Audubon Park Area, and Mid-City...all unique and can only be found in New Orleans. I've searched high and low and can not find any comparison.

Every city has neighbourhoods that are unique to that city. We don't move neighbourhoods around.

But as to your claim- try Mobile. It has many physical similarities to NO, including the Mardi Gras that originated there in North America, not in NO.

Top Of The Park
May 30, 2007, 10:37 AM

...and I thought you were serious. I had just bought myself new glasses and a airline ticket to LA. :jester:

On a serious front, Colorado Springs has the most bible thumping, evolution denying, fish bumper emblem, religious zealots per square mile than any southern city in the US of A...:frog:

Okstate
May 31, 2007, 9:54 PM
Although, incorrectly stated on emporis, Tulsa has the tallest hospital london999... at 198 meters.http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=118139

trueviking
Jun 2, 2007, 12:54 AM
toronto:

the largest city as far north as us.

only if you ignore, paris, london, moscow and essen.

trueviking
Jun 2, 2007, 1:10 AM
lots of people here are forgetting that the sentence needs to end "in the world"...not in the US, or whatever.

winnipeg is the world's largest wheat market.

winnipeg annually consumes the world's most slurpees (8 years running)

winnipeg has the third coldest winters in the world (cites greater than half a million)

winnipeg has the greatest number of elm trees in the world.

the royal winnipeg ballet was the world's first 'royal' ballet.

winnipeg was the first city in the world with a 911 emergency phone number.

BnaBreaker
Jun 2, 2007, 4:57 AM
Nashville is....

- Home to the longest running radio program in the world.

- Home to the nation's oldest African-American architecture firm.

- Home to the nation's oldest African-American financial institution.

- Home to the nation's first African-American institution of higher learning.

- Home to the only exact replica of The Parthenon in the world.

- Home to the largest population of Kurds in the Western Hemisphere.

- The recipient of the nation's first FM license.

- The site of the deadliest train wreck in US history

- The site of the nation's first urban renewal project

- Home to the world's largest nativity scene

- Site of the world's first air mail (by balloon to nearby Gallatin)

- Site of the world's first nighttime airplane flight

- Site of the first session of the United Nations away from New York City

- Home to the largest indoor statue in the western world

bnk
Jun 2, 2007, 5:26 AM
World’s Largest Water Treatment Plant

http://www.algor.com/news_pub/cust_app/jardine/images/Aerial.jpg

http://www.algor.com/news_pub/cust_app/jardine/jardine.asp

Nearly one billion gallons of water are processed on an average day at James W. Jardine Water Purification Plant, which is located next to Navy Pier in Chicago, Illinois. This plant and the South Water Purification Plant serve nearly 5 million consumers in the City of Chicago and 118 outlying suburbs. Engineers at the plant are using ALGOR’s complete suite of simulation tools to formulate modifications that improve the water purification process.

Jardine Water Purification Plant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jardine Water Purification Plant, formerly the Central District Filtration Plant, is the largest capacity water filtration plant in the world, located at 1000 East Ohio Street north of Navy Pier in Chicago. It draws raw water from two of the city's water cribs far offshore in Lake Michigan and sends nearly one billion gallons of water a day to consumers in the north and central portions of the city. The southern portion of the city is served by a separate plant, the South Water Purification Plant. Together the two plants supply water to about 5 million people in the city and 118 suburbs[1].

Man it is great to live next to one of the worlds largest bodies of fresh water in the world. Got to love those half hour showers.;)

http://p.vtourist.com/1888583-Water_Canon_on_Chicago_River-Chicago.jpg

I waste more water by 10am than you will spend most of you will in entire week.:haha:

texcolo
Jun 2, 2007, 5:28 AM
For Wichita, KS:

Birthplace of Pizza Hut and the first hamburger chain in North America (if not the world at the time), White Castle.

Birthplace of Rent-A-Center

For a long time, largest Boeing presence outside of Seattle.

At one time produced 60% of the world's aircraft.

Home to the largest privately owned company in the US, Koch Industries, which moved ahead of Cargill last year with its acquisition of Invista. Not sure what it ranks in the world stage.

Can't think of anything else world shattering :haha:

It's the Air Capital of the World, and the birthplace of Jack White of the White Stripes.

I'M GOING TO WICHITA...:banana:

one very bored guy
Jun 2, 2007, 8:31 AM
Nashville is....

- Home to the largest indoor statue in the world

Interesting, more details on these two?

BnaBreaker
Jun 2, 2007, 9:26 AM
Interesting, more details on these two?

First of all, I actually accidentally left out something quite important, and that is my mistake. It's actually the largest indoor statue in the westernized world. Still quite a lofty title though in my opinion.

Anyway, here are a few photos:

The Parthenon
http://www.yorku.ca/anderson/Inauthentic_Places/Images/Nashville%20Parthenon/Nashville%20Parthenon.jpg
http://lastheplace.com/images/article-images/writers/Tyler_K/Nashville/Parthenon_Nashville_lake.jpg
http://www.siu.edu/~dfll/classics/DMJ/Images/nashville/entrance.jpg

And here is the 42ft. gold plated statue of Athena that sits inside of it:
http://williamhenry.net/stargateprk_files/image017.jpg

sprtsluvr8
Jun 2, 2007, 1:33 PM
Atlanta:

1. Home of the world's largest exposed mass of granite - Stone Mountain.
2. Home of the world's largest relief carving.
3. Annual host of the world's largest poultry convention.
4. Home of the largest Farmer's Market of its kind in the world.
5. Home of the world's largest fast-food restaurant - The Varsity.
6. The Atlanta Braves were the first team to finish last in its division one year and go to the World Series the next.
7. Home of the world's first and largest 24/7 news network - CNN.
8. Home of the world's largest oil painting - The Cyclorama.
9. Home of the world's most famous soft drink - Coca-Cola.
10. Home of the world's largest 10 km race - The Peachtree Roadrace.
11. Home of the world's largest home improvement retailer - The Home Depot.

Nutterbug
Jun 2, 2007, 2:45 PM
Nashville is....

- Home to the longest running radio program in the world.

- Home to the nation's oldest African-American architecture firm.

- Home to the nation's oldest African-American financial institution.

- Home to the nation's first African-American institution of higher learning.

- Home to the largest population of Kurds in the Western Hemisphere.

- The recipient of the nation's first FM license.

- The site of the deadliest train wreck in US history

- The site of the nation's first urban renewal project

- Home to the world's largest nativity scene

- Site of the world's first air mail (by balloon to nearby Gallatin)

- Site of the world's first nighttime airplane flight

- Site of the first session of the United Nations away from New York City

- Home to the largest indoor statue in the western world

Nothing about country music?

Urban Zombie
Jun 2, 2007, 2:56 PM
My city has the biggest chinatown in the world.

UglymanCometh
Jun 2, 2007, 3:29 PM
I think Detroit has the shortest 3di (three-digit interstate, I-375 in Downtown) in the world.

BnaBreaker
Jun 2, 2007, 4:24 PM
Nothing about country music?

World's largest producer of country music? I figured that was kind of a given.