PDA

View Full Version : Regina's Rolling Stones concert sets new record

CCF
Jan 19, 2007, 9:18 PM
As per the Ipsco Place website

http://www.ipscoplace.com/association.aspx

Rolling Stones Regina Shows Awarded Top Grossing Canadian Concerts Of All-Time
Fri, Jan 19 2007

Once you start the city of Regina up, we’ll never stop.

The two Regina Rolling Stones Bigger Bang concerts at Mosaic Stadium in October have been listed as the top grossing concerts of all-time in Canada in the yearend edition of music industry trade magazine Pollstar. In addition, Regina also ended the year in the top 10 list of North American shows produced last year and is now considered one of the top 40 grossing concerts of-all-time in North America.

The Regina shows earned a total of $12,011,124, with attendance soaring to 80,583, landing it the top grossing record for Canada, as well as pulling in the number six position in North America for 2006 - second only to multiple dated events and America’s largest music festival based in Tennessee.

Of the top 40 North American concert grosses of all-time, the Regina shows are the only Canadian productions to make the list, coming in at number 34.

“Everyone in Regina should be proud, especially the hundreds of local workers who helped make the Rolling Stones Bigger Bang shows so successful – from the steel workers to the security guards” said Neil Donnelly, vice president of marketing and events for IPSCO Place. “We pride ourselves in creating, producing, and hosting diverse and distinct events that cater to Regina and Saskatchewan, but now we can be assured that our events are the best in Canada.”

The concerts were locally produced by the City of Regina under the direction of IPSCO Place, with several of North America’s top concert promoters assembling the logistics of the complete Bigger Bang tour.

This first major concert at Mosaic Stadium has earned it a spot on the top 100 list of the world’s best outdoor stadium sites and the title of the top grossing Canadian stadium of 2006.

“This is fantastic news,” said Mayor of Regina Pat Fiacco. “Everyone involved with the two sold out shows from the fans to the organizers should be very proud. We put our best foot forward and emerged among the best on the continent.”

Hmmm, weren't there some of you here who were claiming they were making a mistake by going to Regina rather than Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg?

IntotheWest
Jan 19, 2007, 9:27 PM
Wow - great news Regina! Wasn't that the only prairie province location for that concert?? If so, I wonder how many of the 80,000 were from AB or MB (or elsewhere).

ReginaGuy
Jan 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
There were one or two shows in the American Prairies.. I can't remember which cities, but they only saw ~20-30 thousand people in total

in any case, surprising and amazing news!

And while we're on the subject, I've been hearing rumours of a large scale annual concert event(or festival?) Being planned for Regina

Dalreg
Jan 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
Well hopefully this year we get another large act coming through. I think with a little planning these large concerts can occur every year. No more driving to Calgary or Edmonton to catch big names. Maybe the reverse will happen.

zerokarma
Jan 20, 2007, 2:43 PM
That's a huge profit for one show, how much of that did the Rolling Stones get?

Greco Roman
Jan 20, 2007, 4:15 PM
Most of the big name concerts in the prairies happen in Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg. Hell, even Saskatoon gets tones of concerts! But Regina for the most part always seems to be left out in the cold.

Maybe Regina should consider building a facility similar to Credit Union Centre to attract larger, more exciting concert venues on a reguar basis, such as the Stones.

Just a thought. :)

feepa
Jan 20, 2007, 4:35 PM

some may say it was 1 show, but it was 2 shows. 2 nights in a row. In any manner, great news for Regina.

yeeg
Jan 20, 2007, 5:08 PM
I heard the Stones charge 7 million to show up...Since they did 2 concerts, they might have given a better deal on the second show as everything is already there?

Regardless, its not really a surprise that a center such as Regina can draw large crowds and put on a great show...Just look at the past Grey Cups that have been held there....

Taller Better
Jan 20, 2007, 5:11 PM
^^ The Stones will soon have to start giving a Senior's discount. I can picture Mic Jagger with an Able Walker, and all of them wearing sparkly gold lame Depends!:haha: But you have to give them credit, they still put on an amazing concert.