PDA

View Full Version : Historical Winnipeg discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33

esquire
Jan 20, 2021, 1:33 PM
Here is a map I put together for a university project. Shows the original location of the sports facilities as well as the houses that were torn down. After making it, I realized that they punched Mostyn place through to Balmoral and demolished Whitehall Ave.

This is really impressive, but I just have one minor quibble... the picture of the demolished stadium is actually a picture of the then-new Winnipeg Stadium.

BubberMiley
Jan 20, 2021, 3:36 PM
I assume they were all privately owned at one point. Maybe they didn’t want to sell. Amazing that they bought 33 houses and a good sized apartment building to make a parking lot.

I knew someone who lived at Common Ground, the co-op house across the street, in the 1990s and there was still an old man living in that house who was never going to sell to GWL no matter what they offered. His heirs eventually did but by then GWL was no longer allowed to just demolish it. They seemed to try demolition by neglect for a while but fortunately came up with the daycare idea.

esquire
Jan 20, 2021, 3:43 PM
Those giant GWL parking lots are a relic of the bad old days of 1960s car-centric planning. These days I would imagine they'd have to build a parkade.

I wonder what Canada Life's long term plan is for that site? I can't imagine they plan to leave it that way indefinitely. I think we saw some pictures of a huge campus expansion to the west which never materialized, except for the triangular building I think. Do they plan to one day expand their corporate campus in that direction? Or could they conceivably sell off chunks for development and build a parkade to replace the lost lots?

drew
Jan 20, 2021, 4:24 PM
I knew someone who lived at Common Ground, the co-op house across the street, in the 1990s and there was still an old man living in that house who was never going to sell to GWL no matter what they offered. His heirs eventually did but by then GWL was no longer allowed to just demolish it. They seemed to try demolition by neglect for a while but fortunately came up with the daycare idea.

Back when they were actively attempting the demolition by neglect, I called the city a few times to complain about the condition of that house.

I am glad it ultimately got re-purposed.

Since the parking lot dream they have for that strip is not going to happen, hopefully GWL will allow for some development along Balmoral to the north of that house. There is still enough space there to put houses back in.

bomberjet
Jan 20, 2021, 4:37 PM
In that link to the daycare, they show new houses on that stretch. From what I can tell. New small houses that look like the original neighbourhood. Maybe that's just for show, I don't know.

rivercity
Jan 20, 2021, 4:40 PM
Those "houses" are classroom wings for the daycare

1ajs
Jan 20, 2021, 10:01 PM
came across a christmas card recently that had a early 1890's view of main st

didnt relize how early till i started really looking

also nerding out with andy6 over fb cant be beat lots of neat things to find burried in old photos

anyhow

left is aprox 1897 and is a glass slide ive had for quite few yrs now.
the common wealth shop apeared in the location in 97

the big Boston shop disapeared sometime between 96 and 97
ryan shoes stoped being in that location in 93 and moved to king and banntyne

right is the print from the christmas card. guesing its 1891-93
you will notice the street car line up williams is missin from it and still has horse drawn trollsies witch stopped around May 11, 1894 as a fire in the horse barn killed all the horses from what andy6 was able to find out

think the line went in on william in 94 seen map dated that showing it somewhere but cant find it now

lots of neat things to find in these photos when zoomed in

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50857526911_9464e9b2bb_b.jpg

The Unknown Poster
Jan 21, 2021, 6:58 PM
My favorite thread. Amazing stuff!

davequanbury
Jan 21, 2021, 8:54 PM
This is really impressive, but I just have one minor quibble... the picture of the demolished stadium is actually a picture of the then-new Winnipeg Stadium.

A valid quibble. Thanks for pointing that out.

bomberjet
Jan 21, 2021, 9:07 PM
Amazing stuff. Imagine strolling Main St in that day..

buzzg
Jan 22, 2021, 5:24 AM
In the bottom right photo, is the tall building on the left the Confederation Building? If so - is that a dome that used to be up on top?

TimeFadesAway
Jan 22, 2021, 2:18 PM
In the bottom right photo, is the tall building on the left the Confederation Building? If so - is that a dome that used to be up on top?

I think it's the old post office at the NE corner of Main and McDermot. You can see a picture of it here. (http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/pageant/19/winnipegspostoffices4.jpg)

Andy6
Jan 22, 2021, 2:30 PM
My grandmother grew up on Whitehall, right next door to the Amphitheatre. Their house was demolished around 1931 when the stadium was built and then the houses on the south side of the street were mostly sold and demolished due to the noise and traffic that the stadium was causing.

esquire
Jan 22, 2021, 3:01 PM
My grandmother grew up on Whitehall, right next door to the Amphitheatre. Their house was demolished around 1931 when the stadium was built and then the houses on the south side of the street were mostly sold and demolished due to the noise and traffic that the stadium was causing.

Do you know why the stadium ended up there? It seems to me that by the time it was built (Wikipedia says it opened in 1932), that would have been a bit of an odd choice for a location given that the site was obviously cramped and in a fairly prime position directly across from the Legislature.

Andy6
Jan 22, 2021, 4:25 PM
Do you know why the stadium ended up there? It seems to me that by the time it was built (Wikipedia says it opened in 1932), that would have been a bit of an odd choice for a location given that the site was obviously cramped and in a fairly prime position directly across from the Legislature.

It was a big field owned by Shea’s and I believe someone started holding dog races there which eventually morphed into a stadium. It wasn’t a civic enterprise of any kind, as far as I know. Someone just decided to build a playing field and went ahead and did so. There were several small stadiums for baseball around town in those days.

blueandgoldguy
Jan 22, 2021, 8:47 PM
Looking back on it, the arena and curling club are about what I'd have expected to see for Winnipeg circa 1910. But the stadium was surprisingly small... according to Wikipedia, Osborne Stadium opened in 1932 (although I'm not sure how accurate that is) and in pictures, it looks very cramped and ramshackle.

Compare it to Memorial Stadium down the road in Grand Forks, which was basically a small town at that time... theirs had nearly double the seating capacity and was much more impressive looking.

Memorial Stadium:
https://knoxradio.com/application/files/9015/9319/8447/Memorial_stadium_UND.jpg

It's strange to me that the main stadium right in the middle of a major Canadian downtown area was so minimal... it didn't even have room for a regulation football field. It looks like something you might have expected to see in a place like Brandon.

Yes, it was basically an NFL-regulation field in terms of length complete with the ten yard end zones and a green monster-type wall at one end. Once the demand for tickets exceeded the supply during the Jack Jacobs era, Winnipeg Stadium was constructed giving us a brand spanking new state-of-the-art 15,000 seat sports facility.

blueandgoldguy
Jan 22, 2021, 9:11 PM
It's been posted here before, but since we are talking about the history of Osborne Stadium I thought I would provide the link to the video.

https://vimeo.com/43772530

Quite the colorful history!

trueviking
Feb 3, 2021, 10:09 PM
came across this cool shot from the Manitoba hotel, about 1895....the era of old buildings before all the old buildings that are there today were built. The hockey arena on bannatyne peeking out on th left.

https://i.postimg.cc/Njc9TQfN/PM-1985.png

peg
Feb 4, 2021, 4:03 AM
I love how the building on the northwest corner of Main and McDermott seemed to have a heavy Paris inspiration.

davequanbury
Feb 4, 2021, 10:28 PM
I love how the building on the northwest corner of Main and McDermott seemed to have a heavy Paris inspiration.

Second Empire style for sure. One of Winnipeg's many fire victims.

1ajs
Apr 25, 2021, 5:30 PM
https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/178201275_10226129579974402_3354650526991481771_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=_3pcquJEoWwAX-N0g6p&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=7a125d0d30a5f6416f91436b35859915&oe=60A989E1

plrh
Apr 25, 2021, 10:34 PM
There are still a few functioning wood stave sewers in the city, apparently. I have been told that most have been lined with plastic.

cllew
Apr 26, 2021, 1:58 AM
There are still a few functioning wood stave sewers in the city, apparently. I have been told that most have been lined with plastic.

The city tries to do internal point repairs (relining with resin coated fiberglass) where possible as its less disruptive to traffic.

External point repairs are done on locations where the pipe is missing sections of pipe and has to be dug up to put a new section of repair pipe in.

Andy6
Apr 26, 2021, 3:27 AM
Very interesting!

davequanbury
Nov 4, 2021, 11:54 PM
Saw this photo the other day. Always wondered what was in that lot to the north of 441 Main Street.
https://i.postimg.cc/fRs7wLZF/Screen-Shot-2021-11-03-at-7-53-41-PM.png (https://postimg.cc/Czvn7wRH)

esquire
Nov 5, 2021, 12:21 PM
^ Interesting. I wonder how long it's been gone?

There must be some empty lots/surface parking lots that are over a century old by now, like that one behind the old Birt's Saddlery IIRC. Some might be candidates for heritage protection ;)

esquire
Nov 10, 2021, 4:35 PM
CTV reported that the Winnipeg Railway Museum is planning to close its doors after 30 years at Union Station. I didn't quite catch the reason, apparently it has something to do with too many problems and repairs needed to the space in the Union Station trainshed?

The operating association at one time wanted to occupy the steam plant at The Forks (where City TV is now) but they couldn't find the money to do it. After so many years of trying I doubt that they will be able to get a full museum built, but I would settle for a nice indoor display somewhere of their crown jewel artifact, the Countess of Dufferin steam locomotive. Maybe at the Manitoba Museum? How about right on the tracks in the Urban Gallery?

I find it curious that all of a sudden the condition of the trainshed has become an issue. Are there going to be repairs done possibly in anticipation of a BRT route going through the station?

peg
Nov 10, 2021, 5:30 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/8363527/winnipeg-railway-museum-to-close-doors-dec-31-seeks-new-home-for-2022/

With trains being such an integral reason for Winnipeg's existence I think it's pretty sad that we don't have a proper train museum.

Last time I visited the train museum I asked someone working in the gift store what they thought about the rapid transit station plans. They told me they doubted it would happen as moving the trains will be very costly (I believe some would need to be lifted out by crane due to track issues/sizes). I guess they were wrong - but I wonder where these trains will go in the meantime?

I hope that these trains don't get dispersed around - I would love to see a new museum at the forks. The article says that's where they hope to stay.

Where are the rich train-loving museum donors at?.... :haha:

esquire
Nov 10, 2021, 5:40 PM
I still maintain that a Winnipeg museum would be fantastic. So many awesome stories to tell. The Manitoba Museum touches on some of them in the urban gallery and the new little Winnipeg space, but a local museum could go so much further. And with trains having such an integral part in local history, a railway wing to highlight the Countess of Dufferin and some other key artifacts would fit in nicely.

Pardon me while I take a time machine back to 2011 and buy a ton of cheap bitcoin to pay for it all! :haha:

WinCitySparky
Nov 10, 2021, 6:24 PM
CTV reported that the Winnipeg Railway Museum is planning to close its doors after 30 years at Union Station. I didn't quite catch the reason, apparently it has something to do with too many problems and repairs needed to the space in the Union Station trainshed?

The operating association at one time wanted to occupy the steam plant at The Forks (where City TV is now) but they couldn't find the money to do it. After so many years of trying I doubt that they will be able to get a full museum built, but I would settle for a nice indoor display somewhere of their crown jewel artifact, the Countess of Dufferin steam locomotive. Maybe at the Manitoba Museum? How about right on the tracks in the Urban Gallery?

I find it curious that all of a sudden the condition of the trainshed has become an issue. Are there going to be repairs done possibly in anticipation of a BRT route going through the station?

Yes CTV’s article mentions Track 1 and 2 are included in the Transit Master Plan

esquire
Nov 10, 2021, 7:28 PM
Yes CTV’s article mentions Track 1 and 2 are included in the Transit Master Plan

Cool, thanks - I only saw the video clip which didn't mention that, I didn't realize there was an actual story that expanded on it.

1ajs
Nov 10, 2021, 8:20 PM
take one of the the empty lots along main next to the tracks and build a tin shid that can be upgraded with a new skin over time?

1ajs
Nov 10, 2021, 8:42 PM
anyone seen all the old river peers sticking out lately in the red
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51670265191_569f7ce8c1_o.jpg

OTA in Winnipeg
Nov 11, 2021, 4:11 AM
^Yes, noticed them on Monday while at The Forks. The birds were making good use of them.

EndoftheBeginning
Nov 16, 2021, 3:36 PM
It's been over 1 year since the last meeting - the Historical Buildings and Resources Committee has finally scheduled a sitting for Nov 19. Reports are provided for the St. Boniface Health Unit (233 Provencher), St. Boniface Police Station/Jail/Courthouse (227 Provencher) and Brookside Cemetery.

peg
Nov 16, 2021, 4:55 PM
...This may make some of you feel old...

I found a really cool video of Winnipeg in 1997:

Winnipeg, 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqRAAtD1Ss&list=LL&index=1&t=6s

24 years ago, it's crazy to see Winnipeg so similar yet so different. Lots of good and bad changes - the street trees definitely look healthier in the 90s footage.

This is the Winnipeg I remember as a child in the early 2000s! (I am as old as this footage lol)

esquire
Nov 16, 2021, 4:58 PM
...This may make some of you feel old...

I found a really cool video of Winnipeg in 1997:

Winnipeg, 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqRAAtD1Ss&list=LL&index=1&t=6s

24 years ago, it's crazy to see Winnipeg so similar yet so different. Lots of good and bad changes - the street trees definitely look healthier in the 90s footage.

This is the Winnipeg I remember as a child in the early 2000s! (I am as old as this footage lol)

I was a teenager when that video was made. I'm sure if you looked at footage from other place like Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax you probably wouldn't be able to believe all the changes. But to be honest things don't look all that different to me looking at back then as compared to now. Some things have changed, like the colours and types of the vehicles on the road, for example, but the built environment is pretty similar.

drew
Nov 16, 2021, 5:09 PM
Thanks for sharing.

It was cool to see all those long gone car dealerships along Portage. McNaught(?) between Maryland and Sherbrook - I had forgotten how that block looked.

Also United Army Surplus - love it. Back in '97 I went in there semi-regularly for camping and fishing gear.

OTA in Winnipeg
Nov 16, 2021, 9:33 PM
All the theatres were still open. Capitol 1 & 2, the old Northstar 1 & 2, Garrick 4. Eatons and Eaton Place still existed. Music City. Banks were still there, Scotia on Kennedy, CIBC on Hargrave, BMO on Portage, Cliffords. I was surprised how much has changed.

esquire
Nov 16, 2021, 9:53 PM
All the theatres were still open. Capitol 1 & 2, the old Northstar 1 & 2, Garrick 4. Eatons and Eaton Place still existed. Music City. Banks were still there, Scotia on Kennedy, CIBC on Hargrave, BMO on Portage, Cliffords. I was surprised how much has changed.

Being a downtown nerd I used to go to movies downtown a fair bit in those days but you could see the writing on the wall by the late 90s. After the Silver City theatres and Cinema City theatres opened in the suburbs, attendance at the downtown theatres plummeted. They were packed in the early 90s but not even 10 years later they were empty.

I remember going to cinemas like the Northstar, Garrick and Portage Place and they'd be damn near empty and I'd think "they can't go on like this"... and then sure enough they closed.

kalabaw
Nov 22, 2021, 8:35 PM
Interesting to see that video, especially for someone like me who did not grow up here. Honestly, I didn't really know what and where Winnipeg is when I was in high school, which is when this video was taken. I know where Canada was, but I never really know anything about it, all the more its provinces and cities. Fast forward to today and I've called Canada and Winnipeg home for 12 and 7 years respectively.

peg
Dec 22, 2021, 9:12 PM
I found a really extensive library of high-quality historic Maps of Winnipeg and Manitoba: https://www.newpghs.com/historical-maps

Some really neat ones in there. Some I'd never seen before. I cant post them as images cause they are PDFs.

bomberjet
Dec 22, 2021, 9:29 PM
Thanks for sharing!

1ajs
Dec 28, 2021, 6:40 AM
damn that parking lot at donald and elice had a nice building what happend?

https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/269994564_1152749888592075_565876122562458560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=RBxWMf6aGnIAX-7w-QS&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=00_AT9_hR_dlLoowcqy1xzf6yaq-un29P5rbXtMFDAqi8mPMQ&oe=61D0345F

trueviking
Dec 29, 2021, 4:38 AM
I just learned that it was Winnipeg’s first apartment building. The Westminster Block, built in 1884. Also known as the French flats.

1ajs
Dec 29, 2021, 6:50 AM
wonder what happend to it fire?

davequanbury
Dec 29, 2021, 5:33 PM
I just learned that it was Winnipeg’s first apartment building. The Westminster Block, built in 1884. Also known as the French flats.

i did some poking around, there are references to the Westminster Block in the Henderson's directories right up until 1962. I wasn't able to find any articles in the Trib or Freeps about a fire or anything. Most likely just pulled down by the owner.

I learned that "French flats" was the term for the type of housing, not that particular building:

"The term “French Flat” generally referred to multiple-family dwellings for the middle- and upper-middle class and helped to distinguish it from a tenement. Such a term was used to entice would-be residents who could afford living space nicer than a tenement but couldn’t afford a single-family house in Manhattan following the Civil War. "

https://www.villagepreservation.org/2019/10/29/french-flats-explained-merci/

Labroco
Dec 29, 2021, 6:11 PM
damn that parking lot at donald and elice had a nice building what happend?

https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/269994564_1152749888592075_565876122562458560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=RBxWMf6aGnIAX-7w-QS&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=00_AT9_hR_dlLoowcqy1xzf6yaq-un29P5rbXtMFDAqi8mPMQ&oe=61D0345F

I can’t stop looking at this post card of Donald Street… To imagine living in that beautiful building, walking out and onto the trolley and taking it down Broadway to watch a sporting match on Osborne. It’s what we are all hoping can return in someway (some would say it has).

The urbanism of this image I find breathtaking anywhere but especially for Winnipeg.

trueviking
Dec 30, 2021, 2:50 AM
Dave Q. That’s great info. Thanks!

1ajs
Dec 30, 2021, 3:23 PM
that corner needs a new version of that building to replace that lot not a tower

davequanbury
Jan 1, 2022, 3:02 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-hotel-historic-renovations-1.6283825

Nice write up about the Winnipeg Hotel. Not much in the way of info that has not already come to light on this forum, but nice to know the stained glass windows are tucked away safe somewhere.

1ajs
Jan 20, 2022, 5:10 AM
some realy interesting 1930's 40's motorcyle club photos poped up on if you grew up in wpg facebook group
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/272155645_10158801685332087_2731828935616804407_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=m3lNedHLAWkAX-cQfE4&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT9-rR6uQiqpSl-Xg2lFE3zkEi8I5mC7CJon_UXtoR6Nfw&oe=61EDCB61

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/272159166_10158801780237087_3993813042644018356_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=4Yt2F19uYSgAX_Cthfu&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AT_G6vm1AudDHx8YbCFP8OQZDMQx1AKHv41ISe0a75zMvQ&oe=61ED3699

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154508147961200/

BubberMiley
Feb 18, 2022, 12:14 PM
Just discovered the Manitoba Home Movie archive. This one has some great shots of the Portage Avenue sidewalk in the 1940s.
https://archive.org/details/mhma-k-stevenson

This one looks to be in the early 1960s. Great shots of Portage Ave and Main Street.
https://archive.org/details/gimli-gagnon-2021-04-07-001-01-hd/GIMLI_UNGER_2021-04-07_001-03.mp4

This one has some incredible footage of the St Boniface Cathedrale burning down.
https://archive.org/details/gimli-gagnon-2021-04-07-001-01-hd/GIMLI_GAGNON_2021-04-07_001-01_HD.mp4

bomberjet
Feb 18, 2022, 2:34 PM
Thanks for sharing. Amazing footage.

Is this part of the more recent effort to collect old home photos and videos? I guess people just throw their old stuff out when people pass on. Instead they were asking people to donate so the memories can live on.

BubberMiley
Feb 18, 2022, 3:14 PM
Part of this one seems to be taken from the upper deck of Eaton's parkade before Newport Centre was built in front of it.
https://archive.org/details/gimli-gagnon-2021-04-07-001-01-hd/GIMLI_UNGER_2021-04-07_001-05.mp4

drew
Feb 18, 2022, 3:34 PM
^ I doubt the person driving that 23-window VW Bus at 1:29 in that video could have imagined how valuable it would be 60 years later.

TimeFadesAway
Feb 18, 2022, 8:16 PM
Part of this one seems to be taken from the upper deck of Eaton's parkade before Newport Centre was built in front of it.
https://archive.org/details/gimli-gagnon-2021-04-07-001-01-hd/GIMLI_UNGER_2021-04-07_001-05.mp4

That's Home Street right at the beginning of the clip. I recognized the apartment block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8880107,-97.1679792,3a,75y,52.67h,90.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sq6CwyD8F0GWBmfnNq6gexw!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

bomberjet
Feb 18, 2022, 8:35 PM
I'm going to spend some time watching those videos. So cool.

OTA in Winnipeg
Feb 19, 2022, 2:44 AM
That's Home Street right at the beginning of the clip. I recognized the apartment block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8880107,-97.1679792,3a,75y,52.67h,90.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sq6CwyD8F0GWBmfnNq6gexw!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I thought the same. Thanks for the confirmation. Years ago my younger brother and his partner lived there right when she had their son. Just realized, 30 years ago now, wow.

biguc
Feb 24, 2022, 2:29 PM
Just posted this in the Exchange thread but I'll post it here too so things don't get too off topic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/2340939496

Things:

South Osborne used to be called Pembina Street!?
Henderson Highway was Bird's Road.
Check out how Sargent just kind of dissolves. Weird stuff in the West End
Look at that diamond at Kenaston and Grant.
No Osborne or Memorial north of the old legistlative grounds. The UofM is there instead.
Lilac used to have a streetcar for a stretch, which explains why it's kind of dense and has some commercial spaces.

zalf
Feb 24, 2022, 4:10 PM
Other weirdness:

- Churchill High School sits atop an old cemetery
- A segment of what is now Kildonan Drive was Kent Road
- "Stradbrooke Place" and "Spadina Avenue" were fused at some point into Stradbrook Avenue, and and "e" was lost along the way

This is fascinating

peg
Feb 24, 2022, 4:27 PM
Look at the avenues in River Heights - they all have different names.

West of Cambridge street:

Academy is Godfrey Ave

Kingsway is Colqunoun Ave

Grovesner is Haskins Ave

Corydon is Jackson Ave

Fleet is Lennon Ave

Grant is the same

Mathers appears to be either Arnold Ave or Hetherington Ave

Taylor is also the same

Very cool map.

BubberMiley
Feb 24, 2022, 9:01 PM
This film has it all. All over Winnipeg in the 50s and 60s. I particularly like nighttime Portage Avenue at Christmas around the 6:00 minute mark. Also the amazing animated window displays just before these shots as well as later in the film. I suspect the first is the Bay at night and the second is Eaton's during the day. Not sure though. All before my time.
https://youtu.be/-OCkpByzZ-s

BubberMiley
Feb 25, 2022, 1:56 AM
This is quite good, starting with the plane flying over the city. I was confused though at 2:10. Are those cadets walking past a big blue Safeway in downtown?
https://youtu.be/LfMdKiUvTQM

Update: Yes, from the panning shot at 1:29, it's at the NW corner of Broadway and Donald.

bomberjet
Feb 25, 2022, 2:25 AM
There's tons of weirdness in those old maps. Unicity they removed all the duplicate names.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/2306622464/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/2304469813/in/photostream/
I'm down the rabbit hole now. If it was 1950 and my home was here, it be flooded haha the blue finger in East Kildonan. There's only about 3 blocks of homes near Munroe and London. And we'd be in the boonies. My house was built in 1959.

Also the house I grew up in is in the blue finger. Built in the 1970's right beside Kimberley Hill, where the big fire was. The depression of the flooded area is still in place on a lot of streets around here.

biguc
Feb 25, 2022, 9:15 AM
I love how Ft. Garry and St. Boniface successfully protected themselves from flooding while the COW apparently just took it. Probably fighting over the cost of dirt.

davequanbury
Feb 28, 2022, 3:34 PM
Just posted this in the Exchange thread but I'll post it here too so things don't get too off topic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/2340939496

Things:

South Osborne used to be called Pembina Street!?
Henderson Highway was Bird's Road.
Check out how Sargent just kind of dissolves. Weird stuff in the West End
Look at that diamond at Kenaston and Grant.
No Osborne or Memorial north of the old legistlative grounds. The UofM is there instead.
Lilac used to have a streetcar for a stretch, which explains why it's kind of dense and has some commercial spaces.

Weird about the Pembina label because there are essentially two Pembinas on the map. Could it possibly be a typo by the cartographer? Definitely some changes in the West End. Kind of cool to see the footprint of Happyland still visible between Dominion and Aubrey st.

Henderson is actually Bird's Hill rd.

esquire
Feb 28, 2022, 4:03 PM
The Pembinas were in two different municipalities, much like how there were (and still are) two Notre Dames.

OTA in Winnipeg
Mar 1, 2022, 12:50 AM
Wolseley was Ida and Bath, Westminster was Ruell and Ayr. Who knew?

BubberMiley
Mar 1, 2022, 1:22 AM
I think at one of the intersections on Wolseley there is still an Ida St. sign embedded in the sidewalk.

The Unknown Poster
Apr 12, 2022, 8:04 PM
Not sure if this is old enough to qualify for the historic thread (delete if not appropriate) but as everyone is talking about the pending storm, here's a music video put out by CBC of the Blizzard of 86!

https://youtu.be/MXM2sYDibU8

emeraldeyes
Apr 13, 2022, 5:27 PM
https://www.winnipegcommercialrealtors.ca/listing/30789330/385-Henderson-Hwy-Winnipeg-MB-R2K-2H3
the listing says it is offered on an 'unpriced basis'...

BubberMiley
Apr 18, 2022, 2:49 PM
Still watching old home movies.
This one has some great shots of the Bombers at Osborne Stadium at the 10 minute mark.

https://archive.org/details/2020-018-3-colleen-wilson/2020-018-3+-+Colleen+Wilson.MP4

esquire
Apr 18, 2022, 3:41 PM
Still watching old home movies.
This one has some great shots of the Bombers at Osborne Stadium at the 10 minute mark.

https://archive.org/details/2020-018-3-colleen-wilson/2020-018-3+-+Colleen+Wilson.MP4

That's awesome, the footage from the Bomber game is something else. It says it was taken in 1952 but with the primitive appearance of Osborne Stadium it looks like it was 50 years before that :haha:

A very cool look into bygone Winnipeg... thanks for posting.

BubberMiley
Apr 18, 2022, 6:47 PM
The third film in that collection also has great colour shots of the Polo Park racetrack, also around the 10 minute mark.

trueviking
Apr 19, 2022, 2:09 AM
Football game was on November 11, 1952. Western final against Edmonton. The Bombers lost 22-11. Edmonton would play and lose to Toronto in the Grey Cup.

esquire
Jun 23, 2022, 1:36 PM
https://oseredok.ca/demolition-salter-street-bridge-construction-slaw-rebchuk-bridge-daily-basis-1983-1984/

19 pictures taken of the replacement of the old Salter Bridge with the current Slaw Rebchuk Bridge in 1983-84.

I had some extended family members just off Salter, a stone's throw from the bridge, so I spent a fair bit of time in that area when I was a kid... I remember this construction project was a big big deal to preschool me, ha.

Interesting that the Salter Bridge barely made it 50 years before being replaced.

davequanbury
Jun 24, 2022, 12:11 AM
https://oseredok.ca/demolition-salter-street-bridge-construction-slaw-rebchuk-bridge-daily-basis-1983-1984/

19 pictures taken of the replacement of the old Salter Bridge with the current Slaw Rebchuk Bridge in 1983-84.

I had some extended family members just off Salter, a stone's throw from the bridge, so I spent a fair bit of time in that area when I was a kid... I remember this construction project was a big big deal to preschool me, ha.

Interesting that the Salter Bridge barely made it 50 years before being replaced.

This is awesome, thanks! Was the old bridge was to the west of the current bridge?

OTA in Winnipeg
Jun 24, 2022, 3:24 AM
^Yes. It was right up almost against Winnipeg Cold Storage.

Thanks so much for the pictures. Enjoyed looking back.

Highwayman
Jun 24, 2022, 9:24 PM

I was looking through the pics and there are some of the underside of the old Bridge and it looked in worse shape then even the Arlington as there was alot of concrete mixed with steel supports. The steel looked fine but the concrete looked like it was just falling apart.

trueviking
Jul 5, 2022, 2:08 PM
thought these articles were interesting. monorails and the downtown U of M.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/83/winnipegmonorail.shtml

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/51/broadwaysite.shtml

dennis
Jul 5, 2022, 7:34 PM
^Yes. It was right up almost against Winnipeg Cold Storage.

Thanks so much for the pictures. Enjoyed looking back.

I remember that bridge when I was young. I remember the ornate stone or concrete slabs at the foot of the bridge. I also remember the bridge being right up to the Winnipeg Cold Storage building. There was a huge eye painted on the side of the building that was there for years after the original bridge was demolished. And the people wondering how thst eye got up there.

esquire
Jul 5, 2022, 7:37 PM
I vividly remember that eye when it was freshly painted sometime in the early 80s... probably the most prominent piece of street art that I can remember from my preschool years :haha:

1ajs
Jul 23, 2022, 3:06 AM
1930's graham
https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/295317341_10161874836457785_7555480976114562222_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=Y0m77A_w_fkAX_45E2X&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=00_AT-BUlx9WCtQ9M57CeMUpHm-zh4UOnBWFyPpf0kfE1wJhQ&oe=62E0FEB4

Labroco
Jul 23, 2022, 3:16 AM
1930's graham
https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/295317341_10161874836457785_7555480976114562222_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=Y0m77A_w_fkAX_45E2X&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=00_AT-BUlx9WCtQ9M57CeMUpHm-zh4UOnBWFyPpf0kfE1wJhQ&oe=62E0FEB4

Great picture! I’ve never seen that one. Our bldg at 399 Graham is in the foreground!

Is that girl on roller skates?

1ajs
Jul 23, 2022, 3:32 AM
figured u would like that shot and yea apears to be

Luisito
Sep 26, 2022, 2:01 PM
Not sure if some one posted this already but it just came up on my fyp. Really great pics of Winnipeg in there. I could only identify a handful of spots.

dZI5jv0gvm0

1ajs
Oct 12, 2022, 12:12 PM
damn
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/311137102_10166657561200297_9186694613528810929_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=crZwRig1slYAX8X9iKA&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT-ekVGIufulqUIJTs8H71lSZh2tylMgufastBIJ66qASw&oe=634BBDD4

trueviking
Oct 12, 2022, 3:28 PM
which direction am i looking? is that where the richardson parkade is?

Jeff
Oct 12, 2022, 3:28 PM
south east!

1ajs
Oct 12, 2022, 3:31 PM
which direction am i looking? is that where the richardson parkade is?

towards the ball park

found this photo on facebook in If you grew up in Winnipeg Manitoba you remember... group

trueviking
Oct 12, 2022, 3:32 PM
brutal.
i had no idea there were large buildings on that site

1ajs
Oct 12, 2022, 3:37 PM
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/309213928_10166657560680297_1966223689946709249_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=vMHfj67FxpYAX-QtOkL&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT-4MwKwCyBuED1FLgBaV1wptxR6pF1LSnoqNMt1KNIfRA&oe=634C7F4B

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/310596520_10166657562075297_2318343559692650435_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=fEjzuLU_sdYAX-OD8g8&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT96vY4vfm8DNJ4ANTif4S2Soc5uCHNlCzkvZTkPYzW7Yg&oe=634B1620

trueviking
Oct 12, 2022, 3:47 PM
there used to be a gas station on lombard?

esquire
Oct 12, 2022, 3:51 PM
brutal.
i had no idea there were large buildings on that site

It's interesting that so much of the East Exchange survived but the area closer to Portage and Main, let's say south of McDermot, got mostly cleared out to the point where there are hardly any old warehouses remaining. I remember there were demolitions still happening as late as the 1990s.

trueviking
Oct 12, 2022, 4:18 PM
I have an image in my mind's eye of going past the one they tore down to make the ball park parking lot....someone had spray painted 'heritage lost' across it....i recall it being one of the first times i thought about heritage value in buildings.

esquire
Oct 12, 2022, 4:29 PM
I have an image in my mind's eye of going past the one they tore down to make the ball park parking lot....someone had spray painted 'heritage lost' across it....i recall it being one of the first times i thought about heritage value in buildings.

That was one of the last big demolitions in that area... would have been sometime in the mid 90s.

You can see it in the bottom left of this picture. It was right at the foot of Portage Ave. E.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gTs_Q0TbQUE/VgrSeXig--I/AAAAAAAACs8/bqopYcfYVu8/s1600/Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-09-29%2Bat%2B12.55.46%2BPM.png

wardlow
Oct 12, 2022, 4:38 PM
Here is the same building (Codville warehouse) seen from Pioneer/Notre Dame East. Demolished in the early 1990s.
https://i.ibb.co/xYDF94t/Codville.jpg

wardlow
Oct 12, 2022, 4:41 PM
Here's a couple of great shots of the tiny little 19th century residential area on Notre Dame East, located where the ball park is now. You can see these dwellings in the aerial above as well. I think they had all disappeared by the 1980s.
https://i.ibb.co/CJF8cgt/Notre-Dame-E.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/HNWLYfc/Notre-Dame-E-2.jpg

trueviking
Oct 12, 2022, 4:56 PM
^^ No way!

what was the smokestack, i wonder.