PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of Minneapolis-St. Paul (Twin Cities)

Wheelingman04
Dec 14, 2006, 7:12 AM
I have not been back to the Twin Cities since 2002 and unfortunately didn't get to spend much time there so I don't think I can have a very accurate opinion of the cities other than that Minneapolis's skyline blew me away and the downtown area was clean and vibrant. What is your opinion?

UrbanSophist
Dec 14, 2006, 7:23 AM
If I wanted to stay in the midwest, but leave Chicago, I would be living in the Twin Cities.

SuperstarMark
Dec 28, 2006, 1:57 AM
I like Minneapolis a lot. Visited twice now (both times in the winter, of course). Downtown is sparkling clean, gorgeous architecture and skyscrapers. Seems like a good deal of commerce and activity, too. If I had to relocate to Minneapolis, I would not be unhappy. Everyone I know who lives there, loves it.

seaskyfan
Dec 28, 2006, 3:57 AM
Great cities, great state. I wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the weather (I can handle the winters - the summers would kill me).

Xelebes
Dec 28, 2006, 7:04 AM
I guess it is Winnipeg South?

MtnClimber
Dec 28, 2006, 8:11 AM
Great cities, great state. I wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the weather (I can handle the winters - the summers would kill me).

ya the summers are to humid and yucky.

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Dec 28, 2006, 4:01 PM
I love Minneapolis. Without a doubt the greatest city in America east of the colorado river. I go there ev'ry year. I would live there but it is simply unaffordable.

Steely Dan
Dec 28, 2006, 4:29 PM
I would live there but it is simply unaffordable.
i don't follow. how can anyone from LA claim that the twin cities are unaffordable?

as for my opinion of the twins (the cities, not the MLB team), i love 'em. i lived up in st. paul for a couple years, had a great time up there. two fine cities with a bright future.

MtnClimber
Dec 28, 2006, 6:10 PM
I love Minneapolis. Without a doubt the greatest city in America east of the colorado river. I go there ev'ry year. I would live there but it is simply unaffordable.

your kidding right?

Marcu
Dec 28, 2006, 6:40 PM
A great all around city with great people. Very affordable too. The only downside is there aren't many roadtrip options since it is a little isolated. Nearest city with pop. over 1mil is Chicago 450 miles away. The airport is pricey to fly out of/into too.

Xelebes
Dec 28, 2006, 11:14 PM

He'll be back tomorrow evening, folks!

samne
Dec 28, 2006, 11:45 PM
Ive only been to the Twin Cities once. I was there in the winter so it had a very Canadian atmosphere to it. The architecture was more pleasant than stunning. Urban landscape is built into the natural environment and not paved over it. I didnt get out enough but it had a chilled-out atmosphere as opposed to sleepy.

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 1:42 AM
One of my favourite American cities, I'm proud to share a hockey market with them. :)

Stephenapolis
Dec 29, 2006, 2:47 AM
A great all around city with great people. Very affordable too. The only downside is there aren't many roadtrip options since it is a little isolated. Nearest city with pop. over 1mil is Chicago 450 miles away. The airport is pricey to fly out of/into too.

It all depends on where you want to go on a roadtrip. Roadtrips don't need to be about visiting a big city. The small towns within a few hours drive make up for all of that IMO. They are relaxing roadtrips. The only thing you need to really worry about is animals running out in front of you.
This market is a bit highly priced though. I can barely afford to live in the metro, but it is worth it to be here. There are always options for things to do in the cities. Too many good cuisines to list. Not nearly as good as Chicago, but I place us higher than most other metros of our size.

Doug
Dec 29, 2006, 3:03 AM
I guess it is Winnipeg South?

That was what I assumed until I visited. MSP is definately one of the most desirable large cities in the US. It is suprisingly white collar, friendly and oriented towards outdoor recreation.

kool maudit
Dec 29, 2006, 4:54 AM
doug: how can a city itself be oriented towards outdoor recreation? don't you have to leave a city to participate in such things?

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 4:59 AM
The city could promote it. When you see an ad to go to Vancouver, it usually points out Whistler at some point, doesn't it? Or perhaps a beach?

Wheelingman04
Dec 29, 2006, 5:15 AM
I have always wondered why the Twin Cities are fairly expensive?

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 5:16 AM
High quality of life? High demand? Clean air? All Minnesotans are total rip offs and like to screw people?

That last one actually sounds kinda exciting! Duluth, here I come! :D

Segun
Dec 29, 2006, 5:21 AM
I've learned here that the terms "outdoor-oriented" and "laid-back" are usually reserved for cities that are light on the city. The first distinction is ironic because the city you would never call "outdoorsy", NYC, without a doubt has the most people outdoors on any given day in the US and Canada.

Minneapolis is very clean and its downtown is nice during the day, but not that notable. It looks its size: very modest wooden shacks, leading up to mild , sporadic commercial streets, and a large modern downtown. I thought it was missing some sort of "Minneapolis-style" architectural distinction in its vernacular or maybe I didn't find one.

However, downtown Minneapolis is ridiculous at night, you could throw it in a huge city and you wouldn't even know the difference. It had 8 times the amount of foot traffic I saw during the day. I'm guessing its one of those cities where downtown is the main nightlife destination for most folks, and it is a metro of 5 million or so.

What I was most dissapointed with was the new light rail. It seemed like it had three destinations: downtown, the airport and the mall. Outside of that, it really didn't stop near any interesting neighborhoods. There was one stop near a drive-in Burger King and not much else. To be frank, it really gave a bleak view of Minneapolis.

I didn't visit St.Paul.

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 5:23 AM
Good nightlife is a sign of a good city. :)

trueviking
Dec 29, 2006, 5:36 AM
actually, st. paul is like winnipeg south....older, more blue collar, river and rail oriented, capital city...heavy distinctive architecture....older houses on long tree lined streets....it is a beautiful city and should not be missed on a visit to the twin cities...the new arena there is awesome.

minneapolis is an interesting place....the downtown is slick and modern, but not especailly full of life...great skyline, but not particularily urban for a city its size.

the most amazing thing about the city is the urban lakes...they are like little rural oases in the middle of the city...really beautiful and unique.

overall, MSP is highly underrated...it is overshadowed by chicago in the midwest....we here in canada think of montreal as this huge important metropolis but MSP is almost the same size.... it never is percieved as a major american city though (the twins are always considered a small market team for some odd reason)...it doesnt have a huge regional influence, i guess.

it is amazing the number of major corporations that are based in minni....

they have scored a boat load of new buildings by some of the world's most famous and cutting edge architects in the last little while....even one of gehry's first crinkly tin buildings is there.

great university.

the mall is overrated.

i have always thought that minneapolis/st.paul is like calgary and winnipeg jammed together.

it is really bizarre that two completely indepentent cities grew up with totally different urban character right beside each other.

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 5:37 AM
Why Calgary?

trueviking
Dec 29, 2006, 5:45 AM
slick, modern, steel and glass....very new and clean...white collar and full of money....large skyline....sprawling suburbs.

vid
Dec 29, 2006, 5:47 AM
Ok.. I guess I was thinking in a more demographic/economic sense. It isn't really a hot spot for interstate migration (though it has a good sized Muslim population) and it doesn't have oil. But I get what you're trying to say.

trueviking
Dec 29, 2006, 6:28 AM
Ok.. I guess I was thinking in a more demographic/economic sense. It isn't really a hot spot for interstate migration (though it has a good sized Muslim population) and it doesn't have oil. But I get what you're trying to say.

they are both very white collar, corporate cities...big economies...fast moving...fast growing.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1161/mnj5.jpg

Wheelingman04
Dec 30, 2006, 4:24 AM
^ That is a very neat comparison.

vid
Dec 30, 2006, 4:34 AM
Skylines don't say too much, but they do have a pretty good resemblance. IDS is about 250M isn't it? It's also done by a famous Architect (P Johnson) so I would think that it will be even more comparable when Bow Tower is complete in Calgary.

trueviking
Dec 30, 2006, 7:50 AM
Skylines don't say too much, but they do have a pretty good resemblance. IDS is about 250M isn't it? It's also done by a famous Architect (P Johnson) so I would think that it will be even more comparable when Bow Tower is complete in Calgary.

the comparins are way beyond skyline.

calgary and minneapolis are both white collar, clean, steel and glass, sprawling suburb, somewhat sterile urban centres, modern feel with agressive attitudes, vibrant, fast growing and fast paced cities with similar corporate driven economies....neither has much in the way of historic buildings and both have bloated skylines....both are airline hubs.

winnipeg and st. paul are both older, blue collar, river and rail based, heavy buildings with lots of 'chicago style' architecture, slower paced, tree lined residential neighbourhoods that follow the meandering river, both have similar capital buildings that edge of their downtowns, both have large arts communities, both have a landmark cathedral...both are cities defined by their old characteristic neighbourhoods.

they are both underdog cities.

thats just my take on it....its the impression i get when i am in the twin cities.

vid
Dec 30, 2006, 7:53 AM
Minneapolis has the oldest 12+ storey building in the world outside of New York, actually. :) I don't know about you, but I consider that history. ;)

But I do understand your comparison and agree with them, if I haven't already said that.

trueviking
Dec 30, 2006, 7:56 AM
seriously?...any pics of it?...very cool.

i meant older 'feeling' really...just to clarify...they are probably a similar age, i would guess.

vid
Dec 30, 2006, 7:57 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Lumber_Exchange_Building_Minneapolis.jpg/483px-Lumber_Exchange_Building_Minneapolis.jpg

Lumber Exchange Building. Isn't it beautiful? :)

Technically, the last two floors were added later.. But, I like saying it's the oldest. Technically, as well, it is.

Minneapolis has a rich architectural history, sadly, A LOT of them were lost in the 1950s-1980s modernisation trend. :(

SSLL
Dec 30, 2006, 9:42 PM
Seems really clean and friendly. Like Canada

larryfla
Dec 31, 2006, 12:32 AM
I have not been back to the Twin Cities since 2002 and unfortunately didn't get to spend much time there so I don't think I can have a very accurate opinion of the cities other than that Minneapolis's skyline blew me away and the downtown area was clean and vibrant. What is your opinion?

Great city. Very clean, vibrant. Too far from the ocean and far too many farmers and liberals (I mean real liberal liberals) there. Oh yes, lots of mosquitos and cold weather. Great place though.

JivecitySTL
Dec 31, 2006, 1:04 AM
"far too many liberals"???

Is that even possible? Liberals are the future baby!

dharper6
Dec 31, 2006, 1:12 AM
Visited the Twin Cities on business in July 2000. Unfortunately, we stayed across the street from the Mall of the Americas in Bloomington. That particular area of Bloomington was really bland and uninteresting at the time, and there was a lot of litter around the mall. However, we drove into Minneapolis and I loved it. Everyone on the trip did. The downtown is indeed nice and the neighborhoods in general were really attractive. I also liked the good freeway infrastructure. Didn't make it to St. Paul, but next time I will.

dharper6
Dec 31, 2006, 1:16 AM
"far too many liberals"???

Is that even possible? Liberals are the future baby!

Not that I want to debate liberal vs conservative (this isn't the forum for that), but in general it's the cities with progressive thinking people that are growing the most and are the cities of the future. At least that's what an article in the Austin paper said a couple of years ago. There was some study quoted. There may be exceptions, but I would bet it's true in general.

MtnClimber
Dec 31, 2006, 7:20 AM
Not that I want to debate liberal vs conservative (this isn't the forum for that), but in general it's the cities with progressive thinking people that are growing the most and are the cities of the future. At least that's what an article in the Austin paper said a couple of years ago. There was some study quoted. There may be exceptions, but I would bet it's true in general.

I recently spent sometime in Minneapolis, and even though it is somewhat liberal, it is a strange kind of liberalism with a conservative bent.

My biggest complaint of minneapolis is that no one really shops downtown. There are large crowds downtown at night, but it is mostly college aged kids and thugs who go out to clubs.

Other then that Minneapolis is ok. Being that I am from the pacific northwest I consider the summers to be to hot and humid. Otherwise its a nice place.

LyndaleHoosier
Dec 31, 2006, 4:40 PM
Good point, Mtnclimber...

I've lived here about 8 years and still keep waiting for downtown retail in Mpls to bounce back and create a true shopping district. Saks Fifth Avenue turned their full-line dept. store into an Off 5th outlet store, Neiman-Marcus is pretty darn small, Macy's is doing renovations, which help the look of the store, but their sales are suffering overall. I sometimes think there aren't enough "mall-type" stores to lure the families downtown to shop. There is Gap, Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Macy's, Neiman-Marcus, Off 5th, Talbot's, Ann Taylor, Ralph Lauren, Kuhlman, various jewelry stores, etc. I hate to say it, but I feel like we are missing the Abercrombies, Express, Limiteds of the world which is the reason teens (therefore parents) would come downtown to shop.

Mpls City Center used to have all the Limited stores (Express, Victoria's Secret, Structure), but they all closed up shop. There used to be another mall (The Conservatory) that had more high-end shops and places like Pottery Barn and Room & Board were along the Nicollet Mall too, but they are gone as well.

I know I'll probably get jumped on my people saying we needed differentiation downtown (and I fully agree), BUT I think you need some more "in-line" stores that people/teens are used to shopping at mixed in with the distinct downtown type of stores.

That's my 2 cents on retail. :)

Stephenapolis
Dec 31, 2006, 5:26 PM
Even if we did get those stores dt, how many people would actually shop at them? People would continue to shop at the suburban malls and "Lifestyle Centers". For the suburbanites the malls are much closer and they do not have to pay for parking. So there is little reason to go all the way to dt to shop. Why should they?

texcolo
Dec 31, 2006, 5:27 PM
Great city. Very clean, vibrant. Too far from the ocean and far too many farmers and liberals (I mean real liberal liberals) there. Oh yes, lots of mosquitos and cold weather. Great place though.

Al Franken broadcasts his Air America show from downtown Minnie.

MtnClimber
Dec 31, 2006, 6:36 PM
I can't say what minneapolis is like now, but when I was there it seemed to be turning more conservative. The suburbs were growing, and becoming more conservative. In many ways minneapolis is a progressive city, but it is increasibgly becoming surrounded by more conservative suburbs who seem to be changing the dynamic of the region.

And as far as retail downtown goes, I am not really sure what is going to change the situation. People would rather shop at the mall of america over downtown. Its really a shame.

MtnClimber
Dec 31, 2006, 6:36 PM
I can't say what minneapolis is like now, but when I was there it seemed to be turning more conservative. The suburbs were growing, and becoming more conservative. In many ways minneapolis is a progressive city, but it is increasingly becoming surrounded by more conservative suburbs who seem to be changing the dynamic of the region.

And as far as retail downtown goes, I am not really sure what is going to change the situation. People would rather shop at the mall of america over downtown. Its really a shame.

dktshb
Dec 31, 2006, 6:51 PM
I can't say what minneapolis is like now, but when I was there it seemed to be turning more conservative. The suburbs were growing, and becoming more conservative. In many ways minneapolis is a progressive city, but it is increasingly becoming surrounded by more conservative suburbs who seem to be changing the dynamic of the region.

I have never been to Minneapolis-St Paul but the cities seem to represent well.

Wooster
Dec 31, 2006, 7:42 PM
Interesting comparison trueviking. A city that is a combo of Calgary and Winnipeg seems pretty sweet to me. I have wanted to go to the twin cities for a few years now. Still haven't had the chance though. Hopefully soon. It is hard to believe how big a city it actually is - 3 million? Seems like a place I could live.

Hoodrat
Dec 31, 2006, 8:24 PM

The heat wouldn't bother me at all. Having everything frozen solid for weeks (months?) on end would seriously depress me. I like snow for about 1 day.

Minneapolis is cool though (home of Prince:tup:).

Stephenapolis
Dec 31, 2006, 8:37 PM
Our frigid winters make it easier to enjoy the rest of the months, From spring to autumn, you really appreciate it more. Plus IMO the winters are not nearly as bad as people think.

Debauchalapolis
Dec 31, 2006, 8:47 PM
I can't say what minneapolis is like now, but when I was there it seemed to be turning more conservative. The suburbs were growing, and becoming more conservative. In many ways minneapolis is a progressive city, but it is increasibgly becoming surrounded by more conservative suburbs who seem to be changing the dynamic of the region.

You can say this about almost every metro area in the country. The inner cities tend to be more liberal while their faster growing suburbs and exurbs are conservative.

I think it's a shame that people have to pay to park if they want to shop downtown. It's even a bigger shame that these shoppers are constantly hassled by panhandlers and intimidated by thugs. Also, it's not like the MOA is the only alternative to downtown. Most locals prefer other malls such as Southdale, Rosedale or Ridgedale over the Mall of America.

MtnClimber
Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 PM
You can say this about almost every metro area in the country. The inner cities tend to be more liberal while their faster growing suburbs and exurbs are conservative. .

some not all. It just seems that minneapolis is becoming more and more conservative. I am not saying thats good or bad.

Paintballer1708
Dec 31, 2006, 10:59 PM
I think it is a great metropolis. Two great cities with two great skylines. They are home to major corporations and has a strong growing economy. Makes my list of top 5 places i would want to live.

mhays
Jan 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
Even if we did get those stores dt, how many people would actually shop at them? People would continue to shop at the suburban malls and "Lifestyle Centers". For the suburbanites the malls are much closer and they do not have to pay for parking. So there is little reason to go all the way to dt to shop. Why should they?

Suburbanites aren't required, at least not in large numbers.

You can succeed based on inner city residents, downtown residents, downtown workers, locals visiting events, tourists, and business travelers.

Stephenapolis
Jan 1, 2007, 12:37 AM
Suburbanites aren't required, at least not in large numbers.

You can succeed based on inner city residents, downtown residents, downtown workers, locals visiting events, tourists, and business travelers.

True. But most of the workers bolt for home right after work. Dt residents are the ones that really are adding to the life of dt. Dt events do keep some people dt for awhile, but most do not spend that much.

AZheat
Jan 1, 2007, 12:58 AM
JoshWhite,
You bear a striking resemblance to Bob Villa. Could you help me build a shed?
Vid,
Is the Lumber Exchange Building the place where people go to swap trees?
Sorry, I've had a couple of drinks.
But seriously, the Twin Cities is the only big city between Chicago and Seattle in the northern part of the country and of course it gets a bad rap for the weather but it's always had a unique music scene ranging from Prince to Husker Du. And of course for all of us skyscraper fans it does have an impressive skyline. I could probably live without the Mall of America but it's interesting to note that the surrounding area of the Dakotas and the upper plains states have little to offer young people looking for a career and many of them find the Twin Cities an attractive place to migrate to. Personally, I think the climate would be difficult for me but it's still an impressive city.

MtnClimber
Jan 1, 2007, 1:14 AM
young people looking for a career and many of them find the Twin Cities an attractive place to migrate to. Personally, I think the climate would be difficult for me but it's still an impressive city.

I have to say Minneapolis has some cool clubs. When I was there for a few years I used to love going to all those slutty clubs. Barfly was my favorite :haha:

vid
Jan 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
"Is the Lumber Exchange Building the place where people go to swap trees?"

You're thinking of the Timber Exchange. (Corner of Third and Portland :)) They Lumber Exchange is where they go to swap trees that have been made into pieces of wood. :)

totheskies
Jan 1, 2007, 4:36 PM
Great cities, but SOOOOO CCCCCCOOOOLLLLLDDDD! I really love the skylines though.

larryfla
Jan 1, 2007, 11:37 PM
I think that people have different perspectives of the word liberal. I live in a coastal city in Florida. Our mayor is a very liberal person. She is an extreme tree hugger. She would rather see no growth downtown, increase the size of the homeless shelter (downtown), and restrict any condo or building size in the city to a maximum of 4 stories even after it has been shown that the infrastructure can handle growth. She also has that long, stringy hair with the split ends that doesn't suit her at her age (I am not gay either).

LyndaleHoosier
Jan 2, 2007, 1:19 AM
Cold is a relative term....try being here this winter...it's been so damn mild...was about 40 again today. I think the great spring/summer/fall and many other amenities mentioned makes up for Jan-mid-March coldness.

vid
Jan 2, 2007, 1:48 PM
If not wanting anything taller than 4 floors is liberal, my city has to be communist. We made that theory into law recently!

Nothing can be taller than 10m.