PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

PHXFlyer11
Feb 8, 2019, 9:33 PM
How do these people still have money hasn't this been int he works for like 6 years?

I'll believe it when the crane is more than 10 feet off the ground...

muertecaza
Feb 8, 2019, 10:11 PM

It is very strange. I see people working there every time I go by. And they have made very incremental progress. But they are on pace to finish by like 2028.

Obadno
Feb 8, 2019, 10:19 PM
It is very strange. I see people working there every time I go by. And they have made very incremental progress. But they are on pace to finish by like 2028.

Well that Jefferson building across the river also took an absurd amount of time.

ASUSunDevil
Feb 8, 2019, 10:23 PM
How do these people still have money hasn't this been int he works for like 6 years?

Thought I remember someone on here saying that the developer owns that crane, so they weren't blowing $ by having it on site.

Would love to see this one start moving faster!

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 8, 2019, 10:25 PM
I haven't followed this development as much, but wasn't it acquiring financing that was holding up the project? If they've finally acquired it financing, then it should start moving much quicker, correct?

Mr.RE
Feb 11, 2019, 3:23 PM
I haven't followed this development as much, but wasn't it acquiring financing that was holding up the project? If they've finally acquired it financing, then it should start moving much quicker, correct?

Correct. Their construction Take Out Loan most likely required them to hit certain milestones/overcome hurdles before having a new draw approved to be paid. Now that their building permit is approved, I assume they will be able to draw from their new loan to begin work at a faster pace. Assuming they stay on schedule, we should see this thing top out in about 20 months. I would say this will be delivered in late 2021. I hope this project still includes two 24 story towers... any update on the plan itself?

muertecaza
Feb 11, 2019, 3:38 PM
Correct. Their construction Take Out Loan most likely required them to hit certain milestones/overcome hurdles before having a new draw approved to be paid. Now that their building permit is approved, I assume they will be able to draw from their new loan to begin work at a faster pace. Assuming they stay on schedule, we should see this thing top out in about 20 months. I would say this will be delivered in late 2021. I hope this project still includes two 24 story towers... any update on the plan itself?

When it was going through design review, it was proposed as a phased development with one tower and parking first, and the second tower second. Haven't seen any change to that, but I suppose anything could happen.

asugrad
Feb 11, 2019, 4:02 PM

I think they are beginning to ramp up the building process because I noticed this morning the crane now has that jumper thing in the middle to raise it up.

Mr.RE
Feb 11, 2019, 5:31 PM
Should we make a thread dedicated to this project if it gets going pretty quick? Would be the 2nd largest residential high rise in Tempe behind W6.

Mr.RE
Feb 11, 2019, 5:45 PM
Most Recent pic I can find of Watermark. Moving quick!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7899/32121546507_c10e77bf37_b.jpg

Mr.RE
Feb 11, 2019, 5:49 PM
https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=71532

Development Plan Review will be looking at plans for a 9 story office tower Building C as part of the Grand Development.

"Request a Development Plan Review for a new nine-story, 224,940 square-foot office building for THE GRAND AT PAPAGO PARK CENTER -- PHASE 3: OFFICE BUILDING C, located at 1121 West Washington Street. The applicant is Davis. (PL180306)"

azsunsurfer
Feb 11, 2019, 6:04 PM
https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=71532

Development Plan Review will be looking at plans for a 9 story office tower Building C as part of the Grand Development.

"Request a Development Plan Review for a new nine-story, 224,940 square-foot office building for THE GRAND AT PAPAGO PARK CENTER -- PHASE 3: OFFICE BUILDING C, located at 1121 West Washington Street. The applicant is Davis. (PL180306)"

Yes...this was already covered at a "Study Session Meeting" a few pages back. It's for that Japanese bank that has an office in the 4 story building and this is for the lot directly next to it. Remember the parking garage was being extended.

Mr.RE
Feb 12, 2019, 7:09 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7843/46161229865_c2a37a4aee_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7922/46351129694_7d77a0f562_c.jpg

Spitfiredude
Feb 13, 2019, 4:29 PM
They’re raising the tower crane on The Pier. I’ll get pictures later today or tomorrow.

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 13, 2019, 5:00 PM
They’re raising the tower crane on The Pier. I’ll get pictures later today or tomorrow.

Awesome! I need to drive out the to Tempe this weekend. I'll bet all the tower cranes look amazing coming from the 202 :tup:

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2019, 5:18 PM
Awesome! I need to drive out the to Tempe this weekend. I'll bet all the tower cranes look amazing coming from the 202 :tup:

This is truly a miracle after all this time! Hopefully it will spark some of those other lots with new proposals that surround the pier, as I'm sure those are all dead now. Most of them sucked anyways. Let this be the new standard.

muertecaza
Feb 13, 2019, 5:41 PM

Noticed this on my way in today as well. Very cool.

And here are a couple pictures from yesterday and today:

The Local's facade is coming together. Maybe a little busy for my taste, but I like the design on the elevator shaft:

https://i.imgur.com/yQq68mgh.jpg

And Watermark is really starting to look cool. Apologies from my crappy phone camera.

https://i.imgur.com/Dsp2ECjh.jpg

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 13, 2019, 6:02 PM
but I like the design on the elevator shaft:

Elevator shafts are always so under looked. I wish more thought was put into them. They are part of the building and should be treated as such. Glad to see them put a little something into this one even if it's just some geometric shapes. Maybe more will follow.

Mr.RE
Feb 13, 2019, 8:51 PM
We need more projects proposed on the lake similar to Watermark. If the south end followed suit with more height, this city will really start to blow up. Betting on the first 500' mixed use tower in Tempe before Downtown :tup:

Sun Belt
Feb 13, 2019, 10:24 PM
Most Recent pic I can find of Watermark. Moving quick!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7899/32121546507_c10e77bf37_b.jpg

Wait.

What the heck happened to Club Rio?!

That view from that corner has changed just a little bit.

Geez Louise!!!

Obadno
Feb 13, 2019, 10:47 PM
Wait.

Geez Louise!!!

Pretty sure Club Rio has been gone for 20 years lol

michael85225
Feb 14, 2019, 1:22 AM
Club Rio has been gone for a while. I remember when I was a kid my older brothers would always go there on the weekends to get drunk off their asses and get into all kinds of trouble. Alot of memories there.

exit2lef
Feb 14, 2019, 1:50 AM
I remember going to Club Rio in the early '90s. I don't think it lasted long beyond that era.

soled
Feb 14, 2019, 2:07 AM
Wait.

Geez Louise!!!

Good thing Dooley's is still around.

ASU Diablo
Feb 14, 2019, 10:50 PM
What a waste of time and money this whole Amazon "HQ2" search was but sounds like the Valley might still benefit...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2019/02/14/phoenix-to-land-some-amazon-jobs-originally.html
Amazon withdrew plans to open a 25,000-person office in New York, citing opposition from politicians there.

The Seattle-based company said it does not plan to reopen the search for an "HQ2." Amazon will move forward with plans for new offices in Northern Virginia and Nashville and will instead create those forecasted 25,000 jobs across its 17 North America tech hubs, including one in the Valley.

Amazon currently employs 350 at its tech hub in Tempe at Warner Road and Loop 101 at the Arizona State University Research Park. Operations include Amazon Business and Amazon Marketplace at the Tempe site, according to Amazon. It is unclear how many jobs might land in Tempe. However, if Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) split the jobs evenly across its 17 offices, each would receive approximately 1,470 jobs.

asugrad
Feb 15, 2019, 2:47 PM
I drove through Tempe yesterday and noticed a few things...

1. I'm confident that "Skyview" (SE of 8th st. and Rural) project is either on a huge hold or dead because I noticed them putting in pathways and trees on the property to make it like a small park. I cant imagine they would do this if something was coming soon. At least they are making the ugly lot look a little better. They are still on the development list.

https://www.connect.media/plans-filed-393-unit-skyview/

2. The oleanders that covered the ASU running track and baseball field have all been chopped down to the ground (looks horrible now) suggesting they are going to clear all that out for NOVUS

3. Traffic has become so bad in Tempe that I really don't know how it can support any more housing or large office spaces. With all the new construction and apartments coming end of this year/next I cant imagine what traffic will be like and especially since Tempe just ran out Lime/Razor scooters this week, transportation is becoming a mess.

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 15, 2019, 2:51 PM
3. Traffic has become so bad in Tempe that I really don't know how it can support any more housing or large office spaces. With all the new construction and apartments coming end of this year/next I cant imagine what traffic will be like and especially since Tempe just ran out Lime/Razor scooters this week, transportation is becoming a mess.

Not really a bad thing. Tempe is poised to become a fully walk-able urban city. Also, the street car is going to help with moving people around. Maybe people will finally start ditching their cars or parking near the fringes and walking or riding the LRT/street car.

exit2lef
Feb 15, 2019, 4:29 PM
Not really a bad thing. Tempe is poised to become a fully walk-able urban city. Also, the street car is going to help with moving people around. Maybe people will finally start ditching their cars or parking near the fringes and walking or riding the LRT/street car.

Agreed. Tempe is multi-modal, not a mess. If a city is easier to traverse via train or bike than a car, that's not necessarily a problem. A certain degree of congestion is a sign of a place worth visiting, an urban success story.

muertecaza
Feb 15, 2019, 4:54 PM
Agreed. Tempe is multi-modal, not a mess. If a city is easier to traverse via train or bike than a car, that's not necessarily a problem. A certain degree of congestion is a sign of a place worth visiting, an urban success story.

I'd go as far to call congestion a 'feature,' and not a 'bug.' And even then Tempe, like most places is, congested for like one hour in the morning, and one hour in the evening, and that's mostly it. I bike most days, but I drove into work today down Rio Salado, and even by 8:50 AM there was essentially no congestion, even with construction on Rio Salado. I think there's a long way to go before I'd consider it an issue.

asugrad
Feb 15, 2019, 5:59 PM

True, but where? From one side of mill to the other? The only thing that the streetcar services is State Farm and students. Maybe they will expand it to Tempe marketplace and Mesa Riverview in the future, which would make it better but, there is no new parking or anything and the people that already live in the immediate area are already walking/biking. I'm really referring to the thousands of people that will be driving in to work (from other parts of the valley) in the new offices and the thousands of people that will have cars in the new apartments. Let's be honest, not everyone that works in Tempe can afford the prices of some of those new "Luxury" apartments and and most people will NOT take the light rail because it doesn't service much of the valley where many families live and where much of the new growth of affordable housing resides (South Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Queen Creek). Most of the people at State Farm don't even live in Tempe. I lived in Tempe from 2007-2016 and saw tremendous growth during that time and witnessed the traffic get progressively worse, but in the last 3 years the construction has increased tenfold and many are not open yet. I live in Scottsdale now and I rarely drive thought Tempe because of the traffic.

https://www.homesnacks.net/most-expensive-cities-in-arizona-127544/

I do agree that the future is less cars, but its going to get a lot worse until it can get better because the infrastructure of the roads just can't support local traffic of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, I embrace growth (unlike half the people in Tempe) but can I see why they don't agree with some of the change. I just wish they would do more to fix the traffic/parking problem and I do wish people in AZ would embrace public transit more. All major/successful cities have a great public transportation system and I do believe we are slowly building towards that.:cheers:

exit2lef
Feb 15, 2019, 6:39 PM
True, but where? From one side of mill to the other? The only thing that the streetcar services is State Farm and students. Maybe they will expand it to Tempe marketplace and Mesa Riverview in the future, which would make it better but, there is no new parking or anything and the people that already live in the immediate area are already walking/biking. I'm really referring to the thousands of people that will be driving in to work (from other parts of the valley) in the new offices and the thousands of people that will have cars in the new apartments. Let's be honest, not everyone that works in Tempe can afford the prices of some of those new "Luxury" apartments and and most people will NOT take the light rail because it doesn't service much of the valley where many families live and where much of the new growth of affordable housing resides (South Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Queen Creek). Most of the people at State Farm don't even live in Tempe. I lived in Tempe from 2007-2016 and saw tremendous growth during that time and witnessed the traffic get progressively worse, but in the last 3 years the construction has increased tenfold and many are not open yet. I live in Scottsdale now and I rarely drive thought Tempe because of the traffic.

https://www.homesnacks.net/most-expensive-cities-in-arizona-127544/

I do agree that the future is less cars, but its going to get a lot worse until it can get better because the infrastructure of the roads just can't support local traffic of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, I embrace growth (unlike half the people in Tempe) but can I see why they don't agree with some of the change. I just wish they would do more to fix the traffic/parking problem and I do wish people in AZ would embrace public transit more. All major/successful cities have a great public transportation system and I do believe we are slowly building towards that.:cheers:

Two things that can be done:

First, employers in Downtown Tempe need to stop giving away parking. I'm not sure what State Farm does, but someone once told me that Chase gives employees free parking privileges in its garages along Ash Avenue. Free parking is probably the best way to create an incentive to drive alone. Charge a realistic price for parking and more employees with choose other options such as driving part of the way to a light rail park-and-ride. In addition, these employers should subsidize transit passes as part of the Maricopa County trip reduction program.

Second, Valley Metro should try again to implement express bus service connecting Downtown Tempe with other parts of the East Valley. The agency experimented with this about a decade ago with an express bus from Queen Creek to Tempe. It didn't work out, but maybe things have changed over the years. For those who work in Tempe but don't live near the light rail corridor, express buses might be an option. They're certainly popular among those who work in Downtown Phoenix.

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 15, 2019, 7:56 PM
Two things that can be done:

First, employers in Downtown Tempe need to stop giving away parking. I'm not sure what State Farm does, but someone once told me that Chase gives employees free parking privileges in its garages along Ash Avenue. Free parking is probably the best way to create an incentive to drive alone. Charge a realistic price for parking and more employees with choose other options such as driving part of the way to a light rail park-and-ride. In addition, these employers should subsidize transit passes as part of the Maricopa County trip reduction program

You don't necessarily need to charge your employees for the parking. Offering reduced fare transit passes does enough in itself. The State doesn't charge for parking in any of their Downtown garages, but a surprising amount of State employees do use LRT to get to work. I suspect the reduced fare is enough to justify not having to deal with traffic and gas costs during rush hour and there are PLENTY of parking spaces available where I work, so it's not a finding a spot to park issue.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I actually had a conversation last week with a co-worker that I haven't seen on the LRT lately. I asked her why she hasn't been riding. Her reply was "I'm a contractor, so I can't get Capital Rideshare until I'm hired full time. So it's costing me more to ride everyday than in gas. But when I am brought on full-time, I will start taking it again".

So yes, reduced fare does have an impact.

combusean
Feb 15, 2019, 8:24 PM
This whole thread demonstrates the notion of induced demand. There's too much traffic, so it keeps people from driving. As soon as a measure is implemented to increase throughput, traffic will fill back up and keep people away. It shouldn't have to be repeated here that you cannot pave your way out of congestion.

The plain stubbornness that would keep somebody from using a park-and-ride is a generational issue unless there's some overrarching reason like childcare which isn't often the case. Folks will also come to realize that a paycheck is more important than driving to work. In time, like myself, they will orient their commutes around *not* driving.

somethingfast
Feb 16, 2019, 4:15 PM
No specific news here (ha, as usual!) from me but was in downtown Tempe at the Moxie for an event and was pretty impressed at how dense and urban Tempe feels now. Super busy and happening (cool word for me!) place with a definite vibrancy and energy that wasn't there when I went to school (ahem) a while ago! Keeping kicking butt Tempe!

azsunsurfer
Feb 20, 2019, 4:22 PM
Interesting proposal for near Rural and Broadway "Tempe Micro Estates." Looks like a site for micro housing. I am sure we'll see more soon.

Also anyone notice on the proposal for the 9 story building at the Grand that it looks like they are changing the plans for the hard corner of Priest and Washington? Looks like the hotel footprint will sit against both Priest and Washington with the surface parking and drop off roundabout in the interior of the site. Not sure if there is retail still planned for street level or not? I guess well see when they submit that corner for review.

At least I like the angles incorporated into the new office building!

TAZ4ate0
Feb 20, 2019, 4:33 PM
Wait.

Geez Louise!!!

Club Rio closed around 2007. I was sad, it used to be one of my favorite clubs during my college days. It was demolished and the lot sat empty for years. Thankfully, that whole northside of the lake,between Rural and Mill, has developed rapidly in the past couple of years and isn't the deslate eyesore it once was. Huge change indeed!

TAZ4ate0
Feb 20, 2019, 4:38 PM
Interesting proposal for near Rural and Broadway "Tempe Micro Estates." Looks like a site for micro housing. I am sure we'll see more soon.

Interesting. I can't think of any empty lots in that area to build unless something is demoed. lol

muertecaza
Feb 20, 2019, 5:49 PM
Interesting. I can't think of any empty lots in that area to build unless something is demoed. lol

It's a small development here: https://goo.gl/maps/QYS3JYDeZ3r

It's interesting to me that they prioritized having the units detached, despite being "micro." I'm all for variety, so it will be interesting to see if these are popular.

Obadno
Feb 20, 2019, 7:56 PM
Camden II replacing the progressive Opp Center at Curry and 68th street.

http://azbex.com/397-unit-camden-hayden-ii-to-complete-trifecta-in-tempe/

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/FP-PD-Camden-Hayden-II-620x264.jpg

mden USA of Sherman Oaks, CA plans to nestle six four-story and one three-story apartment buildings on an 11.59-acre parcel situated between their existing Camden Hayden I and Camden Sotelo communities in Tempe.

The 397-unit development, called Camden Hayden II and located on the SEC of North College Avenue and East Weber Drive, would also include construction of a dog park.

With a density of 34.25 du/ac, Camden has proposed to designate the property as mixed-use rather than multi-family, citing the addition of two live-work units as a reason to meet zoning requirements. This would require transitioning the property from the current commercial use and increasing the density from medium to high.

The site is located in the GID zoning district and was previously used as Progressive Insurance Company office space and an estimating center to assess damaged vehicles. The older industrial site sits between two modern-era residential communities to the immediate north and east, owned and operated by Camden.

“The proposed density promotes a village environment with easy access to goods and services, business and recreation. The additional residential density will positively impact the surrounding businesses,” said the developer in the application.

Northeast of the proposed site is a strip mall including a Goodwill store, fast food restaurants/drive-thrus and a gas station. To the west and southwest, areas including Papago Park, Tempe Town Lake, the Green Belt and downtown Tempe offer residents a variety of recreation options.

“These areas, all within a walkable or bikeable distance from the proposed new development, are appropriate and complementary uses for residential – not industrial – users,” the developer claims.

The proposed development would provide a new bus shelter on College Avenue and complete the regional bicycle lane network for bicyclists traveling northbound on College Avenue, completing the entire segment from Gilbert Drive in Tempe to Thomas Road in the City of Scottsdale.

“The proposed land use encourages creatively designed developments which create a living environment, reflective of a village concept, in which there is the opportunity to live, work and recreate in the same development or within the area,” said the developer in the application.

Camden’s regard for its residents extends to their four-legged friends. The development plan for Camden Hayden II includes a proposed dog park on the SEC of College Avenue and Weber Drive and will be open to the general public.

Sun Belt
Feb 20, 2019, 11:53 PM
Club Rio closed around 2007. I was sad, it used to be one of my favorite clubs during my college days. It was demolished and the lot sat empty for years. Thankfully, that whole northside of the lake,between Rural and Mill, has developed rapidly in the past couple of years and isn't the deslate eyesore it once was. Huge change indeed!

Ok then.

Please tell me Flaky Jakes hasn't closed for a high rise development!

combusean
Feb 21, 2019, 7:02 PM
I don't get four story apartment buildings with expansive surface parking. I never thought I'd long for garden apartment garbage if the density's going to be the same.

azsunsurfer
Feb 21, 2019, 7:07 PM
I don't get four story apartment buildings with expansive surface parking. I never thought I'd long for garden apartment garbage if the density's going to be the same.

I wish the first phase was designed at least like this phase!! At these this phase faces the street and park, adds some height and density. The first phase is a walled off fortress from Scottsdale rd. Terrible street presence. I have no idea what Tempe was thinking at the time. Not a nice gateway.

Obadno
Feb 21, 2019, 7:35 PM
I wish the first phase was designed at least like this phase!! At these this phase faces the street and park, adds some height and density. The first phase is a walled off fortress from Scottsdale rd. Terrible street presence. I have no idea what Tempe was thinking at the time. Not a nice gateway.

Because that part of Tempe is hardly even considered Tempe even by Tempe.

Its stuck between the crappiest parts of Scottsdale and a County Island.

ASUSunDevil
Feb 22, 2019, 4:58 PM
Because that part of Tempe is hardly even considered Tempe even by Tempe.

Its stuck between the crappiest parts of Scottsdale and a County Island.

That neighborhood is getting nicer every day, but ok...

Obadno
Feb 22, 2019, 5:55 PM
That neighborhood is getting nicer every day, but ok...

The County Island will never be nice unless it gets annexed by Scottsdale or Tempe

exit2lef
Feb 22, 2019, 6:58 PM
The County Island will never be nice unless it gets annexed by Scottsdale or Tempe

Maybe it can become the new home for the self-described junker who continues to fight Tempe over the land he occupies on the south side of the river.

vandypandybear
Feb 22, 2019, 9:11 PM

This was an anchor project when it was first developed. It is still surrounded by used car dealers, body shops & strip clubs. At least they didn't put a wall up between the complex and the retail on the north side.

TakeFive
Feb 22, 2019, 11:22 PM
ASU is not a world class university. It is a middling PAC 12 school in both athletics & academics. Don’t read into the rhetoric. US News ranks ASU 9th in the PAC-12. Behind UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal & Washington (okay)....Colorado... (that’s embarrassing).

Bu, Bu, But CU is in the Kingdom of Boulder, the most liberal elitist town around. Boulder bought up land on the edge for greenbelt so it couldn't sprawl. So go vertical? Nah, it took Google years to get permission to build three 4-story buildings... all that density.

Just for grins I found this post (https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-academic-ranking-of-schools-in-the-Pac-12) which is from 2016 and lists CU 45th and ASU 54th but I wouldn't be embarrassed. They've long had a rep for Aerospace (not unlike UofA) and bio-science but I'd guess that with ASU's growth their overall engineering is now at least 50% larger than CU's. CU does have a good Med School but that's because they were smart enough to place it in Denver, lol.

In the dozen years I've been 'down here' ASU has done amazing things. I have noted how Michael Crow has enhanced their rep by buying/recruiting some well-known talent. PHXFlyer11 is right that their business school is highly regarded. But overall I'd agree with Obadno that it's more important to educate the state's citizens in general than worry about ratings.

TakeFive
Feb 22, 2019, 11:42 PM
My favorite view in Tempe right now, with Canopy, Mirabella and the Collective all going:

https://i.imgur.com/jaHvaPkh.jpg

Can I assume it's the red and white barriers?

That is a good perspective, I'd agree.

CB1
Feb 23, 2019, 12:23 AM
http://i66.tinypic.com/2v1wvlw.jpg[/IMG]

CB1
Feb 23, 2019, 12:24 AM
http://i68.tinypic.com/281x4rs.jpg[/IMG]

vandypandybear
Feb 23, 2019, 8:39 PM
A frosty skyline photo from this morning:
https://i.imgur.com/jTLInEt.jpg

muertecaza
Feb 23, 2019, 11:07 PM
A frosty skyline photo from this morning:

Awesome picture, thanks for posting.

combusean
Feb 23, 2019, 11:44 PM
^ Shocked to see all that snow. Never seen anything like that in my life.

xymox
Feb 24, 2019, 7:24 PM
^ Shocked to see all that snow. Never seen anything like that in my life.

Same. I’ve been here for 30 years - I have never seen such an extent of snow cover across the north valley like I did the past couple days. 12” in Tonto Foothills, 9” in North Scottsdale - 4” in Fountain Hills. I’ve seen the McDowell’s with snow before and the mountains north of Cave Creek - but Friday morning driving east on Sonoran Desert Dr - you saw white all the way down from those mountains to the homes. Incredible.

DesertRay
Feb 24, 2019, 9:24 PM
Same. I’ve been here for 30 years - I have never seen such an extent of snow cover across the north valley like I did the past couple days. 12” in Tonto Foothills, 9” in North Scottsdale - 4” in Fountain Hills. I’ve seen the McDowell’s with snow before and the mountains north of Cave Creek - but Friday morning driving east on Sonoran Desert Dr - you saw white all the way down from those mountains to the homes. Incredible.

Been here for almost 50 years. I've never seen that before. Never. Enjoy it!

TJPHXskyscraperfan
Feb 25, 2019, 1:08 AM
Did none of not live here New Years?lol. It was almost like that New Years morning.

DesertRay
Feb 25, 2019, 2:28 AM
Did none of not live here New Years?lol. It was almost like that New Years morning.

The mountains weren't blanketed in snow. Nope.

xymox
Feb 25, 2019, 1:17 PM

Not quite the same - I have pictures from both events. You had to drive well into the Tonto National Forest off Cave Creek to get to just 2 inches of snow. That area had over 12 this time.

This was almost as significant as the storm of 67 which set a bunch of previous records.

CB1
Feb 27, 2019, 11:46 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/23h26af.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

CB1
Mar 1, 2019, 12:24 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/2w3c5eu.jpg[/IMG]

CB1
Mar 1, 2019, 12:26 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/2w3c5eu.jpg[/IMG]

The newest drawings for I.D.E.A show some of the buildings being taller.

CB1
Mar 1, 2019, 1:57 AM
Here is the video for Tempe State of the City 2018. It goes over some of the developments going on around the city.

https://youtu.be/ZfngVsNFLaI

Mr.RE
Mar 1, 2019, 10:53 PM
http://azbex.com/plans-unveiled-for-4th-phase-of-the-grand-at-papago-park-center/

More info on new office and parking garage at the Grand.

ASUSunDevil
Mar 1, 2019, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the pics, CB1! Starting to think you might be in the know :D

CB1
Mar 1, 2019, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the pics, CB1! Starting to think you might be in the know :D

Thanks ASUSunDevil. I’m glad I found this forum. There are a lot of great contributors in this group.

ASUSunDevil
Mar 2, 2019, 7:27 PM
Thanks ASUSunDevil. I’m glad I found this forum. There are a lot of great contributors in this group.

Agree!

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but fencing is up for 100 Mill (Mill Ave & Rio Salado). Construction scheduled to start Q2 :cheers:

muertecaza
Mar 2, 2019, 8:18 PM
Agree!

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but fencing is up for 100 Mill (Mill Ave & Rio Salado). Construction scheduled to start Q2 :cheers:

Wow, nice! Did that just go up today? Don't think I noticed it Friday. This one has been a long wait, but I think it will be worth it.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 2, 2019, 8:26 PM
Agree!

Awesome! Can we confirm tangible progress on The Pier?

Tempe is on fire!

Is The Hilton on 7th officially dead?

CB1
Mar 2, 2019, 11:21 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/250qf43.jpg[/IMG]

Metro 101 apartments

CB1
Mar 2, 2019, 11:23 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/4jmepu.jpg[/IMG]

Eastline Village

CB1
Mar 2, 2019, 11:25 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/29kti14.jpg[/IMG]

Mirabella

CB1
Mar 2, 2019, 11:28 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/120jwgz.jpg[/IMG]

Crescent Rio

somethingfast
Mar 3, 2019, 1:29 AM
Nice pics, thanks CB1!

muertecaza
Mar 4, 2019, 4:42 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/120jwgz.jpg[/IMG]

Crescent Rio

Thanks for the pictures. I think Crescent Rio turned out really well. I really like that whole stretch of 1st St. Hopefully the projects keep coming along there.

azsunsurfer
Mar 4, 2019, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I think Crescent Rio turned out really well. I really like that whole stretch of 1st St. Hopefully the projects keep coming along there.

I don't! I wish they built the original proposal, it wouldn't have been that much taller especially with the heights of the buildings of "IDEA"

azsunsurfer
Mar 4, 2019, 4:50 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2019/03/01/first-lookchase-moves-into-new-east-valley-campus.html?iana=hpmvp_phx_news_headline

Behind a paywall and my paywall is on my personal laptop...news about Chase's move (assuming from Downtown Phoenix) to it's new campus at the Discovery Biz Center. They renovated some of the older buildings from the Microchip plant. They hint at future phases for expansion but not sure if that will result in midrises like the Wells Fargo campus in Chandler? Plenty of land for redevelopment. The rehab pictures look nice.

CrestedSaguaro
Mar 4, 2019, 4:58 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2019/03/01/first-lookchase-moves-into-new-east-valley-campus.html?iana=hpmvp_phx_news_headline

Behind a paywall and my paywall is on my personal laptop...news about Chase's move (assuming from Downtown Phoenix) to it's new campus at the Discovery Biz Center. They renovated some of the older buildings from the Microchip plant. They hint at future phases for expansion but not sure if that will result in midrises like the Wells Fargo campus in Chandler? Plenty of land for redevelopment. The rehab pictures look nice.

Here you go:
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is acclimating to its new digs in Tempe, with the banking firm having recently moved about 2,000 employees to what will be its new corporate campus.

Named the JPMorgan Chase & Co. Tempe South Corporate Center, the campus has been in the works since 2017. So far, the New York-based bank has moved into two of the four buildings that it acquired in the 2100 block of East Elliott Road. The four-building campus has some 800,000 square feet of space.

Chase (NYSE: JPM) began moving employees to the campus in December and completed the moves in February. Local officials said it was important to keep the bank's presence in the Valley strong and growing.

“We’ve been a part of this community through our predecessor banks for more than 100 years and operations in metro Phoenix are a priority for JPMorgan Chase,” said Mike Cunningham, Chase’s managing director for fraud operations. “As the home to about 2,000 employees, this new campus allows us to continue to enhance the facilities we provide to our teams. This in turn allows our employees to come together in expertly-designed spaces to collaborate, problem solve and provide outstanding service to our customers.”

Many of those jobs are shifting from downtown Phoenix, where Chase was the main tenant in a namesake building on Central Avenue that dominates the city skyline. Employees at the campus are part of the bank's consumer and community banking operations and responsible for merchant services and consumer issues as well as fraud detection and collections

But following a recent trend to create more "livability" in business-oriented campuses, Chase has developed its Tempe project with a host of new employee-focused features that include cafes, a 24-hour market, bike and walking paths, a health center and other amenities.

“We’re one of the Valley’s largest employers, and it was important for us to create a vibrant work environment that our employees need and deserve,” said Izma Miller, Chase's vice president and regional real estate manager for global real estate administration. “Through the modernization of our offices, we're creating a space that leads to healthier, happier and more productive employees. We’re also advancing our global sustainability efforts with onsite solar arrays that will offset 30 percent of our power needs.”

The campus also aims for sustainability, with a 3.6 megawatt solar system the company estimates will offset about 30 percent of its power when it becomes operational later this year. It's part of Chase's effort to get 100 percent of its power from renewable energy by 2020.

Chase's downtown Phoenix tower, where it had leased space, was sold last year for $78.8 million.

CB1
Mar 4, 2019, 7:00 PM

I agree with the stretch on 1st street. Ive been trying to figure out if any developments are planned in those fenced parcels on 1st by the Yard or by 1st and Priest but haven’t found anything.

Mr.RE
Mar 4, 2019, 7:21 PM
I agree with the stretch on 1st street. Ive been trying to figure out if any developments are planned in those fenced parcels on 1st by the Yard or by 1st and Priest but haven’t found anything.

If you are referring to the parking lots south of the Yard, that's a planned office building with a parking structure. I believe its up on the tempe development project tracker.

ASUSunDevil
Mar 4, 2019, 8:16 PM
If you are referring to the parking lots south of the Yard, that's a planned office building with a parking structure. I believe its up on the tempe development project tracker.

Between the parking passes they sell to ASU students and the parking tickets that they give to patrons of The Yard, that lot is a cash cow. It doesn't seem like they're in any rush to build the office proposal.

PHXFlyer11 - I don't think the Hilton on 7th is dead. We are impatient and The Collective went up so quick that it seems like Hilton is taking forever :tup:

muertecaza
Mar 4, 2019, 8:27 PM

Pretty sure that the fencing at the SWC of 1st/Wilson (if that's one of the ones to which you're referring) didn't have anything to do with a development. And it seemed like the fencing in that vacant lot nearer 1st/Priest was just staging for one of the other developments.

When I read your comment I did vaguely remember reading something about the lot at the NEC of 1st/Hardy. Googling led me to this, which is what I think I remembered reading:

https://azbigmedia.com/edu3-ventures-buys-land-near-tempe-town-lake/

That site was used for staging for Crescent Rio, but with that project wrapping up, maybe this could be the next development we see on 1st St.

Mr.RE
Mar 4, 2019, 8:39 PM
Between the parking passes they sell to ASU students and the parking tickets that they give to patrons of The Yard, that lot is a cash cow. It doesn't seem like they're in any rush to build the office proposal.

Did I or Did I not mention the parking garage? That structure alone would generate more than a surface level lot every would.

The only issue the development is probably facing is finding a tenant to fill it first, I doubt they would build in that location on Spec. The plans have been approved, but we will see what they make of this.

CB1
Mar 4, 2019, 11:51 PM
I don't! I wish they built the original proposal, it wouldn't have been that much taller especially with the heights of the buildings of "IDEA"

What a shame it had to be downsized. It could have been so much better. :(

CB1
Mar 5, 2019, 12:25 AM
Pretty sure that the fencing at the SWC of 1st/Wilson (if that's one of the ones to which you're referring) didn't have anything to do with a development. And it seemed like the fencing in that vacant lot nearer 1st/Priest was just staging for one of the other developments.

When I read your comment I did vaguely remember reading something about the lot at the NEC of 1st/Hardy. Googling led me to this, which is what I think I remembered reading:

https://azbigmedia.com/edu3-ventures-buys-land-near-tempe-town-lake/

That site was used for staging for Crescent Rio, but with that project wrapping up, maybe this could be the next development we see on 1st St.

Good find. At least we know there is a development in the works. It appears Nita Bonilla is the entrepreneur for EDU3 VENTURES. Then I found the article below and if it’s the same Nita Bonilla then the new company is VIAONE. I went to www.viaonecre.com but couldn’t find any news regarding this future project in Tempe.

https://azbigmedia.com/marc-and-nita-bonilla-launch-viaone-in-scottsdale/

CB1
Mar 5, 2019, 12:34 AM
Good to read on the Bizjournals today that “developers received approval for the next office building on the site, which eventually will top eight office buildings and other development.” The developments so far at the Grand have started construction right away after receiving approval.

RichTempe
Mar 5, 2019, 2:14 AM

Tempe is on fire!

Where is the Hilton on 7th? Do you mean the Westin that's supposed to go in next to The Collective?

PHXFlyer11
Mar 5, 2019, 2:17 AM
Where is the Hilton on 7th? Do you mean the Westin that's supposed to go in next to The Collective?

Yes. I couldn’t remember the brand, but Hilton did seem wrong.

RichTempe
Mar 5, 2019, 2:22 AM

I think you mean this?

https://images2.imgbox.com/7a/b1/ZV50pimU_o.jpg

Farmer Arts [Lot 2]

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=39278

It's under 'Plans Approved/Entitled' on the Tempe Development Projects site:

https://tempegov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=e2b8a9338e3948c0ab6abf93b858f508

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 1:01 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2afn53m.jpg[/IMG]

The Cameron (by Tempe Market Place)

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 1:10 AM
http://i66.tinypic.com/2565ik6.jpg[/IMG]

Broadstone Rio Salado (SE corner of Rio Salado and 101)

soled
Mar 6, 2019, 4:25 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/2565ik6.jpg[/IMG]

Broadstone Rio Salado (SE corner of Rio Salado and 101)

I can see my daughter's apt in that pic.

Carry on:)

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 5:01 PM

Tempe is on fire!

Finally some progress today at the Pier. I drive by the 202 everyday and today I saw a highrise concrete pump for the first time.

muertecaza
Mar 6, 2019, 5:29 PM
Finally some progress today at the Pier. I drive by the 202 everyday and today I saw a highrise concrete pump for the first time.

Yeah, I biked by on the lakeside and it looked like they have moved up to the second subterranean level. Still slow as dirt, but progressing.

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 6:46 PM
https://youtu.be/X-b3wYPeOtw

PHXFlyer11
Mar 6, 2019, 7:36 PM
Yeah, I biked by on the lakeside and it looked like they have moved up to the second subterranean level. Still slow as dirt, but progressing.

This is SO great! I hope it spurs more development in that area. But great win to have a high-rise on the lake and that far East.

PHXFlyer11
Mar 6, 2019, 7:42 PM
https://youtu.be/X-b3wYPeOtw

Sounds like pie in the sky still... but glad they are thinking about this. A couple years ago we were talking here and I sent the city an email about it.

We had some ideas like a pier with restaurants and rides, yoga classes, etc. That would really liven it up to have a few restaurants (not food trucks i hope) and a primary amusement attraction like a Ferris wheel or gondola. Maybe an arcade...

muertecaza
Mar 6, 2019, 8:25 PM
Lunchtime walk photos:

Dam overflow:

https://i.imgur.com/X51ENUbh.jpg

IDEA:

https://i.imgur.com/bh6eoU7h.jpg

Hardy/2nd St. Townhomes:

https://i.imgur.com/fQsYxzth.jpg

Local:

https://i.imgur.com/dvmOQGEh.jpg

Mirabella:

https://i.imgur.com/0jmjBi3h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CEGU47Uh.jpg

Canopy Hilton:

https://i.imgur.com/ktKJmTEh.jpg

Collective:

https://i.imgur.com/XnJaRYeh.jpg

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 8:56 PM
Sounds like pie in the sky still... but glad they are thinking about this. A couple years ago we were talking here and I sent the city an email about it.

We had some ideas like a pier with restaurants and rides, yoga classes, etc. That would really liven it up to have a few restaurants (not food trucks i hope) and a primary amusement attraction like a Ferris wheel or gondola. Maybe an arcade...

Fingers crossed!

CB1
Mar 6, 2019, 8:56 PM
Lunchtime walk photos:

Dam overflow:

https://i.imgur.com/X51ENUbh.jpg

IDEA:

https://i.imgur.com/bh6eoU7h.jpg

Hardy/2nd St. Townhomes:

https://i.imgur.com/fQsYxzth.jpg

Local:

https://i.imgur.com/dvmOQGEh.jpg