PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is going in with canada

SpongeG
Jan 25, 2007, 7:20 AM
i haven't watched the national news in ages and tonight i decided to check it out

and there were stories about teenagers in toronto who use their cell phones in class and fell entitled to do so and say no matter what people try to do they will still use them

than they also film videos of their teachers and than post them on you tube

and than there was a story about a romanian gypsies who hasd been moving across the country robbing stores and than had the nerver to apply for refugee status - finally some of the group got caught in Calgary but jeebus

what has this country come to

squeezied
Jan 25, 2007, 7:44 AM
then they also film videos of their teachers and than post them on you tube

hahaha so true tho

SpongeG
Jan 25, 2007, 8:43 AM
haha yah

it was just making me mad watching the news

before the news there was a show about people who are allowed to immigrate to Canada as doctors but once they get here they are not allowed to practice medicine

some they showed moved to the states and had no problems being allowed to do so

most profiled worked menial jobs here

why does the country let them ion and not tell them the truth? judging from the show most of them were not aware before leaving their hjome countires to come here that they would not be able to be doctors here

baggab
Jan 25, 2007, 9:28 AM
From what I've heard Doctors that come to Canada have to take tests to show they qualify. They most likely qualify, but the tests are in english and from what I've heard most either have a hard time or don't go through with it. I don't know if it's true for other professions. The only reason I know this is I have 2 friends that went to China and this is what they've told me they had to do to practice medicine in Canada.

It's unfortunate that the english language is such a hard language to grasp comparatively. People may think Chinese is tough, but it's grammer is easier to grasp. It's alot of heavy memorization and the Tones/Speaking is the hard part.

I can understand they probably end up getting stuck. IE high costs of moving and finding a place here, requiring immediate income for family/living.

asher11
Jan 25, 2007, 1:27 PM

It's all gone to hell.

... and anyone is supposed to find that (meaning videos of teachers) interesting? They need to find other hobbies.

and there were stories about teenagers in toronto who use their cell phones in class and fell entitled to do so

You seriously didn't think anyone goes to school here to learn anything did you? That's OK, the ones who manage to get into university/college will be taking remedial English so they can write semi-coherent sentences.

MolsonExport
Jan 25, 2007, 2:13 PM
http://www.oafe.net/articulation/art/0511.jpg
i haven't watched the national news in ages and tonight i decided to check it out

and there were stories about teenagers in toronto who use their cell phones in class and fell entitled to do so and say no matter what people try to do they will still use them

and than there was a story about a romanian gypsies who hasd been moving across the country robbing stores and than had the nerver to apply for refugee status - finally some of the group got caught in Calgary but jeebus

You sound like a crotchety old man.

salvius
Jan 25, 2007, 3:07 PM
Well, the cell phones in class thing IS hair-pullingly frustrating. Cell phones are contributing to the total breakdown of etiquette and good manners in our (any many other) society(s).

habsfan
Jan 25, 2007, 3:20 PM
http://www.oafe.net/articulation/art/0511.jpg

Those two were my favorite characters on the Muppet Show...well them and Fuzzy Bear!

habsfan
Jan 25, 2007, 3:21 PM
Well, the cell phones in class thing IS hair-pullingly frustrating. Cell phones are contributing to the total breakdown of etiquette and good manners in our (any many other) society(s).

Here here...totally agree with you on that.

Hell, if i was a teacher, i'd confiscate the cell phone!

Lobstick
Jan 25, 2007, 4:28 PM
^Good luck, you would have 10 parents all over you at the end of the day.

The thing that bugs me the most about schools now is they aren't allowed to hold students back a grade anymore. I don't know if that is true across the country, but it is here. Heaven forbid that a child had anyone challenge them. It's private school all the way if I ever have kids.

habsfan
Jan 25, 2007, 4:34 PM
^Good luck, you would have 10 parents all over you at the end of the day.

The thing that bugs me the most about schools now is they aren't allowed to hold students back a grade anymore. I don't know if that is true across the country, but it is here. Heaven forbid that a child had anyone challenge them. It's private school all the way if I ever have kids.

Then get together with the other teachers and the school principal, an make it a rule that students cant bring cell phones to th class room.

Jezus christ. has our society become so fvcking limp! Stand up to the little bastards and let them know who's the boss.

As for not being allowed to hold students back a year...i have no idea if schools can still do it here in Québec? I do know that one of my buddies was held back one year when he was in sec. 1 (which is 7th grade for you ROC'ers), but that was almost 20 years ago! It was the best thing that ever happenned to him. he was finally able to keep up with other students and was no longer the worst in his class. In the long run, it was good for his self esteem as well!

when i have kids, they,ll also be going to private schools. At least unti they get to CEGEP!

salvius
Jan 25, 2007, 4:35 PM
^ you know, where I come from, in the schooling system you had a separate grade called Temperament/Demeanor/Self-Control (or translated to something like that...). If you failed this, you failed the year no matter what your other grades were like. I think it would be a good idea and bring a more formal way of holding students back. It could also be reported in the mid-term or something, so the parents knew what the hell was going on.

murman
Jan 25, 2007, 5:14 PM
You seriously didn't think anyone goes to school here to learn anything did you? That's OK, the ones who manage to get into university/college will be taking remedial English so they can write semi-coherent sentences.

I'm reminded of a certain forumer... :yes:

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Jan 25, 2007, 5:44 PM
Those problems seem pretty petty to me. I'll take spoiled brats and roaming gypsies over more serious problems any day.

IntotheWest
Jan 25, 2007, 5:53 PM
Those problems seem pretty petty to me. I'll take spoiled brats and roaming gypsies over more serious problems any day.

Those can become more serious problems.

murman
Jan 25, 2007, 5:55 PM

Thin edge of the wedge.

Lobstick
Jan 25, 2007, 8:33 PM

You've got to remember that these kids will eventually grow up. Without a good education system we could end up like certain other countries that shall remain nameless.

salvius
Jan 25, 2007, 8:35 PM
^ England?

Yob culture has really taken a hold... I can not believe the amount of vandalism they have to put up with.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Jan 25, 2007, 8:38 PM
You've got to remember that these kids will eventually grow up. Without a good education system we could end up like certain other countries that shall remain nameless.

What does recording a class with your cell have to do with the quality of education going downhill? Sorry you lost me on that one.

That cell phone story btw is one that they save for slow news days.

"The sky is falling!" Some of you are starting to sound like miketoronto.

Lobstick
Jan 25, 2007, 8:41 PM
^I was talking about the inability of teachers to fail students. I don't think the sky is falling, perhaps people's standards are.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Jan 25, 2007, 8:48 PM
Ya that is a bad thing. If conservatives get back in power that will end here.

WhipperSnapper
Jan 25, 2007, 9:00 PM
are these students actually failing?

I say ... kick'em out or send 'em to the principal if they're disruptive

can't say I ever used a cellphone (well ... few had them at the time) in class but then, I wasn't very often in class

harls
Jan 25, 2007, 9:09 PM
"The sky is falling!" Some of you are starting to sound like miketoronto.

Not yet...not until they start CAPITALIZING the names of stores and transit systems.

graupner
Jan 25, 2007, 9:17 PM
On a macroeconomic point of view, Canada has been in slow decline since the mid-1960s. Not that our economy slowed down or anything, but all our comparative advantages (which makes us better at producing some goods vs. other countries) have been continously eroding.

Mostly, this is due to Canada turning to a consommation and "leisure" society, rather than to a society that emphasizes on working and saving money.
Meanwhile, places like Singapour, Hong Kong or Island, which 40 years ago were very late behind us, have catched up the gap and are almost on the same level as us.

1ajs
Jan 26, 2007, 12:20 AM
bring back the strap and detention.

malek
Jan 26, 2007, 12:28 AM
other countries work hard to catch up with us, once they do, they'll want more leisure, consummerism and "hippy" times.

sdm
Jan 26, 2007, 1:41 AM
Until they pay taxes they don't get to decide if they can use their cell phone at school or not. We pay taxes, and therefore their education, so i say we ban cell phones in school.

Besides, if they are spending all this time in class on the phones then what type of people are they going to be when the real world slaps them in the face. We are in trouble if these clowns are going to run things while we get old.

Xelebes
Jan 26, 2007, 2:25 AM

No, it is forcing to change the rules of ettiquette by throwing out some rules and having to make up some new ones.

LordMandeep
Jan 26, 2007, 2:30 AM
Cell phones won't be banned. 10-20 parents would go after the school, and the school would then allow it. It happened 4 times at my high school.

Kids today have so many more distractions that really school is wayyyy to boring for them.

MonkeyRonin
Jan 26, 2007, 3:51 AM
This thread is great. do people honestly have nothing better to do than complain about high school students and gypsies? :haha:

Hey retards - guess what? there are much more serious issues out there. cell phones and a couple gypsies (hilarious, by the way) do not signal the end times.

Besides, if they are spending all this time in class on the phones then what type of people are they going to be when the real world slaps them in the face. We are in trouble if these clowns are going to run things while we get old.

Your generation did a damn fine job, thats for sure. I just hope the kids these days can grow up to do as fine a job as the baby boomers :rolleyes:

LordMandeep
Jan 26, 2007, 4:02 AM
i however must admit they had better music.

Jets4Life
Jan 26, 2007, 5:00 AM

I remember hearing about the Gypsies in 1997, when 10,000 of them applied for refugee status, saying they were being persecuted in Eastern Eurpoe. The main reason they were trying to come over was in the Czech Republic, they had a documentary about the welfare system in Canada, and how much better it is than most European nations.

Xelebes
Jan 26, 2007, 5:03 AM
i however must admit they had better music.

You are only bothering to remember the good music.

LordMandeep
Jan 26, 2007, 5:30 AM
true, when we will remember music of todays era, we will only remember the good music as well.

However, some of the musicans from 50-70's still have legendary status today. (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan,The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and so and so on)

Greco Roman
Jan 26, 2007, 5:33 AM
true, when we will remember music of todays era, we will only remember the good music as well.

However, some of the musicans from 50-70's still have legendary status today. (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan,The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and so and so on)

edit

Mister F
Jan 26, 2007, 6:07 AM
^^dude, that's a 30 year time span! 30 years from now we'll remember just as many legendary musicians from the 80s to 2010.

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2007, 6:26 AM

haha

they showed one teacher - he grabbed the phone out of the kids hand and threw it on the floor :haha: of course it was caught by another students phone

it was just getting me frustrated watching the news - shows that i should continue not watching the news

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2007, 6:31 AM
just to clear it up - i could give a fuck about the kids having cell phones

what pissed me off was their attitude about it - like basically they are saying just you try to ban my cellphone - its not going to happen - and of course their weak parents will back them up don't dare do anything to my precious child

as for the gypsies - it pissed me off that a they have been on a criminal spree for a few months during which they claimed or applied for refugee status - so not only are they stealing from people but theya re getting free rent free lawyuares etc -all the things refugee claimaints can get and we have to pay for it meanwhile they get to go around robbing people

Canada may as well just bend over

sdm
Jan 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
This thread is great. do people honestly have nothing better to do than complain about high school students and gypsies? :haha:

Hey retards - guess what? there are much more serious issues out there. cell phones and a couple gypsies (hilarious, by the way) do not signal the end times.

Your generation did a damn fine job, thats for sure. I just hope the kids these days can grow up to do as fine a job as the baby boomers :rolleyes:

To bad i am not a baby boomer......

asher11
Jan 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
what pissed me off was their attitude about it - like basically they are saying just you try to ban my cellphone - its not going to happen - and of course their weak parents will back them up don't dare do anything to my precious child

I'd like to see what they and their parents do when their phone rings in a crowded lecture hall in first year university and the prof goes ballistic. Big attitude adjustment is facing these kids once they hit the real world. :whip:

vid
Jan 26, 2007, 2:48 PM
Maybe they're making tapes of Mr Whatshisname (the science teacher at PACI that used to teach at Hillcrest but transfered) that grabs girls asses all the time? He was a terrible teacher. I think he's been fired though.

The school board here is fiercely pro-teacher so they don't even investigate unless you have a good enough story. Students had to bring them to a human rights tribunal to get rid of homophobic teachers. :/

MonkeyRonin
Jan 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
To bad i am not a baby boomer......

Either way you're an ignorant turd, and lines like:

"We are in trouble if these clowns are going to run things while we get old."

..Have been said about every generation. Not to mention every generation (yours included, which ever that is) have had their share of fuck ups.

niwell
Jan 26, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see what they and their parents do when their phone rings in a crowded lecture hall in first year university and the prof goes ballistic. Big attitude adjustment is facing these kids once they hit the real world. :whip:

Haha, totally. It's hilarious when that happens!

Xelebes
Jan 27, 2007, 12:37 AM
^^dude, that's a 30 year time span! 30 years from now we'll remember just as many legendary musicians from the 80s to 2010.

Twisted Sister
Prodigy
Sarah Maclachlan
Orbital
Tupac Shakur
Beastie Boys
Skinny Puppy
Ministry
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Offspring

and to top the list off:

Nirvana

The Jabroni
Jan 27, 2007, 1:08 AM

Forget confiscating, this teacher is WAAAAY ahead of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hut3VRL5XRE

sdm
Jan 27, 2007, 11:58 AM
Either way you're an ignorant turd, and lines like:

"We are in trouble if these clowns are going to run things while we get old."

..Have been said about every generation. Not to mention every generation (yours included, which ever that is) have had their share of fuck ups.

Whats wrong, did your cell phone get taken away from you by the teacher?

MonkeyROnin I am so glad i got a chance to talk to you, at least now i can say i talked to one of the future fucks ups.

MonkeyRonin
Jan 27, 2007, 11:27 PM
Whats wrong, did your cell phone get taken away from you by the teacher?

MonkeyROnin I am so glad i got a chance to talk to you, at least now i can say i talked to one of the future fucks ups.

Didn't you read the thread? Teacher's can't take away cell phones. ;)

And likewise, I'm glad to say I was at least able to talk to an asshole of a previous generation.