View Full Version : Top 10 underrated U.S. cities

Pages : [1] 2

MNdude
Apr 11, 2007, 3:44 PM
Top 10 underrated U.S. cities

Sure, N.Y., Chicago, S.F. are nice, but don't overlook these smaller locales

Sherman's Travel
Updated: 10:17 a.m. CT April 11, 2007
Everyone knows cities like New York, San Francisco, and Chicago are among the best in the U.S., but there are many other fabulous — albeit smaller — American cities that just don't get their fair share of the limelight. Whether their proximity to a bigger city steals their thunder or a recent city makeover remains undiscovered by the masses, the cities on our list are oft-overlooked by even the savviest of travelers. If you're looking to broaden the scope of your trips to include some less-talked-about places with great art scenes, friendly locals, delectable cuisine, and rich history, add one of our ten most underrated cities to your "must-see" list.

1. Baltimore
Native blue crabs seasoned with Old Bay are reason enough to visit Baltimore, but there's much more to experience in this waterfront town. Take, for example, the city's revitalized Inner Harbor area; the upscale neighborhood of Mount Vernon, home to the original Washington Monument; and Harbor East, where a number of hotels and restaurants are opening their doors. Its new, contemporary look aside, you can still discover some 300 years of American history along Baltimore's cobblestone streets — not only was the "Star Spangled Banner" written here, but abolitionist Frederick Douglass lived and worked in the historic waterfront community of Fells Point in the 1830s — and track down the settings for John Waters' films (“Hairspray,” “Pink Flamingos” and “Female Trouble,” among many others, were all shot here). Sports fans will also find no shortage of outlets, since Baltimore is also home to both the Orioles baseball team and Preakness, the second leg of the Triple Crown.

2. Fort Lauderdale
Say goodbye to its days as a raucous spring-break spot — today's Fort Lauderdale is all about upscale beach chic, as confirmed by the swanky new hotels — the St. Regis Resort and W Hotel among them — set to open in the next 12 months. Stroll the stunning seaside promenade and comb a strand of sand that rivals Miami Beach, then set out for some irresistible shopping, and finally cap off your day with a culinary feast at one of the city's stellar international restaurants. Combined with a surprisingly sophisticated arts and museum scene, an extensive yachting and golfing network, and one of America's top gay and lesbian scenes, Fort Lauderdale's status as Florida's fashionable destination du jour is long overdue.

3. Houston
Houston is proof that everything is indeed bigger in Texas. While better known for its big business and energy interests, this sprawling city also hosts top-notch orchestra, opera, and ballet companies, a dynamic theater scene, great museums, and the world-renowned NASA Space Center. Shopping reigns supreme here — you'll find a huge concentration of shops and above-par outlet malls — and its cosmopolitan restaurant scene expands upon the state's traditional Tex-Mex offerings. Bold and impressive architecture helps define the cityscape, too — including the mammoth Astrodome — making this fourth-largest U.S. city a true star in the Lone Star State.

4. Kansas City
With downtown's multi-billion-dollar face-lift, pedestrian-friendly boulevards, and claim to having the most fountains of any city outside of Rome, Kansas City is definitely deserving of buzz. Plus, history buffs can learn about the city's pioneer roots at the Arabia Steamboat Museum, while sports fans can visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, a tribute to the excellent athletes forced to play in segregated leagues. Blues and jazz clubs also abound in this city where musicians like Count Basie and Charlie Parker got their start, particularly in the historic 18th and Vine District, where the American Jazz Museum is located. Once you've worked up an appetite, you're also in for a treat, as this Midwestern city also boasts some of the county's best barbecue.

5. Louisville
The Kentucky Derby may be its claim to fame, but the famous horse race isn't all Louisville has to offer. Nestled on the banks of the Ohio River, this Southern city has loads of small-town charm, a cosmopolitan riverfront district, a diverse art scene (thanks to the Kentucky Center for the Arts), and a growing foodie market with its own Restaurant Row. Sports lovers should make a stop at the Louisville Slugger Museum; thrill-seekers, take a ride on the world's longest stand up coaster at Kentucky Kingdom; and history lovers, sip mint juleps on a river cruise aboard the Belle of Louisville, a National Historic Landmark.

6. Minneapolis
When you think "Midwest architectural mecca" the first city that springs to mind is probably Chicago. But a burst of new buildings from the world's top architects — Herzog & de Meuron's Walker Art Center expansion, Jean Nouvel's new Guthrie Theater, Michael Graves' addition to the Institute of Arts — reinforces the fact that Minneapolis's cultural cachet doesn't entirely depend upon Prince (the city's most notorious native son). The city's revitalization has spread to banks of the Mississippi, where the booming Mill District has shops, restaurants, and boutique hotels catering to style-savvy travelers, many of whom come for the tax-free shopping.

7. Pittsburgh
Forget Pittsburgh's reputation for smokestacks and steel, because today the city is sparkling with pristine parks, architectural assets, and three rivers flowing into downtown's "Golden Triangle." Several museums — the Carnegie Museum of Art among them — are worth hitting, but don't miss the Andy Warhol Museum featuring over 12,000 of his works. A treasure trove of used books is found on the city's South Side, while nightlife is suddenly sizzling in neighborhoods like Oakland and the Strip District, thanks to thousands of college students from Carnegie Mellon (among others) and young professionals dancing and mingling in the bars and clubs.

8. Portland
It's a fantastic jumping-off point for a Pacific Northwest vacation — with proximity to the Oregon coast, Mount Hood, and Willamette Valley wine country — but there's much to see in the city limits too, as the "City of Roses" boasts beauty and culture aplenty. A stop at the Portland Art Museum is a must for art enthusiasts, as is the monthly "First Thursdays" tour when galleries stay open late. Portland boasts more breweries per capita than any other city in the U.S. — 28 in all — so beer lovers will also find plenty of places to sip suds. The promise of tax-free shopping, plus the bustling Saturday outdoor food and arts market (from late March to December), means plenty of retail therapy here too.

9. Providence
The "Renaissance City," of Providence, Rhode Island's capital, has indeed been reborn in the last decade, as residents have reclaimed derelict buildings and two of the city's three rivers, created waterside walkways, and welcomed brand-name shopping. Today, visitors can take a gondola ride through downtown or, on Saturdays between May and September, enjoy the light of 100 bonfires along Providence's three rivers as part the WaterFires events — an evening fire sculpture set to music. When you add in a burgeoning dining scene, rich New England history, a monthly gallery night, and a renowned performing-arts scene, Providence seems tailor-made for a quick and fulfilling getaway.

10. Sacramento
Governor Schwarzenegger's much-ballyhooed magnetism aside, California's capital has never had the same allure as say, San Fran or L.A. But with an increasingly sophisticated food scene — think farm-fresh Bolognese cuisine at Biba or maple-glazed pork chops at the clubby Esquire Grill (one of Ahnold's favorite restaurants) — this agricultural hub appeals to even the snobbiest city-slicker. Between bites, take in the Gold Rush-era charms of Old Sacramento, bike along the banks of the Sacramento and American Rivers, and stroll amid downtown's stately Victorian homes and tall evergreens. You may even catch a glimpse of the "Governator" himself at the impressive capitol building. Wash it all down with a visit to the Sierra Foothill wineries in the Shenandoah Valley — a mere 45-minute drive to the east.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18024681/

Peanuthead
Apr 11, 2007, 3:56 PM
Houston...this sprawling city

Funny how when a travel magazine writes it it sounds almost good :)

urban_encounter
Apr 11, 2007, 3:59 PM
Sacramento has made a lot of progress in the past 10 years, and the downtown/midtown/waterfront areas have a number of projects in the pipeline to continue the momentum for the next five (+) years or more...

Glad to see they mentioned the dining scene, because the dining and entertainment options have skyrocketed in the downtown/midtown grid.

Midtown Sacramento's gay district of Lavendar Height's is probably one of the few gay districts in the country seeing such a large concentrated building boom of new dance clubs and bars etc.........

Cirrus
Apr 11, 2007, 4:18 PM
^
Didn't read. Bold hurts my eyes.

Modern Design
Apr 11, 2007, 4:23 PM
i don´t think houston is a underrated city....I would choose San Antonio as texas underrated city...I agree with Kansas City, definately a great city most people tend to ignore.
some cities not listed that i think are underrated:
Denver
Milwaukee
Charlotte,NC
Tampa
Cincinnati
Atlanta(to some extent)

ColDayMan
Apr 11, 2007, 4:32 PM
I would argue that Fort Worth is Texas' underrated city, actually.

Modern Design
Apr 11, 2007, 4:40 PM
I would argue that Fort Worth is Texas' underrated city, actually.

I forgot about Fort Worth..yes definately underrated:tup:

Frisco_Zig
Apr 11, 2007, 5:10 PM
I think Oakland, which has a bad rep, is actually quite nice in many parts

MolsonExport
Apr 11, 2007, 5:16 PM
Where the hell is Wheeling? One of the most underrated cities in America!

BTinSF
Apr 11, 2007, 5:51 PM
Without having a clue what their criteria are, I can name quite a few cities that extremely "nice" and not NY, Chicago or SF:

1. Annapolis, MD
2. Charleston, SC
3. Savannah, GA
4. Augusta, GA
5. Seattle, WA
6. Portland, OR
7. New Orleans, LA :drowning:
8. Galveston, TX
9. Eureka, CA
10. San Diego, CA
11. Chattanooga, TN

That's enough for now.

BnaBreaker
Apr 11, 2007, 5:59 PM
There are tons of underrated cities in my opinion, but these ten work for me. Although, no underrated cities list is complete for me without my home state personal favorites of Memphis and Chattanooga.

initiald
Apr 11, 2007, 6:02 PM
When I first saw the threat title, Baltimore jumped into my head. Sure, the city has problems with crime and such, but the Inner Harbor, Little Italy, and Fell's Point areas are great. I was very suprised by the wonderful downtown area, and it has become one of my favorite cities to visit.

brickell
Apr 11, 2007, 6:18 PM
I'd argue that Fort Lauderdale has always been a destination and is no way overlooked. Other than that I don't see a reason to visit any of them. Baltimore might make a nice day trip from DC and Providence is a beauty when paired with Newport and the rest of Rhode Island, but KC and Sacromento? I'd rather just go to NYC again. They may be fine places to live and underated in that sense, but that's not what the writer seems to be going for.

BT's list is much better in terms of travel and vacation. I'd add Sarasota, FL as well.

Evergrey
Apr 11, 2007, 6:26 PM
Where the hell is Wheeling? One of the most underrated cities in America!

Good point. This list is bunk.

BTinSF
Apr 11, 2007, 6:27 PM
BT's list is much better in terms of travel and vacation. I'd add Sarasota, FL as well.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a Florida city that was "nice" as opposed to "fabulous". Sarasota may be best and also Ft. Myers. I didn't think of them--I was thinking of Pensacola but that's too "beachy". Personally, I like a lot of small Florida towns like Palatka but they aren't "cities".

urban_encounter
Apr 11, 2007, 7:13 PM
^
Didn't read. Bold hurts my eyes.

Better now?

;)

TheMeltyMan
Apr 11, 2007, 7:18 PM
I can only really vouch for Baltimore as being underrated. Its the NE corridor's fifth fiddle. I grew up two hours from the city and nobody ever bothered visiting the place.

trvlr70
Apr 11, 2007, 7:19 PM
Without having a clue what their criteria are, I can name quite a few cities that extremely "nice" and not NY, Chicago or SF:

1. Annapolis, MD
2. Charleston, SC
3. Savannah, GA
4. Augusta, GA
5. Seattle, WA
6. Portland, OR
8. Galveston, TX
9. Eureka, CA
10. San Diego, CA
11. Chattanooga, TN

That's enough for now.I think you're missing the point. Everybody already knows that San Diego, Charleston, New Orleans and Savannah, for example, are great cities. I believe the article is about cities that people don't generally think of as being "nice" which are better than expected.

In the spirit of the article, I wholeheartedly agree about Houston. I can't for the life of me understand why it gets so little respect on this thread. It's full of awesome architecture, cool urban neighborhoods, trendy areas, etc.. People just need to get over the fact that it's car-oriented and accept that.

Mr Roboto
Apr 11, 2007, 7:45 PM
Wheres Milwaukee? The Ill-mil is definitely underrated. I agree Portland is underrated, a very urban city that does mass-transit right.

ginsan2
Apr 11, 2007, 8:26 PM
I think that Los Angeles should have been mentioned as a great city. I certainly love it, and it is underappreciated :tup:

Peanuthead
Apr 11, 2007, 8:33 PM
I noticed that as well...so if it's not a Great City or and Underrated one then what is it... just a mediocre city?

Chicago2020
Apr 11, 2007, 8:49 PM
SAN DIEGO

bricky
Apr 11, 2007, 9:14 PM
On this board, I think Boston is underrated. An almost perfect gem of a medium-sized urban area. I can't think of a better, similar-sized city in the world. In America, SF would be something of a counterpart (but more spread out, less dense, more naturally beautiful, and of course with a more laid-back California vibe).

ctman987
Apr 11, 2007, 9:25 PM
I know this list was made for travel purposes but I also look at these cities urban areas with new opprtunities to live and work in.

Ive only been to Providence and Baltimore so I will only talk about them...

Providence has truly revamped itself over the last 20 or so years. Downtown is filled with new activity. The Providence Place Mall opened a few years ago along with the Rhode Island Convention Center and Westin Hotel. It then took a few years for more development to take shape..but now it is. Old buildings are being converted into condos, new residential towers are under construction, hotels are expanding, a new botique hotel opened recently and jobs are stable...GTECH recently moved their headquarters from the suburbs to a brand new office tower they built. Even outside of downtown there is activity. College Hill is a mix of Nantucket and the Back Bay and is home to Brown University and the RI School of Design. Over on Atwells Avenue is Little Italy which can compete with New York's and Boston's Little Italy's. Olneyville is an old manufactoring neighborhood where many old factories and mills are being converted into office, retail and residential space.

Baltimore gets a bad rap but it truly is a great city. The Inner Harbor is filled with people. There is the Maryland Science Center, Baltimore Aquarium, Baltimore Maritime Museum, PowerPlant Live, the World Trade Center, shops, restaurants, clubs and major corporate tenants. There is more to this city though. Stroll about 8 blocks uptown from the inner harbor and there is the Mount Vernon neighborhood home to the first Washington Memorial. There are historic buildings and townhouses as well as shops and restaurants and the campus of the University of Baltimore. A short ride on a water taxi from the Inner Harbor is Fells Point and Canton..both within the city limits. Fells Point is an old fishing neighborhood thats filled with inns, shops, restaurants, lofts and is a stop on the water taxi.

Evergrey
Apr 11, 2007, 9:36 PM
Wheres Milwaukee? The Ill-mil is definitely underrated. I agree Portland is underrated, a very urban city that does mass-transit right.

Milwaukee is so underrated it doesn't even make the "most underrated" lists.

TheMeltyMan
Apr 11, 2007, 9:38 PM
Los Angeles and Boston aren't overrated. I really can't say much else beyond that. Same goes most every city mentioned in this thread.

Frisco_Zig
Apr 11, 2007, 10:00 PM
On this board, I think Boston is underrated. An almost perfect gem of a medium-sized urban area. I can't think of a better, similar-sized city in the world. In America, SF would be something of a counterpart (but more spread out, less dense, more naturally beautiful, and of course with a more laid-back California vibe).

I assume you are refering to the Urban area of the Bay Area vs Greater Boston?

SF city is denser than Boston

Evergrey
Apr 11, 2007, 10:04 PM
On this board, I think Boston is underrated. An almost perfect gem of a medium-sized urban area. I can't think of a better, similar-sized city in the world.

hmmm... I have to disagree with this... Boston may be the best city in its class in the US... but throw Boston against 1000 similar sized (or smaller) cities in Europe and it will be crushed. US cities simply cannot compete with European cities. Take a look at that photo thread of unknown 2nd tier Polish cities... all of them have urban cores that destroy anything in the US. Boston is certainly not a perfect gem either... it's suffered terribly at the hands of 20th century urban renewal... much like the rest of the country.

KB0679
Apr 12, 2007, 6:47 AM
This list actually sounds pretty spot on, at least for me. I could also throw Salt Lake City, Tampa, Richmond, Philadelphia, and Omaha in there as well.

edluva
Apr 12, 2007, 6:56 AM
Thanks to people like Woody Allen, LA's cultural validity is probably the most underrated of all large cities in the US

fflint
Apr 12, 2007, 7:43 AM
Boston is less densely populated than San Francisco, and the Boston metro is less dense than the Bay Area.

pdxtex
Apr 12, 2007, 9:22 AM
Portland is a terrible place. Don't come here. Its over run with trash, ferrel cats, rude people, republicans, it rains 10 months out of the year and the other two are cloudy. The city government is oppressive, the roads are in shambles, and it floods nearly 4 times each winter....Go to Seattle, you will like it much better.

MarkDaMan
Apr 12, 2007, 3:20 PM
^:haha:

don't forget the tree hugging, granola eating, latte loving, urban minded, hybrid driving, wind powered hipsters...:yuck:

trvlr70
Apr 12, 2007, 3:44 PM
Boston is less densely populated than San Francisco, and the Boston metro is less dense than the Bay Area.

Really? I lived in both as an adult and Boston, despite statistical evidence, seems much more desnely populated, both city and metro area.

twotoneblue
Apr 12, 2007, 3:50 PM
As far as top 10 underrated U.S. cities, what about Nashville?

ukw
Apr 12, 2007, 4:44 PM
Baltimore?..
I live here and I can tell you it's a blue-collar industrial town.

The people here are mostly uneducated blue-collar, not the worldliest type... there is no international presence, very few cultural activities other than the Aquarium... very little interesting stuff...

I grew up in Baltimore so I agree it has that "hometown" feel. But DC offers a lot more entertainment and culture.

P.S. Hey i got a question about Portland... The first person to write about Portland said it was "full of republicans"... and that the city gov't was "oppressive". Then the next post said it was full of tree-hugging hippies. So who is right? Also, how is the city gov't oppressive?

Modern Design
Apr 12, 2007, 4:50 PM
Wait a minute now...San Diego, Los angeles, Boston, Seattle, New orleans are definately not underrated.....:shrug:

Modern Design
Apr 12, 2007, 4:53 PM
Portland is a terrible place. Don't come here. Its over run with trash, ferrel cats, rude people, republicans, it rains 10 months out of the year and the other two are cloudy. The city government is oppressive, the roads are in shambles, and it floods nearly 4 times each winter....Go to Seattle, you will like it much better.;)

friend of mine said the exact same thing..i thought he was beeing ironic but then i visited Portland and discovered he was not......

Frisco_Zig
Apr 12, 2007, 4:59 PM
hmmm... I have to disagree with this... Boston may be the best city in its class in the US... but throw Boston against 1000 similar sized (or smaller) cities in Europe and it will be crushed. US cities simply cannot compete with European cities. Take a look at that photo thread of unknown 2nd tier Polish cities... all of them have urban cores that destroy anything in the US. Boston is certainly not a perfect gem either... it's suffered terribly at the hands of 20th century urban renewal... much like the rest of the country.

Agree and I would take SF over Boston and add mid sized Japanese cities to your "crushed" comment too

I like Boston more for its history

ukw
Apr 12, 2007, 5:00 PM
friend of mine said the exact same thing..i thought he was beeing ironic but then i visited Portland and discovered he was not......

why what do u mean?

Frisco_Zig
Apr 12, 2007, 5:05 PM
Really? I lived in both as an adult and Boston, despite statistical evidence, seems much more desnely populated, both city and metro area.

Its hard to argue if we are ignoring statistical evidence!

SF has a larger downtown area with many more residents. The neighborhoods in this area are the densest outside of Manhatten. Remember SF is only 7x7 with 800K residents

I wasn't sure about the Bay Area vs Boston Metro but I will take Flint's word. It seemed to me around Boston you hit low density suburds and even small towns rather quickly

vertex
Apr 12, 2007, 5:10 PM
:previous: It seems to me you haven't explored Boston very much.

I like S.F. for it's uninformed but charming residents.

MarkDaMan
Apr 12, 2007, 6:20 PM
P.S. Hey i got a question about Portland... The first person to write about Portland said it was "full of republicans"... and that the city gov't was "oppressive". Then the next post said it was full of tree-hugging hippies. So who is right? Also, how is the city gov't oppressive?

There aren't many, if any republicans in Portland. Certainly none in government. In fact, the first Bush called us 'little Beirut' because he couldn't get into this city without massive protests and near riots marking his visit. The second Bush's motorcade got stuck in the middle of a protest with people actually able to smack the limos and throw signs and such at the vehicles, he hasn't been back to downtown since.

No, Portland is a liberal hamlet that likes to think of itself as the leader on planning, transportation, and land preservation. Naturally with the billion of $$$ Portland has spent of the past decades on light rail, TODS, streetcars, and recently the aerial Tram, we are bound to attract 'anti-government' 'anti-planning' groups. They aren't even necessarily Republican, but we do have very vocal libertarian groups. The State of Oregon also has a relatively easy voter referendum system so we also attract a lot of outside money from republican groups trying to change our land use laws, workers rights, and even minority rights.

With that said, Portland has a strong government and essentially 5 mayors, plus a county and a regional government as well as the Portland Development Commission ($250M annually to 'beautify' Portland) so we are top heavy and operate more like a Canadian government than an America one, which tends to piss off about 10% of the population here...which I would assume is the conservatives.

ctman987
Apr 12, 2007, 7:09 PM
Boston isnt on this list because it isnt underated.

Despite its smaller size (population wise) it is a well know city with a rich history. It is very popular with people all ages, features a strong retail sector, a strong arts and culture sector and a strong nightlife. All of which I think are a result of the fact that Boston/ Greater Boston is a college area. Greater Boston is home to Harvard, MIT, BU, Northeaster, Boston College, Newbury College, Lasell College, Mount Ida College, etc. Having this young blood in the city does wonders

fflint
Apr 12, 2007, 7:31 PM
:previous: It seems to me you haven't explored Boston very much.

I like S.F. for it's uninformed but charming residents.
Cute. And wrong.

The city of Boston is indeed dense, but it only contains about 75% of San Francisco's density. That's close, but no cigar. The metro comparison, however, isn't even close--greater Boston is nowhere near the density of the Bay Area, which is second in America only to greater Los Angeles. It seems you haven't explored the data very much.

Now, if people want to assert and reassert their own personal perception of things, even when those perceptions are clearly contradicted by the facts, then bring on the uninformed charm.

Mr Roboto
Apr 12, 2007, 7:44 PM
How did Boston and SF even get in this conversation. Neither are underrated in the slightest. If we're talking about big cities, Philly seems to be one that is overlooked a little.

I also like Nashville, but I havent spent much time there. Seemed like the city had a lot going for it though.

don't forget the tree hugging, granola eating, latte loving, urban minded, hybrid driving, wind powered hipsters...:yuck:

Thats interesting that you bring up the lattes. When I was in Portland, I found myself bying iced coffees in starbucks or some other coffee shop pretty often. And I dont even drink coffee.

skylife
Apr 12, 2007, 7:47 PM
hmmm... I have to disagree with this... Boston may be the best city in its class in the US... but throw Boston against 1000 similar sized (or smaller) cities in Europe and it will be crushed.

Pfffft. No way. Boston is a great city by any standard. I have European friends who visited Boston and fell in love with the place. One from Glasgow even had one of those moments visiting when he decided he HAD to live there and he could have lived anywhere in the EU. He lives there now and loves it. I think Boston is a world class city, not just a good US city.

US cities simply cannot compete with European cities.Take a look at that photo thread of unknown 2nd tier Polish cities...all of them have urban cores that destroy anything in the US

Of course European cities are generally better and there is much more variety, but the BEST US cities can definitely compete the the BEST European cities. NYC and San Francisco are two of my favorite cities on the planet and I've visited many of the world's great cities. I've been to Poland at least 10 times and visited many of those second-tier cities. They often have really nice and dense little old towns and the rest is bleak. So bleak. If you think they're nicer cities than Seattle or San Diego or Boston, you're nuts! If you think Lublin destroys NYC, Wraclaw destroys Chicago or Gdansk destroys DC, please seek help! ;)

SapphireBlueEyes
Apr 12, 2007, 7:56 PM
Marquette, Michigan was named one of the "coolest cities in America" to live in. I served on the Governor's cool cities committee for Marquette when it was named.
Also, unbelievable as it is to me, my hometown, Ishpeming, was named one of America's "coolest cities." That one just blows my mind cause there's nothing, I mean, nothing, there anymore. But Marquette is really cool!

-SapphireBlueEyes-

ukw
Apr 12, 2007, 7:56 PM
Pfffft. No way. Boston is a great city by any standard. I have European friends who visited Boston and fell in love with the place. One from Glasgow ...

I always cringe a little when people include the UK in their definition of "Europe". The UK and Ireland are somewhat more Atlantic than European, if you know what I mean.

skylife
Apr 12, 2007, 8:02 PM
I always cringe a little when people include the UK in their definition of "Europe". The UK and Ireland are somewhat more Atlantic than European, if you know what I mean.

Eh, whatever. I consider Glasgow a European city for sure.

bryson662001
Apr 12, 2007, 8:49 PM
Richmond (the capital of Virginia) is a terrific little city that pretty much has everything you need but no one knows about it.

Chicago103
Apr 12, 2007, 9:49 PM
Underrated is a relative term, in some respects Chicago is underrated compared to NYC and LA.

fflint
Apr 12, 2007, 10:22 PM
I really don't think Chicago is underrated among ordinary Americans, let alone among forumers.

AZheat
Apr 12, 2007, 10:40 PM
A few of the cities mentioned don't particularly deserve much more attention and some of them are already getting plenty of attention. The only ones I could agree with are Baltimore, Kansas City, Milwaukee and maybe Philadelphia.

BTinSF
Apr 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
Pfffft. No way. Boston is a great city by any standard. I have European friends who visited Boston and fell in love with the place. One from Glasgow even had one of those moments visiting when he decided he HAD to live there and he could have lived anywhere in the EU. He lives there now and loves it. I think Boston is a world class city, not just a good US city.

Of course European cities are generally better and there is much more variety, but the BEST US cities can definitely compete the the BEST European cities. NYC and San Francisco are two of my favorite cities on the planet and I've visited many of the world's great cities. I've been to Poland at least 10 times and visited many of those second-tier cities. They often have really nice and dense little old towns and the rest is bleak. So bleak. If you think they're nicer cities than Seattle or San Diego or Boston, you're nuts!

What makes European cities so nice is the historic parts built prior to World War II--the best parts, well before the war. The place simply has a history most of our cities don't have (although I can't forget that I have only to drive a few miles in Tucson to visit a 17th century church). Much of the routine building done in Europe from 1950 on is, I think, pretty bad and certainly no better than comparable areas in the US. The giant "banlieues" around Paris, the working class British "estates", the proletarian garbage put up all over eastern Europe by the Communists--nothing for our Euro-friends to be so very proud of. What they can be proud of, of course, is their public transportation systems, their bike friendliness and so on, but let's not forget that much of that results not from superior foresight but from the fact that there was a period just after the war when many working-class Europeans simply couldn't afford private cars and prodigeous quantities of gasoline, and governments recognized that fact with subsidized mass transit.

I can't speak for New York--I'll let a New Yorker do that--but San Francisco is full of European tourists every summer and it's hard not to hear what they think. While they certainly have complaints--the cost of a cable car ride and the number of "homeless" being prime examples--generally they seem to love the place.

Back on-topic, I agree with the original list that Baltimore is a place both "nice" and unappreciated.

ctman987
Apr 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
I can't speak for New York--I'll let a New Yorker do that--but San Francisco is full of European tourists every summer and it's hard not to hear what they think. While they certainly have complaints--the cost of a cable car ride and the number of "homeless" being prime examples--generally they seem to love the place.

New York City is filled with European tourists. Most of them love shopping in NYC because it is cheap for them. Head on over to Macy's in Herald Square and walk inside and around Macy's by the Manhattan Mall and you will most certainly hear an array of europen languages and accents. Head onto a Manhattan subway...more so in Midtown and Lower Manhattan (maybe by Century 21) and you will see them to.

Chicago103
Apr 13, 2007, 12:40 AM
I really don't think Chicago is underrated among ordinary Americans, let alone among forumers.

I know it isnt amoung forumers but amoung some ordinary americans or people in the media it is. People who think Chicago is flyover country is the best example I can think of and Chicago gets drowned out with NYC and LA in popular culture. There are also the simplistic stereotypes.

Then again any halfway informed person should view Chicago as a cosmopolitan city. Maybe I should put people with ignorant stereotypes about Chicago in the same category as people that would dismiss SF as being overrun by gays and being Soddom and Gommora on the Bay.

Drew-Ski
Apr 13, 2007, 1:00 AM
Portland is a terrible place. Don't come here. Its over run with trash, ferrel cats, rude people, republicans, it rains 10 months out of the year and the other two are cloudy. The city government is oppressive, the roads are in shambles, and it floods nearly 4 times each winter....Go to Seattle, you will like it much better.;)

If any of you forumers are gulliable enough to believe this, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.:haha:

BTinSF
Apr 13, 2007, 1:06 AM
Maybe I should put people with ignorant stereotypes about Chicago in the same category as people that would dismiss SF as being overrun by gays and being Soddom and Gommora on the Bay.

But we take pride in being those things. Unless you take pride in "ignorant stereotypes", probably not the same category.

Chicago103
Apr 13, 2007, 1:09 AM
But we take pride in being those things. Unless you take pride in "ignorant stereotypes", probably not the same category.

I was never trying to say thats my opinion of SF, I was just pointing out that anyone who makes sensationalist stereotypes or even care that gay people are in SF or anyplace should just be labeled as an ignorant buffon and ignored in the same way I would ignore someone if they said Chicago was overrun by black people, by Al Caponesque gangsters or is an overgrown cow town in flyover country.

Buckeye Native 001
Apr 13, 2007, 1:36 AM
Anyone with half a brain knows that Chicago is a huge city in the middle of what's known colloquially on the coasts as "flyover country." To your average Californian or New Yorker, no other city in between the two coastal powerhouses matters.

For Arizona, I'd almost argue that Tucson is underrated.

PacificNW
Apr 13, 2007, 1:37 AM
I have never thought of Seattle as being "underrated". It seems to be #1, or close to #1, of every poll that exists.

Mayfd24
Apr 13, 2007, 2:03 AM
I will define underated as the city that I never hear (enough) of.

I would have to say the most underated is Baltimore! Growing up, I rarely heard the name and I finally drove through it 10 years ago on my way to NYC and was amazed! I'm not one to say its because "DC gets all the attention" but its proximity to the capital and its lack of comparible highrises are probably what turned my eyes away! But Baltimore has the architecture and living atmosphere. Definately not the safest city, but that depends on who you ask! And Penn Station brutally kicks ass!

Second choice is Riverside, Ca because it is the 62nd largest city and birthplace of Don Imus

Quixote
Apr 13, 2007, 2:23 AM
I think that Los Angeles should have been mentioned as a great city. I certainly love it, and it is underappreciated :tup:

Thank you.

While I wouldn't call Los Angeles underrated, it still doesn't receive the proper credit it deserves for its merits and accomplishments. For example, this city was urbanized only a century ago while NYC and Chicago were already major cities with large populations. LA grew from nothingness into the second largest city of the US in a mere 100 years and has already claimed its status as one of the ten alpha world cities with both ethnic and cultural diversity. That unprecedented growth is something that I don't think even Dubai can match.

dktshb
Apr 13, 2007, 2:51 AM
Well since Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth I would mention San Juan too.

Modern Design
Apr 13, 2007, 2:58 AM
why what do u mean?

read pdxtex comment on his own city:haha:

ColDayMan
Apr 13, 2007, 3:20 AM
I think, on this forum at least, San Juan and Honolulu for American cities are quite underrated.

volguus zildrohar
Apr 13, 2007, 3:23 AM
Wilmington? Wausau? Waxahachie?

I was tickled beyond pink at Houston making the list. It actually is that underappreciated? If so your fortunes may change the minute David Carr leaves the tarmac.

Topher1
Apr 13, 2007, 3:29 AM

1. Annapolis, MD
2. Charleston, SC
3. Savannah, GA
4. Augusta, GA
5. Seattle, WA
6. Portland, OR
8. Galveston, TX
9. Eureka, CA
10. San Diego, CA
11. Chattanooga, TN

That's enough for now.

Though this is an older post in the topic, just wanted to dredge it up for a question. I agree with most of the cities on the list as far as "nice."

But as an Augusta native, I'm curious as to how my hometown fits into the list. I love the place, but it's mostly sentimental, not because I think its a high-class town... I think Augusta is behind the curve (even among southern cities) in urban revitalization and rebirth. Downtown is pretty decimated and decayed and Richmond Co is still hemorrhaging population to the burbs. A few great streetcar burbs remain, but they're the exception, not the norm. I'd say it fits more in a list of decaying rust belt towns than a list of vibrant, attractive cities... The potential for good is there, but progress has been almost non-existant...

So I'm really just wondering, what is it that a casual visitor or tourist finds "nice" about the town? What is it about Augusta that impressed you enough to list it beside places like Savannah or Charleston? With the annual spate of Augusta-bashing Master's articles/blogs coming to a close, it's nice to see some positive publicity ;)

pdxtex
Apr 13, 2007, 5:11 AM
concerning portland, i was TOTALLY being sarcastic. its quite a nice place to live...though, the uber presence of PC, REI clad, enviro yuppies can actually be annoying at times.

pdxtex
Apr 13, 2007, 5:15 AM
and there really aren't packs of ferrel cats....just ferrel dogs....

DBR96A
Apr 13, 2007, 11:13 AM
Pennsylvania is anchored by the most underrated first-tier U.S. city to the east, and the most underrated second-tier city to the west. That is all.

Trae
Apr 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
I love it when Houston is said to be "underrated". People are always surprised every time they come here. A lot think Dallas is Texas' only big city.

donybrx
Apr 13, 2007, 2:01 PM
and there really aren't packs of ferrel cats....just ferrel dogs....

.......and Wil Feral movies...... :)

Modern Design
Apr 13, 2007, 3:23 PM
concerning portland, i was TOTALLY being sarcastic. its quite a nice place to live...though, the uber presence of PC, REI clad, enviro yuppies can actually be annoying at times.

really?me too:tup:
Portland is one of americas best kept secret....good public transportation, clean, a lot of green and nice a downtown...

ctman987
Apr 13, 2007, 3:27 PM
I would have to say the most underated is Baltimore! Growing up, I rarely heard the name and I finally drove through it 10 years ago on my way to NYC and was amazed! I'm not one to say its because "DC gets all the attention" but its proximity to the capital and its lack of comparible highrises are probably what turned my eyes away! But Baltimore has the architecture and living atmosphere. Definately not the safest city, but that depends on who you ask! And Penn Station brutally kicks ass!

I couldnt agree more about Baltimore. I went there this past summer for the first time with my family including my dad. My dad graduated many years ago from the University of Baltimore School of Law. He was a little bit perplexed as why we wanted to go to Baltimore. When he went to school there it was an allright city but there was no reason to return. When we for vacation he wasa truly amazed at how the inner harbor had been built up, about how preserved the Mount Vernon cultural district was, about the array of shops, inns and restaurants at Fells Point and about the huge skyscrapers going up behind Little Italy

donybrx
Apr 13, 2007, 3:38 PM
The case for Baltimore is very sound.......owing to its origins and prominence long before DCs 'shadow' siphoned attention away...not unlike the way some of Philadelphia's potential has long felt NYC's draught....though the effect on Baltimore is probably a fair degree greater.

I don't know Baltimore at all well but have some awareness of its under-heralded attributes.....Baltimore definitely seems to meet the criteria for underappreciated

DEBOI302
Apr 13, 2007, 5:00 PM
i would have to say Wilmington, Delaware is a underrated city. we are the credit card capital of the world and the chemical capital of the world. plus the redevelopment of the riverfront into neighborhoods, should boost our rep as a fun place to live and work.

DEBOI302
Apr 13, 2007, 5:02 PM
oh and i forgot to mention we are between Philadelphia and Baltimore

ssiguy
Apr 13, 2007, 5:08 PM
Cleveland.

I know that in much of Canada many Canadians see Cleveland as the US Rennasance City.

ShyTown
Apr 21, 2007, 2:27 AM
Indianapolis is a city hardly anyone talks about. Very underrated. I'm moving there in a couple weeks, and I LOVE it there. Nice change of pace from Atlanta and my birth city, Chicago.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 23, 2007, 8:52 AM
I agree with Indianapolis...I never really thought anything about that city, but I was in Louisville visiting a friend and he suggested driving up to Indy for an overnight, so we did. We had a got drunk and had a blast, but the most lasting impression and biggest surprise I came across was the big monument and monument circle area. I had seen it from the air when the Pacers were in the NBA finals or playoffs, and remember wondering what it was. It's huge! And bathed in that purple light that gives the entire area a beautiful glow. Downtown was very busy that night and there are lots of historical highrises and interesting buildings. I was impressed!

I've been equally impressed with Baltimore for years...since the early 80's and my first visit there. Inner Harbor was pretty new then and VERY popular. We had trouble fighting our way through some areas. It's such a beautiful historical city and has so much flavor. I tried a soft shell crab until someone told me to move the lungs out of the way...we at Italian in Little Italy and walked around all of the ethnic neighborhoods - that was pretty neat. I think Baltimore is overshadowed by D.C., which causes it to be underrated.

arbeiter
Apr 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cleveland.

I know that in much of Canada many Canadians see Cleveland as the US Rennasance City.

Why? Who?
I don't think even people from Cleveland think that. I mean, it's definitely come back from a much more grim recent history, but it's definitely not turned itself around completely from its previous glory days.

arbeiter
Apr 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
Among that list, I feel that Pittsburgh is the most underrated city. Its general perception is negative amongst many people not from the area, or people not from SSP ;) Among people I've talked to who are not experts or afficionados of cities, Pittsburgh ranks to them like Detroit or Cleveland, but it belongs in a much higher tier.

People on here are confusing underrated with underexposed. Many of the cities people have listed suffer from lack of PR, not bad PR. A place like Pittsburgh suffers from both underexposure and undeserved bad PR. Even if nothing but good news comes out of Pittsburgh, its name alone and a public mindset still has to be overcome.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 24, 2007, 6:04 PM
Underexposure causes something to be underrated...because it isn't exposed as much means it won't be rated as highly as something overexposed. They go hand in hand...

(four 0 four)
Apr 24, 2007, 9:49 PM
I'm suprised that Asheville NC hasn't been mentioned yet but maybe its because its so...underrated!

LordMandeep
Apr 24, 2007, 10:00 PM
most Canadians think most of those rust belt cities are like detroit...

Evergrey
Apr 25, 2007, 3:32 AM
Among that list, I feel that Pittsburgh is the most underrated city. Its general perception is negative amongst many people not from the area, or people not from SSP ;) Among people I've talked to who are not experts or afficionados of cities, Pittsburgh ranks to them like Detroit or Cleveland, but it belongs in a much higher tier.

People on here are confusing underrated with underexposed. Many of the cities people have listed suffer from lack of PR, not bad PR. A place like Pittsburgh suffers from both underexposure and undeserved bad PR. Even if nothing but good news comes out of Pittsburgh, its name alone and a public mindset still has to be overcome.

This blog post... and especially the comments below it... get to exactly what you're talking about. This city is truly something unique amongst the America scene..
http://www.2blowhards.com/archives/2007/04/warhol_and_wort_1.html#004037

Latoso
Apr 25, 2007, 4:36 AM

I would respectfully disagree. I believe ordinary Americans do hold Chicago in high regard as to being cosmopolitan and large. But having spent many years in the tourism industry in Chicago, I have found that people are genuinely surprised when they come to Chicago to have their already high expectations exceeded. Many people in this country are blown away by Chicago when they visit, even though they thought they knew what to expect. I'm sure some forumers who've visited Chicago recently for the first time can attest to this.

LA is definitely a great city. My guess is that it was left out, because as a travel magazine they wanted to focus on cities that are compact and concentrated and easy to get around to the different touristy sights. In LA you really need to rent a car if you want to go see all of the great touristy sights.

Top Of The Park
Apr 25, 2007, 5:05 AM

LA underappreciated??? he he he he he he:jester: :jester: :jester: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :jester:

crisp444
Apr 25, 2007, 5:08 AM
Asheville, NC - cool place in a fairly remote location.
Santa Barbara, CA - beautiful beyond belief.
Charleston, SC - the South has urban neighborhoods, too!
Alexandria, VA - two words: Old Town.
Seattle, WA - one of the most beautiful and livable places in North America. I'm confused why people point to Portland as a NW urban paradise and not Seattle. Portland is much more suburban than Seattle in my opinion.
Madison, WI - a great, small city.

crisp444
Apr 25, 2007, 5:10 AM
LA underappreciated??? he he he he he he:jester: :jester: :jester: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :jester:

I would tell you with a straight face that LA as an urban entity is way underappreciated when compared to places like Philadelphia and Chicago, which I find to NOT be underappreciated. They deserve about the amount of praise and recognition they get, whereas LA is constantly trashed as being "fake" and "not a real city."

BG918
Apr 25, 2007, 5:20 AM
^ I agree about Madison, very cool place that not many people outside of the Midwest know anything about. Underrated smaller cities in my region would definitely have to include Kansas City and Fort Worth along with Little Rock (very nice mid-sized city) and my hometown Tulsa (impressive skyline for a city its size). On a small scale Lawrence, Kansas is as cool of a college town as you'll find anywhere and many people don't know that.

UrbanSophist
Apr 25, 2007, 5:25 AM
I would respectfully disagree. I believe ordinary Americans do hold Chicago in high regard as to being cosmopolitan and large. But having spent many years in the tourism industry in Chicago, I have found that people are genuinely surprised when they come to Chicago to have their already high expectations exceeded. Many people in this country are blown away by Chicago when they visit, even though they thought they knew what to expect. I'm sure some forumers who've visited Chicago recently for the first time can attest to this.

Would you also say, then, that New York is underrated if people are blown away by it when they visit it?

kool maudit
Apr 25, 2007, 5:31 AM
the only times i have heard people go on about the renaissance of cleveland occured in detroit.

which is, you know, detroit.

Latoso
Apr 25, 2007, 8:15 AM
Would you also say, then, that New York is underrated if people are blown away by it when they visit it?

My experience was about what I expected when I went to New York. It's a great city and I love it dearly and pretty much knew what to expect. If anything, all the hype that NY got before I went caused me to be underwhelmed. I was surprised to see how dirty it was, but then again we are spoiled and Chicago and I shouldn't expect that level of cleanliness in any but the smallest of cities.

travelinmiles
Apr 25, 2007, 5:16 PM
I would agree that my beloved hometown of Fort Worth is underrated. Downtown is wonderful, and there are some great urban neighborhoods.

passdoubt
Apr 25, 2007, 5:30 PM
Richmond (the capital of Virginia) is a terrific little city that pretty much has everything you need but no one knows about it.
Agreed... The Fan and Carytown are probably the nicest urban neighborhoods in the South, but nobody on this forum or elsewhere really knows about them.

Evergrey
Apr 25, 2007, 5:40 PM
Agreed... The Fan and Carytown are probably the nicest urban neighborhoods in the South, but nobody on this forum or elsewhere really knows about them.

mrherodotus certainly knows about the Fan

alleystreetindustry
Apr 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
shoot..i'd go for
1. charlotte
2. denver
3. atlanta
4. minneapolis
5. portland
6. tampa
7. kansas city
8. savannah