PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Homicide stats in Canadian Cities

Pages : [1] 2 3

liferanger
Jan 10, 2007, 5:40 AM
Unfortunately it is a grim forum but I think alot of people find it interesting to compare these stats across Canada with other cities....:shrug:

Here in Edmonton, the news outlets have reported today 2 possible homicides in the last two days.....

Calgarian
Jan 10, 2007, 5:41 AM
Calgary is at 1 i believe

LordMandeep
Jan 10, 2007, 7:55 PM
Edmonton has surpassed Toronto for this short time.

Its at 1 and the holiday season had a lot of stuff going but it been quite for the least 8-9 days...

jeicow
Jan 11, 2007, 1:24 AM
Mississauga is at one too

vid
Jan 11, 2007, 2:34 AM
Thunder Bay is at zero. :)

I'm sorry. I'll wait until April to start bragging. Hey, with all the stabbings lately I may not get a chance!

Smron
Jan 11, 2007, 2:57 AM
I believe Winnipeg, at this time, is on pace to have 0 homicides in 2007.

1ajs
Jan 11, 2007, 3:12 AM
I believe Winnipeg, at this time, is on pace to have 0 homicides in 2007.

that would be freaking funny if that happend

archiwei
Jan 12, 2007, 10:37 AM
I might be the next one. hehehe

Built many houses, none is mine.
www.archiz.com (http://www.archiz.com)

habsfan
Jan 12, 2007, 3:08 PM
Could someone post the totals for 2006 for the top 15 or top 20 canadian cities?

NutmeG
Jan 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
ive only heard of one for Montreal this year but there might be more

Canuck
Jan 15, 2007, 4:42 AM
Body #4 was found in a Toronto park.

1ajs
Jan 19, 2007, 7:38 AM
i think we just had are first hopefuly we can go a long time befor the next one

Home news CJOB News
Police investigate homicide on Alfred Avenue
JAN 18 2007 02:10 PM
Bookmark Page Bookmark Page Email page to a friend Email to a friend Print Page Print Page

Click for RSS xml About RSS

Winnipeg police are investigating a homicide after the discovery of a body in a home on Alfred Avenue last night.

Police were called yesterday to check on a 36 year old man who hadn't been heard from in days.

When emergency staff went to his home in the 1100 block of Alfred they found his body inside.

His name has not been released. Details of the death are being withheld pending autopsy results. Anyone with information is asked to call police.

CJOB's Colleen Bready reporting.

EDIT:
corection that was number 2 i think

Murder Suspect Arrested
JAN 18 2007 05:10 PM
Bookmark Page Bookmark Page Email page to a friend Email to a friend Print Page Print Page

Click for RSS xml About RSS

Police have found their suspect.

A warrant for 2nd Degree Murder was issued yesterday for 31-year old Ovide Herman Moar in connection with the death of 29-year old Chadwick Lund of Winnipeg. This stems from a stabbing Tuesday night at a home in the 900 block of Alexander Avenue.

Police say Moar was located and has been arrested. He remains in custody.

CJOB News

vid
Jan 23, 2007, 2:14 AM
Murder confirmed in Fulton Boulevard incident (http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=91456)
Leith Dunick - Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/22/2007 8:18:42 PM

The stench was overwhelming.

It was also the first sign that something was terribly wrong inside a third-floor apartment at 625 Fulton Blvd., near Lakehead University.

Rhonda Bottos lives two units down a dingy, well-worn hallway from an apartment unit where the body of an as-yet unidentified woman was found just before 5 p.m. last Saturday.

"It was bad down here," she whispered, her voice shaking slightly at the memory. "In the morning I thought it was my garbage. So I took that out, thinking that was what the problem was, but the smell was in here thick. It smelled like sewage at first.

"I don’t throw up, and I came so close it wasn’t funny. When you see people throwing up on TV when they see that, that’s exactly what it makes your body feel like doing."

The woman’s body was discovered by a relative, who called 911 requesting police assistance. The incident was not made public until Monday morning.

Bottos said she was saddened to hear that police had determined it to be murder, and sadder still that she hadn’t taken the time to get to know the victim, who moved into the worn-down building about a month ago.

"Maybe if I’d known who she was, it might have made a difference in some way. I think it brings to light just how much someone can go unnoticed and completely unknown, and how sad it is that she was there for so long before someone realized something had happened," Bottos said.

Bottos wasn’t alone. Lakehead University students Kyle Oliver and Amanda Wise and their baby live next door , and the couple said they didn’t hear anything to alert them to what occurred a few short metres away.

"We don’t know what happened," Oliver said, cradling his sleeping baby in his arms.

For Wise, it’s an isolated incident, one that doesn’t have her worried about the neighbourhood or planning to move. Bottos tells a murkier tale, and spoke of strange men knocking on her door at four in the morning, vomit-covered carpets and tenants who think nothing of urinating outside the building at all hours of the day.

She can’t wait to find a new place to live, saying she’s afraid to raise her child in the midst of all the crime surrounding her.

"I’m always worried. I’m always scared," she said. "I mean, you look at somebody the wrong way sometimes and they get mad. It’s just basically about survival here. That’s pretty much all it is. The area, the cops are here all the time. It’s really bad."

Police have yet to release the cause of death. Spokesperson Chris Adams said an autopsy will be completed in the next couple of days, but had few other details to give, other than the fact police are continuing to investigate potential leads. Police have no suspect in the case either.

"At this point there is no one in custody," said Adams of the city’s first murder in 2007. "This is a very preliminary stage for the investigation, so there is a lot of legwork that has to be done."

A total of two murders occurred in Thunder Bay in 2006.

Taller Better
Jan 23, 2007, 2:58 AM
^^ See? Thunder Bay is no slouch!

vid
Jan 23, 2007, 3:15 AM
We had three in 2005. We're still on a downward trend!

I thought last year had only one? I only know about the guy that was shot in front of his house in Northwood.

This murder happened barely a kilometre from where I live.

1ajs
Jan 23, 2007, 3:24 AM
lol vid

vid
Jan 23, 2007, 3:40 AM
lol at what?

WhipperSnapper
Jan 23, 2007, 3:50 AM
what's the suicide rate in TB?

alps
Jan 23, 2007, 3:57 AM
Halifax (actually Dartmouth) is at 1 so far.

Greco Roman
Jan 23, 2007, 4:01 AM
Chalk another one up for Edmonton :( ; that makes 3.

ReginaGuy
Jan 23, 2007, 5:27 AM
um zero i think? the freaking year just began!

asher11
Jan 23, 2007, 1:21 PM
Toronto is up to 5. A murder-suicide. Guy stabbed his partner and then jumped in front of a train.

Canadian Mind
Jan 23, 2007, 1:55 PM
what's the suicide rate in TB?

well it all depends on how fast Vid's new next-door neighbours move in after the old ones kill themselves of course. :)

vid
Jan 23, 2007, 6:47 PM
^Your post makes no sense to me? :shrug:

TB's suicide rate isn't too high, but it sky rockets once you get on to the reserve. I don't have actual numbers, it is a problem but no one here ever talks about it.

PhilippeMtl
Jan 26, 2007, 12:11 PM
Montreal is at 3.
BY borough

NDG:1
RDP:1
Lachine : 1

liferanger
Jan 30, 2007, 6:04 AM
Edmonton chalked up #4 last week. A foster mother has been charged with killing a 3yr old....pretty bad, even for Edmonton...

SmileyBoy
Jan 30, 2007, 6:53 AM
Any in Regina yet??

Migs
Jan 30, 2007, 7:09 AM
Any in Regina yet??
Nope, why do you ask?

LordMandeep
Jan 30, 2007, 6:58 PM
thats bad for Edmonton considering its ahead of Montreal and just behind Toronto...

PhilippeMtl
Jan 30, 2007, 7:02 PM
Montreal is at 4, all related to street gang. We had 3 murders in the last 5 days.

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
Nope, why do you ask?

He was probably asking because the thread is called "2007 Homicide Stats in Canadian Cities."

CCF
Jan 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
He was probably asking because the thread is called "2007 Homicide Stats in Canadian Cities."

Welp, we are at 0.

Sorry to dissapoint.

vid
Jan 31, 2007, 1:28 PM
Do you know what that means??

Thunder Bay is the murder capitol again!! :D

malek
Jan 31, 2007, 3:28 PM
Laval is at one.

vid
Jan 31, 2007, 3:32 PM
But Thunder Bay has less people, so our one counts more! :tup:

drizzo_613
Feb 3, 2007, 7:41 PM
1st for Ottawa..passerby found a guy stabbed to death DT

ldoto
Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
London is at two.

LordMandeep
Feb 4, 2007, 1:14 AM
the recent man to get murdered in London came from my high school. I also met the guy who murdered him as well. He was a strange guy but a murderer?

ldoto
Feb 4, 2007, 5:35 PM
:previous: Good for you!:shrug:

Canuck
Feb 5, 2007, 6:25 AM
6 total for Toronto, 4 of which by guns.

Calgarian
Feb 5, 2007, 7:31 AM
Calgary is up to 3. Speaking of knowing someone who commited a murder, I knew the wack job that killed his 12yr old girlfriends family in Medicine Hat last summer. I went to high school with him, always seemd a little off but i never thought he was a killer.

circle33
Feb 5, 2007, 2:22 PM
Saskatoon has anted up.

Sounds fishy, this one...click (http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/story.html?id=65ee35dc-a2aa-49b7-adfa-54574c71e745&k=26800). Domestic in nature, perps caught. Streets are safe for now.

Hed Kandi
Feb 5, 2007, 2:27 PM
Hahahaha !!! Funniest thread of the year ! :notacrook:

Edmonton and Winnipeg are the shit holes of Canada . :jester:

Greco Roman
Feb 5, 2007, 2:43 PM
Edmonton and Winnipeg are the shit holes of Canada . :jester:

Real classy. :gtfo2:

Rob D
Feb 7, 2007, 4:53 AM
Calgary is up to 3. Speaking of knowing someone who commited a murder, I knew the wack job that killed his 12yr old girlfriends family in Medicine Hat last summer. I went to high school with him, always seemd a little off but i never thought he was a killer.

My parents know the most of his family. Very nice people apparently, but something went wrong with junior obviously.

malek
Feb 7, 2007, 6:56 AM
One for Longueuil

PhilippeMtl
Feb 7, 2007, 12:07 PM
6 for Montreal. All related to street gangs.

syktron
Feb 13, 2007, 9:50 PM
#7 in Montreal.... a few blocks from my home :eek:

SteelTown
Feb 17, 2007, 4:46 PM
At least 3 dead in Hamilton multiple-stabbing U
pdated Sat. Feb. 17 2007 11:32 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Police in Hamilton, Ont. have confirmed three deaths after an overnight multiple stabbing incident at a night club.

Two of the dead men are 18 and 19 years old, CTV News has learned.

Several others were rushed to hospital with undisclosed injuries.

The violence is alleged to have occurred at the Dizzy Weasel hip hop bar.

An employee of a nearby restaurant told CTV he saw one body on the ground covered by a tarp.

Police are investigating the deaths.

More to come...

Canuck
Feb 17, 2007, 9:48 PM
Toronto - 7
Surrounding Suburbs - 4

PhilippeMtl
Feb 18, 2007, 4:04 PM
Montreal Police Territory is at 8
Laval Police territory at 1
Longueuil Police Territory at 1

Police continue to tell us than street gang is not a problem in Montreal when 6 of the 8 homicides are related to street gangs....

Mike K.
Feb 18, 2007, 6:50 PM
Victoria has one for sure but I think there might be a second already. Cops found a body in a house but they're not saying if its suspicious or not.

LordMandeep
Feb 18, 2007, 8:31 PM
i have a question why were the early 90's such a violent time in North America.

It had record numbers of murders in all of the American Cities almost a thousand in the LA and New York, however it even spread to Toronto which had a record 82 murders in 1992. We only got close to that number in 2005, but last year and the other years we had almost 12-20 fewer murders.The population has gone up in most of these cities as well.

Doady
Feb 18, 2007, 9:34 PM

Probably because of recession

malek
Feb 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
yep bad economy = more crime :)

MonkeyRonin
Feb 19, 2007, 5:14 AM
It was the tail end of the crack epidemic as well.

malek
Feb 19, 2007, 2:28 PM
now 9 in montreal, again gang related.

syktron
Feb 22, 2007, 8:03 PM

It had record numbers of murders in all of the American Cities almost a thousand in the LA and New York, however it even spread to Toronto which had a record 82 murders in 1992. We only got close to that number in 2005, but last year and the other years we had almost 12-20 fewer murders.The population has gone up in most of these cities as well.

The war for control of the lucrative crack market.

vid
Feb 22, 2007, 8:15 PM
Police mum on homicide case
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 2/21/2007 8:00:30 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=92725

The investigation into Thunder Bay's first homicide of 2007 is now a month old and police still appear reluctant to talk about what, if any progress is being made to solve the case.

The body of 45-year-old Karla Desrosier was found in a Fulton Boulevard apartment on January 20 but news of the discovery was not released until two days later. Other than releasing the victim's name and confirming the body was found by an unnamed family member, police are saying little else.

While they claim they are still awaiting results of forensic tests and have interviewed several people, no other information has been made available. They have even refused to confirm the apartment where the body was found was the victim's home. Police spokesperson Chris Adams will only say all other information regarding the crime is being withheld for 'evidentiary reasons.'

Still at one.

Greco Roman
Feb 24, 2007, 10:34 PM
Edmonton is now at 7 murders.

Canuck
Feb 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
Toronto - 7
Surrounding Suburbs - 4
No change thus far.

LordMandeep
Feb 26, 2007, 12:21 AM
well we can say that the guns and gangs porblem in Toronto is still an issue, but nothing compared to before like 2005 to early 2006.

PhilippeMtl
Feb 26, 2007, 12:41 AM
Montreal is at 11.
Longueuil (Brossard) is at 2.
Laval still at 1.

basilbrush
Feb 26, 2007, 6:07 AM

#6 was quite gruesome - police broke in while the victim was being sawed into pieces in his bathtub by his three attackers. Police were called by the person occupying the apartment below who had noticed blood seeping through his ceiling.

*wow! ...and this is my 800th post?

mmmatt
Feb 26, 2007, 6:19 AM
Any in Regina yet??

Yes now...

1 total for Regina

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/02/09/murder.html

mmmatt
Feb 26, 2007, 6:34 AM
I couldnt find the 2006 #s anywhere...but heres the 2005 ones:

2005 Homicides, Census metropolitan area (CMA)

500,000+ population

Edmonton

# = 44
Rate = 4.29

Winnipeg

# = 26
Rate = 3.72

Vancouver

# = 62
Rate = 2.88

Calgary

# = 26
Rate = 2.45

Toronto

# = 104
Rate = 1.96

Hamilton

# = 11
Rate = 1.58

Montréal

# = 48
Rate = 1.31

Ottawa

# = 11
Rate = 1.25

Québec

# = 5
Rate = 0.69

100,000 to 499,999 population

Regina

# = 8
Rate = 3.97

Saskatoon

# = 9
Rate = 3.68

Kingston

# = 5
Rate = 3.24

St. Catharines–Niagara

# = 14
Rate = 3.22

London

# = 14
Rate = 2.97

Halifax

# = 10
Rate = 2.63

Abbotsford

# = 4
Rate = 2.46

Thunder Bay

# = 3
Rate = 2.41

Windsor

# = 5
Rate = 1.50

U]Kitchener[/U]

# = 7
Rate = 1.44

Greater Sudbury / Grand Sudbury

# = 2
Rate = 1.24

St. John's

# = 2
Rate = 1.10

Gatineau

# = 3
Rate = 1.05

Saguenay

# = 1
Rate = 0.68

Victoria

# = 2
Rate = 0.60

Oshawa

# = 1
Rate = 0.30

Sherbrooke

# = 0
Rate = 0.00

Trois-Rivières

# = 0
Rate = 0.00

Saint John

# = 0
Rate = 0.00

LordMandeep
Feb 27, 2007, 2:26 AM
Toronto

# = 104
Rate = 1.96

strange this was the worst year in a decade here and it appears were still better off then most of the countries.

Elwood
Feb 27, 2007, 6:46 PM

We can regretfully add another one to this list ... a guy shot his wife's cousin in a downtown apartment last night.
What's that, five in ten days?

Watch out New Orleans!

Champion3
Feb 27, 2007, 7:57 PM
Funny, I must have been going to that high school at the same time as you, then.

mersar
Feb 27, 2007, 8:10 PM
Calgary has one more, mother killed her teenage daughter. Still pending on another that is being investigated thats suspicious.

PhilippeMtl
Mar 1, 2007, 2:00 PM
Calgary has one more, mother killed her teenage daughter.

Same story for # 12, only the second not linked with street gangs.

EDIT:They are not sure if it is a suicide or no, so we dropped to 11.

LordMandeep
Mar 1, 2007, 2:20 PM
All is quite in Toronto as it is still at 7, but we can add one more for 5 for the suburbs.

to comapre to the big American cities...
New York is at 51 (8 million people)
LA is at 50 (4 million people)
Chicago is at 41 (2.8 million people)
Philly is at 60 (1.5 million people)

Philly is wacked man!

PhilippeMtl
Mar 1, 2007, 2:31 PM
All is quite in Toronto as it is still at 7, but we can add one more for 5 for the suburbs.

to comapre to the big American cities...
New York is at 51 (8 million people)
LA is at 50 (4 million people)
Chicago is at 41 (2.8 million people)
Philly is at 60 (1.5 million people)

Philly is wacked man!

If you add Camden and other suburbs, I am sure they are not far from 100.. Very sad, Philadelphia is a too pretty city to be in this situation...

ScottFromCalgary
Mar 2, 2007, 7:06 AM
#6 was quite gruesome - police broke in while the victim was being sawed into pieces in his bathtub by his three attackers. Police were called by the person occupying the apartment below who had noticed blood seeping through his ceiling.

Holy fuck...what the hell is going on up there?

mersar
Mar 2, 2007, 7:39 AM
And one more for Calgary, and one pending still. Latest was a 18 year old girl apparently killed by her ex-boyfriend who may have attempted to take his own life afterwards. He's in hospital now, but CPS isn't saying much yet aside from he hasn't talked to them yet.

Do we have an actual number for Calgary? I keep hearing different values depending on which source (anywhere from 4 to 7 I keep hearing), and CPS hasn't mentioned a total this year in any press release yet.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 2, 2007, 4:20 PM
Mersar, the one in Citadel makes 5. If the elderly guy in the SE was murdered (still haven't heard), that would make 6. Bad few days- I think Feb's almost nonstop snow made everybody a little crazy... some a lot crazy....

drew
Mar 2, 2007, 4:28 PM
Seems to be the opposite effect in Winnipeg. It's been a cold snowy winter thus far, and our the number of murders compared to last year are at 3 this year, down from 5 last year at this time...

(thank-you "crimestat"...)

PhilippeMtl
Mar 2, 2007, 4:31 PM
# 3 in Brossard. A policeman has been shot to dead an a second one is severly injured during a drug bust this morning. A third person, one of the suspects, is also injured.

Cop dies after being shot in the head in drug bust near Montreal

BROSSARD, Que. (CP) - There are unconfirmed reports that a police officer has died after being shot in a drug bust south of Montreal.

Montreal radio station CJAD says it has learned from sources that the officer died after being shot in Brossard, Que. Two officers from the police force in Laval, north of Montreal, were conducting a drug investigation in Brossard when they were shot.

At least one suspect is in custody and another is also injured.

Laval police are holding a news conference later today.

Police say gunfire was exchanged in a residential section of the community during one of eight drug investigations in Laval and Brossard.

It has been nearly 15 months since the Laval police force was shaken by the shooting death of Const. Valerie Gignac, 25.

Gignac was the first woman police officer to die in the line of duty since Montreal Const. Odette Pinard was slain in 1995.

LordMandeep
Mar 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
the snow has chilled things in Toronto

Greco Roman
Mar 3, 2007, 2:26 AM
Toronto gets snow? :haha:

Just kidding, folks.

LordMandeep
Mar 3, 2007, 3:19 AM
yeah about 15cm fell and some freezing rain. Schools been out for 2 days for most kids and the roads were light on friday. A lot of people stayed home.
Hotels were booked solid downtown, Thrusday night, as it took 2-3 hrs to get home because of the snow. Some people thought lets just stay near work.

lol, only in Toronto, does some snow cause an emergency...

ReginaGuy
Mar 3, 2007, 3:39 AM
Its been snowing here for almost 4 days straight. Not a lot of snow, but constand light snow. Its seriously driving me insane

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 3, 2007, 5:17 AM
yeah about 15cm fell and some freezing rain. Schools been out for 2 days for most kids and the roads were light on friday. A lot of people stayed home.
Hotels were booked solid downtown, Thrusday night, as it took 2-3 hrs to get home because of the snow. Some people thought lets just stay near work.

lol, only in Toronto, does some snow cause an emergency...

We would never get 15cm of WET heavy dangerous snow AND freezing rain atop in Calgary. If we did, the city would grind to a halt- not only do we have next to zero snow removal; we also have disastrously incompetent winter drivers. Bad mix.

I lived in Toronto when we had the 100+ cm in three consecutive blizzards. The national guard (a resource used in Washington DC when they had 4 INCHES of snow, people) were needed. My neighbour died in that mess when an ambulance could not make it down my street (Follis Ave, west of the Annex). She died. It wasn't a joke.

vid
Mar 3, 2007, 8:48 AM
About 10cm of snow here in TBay didn't stop someone from being stabbed half to death and wandering a few blocks to their apartment. Had the blood not been discovered by a neighbour, it would have been number two. A woman was charged for attempted murder.

We have snow removal steady, graters have been going by every 20 minutes and a plow cleared out the back alley about an hour ago. :P

LordMandeep
Mar 3, 2007, 4:23 PM
so your telling me Montreal and Toronto have better snow clearing then Calgary???

back to topic, the last murder was on Valentines day....

ScottFromCalgary
Mar 3, 2007, 7:33 PM
^^ We spend half of what Edmonton spends on snow removal. Chinooks come along every two to three weeks and melt a lot of the snow, so we just kinda tough it out.

malek
Mar 3, 2007, 8:18 PM
you guys talking about 15 cms ?? hahahahahaahhahaah did you call the army ?;)

we got 34 cms yesterday during the day, I remember driving on dry highways yesterday evening, snow was being removed in the night in downtown and major boulevards.

mersar
Mar 4, 2007, 8:37 AM
Another possible for Calgary, preliminary ruling on a elderly woman found dead last night is homicide, plus they fished a body out of the river yesterday as well (likely suicide, but you never know). Plus still no word on the guy who died last week.

LordMandeep
Mar 4, 2007, 6:06 PM
15 cm is no problem, its the damn freezing rain...

b13
Mar 4, 2007, 7:49 PM
yes and they have to close some roads near the CN Tower because ice is falling of the tower. lol

vid
Mar 4, 2007, 9:51 PM
Canada. We turned a thread about murder into a discussion about weather.

mersar
Mar 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
Well the weather is a fairly significant killer :P

And Calgary is at 6 now officially.

b13
Mar 4, 2007, 11:16 PM
what is Toronto at?

LordMandeep
Mar 5, 2007, 1:53 AM
7 , last was valentines day. The gun crime problem has been solved so far..... (DRAMATIC MUSIC)!!!!

Americans can fanthom the fact just because you have millions of people doesn't mean its acceptable to have 100 or more murders every year.

TheMeltyMan
Mar 5, 2007, 5:14 AM
High murder rates are a bragging right in the US for yuppies in the suburbs or in the posh neighbourhoods. Philly kids think they get rep because they average some 1.5 murders a day.

LordMandeep
Mar 10, 2007, 5:14 PM
8 for the city, 6 for the outer suburbs.

Also i found out that Stockholm, Sweden has 71 murders last year...

vid
Mar 10, 2007, 5:27 PM
I wonder if Stockholm's rise would be because of the increase in Iraqi immigrants? Likely not as they're mostly professionals though. Rather perplexing. One usually doesn't associate murder and Scandinavia.

"Because, you know, Vikings NEVER killed anyone! :rolleyes:"

vid
Mar 12, 2007, 6:08 PM
Mother witnesses son's death
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 3/12/2007 2:00:55 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=93473

A mother's sixth sense proved right and she was a witness to the stabbing death of her son over the weekend.

The 24-year-old victim was raised in Kenora and was killed in a back alley fight in Winnipeg. Greg Skead was stabbed several times after spending the evening drinking at a local bar with friends and his mother.

His mother, Genevieve Skead said there was no trouble at the bar but she sensed things weren't right between her son and one of his friends. When they left the bar to go home, the young men told her they were going elsewhere, so she followed them.

She saw someone fall to the ground and ran to the laneway where she found her son. The young man's parents say they expect to return their son's body to Kenora to be buried.

A 22-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder.

Chalk one up for Winnipeg. :(

b13
Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 AM
i think Toronto is at 13? can someone confirm this?

LordMandeep
Mar 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
no its a 8 for the city plus 6 for its burbs (mississauga,York region, Oshawa)