HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:39 PM

150-160 Louis Pasteur [UofO] | ? m | 6 fl | Proposed

The building known as The Cube,100 Louis Pasteur, and MacDonald Hall,150 Louis Pasteur, are being emptied right now. Fencing is going up around them.

Demolition of these buildings will start in mid-October.

A new Science Building and new landscaping of the area will commence immediately after demolition.

Completion is expected in late 2018.

I have not seen a rendering of the new building. Perhaps someone here knows where to find one?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 12:55 PM

And will they keep the "eyes on the Canal" somehow?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
And will they keep the "eyes on the Canal" somehow?
I do not know ,but have wondered it. The previous Dean of Science, Dr Lalonde, wanted that mural restored. The university did that to honour him shortly before he died of cancer. They also named a lab in the new ARC building after him.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
I do not know ,but have wondered it. The previous Dean of Science, Dr Lalonde, wanted that mural restored. The university did that to honour him shortly before he died of cancer. They also named a lab in the new ARC building after him.
I've been told that this feature will be preserved.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:41 AM

I'm not overly familiar with the campus, but are you referring to the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) building that's being planned?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I'm not overly familiar with the campus, but are you referring to the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) building that's being planned?
I think so ---although I have also seen it referred to as The Undergraduate Science Teaching and Learning Center as well.

I gather it is moving ahead fast now because of government money that was very recently approved for this purpose. I understand that much of it is coming from the Feds. I am guessing it is part of the infrastructure spending that the Lib government promised.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
I think so ---although I have also seen it referred to as The Undergraduate Science Teaching and Learning Center as well.

I gather it is moving ahead fast now because of government money that was very recently approved for this purpose. I understand that much of it is coming from the Feds. I am guessing it is part of the infrastructure spending that the Lib government promised.
Ok. I haven't seen any renderings/plans for the STEM Building, but I did see a message from Fotenn saying they have been brought in to help on the project:

Quote:

FOTENN & Partners Win Bid for New STEM Building at University of Ottawa

Along with Perkins + Will and other project partners, FOTENN is thrilled to have been awarded an exciting contract to provide professional planning services for the new Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Building at the University of Ottawa. With its cutting-edge research and sustainable design, the building promises to make a valuable contribution to the University of Ottawa campus. FOTENN will help to guide the project through the municipal approvals process, as well as stakeholder consultation activities. The project will begin this summer, with construction expected to be completed in mid-2018.
But, I have seen some renderings about a Learning centre at Ottawa U (if this is the same one you are referring to), namely:

[Source]

[Source]

[Source]

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
But, I have seen some renderings about a Learning centre at Ottawa U (if this is the same one you are referring to), namely
No!----- the Learning center you show in your rendering is not on the Science campus but is the building being attached to Lamoureux Hall . It has been under construction for months and will be finished in 2017. There is another thread about it somewhere on this forum.

The new Science Building we are talking will not start construction until later this autumn and will not be finished until 2018.

While we are at it, a proposal has been made to add two stories to a part of the Colonel By Bldg (Engineering) soon. Not sure where the quest for funds for that one stands.

Then here is the new Faculty of Health Sciences Building on the Lees Campus. I once saw a document that indicated that funding for the first phase had been secured and that a couple of million dollars had already been spent getting the building design and planning process under way .

Construction for years to come!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:14 AM

I know this is the wrong place, but does anyone know what building is being completed directly behind the uOttawa sports complex?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I know this is the wrong place, but does anyone know what building is being completed directly behind the uOttawa sports complex?
Behind Montpetit Hall? It is called the Learning Centre.

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/learning-centre

Behind the Minto Sports Complex? It is a new residence on Mann Ave.

https://www.uottawa.ca/housing/compa...idences/45mann

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
The building known as The Cube,100 Louis Pasteur, and MacDonald Hall,150 Louis Pasteur, are being emptied right now. Fencing is going up around them.

Demolition of these buildings will start in mid-October.

A new Science Building and new landscaping of the area will commence immediately after demolition.

Completion is expected in late 2018.

I have not seen a rendering of the new building. Perhaps someone here knows where to find one?
I was on campus the other day and the fencing only surrounds the Cube and much of the parking lot. MacDonald does not appear to be inside the construction area..at least so far.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:27 PM

The RFP for an architect: https://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIE...YDvGZpMg%3D%3D

And some chatter in the master plan. Sounds like they picked the Cube/MacDonald site. Item 8.

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/si..._section_6.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I was on campus the other day and the fencing only surrounds the Cube and much of the parking lot. MacDonald does not appear to be inside the construction area..at least so far.
That is because MacDonald is not completely emptied yet. The Dean's office staff will move to swing space on the third floor of Tabaret in a few days. Demolition is slated to begin in Mid-October.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:24 PM

The Cube has been demolished. MacDonald Hall next month.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:59 PM

Interesting spot for the Dean's office to end up. I wonder why they moved out of the front of Marion....

The physics department still lists themselves are occupying MacDonald.

Couple photos of the Cube coming down.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedUOtt...type=3&theater

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting spot for the Dean's office to end up. I wonder why they moved out of the front of Marion....

Marion will undergo some reconstruction and will be attached to the STEM building.The Dean's office in an area affected by this reconstruction, at the front of Marion, is being relocated to Tabaret Hall. Physics is currently being rehoused in other buildings.The building isn't scheduled for demolition until late October.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:

Cube was ugly, but it's always funny to see a place torn down that I spent a bunch of time in. I'm just old enough to remember a day when we didn't all have laptops and smart phones and cube was used as a computer lab, primarily for science students. It hasn't been that long, but the science area of U of O campus is absolutely unrecognizable compared to my undergrad. Anyone else 'lucky' enough to spend time in Gendron or Vachon for lab courses?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Cube was ugly, but it's always funny to see a place torn down that I spent a bunch of time in. I'm just old enough to remember a day when we didn't all have laptops and smart phones and cube was used as a computer lab, primarily for science students. It hasn't been that long, but the science area of U of O campus is absolutely unrecognizable compared to my undergrad. Anyone else 'lucky' enough to spend time in Gendron or Vachon for lab courses?
I did computer science from 99 through 03. I had *one* physics lab in the old building where the Biosciences building is now (can't remember its name, but it was creepy as hell after dark), before it was moved to Macdonald. I also had a few CSI labs in the Cube. I'm surprised that building lasted this long.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
"lucky" was right; and then there was the privilege of writing exams in the portables in front of Vanier.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:43 PM

There closing off access all around Macdonald from this Friday at 16h till Sunday at 17h.
I'm going to assume they are knocking down the building this weekend.

http://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/pro...d-construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa