PDA

View Full Version : No Parking, No Problem

miketoronto
Apr 8, 2007, 2:40 AM
The following article is from
http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/trans/no-parking.html

I think this is a pretty good article. And it really does touch on the fact that its more then about parking and what chain store a downtown has.
I think this article could be the same for many cities. Take Pittsburgh for example. Why is downtown dead at night, yet neighbourhoods five min away are packed with people out shopping, dining etc? Because those hoods are not trying to copy the suburbs.
---------------

No Parking, No Problem

It is almost considered a truism in Indianapolis that one of the biggest obstacles to getting people to come downtown to shop, see the sights, etc. is a lack of free, convenient parking. People driving in from the suburbs are forced to either park on the street, where they will most likely have a bit of a walk to their destination, or have to pay to park in an off street lot or garage. Suburban malls, office parks, etc. all have large free surface parking lots right in front of the door. This provides them with an advantage, and keeps people away from downtown. Right?

Wrong.

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. The reality of the matter is that parking has virtually nothing to do with whether people do or don't come downtown. It is a deciding factor at the margin in the worst case.

This is obvious after thinking about it. To paraphrase Denis Leary, I've got two words for people who think parking hassles are the reason suburbanites don't like to come downtown – Broad Ripple. Broad Ripple is a city neighborhood. There are some free off street spaces, but not nearly enough to fulfill the demand on Friday and Saturday nights. I have personally been forced to walk six blocks or more from where I parked my car to the Broad Ripple Ave. strip. Articles containing horror stories about Broad Ripple parking are standard fare in local papers. Yet throngs of people drive from every part of the metro area and beyond to eat, drink, shop and party in Broad Ripple. Parking hassles have not stopped Broad Ripple from becoming a huge success.

Or consider Christmas shopping season at Keystone at the Crossing. Yet another parking nightmare, the day after Thanksgiving and most weekends in December leave many would be shoppers cruising a full lot waiting for a space to free up. This after already enduring the traffic jams on 82nd St., Keystone Ave., and Allisonville Rd. to get there. But again, this does not appear to deter the thousands of people who throng to the North Side mall's upscale shops and restaurants.

And parking at Broad Ripple and the Fashion Mall is a piece of cake compared to finding a parking spot in places like San Francisco, Chicago, or New York. In those places, there aren't even any illegal spots available. All the fire hydrants are taken. But people are willing to drive from 50 miles out in the suburbs to dine out in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood. People from Indianapolis and beyond travel to Chicago to shop Michigan Ave., dine out in Lincoln Park, or take in a touring Broadway show in the Loop, where $15 charges for parking are commonplace and on street parking is a near impossibility. New York is of course the nation's premier tourist mecca and no one even thinks about trying to park there.

Why is it that all these places (especially our very own Broad Ripple) are so successful despite their lack of parking, yet so many people continue to focus on parking as major problem downtown? The real problem with downtown attractions is not that they are inconvenient to get to or that parking is such a hassle. The problem is that far to many of them are not providing something that people want.

The erstwhile downtown Aryes and Lazarus department stores provide the perfect example. They did not lose customers and close because people had to pay to park. They closed because they abandoned the flagship store concept and had worse stores downtown than they did in the suburbs. Who's going to drive downtown to shop at Lazarus when there is a better Lazarus closer to home at Castleton Square Mall? Nobody, that's who. On the other hand, people will drive a long way to get to the state's only Nordstrom, which is doing a thriving business a block south of where Ayres used to be.

Similarly, the numerous generic bars on South Meridian failed to provide anything people could not get closer to home. They failed because of bad business decisions, not because people had to pay $3 to park.

The South Meridian establishments that did provide a unique, desirable product – like the Slippery Noodle Inn and Hollywood Bar and Filmworks – have continued to thrive and even expand.

The Symphony doesn't have any problems drawing a crowd, nor does the Circle Centre Mall or the Pacers. Interestingly, attendance at Pacer games has increased markedly in recent years. This did not coincide with a reduction in parking rates (or even ticket prices). Instead, the team started winning games. Not surprisingly, that's when fans started showing up.

The truth is, parking has virtually nothing to do with whether or not people come downtown or not. It is simply an easy scapegoat for people to whine about when answering surveys. The fact is, people who don't come downtown stay away because there is nothing there they want. Provide these people with real attractions and they will come, regardless of parking. The Circle Centre Mall and its associated upscale restaurants provide the best example of this.

"So what?" you might ask. Paying to park or walking a couple of blocks is surely not a positive thing for downtown. Anything that could be done to help alleviate parking hassles would have to be a positive for downtown.

To a certain extent that is true. I definitely feel that downtown should be as convenient as possible within reason. However, the city has developed a fixation about parking that is unhealthy. Much like a modern day Will Rogers, the city never met the parking lot it didn't like. This has resulted in a downtown that has an incredible amount of land devoted to surface parking lots. Many of which, unfortunately, were built on the sites of demolished historic buildings. I have never been to a major city that has more downtown surface parking than Indianapolis. (This opinion was also recently offered by a consultant working on a transportation visioning study for the region). And surface parking is a curse on any downtown.

Look at the places that we consider the most thriving parts of downtown such as Illinois St. near Circle Centre, Monument Circle, and "skyscraper row" along Ohio St. These are also the areas the have the least surface parking. The parts of downtown considered the least revitalized - like the area around Market Square Arena and the southeast quadrant of the Mile Square - are also the areas with the greatest amount of land devoted to surface parking.

It is easy to understand this. In reality, a parking lot is a vacant lot. And a vacant lot offers no attractions that tourists or suburbanites will come to see. It offers no office space for people to work in. It offers no place for downtown residents to live.

Unfortunately, the city does not seem believe that we have enough surface parking lots. It continues to require off street spots for every new downtown building. This essentially mandates surface parking lots for smaller projects which cannot support a parking garage on their own. It also ignores the fact many projects, because of the unique urban scale of downtown, might not need parking. For example, small businesses might cater only to neighborhood residents and office workers within walking distance. Some housing might cater to those who do not own cars and use public transportation or walking to get around.

Consider the effect of city rules in the Canal district. Almost every residential and business structure there has private off street parking. Most of this is in the form of large, ugly, suburban style surface lots that consume valuable downtown land. Since these lots are private, those wishing to visit the Canal itself and the USS Indianapolis memorial cannot use them. The net result is that these lots sit empty (and often padlocked shut) on weekends and after business hours, giving area around the Canal a desolate and uninviting aura. During the day, on street parking is rarely ever used. Even at mid-afternoon, Indiana Ave. and Senate Ave. have virtually no cars parked on them. The Canal corridor is also almost completely devoid of retail establishments. Anyone living or working there must either drive or face a long walk to do even the simplest of things such as buy a gallon of milk or eat lunch in a restaurant.

Rather than having each business or residence have a private lot, a better approach is to build large off street garages that multiple buildings (and the general public) can use and to maximize usage of on street parking. This might include allowing parking on West St. during non-rush hour periods, widening St. Clair St. to provide parking on both sides (currently there is no parking at all), and removing the parking meters along Senate Ave.

This approach was taken along Mass Ave. The city narrowed the street to provide only two lanes of traffic and added perpendicular parking on both sides along with landscaping and antique street light replicas that make the street more inviting and pedestrian friendly. The result: numerous storefront businesses cater to the neighbors and visitors and often feature residential units or offices on upper floors. This area still has a way to go before it can be considered at truly thriving urban neighborhood, but it is on the right track. Hopefully the city will allow the vacant lots that remain to be converted from surface parking to better uses. This is the model that should be followed elsewhere downtown.

The best bet for the redevelopment of still hurting sections of downtown is to make sure they are selling something people want to buy – not ensuring that they have a huge parking lot. If we continue building surface parking lots, we will only have succeeded in building downtown replicas of suburban shopping malls, apartment complexes, and office parks which experience has shown (see Lazarus, Aryes, Sports, etc. as mentioned above) people are not willing to go out of their way to visit.

The city should lower the priority given to parking, eliminate or reduce most minimum parking space requirements, and make it more difficult to build surface parking lots.

Instead it should concentrate on building a unique urban environment that will draw locals and visitors alike to a thriving downtown full of highly desirable attractions people are willing to walk a couple of blocks to get to.

BTinSF
Apr 8, 2007, 3:01 AM
One thing people from the suburbs want is a place without a lot of people from the suburbs. They want to go downtown and pretend they are FROM there--and therefore kool. An absence of parking helps the illusion. Maybe that's why North Beach is so popular--not only is there no parking, it's one of the harder places to get to by public transportation as well unless you are pretty familiar with the bus routes and are a Muni regular (hence probably not from the burbs).

BnaBreaker
Apr 8, 2007, 5:40 AM
I've never come across anyone who would actually consider changing their plans and not going downtown just because there was no free and convenient parking. People will complain about it, but it's not going to keep them away.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 8, 2007, 11:41 PM
Here's one...if I have to drive to a place that has a ridiculous parking situation, I won't go. I know a lot of people who feel this way...I'll either choose a different destination or stay home, and I live in the city not the burbs. If a business can't have some kind of parking - parking deck or valet - then it needs to be located near a subway stop.

ctman987
Apr 11, 2007, 4:04 PM
Parking is needed in all cities..but to a certain extent. If a city has a great public transportation system theres no need for tons of parking. And for cities with little or no public transportation there does not need to be seas of parking lots, there can consolidated parking garages, underground out of the way parking and maximixed on street parking.

In Hartford MetLife announced that they will be moving more then 1,000 employees out of downtown Hartford to a suburban office complex in Bloomfield. One of the major reasons was parking. There is plenty of parking downtown. So much so that during the same time period Soverign Bank announced that they would be relocating their regional headquarters from the suburbs back to a historic building downtown (with no attached parking). A week later a large suburban law firm announced that they would be moving downtown from suburban Bloomfield to a downtown office tower.

Steely Dan
Apr 11, 2007, 4:11 PM
Here's one...if I have to drive to a place that has a ridiculous parking situation, I won't go.

that's interesting, if i have to drive to a place at all, i won't go. i sold my car 7 years ago. :D

Swede
Apr 11, 2007, 8:33 PM
^Same here. At 27 y/o I've never driven a (real) car. Ain't go a license even. So transit is the only option for me. So going in to the City is quick and easy, but going to some mall in another suburb - not gonna happen.

brian_b
Apr 11, 2007, 8:45 PM
Sold my car last year and am not looking back. I rent one every once in a while though.

The Chicago Fire soccer club used to play at Soldier Field downtown but decided to build their own stadium and chose a site in the suburbs. I guess it's easier for all their suburban fans that want to drive to a match, but the city residents without cars must now take a train to the end of the line and then hop on a bus to get to the stadium. It takes about 1.5 hours to get there from downtown. Why would I go to a 1.5 hour soccer match when I have to spend 3 hours on public transportation??? Guess what, I'm not going to any more matches!

sprtsluvr8
Apr 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
that's interesting, if i have to drive to a place at all, i won't go. i sold my car 7 years ago. :D

I know what you do in that case...you call ME to see if I'll swing by and pick you up. And I say no problem, then I make you the designated driver so I can consume freely. :tup:

Steely Dan
Apr 19, 2007, 5:06 PM
^ huh?

MayorOfChicago
Apr 19, 2007, 5:33 PM
I know what you do in that case...you call ME to see if I'll swing by and pick you up. And I say no problem, then I make you the designated driver so I can consume freely. :tup:

Actually you just ask him if you can crash at his place in the city so you don't have to drive home that night.

I ditched the car almost 4 years ago, and in those 4 years I have never ONCE asked any of my friends/coworkers with a car to give me a lift anywhere. I've actually turned them down on rides home after work if someone has a car, it's just easier and more relaxing for me to hop on the bus/train and IPOD out while I stare out the window.

I lived and breathed my car for 8 years - every day. I couldn't have imagined ever ever ever giving up my car, but once I did it, never looked back once. It was probably one of the top 5 best decisions I've ever made in my life. I save so much money, don't worry about parking, no gas stations, no traffic jams, no oil changes...

Steely Dan
Apr 19, 2007, 5:49 PM
, don't worry about parking, no gas stations, no traffic jams, no oil changes...

no car payments, no insurance rates, no parking tickets, no getting towed, no "aww shit, my brakes are shot, how am i gonna get $700?", no speeding tickets/court dates, and on and on and on.

life takes on a decidedly stress-free tone when you ditch the car.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 19, 2007, 6:17 PM
I don't live and breathe mine...I only use it when completely necessary. I hate driving...and it takes an act of Congress for me to drive at certain times of the day going certain directions. I've constructed my life so I don't sit in traffic unless it's some freak surprise traffic. And look where I live!!! It can be done.

I was kidding about you bumming a ride, and I don't mind at all if it's not too far out of my way (and it doesn't force me to drive during my Restriced Hours). Most people I know who don't own a vehicle are very comfortable using public transit and avoid asking for rides, and those are the ones I always try to offer a ride. The ones that whine about "Will you come pick me up?" and act like it's no big deal and I should be thankful for being offered time in their presence...you know the type. Those are the ones without a car NOT by their own choice... :)

sprtsluvr8
Apr 19, 2007, 6:21 PM
Mechanical problems ARE stressful...I hate dealing with that. Insurance and fuel are expensive as well. But I really like having the option to drive if I don't or can't easily use MARTA. There is a station 6 blocks from my house so I'm lucky.

Aren't some systems looking at outlawing iPods for safety purposes? I always have some kind of reading material with me to entertain myself....

sprtsluvr8
Apr 19, 2007, 6:26 PM
Actually you just ask him if you can crash at his place in the city so you don't have to drive home that night.

I don't go to the trouble of asking to crash...either pass out in the car on the way home or stumble inside and pass out on the first comfortable looking home furnishing or carpeted floor. :)

Chicago103
Apr 19, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ive got all of you beat, I have never been a car person, I am 26 years old and I have never had a car in my own name in my life. The most I ever did was borrow my moms car to go to high school everyday, I lived in an exurban setting downstate and I just didnt want to spend money on a car, if I had a job I wanted it to be used for other things besides a car. I have had a driver's license since I was 16 but I was like "eh" when most teenagers were very excited about the prospect of getting a car. My brother was the same way, when he got to driving age he just borrowed my mom's car, thankfully she was a housewife and didnt need it. My mom's car is nearly 16 years old has been used by three people including two teenagers and yet it is now just about to pass the 100,000 mile threshold. I am proud of the fact that I have never had to worry about car payments, insurance, gas, parking or any of that crap.

Honestly its give and take in life, are there annoying things you have to put up with using public transportation? Certainly there are but there are plenty of annoying things about driving as well. I couldnt afford to live where I live and have a car at the same time, now I live on a very high floor of a highrise downtown but if I really wanted to I could probably afford a car if I lived in some further out neighborhood in the city in a studio apartment in an old six flat or something and while my rent would be alot less the amount of money spent on the combination of rent and the costs of car ownership would probably be equal to what I pay on rent alone where I do now. So for me its a choice between living in an average or below average apartment and having a car like most joe schmoes or living in a place that gives me a claim to fame that literally only a handfull of people in the world can claim to have. I mean alot of people have cars, alot of people even have nice cars it doesnt make you that special but if you say you live on the 91st floor of the Hancock at a cocktail party that really turns heads. If you drive something like a BMW while that is high status there are still hundreds of thousands of people in the world who have that, there arent many people who can say they live 300 meters above the ground in a highrise.

My point is before someone accuses me of bragging is that you shouldnt let something as mundane as parking prevent you from partaking in an environment that is world class. Parking is nothing special, its everywhere in this country in every Wal-Mart parking lot in every clusterfuck from sea to shining sea but there are only a few areas that offer the world class culture of our few truly urban spaces.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 19, 2007, 11:05 PM
I didn't think you were bragging. I was kind of wondering what remote area of the planet you were living in to never have driven or owned a vehicle. :) Just kidding, but the thought did run through my mind...

Chicago103
Apr 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
I didn't think you were bragging. I was kind of wondering what remote area of the planet you were living in to never have driven or owned a vehicle. :) Just kidding, but the thought did run through my mind...

Downstate Illinois; Decatur area to be exact, hardly an urban or non auto-centric place. I have driven a car plenty of times especially when I lived down there its just that ive never owned a vehicle in my own name it was technically my mom's but really it was a car share between her, me and later my brother. I just never saw the big deal about driving, I did it because it was better than the school bus (if there hypothetically was a public bus going to my rural high school I would have taken it) and I viewed it in a functional way, I could never imagine spending my own money on a car like some of my classmates. I guess its because ive never been much of a materialist either, something doesnt have to have my name on it for me to use it, thats why car sharing doesnt bother me nor using public transit.