PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO | BCBS | Vertical Expansion (25 new floors) | 743 FT / 226 M | 57 FL

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Chicago Shawn
Oct 21, 2006, 7:15 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of this?
I'd like to imagine what a giant U S A would look like for the 2016 olympics.

From the BP Bridge:
http://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2005/10/408678.jpg

ardecila
Oct 22, 2006, 3:21 AM
You can't remote-load Emporis images.

Direct Link: http://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2005/10/408678.jpg

Via Chicago
Oct 22, 2006, 6:32 AM
nm

Tom In Chicago
Oct 24, 2006, 2:37 PM
They're beginning site prep (or whatever you want to call it) now. . . the plaza is closed and they're removing all the lamps and benches. . .

MillenniaThree
Oct 25, 2006, 7:11 PM
Does anyone know if BCBS considered leasing some of the vacant space in the next door Aon Building. I understant that approx. 10 to 20% of the 2.5 million sq. ft. in the 80-story Aon Bldg. are vacant, plus another 10 to 20% will be vacated by the law firm Kirkland & Ellis when it moves to the 300 N. LaSalle Street Building upon its completion in 2009. Aon has so much vacancy that I recently read a Crain's Chicago Bus. article that said they are considering converting a part of this office building to residential condominiums. Wouldn't it might be cheaper for BCBS to lease space in the Aon Building rather than add to its existing building? Though I do like the impact that the BCBS addition will have on the Chicago skyline.

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know if BCBS considered leasing some of the vacant space in the next door Aon Building. I understant that approx. 10 to 20% of the 2.5 million sq. ft. in the 80-story Aon Bldg. are vacant, plus another 10 to 20% will be vacated by the law firm Kirkland & Ellis when it moves to the 300 N. LaSalle Street Building upon its completion in 2009. Aon has so much vacancy that I recently read a Crain's Chicago Bus. article that said they are considering converting a part of this office building to residential condominiums. Wouldn't it might be cheaper for BCBS to lease space in the Aon Building rather than add to its existing building? Though I do like the impact that the BCBS addition will have on the Chicago skyline.

I'm sure they looked at that option as well as every other Class A building in the Illinois Center area...

Chi_Coruscant
Oct 25, 2006, 11:58 PM
BCBSIL did consider AON center solely due to next-door proximity but settles for 111 E Wacker building on 5-year lease. The landlord who owns AON center insists on longer stay. When that lease expired in 2011, some BCBSIL departments are ready to come home but live on brand new addition.

Tom In Chicago
Oct 26, 2006, 3:18 PM
Scaffolding is being delivered to the site at BCBS. . .

bnk
Nov 5, 2006, 2:46 AM
I fear for 340 on the park west side residences.

urban_encounter
Nov 5, 2006, 3:46 AM
This is going to be amazing watching them add another 25 floors to an existing building.

:cheers:

Mojava
Nov 5, 2006, 3:51 AM
This should be interesting to watch.

How much does this effect the park views from Aqua?

Nowhereman1280
Nov 5, 2006, 8:07 AM
^^^ I wouldn't think it would affect units that have a real view of the park much at all. I mean this is directly west of 340, there isn't much of a park view from a unit facing straight west anyhow seeing as the park is south! However it will suck for those with westward views anyhow because their entire view of the skyline is getting the shaft!

headcase
Nov 5, 2006, 1:27 PM
^^^ I wouldn't think it would affect units that have a real view of the park much at all. I mean this is directly west of 340, there isn't much of a park view from a unit facing straight west anyhow seeing as the park is south! However it will suck for those with westward views anyhow because their entire view of the skyline is getting the shaft!

Thats nice and all, but this is what was said...

How much does this effect the park views from Aqua?

The BCBS expansion is going to obliterate almost all the views from Aqua to Millennium park, of course any view of LSE park will be fine.

SSDD

honte
Nov 5, 2006, 3:30 PM
^ I'm sure the buyers are hoping that Gang's curvy balconies will deliver in their promise to give views they might not have had otherwise. But it's been pointed out that another building was supposed to go to the south of Aqua anyway.

DePaul Bunyan
Nov 5, 2006, 4:15 PM
^ I'm sure the buyers are hoping that Gang's curvy balconies will deliver in their promise to give views they might not have had otherwise. But it's been pointed out that another building was supposed to go to the south of Aqua anyway.

That one's supposed to be taller too, right?

brandon12
Nov 5, 2006, 10:05 PM
^this whole idea of "vertical expansion" is amazing to me. Are there other examples of this happening (to the extent of 25 floors) elsewhere?

Steely Dan
Nov 5, 2006, 10:14 PM
^ i don't know about vertical expansions elsewhere in the world, but many buildings thoughout the history of chicago have had floors added on to them. the biggest previous example of this that i can think of is the Roanoke Building (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=116822) which was originally built as as a 16 story office block in 1915, then in 1922 5 more floors were added, bringing it to 21 floors, and then in 1927, a 16 story tower section was added on top of the block bringing the total height of the building to 37 floors/452' tall.

jcchii
Nov 5, 2006, 11:42 PM
I still think it's going to minimize the impact of 340, but maybe I'll grow to like it

Nowhereman1280
Nov 5, 2006, 11:58 PM
^^^ Maybe it will minimize 340, but either way one thing is for certain, it will definately offer an interesting contrast to 340's ultra skinnyness from the Lakeshore east park view!

DTO Luv
Nov 6, 2006, 4:03 AM
Too bad I turned down a job to work there or I could have seen the expansion in person. I'm sure they'll have other openings in the future.

biophilic
Nov 6, 2006, 1:45 PM
^this whole idea of "vertical expansion" is amazing to me. Are there other examples of this happening (to the extent of 25 floors) elsewhere?

check out bentall 5 in Vancouver, B.C. It's a little different, but similar concept.

Alliance
Nov 6, 2006, 8:46 PM
Thats nice and all, but this is what was said...

The BCBS expansion is going to obliterate almost all the views from Aqua to Millennium park, of course any view of LSE park will be fine.

SSDD

I disagree, the point of the balconies was to take residents off the grid. I think the majority of residents will still have their views.

brandon12
Nov 7, 2006, 5:18 AM
check out bentall 5 in Vancouver, B.C. It's a little different, but similar concept.
thanks. fascinating.

honte
Dec 15, 2006, 7:46 PM
Here is an image that I haven't seen posted here....

It comes from GP's web site, so it's official. But it's a bit surprising that they simply copied the base image to the top, considering the floor counts are different between the two phases.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3398/bcbsweb5ew2.jpg

Alliance
Dec 15, 2006, 9:15 PM
This is going to be very cool. :cool:

Nowhereman1280
Dec 15, 2006, 9:26 PM
Here is an image that I haven't seen posted here....

It comes from GP's web site, so it's official. But it's a bit surprising that they simply copied the base image to the top, considering the floors counts are different between the two phases.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3398/bcbsweb5ew2.jpg

If you look at the overhead floorplate diagram thingy, it appears that for at least the top part of the building at least one of the atriums will be preseved. it shows the five sections of the atriums (four if you remember that the middle section is like an extension of the floor, but open to the atrium on both sides) on there, but only one appears to be filled with an elevator bank, so hopefully that means that one half of the atrium will continue to exist.

I was wondering how they were going to completely fill those atriums with elevators when people were saying that they were both there for future elevator banks. I mean that diagram appears to show 8 elevators taking up just one segment of the atrium, that should be plenty for the 25 floors they will be servicing, they would need like 32 elevators to fill up both of the atriums!

biophilic
Dec 15, 2006, 9:35 PM
it appears that for at least the top part of the building at least one of the atriums will be preseved.

All of the atriums (not counting the central atrium/stair mezzanine) will be filled in with elevators at the base. The two banks of existing elevators won't be extended, so once you get above the top of the existing building and into the "new" floors, there will be two open atriums. One of the other banks of atrium elevators also drops off midway up the expansion, so if you're on the top floors you'll have three open atriums.

Of course none of them extend all the way to the ground floor, so you lose some visual impact.

Nowhereman1280
Dec 15, 2006, 9:41 PM
All of the atriums (not counting the central atrium/stair mezzanine) will be filled in with elevators at the base. The two banks of existing elevators won't be extended, so once you get above the top of the existing building and into the "new" floors, there will be two open atriums. One of the other banks of atrium elevators also drops off midway up the expansion, so if you're on the top floors you'll have three open atriums.

Of course none of them extend all the way to the ground floor, so you lose some visual impact.

Thats lame. I was afraid thats what they were doing, they definately should have on Atrium that goes all the way down. I know! They should get rid of the stairs! Hey stairs are only optional right? Who needs 'em... They should have parachutes in case of a fire, and train all of their employees to BASE jump...

Alliance
Dec 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
I agree. One of the great features of BCBS was the giant atrium. Its a shame to lose that.

biophilic
Jan 18, 2007, 12:25 AM
Walsh has built some enclosures around the open atriums at the lobby level and is in the process of constructing two large work platforms that will travel vertically up and down the two atriums installing steel for the new elevator banks.

When steel starts to be installed for the new elevator banks will that count as officially being under construction? Or is this thing only official when the first new columns get installed at roof level?

I guess what i'm asking is, does this make the current activity pre-construction, or pre-pre-construction?

Tom In Chicago
Jan 18, 2007, 4:34 AM
You're really splitting hairs. . . but you do raise a good question. . . I'll have to think about that. . . :)

ardecila
Jan 19, 2007, 12:53 AM
Don't obsess over it. Just wait until the lifts are installed, THEN call it pre-construction. It's only a matter of days until the lifts are up.

Lecom
Jan 19, 2007, 1:48 AM
Hehe I've read about the fun of working at 1 World Trade Center when it opened before top-out in 1971.
Got more on this?

Aleks
Mar 3, 2007, 9:32 PM
thats cool i didnt know there could be buildings that be made taller in case of more space more cities should do this

BorisMolotov
Mar 4, 2007, 1:02 AM
Has anything new happened on this one recently, or are they still site prepping?

Tom In Chicago
Mar 4, 2007, 5:33 PM
There isn't much going on outside the building as I mentioned earlier, but according to my source at BCBS and some others on this forum, the work inside the building is moving along. . . the spotlights that on the exterior apparently are for construction crews who work after office hours when the building is empty of pesky office workers. . .

BorisMolotov
Mar 4, 2007, 5:43 PM
So what exactly do they have to do inside? I'm very interested to know how they will go about this.

biophilic
Mar 5, 2007, 3:38 AM
So what exactly do they have to do inside? I'm very interested to know how they will go about this.

The first step is to remove a bunch of interior beam covers and install support steel for the 2 new elevator banks. This will occur from the base up to the top of the existing building. After that there's some demo and minor structural work up at the top of the building. Then the real deal starts.

jjk1103
Mar 10, 2007, 2:56 AM
...since there is no foundations to drill .....how do you measure when this one is u/c rather than site prep ?

headcase
Mar 10, 2007, 3:36 AM
...since there is no foundations to drill .....how do you measure when this one is u/c rather than site prep ?

I was actually thinking the same thing, after all of the starts today, and then I saw this bumped, I wondered how they are going to make that call.

SSDD

BVictor1
Mar 10, 2007, 7:59 AM
I been wondering this for a while now, but when are we going to "OFFICIALLY" list this building as being under construction? Tehnically what they are doing now could be considered construction. BUt I'm sure that others on this forum could also consider the building as being in site prep.

What to do, what to do??????!!!!!!

kalmia
Mar 10, 2007, 8:36 AM
I been wondering this for a while now, but when are we going to "OFFICIALLY" list this building as being under construction? Tehnically what they are doing now could be considered construction. BUt I'm sure that others on this forum could also consider the building as being in site prep.

Put it to 'under construction' when new permanent materials are put in their permanent place.

DePaul Bunyan
Mar 10, 2007, 10:53 AM

Why don't we wait until they erect a tower crane?

Tom In Chicago
Mar 10, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah. . . probably best to just wait until there's a crane onsite to change the status. . .

biophilic
Apr 9, 2007, 1:16 PM
It looks like something's going on in the lobby at Blue Cross. Would anyone be willing to make a visit and see if they can get some photos of whatever is happening behind all of the construction netting they have up in the lobby?

I wasn't able to look too closely, but it looks like they may be cutting holes in some of the beam covers in the future elevator shafts.

SolarWind
Apr 10, 2007, 3:28 AM
It looks like something's going on in the lobby at Blue Cross. Would anyone be willing to make a visit and see if they can get some photos of whatever is happening behind all of the construction netting they have up in the lobby?

I wasn't able to look too closely, but it looks like they may be cutting holes in some of the beam covers in the future elevator shafts.

I should have looked inside. I was by the site on Thursday and took a picture in the back. They've placed a protective layer of plywood on the plaza area. I think this has been there for at least a week or two.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/363/dsc0129copyqx2.jpg

Tom In Chicago
Apr 10, 2007, 3:50 AM
Nice photos Solarwind. . . do you use a Nikon SLR?

cactus22minus1
Apr 10, 2007, 6:23 AM
Yes, a D80 according to his EXIF. I looked a month or so ago when I noticed how well his images were turning out even under un-optimal lighting scenarios. :) I JUST got myself a D40(basically stripped down workflow features, but with same optics and new in camera processing the D80 & D200 offer) after years of not being able to afford one, and I'm an extremely happy man right now. Sorry for the OT. And for answering for him. :)

Tom In Chicago
Apr 10, 2007, 2:25 PM
Thanks. . . I've noticed that Nikons have a signature look to the images that they produce. . . I'm not sure it's for better or worse, but Solarwinds photos are great nonetheless. . .

SolarWind
Apr 11, 2007, 2:38 AM
Nice photos Solarwind. . . do you use a Nikon SLR?
Thanks for the compliment, Tom. That means something coming from you. I consider you a skilled photographer. You don't post pictures often, but those that you have are spectacular. I recall one of 111 South Wacker & Hyatt Center and another of 55 E Monroe that are quite memorable. Would you consider posting more this summer?

Yes, as cactus22minus1 mentioned, I do use a D80. I bought it in January. I was previously using a five year old Olympus digital camera that I borrowed.

And back on topic... I stopped by BCBS today and took a peek inside. I did see the construction netting they have up in the lobby, but I couldn't really figure out what was going on behind it. I didn't bring my camera, so no pictures.

ardecila
Apr 11, 2007, 4:18 AM
Wow... you go from a borrowed camera to a D80? Kind of a big investment there - do you do photography professionally or as a hobby?

Alliance
Apr 11, 2007, 4:20 AM
All you peeps with your nice cameras. :(

Suburban Shadow
Apr 18, 2007, 8:10 PM
I got a chance to go to the 29th floor of the building the other day on business.

The installation for the new banks of elevators are being worked on in the building, so it is under construction. Thats the good news.

Drywall was opened up around the ends of the current steel structure to confirm that the dimensions for the connection points are correct. I was told that the top won't be opened up and steel installed for another 3 to 4 months.

If your waiting for a tower crane to confirm construction your going to have to wait awhile longer.

Alliance
Apr 18, 2007, 8:34 PM
3-4 months then...

djvandrake
May 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
More likely the logistics of creating a massive construction site where several thounsand non-construction types still show up to work every day. This is going to be a tricky undertaking and a very big building when completed.

Eventually...Chicago
May 18, 2007, 1:10 PM
You kind of have to wonder if it made sense for bcbs to phase this building. Considering the premium i am sure they are paying their contractor, it seems like it would have been better to go ahead and build it all the way up. Even if it is mostly empty for a year or two, i don't see the operating expenses out doing the extra effort to work with an existing building of that size and scope.

Saber925
May 18, 2007, 2:28 PM
i wonder if the delay in construction is from the difficulties of matching the current fun house glass facade to the newly constructed fun house glass curtain wall?

It will be interesting to see how well the new exterior matches the weather-worn existing structure. I hope it doesn't end up being a two-toned monstrosity.

trvlr70
May 18, 2007, 2:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how well the new exterior matches the weather-worn existing structure. I hope it doesn't end up being a two-toned monstrosity.

It won't be. The architect choose a glass that shows very little aging specifically for this purpose. When completed, you'll never be able to tell the difference between the two.

Marcu
May 18, 2007, 6:44 PM
i wonder if the delay in construction is from the difficulties of matching the current fun house glass facade to the newly constructed fun house glass curtain wall?

Thanks Alliance ;)

Latoso
May 20, 2007, 7:18 AM
You kind of have to wonder if it made sense for bcbs to phase this building. Considering the premium i am sure they are paying their contractor, it seems like it would have been better to go ahead and build it all the way up. Even if it is mostly empty for a year or two, i don't see the operating expenses out doing the extra effort to work with an existing building of that size and scope.

Good point. But to be fair to Blue Cross, they severely underestimated how quickly they would grow and need the extra space. They weren't expecting to need to expand for at least another 10-15 years.

Alliance
May 20, 2007, 4:57 PM
It won't be. The architect choose a glass that shows very little aging specifically for this purpose. When completed, you'll never be able to tell the difference between the two.

We can only hope...

BVictor1
Jun 6, 2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/415422,CST-FIN-roeder06.article

Blues may need East Loop mojo

REAL ESTATE | Insurers' premium office space in this market could be a tough sell

June 6, 2007

DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

Coming soon to the most leasing-challenged part of the downtown office market, the East Loop: more office space.

It will, however, be first-class space. Some of it will have commanding views of Millennium Park, which these days is enough to justify premium rents.

The space will be in the 24-story addition planned for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield building at 300 E. Randolph. When the parent company of the insurance plans, Health Care Service Corp., announced last year that it would build onto its high-rise home, it said the space would be allocated for its own expansion. But that expansion will occur at a more measured pace than was foreseen a year ago.

John Gleason, executive director of public affairs for Health Care Service, said the top floors will be leased to long-term tenants, and the levels just below that will be rented out for shorter terms. Exactly how the new floors will be assigned should be determined by early next year, Gleason said. He said his company and the Blues plans will occupy at least some of the new floors. "We need more space, but we don't need all of it right now," he said.

Interior work, including new elevators, started in the building last August, Gleason said, adding that construction should be visible on the outside by this fall. The 33-story building will remain in use while the work goes on.

Each floor offers 36,000 square feet for offices, so it's not unreasonable to think that at least 300,000 square feet will be brought to the market. That's a large infusion for a market in which offices have become a hard sell and owners of older buildings have been busy converting them to condos.

The addition was part of the original plan for the Blue Cross building, which opened in 1997.

In charge of the addition is James Goettsch, principal at Goettsch Partners Inc. The firm is the successor to Lohan Associates Inc., the building's original architectural firm.

BVictor1
Jun 9, 2007, 7:14 PM
I noticed this afternoon that the lane on upper Columbus next to Blue Cross is now barricaded off so that a protective overhead canopy can be installed.

Tom In Chicago
Jun 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
Is that what the structural steel sitting next to the building on Columbus is being used for?

Chi_Coruscant
Jun 21, 2007, 3:37 AM
Starting 06/22, the protection canopy will be constructed over the public walkways located on south and west sides of BCBSIL HQ for several weeks. Once installed, there will be lifting of rooftop cranes and steel.

There are displays of the rendering of canopies in the building lobby.

AnotherPunter
Jun 21, 2007, 8:04 PM
This rendering was posted in the Architectonica - LSE thread. I don't think I've seen it posted in this thread, but it shows the new BCBS expansion in situ. Its from the LSE website.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8137/bestlocationinchicagorejb4.jpg

biophilic
Jun 23, 2007, 3:48 AM
Is that what the structural steel sitting next to the building on Columbus is being used for?

No,
The structural steel beams you saw are actually being used inside the building to create new elevator landings at the lobby and top floors.

Ataraxy
Jun 25, 2007, 3:57 PM
Any updates on this expansion?

Tom In Chicago
Jun 26, 2007, 3:31 PM
It looks like they're delivering a crane on the site just east of BCBS behind 340. . .

SolarWind
Jul 16, 2007, 10:04 AM
July 14, 2007

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9727/dsc0257copyac6.jpg

Alliance
Jul 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
Good news.

How to they take off the top in a construction like this? Are they just going to start building up or are they going to rip off the whole roof?

Tom In Chicago
Jul 17, 2007, 3:52 AM
They had a helicopter out on Sunday morning lifting some mechanical bits off the roof. . . I'll post some photos shortly. . .

WonderlandPark
Jul 17, 2007, 4:44 AM
^^^ In that case, since this is an "unusual" construction situation, that would mean that this is U/C?

ardecila
Jul 17, 2007, 8:45 AM
I think we reached a consensus earlier that "construction" as far as we are concerned will begin when steel appears on the roof.

Sir Isaac Newton
Jul 17, 2007, 3:31 PM
Just had a random question....what do people think about BCBS being taller than 340 OTP? Do you think it will look a little bit awkward that each building along Randolph will get smaller as you head west down Randolph? (ie - Aon, to BCBS, to 340 OTP, etc.)...and that it might look better if the heights of the buildings on Randolph along MP were a little more symmetrical? Or do you think that the set-up along Randolph will look good that way?

honte
Jul 17, 2007, 4:48 PM
^ It will look good, almost as if someone had planned it. The Hancock cluster does the same thing when viewed from the west or east, and it looks awesome to me.

forumly_chgoman
Jul 17, 2007, 4:54 PM
Just had a random question....what do people think about BCBS being taller than 340 OTP? Do you think it will look a little bit awkward that each building along Randolph will get smaller as you head west down Randolph? (ie - Aon, to BCBS, to 340 OTP, etc.)...and that it might look better if the heights of the buildings on Randolph along MP were a little more symmetrical? Or do you think that the set-up along Randolph will look good that way?

1st I think you mean east down randolph as AOn in west of BCBS & BCBS is west of 340.

But even this is inaccurate as it will look more like a Sin wave running from michigan to Pru to 2 Pru to AOn as the peak down to BCBS to 340 on east

Pru
Jul 22, 2007, 6:09 AM

Actually I could live with it going up to maybe 600 feet. Admittedly it's always been a little squat, but I really want to be able to see Aqua better from the south. Streetwalls work best with a backdrop....

Alliance
Jul 23, 2007, 12:07 AM
I think the height is fine, its just so wide coimpared to 340 OTP...its kind of rediculous,

honte
Jul 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
I was at the site last night around 3:00 AM - they were welding up near the top of the atrium. What a sight! It looked like 5 floors had a contained blaze going on, everything glowing orange and flashing brightly.

BorisMolotov
Jul 23, 2007, 1:24 AM
^ For what possible reason would you have to be there at 3 in the morning?

honte
Jul 23, 2007, 3:27 AM
^ Oh, I was in the neighborhood because I just had to see if any dirt had shifted at the Chicago Spire site... ;)

the urban politician
Jul 23, 2007, 3:33 AM
I was at the site last night around 3:00 AM - they were welding up near the top of the atrium. What a sight! It looked like 5 floors had a contained blaze going on, everything glowing orange and flashing brightly.

^ They were working at 3 am on a weekend?

BaSa
Jul 23, 2007, 3:52 AM

Double-time... the pay must be good.

honte
Jul 23, 2007, 6:16 AM

Yeah, my thoughts were that too - which is why at first I actually did think it was a fire (no alcohol involved). But it makes some sense, if BCBS is trying to avoid disruptions to their daily business.

jjk1103
Jul 27, 2007, 2:56 AM
...when does this one finally move to "construction" ?

i_am_hydrogen
Jul 29, 2007, 9:49 PM
Taken today:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7591/bcbs1vb1.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9853/bcbs2uc9.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7042/bcbs3hf2.jpg

Dr. Taco
Jul 30, 2007, 4:26 AM
obviously, this thread needs to be moved RIGHT now ;)

awesome shots, though. you sure do get the good vantage points

vid
Jul 30, 2007, 4:36 PM
I feel sorry for the people living in 340 On The Park. :)

djvandrake
Jul 30, 2007, 5:05 PM
I feel sorry for the people living in 340 On The Park. :)

Yeah, their view is going to get a bit constrained and it'll be noisy for a while. BUT, the possibility of BCBS going up was disclosed to them before they bought (and they revealed it to me when I asked as an "interested potentail buyer" during a visit last year.) So the only surprise will be that it's happening so soon.

j korzeniowski
Jul 30, 2007, 5:11 PM
...when does this one finally move to "construction" ?

once we see caissons drilled into the roof ...

Dr. Taco
Jul 30, 2007, 5:33 PM

lol! I really hope you were joking ;)

Rocket1
Jul 30, 2007, 5:53 PM
I'm a bit surprised that vertical expansion isn't more common in cities like Chicago or New York.

Hospitals, college buildings, etc, expand horizontally all the time.

So in a city like Chicago where land has a high value on its own, it would make sense to design buildings for eventual vertical expansion -- especially when an upturn in the real estate market is forecast in several years time.

SlatsGrobnik
Jul 30, 2007, 9:34 PM

I'm insanely annoyed that I didn't think of that joke first! :haha: :haha:

Eventually...Chicago
Jul 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
Rocket1

Working with existing buildings at any scale is very difficult and expensive, even when planned for ahead of time. To be honest, i am amazed that this expansion is even happening. Especially since the contractor for the first part is different than the contractor for the expansion.

The costs trickled down to every little thing. For example, the more of a product you buy, the cheaper you can negotiate it. So instead of agreeing to one monumental package at the lowest possible per unit cost, you are doing two smaller ones. Also, because the crews are different, there is a certain amount of lag time for them to become familiar with the site. Lastly, to work on a building while it is in use, is very delicate.

Tom Servo
Jul 31, 2007, 12:25 AM
:rainbow:

Steely Dan
Jul 31, 2007, 12:43 AM
^ that's a good question. we haven't really had a project like this in this boom, so the rules are quite nebulous. i'd be inclined to say that it's U/C, but i'll let the emporis guys (dan, tom, victor, and shawn) make the call on this one.

do any of you emporis people have an opinion on this one?

museumparktom
Jul 31, 2007, 12:54 AM
Steely, I dont realy see a difference between this Very old Google earth pic and the new one. The steel structure has been there for years Not sure there is anything to call U/C? What do you guys see?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/Mansmith_2006/BCBSRoof.jpg

This is i_am_hydrogen's pic
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/Mansmith_2006/bcbs3hf2.jpg

It looks like there is a few ladders and a hoist structure.

Adam186
Jul 31, 2007, 1:04 AM
In the upper left corner there is a tarp that says hole. Maybe to throw trash? I'm not an expert though, it could've been there before.

Also, do you think a lot of work is being done under the roof? Moving the mechanical units and wiring and such so the building is opperable during construction? I would say if this is being done, then it's underconstruction. Again, not an expert though.

museumparktom
Jul 31, 2007, 1:15 AM
I missed that "HOLE" in the picture good catch Adam186. And your right that there may be work being done inside. Honte said that he saw them welding on the top 5 floors. But wouldn't that be considered site prep. Last winter I recall that we had this discussion when they were laying plywood in the back of the building on the plaza. To me when the roof is opened up and there is structural steel being delivered it's U/C.