PDA

View Full Version : 'McMansions' face a tough sell

MNdude
Apr 14, 2007, 3:13 AM
'McMansions' face a tough sell

The Twin Cities has an oversupply of high-end homes, as the nation's largest luxury builder is discovering.

By David Peterson, Star Tribune
At a time when Eagan came under some criticism for letting one of its prettiest pieces of open space be sold for luxury homes, Nancy and Eric Tschida had a different concern. They were worried they would miss out.

"The way the developer was talking, we thought there'd be a lottery for a chance to buy a place," Nancy said.

Today, however, gazing out their sweeping back windows toward an expanse of bare ground, they're left to wonder what happened. "Maybe there isn't that much demand for homes in this price range," Nancy said.

Toll Brothers, the nation's biggest luxury home developer, extended its empire to the Twin Cities with a burst of optimism two years ago. Now, eight months after the first home sales at Steeplechase of Eagan, the Pennsylvania company associated more than any other with the nickname "McMansion" finds itself caught in a tough period locally for high-end sales.

In the Eagan development, only a trickle of folks have moved in.

The metro area has an oversupply of high-end homes, judging by the time they spend on the market. Using the yardstick of how long it would take for all homes in a certain price bracket on the market to sell -- five months' supply is considered ideal -- the figure for homes costing $1 million and more has risen from 13 months a year ago to 19 months today. For homes valued from $500,000 to $1 million, supply rose from eight months' worth to 11.

Nationally, Toll Brothers has suffered much less than its hard-hit industry peers during the past year, but its stock price is still down substantially.

"It's a tough time to break into this market," said Tony Ashworth, a broker with RHS Realty, which has offices in Eagan and surrounding cities. "It doesn't matter who you are."

He rates Steeplechase's performance about on par with comparable projects in the metro area, and expects it -- with an attractive site and a convenient location -- to be fine in the long run.

The company also has a development underway in Maple Grove, where things are also slow, and a site near Prior Lake, of which Michael Noonan, Toll's Minnesota division president, simply said, "We're rethinking that project." Maple Grove officials report that a year after final approval, they've issued permits for only nine homes on a site designed for 200.

Disputing 'McMansion' label

Toll Brothers dislikes the term "McMansion." Salespeople for the Eagan project say they outlaw cookie-cutter construction, meaning they won't build identical facades side by side.

But, of the big national firms producing thousands of homes from standard patterns in dozens of states, Toll Brothers is the only one in the luxury niche, with average prices far higher than any other firm. Base prices start around $600,000, but buyers say add-ons add up fast.

"You look at the wonderful model, and don't realize that everything you're seeing is an 'add-on,' " said Susan Dub, a computer industry executive who recently moved into a carriage home at Steeplechase of Eagan.

Although few buyers have moved in yet -- 10 townhomes are occupied of the 95 planned -- the company has sold another 24 and has deposits on a few more, Noonan said.

"Is that slower than we would like?" Absolutely," he said. "We would love to have sold them all by now. But it's a market challenging to all builders."

Among the challenges: as much as a family might want to buy, it first needs to sell what it has. And that's tough in a market in which buyers are waiting for markdowns. Just ask the Tschidas.

"We put our old house on market last spring," Nancy said, "and it took six months to sell. We had to make double mortgage payments for a couple of months. It was a little stressful. And we had to drop our price by a lot."

'Nice incentives'

Happily, some buyers say, Toll Brothers had to be flexible as well.

"They've offered some nice incentives from a pricing perspective," said Dave Gagne, an executive who sold a $1 million house in Inver Grove Heights and expects to move into a 4,000-square-foot luxury townhome along a creek at Steeplechase within six months. "They threw in a couple of substantial options that probably saved me 5 to 7 percent."

New owners seem unconcerned about the pace of sales. Toll Brothers has various means of trumpeting sales when they do occur, encouraging a sense of momentum: Signs on lots make the point, and Monopoly-like houses on pins change color on a big map of the development inside the model home.

The model is a jaw-dropper, with its own home theater, video arcade, 18-foot ceilings and hand-scraped walnut floorboards that look as if they'd been retrieved from Mount Vernon or some other historic stately home.

And if most people's actual homes are a bit more real -- "I can only afford so many flat-screen TVs," Dub told a friend as she moved in, after being gently mocked for the old-fashioned version on the kitchen counter -- buyers say they appreciate what some call East Coast or Southern touches of an out-of-town builder, including 5-inch white trim everywhere.

All in all, said Nancy Tschida, "we are very, very happy here," in their 6,200 square feet of space. "We had some negotiating power, as early buyers, and got a good deal."

David Peterson • 612-673-4440 • dapeterson@startribune.com

©2007 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1120078.html

donybrx
Apr 14, 2007, 2:59 PM
Gosh...who in their right mind could have predicted this outcome ?????

Apart from the average 15 year old, that is......

aaron38
Apr 14, 2007, 6:17 PM
Good. Nothing chews up the farmland like the gated McMansion communities. They sprawl out, and because the exurban villages want to remain 'rural', they all have to be on 5 acre lots.
A pause in the sprawl would be quite welcome.

Dear Leader VI
Apr 15, 2007, 1:49 AM
Toll Brothers dislikes the term "McMansion." Salespeople for the Eagan project say they outlaw cookie-cutter construction, meaning they won't build identical facades side by side.

I love this quote! What they really mean is, "Here's our cartoon version of a colonial house, next to a cartoon of a Southwestern home, next to a cartoon of a Tuscan-style home." Never mind that they all have the same repeating floorplans or that they're all painted neutral colors so as to discourage individuality. I can't wait to see how hard Toll Brothers, D.R. Horton, and others get slammed by the subprime mortgage and housing market nightmares. Serves 'em right for destroying America.

Major AWACS
Apr 15, 2007, 9:19 AM
Houston is having a bit of the opposite problem:

April 14, 2007, 11:48PM
$1 million pad not what it used to be

By LISA GRAY
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

As an economic indicator, consider this: Two years into its latest economic boom, Houston is spawning rich people even faster than it's sprouting McMansions.

Not long ago, a million-dollar property here declared that you were a major player, a colossus bestriding River Oaks. Now it's hard to find a good house in that price range — and don't even think about a stately manor with bayou frontage.

"I was out last week with an out-of-town client," lamented Realtor Janie Miller. "River Oaks was picked clean. Memorial was picked clean. Tanglewood, Southampton, West U. — picked clean. Prices are ridiculous."

It's the sort of problem I'd like to have. Savoring it vicariously, I followed Realtor Texas Anderson as she cruised lunchtime open houses in West U., scouring the neighborhood for million-plus offerings that might interest her clients. As we inspected a four-bedroom, 4,000-square-foot house listed at just over a million, Anderson ticked off the earmarks of recent construction: stone countertops, formals, great room, master bedroom with his-and-hers walk-in closets and a cavernous master bath.

Someone had thoughtfully furnished the yawning space between the Jacuzzi and the marble-topped sink with a big round ottoman: a place for the weary to rest while crossing the vast lavatory expanse.

But Anderson looked unimpressed. As mansions go, the million-dollar house was entry-level, nice but not that nice. For the sake of comparison, she planned to show me a $2 million house in nearby Southampton, but a note stuck to the door declared that we were too late. The open house was canceled. The house was under contract.

Buzzing market

Business was likewise brisk at Martha Turner Realty. Martha Turner herself handed me a sheaf of printouts showing million-dollar-plus sales so far this year. Many of the most active neighborhoods cluster along Memorial Drive, moving west from old-line River Oaks through newly hot Crestwood, then past Memorial Park to long-fashionable Tanglewood, Hunters Creek and Piney Point. In Hunters Creek and Piney Point, Turner said, a nothing-special 1950s house, 1,500 to 2,500 square feet, can sell for $800,000. Nine months later, that house will be gone, and the new one on the lot will command $2.4 million. In Tanglewood, any house under $1 million is a teardown.

On soil that rich, houses grow to enormous sizes. At a sales meeting last week, one of Turner's Realtors requested help. Clients relocating from the Northeast had $3 million to spend — but they did not want more than 6,000 square feet. "Virtually impossible," said Turner. In that price range, builders drop below 8,000 square feet only for a custom job. Perhaps, Turner suggested, the family could buy something normal and close off a wing.

If you can't get your heart's desire for $3 million, what does it take?

Up in the stratosphere, prices are dizzying. The most expensive property on the Houston market is a Memorial house whose pool can be covered with a glass floor for parties; the asking price tops $38 million. Or for $19.9 million, you could buy the priciest house listed on HAR.com — 21,000 square feet of Piney Point pleasure dome.

It's no wonder Realtor Cindy Burns feels giddy. She e-mailed me a memo, titled "Would you believe???????," in which she listed features of houses she and other Martha Turner Realtors have sold in the past 2½ years.

With amusement, she ticked off gender-balanced features. A cigar room for him offsets a yoga room for her. He swings on a backyard putting green; she sips in a glass-enclosed tea room. One house even has separate his-and-hers garages.

Amenities galore
A Sub-Zero fridge? Big whoop. Consider instead multiple kitchens: the swank main one augmented with an outdoor kitchen by the pool, or a special set-up for the caterers, or a kitchen designated solely to serve the master bedroom.

Indoor basketball courts? Burns knows one with a parquet floor, cathedral ceiling, bleachers and locker rooms.

She's no longer wowed by swimming-pool fiber-optic lighting, the kind programmed to make the water glow a different color every few minutes. But even she was amazed to find such a system embedded in …a bathtub.

Ah, the ever-changing glow of private excess. Right now in Houston, that glow is very, very bright. And if you want your house to look like a million bucks, it'll cost you a lot more than a million.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, In China they still market "Black People Toothpaste"...

Chicago103
Apr 15, 2007, 7:51 PM
Serves 'em right for destroying America.

As houses get bigger families get smaller and more distant from each other. Family values? It's sprawl that destroyed family values in America but you see the average idiot would rather blame external abstracts like gay marriage, violent video games or sex on TV than look at their own lifestyles. There is much irony in sprawl and McMansions being marketed as family friendly, is a classic example of the poison being marketed as the cure and there are plenty of sheep around to drink the kool-aid!

miketoronto
Apr 15, 2007, 8:02 PM
I have no desire for a McMansion or even an upper class neighbourhood.

Give me a normal middle class neighbourhood with average size houses, and I would be fine :)

Tex1899
Apr 16, 2007, 2:58 AM
I have no desire for a McMansion or even an upper class neighbourhood.

Give me a normal middle class neighbourhood with average size houses, and I would be fine :)

You can probably ask 10 different people to define an "average size house" and I bet you'd get at least 7 different answers. Same thing with "normal middle class neighborhood"...

I picked up a real estate magazine when I was in Boston in '01; homes in the $400k's were referred to as "starter homes." In Houston, a "starter home" will run $120k-180k, depending on how popular the area is.