PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

PHXFlyer11
Apr 22, 2015, 10:37 PM
Went to downtown Tempe the other day and saw the retail space next to AMC theaters under construction and wondered what it was. Looks like a new brewery, Pedal Haus.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/dining/2015/04/22/anticipated-restaurants-opening-summer/26097425/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d8c532356b0cd7c9582afb5cfeca8f21fa462630/c=247-0-1098-640&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/Phoenix/2015/04/20/B9317004318Z.1_20150420183251_000_GCJAID9KP.1-0.jpg

This was announced I feel like almost a year ago. The rendering is very impressive. They are expanding the current small patio into what appears to be huge! It is amazing the way that area has come back. These places should be able to survive now with all the housing, offices and hotels that are being added. This keeps the area busy year-round.

I really hope to see the 7th st condo and hotel rendering shortly!

ASU Diablo
Apr 22, 2015, 10:42 PM
This was announced I feel like almost a year ago. The rendering is very impressive. They are expanding the current small patio into what appears to be huge! It is amazing the way that area has come back. These places should be able to survive now with all the housing, offices and hotels that are being added. This keeps the area busy year-round.

I really hope to see the 7th st condo and hotel rendering shortly!

Agreed. As for the rendering, are you referring to to the empty lot next to Jack in the Box?

nickw252
Apr 23, 2015, 3:19 PM
The office project at Rural and the 202 on the north side of the lake is coming along quickly. The parking garage is probably up to 4 or 5 floors and they are working on elevator cores for the office part.

Obadno
Apr 23, 2015, 4:56 PM
The office project at Rural and the 202 on the north side of the lake is coming along quickly. The parking garage is probably up to 4 or 5 floors and they are working on elevator cores for the office part.

There is a sign for a small office building at 951 Playa del Norte behind the Grigio.

I thought the under construction garage was for apartments:shrug:

ASU Diablo
Apr 23, 2015, 5:01 PM
There is a sign for a small office building at 951 Playa del Norte behind the Grigio.

I thought the under construction garage was for apartments:shrug:

No you're right, it's apartments. VELA at Town Lake.

http://www.cpexecutive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Tempe.jpg

PHXFlyer11
Apr 23, 2015, 5:40 PM

To clarify, two different projects right?

Vela is the apartments on the West side of Rural, correct?

The sign for the office building behind Grigio has been there for years. It was a 10-story proposed office with parking on the first few levels. It was approved, but never found tenants and broke ground. Is there movement?

Anyone take photos of Marriott AC progress?

DevilsRider
Apr 23, 2015, 8:38 PM
Yes, two different projects. The current construction is for Vela, as airomero and obadno indicated. No movement on the office building site east of Rural, at least not as of last weekend when I passed by there.

Nothing really happening at AC Marriott yet either. A little construction equipment and a trailer (or two, I can't recall), but no digging or anything just yet. I'll check again this weekend.

To clarify, two different projects right?

Vela is the apartments on the West side of Rural, correct?

The sign for the office building behind Grigio has been there for years. It was a 10-story proposed office with parking on the first few levels. It was approved, but never found tenants and broke ground. Is there movement?

Anyone take photos of Marriott AC progress?

Spitfiredude
Apr 23, 2015, 9:05 PM
Yes, two different projects. The current construction is for Vela, as airomero and obadno indicated. No movement on the office building site east of Rural, at least not as of last weekend when I passed by there.

Nothing really happening at AC Marriott yet either. A little construction equipment and a trailer (or two, I can't recall), but no digging or anything just yet. I'll check again this weekend.

They're currently piling on the site. They have done a lot of site work. Its in full swing. SALT is starting on the fourth floor. The building is low, but its nice to see a continuous slew of buildings along the lake. As someone else said, if the market dictates in 15-25 years, the complex could be demolished for high rise. Knowing the FAA the height restriction will probably be 100' at that point haha

DBTFMRD
Apr 23, 2015, 10:57 PM
What is the status with development east of Tempe Marketplace?

I know hotels we're being planned, was there ever any renderings/confirmed builders?

Also, I remember years ago there was talk of putting a Sams Club on the empty pad in the east section of the marketplace (North of Dannys). In fact, its still on the Tempe Marketplace website. Is this still something that is going to happen?

Obadno
Apr 23, 2015, 11:41 PM
What is the status with development east of Tempe Marketplace?

I know hotels we're being planned, was there ever any renderings/confirmed builders?

Also, I remember years ago there was talk of putting a Sams Club on the empty pad in the east section of the marketplace (North of Dannys). In fact, its still on the Tempe Marketplace website. Is this still something that is going to happen?

That project reminds me of the Papago development at Priest and Washington.

Very ambitious suburban-ish office and hotel complex. It will probably take years and years before build out (unless the economy has some crazy boom soon)

Maybe in 7-10 years we will see a couple 3-5 story office buildings some Marriott's and Holiday inns and maybe an apartment complex+ a couple restaurant pads.

Its an odd spot stuck between a mall, 2 highways and a river, I guess suburban office park is better than gravel mine, and not much more can be expected of it.

Butta
Apr 25, 2015, 5:44 PM
That project reminds me of the Papago development at Priest and Washington.

Very ambitious suburban-ish office and hotel complex. It will probably take years and years before build out (unless the economy has some crazy boom soon)

Maybe in 7-10 years we will see a couple 3-5 story office buildings some Marriott's and Holiday inns and maybe an apartment complex+ a couple restaurant pads.

Its an odd spot stuck between a mall, 2 highways and a river, I guess suburban office park is better than gravel mine, and not much more can be expected of it.

There's been heavy equipment work going on here for the past 6 months, it's getting close to be ready for build out. If I remember correctly, this place was a quarry so they had to do some major leveling and utility work. I actually think we should start seeing construction this winter.

Jjs5056
Apr 26, 2015, 7:47 PM
There are renderings for the 2 hotels planned east of TMP, but they were really very suburban and generic, so not worth the effort. The 2 brands were attached to the project; I want to say a Quality Inn and a Marriott Courtyard?

azsunsurfer
Apr 27, 2015, 3:50 PM
So I noticed on an upcoming agenda item that McClintock Station is back. I was confused because I thought it was approved by Planning and the City Council? Maybe I was wrong?

It looks like they are increasing the number of units and adding retail. Not sure how this will result in a new design/ added height? Anyone know of what's going on?

Obadno
Apr 27, 2015, 4:02 PM
Looks like the Grande at Papago is actually moving along, just drove past it, lots of earth moving going on, Ill try to snap some shitty cell phone pictures when I can.

Liberty Center also looks like its close to full Build out.

The new damn on Tempe town lake is pretty enormous and looks like it will extend the lake by about 100 feet.

At Fountainhead the Residences are making painfully slow progress, they seem to be stuck at "nearly finished" for long long time.

The rest of the park has singe and fencing for upcoming office construction but I haven't seen any progress for some time.

And the corner of 55th/University retail development is fenced and some movement is taking place.

azsunsurfer
Apr 27, 2015, 5:25 PM
I drive by the residences at Fountainhead every morning on the 10 and they are making fairly fast progress..

They are building the last two buildings facing the office project (that looks like construction is starting soon??) and I am sure they will be open for leasing in another month or two.

Obadno
Apr 27, 2015, 5:27 PM
I drive by the residences at Fountainhead every morning on the 10 and they are making fairly fast progress..

They are building the last two buildings facing the office project (that looks like construction is starting soon??) and I am sure they will be open for leasing in another month or two.

Really? I work in fountainhead and I haven't seen any notable progress in nearly 2 months.

azsunsurfer
Apr 27, 2015, 5:29 PM
The last two buildings have gone up in about the last month or so.

Obadno
Apr 27, 2015, 6:03 PM

I think you are mistaken I walk past it literally every day.

Obadno
Apr 27, 2015, 6:04 PM

Also this project, It looks like a few elevator cores are now up along with the parking garage.

TakeFive
Apr 27, 2015, 8:31 PM

Really? I work in fountainhead and I haven't seen any notable progress in nearly 2 months.

I think you are mistaken I walk past it literally every day.

www.tumblr.comhttps://33.media.tumblr.com/afc752bd0315796289fc208d901dfa79/tumblr_nifhvawMSY1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Obadno
Apr 28, 2015, 9:10 PM
www.tumblr.comhttps://33.media.tumblr.com/afc752bd0315796289fc208d901dfa79/tumblr_nifhvawMSY1tq4of6o1_500.gif

I don't know what to say, I think its making painfully slow progress, he thinks its coming along quick.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

azsunsurfer
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 PM
Love you Obadno!

RichTempe
Apr 30, 2015, 1:57 AM
I don't know what to say, I think its making painfully slow progress, he thinks its coming along quick.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

I also work at Fountainhead and think progress on The Residences seems a little slow, although that could be because I see it everyday so you don't notice the changes as much as someone who only sees it every so often. Anyway, here are a couple of cell phone pics I took today from the 55th St. side by the lake.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/538/2bBMjO.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/537/iBe6nk.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/537/aySJFj.jpg

combusean
Apr 30, 2015, 2:50 AM
Is there some huge market for apartments sitting in the middle of corporate sprawl that are far away from residential services (44th St and Van Buren is another) that I have no idea about?

MegaBass
Apr 30, 2015, 3:28 AM
After 21 years, Pita Jungle’s original location on Apache moving to downtown Tempe (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2015/04/28/after-21-years-pita-jungles-original-location-on-apache-moving-to-downtown-tempe/)

The new Tempe location, on the northeast corner of Mill and University, formerly was home to Firehouse, which closed last summer.

Pita Jungle more or less has outgrown its current Tempe location on Apache, halfway between McClintock and Rural. The new space is larger.

The move is planned for late June.

Pita Jungle offers Mediterranean-inspired menu of “healthy burgers,” wood-fired pizzas, salads, and Mediterranean entrees. And, of course, its namesake pitas.

Bassel Osmani, Fouad Khodr, and Nelly Kohsok met while they were graduate students at ASU, and opened the original location in 1994, a time when there were few vegetarian or healthy options in the area.

In the two decades since, the restaurant, whose headquarters now are based in Scottsdale, has grown to 17 locations in Arizona and a couple in California.

Jjs5056
Apr 30, 2015, 4:23 PM
Is there some huge market for apartments sitting in the middle of corporate sprawl that are far away from residential services (44th St and Van Buren is another) that I have no idea about?

I agree that the 44th/VB location is a bit confusing, but I think that entire area is incredibly underrated and has so much potential with light rail, Papago Park, DBG, Zoo, Sky Harbor, Pueblo Grande, Tovrea, ASU Baseball, etc. all in the vicinity. It's also at the point where Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe converge so it makes travel pretty convenient.

I actually think what's happened at Fountainhead is great, though. I-10 frontage will always attract commercial sprawl, but rather than massive parking lots and 1-story buildings, they've built taller and turned the surrounding acres into actual mixed use development with residential and retail on-site. Fountainhead was going to be there regardless, so I'm glad it was built in as "urban" and sustainable way as possible. Priest/Broadway isn't far from the center of Tempe, and there are plenty of residential properties and services/retail nearby.

The biggest issue I see regarding these projects is how they continue to prove that Tempe's streetcar plans are a complete waste. Creating mass transit lines to either/both of those areas would have been a much better strategy that would provide access to new residents and connect new destinations, as opposed to the streetcar whose route is essentially redundant with the initial LRT line and Orbitz bus system. A line to Fountainhead would've provided a building block toward eventually connecting the Civic Plaza on Rural/Southern (with a potential link to BRT along Rural); and, a line to Papago would've made connections to Scottsdale and/or SkySong possible.

azsunsurfer
Apr 30, 2015, 7:56 PM
I agree that the 44th/VB location is a bit confusing, but I think that entire area is incredibly underrated and has so much potential with light rail, Papago Park, DBG, Zoo, Sky Harbor, Pueblo Grande, Tovrea, ASU Baseball, etc. all in the vicinity. It's also at the point where Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe converge so it makes travel pretty convenient.

I actually think what's happened at Fountainhead is great, though. I-10 frontage will always attract commercial sprawl, but rather than massive parking lots and 1-story buildings, they've built taller and turned the surrounding acres into actual mixed use development with residential and retail on-site. Fountainhead was going to be there regardless, so I'm glad it was built in as "urban" and sustainable way as possible. Priest/Broadway isn't far from the center of Tempe, and there are plenty of residential properties and services/retail nearby.

The biggest issue I see regarding these projects is how they continue to prove that Tempe's streetcar plans are a complete waste. Creating mass transit lines to either/both of those areas would have been a much better strategy that would provide access to new residents and connect new destinations, as opposed to the streetcar whose route is essentially redundant with the initial LRT line and Orbitz bus system. A line to Fountainhead would've provided a building block toward eventually connecting the Civic Plaza on Rural/Southern (with a potential link to BRT along Rural); and, a line to Papago would've made connections to Scottsdale and/or SkySong possible.

I actually agree with JJ (hell freezing over?) A landlock city like Tempe needs to look at creative ways of building housing when and where they can. Part of the reason why their zoning has allowed other uses (like C-2 and C-3?) residential uses. I know I've seen this done in other markets with high density houses situated again corporate "sprawl." People will want to live close to where they work as well.

Obadno
Apr 30, 2015, 8:00 PM

Fountainhead isn't...that isolated. There is a low-middle income neighborhood just to the south of the complex and retail within ....driving distance. I bet there demographic would be people that sacrifice proximity for amenities/quality at a more affordable price. (unless you work near Alameda and priest which many people do)

Leo the Dog
May 1, 2015, 1:03 AM

Freeway access? Perfect for commuters-airport.

Obadno
May 1, 2015, 6:53 PM
Freeway access? Perfect for commuters-airport.

And at fountainhead there is actually a Mark Taylor development across the street, it isn't as isolated as you think.

nickw252
May 1, 2015, 8:19 PM

I also wouldn't call these locations "sprawl." They are all pretty centrally located, it's just that the office projects have a suburban design. I think it's good to mix housing in with these office developments, especially when the housing is somewhat urban (i.e. 44th and Washington).

PHXFlyer11
May 1, 2015, 8:43 PM
Apparently Revo has closed. Too bad, that was a huge restaurant in the transit center. It was packed game days, but probably not the rest of the time. I saw a sign on the door saying they'd be closed for the next few days when I was running Pat's Run. I knew it wasn't a good sign. Apparently a Fractured Prune opened up though on College.

DevilsRider
May 1, 2015, 9:21 PM
Apparently Revo has closed. Too bad, that was a huge restaurant in the transit center. It was packed game days, but probably not the rest of the time. I saw a sign on the door saying they'd be closed for the next few days when I was running Pat's Run. I knew it wasn't a good sign. Apparently a Fractured Prune opened up though on College.

Revo had pretty good food, but I think the writing was on the wall with their service. Even on slower days, service was pretty terrible. One day, the small group I was with walked out because it took 5 minutes to get a menu and then we didn't see a waiter or waitress at all for 15 minutes (not even to bring water or get drink orders)!

Hopefully they'll be able to replace it with a better-run restaurant. The tea place next door seems pretty cool too. And yes, Fractured Prune opened up in University House, right across the way from Postino. Between that and their CityScape location, they've got a couple nice rail-friendly locations!

Jjs5056
May 1, 2015, 9:48 PM
Ugh, that's a shame. That entire part of downtown had really transformed from a ghost town to a nice, active connection between Mill Ave and ASU. I am sure it still struggles to get foot traffic - it's too bad the hotel hasn't seemed to add much and its retail space was really the only gap... University House isn't 100% occupied, but has a decent mix of restaurants. I don't have a good feeling that the cafe will survive on its own, or that the Revo space will get filled quickly...it took 7 years to get leased originally.

I liked that RevoBar brought a different kind of dining option to the College area, since it seems so dominated by fast-casual places. Hopefully, when ASU is able to build retail adjacent to the event canopy and as UH fills in, the variety of retail will improve.

Really wish they'd redevelop the University Towers.

PHXFlyer11
May 1, 2015, 9:53 PM
Ugh, that's a shame. That entire part of downtown had really transformed from a ghost town to a nice, active connection between Mill Ave and ASU. I am sure it still struggles to get foot traffic - it's too bad the hotel hasn't seemed to add much and its retail space was really the only gap... University House isn't 100% occupied, but has a decent mix of restaurants. I don't have a good feeling that the cafe will survive on its own, or that the Revo space will get filled quickly...it took 7 years to get leased originally.

I liked that RevoBar brought a different kind of dining option to the College area, since it seems so dominated by fast-casual places. Hopefully, when ASU is able to build retail adjacent to the event canopy and as UH fills in, the variety of retail will improve.

Really wish they'd redevelop the University Towers.

Several hundred more students will be living right there in a few months when the second tower of UH opens. I agree University Towers was once one of our only "towers" in Tempe, now it's a huge eyesore.

Jjs5056
May 1, 2015, 11:17 PM
Several hundred more students will be living right there in a few months when the second tower of UH opens. I agree University Towers was once one of our only "towers" in Tempe, now it's a huge eyesore.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Downtown Tempe has exploded with growth, but the majority of projects have been student housing. Retailers are going to be faced with serving a larger peak population from Aug-May with little change to the off-peak population during the summer.

More condos/market rate projects are needed in the area, especially near College, for existing businesses to survive and to attract a variety of retail that isn't just fast-casual joints and Scottsdale bar "branches." Hanover will be a great start, but aside from a couple of townhome projects, nothing else seems to be in the works. ASU is a major reason Tempe is as vibrant as it is, but with all of the corporate investment, it could really be a more diverse downtown.

University Towers is not only hideous, but also completely out-of-place with its suburban design. The newer projects are built right to the street, and the large lawn/landscaping breaks that momentum/energy.

DevilsRider
May 2, 2015, 12:47 AM
Agreed. But unfortunately, it's probably not going anywhere. They're converting it from upper-classmen to a school of engineering freshman community, and it's not slated for redevelopment in the campus master plan. Would love to see it redeveloped though, between it and its parking garage, that's some PRIME real estate!

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Downtown Tempe has exploded with growth, but the majority of projects have been student housing. Retailers are going to be faced with serving a larger peak population from Aug-May with little change to the off-peak population during the summer.

More condos/market rate projects are needed in the area, especially near College, for existing businesses to survive and to attract a variety of retail that isn't just fast-casual joints and Scottsdale bar "branches." Hanover will be a great start, but aside from a couple of townhome projects, nothing else seems to be in the works. ASU is a major reason Tempe is as vibrant as it is, but with all of the corporate investment, it could really be a more diverse downtown.

University Towers is not only hideous, but also completely out-of-place with its suburban design. The newer projects are built right to the street, and the large lawn/landscaping breaks that momentum/energy.

DevilsRider
May 3, 2015, 9:45 PM
There was a banner (and a guy waving a sign) saying the Residences at Fountainhead are now open. Clearly some of them still have quite a bit of work to do, but looks like some of them are good to go.

Jjs5056
May 4, 2015, 3:04 AM
Agreed. But unfortunately, it's probably not going anywhere. They're converting it from upper-classmen to a school of engineering freshman community, and it's not slated for redevelopment in the campus master plan. Would love to see it redeveloped though, between it and its parking garage, that's some PRIME real estate!

Ugh, that's unfortunate - freshman having the lowest disposable income of all students... but, yes, I forgot about the garage, which is definitely a bigger problem, as it creates a huge block of dead space on Forest and 6th. Luckily, it was built with a pretty sizeable setback; it'd be great to see the ground level of the Towers converted back to retail with the lawn space used as large patios, and for the garage to be wrapped in either retail, or walk-up residential units (either upper classmen dorms, or maybe ASU could sell the garage off to a private party who could develop market rate apartments or townhomes).

That part of downtown is really going to be what determines whether or not there is a downtown Tempe beyond Mill Ave. Right now, it's essentially just an extension of ASU, but there are still so many empty lots and scattered cheap buildings perfect for redevelopment. I hope the momentum continues in that area now that Block 12, University House, the Annex, etc. are all complete.

LocoPhoenician
May 4, 2015, 5:20 AM

Also, it looks like Hooters closed as well. Hopefully a better place can fill the space since 5th and Mill is a major area.

azsunsurfer
May 4, 2015, 2:16 PM
Not sure if this has been made public yet? Kimpton has pulled out of Mill + Rio. The project is still going forward but supposedly with a new hotel opeartor. I hope they make an annoucement soon, Omni?

ASUSunDevil
May 4, 2015, 5:11 PM
Not sure if this has been made public yet? Kimpton has pulled out of Mill + Rio. The project is still going forward but supposedly with a new hotel opeartor. I hope they make an annoucement soon, Omni?

Omni would make sense. Tempe Council is voting this Thursday on final approval for the Monti's development.

Obadno
May 4, 2015, 5:22 PM
Also, it looks like Hooters closed as well. Hopefully a better place can fill the space since 5th and Mill is a major area.
Wow im surprised by that, but hooters seems like a dying brand in general.

dtnphx
May 4, 2015, 10:26 PM
:cheers: Their cup size has diminished among breasturants over the past several years.

PHXFlyer11
May 5, 2015, 2:54 PM
:cheers: They're cup size has diminished among breasturants over the past several years.

*Their

Go you gotta stick the landing!

PHXFlyer11
May 5, 2015, 2:55 PM

That really sucks. I really hope this truly doesn't delay the project.

PHXFlyer11
May 7, 2015, 1:53 AM
On the upcoming DRC Agendas:

5/12

1) McClintock Station - 423 Apartments, 4 Stories
http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32796

I think this was proposed some time ago, but must have had issues, as it is back on the agenda over a year later.

5/26 - All of these have been previously discussed thanks to posting by a couple of members

Bad News:

1) Southbank Lot 1 - 273 Apartments, 5 Stories, 69ft

2) Southbank Lot 2- 272 Apartments, 6 Stories, 84ft

Good News:

3) Mixed-Use, Hotel, Retail, Restaurants, 447 apartments
3 towers with a maximum height of 240 feet!!!!

I really hope #3 Pans out! Really would give West Sixth some company in the skyline!

PHXFlyer11
May 7, 2015, 2:05 AM
On the upcoming DRC Agendas:

5/12

1) McClintock Station - 423 Apartments, 4 Stories
http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32796

I think this was proposed some time ago, but must have had issues, as it is back on the agenda over a year later.

5/26 - All of these have been previously discussed thanks to posting by a couple of members

Bad News:

1) Southbank Lot 1 - 273 Apartments, 5 Stories, 69ft

2) Southbank Lot 2- 272 Apartments, 6 Stories, 84ft

Good News:

I really hope #3 Pans out! Really would give West Sixth some company in the skyline!

Just for reference:

W6 Tower 2 - 345 ft
W6 Tower 1 - 258 ft
HLF II - 194 ft (I have trouble believing it's this tall)
University House - 193 ft
Proposed Mill + Rio - 190 ft

Not sure the max height of Marina Heights.

Source: http://www.emporis.com/statistics/tallest-buildings/city/101566/tempe-az-usa

DevilsRider
May 7, 2015, 3:24 PM
I think we've talked about the 7th St Mixed Use project a couple pages ago (bounded by University, Myrtle, 7th, and Forest). This would be fantastic to see actually happen. The southbank news is, once again, very disappointing. Last time around, it was two 4-story apartment buildings that got rejected. I find it hard to believe that a 5-story and 6-story building will fare much better. Then again, they let SALT go in between HFL and Marina Heights, so who even knows at this point.

It's hard for me to get that excited about McClintock Station. Yeah, it adds good density and replaces a trailer park, but it's such a Mark Taylor suburban-style apartment complex. Ah, well, it's such an odd shaped lot that something like this was bound to happen.

And I think the reason it stalled last time was Council and community concerns about affordability and where the current residents are going to go. Perhaps they've resolved all that somehow.

Also, I do think HFL 2 really is that tall, though it definitely looks much shorter because of the way Mill Ave elevates coming over the lake from Rio Salado Pkwy. I think the tallest in Marina Heights was supposed to be somewhere between 220 and 240, but I don't remember the exact number.

Just for reference:

W6 Tower 2 - 345 ft
W6 Tower 1 - 258 ft
HLF II - 194 ft (I have trouble believing it's this tall)
University House - 193 ft
Proposed Mill + Rio - 190 ft

Not sure the max height of Marina Heights.

Source: http://www.emporis.com/statistics/tallest-buildings/city/101566/tempe-az-usa

PHXFlyer11
May 7, 2015, 4:07 PM
I think we've talked about the 7th St Mixed Use project a couple pages ago (bounded by University, Myrtle, 7th, and Forest). This would be fantastic to see actually happen. The southbank news is, once again, very disappointing. Last time around, it was two 4-story apartment buildings that got rejected. I find it hard to believe that a 5-story and 6-story building will fare much better. Then again, they let SALT go in between HFL and Marina Heights, so who even knows at this point.

It's hard for me to get that excited about McClintock Station. Yeah, it adds good density and replaces a trailer park, but it's such a Mark Taylor suburban-style apartment complex. Ah, well, it's such an odd shaped lot that something like this was bound to happen.

And I think the reason it stalled last time was Council and community concerns about affordability and where the current residents are going to go. Perhaps they've resolved all that somehow.

Also, I do think HFL 2 really is that tall, though it definitely looks much shorter because of the way Mill Ave elevates coming over the lake from Rio Salado Pkwy. I think the tallest in Marina Heights was supposed to be somewhere between 220 and 240, but I don't remember the exact number.

Yes, I couldn't remember who was the one that actually went and took pictures of the signs. I don't think we knew the height would be 240! Although SilverFox said we'd LOVE the project. I really hope it's not phased.

I really hope Tempe sticks to their guns and doesn't allow 5/6 stories just because the TRENDEX project failed.

What's surprising is that HFL 2 is 12 stories, but really that tall, while the proposed Mill + Rio is supposed to be 15 stories and 190 feet, and UH is 193 ft but 17 stories.

Jjs5056
May 7, 2015, 5:23 PM
240' sounds about right given that we knew it was 400+ apartments. I am sure there are 2 towers planned (1 for the hotel and 1 for the apartments), so it'll be interesting to see what the shorter of the two tops out at.

I'm not too optimistic about the project being completed - at least in full. I am skeptical of any project with a hotel component at this point; we already know Kimpton pulled out of Rio+Mill and haven't heard a replacement named, and it just feels all too familiar to the last boom. I just don't see what is driving the demand for 4 more hotels (here, Mill+Rio, Hayden Flour Mill, University/Rural) in addition to the AC Marriott, Marriott Residence Inn, and Graduate Hotel. I'd love to see it happen, because brands like Kimpton and Omni would go a long way toward diversifying downtown's demographics and, thus, retail mix. It seems like each time Tempe is about to make the jump, reality slams on the brakes.

400+ apartments, however, I could see happening and hope it is marketed toward professionals like Hanover. That's exactly what downtown needs - height and density - in residential projects.

Lastly, I think the SouthBank proposals will be approved easily. The issue wasn't simply the height of the original buildings, but that they also had a very generic suburban design, and lacked any sort of mixed use element. The latter has already been directly addressed with the inclusion of retail in both buildings, and live/work spaces in 1. Given that there are 3 apartment projects under construction/in planning on the lake that are less than the 6 stories they are proposing (Jefferson, VELA, SALT), I can't see the justification for denying them this time. At least the added commercial space gives a little bit of hope that the entire development will engage with the lake/public.

ASU Diablo
May 8, 2015, 2:27 PM
Looks like Rio+Salado got the final nod from the City of Tempe and is scheduled to break ground by end of year. It is now known as One Hundred Mill and love the updated rendering including rooftop lounge and pool. No hotel brand as of yet but will be 4-star boutique

Tempe approves twin towers project on former Monti's site
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/05/07/tempe-approves-twin-towers-project-on-former.html

Although final preservation plans for restoration of the historic Monti’s La Casa Vieja is not part of this action, the development team is fully committed to a restoration of the Hayden House.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/5mNkvb.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/908/48KrJH.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/537/O0tPwR.jpg

PHXFlyer11
May 8, 2015, 2:41 PM
Looks like Rio+Salado got the final nod from the City of Tempe and is scheduled to break ground by end of year. It is now known as One Hundred Mill and love the updated rendering including rooftop lounge and pool. No hotel brand as of yet but will be 4-star boutique

Tempe approves twin towers project on former Monti's site
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/05/07/tempe-approves-twin-towers-project-on-former.html

This is going to be so awesome with AC now underway, HFL 3 nearing completion and the upcoming Hayden Flour Mill hotel/reataurant/amphitheater

nickw252
May 8, 2015, 2:58 PM
Driving into Tempe on Mill or riding in on the light rail over the lake is going to be very impressive.

TakeFive
May 8, 2015, 7:16 PM
This is going to be so awesome with AC now underway...

Tempe is getting an AC before Denver though being first is not unusual given this area's population and tourism base. For example, Denver's 1st Hotel Indigo just broke ground recently, an AC supposedly this summer.

I would have thought for a "lifestyle" brand that a Moxy Hotel (http://moxy-hotels.marriott.com/) might fit Tempe better but I suppose its largely six a one... and the AC was brought over from Europe earlier.

Butta
May 10, 2015, 12:14 AM
Wow im surprised by that, but hooters seems like a dying brand in general.

Maybe a Tilted Kilt can open there, that would be sweet.

Jjs5056
May 11, 2015, 5:51 AM
Per the latest City Council notes, preferred track alignment for the Mill Ave segment of the streetcar has been given. Once again - as they did for the Apache segment - they've chosen a mixed traffic model; the streetcar will operate in the northbound travel lane with buses, cars, and other vehicles.

Yes, there were some concerning consequences of using a dedicated curbside lane, such as tree removal and the elimination of east-side street parking; however, this just says to me that Mill Ave was clearly a poor choice for the northbound section of the route.

Dedicated ROW along Apache and Mill wouldn't have made the streetcar any less redundant or unnecessary, but it would at least retain potential for decent ridership as the speed and reliability of the system would outperform the alternatives (biking, walking, light rail). With mixed traffic along the entire route, I don't see why anyone would ever choose to use this for travel, aside from it being a free ride home for drunken students on Mill. Otherwise, the route covers an area that is easily accessible by light rail, bus, walking, biking, or some combination of the 4. And, all but bus have consistent and predictable travel times, making the streetcar an unnecessary risk for commuters, event-goers, etc.

Obadno
May 11, 2015, 10:21 PM

Ware the hell is this going to go
:cheers:

PHXFlyer11
May 11, 2015, 10:44 PM
Ware the hell is this going to go
:cheers:

Scroll back a bit, we've been discussing this one bound by University/7th St for awhile. No renderings posted quite yet, but that will change here in two weeks when it's in front of the DRC.

Also worth mentioning, this one here has been proposed since atleast 2009. It looks like the developer is asking for another extension for the 20-story building until Dec, 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww2.tempe.gov%2Fpublicbodies%2FDocs%2FDevelopmentReviewCommission%2FSupportingDocuments%2FDRCr_707SFOREST_060909.pdf&ei=Ri5RVa6tHI_uoAS8i4DwBw&usg=AFQjCNHe_X1M4jJOM8a3MUG4Jf_obs5R1A&sig2=Fwzfim0o3g8ae6fLPBKHLA&bvm=bv.93112503,d.cGU

PHXFlyer11
May 12, 2015, 12:22 AM
It looks like the Study Session agenda for tomorrow night has been modified to include a presentation on this project. I think that will be the first time renderings will be shared.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32855

Jjs5056
May 13, 2015, 4:22 AM
I missed the reference to "3 towers" in the original post - will be interesting to see the site plan. I assume the hotel will be the tallest, as it has to be the apartments that are being split into 2 towers.

For reference, this is the old University Square site, and it'll be interesting how close/different this new proposal is. I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant conference center component to the hotel.

I hope the design is a little scaled back, though, as University Square was really a beast of a project in that area. I also think retail is important along 7th Street (to keep the connection between College and Mill moving forward) and University. I hope the hotel entrance and garage ramps are located on one of the north-south streets.

PHXFlyer11
May 13, 2015, 4:41 AM
I missed the reference to "3 towers" in the original post - will be interesting to see the site plan. I assume the hotel will be the tallest, as it has to be the apartments that are being split into 2 towers.

For reference, this is the old University Square site, and it'll be interesting how close/different this new proposal is. I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant conference center component to the hotel.

I hope the design is a little scaled back, though, as University Square was really a beast of a project in that area. I also think retail is important along 7th Street (to keep the connection between College and Mill moving forward) and University. I hope the hotel entrance and garage ramps are located on one of the north-south streets.

Something is not adding up for me. The project we've been discussing is "7TH STREET MIXED USE". This is on the DRC agenda under that name, the same name Wexford refers to on their web site: http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/tempe-7th-street/

However the address on the Tempe DRC is in fact a University address. You can see from the Wexford site that the lot they highlight is much smaller and doesn't touch University.

I am completely confused now! These must be two different project after all?

DevilsRider
May 13, 2015, 2:50 PM
Something is not adding up for me. The project we've been discussing is "7TH STREET MIXED USE". This is on the DRC agenda under that name, the same name Wexford refers to on their web site: http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/tempe-7th-street/

However the address on the Tempe DRC is in fact a University address. You can see from the Wexford site that the lot they highlight is much smaller and doesn't touch University.

I am completely confused now! These must be two different project after all?

Yep, two different projects! 7th Street Mixed Use (on the DRC agenda) is big square between University, 7th St, Forest, and Maple.

Tempe 7th Street is the Wexford one you link to, which is on 7th St between Myrtle and Mill (to the west of 7th Street Mixed Use). Got to love the confusion! :)

PHXFlyer11
May 13, 2015, 3:07 PM
Yep, two different projects! 7th Street Mixed Use (on the DRC agenda) is big square between University, 7th St, Forest, and Maple.

Tempe 7th Street is the Wexford one you link to, which is on 7th St between Myrtle and Mill (to the west of 7th Street Mixed Use). Got to love the confusion! :)

Thanks! Well, in this case the confusion is a good thing! Looks like the Wexford development is further off, but they do great work. So maybe we'll see four new towers on 7th! But then, I'm just probably getting greedy now...

PHXFlyer11
May 13, 2015, 3:12 PM
I was thinking today we should be seeing the proposal for the ASU Athletic District soon. I did some brainstorming on what I thought would work, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind, this should all be designed in mixed-use with ground-level retail/amenities, offices, hotel, residences above.

I believe the center of The District should be focused at the intersection to Rio Salado and University, to ensure that an urban environment is created. All four corners are available for development as part of the district, so each would enhance each other and bring density.

There is a district advantage based on location. You are really at the heart of Spring Training facilities in Tempe and Mesa, as well as ASU Athletic Facilities as well as the Lake. This makes the location of the district very attractive and it should be marketed as such.

Athletic Facilities

New ASU Basketball Arena (potentially with USA Basketball, but probably wishful thinking) – SW corner of Rio and University
New ASU Swimming/Diving facility
Exclusive Membership Alumni Bar/Restaurant on lake

Amenities

Arizona Sports Hall of Fame
Cactus League Museum / MLB West HOF
Top Golf Driving Range
Sports Cutters
Lifetime / Upscale gym
Massage / Tan
Sports Doctors
Sports training (some of the best in the country are in Phoenix/tempe)
Yoga Studio
Dance School

Restaurants

Move the Buffalo Wild Wings
Majerle’s on the Lake
ESPN Zone (if they even have those anymore) / Hard Rock

Retail

Finishline / Footlocker, etc.
Dicks / Cabella’s (w/Urban design)

Hotel

Top tier hotel tower
Marriot/Hilton OR HardRock (probably a stretch)

Offices

MLB West HQ / Cactus League Office
SABR HQ – Society for American Baseball Research (unfortunately they just committed to downtown PHX)
USA Basketball Offices (that ship has probably sailed)
ANY sports related business HQs (Sports Authority, Dick’s, Louisville Slugger, Topps)
Fox Sports Arizona HQ and outdoor studio
HQ of The Joint (National chiropractic chain)
Office tower for Avnet (largest company based in Arizona)
Sports Incubator
Tech Incubator
Video Game developer
Shared work space
Sports Agents

Residential

High End Condo Tower
High End Apartment Tower
Student Athlete Housing

Just some ideas. Feel free to add/discuss. I hope the proposal considers all of these types of business/amenities in addition to just facilities.

TakeFive
May 13, 2015, 5:28 PM
PHXFlyer11... Wow, impressive effort, that (can't wait to see how close you are :)).

MegaBass
May 14, 2015, 4:06 AM
Cactus League Museum / MLB West HOF

Sloan Park/ Cubs’ spring-training complex is in contention for the Cactus League Museum (http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20131101baseball-museum-seeking-home.html?nclick_check=1)

ESPN Zone (if they even have those anymore) / Hard Rock

They closed five ESPN Zone (NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, D.C. and Vegas) locations in 2010 leaving only the Anaheim and Los Angeles.

MegaBass
May 16, 2015, 5:12 AM
New Corner Bakery to open at Tempe Gateway (https://azbigmedia.com/tag/mill-avenue-restaurants)
Cushman & Wakefield of Arizona is delivering a new Corner Bakery to Tempe Gateway, 222 S. Mill Ave.

The 4,777-square-foot café/deli/bakery joins tenants that include Limelight Networks, Allstate, Waste Management, and Amazon at Tempe Gateway, which is now 99-percent occupied.

Summer Jackson of C&W’s retail group represented the landlord, Parkway Properties Inc., in the long-term lease transaction. Richard Francis of HeinzRich Companies LLC represented the tenant. Jerry Noble, Greg Mayer and Patrick Devine of C&W’s office group represent the landlord in leasing the office space at the property.

“We are very excited to announce the addition of Corner Bakery,” said Jackson, associate director at Cushman & Wakefield. “They will be an excellent amenity to the project and surrounding office complexes.”

Corner Bakery will occupy the northern end-cap of the retail space that fronts Mill Avenue. Plans call for a large patio to the north and east sides of the space. Corner Bakery offers freshly baked breads, a breakfast menu, homemade soups, pasta, salads, sandwiches as well as coffee and espresso.

Cushman & Wakefield has two additional retail spaces for lease at Tempe Gateway, 1,614 SF and 1,805 SF. Occupancy date of Corner Bakery is Oct. 1.

Butta
May 17, 2015, 4:00 PM
New Corner Bakery to open at Tempe Gateway (https://azbigmedia.com/tag/mill-avenue-restaurants)

Cool, hopefully they get enough business, that end of Mill is mostly dead, maybe with the State Farm completion this area will get busy.

PHXFlyer11
May 17, 2015, 4:23 PM
Cool, hopefully they get enough business, that end of Mill is mostly dead, maybe with the State Farm completion this area will get busy.

Not for long! HFL3 seems to be wrapping up and the 100 Mill towers should break ground soon. Plus, I expect to see the Hayden Mill project begin. I also almost forgot about the Marriott AC.

If it can make it a year or so things will really pick up and that will be one of the hottest areas in Tempe!

rocksteady
May 19, 2015, 6:50 PM
Just flew in to town for the first time in over a year....what is that giant hideous new parking garage on the north side of the lake?!!!!! What is that going to be for? What a waste of prime land.

On a side note, Marina Heights looks great! When I left last year they had just broken ground on the first floor. And flying over Tempe looked great with all the midrise apartments.

PHXFlyer11
May 19, 2015, 7:21 PM
Just flew in to town for the first time in over a year....what is that giant hideous new parking garage on the north side of the lake?!!!!! What is that going to be for? What a waste of prime land.

Relax, it's actually going to be wrapped and be a terrific project: http://www.cpexecutive.com/tag/vela-at-town-lake

azsunsurfer
May 19, 2015, 8:00 PM

On a side note, Marina Heights looks great! When I left last year they had just broken ground on the first floor. And flying over Tempe looked great with all the midrise apartments.

Where have you been? Living under a rock? (no pun intended).

Obadno
May 19, 2015, 8:40 PM

Its very obviously apartments under construction.....

Jjs5056
May 19, 2015, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about Corner Bakery surviving. The retail component of the Gateway building has filled out quite nicely - as the article mentions, only 2 spaces remain. Additionally, Corner Bakery has a built-in market with the thousands of workers who have offices upstairs. I am sure it will become a hot lunch spot for those offices, as well as HFL if the retail there doesn't fill in.

The northern entrance to Mill will be really interesting to see in a few years once everything has settled. I'm confident enough in the Marriott AC and the One Hundred Mill projects; but, a bit skeptical on the Hayden Flour Mill project, which I think might be the most significant of them all. I hope the plaza space connecting One Hundred Mill with the lake and light rail stop at 3rd/Mill becomes an active gathering space with vendors, etc. I do hope some projects like the ones thrown around for the Mill/7th area happen and bring market rate or condos to the southern part of downtown - right now, it's kind of segmenting into a more corporate area along the lake, and a casual/college-friendly vibe toward University. It'll be great when the two begin to mix and then spread to the east and west.

PHXFlyer11
May 19, 2015, 10:36 PM
I do hope some projects like the ones thrown around for the Mill/7th area happen and bring market rate or condos to the southern part of downtown - right now, it's kind of segmenting into a more corporate area along the lake, and a casual/college-friendly vibe toward University. It'll be great when the two begin to mix and then spread to the east and west.

They have been keeping this very close to the vest. It looks like the DRC got a preview of the project in their study session last week, but no link to the file. It is up for review next Tuesday, so we should see the file posted any day now. I keep looking. I can't wait to see this one!

Jjs5056
May 19, 2015, 11:33 PM
PHXFlyer11- thanks for sharing your ideas on the Stadium District. :) A few scattered thoughts:

I think that no matter how hard both entities try to sell this as a cooperation between ASU and Tempe, the final product is going to be one that provides the greatest revenue for ASU in the end. Unfortunately, Tempe's land use decisions beyond downtown (see: TMP) and ASU's own "sustainable/urban" development projects (see: ASU Downtown) give me little faith that this district will serve as an expansion of the City's core and as a way for the campus to integrate itself further within the city limits.

I think the problem for me that is that I still don't quite understand the goal of this District necessarily, aside from developing land that will be attractive to tenants for the tax-breaks given to ASU. It could very well be a large, midrise, suburban-style development (i.e., ASU Research Park) filled with a variety of tenants that don't necessarily even complement each other. While the theme of amateur sports has been tossed around, I don't know that ASU can really bank on the area becoming a hotbed for such programs, and therefore, they could end up simply filling in spec office space with whoever puts in the best offer.

You mentioned how the District could serve as an important connection between downtown, the lakefront, TMP, Riverview, Papago Park, etc. And, I totally agree, which is yet another reason I think the current and planned routes for the streetcar are a miss. In my dream world, these are my key points for the District:

1. For Veterans Way and Rural Road to become the main, urban "boulevards" of the District; if designed correctly, the retail along these roads would broaden the boundaries of downtown (though Veterans Way obviously has some tricky shapes to it). The idea of a completely mixed use village across this amount of land seems unreasonable, and rather than scatter random restaurants and retail throughout, I think it would work much better to create small blocks that are all oriented toward these boulevards for their retail needs.
2. For the corner of Rural/Rio Salado to become the mass transit center that should have been built at Phoenix's Central Station. 2 streetcar lines (the currently proposed line extended through Mesa, as well as a 2nd that runs along Priest and Rural and down McDowell into the Papago Park region) and 1 BRT line (planned from Chandler Blvd. to McDowell Rd.) would converge in a mixed use tower whose ground level would become an ethnic markeplace opening up to the lake and which would become the center of ASU's international study programs. A seasonal restaurant would border the lake, where ferry services would be launched, and the upper levels would be used or transit offices and a 4-star hotel.
3. Rural Road would between Rio Salado and University would become a defining gateway to ASU, with an expanded linear park running down the length of it with large signage/monuments. The west side would be lined with 5-story live/work units targeted toward recent graduates, wrapping 2 parking structures that serve the campus and stadium/arena. On the east side, similar mixed-use midrise residential would wrap some big box retail outlets.
An office/classroom tower at the corner of Rural/University would help transition into more school-focused buildings.
4. The lakefront would be used for state-of-the-art athletic training/competition facilities in an "athlete's village" setup; Wells Fargo Arena, the baseball/softball stadiums, and Mona Plummer Aquatic Center would all be moved to the area. High-rise residential dorms would put student-athletes right next to these facilities, and would serve as living quarters for international exchanges and future multi-sport Games such as the PanAms.
5. On the south side of Rio Salado, research and medical buildings will feed into a health-and-wellness campus with a health clinic, physical trainers, public gym (e.g., LA Fitness), spa, etc.
6. A mix of residential options throughout is important so that this doesn't become a giant deadzone during the summer as students leave campus. Undergrad dorms, loft-style apartments for recent grads, live/work units for the creative class, and even smartly-planned single-family homes should all be included, as this should be an inclusive part of Tempe comfortable for people of all ages. I'd also like to see the Villas senior project at SouthBank eventually built.

Jjs5056
May 19, 2015, 11:34 PM
They have been keeping this very close to the vest. It looks like the DRC got a preview of the project in their study session last week, but no link to the file. It is up for review next Tuesday, so we should see the file posted any day now. I keep looking. I can't wait to see this one!

Heh. When I type in "T," the first suggested site is the development review's meetings page. :)

Leo the Dog
May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM

Corner Bakery is great. This should be successful. There's one in Mission Valley, that is difficult to get to with the traffic pattern with the 8 and the heavy congestion of the area. Every time I've stopped in there it is packed.

azsunsurfer
May 20, 2015, 6:24 PM
Interesting the "7S" project will be split in two phases...at least they are building the tallest tower at once. I guess the long nature of the building's footprint reminds me of 100Mill (Mill + Rio).

PHXFlyer11
May 20, 2015, 6:44 PM
Interesting the "7S" project will be split in two phases...at least they are building the tallest tower at once. I guess the long nature of the building's footprint reminds me of 100Mill (Mill + Rio).

Where did you see this Sunsurfer? I've been looking all over for information. Can you share a link?

azsunsurfer
May 20, 2015, 6:46 PM
Where did you see this Sunsurfer? I've been looking all over for information. Can you share a link?

http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/city-clerk-s-office/boards-and-commissions/boards-commissions-committees-and-other-public-bodies/development-review-commission

PHXFlyer11
May 20, 2015, 8:43 PM
http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/city-clerk-s-office/boards-and-commissions/boards-commissions-committees-and-other-public-bodies/development-review-commission

Thanks! Usually the update the file name when they update the agenda with links, I didn't click it because it seemed like the same file.

Overall impressions, I agree with you sunsurfer, I wish it wasn't phased, but the tallest goes up first so that is good.

I don't love the design, but it's decent. Also, I like the fact no co-signers on this property, so they are marketing to young professionals.

azsunsurfer
May 20, 2015, 8:47 PM
I think Tempe may be overbuilding hotel rooms by the time all these hotels come to fruition (although I see only half of them being built).

PHXFlyer11
May 21, 2015, 2:04 AM
I think Tempe may be overbuilding hotel rooms by the time all these hotels come to fruition (although I see only half of them being built).

I looked at the file again. It looks like they will actually build the two tallest towers first, the first residential tower and the hotel tower. It is the third and shortest planned residential tower that is phase 2.

Hopefully they see great demand and end up actually building the third tower taller than planned.

The market seems prime right now for a residential tower on the lake. People love the W6 highrises despite their high rents and pool elevators, students, etc. I think there would be demand for a condo or apartment tower on the lake.

Also, I noticed both of the South Bank proposals were removed from the agenda. Hopefully the developer realized they would never get approved at 5 stories and is going back to the drawing board. Wishful thinking probably, but good for Tempe for sticking to their guns. There won't be much land left soon zoned for 300ft, so we need to start building up now.

ASUSunDevil
May 21, 2015, 3:44 PM
I looked at the file again. It looks like they will actually build the two tallest towers first, the first residential tower and the hotel tower. It is the third and shortest planned residential tower that is phase 2.

Hopefully they see great demand and end up actually building the third tower taller than planned.

The market seems prime right now for a residential tower on the lake. People love the W6 highrises despite their high rents and pool elevators, students, etc. I think there would be demand for a condo or apartment tower on the lake.

Also, I noticed both of the South Bank proposals were removed from the agenda. Hopefully the developer realized they would never get approved at 5 stories and is going back to the drawing board. Wishful thinking probably, but good for Tempe for sticking to their guns. There won't be much land left soon zoned for 300ft, so we need to start building up now.

I think a residential high-rise would do excellent on the west side of the lake. The lot that formerly housed Club Rio (next to Audio Express) seems like the perfect fit. That site is the gateway to Tempe from Rural and the 202, and the views of Marina Heights would be incredible. A market rate high-rise (similar to the proposed Central Station in Downtown PHX) would draw huge demand at that site.

PHXFlyer11
May 21, 2015, 3:50 PM
I think a residential high-rise would do excellent on the west side of the lake. The lot that formerly housed Club Rio (next to Audio Express) seems like a perfect fit. That site is the gateway to Tempe from Rural or the 202, and the views of Marina Heights would be incredible. A market rate high-rise (similar to the proposed Central Station in Downtown PHX) would draw huge demand at that site.

That would be awesome if they could build two residential towers there. Also, I don't believe The Jefferson was ever approved (I could be wrong). If not, it seems like the residents of Northshore really want a condo high-rise as to not destroy their condo values. It would be great to see 2-3 towers pop up on the remaining land on the north side.

There was also a plan approved for a 10-story office + parking on vacant lot in front of Grigio. I think they have had trouble finding tenants though with those ugly power lines, so it hasn't moved.

azsunsurfer
May 21, 2015, 4:17 PM
The Jefferson was approved and will be breaking ground really soon.

rocksteady
May 25, 2015, 5:17 AM
Its very obviously apartments under construction.....

Obvious to people who don't live there and haven't been in over a year as they are flying by at 80mph? You are all such friendly, warm people over a simple question.

Jjs5056
May 26, 2015, 9:55 PM

1. You mentioned in a different post that you weren't crazy about the design; what do you see as missing? While I'll always prefer subterranean parking, I think the development does a decent job at integrating the podium and using it to break up the scale of the entire project. Overall, the slender towers and distinct podium help create visual interest as opposed to one, chunky tower (see the 2nd version of University Square); while the mix of uses along the ground level break up what could have been a massive superblock. Bringing market rate residential and hotel rooms to the area between College and Mill will help drive retail and other infill development that will complete this section of downtown. University looks great at the ground level, and while Forest and Myrtle are both impacted by garage ramps/loading docks, there was at least attention paid to placing retail at the corners of each in order to prevent an entire block of dead space. Overall, I think the design is pretty ideal for this location.

2. It's disappointing that the 3rd tower will be built in a 2nd phase, as I think creating a continuous block of urban-scale development along 7th between College and Mill is an important connection to be made. However, there is no chance that tower will be reconfigured to be any taller than what is shown in the current proposal; not only was the current height likely stipulated within the approvals, the 3rd tower was sold to the neighboring condo-owners as being the lowest, and serving as a transition to less-intense uses moving north of University. I hope there is a market for high-end residential, or else we'll be stuck with a grass/parking lot for quite some time.

3. I stated this previously, but SouthBank will almost certainly be approved at 5 and 6 stories; The Jefferson (which was approved pending a parking circulation study/confirmation), Vela, SkyWater, and SALT have all been approved at similar/smaller heights. The last proposal was denied for multiple reasons; the height fell into the "fails to meet the intensity of uses designated for the site" rationale, but the new proposals address this by adding a couple of floors, along with a large amount of retail and live/work space that wasn't there originally.

4. I think we'd all love to see a high-rise residential project along the lake, but if there were demand for one, it would have been built. The rental market will never be hotter in Tempe than it was over the last 3 years, and aside from University House, all residential development topped out at 5/6 stories. If prime parcels like the Hanover lot were wasted on single-use 6-story projects, then I think that's a pretty good indication that the market just isn't supporting the added costs of high-rise construction.

I think the latest wave of projects in the 200' range are the most realistic Tempe will be attracting for quite some time. I've said before I am skeptical that all of this hotel demand exists especially with the lack of brand names being linked to these projects, but I also think the rental residential market will begin to saturate fairly soon. I hope all of the proposed projects get off the ground, because Tempe would end up with a nice, midrise skyline extending from University to the lake (though towers on the Hanover and Ash/Uni parcels would've been great) with Marina Heights, HFL, Hayden Flour Mill, 100 Mill, University House, W6, and 7S.

If these projects all get built, Tempe will definitely transition from college town to a diverse, urban market (albeit quite small). With the influx of new office workers at Marina Heights, 100 Mill, and HFL3, along with a more mature retail scene due to the residential projects like Hanover and 7S, hopefully Tempe will be positioned well to take advantage of the next condo boom. I think the "Hayden Harbor" and SouthBank properties will almost certainly see the highest residential developments in the city at some point.

Jjs5056
May 26, 2015, 10:02 PM
I think it's interesting that the M7 assemblage was sold off to 2 different investors. According to the group that owns the majority of the land, it sounded like talks were headed in the direction of a joint venture to create a project that takes advantage of the entire site. But, the owner of the parcel smack in the middle, wrote to the City (see: the M7 time extension) saying that they have plans underway and might be ready to show them by end of year.

On one hand, I think having one owner or a committed joint venture might make development of the site more realistic. It also increases the chance of a large-scale project with height, and reduces the risk of pieces of the site being left undeveloped for years. However, it might not be a bad thing if, instead of waiting 10 years for the market to support an M7-scale proposal, more mid-range projects are prepared for the site. In fact, it would probably be best from a pedestrian/urban form standpoint if multiple projects were built as opposed to one megaproject.

Anyway, just some thoughts as this area definitely seems to be the next obvious "hot spot" and will be an even bigger gap in the urban fabric once 7S is completed.

PHXFlyer11
May 26, 2015, 10:19 PM
I feel like it's been really dead for while on these boards, so I'll reply :)

1. You mentioned in a different post that you weren't crazy about the design; what do you see as missing? While I'll always prefer subterranean parking, I think the development does a decent job at integrating the podium and using it to break up the scale of the entire project. Overall, the slender towers and distinct podium help create visual interest as opposed to one, chunky tower (see the 2nd version of University Square); while the mix of uses along the ground level break up what could have been a massive superblock. Bringing market rate residential and hotel rooms to the area between College and Mill will help drive retail and other infill development that will complete this section of downtown. University looks great at the ground level, and while Forest and Myrtle are both impacted by garage ramps/loading docks, there was at least attention paid to placing retail at the corners of each in order to prevent an entire block of dead space. Overall, I think the design is pretty ideal for this location.

It's more the materials and colors in the renderings, but I know these often can differ and look different on paper. I am also a bit skeptical exactly how much of the street frontage will be activated with pedestrian entrances and retail. But I guess since it's outward facing it could never be as bad as Cityscape.

2. It's disappointing that the 3rd tower will be built in a 2nd phase, as I think creating a continuous block of urban-scale development along 7th between College and Mill is an important connection to be made. However, there is no chance that tower will be reconfigured to be any taller than what is shown in the current proposal; not only was the current height likely stipulated within the approvals, the 3rd tower was sold to the neighboring condo-owners as being the lowest, and serving as a transition to less-intense uses moving north of University. I hope there is a market for high-end residential, or else we'll be stuck with a grass/parking lot for quite some time.

That makes sense then. I read some of that feedback.

3. I stated this previously, but SouthBank will almost certainly be approved at 5 and 6 stories; The Jefferson (which was approved pending a parking circulation study/confirmation), Vela, SkyWater, and SALT have all been approved at similar/smaller heights. The last proposal was denied for multiple reasons; the height fell into the "fails to meet the intensity of uses designated for the site" rationale, but the new proposals address this by adding a couple of floors, along with a large amount of retail and live/work space that wasn't there originally.

Didn't they reject a few SouthBank proposals though that were 5-6 stories already? That seems to be one area where they are sticking to their guns.

4. I think we'd all love to see a high-rise residential project along the lake, but if there were demand for one, it would have been built. The rental market will never be hotter in Tempe than it was over the last 3 years, and aside from University House, all residential development topped out at 5/6 stories. If prime parcels like the Hanover lot were wasted on single-use 6-story projects, then I think that's a pretty good indication that the market just isn't supporting the added costs of high-rise construction.

I think there is demand. If you look at the rates that W6 is able to charge just for being a high-rise it's quite incredible. I'd think something similar on the lake could do even better. Maybe one condo tower and one apartment tower that could later be converted to condos.

I killed the rest of your reply cause it was so long, but I agree that once all the new office space is online we could see some more high-rise residential come to market. At that point, the residential demand (and possibly hotel demand) will be behind the supply. Then we start all over again! Fun times in Tempe!

Jjs5056
May 27, 2015, 2:30 PM
The materials looked okay, though I don't anything proposed in Tempe during this latest wave. Everything is quite square/rectangle; but, at least there is some variety and deviance from the blue-glass look that seemed to dominate every rendering last time around. It's a shame that University House looks like it'll remain one of the taller structures for quite some time, and is definitely the worst looking.

SouthBank's last proposal was for 4-5 stories, IIRC, and the height was never specifically mentioned as a reason for the denied request; instead, it was a factor within only one of several reasons cited for the denied request, which was that the proposal lacked the intensity expected for the area. The other concerns were the suburban materials and lack of commercial/mixed use elements. Assuming the new designs include a better materials palette, they've pretty much addressed every concern of the committee. They've added a great deal of commercial and live/work space to each building, which provides additional variety in living options, and provides a good foundation for public interaction as the rest of the lots develop. This could already be seen as intensifying the use of each, but they've also added floors and we've yet to see if they might have also added density by reducing unit size, # of multi-bedroom units, etc. As mentioned, several other developments of similar/equal heights have been approved, so it wouldn't be consistent for this not to get the green light. Height is likely one of the last factors the committee looks for, assuming the uses and density levels seem adequate for the area.

And, yes, my reply was even longer than usual just since there's been nothing being discussed - sorry. But, to the last point re: demand, I think the success of a W6 proved that there was a demand for luxury rentals in the downtown market. The explosion of ~5-story luxury projects were in response to this demand: they are providing a quality product with urban amenities and convenience. But, I don't know that W6 proved there was a demand for high-rise living specifically, or at least enough so to warrant the increased costs that are magnified once you pursue heights over 5 stories. I don't know the economics, but either banks aren't financing such projects or developers continue to believe they'll get the same or better return on a lowrise project, or we would've seen at least a few high rise proposals this go-around, which is what makes me think it might not be until condo projects are viable that we see taller residential buildings.

On the plus side, some of the smaller projects have some pretty serious density levels (such as Hanover) and will have a positive effect despite some of the design flaws/shortcomings. Hopefully, this positive effect will be big enough to encourage more non-student housing, which inevitably needs to go taller as the remaining lots are few and a lot are smaller in size.

Jjs5056
May 27, 2015, 3:30 PM
Just random thoughts, but I think the ideal heights for Tempe are probably somewhere between the ones proposed in ~2006 and the ones that have been proposed/built in recent years. Obviously, the market dictates what is built ultimately, but I think some projects (e.g., Hanover) missed the mark on design beyond just the height.

While Hanover packed in a ton of units, I would have been okay with giving up that density for a taller project (2 towers around the height of W6 II) that featured a symmetrical plaza to the one at W6 with retail opening onto it. I think the current setup of 6th is really messy-looking and is a dead-end; the retail at W6 is kind of ignored because the plaza has no real continuous pedestrian activity. If a mirrored version was attached, it would create a nice visual and active end-cap to 6th which is one of the more urban side streets, as well as a larger open space for residents.

I like the design of Rio+Mill much better than its last; 15 stories is more appropriate for the Mill Ave frontage, and the new towers will create a nice gateway. I do wish the 2nd tower along Rio Salado was a little taller; by switching the hotel and office, and adding more office space to the hotel tower and/or attracting a dual-brand hotel? Visually, it would've been nice to have a bit more contrast in that area to define the start of downtown, as the proposed heights are fairly similar to the lakefront projects.

Hanover, SALT, The Jefferson, SkyWater, etc. all seem fairly out-of-place, and I would have liked to have seen projects of these sizes built along the edge of downtown: along Farmer, or within the Mill > College area. If the Ash/University site ends up being ~7 stories like it sounds like it will, the Ash and Farmer streetscapes will be a big letdown. The former MOSAIC was a great project, and the mix of uses/heights for Farmer to buffer the lowrise neighborhoods to the west was a great plan. Hopefully, the University/Ash site is reevaluated now or during the next boom and its size increased; and, that some projects other than senior housing are added to the mix along Farmer.

PHXFlyer11
May 27, 2015, 10:00 PM
Anyone know if the DRC approved the 7th towers last night? It didn't seem like there was much opposition.

azsunsurfer
May 27, 2015, 10:28 PM
They re-added Southbank!

PHXFlyer11
May 27, 2015, 10:52 PM
They re-added Southbank!

I saw that, but the files only loaded the 1-page summaries, no renderings!

PHXFlyer11
May 28, 2015, 3:34 PM
This appears to be "near" Priest and Washington. 100 Mill and the project right there (spacing on the name) seem to have been to late to the game. They could've filled some decent space! Good regardless to see a new up and coming company in the downtown area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/05/28/san-francisco-insurance-company-to-open-office-in.html

azsunsurfer
May 28, 2015, 6:54 PM
The Grand

Obadno
May 28, 2015, 7:01 PM
The Grand

Do go on...