PDA

View Full Version : old Macy's at North Star to be JCPenney

coddat
Dec 1, 2006, 8:08 AM
JCPenney and Northstar have announced that JCP will be coming to North Star replacing what was the Macy*s/ old marshall fields building. Frankly I think it's a huge mistake...north star should have/ could have waited until a much more upscale retailer comes along. Northstar has lost a lot of cache in recent years. Soon it won't be anything more than a Ingram park with a saks fifth avenue. I defiantly could have seen a Nordstrom going into that space, rather than a ugh..JCP. Sigh...

Complex01
Dec 1, 2006, 7:07 PM
JCPenney and Northstar have announced that JCP will be coming to North Star replacing what was the Macy*s/ old marshall fields building. Frankly I think it's a huge mistake...north star should have/ could have waited until a much more upscale retailer comes along. Northstar has lost a lot of cache in recent years. Soon it won't be anything more than a Ingram park with a saks fifth avenue. I defiantly could have seen a Nordstrom going into that space, rather than a ugh..JCP. Sigh...

I dont know about that. 2 Nordstroms in San Antonio, I dont think so. Frankly North Star does have a handful of store that La Cantera does not and vice versa. There are very few cities that have 2 Nordstroms, and some dont even have any. There are very few "High End" retailers left anymore, Marshall Fields, Lord & Taylor, have all gone. What really else is left... Sears, Montgomergy Wards, oh wait M Wards has gone tooo...

:ahhh:

Corinth940
Dec 1, 2006, 8:16 PM
I agree that many of the high-end retailers have disappeared although while Lord & Taylor isn't in SA anymore, they're still alive and kicking in the Northeast part of the US. And I don't see San Antonio supporting two Nordstrom's...the DFW area supports four locations and I'm not sure about Houston but one in SA and Austin should suffice for a while.

I do think that NorthStar could have filled that retail space with either smaller high end stores or even a few more upscale restaurants. Sure, JC Penney has added the Sephora line which is a coup in itself, but it's still JC Penney and not considered high end by any stretch of the imagination.

coddat
Dec 1, 2006, 9:42 PM
I think that Dallas shows that Texas has a market for multiple nordy's in a city. Dallas by it's self has two...one at northpark and one at the galleria. Their is also one in Frisco and one in Hurst as well. A nordstrom can be tailored to it's location. The Northstar store could have carried line that older customers prefer, based on how close it is to Terrell Hills and Olmos Park. or it could have been broken up in to smaller store space, or even torn down and a lifestyle element added. Northstar used to be advertised as San Antonio's most brilliant collection, now it can be advertised... most average collection.

TXlifeguard
Dec 4, 2006, 10:02 AM
Lord & Taylor is one of the Ferderated stored owned by Macy's. It is on its way to being rebranded to Macy's & will be eliminated.... just as Foley's was.

JCP isnt upscale and will hurt the mall's image among some shoppers. I am sure they wanted to have something more upscale in the space, but General Growth could only hold out for so long.... they needed the space to be revenue producing. JCP was standing there with a check in hand....

But this isnt the end of NSM's as an upscale destination. That slide began a dozen years ago when they let Mervyn's come in. Seriously, Mervyn's? Honestly.

coddat
Dec 4, 2006, 6:55 PM
^ Actually lord and taylor was divested by Federated and is now in some private equity groups hands. More than likely it will be sold off store by store. When Mervyn's came in that was a rouse co. decision and it was in the middle of a recession and the Texas real estate meltdown. I can't blame them for that, because NSM has Marshall Field's and Saks at the time as well.

potts
Dec 4, 2006, 7:37 PM
This is definitely a dissapointment. Although a friend of mine who works at North Star let me in on this some time ago. Unfortunately, I really don't think San Antonio could support another Nordstrom. Even though the metroplex has 4 of the stores, you have to remember there are 5 million people there as opposed to SA's less than 2 mill. Also, San Antonio's median income is much lower than in the metroplex. But as mentioned above, JCP is not nearly as bad as Mervyn's which is an embarrassment to North Star.

Complex01
Dec 4, 2006, 9:52 PM
You know i dont even remember how long that Mervyns has been there. I think its funny how its right accross from Saks. But yeah, it happens. I was at the NS over thanxsgiving, granted they made some improvements i miss the water fountains that were there. Oh well...

:uhh:

Corinth940
Dec 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, I really don't think San Antonio could support another Nordstrom. Even though the metroplex has 4 of the stores, you have to remember there are 5 million people there as opposed to SA's less than 2 mill. Also, San Antonio's median income is much lower than in the metroplex.

I wonder why the Houston metro, which has a population only slightly smaller than DFW, only has the one Nordstrom location as well. I think they could definitely support 3 or 4 full service stores too.

Complex01
Dec 5, 2006, 5:14 AM
Yes esp at the Woodlands Mall. That area could really support it...

Schertz1
Dec 5, 2006, 5:58 AM
Nordstrom is no better than any other middle/upper middle class department store. I have been to their store in San Antonio, Houston, and DT Chicago and, while they are nice, it is not so nice San Antonio couldn't support more than one location. I really think it is a mistake to allow Penny's in there for a number of reasons. The main one being, NS was once a destination Mall, and Penny's is defiantly not a destination store. I believe the same company owns or manages both LA Cantera and NS and they have made it pretty clear what direction they plan to take NS. I bet Sak's moves to La Cantera next.

21bl0wed
Dec 5, 2006, 6:32 AM
Nordstrom just doesn't make a lot of locations. Manhattan has 2. Who cares though? We are talking like a bunch of girls about department stores :haha: I want scores to come to san antonio thats all.

potts
Dec 5, 2006, 7:20 AM
True that Nordstrom doesnt usually have many locations within a certain city. Interesting that DFW has four stores though. Perhaps the chain is headquartered there? Anyhow, the arrival of JCP at North Star does seem to be just another step toward the downgrading of the once posh shopping center. Seems as if La Cantera has taken that title now. I wonder if Riverenter will become more luxurious than NS once the rennovation is complete. Hmm...

coddat
Dec 5, 2006, 7:54 AM
Nordstrom is from Seattle, and first came to Texas in 1996 with a galleria dallas location. I think the reason that houston only has one location is that for Houston the Galleria is the only real upscale mall, Dallas however has multiple Neiman Marcus stores and Saks. Dallas has so many dominate malls, Northpark, Dallas Galleria, even valley view to some extant. Add Stonebriar in Frisco and collin creek in plano and you have lots of shopping destinations. ( I didn't include willow bend because of the huge vacancy rate and that it has never had dominance in the metroplex)

Complex01
Dec 5, 2006, 4:38 PM
Nordstrom is from Seattle, and first came to Texas in 1996 with a galleria dallas location. I think the reason that houston only has one location is that for Houston the Galleria is the only real upscale mall, Dallas however has multiple Neiman Marcus stores and Saks. Dallas has so many dominate malls, Northpark, Dallas Galleria, even valley view to some extant. Add Stonebriar in Frisco and collin creek in plano and you have lots of shopping destinations. ( I didn't include willow bend because of the huge vacancy rate and that it has never had dominance in the metroplex)

The Galleria is the only upscale Mall in Houston, thats why it has a Nordstroms. I have to disagree, if that was the case, Barton Creek shouldnt have one either, cause its just another mall, the only thing is that its fairly new. You know i dont think they are going to put them everywere like a Macys, its about setting a brand image.

You know they should just tear down the old Macys building at NS and just make a huge freaken Starbucks, ( Didnt you hear they are going to start selling clothes and furniture now)...

TTU Arch
Dec 6, 2006, 9:00 PM
Lord & Taylor is one of the Ferderated stored owned by Macy's. It is on its way to being rebranded to Macy's & will be eliminated.... just as Foley's was.

JCP isnt upscale and will hurt the mall's image among some shoppers. I am sure they wanted to have something more upscale in the space, but General Growth could only hold out for so long.... they needed the space to be revenue producing. JCP was standing there with a check in hand....

But this isnt the end of NSM's as an upscale destination. That slide began a dozen years ago when they let Mervyn's come in. Seriously, Mervyn's? Honestly.

Don't stress about this so much. Grew up as a JCPenny kid, meaning family works at corporate. Now I'm not a big JCP shopper, but JCPenny does considerably well when paired with high end retailers in same malls. Better then in malls sporting Marshall's, Sears or whatever. Reason, because all those high ends compete with one another all the while Penny's provides that niche being missed in the mall. According to family source, when Penny's is paired with Nordstrom's the two usually do better figures then the other department stores, and the same holds true when paired with Neiman Marcus. Penny's use to go after malls that had high end stores because they filled that niche missing from the malls. You can see this all up and down the east coast and mid america. A Dallas example... Penny's was at North Park. When Penny's was hurting they sold that store and it was one of their biggest mistakes. That store was their most profitable in the metro, and in one the most profitable in the region. But management had an offer Penny's could not refuse to buy out their lease at the time the company was sliding faster downhill. At one time in the 80's Penny's tried to go high end, but in the 90's they threw out that one and restructured and has gone back to the Penny's as it was first founded. I know it will be hard for many on this forum to digest, but it does not bring down the appeal of the mall by any means. I am sure you will see many more moves like this as more and more real estate opens at malls due to consolidation, and Penny's is now (after their turnaround) one of the most profitable department stores out there right now and sought after by many retail developers currently. I think you will see less and less malls like Willow Bend and North Park being nothing but the best-of-the-best ultra luxury shopping.

Major AWACS
Dec 7, 2006, 4:35 PM
Nordstrom is from Seattle, and first came to Texas in 1996 with a galleria dallas location. I think the reason that houston only has one location is that for Houston the Galleria is the only real upscale mall,

The Woodlands mall is plenty upscale and rumours are some more stores are coming to a nearby expansion with the boat canal access and parking garage.

I agree with 21B though, some of you sound like tweens arguing about shoes or something. Yes shopping is nice but a generic mall store is the last thing anything in Texas needs. Thank god some actual downtown retail is taking off lately.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, NATO-Not after twelve o'clock

Double L
Dec 8, 2006, 9:37 AM
Ah...wouldn't want another Nordstrom here...would bring in a bunch of snobs(don't want that).