PDA

View Full Version : Newsom's strange display

BigKidD
Apr 5, 2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/newsom.jpg
SAN FRAN MAYOR IN FRESH MEDIA CONTROVERSY
Thurs Apr 5, 2007 15:28:02 ET

San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom, fresh from rehab after being caught in an affair with his former deputy's wife, has caused controversy in San Francisco when he briefly opened his mouth around a local reporter's microphone.

Print, radio and TV reporters at hand for a press conference were 'suprised' and 'amused' when Newsom grabbed the stick and briefly looked to be jokingly performing oral sex.

One local reporter tells the DRUDGE REPORT, "I was surprised he did that. I didn't feel it was appropriate at all."

Prominent local blogger Beth Spotswood immediately wrote, "I think Channel 2 started it when they shoved their microphone so close to Gavin's face that he pretended to blow it."

At ABC7NEWS.com, where the video can be seen, one commenter wrote, "He's stupid. There's a time and place to joke around, but when you're on camera, you should watch what you say and do if you're an elected official ... Gavin is self-destructing.

Another writes:

"Being a Chicagoan, I am used to many instances of our beloved king Daley brushing reporters questions aside, but this display was incredible. Can't your city do what California did to Gray Davis?"

Developing...

This brief report is from Drudgereport.com. So, what's your opinion of this action by Newsom, if it's anything at all?

What is a Rivercat?
Apr 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
He reminds me of Christian Bale in American Psycho

J_Taylor
Apr 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
thats hella funny

craeg
Apr 5, 2007, 11:23 PM
Why is this posted here?

BigKidD
Apr 5, 2007, 11:49 PM
Why is this posted here?
Well, I wanted to get responses from any Bay Area residents about this act. If it's in the wrong place, I will galdly like to see a Mod move it then. Also, there was thread about Newsom's hair posted here a few months ago just to state.

BTinSF
Apr 6, 2007, 1:17 AM
My reaction: I'd have to have been there. It sounds kind of funny to me and most reporters are so full of themselves that anything that puts them down, even a little bit, is OK with me until I'm given a reason to think otherwise.

On the other hand, there was the Frank Jordan shower scene--that could have been funny too, but it wrecked his career. The problem here is that I can't think of an alternative to Newsom who would be good for San Francisco. There's nobody on the Board of Supervisors I'd want to see as mayor. Nobody who used to be on the Board either. Once I thought Carole Migden wanted to be mayor and she might be an alternative to Newsom (even though she can be an unpleasant person), but she seems very happy in the state Senate. Maybe Roberta Achtenberg but I've heard nothing about her being interested (that sort of thing could change if Gavin is clearly in trouble). I'm thinking of hanging garlic around City Hall (and maybe nailing up a silver cross) just in case John Burton gets ideas. But who is there besides Gavin, really, who wouldn't be a pushover for the NIMBYs and city unions and all the other forces that hold SF back from greatness.

MrMetropolitan
Apr 7, 2007, 3:08 PM
Also, there was thread about Newsom's hair posted here a few months ago just to state.

touche!

dimondpark
Apr 7, 2007, 6:16 PM
what do i think?

i think nothing-this is totally irrelevent to his job performance but the media likes to report this cause hes hot. sorry for the no caps but im typing this while driving on 580 east thru dublin.lol

BTinSF
Apr 7, 2007, 7:47 PM
^^^Frank Jordan's shower was totally irrelevent too, but . . . . This kind of stuff won't keep me from supporting Gavin, but I'm not so sure about some of SF's conservative Asian voters and other such folks.

condodweller
Apr 11, 2007, 6:53 PM
This is just Drudge taking the thing way out of proportion, as is his M.O. The video can be found here (http://iteamblog.abc7news.com/2007/04/the_invisible_r.html), and it's pretty obvious the mayor was just joking around when the microphone was shoved in his face, pretending to take a bite at it.

LongBeachUrbanist
Apr 11, 2007, 7:07 PM
Really didn't need to see F. Jordan's weenie!

Censored:

http://www.mistersf.com/images/jordanshower02.jpg