PDA

View Full Version : The 360- 20 stories - Lake Hefner

shane453
Dec 7, 2006, 12:11 AM
We've known for a while that the iconic 20-story Founders Tower in NW OKC would be converted to condos, but more info came out yesterday about the future of the 7 acres purchased by the Bridgeport Development Group last year.

http://static.newsok.biz/article/2981813/biz-founders_12-06-2006_GH1OU04.jpg

If you've ever driven through Oklahoma City on the NW Expressway or Lake Hefner Parkway, you couldn't have missed the circular, unique Founders Tower. Next time you drive by, the tower will look much different. You can see at the bottom they have begun replacing the windows on the building with lighter, blue tinted glass that is supposed to be energy efficient. The 68 condominium units in the tower will range from 1,200 to 2,100 sf and $200k-600k in price. According to the article in the Oklahoman, most units will have three outdoor balconies with views of the downtown skyline, NW OKC skyline, and Lake Hefner.

Famed OKC restaurants Nikz at the Top, which rotates atop the newly renamed 360, and Queen Ann's Cafeteria in the first level, will likely remain as tenants of the building. The first level will offer other retail tenants- a banking center, jeweler, and cleaners, plus a concierge and room service for the condos.

The biggest news we got yesterday was what the developer plans to do with the rest of the expensive property. A two-story parking garage and two-story office tower will be built (the office tower should be MUCH larger- demand for quality office space in the NW submarket is crazy), and they are looking for a hotel to fill about a 5-story tower. They already have three hotel chains interested in the site- Hyatt, W, and Hotel Indigo have all expressed interest.

Another 11-story condo project is pending for the Lake Hefner/East Wharf area.

KevinFromTexas
Dec 7, 2006, 5:37 AM
That is such a cool building in my opinion.

bombermwc
Dec 7, 2006, 5:25 PM
I've always hated it because of the color. The new windows will help a lot in bringing it up to date more...instead of that butt nasty 60's look. Now if only they could flatten out the top so it didn't look like a wave.

Major AWACS
Dec 7, 2006, 5:54 PM
Nikz- always an ineresting place. I actually watched a wall cloud spew a tornado, while I was at a dinner party there. I'm glad it is staying put.

That will make three "highrise" living options in that part of town and only one (and a half) downtown. Hopefully more will hit downtown, because the Classen started out as a sputter though some friends at ReMax tell me they are finally making some sales (with prices going lower). I'd like to see more options dt.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Should it burn when I pee

shane453
Dec 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
I don't really know what your "one and a half" means (maybe the Centennial condos?), but there are actually two complete residential highrises downtown... Regency, of course, and the converted 17 stories of Park Harvey. Then there's the Classen by itself between the two areas. And on the NW side there's 4- Tiffany Apartments, Lakeview Apartments, 360, and then this proposed "Lighthouse" development that is 11 stories. I definitely think it's weird that the suburban office district has twice as many residential highrises than downtown... There are also several other residential midrise buildings along the NW Expy, so before the present boom in downtown housing it was probably home to more midrise units, too.

Major AWACS
Dec 8, 2006, 7:45 AM
The classen isn't downtown, I know that, my point was it is not selling so hot, but now that the prices are dropping they are finally filling the place up. I know a few of the folks trying to sell the places. It was not an easy sell at first.

The Lighthouse will make 4 yes, I was talking about current ability to lease. Is the Lighthouse actually leasing?

Is the park harvey completly finished, redone and open for business again? I thought it was only half way complete and and leasing for future dates?
IF so, THen that does make two for DT!

trivia-I actually looked at living in Lakeview way back in Dec 2000, Jan 2001 and they were offering a two bedroom all bills paid for $600 a month! They didn't have a freight elevator so I went somewhere else. But a good deal at the time.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Forum Alpha Breeder Male per Fflint

shane453
Dec 8, 2006, 2:03 PM
I wonder if they have been able to raise their prices recently with all the new housing.

The Classen decided to go rental, ultimately. I just don't think the units were worth what they were selling them for, and they tried to sell it as "urban..." when really it was on 23rd street... A semi-urban place, but not urban. I don't think the 360 developers will do anything like that, and they're marketing another product... Nice condos, awesome building, overlooking the lake, close to tons of offices, nice area, up to 3 balconies per unit... I don't think they should have trouble, but they might still have to come down on some of their higher prices.

I believe Park Harvey is open and tenants have moved in. The move-ins were scheduled for Fall.

MichaelB
Dec 9, 2006, 10:45 AM
What a cool building. I certainly hope the renovation is sensitive to the attributes of the period. THis is an easy period for folks not in the know to dis. Most people don't have enough distance from the period to be able to appreciate it.

Any info on the year built? Late 60's? 68?

shane453
Dec 9, 2006, 11:33 PM
I've always really liked the building... It stands out. As a kid I thought it was cool... You don't really see anything like it. It was originally built for offices, but it just works as a condo building. It looks really residential with the balconies and the windows.

84m/275 ft/20st
built in 1964

I don't really know how sensitive the developers will be... They're replacing all the windows (the black and white style is a sort of theme of the Mosteller Drive area surrounding the tower). They've already demolished the Continental Theater, which was built at around the same time as Founders Tower.

KevinFromTexas
Dec 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
I like that funky 60s architecture. Some of the architecture from the 60s and 70s was horrible, big, bulky, boxy. This isn't, this is unique. Buildings like this, and the Plaza Tower Building in New Orleans, and the Landmark Tower, (demolished), in Las Vegas. There are others also, but this one has always stood out for me and there really aren't too many of them around.