PDA

View Full Version : More dead birds?

KevinFromTexas
Feb 10, 2007, 2:33 AM
Ok, this is odd. The day before yesterday I was up on my aunt's roof sweeping off the leaves. There was a bird in the tree flapping its wings and making noise. I figured he was just trying to get me to leave.

After I got down off the roof and put away the broom and shovel this bird falls out of the tree not 10 feet away from my aunt and me. Then, just now my sister and I walked next door to see my aunt's new truck, (2007 Toyota Tacoma), and there was a dead bird lying in the street.

WTF? Anyone else seen anymore dead birds? A cold front came through and it's cold out tonight, maybe that had something to do with it?

Nitsua0491
Feb 10, 2007, 4:45 AM
You should be careful... birds are a host for West Nile Virus, and when lots of them turn up dead it is usually a sign that the virus is about to flare up. What type of birds were they? Crows seem to be the worst hit by WNV.

rad707
Feb 10, 2007, 4:54 AM
this happens more than it is reported. i found an injured bird during the ice storm and contacted the animal shelter on east MLK to have it donated for recovery. they mentioned that a lot of bird will eat sprayed trees and inadvertantly eat berries laced with insecticide. the lady running the shelter said over 80 birds died this way in SW austin several weeks ago. a few were saved. no reporting.

KevinFromTexas
Feb 10, 2007, 6:15 AM
You should be careful... birds are a host for West Nile Virus, and when lots of them turn up dead it is usually a sign that the virus is about to flare up. What type of birds were they? Crows seem to be the worst hit by WNV.

The first one appeared to be a robin. It was brown/black with a light brown breast. The other one was mostly grey, probably a dove.

We do have crows. Our house butts up against a wooded field, (a school), and they're always around there. We also have owls back there. And oddly enough our neighbor down the street has a rooster, chicken and a couple of chicks. I doubt it has anything to do with the chicken and rooster since that family has owned them for years.

I doubt it's anything to worry about, but since that bird scare downtown, people have been paying more attention lately.

kornbread
Feb 10, 2007, 6:22 AM
I doubt it's anything to worry about, but since that bird scare downtown, people have been paying more attention lately.
Maybe they're distraught over possibly losing all that airspace over downtown Austin? Have you ever flown into a pane of glass before? That really smarts...

KevinFromTexas
Feb 10, 2007, 6:26 AM
Maybe they're distraught over the possibly of losing all that airspace over downtown Austin? Have you ever flown into a pane of glass before? That really smarts...

Nah, they just protest up and down Congress...with poop. :yuck:

austintilIdie
Feb 10, 2007, 8:20 AM
noticed one that resembled a robin over near northland and balcones a week ago, i rarely come across a dead bird, in the past three weeks it's been several