PDA

View Full Version : do you think the prvoinces are too big?

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2007, 11:14 PM
or that they are a good size

do you think it would have benefitted Canada if its provinces were smaller? like state sizes down south - which are smaller

like perhaps break BC into 3 (i was thinking the island could be on its own) and Alberta into two etc.

Claeren
Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 PM
I think that 'economic 'city' zones/city-state's' will be the future of governance, and although it should already be happening, i think it will take 100+ years for it to actually happen.

It is funny that municiple government is taken the least seriously and federal the most seriously by most people, when in fact municiple government has FAR more to do with your quality of life on a day to day basis then federal (not to say that it is not important).

Claeren.

CCF
Jan 17, 2007, 11:20 PM

do you think it would have benefitted Canada if its provinces were smaller? like state sizes down south - which are smaller

like perhaps break BC into 3 (i was thinking the island could be on its own) and Alberta into two etc.

Imagine the population of the northern part of Manitoba if you were to split that into two.

Thompson, population 13,000 would be the capital.

SteelTown
Jan 17, 2007, 11:20 PM
*awaits for vid to create a new province called Northern Ontario*

401_King
Jan 17, 2007, 11:33 PM
they are WAY too big...it would be cooler if we had a bunch of smaller provinces

vid
Jan 17, 2007, 11:33 PM
No, it will be call Keewatin. Ojibwe for North. :)

I don't really have much of a problem with the size of the prvoinces or treeitories. However, with the Provinces, where there are both urban and rural areas, the major urban areas do get more attention. They should be split more demographically though. Vancouver Island is very different from the rest of BC, so it could be it's own province. Northern Ontario is very rural (about 60% of the population lives in towns of less than 10,000 people) and has far left social values, compared to Southern Ontario which is 90% urban and has a mix of left and right wing values.

More provinces would create bigger bureaucracy, though. But things would get done. Finally, after 25 years, the city would have a valid reason for why it stole a row of houses and demolished them for an interchange. :)

harls
Jan 17, 2007, 11:50 PM
No. Leave 'em alone.

Distill3d
Jan 17, 2007, 11:57 PM
the provinces are too big, but i wouldn't change them at all. i mean could you imagine Calgary and Edmonton not being in the same province? what would happen to the Battle of Alberta? or Toronto and Ottawa being in seperate provinces?

It wouldn't work too well. Especially in Alberta, both cities here function with each other (although, you would think against each other).

Lead
Jan 18, 2007, 1:36 AM
Well back in the day Vancouver Island and the mainland were different provinces. Vancouver Island has a much larger population then PEI though so it could easily be a province. I really do think we should have smaller provinces. As it is now the urban areas do not get enough attention and I think if each province were split up more there we would be less separatist movements since there would be more focus on smaller areas.

salvius
Jan 18, 2007, 2:51 AM
No they're fine.

In fact, I propose we merge some of them. Let's see:

PEI, NF, NS, NB -- all together; whats with all these small guys? From now on, a new province of Maritimeia.

Quebec can stay, or possibly merge NB into it instead.

Ontario annexes Manitoba and Saskatchewan; now we got ya!

BC and Alberta join, and maybe Saskatchewan can join them; we're fine with taking just Manitoba.

:)

flar
Jan 18, 2007, 2:58 AM
Newfoundland and Labrador wouldn't be part of the Maritimes, they'd have to be separate! The only changes that would make sense are combining the three Maritime provinces and adding part of NW Ontario to Manitoba. Otherwise they're good the way they are.

salvius
Jan 18, 2007, 3:00 AM
^ they've got not say in the matter. They are now a part of Maritimea, I don't care whether they like it or not!!!

And we annex Manitoba, not the other way around; then we pillage Winnipeg for gold and dabloons!

vid
Jan 18, 2007, 3:25 AM
But Winnipeg doesn't HAVE gold and dabloons!

salvius
Jan 18, 2007, 3:30 AM
^ ok, fine, we'll just take their virgins and possibly sacrifice them to our god.

Greco Roman
Jan 18, 2007, 3:30 AM
But Winnipeg doesn't HAVE gold and dabloons!

Oh yes it does. It's just that they are hidden so well, people forgot where they put em :D

HomeInMyShoes
Jan 18, 2007, 3:31 AM
Not based on population they aren't.

jawagord
Jan 18, 2007, 3:32 AM
I would say the opposite, most of the provinces are two small to be economically viable in the 21st century. In both the USA and Canada the big states are generally the more successful see California, Texas, Ontario.

I would leave BC as is. Combine Alberta and Sask into one province as the last premier of the NWT Frederick Haultain proposed in 1901. Add a portion of Western Ontario to Manitoba again as originally proposed 100 or so years ago. The rest of Ontario is big enough, leave Quebec as is and merge the 4 eastern provinces into one maritime province.

skyscraper_1
Jan 18, 2007, 3:36 AM
No they're fine.

PEI, NF, NS, NB -- all together; whats with all these small guys? From now on, a new province of Maritimeia.

BC and Alberta join, and maybe Saskatchewan can join them; we're fine with taking just Manitoba.

They where that size since they were colonies. Some people have suggested it is because of this that the economies of the Maritimes started to lag behind after 1910. While the other provinces had rich new resources to draw upon.

There are big differences in the cultures and economies of all three maritime provinces. That being said. I would be in favor of an Atlanitic Union or Atlantica province if everyone could agree it...which is nearly impossible.

I think the only provinces that could be slit are BC(into BC and Vancouver Island) or Alberta. Otherwise we would be creating vast new provinces with few people in them.

LordMandeep
Jan 18, 2007, 3:49 AM
Yeah you now how some provinces (the major cities) would damn rich then.

Distill3d
Jan 18, 2007, 4:02 AM
No they're fine.

and which of these superprovinces do you suppose would bank roll the other ones?

malek
Jan 18, 2007, 4:12 AM
we want the original quebec back ;)

http://www.library.yale.edu/MapColl/71-1760a.jpg

Greco Roman
Jan 18, 2007, 4:14 AM
we want the original quebec back ;)

http://www.library.yale.edu/MapColl/71-1760a.jpg

um...........yeah; probably not gonna happen, but one is entitled to his dreams ;)

The Jabroni
Jan 18, 2007, 5:23 AM
Nah, they're fine the way it is.

Smron
Jan 18, 2007, 5:40 AM
Every time I think about this topic (which, by the way, is quite rarely), I come to the conclusion that if the current provinces were split up into more provinces, the costs of having a provincial government in all of these places would outweigh whatever possible benefit there would be to splitting.

Only The Lonely..
Jan 18, 2007, 6:03 AM
^ they've got not say in the matter. They are now a part of Maritimea, I don't care whether they like it or not!!!

And we annex Manitoba, not the other way around; then we pillage Winnipeg for gold and dabloons!

I'll be long in the cold, cold, earth before I recognize Mantario as a province.

Only The Lonely..
Jan 18, 2007, 6:05 AM
^ ok, fine, we'll just take their virgins and possibly sacrifice them to our god.

McGuinty can find his own girls.

WHY-T
Jan 18, 2007, 6:11 AM
The large provinces (ON, QC) are quite big, but if they were split, it might cause more problems to some regions as they would likely not be able to sustain themselves. Say if you cut QC into north and south, or east and west, one of the new sides (the north or east) would probably fall into financial trouble as there is not enough economy and population to support itself. Basically, this could end up being more problems for the Federal as they suddenly have more jurisdictions to distribute funds and services.

salvius
Jan 18, 2007, 6:55 AM
I'll be long in the cold, cold, earth before I recognize Mantario as a province.

It's gonna be an old style annexation, and if ya don't like it, an invasion :whip:

someone123
Jan 18, 2007, 1:53 PM
Most provinces consist of small developed areas comparable to US states plus large, relatively undeveloped Northern areas that don't have enough people or are too widely dispersed to justify the creation of another province.

The Maritimes are basically arranged like US states. This is not surprising since they developed in the 17th and 18th centuries along with the Thirteen Colonies when there was basically nothing West of Quebec. They are geographically small but also densely inhabited. The region covers about 133,000 square kilometres, with just under two million people. That's about 1/5 the area of Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, and about 1/12 the size of Quebec.

realcity
Jan 18, 2007, 3:59 PM
too much of Canada is is in 4 cities. Never mind the provinces. According the Conference board of Canada, 2/3 of all new jobs in Canada are in 4 cities. Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Canada needs more cities, and/or more cities that are prospering. One day that's all they'll be is about 5 or 6 cities and that'll be 90% of the country.

big W
Jan 18, 2007, 5:00 PM
Canada needs more cities, and/or more cities that are prospering. One day that's all they'll be is about 5 or 6 cities and that'll be 90% of the country.

Well if you look at the 6 biggest metros right now (using the extended golden horse shoe and Abbottsford as an extension Vancouver), you would have 65% of the population.

feepa
Jan 18, 2007, 5:02 PM
We should go back to this maybe?

Make some of the districts actual provinces. Keewaatin wouldn't include TB though Vid, as you see here.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/mapping/mappingcanada/images/maps/1895.png

feepa
Jan 18, 2007, 5:04 PM
too much of Canada is is in 4 cities. Never mind the provinces. According the Conference board of Canada, 2/3 of all new jobs in Canada are in 4 cities. Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver.

how you can not include Edmonton on this, is beyond me. The job growth here is phenomenal

skyscraper_1
Jan 18, 2007, 6:26 PM
They are geographically small but also densely inhabited. The region covers about 133,000 square kilometres, with just under two million people. That's about 1/5 the area of Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, and about 1/12 the size of Quebec.

- that illustrates another good reason for some kind of Maritime Union. Individually each province seems unpopulated, but when you combine NS, NB and PEI together you get quite a concentration of people in a small area(by Canadian standards atleast). It would be much easier to attract more foreign investment because it seems like a bigger market.

LordMandeep
Jan 18, 2007, 8:30 PM
Yeah Ontario would be way down in the drains, if the Golden Horseshoe becomes a province.

Good for me, the new province would have much more wealth for itself.

Only The Lonely..
Jan 18, 2007, 9:16 PM
It's gonna be an old style annexation, and if ya don't like it, an invasion :whip:

We sent you Ontario boys packing in 1869, we'll do it again too. :rant:

Looks for my trusty swiss army knife and a pea shooter.

vid
Jan 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
We should go back to this maybe?

Make some of the districts actual provinces. Keewaatin wouldn't include TB though Vid, as you see here.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/mapping/mappingcanada/images/maps/1895.png

No, but considering how close to Thunder Bay those communities are (Thunder Bay, Kenora and Sioux Lookout are the regional hubs) it would only make sense to include Thunder Bay in Keewatin.

Too few people forget the war between Ontario and Manitoba in 1869. :(