PDA

View Full Version : Austin – Spring

mars-man
Nov 30, 2006, 11:53 PM
Hi, I’ve enjoyed following many of the Austin discussions in the past several months. I thought I’d pop out of lurk mode to start a new thread on the Spring condos, since discussion of it has tended to be dispersed across various other threads.

I don’t know if you guys have checked out Spring’s site (http://www.springaustin.com/spring.html) lately, but it’s recently been relaunched with some new renderings and a few more details on interior finishes, amenities, etc. There is absolutely no mention of unit prices, though, which is worrying for those of us who initially got excited about this project because of its seeming potential for more affordable units.

Also, they’re having a party on the evening of 12/6 to mark the opening of their marketing center. I can’t recall the exact address -- invitation’s at home -- but it’s a few blocks NE of where Spring will be going up. I’m curious to hear what they’ll be saying Wednesday, if anything, regarding pricing. Anyone have any inside info?

427MM
Dec 2, 2006, 4:31 AM
Mars-man, it’s good to have you here. I’m sure you will see that it is more fun being an active member verse simply reading other peoples comments. Spring is a very interesting project. While I’m sure it will happen, I’m not quite how I feel about its location. It is a beautiful building and the team of developers behind it is remarkable, my only fear is that there will be some future developers which will try to build across Lamar. It will be very interesting to watch how this area changes over the next couple of years.

mars-man
Dec 3, 2006, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome, 427MM. Your monthly Frostie pics are great.

Spring's location is one of the things I like best about it. It'll be really convenient to the hike-and-bike, more so with the Pfluger bridge extenstion. That whole southwest end of DT is coming along nicely and has lots of potential for more densification. I know what you mean about crossing Lamar, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. More likely, it seems, will be additional midrise development lining Lamar from 6th to MLK, like what's beginning to happen on Guadalupe north of campus. You're right, it will be interesting to watch ... hopefully from my living room, 20 or 30 stories up! :-)

mars-man
Dec 7, 2006, 11:17 PM
Anyone else drop by Spring’s marketing center kickoff last night? It was pretty cool, though it had a completely different vibe than the fun 360 party a few months ago. This set seemed older and more well-off, maybe because it was mostly reservation holders, whereas the 360 wing-ding was more of an open house for anyone interested, as I recall.

Anyway, they have scale models, floorplans, and large photo blow-ups of all four corner perspectives from what I believe is the 20th-floor height. This is a nice touch, since each of the two-bedroom units will occupy a corner. There is a model kitchen and bathroom and some other samples of floor and carpet choices, etc. More about those in a minute.

I shook the hand of Foad Rafii, the architect, and gushed that I loved his work in Vancouver. He was very gracious and actually reminded me instantly of one of my favorite film characters, Peter Sellers as the hapless Hrundi V. Bakshi in “The Party” -- for whatever that’s worth! I also chatted up a few other prospective buyers, and we agreed that everything looked great, but that the elephant in the room was the pricing of the various units, of which no one had any details. Guess we’ll just see what the market will bear when they actually start trying to get contracts signed. I’m glad I’m pretty far down on the reservation list, as it seems that some sticker shock and balking by earlier folks can only help lower the offering prices for people down the line.

Okay, about those floors… One thing I heard commented on by several folks was the relative lack of flooring choices. It’s basically a choice between wood plank or Berber carpet in the main areas (marble tile is standard in the bathrooms, not sure about the kitchens). I personally would prefer stained/coated concrete for the main area, not unlike what is used in the marketing center itself. A woman in Dick Clark’s crew told me she agreed that it should at least be an option, but that the owners (Robert Barnstone, et al.) had decided it would be too much trouble to keep the concrete flooring pristine as the tower rises. Hello? Cracks and imperfections are what add character to stained concrete! I brought this up with Barnstone himself, and he mumbled something about how he personally doesn’t care for the look of joining concrete floors to wood, tile, etc. Lame.

Overall, though, the marketing center is nifty, and I’m glad to see this exciting project moving forward, whether or not I end up buying. I’d be curious to hear other peoples’ takes.

MichaelB
Dec 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
thanks for that perpective on the opening. I am interested in purchasing in the building.... and very disappointed to hear that concrete is not an option. Silly barnestone..... he does not really get the idea of a contemorary space. Perhpas interested buyers will convince him. He is a $ man not a creative. Look at he Nokonah.... just suburban homes.... stacked.

427MM
Dec 9, 2006, 11:00 PM
thanks for that perpective on the opening. I am interested in purchasing in the building.... and very disappointed to hear that concrete is not an option. Silly barnestone..... he does not really get the idea of a contemorary space. Perhpas interested buyers will convince him. He is a $ man not a creative. Look at he Nokonah.... just suburban homes.... stacked.

Wow, I couldn’t disagree with you more about Robert Barnstone. He spoke to my Intro to Urban Studies class at UT a couple of years ago and shared his vision of urban life with us. He was by far the best speaker we had that semester and left a lasting impression with many people including me. Another reason they might be shying away from concrete floors is the same reason we won’t offer them in 360. Noise! Living under another family when they have a concrete floor is not enjoyable. I’ve experienced this first hand and don’t care to repeat it. Michael, you should have gone on the tour with us today, we were talking about this very issue.

MichaelB
Dec 10, 2006, 5:13 AM
Wow, I couldn’t disagree with you more about Robert Barnstone. He spoke to my Intro to Urban Studies class at UT a couple of years ago and shared his vision of urban life with us. He was by far the best speaker we had that semester and left a lasting impression with many people including me. Another reason they might be shying away from concrete floors is the same reason we won’t offer them in 360. Noise! Living under another family when they have a concrete floor is not enjoyable. I’ve experienced this first hand and don’t care to repeat it. Michael, you should have gone on the tour with us today, we were talking about this very issue.

I truly don't want to be argumentative about B'stone..... I will admit my (as I read it now.....) comment was quippy.... My info is second hand, but from archictects who have worked with him. ( no names to be mentioned) There seemed to be quite a differece between the talk and the walk. I'll leave it there....

Concrete floors can indeed yield more noise.... mostly with wooden heels!!!!!! But they are worth it for me personally. I wish they (at Spring) would leave it as an option. I have two other friends who are serious about the building....both are disappointed in the flooring choices and I have encouraged both to request other options!

I'm glad the tour was fun..... I could not make it today.... made the first one..... hopefully the next!

mars-man
Dec 11, 2006, 6:34 PM
Thanks, guys, for chiming in. That's an interesting perspective about the noisiness of concrete floors, and one I hadn't considered. It's weird, though, that the Dick Clark associate cited scuffing from construction materials as a reason not to do them, and Barnstone said it was a personal aesthetic preference of his, while neither mentioned the noise issue. This won't be much of a deciding factor on whether I ultimately buy at Spring (or 360); it's just something I found surprising.

Greg, I want to echo your sentiment about Barnstone and say that I appreciate what he's doing for our urban core. I couldn't agree more with his vision of making Austin a bit more like Vancouver, a very liveable city that I think is terrific in so many ways.

MichaelB
Dec 11, 2006, 7:04 PM
One of the challenges with concerete floors in construction is that you have to be carefull about materials that may get on them. If you are not concerned about maintaining them..... then you can let any constuction materials fall on them...... or paint get on them.... and you don't have to worry about it. I think it may be a percieved costing issue. I think personal aesthetics of the developer can shade the view. I still wish they had the forsight to see it as an option. I learned this the hard way..... bought a place that I knew was concrete underneath..... tore up the new "berber" carpert (in a hurry!) to find so much "gunk" left from construction that the floors were unuseable. Hope others don't get into the same situation.

MichaelB
Dec 15, 2006, 9:43 PM
intersting experience at the Spring sales center today. First of all went there at 11 am and no one was there..... called one of the #'s on the door and all the person who answered could tell us was "someone should be there"..... oooops not a good way to start the customer service ball rolling.

The person who works the space did call later so we went by....

First obsevation was that the whole vibe of the sales center was based on CONCRETE FLOORS!!!!!! I was with someone else on "the list" for Spring.... the first thing we commented on was the beautiful floors and asked if they would be availble in the units. The "no" was accompanied by a surprised look and the statement that "no one else has asked". Really? Anyway.... I pointed out that the whole vibe of the room was based on the cool floors. I was assured this would be passed along. Anyone else doubting that?

The prices are due out in Jan. But the woman told me she thought the lower floor 1 bedroom would be about 220K-ish..... which put the large 2 bedroom in the mid 400's........ AND every finish in the prview center is an upgrade.... including the hardwood floors.....and that is without the price bumps for higher floors..... so it will be intersting to see what a fully loaded 2 bedroom model will price for!

I Liked the kitchen/bath feel.... it is smartly done within a contemporary style with a wide appeal. You'll know exactly what it is when you see it... (and you can see parts of it at IKEA! Ouch.... sorry.) I do think it is nice... especially with the upgrades, but I would love to see something a little less in the new "modern generic" style.... but I'm not the mass market....and I get it.... so we'll see!

By the way... I did ask if there could be any alterations to the plans ( my friend I was with wants to covert the small 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom that can accomdate a pool table.... that would require deleting one wall) the answer was an absolute no! I understand the pandora's box that might open for a devolper..... but one little wall? Post construction that will cost a helll of a lot more to achieve. Would be great to include a "fee" for minor changes. eh..... wouldn't stop me from moving in. Love the C units on the southeast corners.

Breaks ground Feb...... 41 stories..... 8'11ish ceilings.... pool area looks cool.... great view..... great views in general..... sales center is set up well to understand the views...nice model.....stop by @ 7th and Rio Grande... open 10-5 , but I would call first! LOL!!!!!!!

mars-man
Dec 15, 2006, 10:20 PM
Nice dispatch on the marketing center. As a reservation holder, I can say that the unprofessional customer service you encountered has sadly been a hallmark of this project from the get-go. Phones go unanswered. Letters are sent promising dates that then pass by unremarked -- dates for everything from renderings to selection of units to groundbreaking. I understand that dates are somewhat fluid on a project of this magnitude, and surely the builders understand that as well. So why put such specific dates in their communications with reservation holders, if the commitment is not there to follow through? I suppose there is little incentive to do better with 600+ reservation holders line up.

Glad you pushed the concrete floor issue. Maybe if enough of us bring it up they'll get a clue.

MichaelB
Dec 15, 2006, 10:42 PM
Nice dispatch on the marketing center. As a reservation holder, I can say that the unprofessional customer service you encountered has sadly been a hallmark of this project from the get-go. Phones go unanswered. Letters are sent promising dates that then pass by unremarked -- dates for everything from renderings to selection of units to groundbreaking. I understand that dates are somewhat fluid on a project of this magnitude, and surely the builders understand that as well. So why put such specific dates in their communications with reservation holders, if the commitment is not there to follow through? I suppose there is little incentive to do better with 600+ reservation holders line up.

Glad you pushed the concrete floor issue. Maybe if enough of us bring it up they'll get a clue.

yeah,,,,, I know what you are saying. The project has not generated confidence in my buying.

And.... yes, I think more folks should ask about the floors. The base floor is really generic.... light color "berber" (sp?) carpet. This generation's version of beige shag!